Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Subaru Crew - Meet The Members II

Comments

• Options
    hondafriekhondafriek Member Posts: 2,984
    Subaru Legacy just voted Automotive Journalists Car Of The Year In Canada.

Cheers Pat.
  • Options
    rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    edited February 2015
    The only things that need attention is that both the clock and outside temp are too small and are poorly located at the bottom of the center stack. SOA is aware of it and a fix is in the works, hopefully for 2016.

As to Eyesight and navigation, they're both optional. So if you don't want it, opt for a model without those items. :)
  • Options
    fibber2fibber2 Member Posts: 3,786
    edited February 2015
    Think I got it right... New (mine) and old (now my daughter's car).

photo 20141211_080944.jpg

photo 031.jpg
  • Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,336
    Greetings! First post in this discussion, though I've been a part of the Edmunds on-line community since the late 1990's and a host for about 18 months.

After 21 years of living in Colorado - and the wife being a native - we're on our way to getting our first Subaru. Wife has been driving SUV's for over 15 years ('99 Expedition, '02 Explorer, '05 and '08 Saturn VUE and her latest, a '10 Mazda CX-7), and decided she wanted something more "wagon-y" with all the latest tech features this time around. Not many choices fill the bill, especially when she also says "no premium brands".

Test drove the Outback 3.6R today and left a deposit for a Wilderness Green with Ivory interior that is "in transit". The car should be here in a few weeks - just in time for our two snowiest months.

The only prior experience I've had with a Subaru was my late father-in-law's early 90's Legacy wagon we inherited with 140K on the clock about 7 years ago. Didn't need an extra car at the time so I drove it to California and gifted it to my son for his HS graduation. Averaged 30MPG on the drive.

Looking forward to being part of the community here and learning about the new brand - both the good and the bad (is there any?).

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    If you wind up moving south away from the snow, you'll have to sell it. It's the law....
  • Options
    ladywclassladywclass Member Posts: 1,713
    stever is wrong! lol
  • Options
    @Michaell does meet the dog requirement dashingly. :D
  • Options
    nice one, stever .. lol .. AND ... since it's been forever since I posted in this forum. We lost our beautiful Aussie last July to cancer. She was 'about' 14 or so. We were her 3rd or 4th home by the time she was about 2-3 years old and she was a 'best' dog. We still miss her terribly. Late October we ended up adopting TWO dogs on the same day from two different avenues. One through a rescue organization - a small Aussie (about 35 pounds) who had been picked up as a stray and is about 3 years old. She is still skittish at times, but thinks I'm the best thing around at this point. Beautiful little girl. The other we got through one of my coworkers. He is a border collie mix about a year old (and about 55 pounds). Took him a couple of weeks to stop barking at my husband, but now he thinks HE is the best thing around. We had a problem with him chewing up everything in the house at first, but he's settled in pretty well at this point. He loves to play with balls, and if no one will play with him, he will stand at the top of the stairs and drop the ball so he can go chase it and run back upstairs and do it all again ... so yeah .. we still have our requisite dog(s) ... I wish I could get a new Subie to go with them. Still coaxing the 2001 Outback along ...
  • Options
    fibber2 said:

Think I got it right... New (mine) and old (now my daughter's car).

photo 20141211_080944.jpg

photo 031.jpg

Nice Fib. :) Looks like a Limited. What options did you get?
  • Options
    Michaell said:

Greetings! First post in this discussion, though I've been a part of the Edmunds on-line community since the late 1990's and a host for about 18 months.

After 21 years of living in Colorado - and the wife being a native - we're on our way to getting our first Subaru. Wife has been driving SUV's for over 15 years ('99 Expedition, '02 Explorer, '05 and '08 Saturn VUE and her latest, a '10 Mazda CX-7), and decided she wanted something more "wagon-y" with all the latest tech features this time around. Not many choices fill the bill, especially when she also says "no premium brands".

Test drove the Outback 3.6R today and left a deposit for a Wilderness Green with Ivory interior that is "in transit". The car should be here in a few weeks - just in time for our two snowiest months.

The only prior experience I've had with a Subaru was my late father-in-law's early 90's Legacy wagon we inherited with 140K on the clock about 7 years ago. Didn't need an extra car at the time so I drove it to California and gifted it to my son for his HS graduation. Averaged 30MPG on the drive.

Looking forward to being part of the community here and learning about the new brand - both the good and the bad (is there any?).

Great! Keep us posted!
  • Options
    Just a guess, Bob, but are you being thrown off my my winter wheels? They look like the optional set from the '15 (Gen-5 OBW), but those are actually a Tirerack package on my Gen-4 2014 H4 Premium. If you look carefully you will see that I'm sitting on a half inch thick layer of glare ice which was typical of the roads by us that morning in December when I mounted them.

A Tirerack package on the '02 as well.

My wife is lobbying hard for me to sell the old wagon and buy our daughter something with side & side curtain airbags and stability control. I get her point that we have our children riding around in the least safe vehicle we own, but I'm just not ready to part with the old car.

Welcome to the new Moderator!
  • Options
    kurtamaxxxguykurtamaxxxguy Member Posts: 1,798
    rsholland said:

The only things that need attention is that both the clock and outside temp are too small and are poorly located at the bottom of the center stack. SOA is aware of it and a fix is in the works, hopefully for 2016....

One of Subaru's strengths is they actually listen to customers, and improve their vehicles accordingly.

• Options
    xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,798
    edited February 2015
    Sounds like fun times, Brenda!

Our pup just turned fourteen a couple of weeks ago. I'm thinking it is time for her to move on, but she's not with me on that. We still (mostly) enjoy having her around, but she sure isn't useful any more. LOL

2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    grahampetersgrahampeters Member Posts: 1,786
    xwesx said:

Sounds like fun times, Brenda!

Our pup just turned fourteen a couple of weeks ago. I'm thinking it is time for her to move on, but she's not with me on that. We still (mostly) enjoy having her around, but she sure isn't useful any more. LOL

G'day

That has a familiar ring to it. Sirius, our fourteen year old Pharaoh Hound/Kelpie cross has a supposedly terminal cancer on the spleen which was supposed to have felled her six months ago. However, no-one seems to have mentioned this to her and, between lengthy naps and admiring the world from one or other of her vantage points (upstairs on my daughter's bed with a view over the neighbourhood is ideal), she rustles up the energy for a little possum hunting (never caught one, even when one accidentally fell off the pergola into her mouth, but eternally optimistic). Sirius has also remembered her stash of pink rubber balls - oddly she has always preferred pink although dog's visual receptors should render these a greyish colour. She will even do a small amount of ball chasing but mostly just ambles around, looking very pleased with her prized toy, which she does not give up easily.

Sirius is also very enthusiastic about car rides and enjoys those days where I work at home, such as today. She gets a few rides in the car as I make calls and can even summon up the energy to leap in and out, despite the arthritis. The Kluger is preferred because of the flat floor and the Mercedes B Class a little trickier, sometimes requiring assistance. When we went car hunting recently, a key concern was finding a dog friendly vehicle - leather seats were demanded.

Cheers

Graham
  • Options

She gets a few rides in the car as I make calls and can even summon up the energy to leap in and out, despite the arthritis.

That's enthusiasm! Kobresia, who is a yellow lab / Alaska husky cross (sorta like a miniature lab in stature, but with black/yellow color in a husky configuration), decided that jumping into the car is no longer preferred. She walks up to the back of the Forester, wags her tail with vigor, and waits for "the toss," which is my version of loading her up. LOL

Her hips just aren't up to the task these days. I think many years of pulling the kids on their sled took its toll. It is almost alarming to me how much her once-robust hind quarters atrophied recently. Such is the way of it, though.

You had me laughing out loud with your description of Sirius' possum prowess. Kobresia once had the same enthusiasm with squirrels (and an equal amount of success). Surprisingly, though, she did manage to catch one of my rabbits (got loose about four months prior and went feral) two winters ago, providing the family with an enjoyably fresh dinner in January!

2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    lilbluewgn02lilbluewgn02 Member Posts: 1,089
    Hey guys, hope all is well. Some news for you: I sold Lil Blue, my 2002 WRX wagon; she was great for 12 years, but niggling problems were starting to crop up. Of course, I have no idea why I sold her BEFORE the winter...must have been brain freeze from the Pennsylvania cold.! I'm now looking for a 2008-2011 Impreza Outback Sport. Michael picked one up last September, a 2010 with 46,000 miles, great condition. He loves it, and I've driven it a bit...nice ride.
    In other news, I'm selling my 1987 Carrera coupe to concentrate on the 1972 911 T, and possible a 914 in the future. If you guys know anyone looking for a Porsche, let me know and I can send details. The same goes for an Outback Sport; I'm looking for an automatic, preferably 2010 -2011. Regards to all of you.
  • Options
    dcm61dcm61 Member Posts: 1,567

The same goes for an Outback Sport; I'm looking for an automatic, preferably 2010 -2011. Regards to all of you.

I would highly recommend getting a 2012 Impreza Sport over a 2010-2011.
    More refined, roomier, FB20 vs. "when will my head gaskets start leaking" EJ25, CVT vs. ancient 4EAT, better MPG.

Loved my 2012 Impreza Sport Limited ... until it was totalled by a suicidal deer. :(

• Options
    lilbluewgn02lilbluewgn02 Member Posts: 1,089
    Back in the Subaru fold. I found a 2009 Impreza Outback Sport 2 miles from my house at a dealer. 104K miles, but in excellent condition. The previous owner seems to have maintained it every other day (not really). Super clean, twin to Mike's 2010. Here's a photo

I'm also selling the 87 Porsche to concentrate on the 72. One 911 is enough,

I may be getting a 914-6 project that my Porsche mechanic has had sitting on a lift the last few years.
  • Options
    Looks nice! How is your son doing these days, anyway? He must be "all grown up" now if you're calling him Mike rather than Mikey! :p
  • Options
    kate5000kate5000 Member Posts: 1,271
    Hello, Everyone!
    Happy to see familiar names here! Today, we brought home our 5th Forester: Ice Silver 2015 2.0XT Premium. Traded in Forester 2008 with 130K miles on it.

Kate and family:
    Loyale'92
    Loyale'93
    Forester'01
    WRX'04
    Forester'06 <-- still in the family
    Forester'08 <-- traded in today
    Forester'13 2.5XT Touring <-- my current car
    Forester'15 2.0 XT Premium <-- husband's car as of today

I seriously think the Drive magazine should feature us - the long-lasting fans of the Subaru make :-)

--kate
  • Options
    Kate, I think you are right. I remember you had the '01 Forester about the same time I bought my '01 Outback. I am still driving mine, and hoping to keep it running at least 2 more years! I'm up to about 165,000 miles at this point ...
  • Options
    oh, ladywclass! Thank you for remembering it! I recall how we all were connected via Subaru Chats those days!

It's so great: to be able to come to an old forum - and find the most exciting characters still around!
  • Options
    my daughter is 27 already, can you believe it?

Juice, Bob, Brenda - how are you all doing?

same for fibber2 and Serge(little blue wagon)- how is it going?
  • Options
    My girls are all in their 30's so that makes me 'ancient'. Seven grandchildren ranging from 19 (and in college) down to 4 - 5 boys, 2 girls. I'm still teaching - although these days I'm teaching special education classes (Eng/Rdg) in junior high to 7th and 8th graders. This is my 30th year in education and the first out of elementary school! Life seems to go on somehow ...
    Some of the 'old timers' are connected on Facebook. Kate if you want to find me, I'm Brenda Ladywclass Guy - easy to find ...
  • Options
    jfljfl Member Posts: 1,396
    Wow Kate...your eighth Subaru!

I'm only on my second but the first, 2000 Legacy, had 273k miles when replaced by a 2013 Impreza (that gets 30mpg!).

Brenda, in my opinion, your 2001 Outback is quite young mileage wise...
  • Options
    It may be 'young' mileage wise, but we're having problems that you get with 'older' cars ... Last week was particularly frustrating. My mother-in-law went to the hospital on Easter Sunday and home to hospice care last Wednesday. (It really is 'any time'.) Husband is driving his dad's old 99 Cadillac that we had to 'take away' a few years ago. Last Tuesday he picked it up from garage with about $1000 worth of repairs. The next day he went to make sure his mom's house was ready for her to come home from hospital (about 90 miles away) and the alternator went out. He drove his mom's truck home that day. MY car had problems that day, too, and I took it to the garage immediately after work - and wasn't sure it was going to make it there. Daughter picked me up and I rented a car so I could get to work and back the rest of the week! We're both back to driving 'our' cars now, but ... wow ... I could do with a little let up in the 'stress' department .. (and we start the 2nd round of state testing this week so it's not likely to happen soon ...)
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Congrats on the new arrival Kate.

We have had quite a number of Subarus in our family.

Me:
    '89 GL-10 AWD Turbo Touring wagon
    '93 Legacy L FWD sedan
    '96 Outback
    '03 Outback
    '02 Outback <- bought from Mom
    '12 Impreza Sport Limited
    '15 Forester 2.5i Touring

Mom:
    '89 GL-10 AWD Turbo Touring wagon -> sold to brother
    '02 Outback -> sold to me
    '11 Outback Premium

Brother:
    '89 GL-10 AWD Turbo Touring wagon <- bought from Mom
    '95 Outback Limited
    '12 Outback Premium
  • Options
    raybearraybear Member Posts: 1,795
    This is Subaru #6, picked up after it was traded in at work - a very well-used '99 Outback, manual transmission, shown last new year's eve on an end-of-season grouse hunt in Vermont (the grouse won)

• Options
    Looks like it is in pretty good shape, Ray! Sadly, a lot of those around here are starting to look quite ratty.
  • Options
    kate5000 said:

my daughter is 27 already, can you believe it?

Juice, Bob, Brenda - how are you all doing?

same for fibber2 and Serge(little blue wagon)- how is it going?

Doing fine Kate. Love living by the beach. Saw AJ (juice) and family last week, as they were down here. Grandson Ben will be 1 on May 1. Life is good. :)
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Hi Kate,glad to hear from you. you are a true blue Subaru loyalist. Bob doesn't juice ever visit here anymore?
    Regarding the chats I sure miss those, they were more like family chats than a group of disparate folks from all over getting together on the net.

Cheers Pat.
  • Options
    We did have fun in those weekly chats!
  • Options

Bob doesn't juice ever visit here anymore?

Bob had posted previously that juice's work blocked Edmunds, and he doesn't have time for us outside of work.

• Options

We did have fun in those weekly chats!

You had fun chatting, we had fun "listening" to you. :laughing:

• Options
    dcm61 said:

Bob doesn't juice ever visit here anymore?

Bob had posted previously that juice's work blocked Edmunds, and he doesn't have time for us outside of work.

That's too bad, I thought he was more committed than that.

Cheers Pat.

• Options
    rob_mrob_m Member Posts: 820
    Hey Everyone!!! Been a while. Yeah, definitely miss everyone and the chats ... very entertaining.

How many Subaru's do you need to become a 'loyalist'??? After taking delivery of my Black 2015 Legacy 3.6r Limited (#7), which I absolutely looooove, and Karen with her 09 Outback (#6), I was wondering ... what next???

Well, Subaru #8 will be arriving tomorrow! Last week, I passed by a nice little Black 2002 Impreza TS2.5 wagon for sale on the side of the road near my work while running an errand at lunch. Just had to stop. Decent shape, only 122k, clean inside, drives great ... and the price is right. Perfect first car for Michael, who doesn't know, yet!
  • Options
    lol, you're a good dad. Congrats!
  • Options
    Arrrg... My wife is pressuring me to sell the Mitchmobile (love that ad!) and she wants to buy our daughter a late model Honda CRV! Oh the pain..... I keep dragging her back to a Forester, but truth is they want so darn much for 2-3 year old Subi's that it makes more sense to just pony up the extra few grand and buy a new one. Great resale value bites when you are on the purchasing end!

Brenda, sorry on the loss of you pup, Serge congrats on the Impreza, Kate - I miss having dinner with you and the crew on my visits to sunny Santa Clara!

And true to form, the 'new' OBW just turned 19 months and only 12k miles. The old one is coming up on 14 years with only 118k miles. Oh, and I just sold the 2001 utility trailer I bought with the 2002 OBW and picked up a shiny new 2015. And Emily is about to start finals to complete her first year of college. Man are we getting old!
  • Options
    Hard to believe all the kids are grown up! You guys know I have a grandson in college now?
  • Options
    Hey Rob, nice to hear from you, afraid Michael will always be Mikey to me, say hi to him.

Cheers Pat.
  • Options
    jfljfl Member Posts: 1,396
    Steve, I'd say the OB has a lower cg and would be more stable than a CRV. How do the crash ratings compare btwn OB and CRV? Will the CRV make it up and down your driveway in the middle of winter?

Maybe Emily should get the 'new' OBW and you can get the Mitchmobile back ... maybe not.
  • Options
    jfl said:

Steve, I'd say the OB has a lower cg and would be more stable than a CRV. How do the crash ratings compare btwn OB and CRV? Will the CRV make it up and down your driveway in the middle of winter?

Maybe Emily should get the 'new' OBW and you can get the Mitchmobile back ... maybe not.

That's a pretty decent idea! Cheaper down the stretch, too, then she can get what she wants after she finishes school (and you can get your "new" Outback.... back!).
  • Options

Hard to believe all the kids are grown up! You guys know I have a grandson in college now?

What the... ?! How is that even possible? I need to start keeping track of time somehow.

Just thought about it again.... my dog (Kobresia) is nearly 14.5 now. Hah! She's actually an old dog! I should be more forgiving of her slowness.
  • Options
    My girls are 38 (in July), 35 (in June), and 32. Stepsons are 26 and almost 24. Oldest stepson bought a foreclosure here in town for 25,000. A 2 bedroom, 1 bath home (with basement and detached garage) built in the 20's. I think the lot is worth more than that. The home was livable, but he has made some nice improvements to it. Grandchildren range in age from 19 down to 4. 5 boys and 2 girls. 1 in college and 3 in high school. Time marches on ....
  • Options
    jfl said:

Jim, I actually suggested that to Beth! She gave me 'the look' (you married guys know what that is...) like I'd lost my mind. Women! Oh well.... (ducks and covers as Brenda heaves something heavy my way)
  • Options
    AJ (juice) and I are in touch almost daily. Not long ago he got a big promotion at work, and it's keeping him very busy. That plus his kids are keeping him pretty tied up. He coaches basketball and is just very involved with family stuff.

He does post a lot on Facebook though, as do I. In fact that's why I'm not here as much as I used to be. FB, I think for both of us, has become more the site of choice. "Friend" us to see what we're up to. Serge, Lucian, Pattie, Brenda, Ed Johnson, David Chow, Ken Suzuki, Mike Smith and a few other Edmunds folks are all FB friends.
  • Options
    I'd love to visit that Facebook page, and I googled for it, but too many hits came back. Which one is yours?
  • Options
    To find me .. I'm Brenda Ladywclass Guy. If you friend me, you can see some of the others as friends on my page. I don't have everyone.
  • Options
    Duh ... If you guys want a FB group, I can create one. Just let me know.
  • Options
    kate5000 said:

I'd love to visit that Facebook page, and I googled for it, but too many hits came back. Which one is yours?

"Bob Holland"