2024 Jeep Grand Cherokee lease from Mark Dodge Click here

2025 Ram 1500 Factory Order Discounts from Mark Dodge Click here
Options

Road Trip!

1686970717274»

Comments

• Options
    Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,999
    We use a Voyager for most crews at work. It's basically a Pacifica with not too many upgrades. But, they drive nicely in almost any situation. Since the crew I'm in has 6 drivers plus the lead, we get to use a large Ford Transit van with the higher roof line. The only downside is there's no running board to make egress/ingress easier & it's quite easy to fall backwards. They do provide a very sturdy handle on the right side of the side cargo door to grab onto. I do have issues sometimes climbing in so a running board on the side would really help. Plus ours doesn't have tinted widows all around. Another faux pas!

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,579
    Drove back from Wisconsin yesterday. Left with having driven over 50 miles since previous fill up.
    Wife was driving and we had 56 miles on the DTE with a rest stop coming up and next one 58 miles away.
    Trip odometer was just over 390 miles, so I said let's see if we can make the next rest area, I wanted to get over 400 miles before we filled up.
    DTE hit zero just as we were taking the ramp to stop and fill up. Ended up going 452 miles, so now I have a good idea of the range.
    Whole trip was just under 500 miles in just over 7 1/2 hours with 3 stops, none very long.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,869
    Didn't require a road trip but the S4 is indeed capable of speeds in excess of 150 MPH.
    '21 BMW X3 M40i, '15 Audi S4, '16 Audi TTS, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • Options
    xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,961
    andres3 said:

Didn't require a road trip but the S4 is indeed capable of speeds in excess of 150 MPH.

Sounds sketchy. :#
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 2013 Ford F250 Lariat D, 1976 Ford F250, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100
  • Options
    edited May 21
    xwesx said:

andres3 said:

Nah, just a little pull where there was no traffic other than a sport bike that got smoked, he may not have seen me coming from behind after he had just passed me recently. By the time I passed him he had no chance to catch up. The S4 steamrolls with acceleration up there, I don't think my TTS is as fast after 115 or so.

I earned a thumbs up from the sport bike a couple miles later as I was changing freeways and had of course slowed down so he could catch up.
  • Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,432
    andres3 said:

xwesx said:

andres3 said:

Nah, just a little pull where there was no traffic other than a sport bike that got smoked, he may not have seen me coming from behind after he had just passed me recently. By the time I passed him he had no chance to catch up. The S4 steamrolls with acceleration up there, I don't think my TTS is as fast after 115 or so.

I earned a thumbs up from the sport bike a couple miles later as I was changing freeways and had of course slowed down so he could catch up.
    Are you sure he wasn't just cruising along? "200 club" and all that :)
  • Options
    edited May 22
    fintail said:

andres3 said:

xwesx said:

andres3 said:

Pretty sure it wasn't a top-line sport bike, and his cruising speed seemed to be about 100 MPH until he got passed. He was definitely "having fun" though, and it was more than just his speed.
  • Options
    andres3 said:

fintail said:

andres3 said:

xwesx said:

andres3 said:

Pretty sure it wasn't a top-line sport bike, and his cruising speed seemed to be about 100 MPH until he got passed. He was definitely "having fun" though, and it was more than just his speed.
    So like a Ninja 250 or an R3 etc? :)

Yeah, sometimes bikers just like to play around. Your description of the S4 makes me think of my old E55, which I think was at least as fast 60-120 as it was 0-60.
  • Options
    In 10 days I embark on a little road trip out to the coast - not as much as some, but it should easily pass 1000 miles by the time I return.

I had a little irritation on the road on Tuesday - 2nd time in 3 years, cracked in almost exactly the same place both times, I wonder if there's an issue in that spot or if it is just coincidence. To say I unleashed a mountain of profanity would be putting it lightly:

Filing the claim with my insurer (Farmers) and Safelite was easy, too easy. I recall last time it took a couple weeks to get the right windshield in, so after I booked online I called, and lo and behold they were about 10 days out on a replacement, even though it let me book for this Friday. However, I asked if the windshield was OEM or aftermarket, it was the latter. I asked about OEM, which is expensive, and they can get one in and do it on Friday - at least so it is claimed. At least the crack is well outside of my line of sight.

• Options
    edited July 4
    Ah, sorry about that, Fin. Windshield chips are a way of life in Alaska, but that first crack in the new windshield always elicits that rage....

I think you have dashcam still, right? You can relive the moment over and over! :D

I take the Crosstrek in for its first windshield replacement tomorrow, and the Forester goes in again (I think this may be the third new glass) on Monday.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 2013 Ford F250 Lariat D, 1976 Ford F250, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100
  • Options
    xwesx said:

Ah, sorry about that, Fin. Windshield chips are a way of life in Alaska, but that first crack in the new windshield always elicits that rage....

I think you have dashcam still, right? You can relive the moment over and over! :D

I take the Crosstrek in for its first windshield replacement tomorrow, and the Forester goes in again (I think this may be the third new glass) on Monday.

Yeah, that's one cam clip I am not saving :) Actually, I didn't notice it immediately - I think it took some time. I heard a whack, but that happens a bit, so I didn't pay attention. But later when examining the car at work, I spotted the crack, I think it took some time to spread.

This happened on WB 90 just outside of Spokane, on the big uphill run out of town. I think trucks tend to lose rocks on that, and cars kick them up - I've heard more than a few there. Maybe I need to start taking the back road.

This will be the second replacement for the car - if I lived in AK, I would be fine with aftermarket, so long as the sensors (light and rain) still worked (I think the driving assist stuff is in the grille). Only my third windshield replacement ever, though - lost one in the E55 from a road puck that flew up and hit me - so maybe it is just averaging out after 30+ years on the road.
  • Options
    It gets better - I was suspicious about the Friday replacement, as the last time I replaced the windshield, it took a couple weeks to get one. Lo and behold, no windshield today, and I won't be able to get a replacement for a couple weeks. The one they had in stock was for a differently equipped car and I am not sure even the same model. Of course I found this out after I removed the dashcam, so I got to remount it, which is a chore. Now I will be taking the trip with a nice crack, but at least it is out of my line of sight and I don't think it will change.
  • Options
    Interesting. I have not removed my dashcams for a windshield job. When I got the Crosstrek back this afternoon, they had perfectly remounted it on the new glass. Ah, it is so nice to have new glass! (Not trying to rub in your shop's failure today... it really is nice.)

I'm sure you'll have a great trip nonetheless.

I went to reinstate the insurance on the Q7 today so I can make some use of it this month, and I cannot get into my insurance app. Looks like maybe they realigned their login system, so I need different credentials? Well, nothing I try to do the reset works, so I am just SOL. Good grief! Good thing I am not on the side of the road being asked for proof of insurance!
  • Options
    I use a specific adhesive piece distributed by Blackvue (the dashcam company) - I have used generic mounts, but they often fail after some time, and it is a chore to scrape off the residue and re-aim it. I didn't know a windshield installler would do it, not sure I would want them to. I was still enjoying the one in the car, which otherwise had only a couple tiny knicks - winter here leaves a mark one way or another. Weather should be dry, and the crack is inconspicuous, so I am going to try to keep my OCD at bay.

I've had that happen, site redesign tricks the login/password manager, and I have to get in not remembering either. I think it happened with my HSA provider a couple times.
  • Options
    Back from our week in Hatteras, NC(OBX).
    It's pain to get there from here or vice versa.
    Yesterday, 750 miles in 15 hours.
    Doesn't sound too, too bad but a lot of the miles were done @77 mph.
    That means hours of doing close to zero.
    Temp was between 95 and 100 for about half the trip. Good think A/C could keep up.
    Amazingly, I only saw one vehicle pulled over with the hood up.
  • Options
    Oof. I think I see why. Looks like it would be a real pain in the rear to get there from pretty much anywhere!

I hope my trip from OH to NC goes smoother when I go down to my brother's place to get the pickup.
  • Options
    @fintail This should make you feel better: I put a new windshield in the Forester yesterday. I picked it up at 1600 hours. At about 1900 hours, I went out to install new wiper blades on it. While doing so, I dropped the passenger wiper arm from about 6" off the glass and ended up spider-webbing the brand new glass. /facepalm
  • Options
    @xwesx,
    After a year or so, the trauma of the trip wears off, so we are ready to do it again. B)
    Not sure where in NC your brother lives but try to avoid I-95 between DC and Richmond at all costs.
  • Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,334
    xwesx said:

@fintail This should make you feel better: I put a new windshield in the Forester yesterday. I picked it up at 1600 hours. At about 1900 hours, I went out to install new wiper blades on it. While doing so, I dropped the passenger wiper arm from about 6" off the glass and ended up spider-webbing the brand new glass. /facepalm

OUCH!

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    xwesx said:

Yikes! Insurance claim or just taking the L?
  • Options

@xwesx,
    After a year or so, the trauma of the trip wears off, so we are ready to do it again. B)
    Not sure where in NC your brother lives but try to avoid I-95 between DC and Richmond at all costs.

Okay, thanks! I am not sure if I've ever even been on I-95, but I hear good things about it. :D
  • Options
    fintail said:

Just taking the L. I don't do insurance on the windshield in most circumstances because I consider it a normal wear item. I think the only glass I've claimed via insurance was the exploding roof on the Q7.
  • Options
    xwesx said:

fintail said:

Just taking the L. I don't do insurance on the windshield in most circumstances because I consider it a normal wear item. I think the only glass I've claimed via insurance was the exploding roof on the Q7.
    How much is replacement for a more "normal" car like that? The OEM unit in my car was something like $1800 installed in 2021. I assume aftermarket will be half that, but I have a $100 deductible glass policy, might as well use it.

Safelite guy told me 90%+ of his claims come from I90 between the ID border and Highway 2 interchange (roughly 20 miles) I think it's just a fact of life here, maybe not as bad as AK, but trying.
  • Options
    edited July 9
    Super cheap, really. I paid $380 for each of the Subarus this last weekend (Crosstrek on Friday and Forester on Monday). I hear that the cost for "Eyesight" equipped models is substantially more expensive, if you're into that sort of thing.
  • Options
    $399 for Fuyao glass on the S4 installed in a shop.
  • Options
    My car has a couple of eyesight-looking cameras (I think these at least read speed limit signs), light detector for headlight assist, rain sensor, etc, so I expect that makes it more expensive. I know they have to do a calibration, but it is done in the shop, car doesn't need to be driven.

Amusing, and knock on wood, I am pretty sure the fintail's windshield is original to the car. It has some patina but like the gauge of the metal in the fenders, it seems a lot thicker than modern equivalents.
  • Options
    fintail said:

Amusing, and knock on wood, I am pretty sure the fintail's windshield is original to the car. It has some patina but like the gauge of the metal in the fenders, it seems a lot thicker than modern equivalents.

So true! I still have the original glass on both my Econoline and my C20 pickup (not sure about the 76 F250). Both of them have exactly one big pock on them (no runs), but those were really massive rocks. I mean, something like what hit those vehicles would have gone right through a modern windshield, or at least left it completely shattered. The one that hit my van was about the size of a closed fist and sounded like a shotgun blast when it hit. The pock is about the size of a dollar coin!
  • Options
    Windshields have partially gotten thinner to save weight (and fuel economy theoretically). I know the R8 GT's had lighter/thinner windshields as an "upgrade" to the standard R8. You would think the feature of "less glass" would actually be a cost savings right?

• Options
    andres3 said:

Windshields have partially gotten thinner to save weight (and fuel economy theoretically). I know the R8 GT's had lighter/thinner windshields as an "upgrade" to the standard R8. You would think the feature of "less glass" would actually be a cost savings right?

I wonder if it is cheaper to make, or thinner glass requires more engineering. Wouldn't surprise me if cost is more of a factor than losing 5 lbs which could be gained via other decontenting.
  • Options
    xwesx said:

fintail said:

So true! I still have the original glass on both my Econoline and my C20 pickup (not sure about the 76 F250). Both of them have exactly one big pock on them (no runs), but those were really massive rocks. I mean, something like what hit those vehicles would have gone right through a modern windshield, or at least left it completely shattered. The one that hit my van was about the size of a closed fist and sounded like a shotgun blast when it hit. The pock is about the size of a dollar coin!
    Fintail has a filled ding completely out of the line of sight - behind the rear view mirror. It's pretty hard to spot if one isn't looking for it, and it was there when I bought the car heading for 30 years ago, I suspect it will be fine.
  • Options
    Halfway through the driving part of the trip. Windshield crack grew a little, maybe expected. Forecast high here near the beach is 65F, slated to be 97F in Spokane today, fun not needing to use AC (which nobody has in houses here). Car is averaging around 30 mpg on the highway. Not too many bad drivers either - only had one dingbat freeze up in a traffic circle, and a couple of slowpokes on White Pass, which is normal.
  • Options
    edited July 20
    @fintail,
    Not road trip related but I remember you posting about wearing a goalie mask. :)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zki3yJYnX4M
  • Options

@fintail,
    Not road trip related but I remember you posting about wearing a goalie mask. :)

Ha yeah, forgot about that - back when I was a student, had an old 70s "Jason" style Cooper goalie mask (since given to a goalie friend who likes old gear), and now and then I would wear it while driving the fintail, little kids got a kick out of that.

• Options
    edited July 22
    Back from the road trip. Of course I forgot to total miles and mpg, but I suspect it is in the 1200 mile range, give or take a hundred or so, and highway mpg was close to 30. No issues to speak of, traffic wasn't bad but seemed to be more LLCs out yesterday than normal, maybe the heat has fried some brains. The car continues to be a sublime cruiser, wafting along while it eats up the miles. The windshield crack probably tripled in size on the trip, but gone now as I had it replaced this morning.

Interestingly, they gave me a solar tinted (kind of reminds me of blue tinted glass on some turn of the century MBs) acoustic windshield that works with HUD - my car has neither acoustic or HUD. It's aftermarket, but it looks fine to me - price difference from OEM to aftermarket, if they can even get the part, was close to 1K - not worth it to me driving it in this environment.

Most interesting spots, save for vintage cars, were a number of Airstreams on the road yesterday, must have been a convention. Most noteworthy to me was one towed by a G-Wagen, and another a new style Defender. I also noticed thin WSP presence yesterday - on my drive virtually from one end of the state to the other, I saw exactly one cruiser, and I am not sure if it was with someone for speed or assistance.

• Options
    Bah, those vehicles sound ill-equipped to handle an Airstream. I think they needed a Q7 (or Cayenne or Touareg) TDI to get the most bang for the buck....
  • Options
    xwesx said:

Bah, those vehicles sound ill-equipped to handle an Airstream. I think they needed a Q7 (or Cayenne or Touareg) TDI to get the most bang for the buck....

It was an older G too, the type where 15 mpg on the highway is something to be proud of - I can't imagine what it is towing an Airstream.
  • Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 245,379

Fin, do you think it’s the aerodynamics or the gearing that gets you 30mpg on the highway?

Best we’ve seen in the Outback is somewhere around 28.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    Michaell said:

Fin, do you think it’s the aerodynamics or the gearing that gets you 30mpg on the highway?

Best we’ve seen in the Outback is somewhere around 28.

Aerodynamics have to be good, but it's that 9th gear for sure. At 70 it sometimes feels like it is idling along.