Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Subaru Impreza Outback Sport & TS

Comments

• Options
    barresa62barresa62 Member Posts: 1,379
    The snow pretty completely melted in my area by the evening of March 8th. Oh well, at least I got to drive in snow up at Whistler back in Feb. I just found it so crazy that we had 50 degree F plus weather less than a week before freezing temps and snow!

Stephen
  • Options
    paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    I have a set of WRX rims and RE92s with 5K miles. E-mail me if you are interested in them.

-mike
  • Options
    rblelandrbleland Member Posts: 312
    celeste2 - thanx for the offset info. I will be checking out cost of OBS 16" wheels @ dealer.
    brekke - thanx for your comment on 87 octane. I'm staying with 87 until further notice. Filled tank today and put on another 250 km's during break-in period. Running sweet!!!
    bkaiser1 and paisan - thanx for offer (paisan) and the info (bkaiser1). As I am in Kelowna, B.C., I suspect cost of freight and custom's duty to get 4 WRX wheels/tires here would be very high. But thanx anyway. I will check out OBS wheels but probably "cool it" for a bit on wheels. Getting my new Yokohama snows on later this week-still some winter lurking around these parts.
    I sure appreciate all the comments, congratulations and offers from all of you.
  • Options
    bluesubiebluesubie Member Posts: 3,497
    Congrats and time to update your profile! :-)

-Dennis
  • Options
    for reminding me on the profile - fixed it now.
  • Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Congrats on the TS, Rick. Join us for the Thursday chat and tell us all about it live! :-)

-juice
  • Options
    celeste2celeste2 Member Posts: 362
    Hey girl, made it back in one piece, eh? We're having a meet this Saturday just a few miles from me, and trying to conjure up a group photo of our cars. Will post one here if we get one. The meet is at a restaruant in a mall parking lot. Behind the mall is a lake park with an empty lot but I'm sure it's privately owned. It would be perfect but the police would probably be a problem. So we'll have to try to be creative, maybe something with a parking garage outdoor ramp at an office park near here...
  • Options
    brekkebrekke Member Posts: 304
    When I got to the airport we were told that they didn't have a plane for us because the one that was scheduled was "broken." Luckily I only had to wait a few hours. NY thoroughly investigated my bulging backpack, but Tampa just spot checked a few random people.

Thumbs up to Liberty Subaru parts department. Good prices, overall good service. They are sending me a prepaid UPS form so I don't have to pay to ship back a wrong part)

I don't think I'll be doing any other mods after I put in the sway bar. I want to save up for a WRX or something in a few years. Maybe.
  • Options
    I got the full search on my first flight after 9/11. They even checked my shoes! It's cool, though.

-juice
  • Options
    paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    See Juice you need to become a citizen ;)

-mike
  • Options
    Yeah, but I don't look it. No accent either. They searched a pregnant woman in front of me, so it may be random.

-juice
  • Options
    you left just in time. It's getting pretty hot here now...
  • Options
    hondafriekhondafriek Member Posts: 2,984
    When you check out the OBS. wheels at the dealers make sure you are sitting down.

They want an arm and a leg for origional equipment wheels.

I own a 2001 Legacy GT wagon, I had considered replacing the GT alloys with the rims from a 2001 2.5 RS Impreza but the dealer wanted over $500 Cnd. each. need less to say I bought aftermarket rims.

I use the origional GT alloy rims for winter, even the GT rims are are over $250Cnd.each.

heers Pat.
  • Options
    I did check out the price for OBS 16" alloys at the dealers. Yikes!! - over $500 Cdn apiece - I dropped that idea pretty fast. I am cooling it on wheels for now. I picked up a set of 4 very slightly used (less than 2 months) steels and mounted my new snows on them. So I have 8 steels now and it may just stay that way. I may run down to Vancouver next Thursday so that would complete my 1600 kms of "break-in". My lease arrangement included (not at my expense)"DiamondKote" which was done today. The lessor doesn't want an Okanagan sun-faded car back in 4 years so he pays it. Looks sharp and I added a stone deflector to the front hood. The more Matrices and P5's I see; the more convinced I am I picked the right car for me!!
  • Options
    The good news is that a late winter storm has/continues to dump about 4" of wet snow here. The TS is just super to handle in this stuff; far superior to the 4Runner. Good thing I put those 4 new snows on. Those Subie owners who don't get to try their cars in snow are truly missing something. The bad news (no big deal really) is that yesterday the TS just sparkled after being DiamondKoted; now it is badly in need of a wash.
  • Options
    That's OK, I'll take your word for it on the snow situation...

Team Dynamics Motorsports are one type of wheel that is made to fit Subarus. It is tough to find wheels that fit, not all the companies make our size.
  • Options
    If you want OE alloys, shop for take-offs on i Club. Lots of WRX owners are going to 17" rims, so there should be plenty.

I'm sure your car will be easier to wash now.

-juice
  • Options
    .. but I think I will wait a while on the wheels. And, yes, juice, it is easier to wash; which is a good thing as the weather is crummy here now and I will be washing it a lot.
  • Options
    mysubie1mysubie1 Member Posts: 6
    For some reason, in my state (Colorado), regular gasoline is rated at 85 octane rather the the typical 87 octane everywhere else. 87 is an option, but at the premium price. Can someone explain why Colorado has a lower octane? And is it a problem to use the lower octane here, since the manual says to use 87?

Thanks,
    Brad
  • Options
    dielectric7bbdielectric7bb Member Posts: 324
    you're at a higher altitude (generally) so the air is less dense. This means that your compression ratio (not really but sort of) is less than it would be at lower altitudes. This allows you to run lower octane fuel.
  • Options
    the stock front sway bar on the 02 OBS is 20mm (same as the WRX and RS)
  • Options
    gomesgomes Member Posts: 3
    I was testing out my 2002 TS wagon on a snowy parking lot to get the feel of AWD. Sometimes, I would hear a 'thunk' coming from the rear. Is this normal? It only happens the odd time. Any input would be appreciated.
  • Options
    btbosbtbos Member Posts: 2
    Anybody hear about any tweaks to the Outback Sport for the 2003
    model year???
  • Options
    armac13armac13 Member Posts: 1,129
    I've experience the same thunk when playing hard in the snow, especially when the traction is uneven. My Forester is AT and according to other reports, this is normal. Enjoy!!

Ross
  • Options
    gomesgomes Member Posts: 3
    Thanks armac13, mine is also an AT. Now that I have just changed my oil after the 1,600 km break in period, I can drive this car and know that it's normal.
  • Options
    sonicbluesonicblue Member Posts: 1
    I recently purchased a pre-owned 2000 Impreza L wagon. While I like it quite a bit, I was disappointed to find that, starting in 2000, the factory wiring harness does not include the proper connections to add the OEM cruise control kit, like previous years did.

My friend just installed the Subaru OEM cruise kit in his 1999 OBS, which plugged right in to the existing wiring harness.

I'd really like to have the OEM control mounted on the steering wheel, and I'd rather have the OEM control module and actuator instead of some generic third party device.

Any thoughts on this situation?

By the way, I just replaced the frumpy plastic wheel covers and 15" steel wheels with a set of 2002 WRX 16" alloy wheels. What a huge improvement!

Thanks.
    sonicblue
  • Options
    gomes: you are more sensitive than most. You're feeling the auto AWD engage and send power to the rear. Most people don't even notice.

For 2003, I don't expect significant changes, but Subaru has been adding content slowly each year, and prices ought to stay about flat.

-juice
  • Options
    This is my first car with ABS, so I'm not very familiar with how it works. I've noticed the ABS occasionally rumbling for a few seconds in only one specific area -- when I'm descending one particular hill that I turn right on. I'm always going carefully, 2nd gear, gentle braking as I'm descending and turning (like a spiral) and it's happened in both bone dry and wet conditions.

I'm not worried about it, I didn't think it should be activating but maybe I don't understand how ABS works. I thought it only comes on when you brake hard, and I've definitely braked harder elsewhere than I do on this hill.

Actually, I'm assuming it's the ABS - a brief rumbling in my brake pedal.
  • Options
    could you explain what "early apex" and "late apex" mean?
  • Options
    Sure. If you drive the racing line, the apex is the middle of the turn, when you come closest to the curb. An early apex means you turned in too soon, missed the racing line. Late apex means you turned in a bit late. Either will cost you time at the track.

The ABS pulses and is audible, I wonder if that's what it is. Does the hill have pebbles or sand on it? That would make it slippery enough to make ABS engage even in light braking.

Anyone seen ramon? Got married and the wife won't let him chat, or what? ;-)

-juice
  • Options
    subaru_teamsubaru_team Member Posts: 1,676
    maybe he's doing something else? ;~}

Sorry Juice, I couldn't resist.
  • Options
    Maybe in 9 months they'll have a little "Dave". ;-)

-juice
  • Options
    rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    so "that's" what he's been doing...

Bob
  • Options
    that this is a family oriented board. On second thought, I guess this IS family oriented.
    :-)

Ross
  • Options
    This small town had a very high birth rate, so the government decided to find out why, was it something in the water or whatever.

So they go interview the mayor,ask him if he knows what is going on.

Well he says every morning the train comes through at 5-30 AM, and blows its whistle, now its too early to get up and too late to go back to sleep, SO!

Cheers Pat.
  • Options
    subaru_teamsubaru_team Member Posts: 1,676
    I'll refrain from comment but I appreciate the smile!

Patti
  • Options
    You,re welcome,

Cheers Pat.
  • Options
    wazmowazmo Member Posts: 2
    I just purchased a WRX wagon. Great fun, but I have a few questions. Does Subaru (or any other informed party) recommend a turbo timer or pre-lube system? Would synthetic oil provide additional protection for the turbo? Would any of these cause warranty issues?

Tnx. in advance,

Warren
  • Options
    mod7mod7 Member Posts: 13
    Any suggestions for a wax or coating that can help protect my white OBS fro the bird droppings in my parking lot. I know I will have to wash it often, but I was hoping to give it a little more protection. Thanks, MOD7
  • Options
    hypovhypov Member Posts: 3,068
    Mod-
    I use "Finish First" polish with "Finish 2000" over it. I know, overkill but I found it helped with buying time before you could get those "ka-ka" off. :-)

-Dave
  • Options
    barresa62barresa62 Member Posts: 1,379
    posting your question in the WRX wagon forum.

Stephen
  • Options
    My son is a budding auto tech and said he would never have a turbo without a timer. It allows you to leave the car, take the keys out of the ignition, lock it and even walk away while letting the engine run a preset time. This prevents the oil coking onto the turbo's bearings. This is basically what ruins a turbo.
  • Options
    Ramon's wedding date is the first week of June as I remember. With only eight weeks to go I imagine he's busy doing all those things one would need to do in order to please all the folks involved. Jumping thru all the hoops, you know...
  • Options
    Yes, I know! Hope our friend is hangin' in there.

Turbo timers were popular with older engines, but Subaru insists it's not necessary with the WRX.

Either way, what I would do is keep the revs low for the last minute or two of driving, to allow it to start cooling while you're still moving (and air is passing through the radiator for better heat transfer).

Same thing when starting up - keep it under 4000 rpm until the engine temp reaches its normal operating level.

I find that going slow in my neighborhood also pleases neighboring parents with young kids. :-)

-juice
  • Options
    that every neighborhood is someone's neighborhood and deserves equal respect and consideration.

Ross
  • Options
    fern88fern88 Member Posts: 42
    Hey All,

Well, I was initially looking at the WRX wagon but after driving the Outback Sport and the TS, I think I'm going to get one of these instead. I really need a functional car that will last me a while and can take me 350 miles per week. Also by saving the 5k difference, I can get leather seating and a nav system. The power felt nicer than most of the cars I've driven(Matrix XR, protege5, elantra GT, focus ZX5) and I feel it's a more solid, reliable car. Now the question is whether to get the the OBS or TS. These are the ones I'm debating between:

http://www.silicore.com/cars

• Options
    ..are similar to what I went thru about a month ago. I looked at and tested Matrix, Protege5 and Subie OBS and TS sport wagon. The WRX was not in running for me as I was getting a 2nd car for my wife and I and the WRX was too expensive. I live in B.C. and felt that the AWD, the stronger engine and the handling of the 2 Subies was preferable to the P5 (rejected Matrix early on). In Canada, the OBS is $4000 more than the TS and I decided I would go with the TS. In the U.S., I think the OBS is not that much more than the TS; in which case, I might have gone with the OBS. The photos you enclosed are good - that silver OBS would be nice. But they are both good cars and should fit the objectives you set out. Happy picking!!! I have over 1600 kms on my TS now and enjoy it more every day.
  • Options
    I'm not much help - I like all those colors! :-)

Though silver is easiest to keep clean. The other colors are dark and will be harder to clean, plus they'll show swirl marks.

Neat little factiod: the OBS gets cross bars with small loops at the end of the cross bars, to be used as tie-downs. The Forester and Legacy/Outback do not get this neat feature.

Bob pointed that out to me at the NY Auto Show.

-juice
  • Options
    cheezeweezlecheezeweezle Member Posts: 3
    I got the Midnight Black OBS and love it. The first 2 weeks some turd put a crease in my passenger door but I should be able to get that fixed pretty cheaply. The OBS here, in Ohio, is about the same price as the TS. Also with the goodies list that the others don't get is the Ambient temp gauge, 16" wheels (TS has 15" rims), cargo tray, power outlet, and cargo net..STANDARD! Get the armrest extenision too!!! More storage and a place to put your arm!.
  • Options
    fern88fern88 Member Posts: 42
    Hey All,

Thanks for all the info. Right now i'm talking prices on the silver OBS. I'm basically down to the following options and price:

silver OBS
    - arm extension
    - air filtration
    - autodiming mirror
    - keyless entry
    - cargo net
    - muffler cover thingy (already has it)
    - aftermarket leather seats and side panels

19,500.00 plus tax and lic.

does that sound pretty good?
This discussion has been closed.