Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Volvo S80

Comments

• Options
    dfrieddfried Member Posts: 1
    Re #600 Reliability: I took delivery of my 2001 S80 T6 on November 1st, 2000. The car is fantastic and has been fault free over 12,000 kms. The purchase experience was excellent as has been servicing (oil and filter twice, tire rotation). Danny
  • Options
    bryhoganbryhogan Member Posts: 23
    I haven't tried this, but found an old post that should answer your question....

"I believe the proper sequence to reset your service light; turn ignition key to position I, push in and hold the odometer reset button (use your left hand), move the ignition key to position II, wait until you see the service light blinking, then release the odometer reset button.
    Caution make sure it is only a reminder of an oil change. "
  • Options
    scottc3scottc3 Member Posts: 137
    A general post.. my 2000 T6 has 23K miles on it, and has been trouble free.

A few recent posts about the 22.5K mile service, including my post, questioned why pay the $490 (approx) price when it seems like most fluid levels are checked, and breaks. I was concerned about my front breaks.. and today I had the pads changed.. cost was $161. Took about 30 minutes at the dealer. The interesting part was the existing pads were in good shape, with about 5-6mm of pad left.. the back have 9mm left. They would easily go 30K miles, maybe 40K, the way I drive and use the breaks. After watching this done, I'll do it myself next time.

The other interesting point the dealer brought up was the transmission flush.. which is suggested at the 22.5K service.. cost's about $300!! ouch. Seems you have to drop the pan, replace an expensive gasket and filter, and refill with fluid.. (7 qts) - was told it's messy.. "GM transmissions are not user friendly on this car".. so I was told.

Just FYI..
    Scott
  • Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Hi - I am PR Director for Edmunds.com and often am approached by journalists looking to talk with consumers for various automotive stories. Currently, I'm helping a major newspaper find consumers who are experiencing "gadget backlash." Did you buy a vehicle filled with exciting techno-gadgets, and wish you didn't? Have you given up trying to play a CD, set the ambient temperature or use the navigation system because the controls are just too complicated? Did you drive off the lot in your new vehicle without getting a full explanation of all the toys, figuring "how hard could it be?" and are now realizing it's more confusing than you could have imagined? What experiences have you had with the Mercedes joystick and the Volvo radio, both of which feature a lot of functionality but seem less intuitive than traditional controls?
    This story will touch on the following trends:

-the gadgets in high-end vehicles from the Lexus LS 430 and Volvo S80 to Porsches and beyond

-drivers in their 40s-60s buying sports cars

-driver distraction

If you have anything to add, we'd love to hear from you. Please submit your experience to Talk to the Press and/or to jfallon@edmunds.com, including your current vehicle, daytime phone number and city and state of residence. (Your identity will be protected at your request.)

Thanks for your consideration of this opportunity to share your story!

Regards,

Jeannine Fallon

Director of Public Relations

jfallon@edmunds.com
  • Options
    Hi from Edmunds.com's PR Department.

A journalist from one of the country's largest newspapers has asked us for help finding consumers who recently purchased a Lexus L430, Mercedes C class or BMW 3 series after considering a more expensive vehicle, or anyone who recently considered purchasing a luxury vehicle, but decided not to because of the economy.

If you fit this description and care to share your story, please respond to jfallon@edmunds.com and/or rpopely@tribune.com with your e-mail, phone number, city and state of residence, and a brief description of your experience. The journalist promises to keep you identity hidden at your request.

Hope to hear from you soon!

Jeannine Fallon

Director of Public Relations

PLEASE NOTE: Respond by clicking on the email addresses above. Responses posted here will NOT be seen by the folks who want to hear from you. Thanks!

Pat
    Host
    Sedans and Women's Auto Center Message Boards
  • Options
    derekchoyderekchoy Member Posts: 36
    First of all, I'd like to say thanks to jletkowicz who offered valuable advice on my purchase of the bike carrier, I bought it two weeks ago and have used it twice, it is fantastic and I think my S80 looks better with the bikes on! :)

I have a question though about cleaning the interior, especially the vinyl door panel. My interior is a light-colored one, I forget what it was called back in 99 but it looks like the Light Sand/Arena in the 2001 model. I've got some dirt marks or even some oil greasy marks on the door panel (I have no idea how it got on), I've tried using some solvents and rub them firmly but still I couldn't get them off. Any advice how to rub them off? It looks especially obvious on light-colored panels.

Thanks!

Derek
  • Options
    Hi folks,

Now that we have moved to our new platform, we no longer have the requirement to stop and restart discussions after the numbers of posts exceed a certain limit. To keep from confusing our newer members down the road, we are going through the discussion list bit by bit and dropping the "part" numbers associated with some of our extended discussions.

Since this will be the permanent home for discussion of the S80, I have removed the "Part Five" from the title of this discussion and altered the name of the archived version to distinguish it from this one.

Sorry for the interruption - please continue....

Pat
    Host
  • Options
    landlockedlandlocked Member Posts: 14
    I think I heard (or read) somewhere that the S80 platform is not long for this world.

Any truth to the rumor??? Has anyone heard anything about this? If it is true, what implications does that hold for the S60? The current platform is pretty new, so it seems odd that they would ditch it so quickly.
  • Options
    mjc0617mjc0617 Member Posts: 1
    Here is what my dealer told me about turning the check engine light off. Place the key in the ignition, hold in the trip mileage button, turn the key to the second position (this is the on position, not start) keep holding the trip button, when the check engine light flashes let go of the trip button. It should be reset.

Now, we have not tried it yet as the light has not come on since having the dealer reset it. It would be interesting to know if it works.
  • Options
    jlfoxjlfox Member Posts: 14
    The procedure you gave turns off the SERVICE REMINDER light. The check engine light will reset itself over time for certain corrected problems, such as a loose gas cap.
  • Options
    freeboyfreeboy Member Posts: 1
    Does anybody have any thoughts about the effect that the introduction of the S60 and S80 will have on trade-in value of a 1998 S70 GLT (40,000 miles, excellent condition) over the next two years? Will the rate of depreciation accelerate in light of the redesign? I'm trying to evaluate whether I should upgrade to an S80 now (I have a very attractive trade-in offer) or whate another year or so.
  • Options
    capoanycapoany Member Posts: 32
    Freeboy, I'm about to upgrade to s80 t6, as there is a $2000 certificate for VNA customers. My 2000 S70 has been great, bt I've blown through the mileage on the lease ( 30K in 16 mo's) due to a long distance commute. Even in like new condition, the trade -in is pathetically low, far lower than Edmund's numbers. There are a ton of 850's and s70's out there.
  • Options
    rollierollie Member Posts: 337
    Regarding post #609:

landlocked, from all that I know this is not much of a rumor. It has barely made any mileage here or on the BrickBoard. The P2 platform will be here for a LONG time as more models spawn from it for Volvo. What is true is:

-Ford wanted to use this platform for the Taurus starting in MY2005 or so (around the time the platform would be replaced by Volvo). As it happens, Ford engineers squeezed all they could out of the platform in terms of costs and still couldn't determine how to make it cheap enough for the next generation Taurus. Last I read this effort was put on the back burner.

-I did read a reference to some interview Wolfgang Rietzle gave to I believe a European rag. From the message I read he supposedly did order engineers to come up with some suspension modifications for this particular platform (and he has been HUGE fan of this platform in the past so I think he is looking at this as the platform for other future efforts - possibly even across PAG brands in which case getting the suspension in line closer to offerings like BMW would make sense).

That's about all I know. The S80 platform will be here for quite some time unless some deadly flaw is found in the design! Wolfgang Rietzle had previously stated that this particular platform alone justified Ford's acquisition price for Volvo.

Thanks.

-rdo
    rdollie@home.com
  • Options
    wbreauxwbreaux Member Posts: 33
    I work for a company that has a deal with Ford allowing employees to buy under the "X Plan". I understand that this applies to Volvo's as well. I am getting more info (initial impressions are that for Fords this is below invoice) but would like to know if anyone has experience or knowledge of buying a Volvo with this plan. Also does anyone know if this applies to Jag's as well.
  • Options
    cali30306cali30306 Member Posts: 4
    I am considering XPlan and OSD. XPlan is supposed to be 1% above invoice. Will appreciate feedback on either plan. Are there any dealer charges over and above the OSD cost?
  • Options
    ccinhkccinhk Member Posts: 1
    Did anyone else last winter have problems with the battery dying in their S80. The dealer couldn't find anything and I thought it may be the lowjack. I happened once after I left the car for a week without driving it and another time after two weeks. I park in a heated garage and I thought perhaps it was due to the garage attendants leaving the keys in the ignitions.
  • Options
    To posts 615 and 616, I am also able to utilize the X-plan. I was told that it is the invoice, less hold back, plus 2%. The result is that you pay roughly what you see as the invoice cost here on Edmund's.

I was also considering OSD, but have decided against it due to a few very poor experiences related in early postings on this site. That, and the fact that I'm more likely to use the train in Europe anyway. With the X-plan pricing, I would save about $800. Not a significant amount when talking about a $40K car.
  • Options
    Regarding post #617:

ccinhk, when is the last time someone added water to the battery? You'd be surprised but I believe that most owners assumed the S80 had a maintenance free battery (I assumed the same since it was located in the trunk). I believe I recall that the manual calls for the battery to be filled every 3 months or so. If it hasn't been done it could significantly affect starting ability (particularly in extreme weather).

Good luck.

Thanks.

-rdo
    rdollie@home.com
  • Options
    Regarding post #618:

landlocked, you referenced some earlier descriptions of negative experiences with the OSD program? Are you sure? I've been here on this board for a couple of years (as well as brickboard.com) and can say that the overwhelming opinion has been quite positive amongst those who have chosen the OSD program (including myself). There are some things to consider like when you assume the loan and shipping time but overall I don't think I've ever read a decisively negative post about someone's OSD experience. Volvo Sweden is a world class operation from my experience and could teach VCNA a lot from a customer service perspective.

If you know of specific posts related to negative OSD experiences please let me know.

Thanks.

-rdo
    rdollie@home.com
  • Options
    nfacbladenfacblade Member Posts: 2
    After receiving two door dings and seeing many S80 on the road with similar cosmetic blemishes on the door panels, it occurs to me that this must be a result of a combination of the prominent "shoulder" design in the body panels and the thin sheetmetal on the S80. When I press my thumb on the S80 door panel, I can feel the sheetmetal being displaced quite a bit. Comparing with my Honda Accord, it seems that the sheetmetal on the Honda is much sturdier. Maybe because of this, the doors on the S80 seem to take more effort to close. After fixing the dings which marred an otherwise beautiful car, I have become much more careful how I park my S80 and usually avoided driving my S80 to crowded shopping area if I can help it. Does anyone have a similar experience with their door ding problem?
  • Options
    wbreauxwbreaux Member Posts: 33
    I've been following the prior comments and would appreciate if someone would fill me in on what OSD is. Thanks.
  • Options
    I had similar experience with door dings and after spending about $500 to get the dings removed, I am now a lot more careful on choosing my parking spot, especially at crowded shopping center. I totally agree that it is so much easier to get dings on the S80 than any other vehicles that I currently own. However, I think the S80 looks fantastic with the shoulder and I wouldn't trade it for anything.

Derek
  • Options
    wbreaux -

OSD is overseas delivery and it is a very compelling opportunity. Volvo will fly you round-trip from just about any major US city to any major European city, put you up in a hotel for a night, and deliver your car to you to use during your vacation. You can check out the specifics at http://new.volvocars.com/overseas/.

A few earlier postings (I believe they were on the whiner-page loosely-related to this one) mentioned having charges that people were not expecting to have to pay once they arrived in Sweden. It turns out that these charges were mandate by the government, not Volvo., so my earlier comment about negative experiences was perhaps a bit strongly worded. I'll see if I can find the actual postings I'm revering to and share them some other time.

BMW - took delivery of my T6 on Saturday and I couldn't be happier. I'm certain that my urge to talk-down OSD had as much to do with impatience as anything! ;-)

• Options
    bucky1bucky1 Member Posts: 20
    My S80 was delivered to me brand new with two door dings in the left rear door. Thanks to some sadistic uncaring %&*#$@ I now have matching dings on the right rear door. At least everything is symmetrical. Volvo. really should have used thicker sheet metal in the doors. BTW... has anyone noticed that the doors on the new VW Passat close with a much more solid feel than those on the S80? My passengers never seem to be able to close their door on the first try. Then they over compensate and grand slam the door. It drives me nutz!
    Big Cringe {:-(
  • Options
    bucky1bucky1 Member Posts: 20
    Can anyone out there tell me what a 30,000 mile service on a S80 2.9 should cost? My dealer has quoted $450 and that sounds a bit heavy. Thanks for any input!
  • Options
    tennbergtennberg Member Posts: 45
    Hi,

This is the second or third post I have put on here regarding the door locks on the S80, and have yet to receive an answer which fully explains what is happening.
    I just took my car back after the 7500 mile service the other day. In addtion to the service, I also had them replace the door lock software. They said this "upgraded" version should fix my problem. Well, to get to the point, it didn't.
    Here is what is happening now, and what has happened in the past: While I am driving along on the higway with all the doors locked, one of the doors will decide to unlock without me pushing any of the unlock buttons (either on the doors or on the key fob). Before the 7500 mile service, any of the doors could have unlocked. If all the doors were unlocked, one of them would lock itself. Attempting to then lock or unlock the doors with the button on either front door would not work. I would have to press the button 5-6 times before it would actually work.
    Now, after the 7500 mile service, only the right rear door does this, and boy, does it do it! It will lock or unlock several times a minute. Attemping to use the door buttons no longer works unless I keep pressing them. In addition, a warning light appeared on my dash the other day saying that the right rear door was open when it was actually shut. I got out of the car and shut it, only for the warning light to still say it was open. Closed it again, light still stayed on. I restarted the car, and the light still stayed there. Only when I put the car in drive and took off did it finally disappear.
    So, my question to you is this: Have you ever had this happend, and has your dealer found an effective solution? It seems like I almost have to replace the entire door or turn the car back in because of these defects.
    Thank you for looking this over.

Mike
  • Options
    wferrelwferrel Member Posts: 1
    When will the 2002's be ready for OSD?

Appartently, you can pick your new car up most anywhere (main cities, I presume) in Europe. It doesn't have to me at the factory. Is this correct? Is it fair to say the that the pickup cities are generaly the same as the drop off cities as outlined on the Volvo OSD web site?

Can anyone comment on OSD pickups and the service if not picked up in Sweeden. Our plans would be to pick the car up and drive through Europe for 10 days before returning to the US. It would be no big deal to pick it up in Sweeden and drive it to central Europe, I suppose. Looking at the map, does one get to central Europe from Sweeden by ferry, bridge or are there highways on land areas too small for me to see on my Atlas map?

And lastly, (sorry for the dumb questions) do any countries in central Europe and Sweeden drive on the LEFT side of the road. I want to avoid that challenge, if I can. I know that UK countries do, and Germany does not, but I am not up to speed on other European counties.

Thanks in advance for your insight.

Wynn
  • Options
    campscamps Member Posts: 12
    Re: post 619
    Rollie
    What's up? I have been off the scene for a while. My S80 is usually garaged for extended periods and although it starts after one try, I could sense that the Battery may be weakening. Can I disconnect the negative lead without causing any serious repercussions in terms of all the computerisation in the car? I have done it with previous cars and all that would happen is that the clock would stop working. The battery is kept alive this way because it is not draining any electrical gadgets. Do you think it would be safe to do the same with the Volvo?
    Camps
  • Options
    miker10miker10 Member Posts: 5
    tennberg,

i have been having related, though different
    problems with the door locks on my '01 s80.
    check the forum for my previous posts.
    most recently, about 2 weeks ago, my dealer
    replaced the rear electronics module for the
    second time. so far, the left rear door lock
    (my "problem" lock) appears to be behaving itself.
    i'm keeping my fingers crossed.

mike
  • Options
    scottc3scottc3 Member Posts: 137
    I live in the San Jose area.. (and we dont' have power 100% of the time either!).. anyway, I've had my 2000 S80 for since Dec 99 and I've yet to get a door ding (until I write this I'm sure). I credit some of the lack of dings on the door to the flex / give in the side panels. I'm sure my door must get hit once in a while, but I'm careful as I can be.. but so far none. I DO HAVE several windshield dings / pits that I've never had before in any car. I don't get this.. either the windshield is at a wierd angle, or the glass is not that great.. I have no spreading cracks, but maybe 10-15 pits where pebbles have hit over the 18 months.

On the 30K service.. I understand there is a $300 transmission service / flush. I'll have this done I think.. or may do myself, but I've been told there is no drain plug, you have to drop the pan to drain the fluid, and replace the gasket.. which is some bucks in itself.

There's my thoughts. No problems with my car yet.. funny most of us say yet! I do change the oil every 4-6K miles..not sure it helps engine problems, but does not hurt.

Scott
  • Options
    emachineemachine Member Posts: 17
    I picked up my 2001 T6 though OSD lat year on July 31. I didn't have the first 2001, but I was pretty close. I ordered the car May 5, and if I remember correctly, it was ready by July 5. The OSD people will know for sure when the 2002s start, but I think production will start in June/July.

Check the prices on delivery/dropoff. Some cities have substantial surcharges---$500 to $1,000. My wife and I picked ours up in Goteborg(no surcharge and a cool tour of the facility) and drove south to Denmark. A bridge was opened 3 weeks before we got there that links Sweden & Denmark. You can read about it at http://www.oresundskonsortiet.com/.

It was an easy drive(on the right side of the road) all throughout Scandinavia, and most people speak english. However, if you want to get to mainland europe quickly, take the ferry. It leaves Goteborg at night and arrives in Germany the next day. Volvo even offers a dicount on one of the ferry lines.

Main roads are good although very slow and tight in Norway. Remember, the S80 is a big car by American standards, much less european. It is hard to park in many of the old city centers. Talk about fear of door dings! We usually drove to a hotel(check to make sure they have parking) and left the car for a day or so.

OSD is a great way to buy a car. Would do it again. The only downside is waiting 3-5 weeks for your car to get back to the states.

Good luck. Let me know if I can answer any more questions.

• Options
    Regarding post #629:

Hi camps. Welcome back. I've been laying low for awhile as well.

Regarding the battery issue - I don't know if leaving just the positive lead connected will be problematic or not. I do know that you will loose simple things like the radio settings, memory seat settings, Homelink programming, etc. if the battery is completely disconnected. An option might be a battery trickle charge unit (you can find them at Wal-Mart, Pep Boys,etc.) that will allow you to leave your battery connected and insure that your car always starts after long periods.

Either way, I would highly recommend a call to the local dealership to find out if there is any reason to be concerned about leaving just the positive lead connected.

Good luck.

-rdo
    rdollie@home.com
  • Options
    campscamps Member Posts: 12
    Re post 633.
    Thanks for your response Rollie. It was good to hear you again. What's in the pipe line for you these days. Have you seen the Jaguar X type as yet? What would you compare it with at Volvo? I like it looks as well as that of the Volvo S60.Have you heard any more about the Volvo SUV? I can't wait to see it in the flesh. What do you think?
    Camps
  • Options
    hrollinshrollins Member Posts: 1
    Hello, I have a 2001 S80 2.9 and there is something moving in my gearshift after I stop. It is like it is on a pendulum. Does anyone else have this noise. The dealership said it gearshift lock moving and that there is nothing wrong with it. I love my Volvo, but this noise is driving me crazy!!
  • Options
    dsm4dsm4 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2000 S-80 T-6 that I purchased in November 1999. It currently has 29,000 miles. I had a headlight bulb go out the other day. Daylight Running lamps are the default on my car so it was naturally a low-beam bulb that burned out.
    Here is the tip: The low beam and the high beam bulbs are identical. You can temporarily switch the high beam for the low beam bulb and at least have your low beams still working. You should place the burned out low-beam bulb in the high-beam slot to keep the headlight assembly sealed. Also the parts department at my Volvo dealer says that the bulb will replaced under warranty at my next service.
    Anyway I still love driving my S-80. No problems. Lots of miles and lots of fun.

David
  • Options
    I have a 1999 S80 2.9 and my left low-beam light bulb went out at around 22k miles, I figured that since I have my daytime running lights on, it isn't unusual to have a burnt out bulb at 22k miles. Anyway, I brought it into the dealer which got it replaced under warranty on the spot.

Derek
  • Options
    snuckleysnuckley Member Posts: 1
    I have 4 S80 T6 11 spoke 16in. alloy wheels with Michelin Pilot HX 225/55-16 mounted . The wheels have no dings or scratches. The tires have 25,000 miles on them. I rotated them out with 4 Blizzaks on steel wheels for winter use. So the wheels saw no salt. The S80 was totaled several weeks back. It saved my wifes life. 50mph head on into the side of a 8500 lb truck that turned in front of her.That awesome Volvo did its job and took the impact beautifully-front end GONE but the front doors Opened! A-pillars and driver footwell not intruded upon. Snow tires were mounted at time of crash and Insur Co wouldn't let me swap-good news for you guys. I want $800 for the 4 wheels and tires + Shipping. They would be a great for any one who wants to run snows on something that looks better Tire Racks wheel covers or upgrade from the base wheel. They gotta cost 300-400ea. from dealer I havent checked.BTW- Wife now driving Audi S4 Avant-her choice. S80 had some electrical gremlins that annoyed her.....email Snuckley@RCN.com
  • Options
    poc322poc322 Member Posts: 22
    I'm seriously looking at buying a Volvo S60 T5 and i was wondering if anyone has dealt with the dearship in Austin TX, and what their experience has been. Bascially i've narrowed my choise down between the volvo and the audi a4 2.8 quttro. So i'm hooping to hear from others about their dealings with the service department and such from the local dealership here, or in general.
  • Options
    capoanycapoany Member Posts: 32
    Picked up '01 T6, after turning in my '00S70, and all is well. $2000 returning VNA rebate, and aggressive pricing made it quite a compelling deal. My second car from Garden State Volvo, Wall, NJ, and they have been quite upstanding. VNA was obstinate on the lease turn in on the S70 however. I offered to buy it at somewhat less than end of lease price ( which was way over RETAIL), but they said no bargaining...OK, let them take a bath at auction.
  • Options
    luxbuyerluxbuyer Member Posts: 6
    poc322 -
    Hate to say, but my experiences with Roger Beasley Volvo sales and service have not been good - the service has been haphazard and the sales department acts like they are the only game in town (which they are!).

My advice; go on the internet and let either the San Antonio or Richardson Volvo dealers vie for your business. I bought my S80 at Volvo of Richardson and could not be happier with the deal OR the service.

On the sales side, Roger Beasely had a total of 4 S80's to choose from (Nov99) vs literally 100's in Richardson. The price quote was list plus vs. dollars over invoice at Richardson.

On service, I tried to have a door seal replaced in Austin. When I picked up my car, the seal was dangling over the door frame! LOOSE!! I pointed out that they had forgot to put a screw back in place, and had to check the car back in for another day. Guess what - they STILL didn't get the screw in the door seal. AAAAUUURRRRGGG.

I call my service consultant, Terry Smith at Richardson, on the way to Dallas (biz in Dallas takes me there once a month) and he has a car waiting for me when I arrive. Don't try this in Austin. The wait for a loaner car is about 3-6 weeks. Volvo of Richardson takes GREAT pride in their service and strive to do it right. Can't say enough good things, but it's worth the 200+ mile ride to get my car done right.

No direct experience with the SA dealership.

Good luck,
    Lux
  • Options
    cacamiocacamio Member Posts: 8
    Not a major accident. Suburban backs into rear of my S80 in parking lot cracking my bumper and scratching paint on my trunk. My car will be at ins. adjuster on 6/3. Please advise on any tips for dealing with the ins. adjuster and then the body shop so we can be treated fairly. Thanks for any help on this.
  • Options
    joel2468joel2468 Member Posts: 75
    I owned a 1999 S70. About 16000 miles into ownership, someone drove along the passenger side of the car, and damaged the passenger front door and fender (he wasn't paying attention; on the phone). This was about $3K+ damage. Luckily the driver had insurance, but his insurance company insisted that I use one of their body shops, a local Ford Dealership. I fought them for two weeks through my insurance company, and finally they allowed me to have it repaired at a body shop that specializes in volvo, jaguar, bmw, mercedes repairs. The owner of the shop had visited one of the Volvo factories to see how they are manufactured, and only uses genuine Volvo parts, and paint. The repair and paint jobs were perfect. My car was in for repairs for aprox 5 weeks, and insurance picked up a rental car for the whole time period.

The message here is find a body shop that has a great deal of experience repairing Volvos. Your dealership may be able to help locate one in your area. And use only genuine Volvo parts. And insist the Suburban's insurance pay for a "luxury" rental car...maybe a volv, but probably an infiniti or lincoln LS.

It is not surprising to me that the driver of something as big as a Suburban hit you. I have seen many near misses in parking lots. If people only had enough common sense to buy sensible cars, instead of gifantic gas guzzlers.... oh well, off the soap box.
  • Options
    toddartoddar Member Posts: 10
    I need a little help. I am looking for a suggestion on replacement tires for my S-80 T-6. The factory Michelin Pilots are getting to the end of their useful life at about 30K. They are okay but I was looking for any suggestions on better handling/wear/ride. I do a good mix of city and highway driving. Since I am not on the Autobahn, I do not think a Z rated tire is necessary. Also, the upgraded Michelin's appear a little pricey. Also, my 30K service is approaching and I think we all know that is an expensive one. Any suggestions from you all knowledgeable ones would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
  • Options
    cacamiocacamio Member Posts: 8
    Thanks for the tips. We did get the car to a shop recommended by my Volvo dealership. This place has been repairing Volvos since the mid-1980s. In fact, I did recall having my '82 DL (my first Volvo) in there many years ago. Insurance is taking witness statements now and things look good about proving this was the Suburban's fault. I will post when I get the car back - I miss it a lot!!!
  • Options
    metmdxmetmdx Member Posts: 270
    I am looking for an S60 board and don't see it. Is it time for me to go to the optometrist? Please point me in the right direction.
    Thanks !
  • Options
    Here is a link to The new Volvo S60 sedan discussion.

Pat
    Host
  • Options
    plumber9plumber9 Member Posts: 1
    my s-80 ia approaching 30000 miles and I wonder if anyone has changed the engine air filter and cabin air filter themselves. How hard a job? Where did you buy the filters? Also how long should the brake pads last with mostly highway driving?
  • Options
    doctordickdoctordick Member Posts: 36
    Query re: air cabin filter change. Filter is under dash on passenger side. I've had it changed twice and it looks like a contortionists job. I had my service persons do it.

I have over 36k miles and will need pads at next oil change i.e. 40K. But I'm easy on brakes.

Incidentally, I had a fellow come up to me in my bank parking lot asking about the vehicle. He'd been put off by all the complaints on various web sites. I told hime--and anyone else too---that the car I have, a 99 T6 is the best car I've ever had. Sure, there have been problems, but since I didn't get a bad transmission, the front bushings and air mass replacements were nothing compared to some I've had in the past. Love the car.
    Will think about replacing it in a few years with another 40-60K on it.
  • Options
    janderson6janderson6 Member Posts: 3
    I am looking at getting either a new volvo s-60 or a used volvo s-80 t-6 with 12000 miles. The S-60 will rum be about $32K with all of the option. Whereas the 2000 S-80 T-6 will run me about $34,500. Which one is the better buy and why.

Also, I looked at some crach results which said that the 2000 S-80 had some type of problem regarding their airbags in a low speed crash test. Has anyone had this type of problem?
  • Options
    shellzshellz Member Posts: 51
    Hmmm, you have a tough choice. At 12,000 miles, I'd say that most of the S80s problems have probably been worked out. The S80's a comfortable, fast, big car; I love riding in it, but it's not my favorite car to drive. I think your choice depends on your priorities. If you want a big, comfortable, fast (0-60 in 6.6 seconds) then get the S80. I don't know which S60 you're talking about, but it sounds like a base 2.4 or maybe a 2.4t, anyhow, the S80 is faster off the line, but: I would get the S60 if you want a driver's car. The S60 is comfortable just like the S80 too, and it has virtually the same interior, just downsized a little bit, but the S60 drives more nimble and handles better, that's why it's compared to the BMW 3 Series, Audi A4, etc.
    So I guess what I'm saying is, that if you want a big car get the S80, the back seat is huge, but if you don't need the size, then get the S60.

As for the Volvo safety issue, I think I know what you're talking about. I don't remember if Volvo did a recall for that or not, but I do not that starting for 01 S80s all airbags are dual stage, meaning softer impact. Additionally, the Volvo S80 is the safest passenger sedan in the world with five star crash ratings all around.

Happy shopping, Shellz