Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Welcome to the Edmunds forums! We are changing the way you sign into our forums. Click here to learn more.

Volvo S80

Comments

• The problem you describe sounds exactly like a similar experience of mine with the sub-frame bushing. A relatively easy fix, I've lost track of the specifics, but I think I had a 3rd generation bushing replaced at about 3000 miles and have had no hint of any noise since, although I think this didn't work for everyone. I think they are now on to a 4th generation bushing fix which has had even better results.
    Regarding the ball-joint, I have to plead ignorance. I was under the impression that this problem would manifest itself in terms of a steering feel (looseness) rather than noise, but don't know for sure.
    I do know that what you describe sounds exactly like mine, especially if the pop seems to be coming from underneath your left foot position.
    Hope this helps
    Mark
  • The problem you described sounds like the subframe bushing(s). I currently have the same problem with my 1999 S80 with only 2,000 miles on it. The latest series bushings and o-rings DID NOT eliminate the noise problem. The VCNA representative road-tested the vehicle with me and concluded that the noise is still present and that Volvo IS UNABLE TO DO ANYTHING TO CORRECT THE SITUATION. I have requested that VCNA buy-back the vehicle, since it cannot be repaired.

The clunking/popping noise is unacceptable in a car in this price range. I have sent two registered letters to VCNA's new president and CEO, Mark R. LaNeve, which surprisingly, remain unanswered. As others have mentioned in this forum, VCNA's handling of this matter has been most unprofessional. I am surprised by Volvo's total lack of concern for the customer. Volvo needs to do what is right and repurchase or replace cars that they cannot repair. Perhaps the head of Ford's Premier Automotive Group, Dr. Wolfgang Reitzle, would be interested in the the goings-on at Volvo?

Below is a Reuters article that spells out what Reitzle is trying to accomplish with the Premier Automotive group:

Ford to Focus on Luxury Car 'Perfection'

7.55 a.m. ET (1155 GMT) May 26, 1999

DEARBORN — Wolfgang Reitzle, the new head of luxury vehicles at Ford Motor Co., said Tuesday he wanted to create an "obsession for perfection" in the world's No. 2 automaker's four luxury brands.

Reitzle, in his first remarks to U.S. securities analysts and investors since joining Ford in March, said he planned to keep the product and market identities of Lincoln, Jaguar, Volvo and Aston Martin distinct while using common parts among vehicle platforms to hold costs down.

Reitzle, former product development chief of German automaker BMW AG, is group vice president of the newly created Premier Automotive Group. He is one of several high-profile executives brought in to Ford since Jac Nasser took over as chief executive officer Jan. 1.

Nasser has said Ford wants to expand its sales of luxury cars and trucks worldwide to hit 1 million units sometime after 2000. Ford, which purchased the Volvo AB car unit in March, expects to have luxury unit sales of 750,000 by 2000. It had sales of 250,000 in 1998.

Reitzle said he wanted to inject a combination of emotion and engineering skill into all of Ford's luxury brands, creating vehicles that customers immediately recognized as Lincolns or Jaguars, for example. At the same time, he said, building the brands requires continuity and consistency, qualities that allowed BMW to become a dominant player in the luxury segment.

"We will focus on perfection," he said.

In my opinion, the "focus on perfection" regrettably doesn't exist at Volvo.

jmaze, I hope you have better luck than I have had.

Sincerely,

disappointed4
  • I received my 2000.2 NAV CD a couple of weeks ago too. I'm glad I'm not the only one who picks up on subtleties! I thought new Mr. Navigators's voice was clearer (less crackly) and a little more abrupt (talks faster, like you said, Phil). He's not quite as nice and calming as old Mr. Navigator. Now what about a Mrs. Navigator...?
  • rollierollie Posts: 337
    Regarding post #352:

doubf2, it's definitely not you. I've got the most recent release in our S80 and the prior release in our V70 and the differences are just as was described here. My wife noticed it first. The newer version can be much more abrupt. I don't mind more terse instructions but it seems like I get less warning of upcoming turns as well.

I too would welcome a female voice although my wife would probably tell you that I wouldn't hear it!

Oh well.

Thanks.

-rdo
    [email protected]
  • I just brought my Volvo S80 2.9 in for the 22.5k service at 19990 miles today. At the same time, I requested that both the ball joint(recall) and the clunking problem be fixed altogether. I've had clunking noise at the very beginning of the ownership(I bought my vehicle in March 99) but it has been very minimal, happening only when I make an abrupt tilting turn, something that I rarely do during normal driving. I've discussed with my service manager at Lawrence Volvo(Walnut Creek, CA) couple of times about the ball joint and we decided to get them done all at the same time. I drove the S80 for about 30 miles after the service and didn't notice any clunking at all, I attempted making turns which usually lead to those noise but I couldn't hear any today. I will do more extensive tests tomorrow but at the time being, I would consider the problem resolved.

This is the 4th Volvo in my family, from the 240, through the 850, 940T to this completely new era of S80, I have to admit that Volvo does not make perfect car, nor does any car manufacturer in the world. VCNA's indifferent response seems to be the cause of grieve to most of the existing or ex-S80 owners here but very luckily my experience has been almost all positive. I am a Mechanical Engineer myself and I certainly can understand that mechanical device have design flaws and sometimes experience unexpected failures, the key to success is to rectify the problems in a timely and professional fashion and to make changes so that the same problem does not occur twice.

I am very happy with my Volvo and after driving a BMW, MB and Audi, I feel that I've made the right choice. Whatever you've got, enjoy the fun of driving!
  • jq3jq3 Posts: 52
    I am considering the purchasing a S80. What should I be concerned about before purchasing? The car is a '00 and has ~35.5K on the odo, should I be concerned with this many miles on the odo? I don't think it's "Certified", and if they don't feel it's certifiable, why should I purchase it? The car is on a Volvo dealership's lot.

All opinions are welcomed, in fact, I'd like to have an array of opinions. I've never owned a Volvo before.

Thaxs, Guys/Gals!!
  • fwjfwj Posts: 6
    Side note: Thanks broeux for the reply #305 on my mileage question. I still can't get anywhere near what you get.

My Question:
    I plan on getting non-metalic Madico tinting on all but the front window next week. I just wanted to check once more to see if anyone has had ANY radio reception problems with non-metalic tinting (because I REALLY enjoy the reception I'm getting now).

Thanks,
    fwj
  • thundermist

I had a similar experience. When I ordered my S80 T6 and left a deposit, the cold weather package was a standard feature. Nevertheless, I had the salesman specifically list the cold weather package in the list of options included in the negotiated purchase price. By the time I made full payment and/or picked up the S80, the cold weather package had become an option. When I picked up the car, the dealership had already warmed it up; it was a very cold day. I didn't notice the lack of the cold weather package until after stopping for lunch. This really up a damper on the joy I was experiencing upon picking up my first luxury car.

I immediately called the dealer. I was told that the cold weather package was now an option and I had not paid for it, and the salesman had not included that feature when placing the order. My response was that the cold weather package was included in the negotiated purchase price as evidenced by my invoice.The dealership and the national headquarters blamed each other. It took about a month and several rounds of letter-writing including a veiled threat of instituting legal proceedings, before I received satisfaction. I agreed to an upgraded stereo in lieu of the cold weather package.

Bottomline, if your option was explicitly listed on your invoice, you should ultimately prevail. You may want to check your state's law, but as I understand NY's law, the failure to deliver what you paid for is fraud. A veiled threat to bring the matter to the attention of the local consumers affairs office may go a long way.

Other than that, I have been very satisfied with my T6 and luckily have not experienced any of the problems described on this site.

Good luck.
  • My husband and I have just purchased a Volvo S-80, metallic platinum green, and we are picking it up in Gotenborg on November 3. I've read with interest the postings of Broeux and OSD on their trips and appreciated knowing that their experience was good. Because we are traveling in November, we are choosing to go south to Denmark and cross the new bridge to Copenhagen. We are staying at the BW Elite Plaza on 11/2 and was glad to hear that OSD liked it. On the night we return to Gotenborg to fly out in the am on 11/7, which hotel is best to say at -- it sounded like Broeus stayed at the SAS, would you recommend that. Also, if OSD (or anyoneelse) has any hotel ideas or "must sees" on the route to/from Copenhagen, please let me know. We can't wait for our trip -- just hope this gas "crisis" in England and Brussels doesn't affect petrol in Sweden and Denmark in November!
  • scottc3scottc3 Posts: 137
    Here's what my dealer wrote me..

I believe the recall is on early vin numbers from 1999 model cars.

I will have (Name) the volvo service manager give you a call or you can check with your service advisor. Call me at xxx-xxx-xxxx if you can't get through.

My question is this.. does anyone know if the recall applies to 2000 models also.. I have a 2000 T6.

Thanks

Scott
  • I am so glad I got rid of my S80.
    I had it for 6 months and I only took it to
    the shop for 7 times.
    Some problems can not be fixed by the dealer.

Steve Olson, California
  • Congrats!

You will enjoy the OSD program. The Elite Plaza is a great hotel. My wife and I stayed there the night we picked up the car(on Volvo) and the night before we flew out. They have a very good breakfast too. The airport is a good ways from the city, so I am not sure that staying at a different hotel will save you much time.

We went straight to Copenhagen, so cannot comment on a good place to stop. Be sure you get a hotel in Copenhagen that has parking! Many hotels in the city center do not have them, and the ones that do have small spaces. The S80 is almost too big for some of them.

Have a great trip.
  • The recall is for 99 and 00 models. Call VCNA with your VIN and they will punch it in and tell you if you are part of the recall. Some earlier posts have included the newspaper articles on this. They all say 99 and 00 S80s and some early 2001 V70s.

I would like the folks who will pick up their new s80 osd in Nov. to tell us if they got any discounts in addition to the standard OSD price break. I got a $500 coupon discount when I got mine in Oct. 99. Thanks.

Javasea
  • I have a 2000 S-80, T-6 which I purchased in November 1999. I haven't received my recall notice yet, but my dealer called to say he had the parts and wanted to get started. He finished the job in fifty minutes, including a car wash.
  • Hi!
    I also use Volvo of Richardson. My car was in last week (picked up on the 8th) and when I asked them about the recall they replied that they didn't have much info. on it yet. When did you talk to them?
    Thaks!
  • I am very close (most likely tomorrow (Saturday))to buying a 2000 2.9, but I am faced with a choice of a new car and a service loaner with about 7,000 miles. The service loaner has the cold and warm weather packages and the premium sound system with 4-cd changer. Price difference is negligible. Any thoughts on whether the additional amenities on the service loaner would make up for the miles already on the car? I currently drive an Expedition, and I love having a six-cd changer in the console.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
  • I looked a a new '00 S70 vs a loaner S70 and was told by the dealer that Volvo gives the dealership approx. $1 per mile up to $6000 toward the loaners. The dealer has the option as to whether they want to pass the savings on to the customer. I was also told that Volvo might change that policy down the line. When all was said and done, a new, un-driven car cost me an additional $1600. At least I knew that I would have a full warranty and would be the one to break in the engine. I was able to negotiate a few free options/accessories on the new car because it was more beneficial for the dealer to sell a new car vs getting rid of a loaner. Hope this helps. Good luck.
  • Thanks for the info. I'm headed off to the dealer in a couple of hours to see if I can't get a few more dollars off the price. I had one question about your post, however. I may be naive, but why is it more beneficial to the dealer to sell a new car vs. selling a loaner? Is it just that the dealer is able to charge more for a new car? If so, it would seem that the $1 per mile reimbursement would go a long way towards making up for any difference. I'd love to hear from you if your online this morning. Thanks again for the help.
  • jarchjarch Posts: 16
    Rollie and dougf2 - you wrote:

"I received my 2000.2 NAV CD a couple of weeks ago
    too..."

What is the 2000.2 NAV CD? I have a Nav System and have not received any updates from NavTech or Volvo... did you get this for free from Volvo or did you guys have to pay for a new CD from NavTech?
  • Page, I am not sure there are any good hotels out in the area of Landvetter Airport. I think the better places, maybe the only ones, are in Göteborg. The first night there we stayed, at Volvo expense, at the SAS Scandinavia, across from the rail station--a very fine hotel, that may still be listed in some guides as a Sheraton. The buffet breakfast there was superb, the best we encountered in our travels. Just call Radisson's U.S. toll-free number for information.

After touring southern Sweden and up to Stockholm and back down to Göteborg by way of Jönköping, we chose the Radisson SAS Park Avenue for our last night, just to see a different part of the city. It was nice but not as luxurious as the Scandinavia.

The trip from any of the good hotels to Landvetter will take about 30 minutes, assuming no unforseen problems--moderate or possibly heavy snow (improbable) is not likely to be a "problem," as all the taxis and "limos" around town are Volvos, many S80's, with traction control and experienced drivers. (If you get in a silver S80 2.9 driven by a guy who migrated from Turkey, is driving like Mario Andreti and talking about how he wishes he had a T6, give an extra tug on the seatbelt and brace yourself for an "interesting" ride!)

Our flight out the next morning was about 6:30 AM, and to be on the safe side we had the hotel arrange a taxi pick-up at 4 AM--we wanted time to turn in our tax-free vouchers for a refund (as it turned out, the refund counter wasn't even open until 6:00, and we felt a bit rushed to get to the gate for departure).

Note: Volvo told us they provide 2 ground transports: from airport, then back to the airport. In fact, we had them take us from the airport to the Scandinavia; the next morning we called them to take us from hotel to factory; and on dropping the car off, they took us to the Park Ave. We could have had them take us to the airport for the flight out, I think, but we felt we should not risk them getting a driver to our hotel at that hour and to the airport on time. We had the hotel arrange for a taxi (driven by a Hungarian, very pleasant and spoke excellent English). There was a light snow on the way to the airport. Got there at 4:30, had a light breakfast, waited over an hour for the departure. But, better early than late.

Generally the weather from Gothenburg south should not be too cold or snowy in early Nov., though one never knows. We drove all day in light to moderate snow from Växjö to Kalmar in mid-Nov.--with numerous side trips on back roads along the way--but the DSTC kicked in instantly every time the car began to slide the least, and put us readily back on course. And we also drove in snow from Jönköping back to Göteborg.

Well, I could go on, but at the risk of boring everyone else here. If you have any other questions I can help you with, feel free to email me at [email protected]

Broeux
  • When I was on the fence between the new car and the loaner, I asked the general sales manager which car would look better for the dealership. His comment was that the new car would go down as a new sale, where the loaner had already gone on the books as a loaner. It looked better for the dealership to sell a new car. Since both he and the saleman had worked w/me for quite a while, I had no reason to doubt what he said. He also told me that the saleman made more $$ w/the loaner car sales. Hope this helps.
  • When we drove from Goteborg to Copenhagen, we took the ferry across at Helsingor, then came back across the new Oresund crossing. The view from the ferry of "Hamlet's castle" was great. We stopped at the Louisiana museum on the drive down the Oresund coast in Denmark - one of the world's great modern art museums, both as a facility and as a collection. The drive down the coast of Denmark was beautiful if slow.
  • Jarch:

My understanding is everyone who buys the NAV system (whether it be pre-installed or installed by the dealer) is entitled to 1 future upgrade CD. This CD is sent to you automatically (they know who you are) when the revision is ready or at least 6 months after your purchase date (so you are not replacing a CD you just got).
  • Somebody a while back suggested a product to treat the exterior black moldings. If memory serves, I believe it is intended for boating, but works great on cars as well. Any idea what the name of the product is? Also, anybody know of a web site where I could pick it up?
  • It was a long time ago, but someone suggested using "peanut butter" to treat the moldings. Several people reported doing this with good results. I have not tried this myself, but I guess it couldn't hurt to try it. I imagine that smooth would work better than extra crunchy.
  • rayainswrayainsw Posts: 2,975
    All -

Last Summer I contacted ipd via e-mail regarding availability of an ECU replacement for the T6. They said they expected to have one last Fall. Most recent ipd catalog (arrived a week or so ago) showed no sign of such a product. Anyone been in contact with ipd more recently regarding this item? Anyone purchased and installed one? Worth the $$s?

Also, anyone have an ipd exhaust on their t6? If so, how is the noise "quality"?

Thanks,
    - Ray
    Whose first Volvo was a B18 PV544.....
    2016 BMW 340i
  • rollierollie Posts: 337
    Regarding post #377:

bucky1, I know for a fact that I've parroted this here in the past. I first read it from another post either here or on the BrickBoard.

Regardless, the missing step here is that you need to heat the peanut butter up in a microwave. The hot peanut butter melts the wax in the pits of the molding. Come to think of it this might make a good midnight project for me Since I usually got to bed very late, I went out around midnight and attacked the T6 in the garage with Lexol (the short story is I was disgusted after seeing that the Mrs. let our 4 year old leave crayons in the back seat which melted in the sun!)

As long as I keep the garage door closed the only people who will know I'm weird are the rest of you!

Thanks.

-rdo
    [email protected]
  • Wow Steve! I'm about to sign the papers on my new S80 2.9 this Friday!!!!! Why was this the worst vehicle you ever purchased! I'll be using it for travel between two cities here in Texas and really need a reliable car. I've contacted the dealer about the recent recall in hopes they will have that fixed by Friday.....but after reading your comments, I'm having second thoughts? Anybody else out there think the same or have you have different results in driving your 2000 model S80's? Someone please give me some advise prior to Friday!
  • To date I am a very proud and satisfied owner of a 2000 S80 2.9 purchased new March 2000. I haven't had the least bit of trouble with the vehicle or an ounce of regret for purchasing my "dream car". I have had people stop me in traffic and in parking lots to comment on my beautiful car (black w/ arakkis). My experience so far with ALL aspects of Volvo (service, the service dept. staff, reputation and my overall satisfaction) has been excellent. I would recommend you go on with your plans and pick up your new vehicle Friday. And if you are like me, you will enjoy every minute of driving the S80.
  • slymark,

See Post #351 for a summary of the problems I've had with my '99 S80 2.9. It may change your mind about your purchase!

Sincerely,

Dissatisfied S80 Owner