Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

BMW X5

Comments

• Options
    ms_joannems_joanne Member Posts: 69
    I always use premium. That is what the manual calls for and if I am coughing up this much cash for a vehicle I'm definitly not going to go against the manufacturer's recommendation to save myself a couple of hundred dollars a YEAR. That makes no sense to me.
  • Options
    gemni1gemni1 Member Posts: 12
    I haven't posted to you in a while, I wanted to do a lot of research before I placed my order (will do so w/in the next 2-3 weeks). I have several questions for you! (1) How are you doing with your X5? (2)Do you still like your color choices? (3) If you have Xenons, do you like them? (4) What do you know about the Prem. Sound System?

I'm considering either the Alpine White or Titanium Silver, Gray Leather, Auto., Prem. Sound, 6 disc CD, PDC, Mirrors, and Xenons. I respect you opinion, so please let me know what you think about these options and colors. Thanks a lot!
  • Options
    kabbalahkabbalah Member Posts: 58
    I'm turning in my 98 Toyota Land Cruiser in a couple of months. Loved it, had no problems except for it appetite for brakes. I drove the 3.0 X5, wasn't impressed power wise, and I'm thinking about the 4.4 V8. Used to have a 540i which was great. My wife is pressing me for another LC or LX 470 due to the space & comfort. Easy for her to say when she is leaning towards getting an Audi S4 tiptronic. I'm getting tired of driving a house on wheels through LA. traffic. Does anybody have any good advise on the X5 4.4? I'm a little concerned over some of the many problems that I've been reading about, mostly concerning the 3.0. Do these problems plague the 4.4 liter also? Just for the record, I've looked at every other SUV option, including the front wheel drive Aura MDX (Ha Ha!), and the new Cadillac Escalade. I think that the Escalade was a nice vehicle, although driving a vehicle with the Cadillac nameplate would probably make me ill every morning. I'm in my 40's, not 70's. Besides that, the residuals were a real joke, and American reliability is another unanswered question. Back to Bimmerland. Any thoughts or dealer recommendations (in Southern California area) would be greatly appreciated.

Alan
    kabbalah@mindspring.com
  • Options
    arod2arod2 Member Posts: 10
    I recommend that you contact a dealer. However, since the X7 is still only a concept I would say you could go ahead and buy/lease a new car now, drive it for 3+ years and then maybe you'd be able to buy an X7. BTW, the bigger these SAV's get the less sporty they'll be...even if it is a BMW. If you need a big SUV get the LX470.
  • Options
    dennettdennett Member Posts: 332
    I've heard the X5s are known for burning a quart of oil every 2500 miles or so, is this reality?
  • Options
    raylauburaylaubu Member Posts: 15
    I live in Boston area. I called couple dealers. The best deal I got was 1000 off msrp on a x5 3.0

Anyone got better offer? or is that pretty much all discount off msrp?
  • Options
    sel2sel2 Member Posts: 2
    I've been reading the message board for several months. Thanks for all the advice as I'm about to order a 3.0 Silver/Black non-sport with most other options (for my wife/family). I plan to buy a new or used 3 series for me later if we like the "BMW experience". I did drive a used 3.0 black/black/most options with 21,000 miles last night. For sale at dealer pre-certified with 6yr/100k warranty for 39,700..very tempting/good price. Wanted to see how the vehicle "aged" with 21,000 miles on it. Drove like new, but didn't buy because wife wants silver/climate package/cargo floor. Brings me to my three questions:
    -Why not just buy privacy glass for $275 and skip Climate package? Seems like some people having trouble with settings/maintaining proper temp with split controls/memory? Without climate package, controls are straight forward, and there's no noisy console fan for the backseat.
    -How do you get rear seat individual spot reading lights? I thought I remember driving a demo with this feature, but the used one last night didn't have it...just had an overhead "dome" light for back seat people.
    -Can you selectively disable passenger side airbag. My 60 pound daughter desperately wants to ride in front/feels left out...don't blame her!
    Thanks you again for continued advice.
  • Options
    njbarannjbaran Member Posts: 2
    Just purchased a Per-Owned 00' X5 4.4i with the Sport Package. Traded a 99' 740iL (had lots of problems with).

Joanne, on your list of questions.

1 Week in and we love it. Fuel Economy pretty bad (4.4i get 13-17; 3.0i gets 15-19 Mpg).

We have the Silver and Gray, with the Sport Pkg you get a Black headline which looks nice.

DC is a nice option to have (for $350 I would get it). We do not have Xenon's; had them on the 740iL. They do light the road well, but the Sand Halo gens are not bad.

We have the Navigation System (same as the 740iL) and it does make the Stereo and On-Board Computer more function. Perm Sound (ESP) sound great in
    my opinion.

Not sure where you live, but get the Heated Steering Wheel (if in cold climate); my wife loves it with the same going for the Heated Seats.

Sport Pkg give a tiller ride, and it does hug the road pretty good. On the 4.4i, you get 19" Rims, which sitting close to the ground, are very
    easy to sratch.

On the reliability of the 4.4i, mine has 9K Miles and I saw the services record and it was only
    in the shop twice in the 1 year in service (@ 3.5K and 5.9K Miles). Not sure what was done, but I have not found any of the problems they speak of on the boards (Whining AM Radio, Lift Gate, Sun-roof, Oil Burn - may be too early).

One pain that I noticed, is that once you open the lift (from the dashboard) and close a door,
    the upper lift gets sucked in and latches. You have to use the remote or keep the door open before you open the hatch.
  • Options
    jma199jma199 Member Posts: 6
    I live in the Boston area and can only find dealers giving MSRP for an ordered X5 3.0. They give up to $1500 off for in stock 4.4s but always with the wrong options. Was your $1000 off MSRP an in stock vehicle or an ordered one and who was the dealer giving the $1000 discount. Thanks for your help.
  • Options
    bkfurnbkfurn Member Posts: 7
    Mine was at the dealer in Danvers. Just about $1,000 off MSRP with exactly the options I wanted on a 4.4. The car was ordered but came in in less than a month, as they already have build dates that they can customize.
  • Options
    To everyone....

<< (1) How are you doing with your X5? >>
    I am doing very well. I have had a couple of minor problems (had to have the thermostat replaced as it set of something that triggered the Check Engine Soon light. Recently, the drivers heated seat got a little too hot so I wanted them to check it out. Other than that it is perfect.

(<< 2)Do you still like your color choices? >>
    White is my color choice and has been for years and years. I love it. I love the way my X looks. It is still my favorite color.

<< (3) If you have Xenons, do you like them? >>
    I have them and yes and do as to whether I like them. They are very bright which I like. There is a very distinct line from light to dark which takes a lot of getting used to. Also, with the self leveling light if you are coming over even the slightest of hills your vision will be reduced to a matter of a few feet and I hate that. In hindsight I don't know if I would get them again. I love the bright, bright light. I am not so sure about that auto leveling, though.

<< (4) What do you know about the Prem. Sound System? >>
    No, sorry.

<< I'm considering either the Alpine White or Titanium Silver, Gray Leather, Auto., Prem. Sound, 6 disc CD, PDC, Mirrors, and Xenons. I respect you opinion, so please let me know what you think about these options and colors. Thanks a lot! >>
    I have the Alpine White so I am pretty biased when it comes to color. The silver is boring to me. Everyone has it. I don't like that. Gray is a great color for the interior...I have black but gray was my 2nd choice. I am not a fan of PDC because I don't like noise. I'll take my chances on my own. I didn't like the self-dimming mirrors as I felt it was too dark for me. That is a personal preference, though. I addressed the xenons above.

<< I've heard the X5s are known for burning a quart of oil every 2500 miles or so, is this reality? >>
    I have heard of some people saying they had oil use problems...I never heard a response about what happened once they took it to the dealer and what BMW said. I can't fully address that. Perhaps if you go to www.bimmer.org/x5/messages and do a search in the archives you can locate more information. Sorry

<< Do these problems plague the 4.4 liter also? >>
    Actually, it was my understanding that the 4.4i was buggier than the 3.0. I have a 3.0i and have had virtually no problems. I consider myself lucky.

<< -Why not just buy privacy glass for $275 and skip Climate package? Seems like some people having trouble with settings/maintaining proper temp with split controls/memory? Without climate package, controls are straight forward, and there's no noisy console fan for the backseat.>>
    I considered that but I wanted the separate controls for driver/passenger. In hindsight I would have done just what you said. I understand that the controls are much better with the analog and I wouldn't get the package if I was to order now. I would have ordered the glass only. (If they let me...it is not an option on the 3.0i.)

<< -How do you get rear seat individual spot reading lights? I thought I remember driving a demo with this feature, but the used one last night didn't have it...just had an overhead "dome" light for back seat people. >>
    I don't know. I never investigated. My dogs are the only living things that ever ride in back.

<< -Can you selectively disable passenger side airbag. My 60 pound daughter desperately wants to ride in front/feels left out...don't blame her! >>
    I don't know that, either. You would have to ask BMW. I would doubt it. You can disable the rear ones (rather BMW can, you can't -to the best of my knowledge) but I doubt if they would allow that in the front seat.

Best to all!

J
  • Options
    drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    Glad to hear that you're doing well. Regarding the Xenons, it sounds to me like the X5's is a lot more conservative than MBz's. Unfortunately auto-leveling is needed since the light is bright and when you're cresting a hill, you don't want to blind someone and cause them to plow into your X!. I have heard no such problems with MB ML55's that do have Xenons + autoleveling though, which is why this leads me to believe that the X5's is more conservative. Consider getting your dealership to check the out as to whether they're within factory specs.

I have heard numerous oil burning scenarios with new Bimmers, and this issue is not limited to the X5. In fact I remember reading a few M5 owners complaining that that new cars consumed 1.5-2 quarts every 3000 miles! That was rather shocking to me, and I'm happy to read that yours has not exhibited this trait.

Best of luck,

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
  • Options
    I've had my 4.4 sport pkg Silv/Black, w/ all options except nav & xenon, for a week now. Through the first 500 miles, (after trading a 540i sport pkg, that I had for two years), I have the following impressions:
    Positive: Like the power & handling, love the looks, sliding cargo floor option is very convenient. First suv, so high driving position is kind of cool!

Negative: seats are not as comfortable as the 540i. Rattles from various things in the back. Ride w/sport package and 19" low profile tires sucks! Bounces hard over every bump in the road. I never got to test drive a 4.4 w/sport, as no dealer had one available w/sport. Therefore, my idea of the ride of 4.4 was from the 18" all season tires, and the more compliant suspension. Anyway, after telling the dealer that I hate the ride, and I want to get rid of the car, after one week, he convinced me to try switching to the other tire pkg, to try that first, as he insisted it would fix at least 50% of the ride stiffness. I'm trying that this week. It actually was nice of them to offer, since they could have taken the "Sorry, you own it" stance.
    I will post again after switch, as it will probably be the only one of that combination around. (4.4 sport with the non-sport wheel/tire pkg.)
    Also, didn't get the xenon because wife has them on her RX300, and although they are bright, they annoy oncoming drivers, as we get highbeam flashed all the time! It's not worth it. The regular ones work just fine!
  • Options
    There are plenty of 4.4's around the greater Boston area now. Dealer told me they are discounting now, as supply has caught up. Look for $1,000 to $1,500 off.
  • Options
    I am pretty happy that my X doesn't have some of the undesirable "quirks" that I have heard of....and pretty thankful. As I said in a post once before...any new car is a crap shoot. Some have more crap than others, though. I am glad that this one, thus far, is pretty flawless.

Good to see your pixels again! Hope to be around a little more than I have been of late. Remains to be seen, though.

Take care!

Joanne
  • Options
    My 4Runner was black and while it was beautiful, as you said, it did indded show EVERYTHING! I can drive my X in its filthiest condition (ok, the filthiest I can tolerate which isn't that bad ) and it's still virtually clean. The 4Runner was dirty pretty much after the first snowflake hit it...nevermind the salt issue!

I've always been partial to white and blue. I liked the blue BMW offered but I couldn't quite come up with the right interior (now is that a girl thing or what?? )...it needed a nicely matched blue interior, IMHO, of course. :)

Enjoy your baby! I sure am mine!
  • Options
    adam34adam34 Member Posts: 2
    For long hauls, does this really drive as good as a sedan? Seems too goo to be true. Really would like sedan (5 series or E class), but have new child and concerned about cargo space for longer trips....led me to X5. But really don't want 'truckie' feel (though tested a bunch and this seems best) And station wagon is too socccer mom dad for me now
  • Options
    mainsailmainsail Member Posts: 2
    When I recently purchased my X5 (3.0L fully loaded), the dealer gave me about $2K off the MSRP, but then added "dealer costs" that amounted to about $900. These additional costs were identified as national advertising fees and car preparation costs. I had never seen or heard of this before when buying other cars (Lexus, Acura, Ford). Have any of you been charged for these types of things? I have to admit that I was very suspicious that the dealer was just trying to recoup some of the discount it had originally agreed to. Thanks for your thoughts on this.
  • Options
    dgunx5dgunx5 Member Posts: 3
    I have had my X5 3.0i for three months and have loved each and every moment in it. Drive, looks, feel, sound, everything is what you expect from a BMW. I have a transmission selector light that would not go out, but even in -30 degree weather(Michigan) it did not effect my battery and started with the first try. This is by far the best SUV that I have owned. I feel sorry about all of the problems that some people are having, but I just wanted to send a positive note on my X5 experience.
  • Options
    sws555sws555 Member Posts: 1
    My dad just ordered a new X54.4 w/sport package and prem sound for my mom. I was wondering A. how long it ussually takes for them to build one and ship it to L.A. and B. how good the prem sound is. I've read some of the posts about it but none of them seem to really describe it well. Is it pretty good? thanks.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Did we mention that Edmunds has a video clip of the '01 X5? (it's under "Road Tests" on that link).

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • Options
    panamaltd2panamaltd2 Member Posts: 162
    Hey everyone! I have a quick question for you. BMW is going to be building a small SUV called the X3 which I would like to get. I was wondering how far in advance did guys order your X5's? I will be turning in my current car right about the time it comes out and I would like to know how far in advance I should get on a waiting list, or even if I should get on a waiting list. Thanks, Sam
  • Options
    carbon_00carbon_00 Member Posts: 17
    Hello all,

I finally decided to trade in my 2000 ML430 on a new 2001 X5 3.0i with the Sport package, PDC, running boards etc... A few questions..

1) Upon rolling down the windows and up again the window made some loud creaking noises and it almost seemed as if the window motor was trying to continue closing even when shut.

-Is this a common problem that any of you have encountered? what is the fix?

2) There is a faint whistling noise from the sunroof...what is the fix?

However, there appears to be an added bonus!! I looked in teh centre console and found that the X5 is wired for the integrated telephone. Unfortunately it doesn't work with my StarTac..what is the procedure for getting it to work? DO I need the BMW phone?

I love the X5, I had a 540 then traded it in on the ML430 for baby hauling duty...it sucked..really sucked.

Its good to be back in the family again, never should have left.

Any feedback would be much appreciated. I recommend Town and Country BMW in Toronto...great sales team and service dept..

Cheers!
  • Options
    whatwasthatwhatwasthat Member Posts: 23
    Hope you enjoy your new X5! We are looking into SUV's for baby-hauling duty, as well. Leaning towards the ML due to larger space in back (wife and I are both tall -- two kids, one each in forward and rear-facing car seats). Curious about how you fit in the X5? How does the space compare between the two? BTW -- sorry about your ML woes. Current car is Audi A4 avant -- much too small in back.
  • Options
    I got the ML for baby hauling as well, but the pathetic build quality and floating sofa ride from the disassociated steering put me into the X5. I'm not going to be hauling 4x8's from Home Depot. Don't do anything befoe you take the babies to the dealership with all the stuff...go from there...But my advise, after my experence and what I've seen and read, the X5 is better..period
  • Options
    I absolutely love the X5, but the cargo holding ability is pathetic. I want one, but due to the lack of space behind the rear seat just can't do it. We too have a baby and his stroller, a large one, pretty much fills the rear cargo area. With two kids in carseats I just don't see how you could possible get them and all the associated gear in the car. Maybe a roof top cargo carrier could do it? I think carbon's experience with the ML is atypical for the 00 and later MLs. I hear about as many problems with the Xs as the MLs, and the Xs really are overpriced when compared to an ML/RX/MDX, but all that said, the X is the only one that I've driven that really excites me, as do it's looks both interior and exterior when compared to the ML. I'm sitting on the fence waiting to hear about the extended X5s. I wish the all new MLs were coming sooner, but it's likely 3 years before they come out. Good luck!
  • Options
    Thank you for your responses. I agree that nothing (that we can afford) drives like a BMW -- we have an old 5 series I put about 200K miles on. I'm actually more concerned about the rear seat room (re: carseats positioned behind front seats) than the cargo area (though both are significant issues and I failed to make clear which I meant)

Wife and I drove an ML -- no M3, but acceptable handling-wise. I will get the A4 to dart around in anyway.

Please let me know if you have any impressions about the rear seat room.

Thanks again.
  • Options
    holliannholliann Member Posts: 2
    I am supposed to order my X5 3.0, automatic, premium, climate, in dash CD tomorrow!!! I'm having difficulty with the color choice. I see no posts about the pearl beige metallic color. Why is that? My 95 Honda is cashmere and my husband's 87 BMW is bronze-it. I really like these muted silver/gold colors, but the pearl beige metallic is looking too gold. Has anyone seen this color and if so what was your impression? I might be going white with sand beige leather interior like the old Toyota.

I was considering lumbar support or sport seats - are they really worth it? I'm about talked out of the xenons from reading all that has been posted due to expense of replacing them, this auto leveling business, and sharp cutoff between light and dark. We have a lot of deer on the sides of the road.

Is the back seat fan with the climate pkg all that noisy considering temperature finicky children in the back seat?

Also, I listen almost 100% to talk radio - can't see getting premium sound.

Comments appreciated - and quick!
  • Options
    holiann ---

Color is so personal, if you like it, get it, who cares what anyone else says..

I have the sports seats, love them, I find that I am sitting "in" the seat, rather then "on" it.. Of course your bodysize and physiology is probably different, try them both.

I would recommend the Xenons however, we have deer up at teh cottage, I use the fog lights in conjunction with the Xenons, no problem, I can see their eyes at some distance...

I would rather have a little noise from a fan then from two uncomfortable kids.. I haven't noticed this noise however, so it may be atypical to the previous persons car.

Good luck and enjoy whatever you get!
  • Options
    gemni1gemni1 Member Posts: 12
    I've seen the Pearl Beige metallic on the road several times here in Connecticut. I'm sorry, but I don't like it. It really is too gold for my taste. I read on the other BMW site where someone said that the Pearl Beige was a woman's color. I'm a woman, but I don't like it! I would go with the Alpine White, I'm ordering soon and that's my #1 choice. As a matter of fact I saw a White X5 today on my way home. I love the White, Go for it!
  • Options
    Any feedback or your solutions to these few issues would be appreciated

1. Currently, when car is in gear and at a standstill the drivers side mirror and steering wheel vibrates very noticeably. When applying brake and very lightly revving engine while in gear, the vibration stops. ( Reprogram idle speed to a higher setting ?? )

2. Climate control goes absolutely berserk when set on "auto" at any temperature ( i.e., 22 degrees, no air conditioner) The fan will blow violently even at the lowest setting, This occurs at irregular intervals when driving , both with the a/c on and off, when heating or cooling. The climate control then almost sounds as if its wheezing or leaking in behind the dash area. A client of mine with an X5 had a similar problem that was fixed by a new sensor and a software upgrade.

3. Front side windows rattle and crack when rolled up. It seems as if the window regulator thinks there is another inch of space to roll window into at the top of the window frame. ( new regulators or clips, like the fix for the E46's ??? )

4. Cargo gate latch is loose and rattles, occasionally double fires when releasing the top glass portion.

5. Right rear door rattles. ( delivery item )

6. Steering column squeak ( silicon solution was sprayed on at delivery )

7. Driver side seat belt still does not retract automatically
  • Options
    kenyeekenyee Member Posts: 738
    carbon_00:
    I'd have to agree w/ dennett. I think your 00 ML experience is atypical from all the folks who have gotten them on the m-class mailing list.
    Would you think your current problem list w/ the X5 is typical? I've read some of the experiences w/ the X5 on bimmer.org and it sounds like you have problems that were fixed at least a few months ago (the idle problem in particular). Or do you think Joanne's lack of problems is typical?

whatwasthat:
    If you think handling is important, you should wait for the 2002 ML. They ML320 will be getting 17" wheels instead of the current 16" ones. This means narrower tires which means better handling and more feel, though it may be more "stiff". It'll probably make it feel more like the ML430.
    But if you like the X5 better, definitely do as dennett says and make sure all your gear and kids fit. Go when the dealership isn't busy so the salesfolks don't bug you too much. Remember that it's *your* choice and happiness that matters ;-)
  • Options
    Kenyee,

Thanks for the update. I'd actually prefer the 16" wheels for the smoother ride, though the other upgrades spoken about in the ML forum seem tempting.

Chris
  • Options
    Kenyee,

I would like to hope that my ML430 problems were atypical. The issues with my X5 are nothing compared to the engineering / build quality atrocities that Mercedes visited on my ML....

You are correct in so much that the issues with my X5 are typical and it would appear that the fixes are simple and well documented. As it turns out the rattle was the rear passengers cigarette lighter that was rattling around the storage bin, I hadd twisted the drivers belt ( hence, no retraction)..All in all, the X5 is superior to the ML from my POV from build quality, looks, dealership support and to the most important factor; drivability....its great!
  • Options
    kenyeekenyee Member Posts: 738
    carbon_00:
    A big factor in satisfaction is the dealership. There have been continuous complaints on the m-class list about a few dealerships which happen to have no competition in their area. If your dealership happens to be one of these bad ones, you'll never get the problems fixed because the mechanics aren't good and the service advisors don't follow up. This is probably the same w/ other makes. It's just too bad car makers still occasionally make lemons (yes BMW and even Honda still do if the stories on the net are right)...
  • Options
    timsls2timsls2 Member Posts: 1
    Hi everyone:
    Can anyone who has the X5 with the 3.0 I6 tell me how it preformes I mean I think the 4.4 V8 will be too much power for me and use up more gass: I am just worried that the 3.0 will not be eunf power. So If anyone can fill me in on how the 3.0 preforms in like passing on the road, or even the murging power I would be very grateful.

Timothy
  • Options
    gpvsgpvs Member Posts: 214
    Enough power to some might not be enough for you. So, it's better if you test drive both vehicles and see for yourself.
  • Options
    bmw_julybmw_july Member Posts: 2
    I will get my black X5 4.4 in July -01 and I need to decide on the extras now. My question to anybody who has an opinion in the matter is if I should go for w or w/out the sportpackage. I loved the handling with sportpackage but living in Sweden we have a few months of winter - kind of like the northern parts of the US. I've driven both versions but the one with sportpackage only on snow/icefree roads and I've heard that it is quite bouncy and even uncomfortable on anything but the smoothest surface.

My next question is, if I go without sportpackage will onroad-handling be improved if I replace the original terrain m+s tires with "ordinary" summer onroad tires ? I'm not planning on doing any serious off-roading (as if I could in an X5..)so I don't need tires for that either.

I am grateful for any opinion in the matter.

Jan
  • Options
    matt00matt00 Member Posts: 32
    Hi,
    I am interested in leasing a BMW X5 3.0 and would like to know if there is any special lease deals currently being offered? I would like to put down as little as possible. I am looking for a 36 months 12k mile lease. What have other X5 3.0 owners paying?
    Any info would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Matt
  • Options
    lokchalokcha Member Posts: 5
    Hey Everyone:
    I'm driving an X5, and ever since the car arrived, I've been having small probs I've never experienced these with other cars. Firstly, the car has rear compartment air-conditioning, and whenever I turn the blower more than 1/4 up the thumb wheel, the air comes out with a terribly loud hissing - much worse than the way the front blower sounds.
    Secondly, whenever I want to fold in the rear view mirrors, and right one folds in, then bumps out, and the left one curves in, then bumps out as well. I'm certain this isn't supposed to happen. Is anyone else expierienceing these problems?
  • Options
    Yeah, I'm using an X5 with the sport package. Although I've never driven one w/o sport pack, I must say my car drives very well at high speeds on curvy mountainous rds. (for an SUV). On top of that, the sport pack makes the car look very nice. On the other hand, many passengers, (esp. rear passengers) complain about the harsh ride. I must say, personally, the car isn't as comfortable as say a Range Rover, but drives much better. My advice: if you don't drive the car often on curvy roads or you tend to drive in a relaxed manner, don't order the sport pack, just the 19ich alloys.
  • Options
    kflanarykflanary Member Posts: 15
    He Lokcha,

Do you drive a 3.0 or 4.4? I've heard the sport package is harsh on the 4.4, but that the 3.0 is a lot soother. Do you have any input? I recently changed my order from a 3.0 on-sport to the sport. I hope I did not make a mistake.

Others input is invited.

Thanks
  • Options
    Hey,

I am driving the X5 4.4, but I've never driven another X5 other than my own - so really I can't say much about the difference in sport package for the two engines. Sorry! Actually what do you mean when you say you've changed your order from a 3.0 on-sport to sport? What is the difference between on-sport and sport?
  • Options
    kflanarykflanary Member Posts: 15
    Hey there,

Thanks for the info. the on-sport is a typo!! Meant to say non-sport. I hoped no one would catch me on it!! Sorry.
  • Options
    jaggyjaggy Member Posts: 1
    Hello all.

(I posted this early yesterday and it didn't come up for some reason, so I am reposting. There were more posts on this topic since I wrote it, but I'm still not sure what to do, so here goes):

Like Jan above, I have a related Sport Package dilemma, albeit with an order for a 3.0 that I just put a deposit down for. Here's the deal: hands down, I think the bigger 18" wheels look much better on a car with such a large profile. In terms of my driving needs, I live in Los Angeles and don't ski, so snow isn't an issue. Most of my driving will be freeways and city streets, not winding mountain roads. As far as any handling issues, a friend who is a sports car enthusiast told me that any benefits from the tuned suspension/air springs/auto leveling of the Sport Package would probably not be felt that much in normal driving circumstances; that it would only be a difference at the point when the car is really being driven on edge and about to lose traction. Keep in mind that I am not coming to the X5 from a Porsche or even another Bimmer, but rather from (don't snicker) an '89 Suzuki Sidekick. (It's for sale, but don't all clog my email box with offers, and no, I didn't just win the lottery).

I've test driven both, and didn't really feel comfortable pushing the handling aspects of the cars to any extremes with a sales person in the car, so I couldn't tell any handling differences. But I definitely could feel the ride difference; you feel every bump with the Sport Package. It's not terrible, but I just don't want to be sorry down the road (so to speak). So my tradeoff would be aesthetics (+$2,500) vs. smoother ride.

Three questions:

1. What are other's opinions on this tradeoff?
    2. Would it be stupid to spend about the same amount to just get bigger wheels without the Sport Package (assuming that most of the ride differences come from the suspension and not the wheel size, although tell me if I'm wrong)?
    3. Did anyone out there move up to the X5 from a more pathetic vehicle than a Suzuki Sidekick (and is willing to admit it?)

Thanks!
    jaggy
  • Options
    thor8thor8 Member Posts: 303
    I do not own an X5 but an ML 430, but I understand your dilemma, your friend is rigth, you will not get the full benefit of the sports suspension because as you indicated you will not push your vehicle to the limits, on the other hand you will feel every crack and hole on the road, I think you already know the answer or you have missgivings, go for the softer ride. I would, even if it means slowing down more on the curves. The ride does not comes from the tires but the suspension, later on you can buy bigger tires if looks is a concern, I was faced with the same problem with my Porsche, 17 or 18 tires, I wanted the 17 because the softer ride but the only thing available was the 18. And lastly, dont be shy about the salesman, you are the one paying and having to live with the car, tell him what you are thinking and you want to try it out seriously, take it for a long ride and find you all kinds of situations where you can get a good feel, don't make the mistake of pay first to try later, find out exactly which one of the two you like.

Good luck
  • Options
    http://www.bimmer.org/x5/messages/messages/34714.html- You have to question how in the world running over a cone could cause nearly $800 in damage, obviously poorly designed shifter linkage.

http://www.bimmer.org/x5/messages/messages/34139.html- 2 day old X5 catches fire while parked in garage!! What the heck is that all about???

• Options
    bmw_julybmw_july Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the advice Lokcha. I have probably already made up my mind for the non-sport, but a few more pointers in the right direction makes my decision so much easier. My problem is that the first X5 that I took for a spin was a 4,4 with the sport-package. The feeling of driving that vehicle was awesome and not the bouncy feeling that I had experienced with an ML320 that I'd tried before. - Today I've got an Audi Quattro V8 and I haven't owned an SUV or truck before so this was new territory for me. - The X5 felt just like a regular car but with the SUVs positive sides. The non-sport X5 feels great too though so I am sure that I won't be dissapointed, but still...

If I - like Jaggy - had lived in LA and my driving therefore mostly would have been on good roads and no snow/ice I would have gone for the X5 with the sport-package. Even more so if the 3.0s suspension is softer than the 4.4s. But that's just me. I guess Thor8s input of trying them both out seriously is the best advice. Unfortunately for me there are not very many X5s around in Sweden yet so the chances of trying them out are not that many. It's hard to find an X5 at the store and impossible to buy it at sight since there's a waiting list of 1 year plus. - This has lead to the strange effect that prices on used X5s are actually equal to or even higher than on brand new ones...- Lucky for me my salesman could arrange with an X5 to be delivered in July -01 instead of December -01. I was offered the spot, jumped at it and thereby cut 6 months from my waiting-time.

If anyone has an opinion regarding my earlier question about handling with ordinary on-road tires vs. terrain m+s tires I would be grateful for your opinion.

Jan
  • Options
    drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    Perhaps you could ask your tire question in the Tires, Tires, Tires discussion topic in the Aftermarket & Accessories message board. Someone may be able to assist you in there.

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
  • Options
    Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    ...but I'm dropping by to see if any BMW owners would be interested in having an Owners Club on the Owner's Club Board. As of now, the BMW folder is empty. :-(

Let me know if you are interested!

KarenS
    Host
    Owner's Clubs