Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Road Trip!

Comments

• Options
    grahampetersgrahampeters Member Posts: 1,786
    edited March 2015
    G'day

We have just had a long weekend to celebrate Labour Day and Judy flew up to Albury, on the border between New South Wales and Victoria, to meet me on Friday night. The grand plan was to head south, across the Great Alpine Way to Bairnsdale in Gippsland for Saturday night and then a leisurely drive home through my childhood home.

It isn't obvious to non-Australians but the Australian Alps, a segment of the Great Dividing Range which fringes the Eastern Seaboard, (as the Rockies fringe the US West Coast) create a marked barrier between the inland and the coast. Once one leaves urban Melbourne, there are only two sealed roads across the Australian Alps until you pass Canberra, about 600km away. We had chosen the most recently completed route, climbing steeply southward from Harrietville to Mount Hotham, a popular ski-field and then more easily south to Omeo. We found ourselves competing with the annual meet of the AC Cobra/Shelby meet which takes in this winding route each year.

Signage cheerfully reminds road users to "Keep Right of the Snow Poles" and examination of the option to the left of the poles gives some hint of imminent death. One of those roads where 30km/h seems a really good limit!

Australia is supposedly the oldest continent and our mountains much eroded, Nonetheless they are challenging, even in glorious weather

Recognising the attractions of the skiing on snow for all locals, some road signs have been modified (quite professionally).

We made it to Omeo for afternoon tea and then expected a relaxed run down to the Gippsland Lakes for dinner and an overnight stay. However an accident, involving motorcyclists who hit a Police Car on a difficult stretch of road, cut off the only sealed route south. The optional route was over harsh four wheel drive tracks, unsuitable for our fussy Brunhilde (Mercedes B250) left little choice

We found the only available accommodation in Omeo and made the most of the evening. The gorgeous river near our cabin was ideal platypus habitat and my wife had never seen one in the wild. You need to be very careful as they fill an ecological niche like an otter, but the males (and young females) carry venomous spurs on their hind legs, which they are happy to share with the unwary. We spent a romantic hour, hunting by torchlight along the riverbank. While we did not find one (they are very shy) this is the sort of country to search for them. Even if you do not find a platypus, I can recommend the pleasures of being with your partner by a mountain stream under the full moon (sans children)!

Saturday night in the Golden Age Hotel (it is an old gold town) was educational; good food and better beer!

We got away early and enjoyed the crisp morning

Probably not the trip we expected, but good fun

Cheers

Graham
  • Options
    gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    XWESX, thank you for sharing Seward and the RV Sikuliaq. Seward is just as I remember it. Glad you got one of the good days.

Graham, Your Australia trip was a real treat. Hope you post again. Now I know where all the AC Cobras ended up. My favorite sports car of all time. You're not pulling our leg on the Platypus hunt are you? I thought they were a mythological creature only found in Dr Doolittle books. :p
    Would love to visit your very unique country.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited March 2015
    I thought the Sikuliaq was only in the "home" port for a few days. My Seward friend winters in Texas so even he's out of the loop. He finds it odd that the ship has no heli pad.

Graham's evening does sound a bit like a snipe hunt. ;)

Got some Mainer friends arriving this afternoon to thaw for a week. They are renting a car in El Paso and driving up - I don't think they'll have any trouble finding us even though we live a little ways down an unsealed road.
  • Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,336
    @xwesx‌ - On my one and only business trip to Anchorage, the wife and I took a day trip to Seward and wandered around the aquarium. We went in May and had wonderful weather the entire week.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    grahampetersgrahampeters Member Posts: 1,786
    edited March 2015
    G'day

I know the platypus is a strange beast, but it is surprisingly common, although very hard to find in the wild as they are quite shy. The trick is to search for the right habitat, which involves nearby moving water with quiet patches, The river banks need to overhang and ideally have some tree or root cover so they can dig out burrows.

They really are delightful animals, filling an ecological niche rather like the Otter in the Northern Hemisphere. However, no matter how you describe them they seem implausible. They have a wide bill rather like a duck (albeit leathery textured), which has both movement detectors and electroreceptors (rather like sharks) for detecting food, as the bill is moved across the river bottom. The males have a poison spur on each hind leg, which carries enough poison to kill a dog and cause intensely painful wounds to humans. Whilst they are mammals, they lay eggs like a reptile or bird. They only weigh about 1kg and their fur is incredibly sleek.

I had reason (whilst working) to meet the folk at Healesville Sanctuary, which has the only captive breeding programme in the world. They explained that they could regulate the breeding by adjusting flow rates of water through the artificial habitat. They did explain how this worked but I got lost about three sentences in. They were very enthusiastic and I had to meet every platypus in the establishment, checking first for gender; I am wary of the males whose poison capacity is well known. Have a look at the Healesville web site. http://www.zoo.org.au/healesville/animals/platypus.

One of the special delights of bushwalking is finding a platypus stream and watching around dusk or dawn or on a moonlit night. They dive for about 30 seconds and then spend about 10-20 seconds on the surface. I never tire of the entertainment.

The Omeo locals were very laid back about their platypus population, advising that the only people who every counted them are an American couple who visit regularly to do population surveys.

On the question of mythical beasts, Australia has a few. I am especially fond of the Drop-Bear (Thylarctos plummetus) which has terrorised many boy scout camps over the years. I will leave you to do your own research but here is a starter http://australianmuseum.net.au/drop-bear .

Cheers

Graham
  • Options
    xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,798
    Quite entertaining, Graham! That's some beautiful country you traversed.

No hitches in our return trip to Fairbanks: The weather was perfect and traffic was light. I'll have to share a couple Denali photos when I get home tonight and can access them.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,323
    Great pictures, guys. Its great to know there's something out there besides the next snowbank.
    Taking a little road trip over Sunday/Monday. Bringing my mother back from her visit to my sisters.
    About 375 miles each way. Weather on Sunday doesn't look great, but Monday looks sunny and warmer.
    Haven't decided if I'm going to take the Escape or Fusion.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Let's see.... going to pick up your mother and bring her home. That sounds much more like a Fusion type of trip than an Escape. :)
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    @xwesx,
    Was thinking about the trip as being an 'Escape', but it does seem like more of a 'Fusion', so Fusion it is! :)
  • Options
    berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    Really enjoy all the pictures of cars and scenery, and the stories that go with them. Thanks for posting them..
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    We took a small video clip of the drive between Fairbanks and Palmer on Saturday. Unfortunately, the video's detail doesn't show a lot of the snowfall or road details, but so it goes! This is NOT a Fintail Quality Production (check out the Inconsiderate Drivers thread if you're unfamiliar). LOL

In this area, we were traveling at about 60-65 mph, with about 4" of fresh snow on the road since the last plow went through, and WE were between the Denali National Park Road entrance and Carlo Creek to the south.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hB8OEvUfUGc
  • Options
    And, final post with some more photos of the mountains on the way home. This drive was in complete juxtaposition of the drive down two days earlier: Perfectly clear skies and cold! The road was very quiet, though, so it made for a relaxing drive.

The first three photos feature Denali (Mt. McKinley) from southern to northern vantage points. The last is of mountainsides on the western side of Broad Pass. In terms of time of day, the first was at 0845 (ADT) and the last at 1003 (ADT), so sunrise in full effect! :)

• Options
    jpp75jpp75 Member Posts: 1,535
    Great pictures @xwesx I gotta get up to AK and visit soon. I love the mountains.
  • Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,175
    Nice snow, none of that here this winter. Pretty
  • Options
    fezofezo Member Posts: 10,384
    Great shots! Good work, guys.

The only platypus I have ever seen was in the Taronga zoo in Sydney. At the time one of only two zoos in the world with a platypus. Like Grahame says, they swim around, hang on the top of the water, rinse and repeat. What surprised me was that when he was swimming he looked positively graceful. This I did not expect from a platypus.

One of the locals was telling a story of going fishing one time and hooking a platypus and having to figure out how to release him without getting those hind claws near him.
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
  • Options
    My biggest road trip right now is driving into New York in the Prius...
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Really good to see people getting back on the road again. Made it to Tucson a couple of days ago and took our company to the little border town of Palomas MX today. Went through Deming both times, where they recently filmed parts of Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice.

Ah, swimming pools, movie stars....

• Options
    I'm starting to get the feeling that things are a bit warmer down in your part of the world, Steve. :D
  • Options
    Stever - got a kick out of your Beverly Hillbillies reference :p
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Decided to explore the "other" road in/out of our subdivision coming home today. Closest thing to a road trip we're getting lately.

Anyone getting out? You're not still traveling are you @gagrice?
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    I'll be heading back down to Palmer in a few weeks, but that's just the next town over. :p

My grandmother is making her way back down to Oregon after that, which much better approximates a road trip (but I don't get to go on that one)!
  • Options

Have not left yet. The plan is April. Heard from a friend the Rhododendrons are in bloom on the coastal highways. Will hit the coast at Eureka, CA and head inland at Reedsport along the Umpqua river. Also plan to check out a couple places close to Salem this trip. Got to find a place with water before CA runs out.
  • Options
    Wave to my mother when you pass through Reedsport (the road inland from there - 38, I think? - is a gorgeous drive!), and then to the other one as you approach Salem! ;)
  • Options
    I'm curious how Explorer's trip to get his mother went!
  • Options
    slorenzenslorenzen Member Posts: 694
    gagrice said:

Have not left yet. The plan is April. Heard from a friend the Rhododendrons are in bloom on the coastal highways. Will hit the coast at Eureka, CA and head inland at Reedsport along the Umpqua river. Also plan to check out a couple places close to Salem this trip. Got to find a place with water before CA runs out.

If you'll be near Salem in April, check out the tulip festival in Woodburn.

http://www.woodenshoe.com/events/tulip-fest/

• Options
    edited March 2015
    gagrice said:

Have not left yet.

Oh, those fish tacos you posted were just a come on eh?

We visited a friend in Salem years ago and went to a tulip farm in full bloom, and took photos of us surrounded by "miles" of tulips. Really neat. No idea if it was the same place, don't remember having to pay to get in.

Road tripping for the rhodies would be fun too.

• Options
    Oh, those fish tacos you posted were just a come on eh?

No that is exactly what you get for $11 with a side of fries, potato salad or slaw. That is the Thursday special. Regularly $12. Still a bargain. Each filet is at least 6 oz. They are happy to split the order on two plates no extra charge. In fact they recommend it.

http://www.harborfishandchips.net/menu/specialplates.html
  • Options
    Yeah, but you're making us drool while you're sitting there inland too. B)

Took a flyer on some "fresh" rainbow trout from Albertson's yesterday and it wasn't very good. The red-dyed farm raised Idaho stuff is better.
  • Options
    The last trout I had we caught in the Swanson river. Fried over a fire in my gigantic skillet. That was some good trout. Never tried the farm trout sold in the stores. Rather eat the fresh never frozen Tilapia from Costco. It is raised in Costa Rica and flown in fresh 3 times a week. Don't eat the frozen Tilapia that comes from China, Vietnam and Indonesia. Wild caught Halibut and Ahi are my downfall.
  • Options
    Speaking of trout, this is a big one. Cheating in my book.

http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2015/mar/24/lake-cuyamaca-record-trout/
  • Options
    Speaking of fish, the pangasius is about to get hit with a "Chicken Tax". The Mississippi catfish lobby is still strong.

Had a great trip into the Swanson with said Salem friend back in the early 80s. The portages were especially difficult since he made us pack in 10 (seemingly 20) pounds of potatoes. I understood that part better after we base-camped on an island for three days and ate them with trout for breakfast and dinner. :)

The trout fishery up in Southern Idaho is interesting and the area is the largest producer of commercial trout in the world. The university here is spinning off a commercial farmed shrimp operation.
  • Options
    I had not heard of or eaten pangasius. Have to check at Costco for it. The last couple years we have limited our fish purchases to fresh never frozen tilapia from Costco. Monterey seafood watch rates the pangasius good alternative, even from Asia. Which is surprising. I have seen it by the name Swai, from China so I avoided buying it.

http://www.seafoodwatch.org/seafood-recommendations/groups/catfish
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    The catfish lobby's efforts may have gaffed a bit. I'd never heard of pangasius either until it struck the news in the last week or so. The name is an issue; they need to take a page from the canola industry and fish for something catchier - then it'd be all over the net.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Did someone mention Loooong Road trip? Of course when they get to Nome Alaska they would hit a dead end. Dog led time for a 1000 miles to civilization.

Plans for an ambitious 12,400-mile superhighway linking the Atlantic and the Pacific are reportedly being considered by Russian authorities.
    The Trans-Eurasian Belt Development would see the construction of a vast motorway across Russia. It would connect with existing networks in Europe, making road trips to eastern Russia a far easier proposition. While roads do currently run across most of Russia, the quality tends to deteriorate the further you travel from Moscow.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/travelnews/11493681/Plans-for-superhighway-linking-Britain-and-America.html
  • Options
    Always a fun idea, though where Russia would conjure the capital to tackle such a monumental undertaking, I cannot fathom! And, of course, there's the issue of there being no road to greet it on the Alaska side. And, even if there was, the roadway for the next 2,000 miles from there is a two-laner to the nearest multi-lane highway (in the Edmonton area), so the amount of infrastructure development between one end and the other is a feat beyond measure.
  • Options
    Think how many Hampton Inns you would need over 12,400 miles. Who would travel across Siberia in the winter except oil people??
  • Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,336
    gagrice said:
    Think how many Hampton Inns you would need over 12,400 miles. Who would travel across Siberia in the winter except oil people??
    Ice Road Truckers - Siberia

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    I can't imagine such a thing unless we were committing to pick it up on our end and bring it down to the lower 38 and I certainly son't see that happening.
  • Options
    There's also talk of building a "real" harbor in Nome. No atomic bombs have been proposed to make the basin this time (afaik!).
  • Options
    @xwesx,
    Took the Fusion to my sisters on Sunday to pick up mom. Car ran great, better than the driver. I had a hard time keeping my speed reasonable. Stopped a couple of times, but not for fuel, 375 miles in 6 1/4 hours. Cool, so ran the heat for the whole trip, 27 mpg.
    Before leaving on Monday, BIL hit my car leaving for work, but just a fender scrape(estimate about 1k).
    Put the cruise on 72 for the trip home as much as possible. It never downshifted once no matter what the incline.
    I did kick in the turbo a few times to pass slow movers.
    Stopped for fuel and a sit down for something to eat. 375 miles in 6 hours. Mileage around 31 mpg.
    My mom did comment that is was a much better vehicle to travel in than my sisters car, a Prius V.
  • Options
    Nice! Always frustrating to have those sorts of fender benders, but sounds like it was an otherwise uneventful and relaxing trip! You made really good time, too.

I would like to blame my youngsters on slowing us down when we travel, but the truth is that I tend to need to make "pitstops" more than anyone else in the family. LOL
  • Options
  • Options
    Ah, yeah.... that would be such a blast! It's probably a good time of year to sneak through one of the many national parks that dot that area as well!
  • Options
    So Stever, how much was admission, or is there a hamburger stand on the back side - just kidding ;)
  • Options
    Wouldn't it be nice to get paid to do a trip like that? I'm jonsing for some "real" San Fran sourdough bread now.
  • Options
    stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    gagrice said:

Did someone mention Loooong Road trip? Of course when they get to Nome Alaska they would hit a dead end. Dog led time for a 1000 miles to civilization.

Plans for an ambitious 12,400-mile superhighway linking the Atlantic and the Pacific are reportedly being considered by Russian authorities.
    The Trans-Eurasian Belt Development would see the construction of a vast motorway across Russia. It would connect with existing networks in Europe, making road trips to eastern Russia a far easier proposition. While roads do currently run across most of Russia, the quality tends to deteriorate the further you travel from Moscow.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/travelnews/11493681/Plans-for-superhighway-linking-Britain-and-America.html

The article I read indicated that the roads would have to be built to Fairbanks. From there I think they connect to existing roads. The concept was advertised poorly; it is a theoretical link between existing roads, not a new road all the way through. Only a few roads (but very difficult ones) need be built).
  • Options
    Just a day trip planned for today, but at we're bombing up the road for a change. Need to take a pic of the "road" chair before it completely falls apart. :)
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Stuck in 3 mile long traffic jam. May as well be on the freeway in LA. :)
  • Options
    Turn out the lights. Are you glowing in the dark. Anywhere you go during Spring break seems to be crazy. An atom bomb test site seems like a strange place for a vacation.