Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Road Trip!

Comments

• Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited April 2015
    Our houseguest was at the Hiroshoma Peace Memorial Museum a year or so ago. Kinda full circle for her. For some reason, Trinity doesn't have the same gravitas as, say Dachau, or most any war monument.
  • Options
    imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,154
    stever said:

I like that, my chair!

I've wanted to stop at Oak Ridge and never made the effort due to time and just wanting to get on home.
    I read several books about Oak Ridge and would find it interesting to see what's left of the original
    secret city that played a great part in the atomic bomb production that ended the war.

We made a short road trip to Pigeon Forge TN two weeks ago. Too early for the flowers this year, but
    we hadn't been there for 6-8 years. We're planning to go back as soon as we get through these plumbing leaks and moving the son into his first non-college apartment. It's time to take a few hours and stop at Oak Ridge on the way back.

http://www.ornl.gov/ornl/visiting-ornl

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• Options
    edited April 2015
    The poor old chair is delimanating fast. And it'll probably be a few years before they reorder that swag. :(

Never made it to Oak Ridge in my ~7 years in TN. Los Alamos is similar, definitely a company town with who knows what kind of stuff "buried" there. There's some real pretty country up that way, lots of mountains and even (!) trees.

Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg don't do much for me. Even in my Chattanooga years, I'd try to cut over to the Foothills Parkway just to avoid that mess. In another 20 years, the park entrance to Denali may be just as touristy I'm afraid. But I don't care for Vegas either, and we aren't shoppers. Different strokes.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Thirty some years ago Gatinburg had lots of actual craftsmen making and selling things. Then it turned to air-brushed T-shirts and Chinese imports. The craftsmen moved to a "trail" along 11 miles of country road a couple miles east of downtown. They mostly own their separate homes and sell from their buildings there. And there are several groups called malls. Other than that we go through Gatlinburg to see the hoards and drive the Roaring Fork Motor Trail. Very scenic certain times with a hiking trailhead to a falls located along the access loop.

Otherwise we stay in Pigeon Forge. Shopping outlet. href="http://www.thepigeonforgepottery.com/">A Pigeon Forge Pottery has been there a long time throwing clay./ Wife has lots of stuff from them.

• Options
    Reminds of a great guy here - he keeps building courtyard houses and uses half for a gallery (his wife paints). After a while, they sell and use the money for the next one, and to support the arts. They are on their third or fourth place, and it's going on the market soon.
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,266
    We started going to Gatlinburg in the early '60s... 1962 is as far back as I can remember.. Went back with my son in 2003, and that was enough for me..

Great hiking in that area, though.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    Spent about 4 months in trade school in Johnson City TN in 1971. Made many trips to Gatlinburg and Asheville. Love those mountains and small towns. I put 13,000 miles on a new Budget Chevy Vega, hitting all the antique shops in the area. Shipped a lot of antique furniture back to AK. I remember Pigeon Forge Pottery. Not much else there in 1971. Went back in 1981 and they were going crazy building hotels for the World's Fair coming to Knoxville.
  • Options
    This is a page with lists of the various craftsmen who are along the 11-mile loop through the "hills." It's scenic
    if you don't care about the crafts.

http://www.gatlinburgcrafts.com/

• Options
    Did another airport run today. Cut over the Trans Mountain shortcut in El Paso, but the Border Patrol museum was closed.
  • Options
    Just finishing another enjoyable trip to Oregon. The more time I spend in Cottage Grove the better I like that little town. We stay at the Village Resort that is surrounded by beautiful gardens. It is owned by Moonstone Properties and they are upgrading it. The Rhodedendrons and trees were just getting a good bloom going.

Returning down the Oregon coast yesterday was perfect weather.

• Options
    slorenzenslorenzen Member Posts: 694
    And of course, after you left, the weather is beautiful again!

Glad you made it home safely.

What was your MPG going home?

• Options
    xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,798
    Wow; those photos were nothing short of incredible! I'm glad you had such a nice trip!
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    Not quite home. 381 miles to go tomorrow. Taking 3 days getting home. Not so tiresome. Hoping to get through Los Angeles without too many slow downs. Worst part of travel in CA. Probably average about 29 MPG for the whole trip.
  • Options
    Our kind of guy:

Golf GTI coffee run

• Options
    jpp75jpp75 Member Posts: 1,535
    gagrice said:

Just finishing another enjoyable trip to Oregon. The more time I spend in Cottage Grove the better I like that little town. We stay at the Village Resort that is surrounded by beautiful gardens. It is owned by Moonstone Properties and they are upgrading it. The Rhodedendrons and trees were just getting a good bloom going.

Returning down the Oregon coast yesterday was perfect weather.

I love the Oregon coast, my favorite place in the country by far. Great pictures, thanks for sharing!
  • Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,337
    Road trip planned for us to Sedona, AZ in early June.

790 miles via I-25 and I-40, or 716 miles via US 160 and US 89. Am hoping to convince the wife to take the back roads this time, if only for some different scenery.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    jpp75jpp75 Member Posts: 1,535
    Michaell said:

Road trip planned for us to Sedona, AZ in early June.

790 miles via I-25 and I-40, or 716 miles via US 160 and US 89. Am hoping to convince the wife to take the back roads this time, if only for some different scenery.

I always prefer the back roads, even if it takes a little longer.
  • Options
    xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,798
    jpp5862 said:

I always prefer the back roads, even if it takes a little longer.

Agreed, though I don't always do it (depending on how far I have to go and the time available in which to do it!). I will say that I definitely appreciated taking back roads as we neared Seattle back in 2013. The freeway was a barely rolling parking lot (and we were still two hours south... if traffic was moving at the SL), my patience was wearing thin, and the day was wearing long. But, we quickly found out that there aren't many roads that take a N/S direction in that area. Most go E/W only, so it made for an interesting and very round-about day of driving.

It was beautiful scenery and far more relaxing, though, so was worth it in the end.

2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    It's funny to hit some Arizona freeways and see signs about watching for bicylists. That's when you know there really aren't any back roads. Paved ones anyway.
  • Options
    We've done the drive to Sedona twice before; each time we break the trip up into two parts and stay overnight in either Santa Fe or Albuquerque. If we go the back roads, I think Durango would be the overnight stop.

Google maps tells me that although the back roads are 70+ miles shorter, the elapsed time is over an hour longer. But, most of the US highways here in the West have a 65MPH speed limit.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

• Options
    Made it home at noon. Drove right down I5 through Los Angeles. A few slow downs. 371 miles in 5 hours 43 minutes including a stop for diesel and potty break. Last 331 miles without a stop. Averaged about 68 MPH. Have to go fill up to get final tally on Mileage.
  • Options
    Made it home at noon. Drove right down I5 through Los Angeles. A few slow downs. 371 miles in 5 hours 43 minutes including a stop for diesel and potty break. Last 331 miles without a stop. Averaged about 68 MPH. Have to go fill up to get final tally on Mileage.
  • Options
    Hm, same post yet they are three hours apart.

Road fatique? B)
  • Options
    Have not figured out how to cancel.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Why we drive and no longer fly. No surprises here. A worthless agency among many.

The recent story of two Transportation Security Administration screeners at Denver International Airport manipulating full-body scanners in order to grope men’s crotches is disturbing, but it came as no surprise to me.

What most people don’t realize is that the full-body scanners the two agents used to assault those passengers — the scanners that millions of people pass through each day — are practically useless. The TSA, in its rush to replace the controversial “nude” radiation scanners that they phased out in 2013, swapped out one poorly functioning line of machines for another. The current millimeter wave scanners, with their outrageous false-positive rates, regularly cause unnecessary pat-downs: The agent running his or her hands over you after you pass through the scanner is almost never doing it for a good reason.

http://time.com/3822487/tsa-sexual-assault-denver/
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Just had "fish" visitors from the UP. Fish, because they only stayed three days (and thus didn't smell and overstay their welcome), but most enjoyable company although we overate and imbibed too much. Invited us to drive back up to the UP with them but we begged off. Went for a walk just now to get some exercise and saw our first rattler of the season, a small young buck.
  • Options
    stever said:

Just had "fish" visitors from the UP. Fish, because they only stayed three days (and thus didn't smell and overstay their welcome), but most enjoyable company although we overate and imbibed too much. Invited us to drive back up to the UP with them but we begged off. Went for a walk just now to get some exercise and saw our first rattler of the season, a small young buck.

Be careful the young ones are the most dangerous. This small one got hung up in the chicken wire. Made it easy to kill him.

• Options
    AND, they taste like chicken...

:p
  • Options
    fezofezo Member Posts: 10,384
    Or is it chicken that tastes like rattlesnake? I always get that confused...

gagrice, is that you? You look nicer in person...... ;)
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
  • Options
    That was about 8 years ago. I am older now you know.
    Then, Now...
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    You're aging well. Good thing you changed shirts though. B)

I get to do a road trip this afternoon. Meeting our Taos friends at Columbus to camp and do the border town bit tomorrow (one friend is hitting the dentist there). Haven't slept on the ground for months now....
  • Options
    stever said:

You're aging well. Good thing you changed shirts though. B)

I get to do a road trip this afternoon. Meeting our Taos friends at Columbus to camp and do the border town bit tomorrow (one friend is hitting the dentist there). Haven't slept on the ground for months now....

Dental work in Mexico?
  • Options
    She's going to have a cleaning done first and if that goes well.... The DDS she's going to gets good reviews from gringos. Lots of people hit Juarez for affordable medical care.
  • Options
    Looking good, Gary. Closet full of Hawaiian shirts? I'd do that if our climate justified it.
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
  • Options
    Those pictures are 8 years apart? You aren't aging!

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    No, but check he portrait in his house,
  • Options
    78 Hawaiian shirts last count. Most are made in Hawaii. Those are the only ones I buy usually in thrift shops. Most are Kahala and Tori Richards my favorites.

• Options
    Got a pair of shorts in Deming at the thrift a few minutes ago - forgot to grab one of my two pair. I'm up to about ten shirts since the move now. :D

Beautiful 69° day cruising past the pistachio orchards.
  • Options
    fezo said:

Yeah... that's what I was thinking... B)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,323
    Another road trip on the horizon, this time for Mothers Day.
    Last one was trip to PA to pick up my mom and the choice was Escape or Fusion.
    Seeing that my mom and I would be riding back together, it was determined to be a 'Fusion' trip rather than 'Escape' trip.
    Unfortunately, the Fusion part was a BMW creasing my left front fender. ;)
    My car was parked at the time.
    Next trip is to the Cleveland area dropping my mom off in PA and the choices are the same.
    The Fusion has Nav and the Escape doesn't, but my wife is pretty good with Google maps.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    fezo said:

That was not the most recent. That was out to dinner in Coronado 7/2013. This was taken last Christmas.

• Options
    edited April 2015
    Road trips are always educational - here's the US Army's very first field grease rack.

We'll have to plan a return trip next year for the 100th Anniversary. B)
  • Options
    Gary, on the odd chance that I outlive you why don't you leave me some of them in your will? I'll just forget that based on your pictures that anything that fits wouldn't fit me....

Great collection.
  • Options
    Thank you, I am sure I have some that would fit you. I have them from M-XL. I would have to get down about 40 lbs in the 175 range to wear the M shirts. Even within the same brand they are not the same size. I only buy Mediums if it is a great pattern. Who knows if I was in a rest home withering away to nothing, they may fit. I started wearing them in the early 1980s and have gotten used to the comfort.
  • Options
    Oh, you could send a few of the mediums over. Those would fit, almost no matter their definition of medium.

When I go out playing with my alleged band I always wear a Hawaiian shirt.
  • Options
    eliaselias Member Posts: 2,209
    gagrice, you and Mrs G look marvelous! thanks for the photos. for photos of what I look like, google Dave Attell.

i'm looking planning multiple roadtrips for this summer, including: Orlando. DC. Chicago.
    Still haven't found the right time/situation to make the cross-country roadtrip to California again, but I'm trying to plan that too.
  • Options
    elias said:

gagrice, you and Mrs G look marvelous! thanks for the photos. for photos of what I look like, google Dave Attell.

i'm looking planning multiple roadtrips for this summer, including: Orlando. DC. Chicago.
    Still haven't found the right time/situation to make the cross-country roadtrip to California again, but I'm trying to plan that too.

for photos of what I look like, google Dave Attell.

Before or after he has been "Up all night"?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    edited May 2015
    Ah, what do you look like - while our friends got their teeth cleaned in Palomas the other day, I walked to a nearby barber. I should have stuck to "un poquito" but the guy grew up in New Mexico and spoke English so I told him "top of the ears" and asked him to even up my beard.

Coming back, the customs guy looked at the passport photo and asked me where my passport was. B)
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    stever said:

Ah, what do you look like - while our friends got their teeth cleaned in Palomas the other day, I walked to a nearby barber. I should have stuck to "un poquito" but the guy grew up in New Mexico and spoke English so I told him "top of the ears" and asked him to even up my beard.

Coming back, the customs guy looked at the passport photo and asked me where my passport was. B)

OK, that's funny.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• Options
    It's 86° today and much cooler "upstairs" at least.