Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Audi S4 and S4 Cabriolet

1262728293032»

Comments

• patpat Posts: 10,421
    A reporter with a national newspaper is hoping to talk with consumers who have received or are giving a luxury car as a gift for Christmas. Please reply to ctalati@edmunds.com no later than Friday, December 8, 2006 with your daytime contact info.

Thanks,

Chintan Talati
    Corporate Communications
    Edmunds Inc.
  • dhamiltondhamilton Posts: 873
    Any Audi fans out here feel like the S4 has been passed up by the BMW 335 for value, acceleration, and pretty good handling? I feel like Audi needs to make a move at some point to increase the performance of the S4, or the A4 significantly, or risk being irrelevant in the segment.
  • reality2reality2 Posts: 303
    Good choice. The S4 is "Highly Recommended" by Consumer Reports. I used to own a 2004 S4 and never had any problems, but what a fun car to drive.
  • reality2reality2 Posts: 303
    I doubt the A4 will become irrelevant in this segment. That is quite a statement considering not only the popularity of the A4, but its reputation around the world. That said, I do agree with you Audi must respond to the ever present evil. A new A4 with a completely new platform is set to debut next year. Not much details yet, but initial pics look very promising. A complete new platform is expected (see the upcoming A5 coupe). Handling and steering will be improved further. What I know is that Audi is very serious with the next A4 and with its recent launches, this should bode well of the next A4. Everything will change from what is already one of the best in this class to even better. However, not enough details yet.
    Yeah, I know about the new MLP platform, i just wasn't sure if and when it hits dealers. Markincincinnatti said something about the quattro being reworked as well. I know they are doing a rear biased torque system, but I thought he said it may be more like the Subaru system that only engages the front wheels on extreme slip.

I think a considerable bump in horsepower is necasary as well.
    I really think it's the S4 that becomes irrelevant.
  • i disagree with your "irrelevant statement".
    don't forget that the S4 has a fantastic V8
    and AWD. those attributes along with high quality materials
    inside and out make the S4 still unbeatable in its
    class. BMW's new 335i is an impressive performer
    at a reasonable price. i've test driven one and
    it is a nice automobile. even though
    it is a brand new vehicle the current generation S4 is still a more comprehensive package overall. having owned
    both BMW's and Audi's i am on a daily basis impressed with
    Audi's attention to detail and the amount of subtle features Audi loads into their cars.
  • esfesf Posts: 1,020
    I agree.

Although, take note that I've never owned a BMW. I probably will- if not a 650ci to replace the S4 (that won't happen), then a 335xi coupe if that comes to market. or a secondhand E70 X5, to replace the A3 as my winter car.

'06 Audi A3 2.0T DSG • '05 Audi S4 Cabriolet • '04 Lexus RX330
  • esfesf Posts: 1,020
    I agree with reality2. I don't see it becoming "irrelevant" any time soon.

The current model, maybe- as the C-Class (upcoming), G, IS and 3 are all in their next generations.

But, being the second-best-selling car in its class, worldwide (right behind the 3, with the others trailing considerably), the A4 has an enviable position and will improve it greatly with the new model. If they finally utilize the 3.6L V6 in their mainstream cars, it would do wonders- especially if they could get it to about 310hp; the 2.0T can easily be upgraded to the mid-200 range. The S4 should have a slightly de-tuned RS4 engine (380-400hp), and the B8 RS4 should have at least 450hp. However, I'm not saying that like I know specs- I'm saying that I think it should have those numbers.

'06 Audi A3 2.0T DSG • '05 Audi S4 Cabriolet • '04 Lexus RX330
  • andres3andres3 CAPosts: 5,330
    Between the 3 different S4's, mainly, the covertible, the sedan, and the wagon?

Thanks!
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Dkaregeannes, I moved your post to the S4 Prices Paid & Buying Experience discussion. Someone there should be able to help.
  • I have a 2007 stick/manual S4, and I've noticed a rattling or vibration sound from the front right of the car just as I'm letting out the clutch to take off after a stop.

It stops again almost immediately (as I continue to accelerate) and doesn't appear occur at higher gears (although the engine might be drowning it out).

Anyone else experienced this?
  • I just purchased a 2005 s4 sedan and i`m in love with it! Its fast and handles like a porche if not better my question is that their is this moisture inside the headlights on the light cover from the inside...does anyone know if this is normal for a 3 year old car? Thanks.
  • mr1340mr1340 Posts: 10
    I have a 2005 S4 and was told by the dealer moisture is normal from time to time and to resolve it run the high beams for 30 minutes to dry the lights out
  • alko1alko1 Posts: 9
    I'm shopping used '04-'07 S4 vs '03 (old style)BMW 540 w/M Sport package. Love driving both cars. Anyone have any insights, thoughts, what to watch out fors??
  • I bought an 05 S4 Cabrio a year ago as a certified used car. Great car but had some initial electrical bugs. the battery kept dieing and the dealer had a very hard time diagnosing the issue in one of the black boxes. After 5 trips to the dealer and a lot of disconnecting my battery at night they got it resolved. It also burned through a radio and an amplifier. I assume these issues were isolated and not typical of the S4. keep in mind its burns lots of fuel particularly when you get on it but in the end its a really fun car that is very capable winter and summer with Quattro.

enjoy

rich b
  • jmgmdjmgmd Posts: 4
    Happy to say I just ordered a 2008 S4. Haven't owned a car for 6 years (live in NYC) and I can't wait..I have a few questions and would love to get some input from someone out there with experience:
    1. How do people feel about the silver leather interior?? I ordered it having only seen the black interior up close and now I'm nervous that it looks a bit awkward with the black dash and carpet.
    2. Is the stereo amazing or just OK?
    3. Also thinking about an exhaust upgrade and window tinting; any contacts in the Palm Beach Florida area??
    Thanks
  • denverg35denverg35 Posts: 51
    I have a 2005 S4 with what I think is the color you are calling silver (looks kinda greyish white to me). I still get compliments on the color contrast to the black interior. You do have to be careful with this light color though, as it will show stains easily
  • jmgmdjmgmd Posts: 4
    Any comments on the quality of the stereo in the S4. superior, above average or average??

Thanks.
  • asa2asa2 Posts: 23
    I'm liking the S4 from outside. Have an ML350 I like and was going to get another-question--How is the interior space realistically if I have to bring 2 kids along some of the time (not everyday)?
  • pfhuntpfhunt Posts: 2
    No problem at all.

The S4 more of a small sedan than a roadster or coupe. Although the leg room in the back is a bit limited, I've had four adults (including myself) in my S4 quite comfortably - for short-to-medium trips, anyway. Two kids would be no trouble at all.

Peter
  • Alright so, heres the deal...
    I had an AWESOME bmw x5, 4.4i, sport package, x-drive, loved it.
    It got totaled.
    SO... while i had the x5 i got a 335 rental and LOVED IT, so i was looking at used 330xi's , 06 and above, to replace the x5 just because i love the way they drive, awesome car, plus the 20/30 is a nice change from my x5s 16/22.
    I also am intrigued by the 2008 r32's, and used theyre about the same for a lot less milage and more warranty. updated...i just drove one today, and it is AWESOME. totally unexpected, its actually more fun than the 3 series, and im a HUGE bmw fan so thats saying a lot. i even went to the bmw driving school, i think theyre the benchmark. that car was GOOD. so now im thorougly confused...
    I drove an a4, it was a 06 2.0t, and was really unimpressed (we have a q7 and it did not hold up to the standard set by the q), so im thinking maybe an 05 s4 would be a nice choice and would drive differently, but again, the gas milage... updated again...i drove the s4 today too, and it was FASTTTT, just pulled, the kind of power im used to from my x5, or, past x5... :( But it drove great, not as tight as the r32 or 3 series, but it pulled for sure. plus, the quattro is always awesome.
    AND, the subaru sounds like an all-around good buy, but i dont know if i can see myself actually getting one. (and possibly, i could look at fx's again, i looked at em when i got my x5, but i kinda wanted to move away from the suv thing, so if i got another one its prob be an x5)
    if anyone could give my any advice or insight or opinion ill take anything i can get!! thank you guys so much!! please help i cant decide!! ive only driven the 330i, and so far ive set that as a benchmark for anything else i drive...
    Thanks for the help!!!!
  • I'm thinking of buying an S4, and I would like to put some mods on it. First, what is the biggest size wheel you can put on this car? Second, where can I look for wheels? I looked at tirerack.com and they don't have anything that I think would look really great on this car. I'm looking for something with 8 to 10 spokes. Second, where would be the best place to buy a chip? Does it matter? Are they all the same? Who can install the chip? Third, the dealer that I'm thinking of buying this car from says this car has Navigation, but I've been in one before and I don't know where it would be? Can this car with Navigation?

I appreciate your help and taking the time to answer my questions. This is my first post so if I'm in the wrong forum I would appreciate any help to where I should go. Thanks.
  • I'm thinking of buying an S4, and I would like to put some mods on it. First, what is the biggest size wheel you can put on this car? Second, where can I look for wheels? I looked at tirerack.com and they don't have anything that I think would look really great on this car. I'm looking for something with 8 to 10 spokes. Second, where would be the best place to buy a chip? Does it matter? Are they all the same? Who can install the chip? Third, the dealer that I'm thinking of buying this car from says this car has Navigation, but I've been in one before and I don't know where it would be? Can this car with Navigation?

Also, my friend is a mechanic and he says that Audi's a pieces of junk. Don't buy one. Has anyone had reliability issues? I know the older ones are unreliable, but how about 2004 and newer

I appreciate your help and taking the time to answer my questions.
  • Okay, all of you with a 2010/2011 S4. Do your wheels have the "S4" caliper clips on the back wheels or only on the front? I thought my rear ones fell off, and my dealer is telling me it never had them because it doesn't come with them. I find this hard to believe, but can't find any pictures close enough to tell.
  • Just picked up my 2011 on 11/27 and it does not have them on the rear. Nor have any other S4's I've seen.
This discussion has been closed.