Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Volvo S80

Comments

• Options
    jeljel Member Posts: 2
    This is my second Volvo. First one an 850 GLT
    with 130K+ miles now... still runs great.
    Bought the '99 S80 with all the hopes in the world
    that it would be as reliable. To date, this is
    what I have experienced:
    -Various bulbs blow all of the time at
    least every two months I am at the
    dealership getting new ones.
    -Bushing replaced (per notification).
    -THE BIG ONE. I am high mileage driver
    54K miles as of this date, recently
    had to go in for valves knocking
    severely. At first my service rep
    advised I put synthetic motor oil
    in to see if it would stop knocking.
    Didn't feel comfortable with that answer,
    they did the 52K mile check-up and found
    a gasket around the hydraulic lifters
    allowing air to get in with no oil
    getting to the lifters! They also
    found a leak around the axle o-ring
    gasket. All was repaired for around
    $2000.00, Volvo picked up all but $600.00
    because I was so close to my warranty
    just having expired.
    I am now afraid to keep my S80. Once an engine
    has been opened up all bets are off in my
    opinion and the next big repair is on me due to
    no warranty.

Has anyone else experienced any major problems?

I am trading for a Lexus or ???? Any suggestions?

A Former Volvo Loyalist
  • Options
    tennbergtennberg Member Posts: 45
    jsm7,

I, too, concur with rollie. I am currently leasing my S80 2.9 for 39 months at $499 a month, with about $1500-$2000 down (I believe). I was able to get some credit for having a good credit report, and a few other dealer rebates.
    One question, though, that I would like to ask everyone is a problem that my car will be going into the shop for this Friday. This is the 4th time for this problem, and there seems to be no end. Basically, the door locks refuse to unlock while I am driving when I use the door lock button. Pressing the button several times only "locks" them further. The sound it makes is that of it locking, or tyring to lock it, again. If I use the door unlock button on the key fob, the doors unlock while I am inside the car. Then, the problem is gone. But, it is gone for only a few minutes. In addition, the doors will lock/unlock randomly while driving, etc. The dealer I go to, Boston Volvo Village, has only one solution: re-download the door lock software.
    I am thinking of raising a stink about this with VCNA. It is getting to be ridiculous. Please let me know if you have had this problem, or how to go about raising an issue with VCNA.

Michael
  • Options
    bvp2bvp2 Member Posts: 3
    I have 2000T6, January 2000 Build date. Over the past 2 months I noticed (independent of each other) both the Dolly static noise and the steering click during acceleration. While in for 7,500 mile service last week, I mentioned both to the service manager at my local dealer. At drop off, he indicated that they had no first hand experience with either item. He called within a couple of hours, saying that the steering wheel clicks were documented and were due to the use of dissimilar materials in parts of the steering column, which resulted in slight expansion/contraction, thereby creating the noise. He indicated there was no prescribed "fix" from Volvo, but lubrication was reported to help the problem. He also mentioned, that after reading about the problem, he realized it occurs on the 2001 S80 he has been driving. The Volvo regional re was due in the area within a couple of days, and he would inquire further and get back to me. Regarding the dolly static, they could not replicate it , but would check with the re on it as well. He called back 3 days later saying that they would replace the intermediate portion of the steering column with a new one that has been re-designed to eliminate the problem and replace the radio/ad-changer with a ewer model.

I am having both done the week after next and will post a follow up. The steering column "fix" makes me a little nervous, as the problem on my car is very intermittent and slight, and the fix is apparently new (and a first for this dealer). I have had the recall done, and the -ring replaced, but no other problems with the car. I think it's a great car and enjoy it each and every time I get in it.
  • Options
    twindytwindy Member Posts: 18
    Just had mine click/clunk fixed. The first time I brought it in (for the 0-ring) they couldn't duplicate the steering clunk. I didn't experience it for about 3 days after the 0-ring fix. Then it returned. During the 7,500 mile work, they were able to duplicate it and replaced the column. So far, so good (I hope!). Also the stereo cd's (4 cd player) skips and won't play the cds after about 3 to 4 hours of play on a trip. They didn't want to replace it since they were unable to duplicate it. Wanted to keep the car another day, leave the stereo playing another 4plus hours in their garage and try to duplicate the problem. Apparently, VNA won't reimburse them for replacements if VNA can't duplicate the problem. I had a real problem with them keeping my car another day to let it run for hours in their garage. I called VNA and explained the problem. I also asked them why would I want the stereo replaced if there wasn't a problem? Was told a rep would look into it and get back with me in one to five days. The next day my dealership called and said that VNA had approved the switch. So........I was happy with that. They will do it next week. Good luck bvp2 with your steering column. Several have had it so I think they can fix yours.
  • Options
    mgddmgdd Member Posts: 1
    My wife and I have a 2001 S80 2.9 that is about 5 months old. We love the car, but since the car has had about 800 miles on it, I have noticed what I presume is the steering column click, or clunk. I notice it frequently when accelerating from a stop and rarely while stopping. It feels as if something is shifting in the steering column. It is more annoying than anything else. The car handles great. I spoke with the dealership and they assured me that the problem has been fixed for the 2001 models, but I remain skeptical.

Is this the same thing that other people have noticed with the steering column problem?
  • Options
    bvp2bvp2 Member Posts: 3
    As posted in #554, I had the intermediate steering shaft replaced yesterday on my 2000T6. The click/clunk is gone and the steering seems tighter and more responsive. Will see how it holds up over time. As for MGDD (post 566), I would emphatically question being told that this problem has been fixed in the 2001 models. As I mentioned in the previous post, the service manager at the Broomfield, CO dealer that did my car's repair told me he noticed it in the 2001 S80 he is driving. As has been mentioned many times in this forum, the key to any car experience is the quality of your dealer in listening to/ and working with your concerns. So far, the one I'm working with has only added to the pleasure of having this car.
  • Options
    chico9chico9 Member Posts: 2
    I experienced this same problem with my 2000 S80T-6. The problem is in the intermediate steering shaft which is about 1 foot long. It connects between the steering column and the steering drive rack. Both ends of this shaft have a spline with one of them made out of nylon or some other composite plastic material. This part of the shaft tends to bind into the mating part which it fits into thus producing the "click" or feeling of movement. Replacing the shaft is a good idea. However, in my case the area Volvo technical expert modified mine by lightly sanding the plastic spline until it was a perfect slip fit. After lubricating the nylon spline and reinstalling it the problem has been gone for the past 15K miles. It would appear that replacing the shaft is a better overall approach but I am entirely confident in what was done on my car.

My 2000 S80 has 34K miles and I love the car. It is a joy to drive and is clearly the best of the many autos I have purchased. No car is perfect and I get frustrated in reading some of the posts. I have found that developing a good relationship with the service department at your dealership is key to getting through these new car failures. If you act like a jerk and get overbearing it's all over. Far better to maintain a reasoned and balanced approach. I have yet to purchase perfection in any car I have owned. My goal for this car is at least 200K miles.

On another point, I see a lot of posts about going through bulbs often. I have replaced 2 headlight bulbs but am convinced that it is due to the fact that I have the headlight switch set to turn the lights on whenever the car is running. Seems natural to me that one may have to replace bulbs more often with all of those ON and OFF cycles which the bulbs see. This is a small price to pay for the added safety of running with your headlamps on at all times.
  • Options
    jkerrigan1jkerrigan1 Member Posts: 1
    Anyone's T-6 cutting out at low speeds and PM's when the engine accelerates and de-accelerates? Its very intermittent--I'll occasionally accelerate at 5-10 MPH (while parking, pulling into the gas pump, etc.) and once the engine be-accelerates, it sometimes cuts out. Will start right back up again???

Also, is the front end noise when accelerating that others are experiencing more of a "squeek" (like a rusty hinge) coming from the steering column?
  • Options
    twindytwindy Member Posts: 18
    My steering problem was a definite click/clunk that I felt in the wheel during acceleration. The posts I have read on this problem described it the same way. I never heard a squeek. Hope htis helps.
  • Options
    birdseed1birdseed1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1999 S80 with 30K miles and a $9200.00 tale of woe. If you look under the right front of the car, about 18" or so from the front you will see a small sort of rectangular pipe protruding downward about 1-11/2". It comes thou a steel plate that appears to serve as a shield to protect the undersurface of the engine. So much for setting the scene. Six weeks ago with no forewarning the car would not start. After 2 days at the dealers I was told that I had damaged the fresh air breather pipe, forcing it into the serpentine belt which in turn frayed, got into and broke the timing belt, or chain, which led to a ruined engine. I was told that I had damaged this pipe by bottoming-out the car or running over something that hit this pipe. Neither of which I did. What I did do on more than one occasion, was scrape the front end on a high curb when parking perpendicular to the curb. Maybe I am a lousy driver, but I've done this at least a hundred times in my 43 yr. of driving. I am sure there was no more serious trauma to the car. After another week of no word on the repair, I was informed that the VAN technical rep had determined the damage was my fault and I would be responsible for the cost of the repair. The original estimate was $10,067 and the final cost was $9200. I am not an engineer, nor even mechanically inclined, but I strongly feel that this is a serious design and engineering flaw and, therefore, Volvo,s responsibility. I write about this for two reasons: {1} have any of you had a similar problem or am I an aberration? and {2} to warn everyone of the risk of doing severe damage to your car by doing something we all do and has always been innocuous in the past with all the other vehicles I have owned. I would appreciate any andall feedback. Sign me as angry and frustrated. JRW
  • Options
    jmsdjmsd Member Posts: 1
    I would like to thank everyone who has posted a message on this site. As I referenced this site repeatedly before buying my 2001 s80 2.9. It appears that the 2.9 had fewer reliability problems than the T6. I am very happy to report that I have not had one single problem to date since I purchased the car 2 months ago. I have received many compliments on the cars looks. This car is roomier & much more comfortable than the BMW 5 series not to mention about 8k less. My wife and I both came to the conclusion that the volvo's ride quality was much more comfortable than the Mercedes E-Class. I hope this car is as good to us as our '90 240 which we had trouble free for 10 years. I highly recommend this car. Volvo truly spends the money where it counts (safety!).

Does anyone know of any dash kits that replace the standard synthetic with a more natural looking wood?
  • Options
    evilpancakewomevilpancakewom Member Posts: 35
    Does anybody know where I can buy an Volvo S80 poster?
    Thanks
  • Options
    mikes22mikes22 Member Posts: 1
    I am considering acquiring a 2001 S80 and am concerned as to whether Volvo has cured the problems encountered with the 2000. Also I would appreciate any information on current leasing deals on S80 with cold weather pkg and DSTC
  • Options
    chico9chico9 Member Posts: 2
    I have never seen this particular situation posted on this web site in the past 1-1/2 years I have been monitoring it. I think that you have a legitimate gripe with Volvo and the dealer. It seems to me that the pipe should be better protected if damage to it can cause such further catastrophic damage to the engine. I have seen and have wondered about that pipe because it does just stick out in the open. Thanks so much for making this known as it is something which we should all watch. Sorry that you had to learn about it this way. Good luck in your efforts to get some compensation from Volvo. I think that you have to find the right avenue through which to address this as I agree with you that it's an easy thing to do when parking the car. I can see this pipe getting easily damaged if you hit some major trash on the roadway although it would appear that a sideways hit will be benign versus forcing the pipe upward toward the engine. As an aside I have always tried to be extremely careful when pulling up to those concrete bumpers in parking spaces to avoid damage to the plastic cladding on the front of most cars. It would appear that one will have to be vigilant about this with the S80. Let us know if you have any success in getting some relief from Volvo.
  • Options
    johanssonjohansson Member Posts: 1
    I am seriously considering purchasing an S80. I live in North Jersey, and have access to about a half dozen dealerships, none of which is super close to home. Does anyone know of a website that rates service departments? Or, does anyone have specific positive or negative comments on any of the service departments? Reliability and service are a bit more important than a few bucks in the purchase price.
    You can reply to either this message center, or directly to me at johansson@aol.com
    Any feedback will be greatly appreciated.
  • Options
    trip7trip7 Member Posts: 5
    After several frustrating bulb replacements for both my S70 and S80, my service department told me that the problem lies not with the bulbs but with the wiring harness. Apparently, Hyundai uses the same bulbs and has no reported premature bulb failures. Has anyone else heard this? It sounded good to me.
  • Options
    fastline486fastline486 Member Posts: 20
    It's been a while since I've posted here. Well, I have a 2000(jan. 8) S80-T6 w/ 4,238 miles as of today. Thats nothing. I have had too many problems with this car. The bushing, sunroof, steering column, windows, headlight, sidemarker.....etc....... These are just some of the problems I have on a car w/ 4,238 miles. This is my second Volvo and I thought I could trust Volvo.

Well, I am in the process of returning/refunding my S80. WHAT I NEED IS PEOPLE'S SUPPORT BY TELLING ME THEIR NAMES/ EMAIL ADDDRESS/ PHONE NUMBER,(..ETC) WHO HAS BEEN ABLE TO RETURN THEIR CAR. I want to do the same. As much feedback would be appriciated.

PLEASE HELP............ASAP
    Thanks
    Jackson/fastline486 (email at bobert486@hotmail.com )
  • Options
    revitupster1revitupster1 Member Posts: 1
    I now have 2200 miles on my 2001T6. I have noticed two problems and the service department has asked me to advise them of service bulletins. I can't find them on this board and am wondering if anyone can help.
    1) There is a very distinct click/clunk coming from the gear box whenever I come to a full stop. It seems to be related to the safety device on the Volvo requiring the brake pedal to be fully depressed in order to put the car in gear. If you keep your hand on the gear shift lever, you can feel something shift when you come to a stop. The dealer mentioned something about a solenoid, but this is not normal and is rather annoying.
    2) The car has developed the clicking/creaking sound in the steering wheel when accelerating. Is there a service bulletin for the service manager to read about the problem with the spline?
    I also continue to have intermittent problems with the moisture in the headlights, but they have to see it to believe it.
    I would also add that my experience with Volvo service departments so far have been the same as with Ford or Buick. They are untruthful. But what was I to expect, honesty? Their core value is safety, not telling the truth. It's definetly another example of caveat emptor. I know some will say, "Find another service department." But that's a cop out. Values flow from the top of an organization, and obviously VONA is more concerned about profits. Ford has an incentive to get American customers to purchase American cars, so we should expect to see a deterioration in the reliability and customer sastisfaction in the Volvo line.
  • Options
    snjmike1snjmike1 Member Posts: 3
    When starting off my 2001T6 from ignition through reversing out of driveway and driving forward, I hear what sounds like gear shifting from 1st to 2nd during the first 10-20 mph. This noticeable pulsing/click noise is absent if starting off from ignition and driving forward (no reversing). The noise is also absent if not starting from ignition (i.e., just reversing-and-driving while the engine has been running). This may be normal in S80's transmission shifting gears from start. For technical comparison, my neighbor's BMW528i does not have such a noise. Has anyone noticed this S80T6 gear shifting sound?
  • Options
    rollierollie Member Posts: 337
    Regarding post #570:

snjmike1, is it possible you are hearing the ABS self test? This occurs at about 12 miles per hour the first time you hit 12 miles per hour after you start the car. It sounds almost like a scrubbing noise coming out from under the car. Once you've heard it you won't hear again until you start the car again and break the 12 mph barrier. This could be it but you should also hear it if you start up and do into drive without using reverse.

Good luck.

-rdo
    rdollie@home.com
  • Options
    fedakjfedakj Member Posts: 5
    Upon reading the experiences with the S80, I thought I will share some useful information with you. I have had a 2000 S80, 2.9, with all sorts of issues. After the fourth visit to the shop I have shown the service manager a large lemon poster, which was neatly loaded in the trunk.
    After I explained that I will walk the front of the dealership until all the money is refounded, I had my cheque in less than 24 hours. No atterney fees, no court, etc. The cost of the poster $10.00.

John F.
  • Options
    jletkowiczjletkowicz Member Posts: 2
    tennberg,

I too had the unlock problem you mentioned. The problem was intermittent and it took six visits and several replacement parts to correct the problem. It was finally fixed last month by replacing the left rear lock mechanism. Good Luck!
  • Options
    dezbrowndezbrown Member Posts: 1
    I am about to purchase an '01 S80; the comments on this site from satisfied owners have outweighed the negative posts. I have a few questions about the nav system...
    When crossing map areas, which I would often do in my travels, does the map CD switch automatically or must it be switched in some manner? Can the system be read easily during the day? Does it zoom automatically at turns? Is the steering column knob system easy to use? It was impossible to see this system in action, so few cars with it, but I liked the one in the Lexus RX300 I test drove before deciding on the S80 but it is a DVD based system which contains the entire US on a single map. Do those of you with the nav option like it?
  • Options
    jarchjarch Member Posts: 16
    Hi, you asked:

Q: does the map CD switch automatically or must it be switched in some manner?
    A: it switches automatically

Q: Can the system be read easily during the day?
    A: I have a MY 2000 S80 T6 - the answer I'm afraid is no... you have to look very carefully in sunlight conditions to see the display (and you will tend to rely more on voice commands when you are navigating to an unknown location).

Q: Does it zoom automatically at turns?
    A: No.

Q: Is the steering column knob system easy to use?
    A: Yes, very. I also bought the remote unit so the passenger can program it when we need to change nav points while driving (highly recommended option - maybe standard by now).

Q: It was impossible to see this system in action, so few cars with it, but I liked the one in the Lexus RX300 I test drove before deciding on the S80 but it is a DVD based system which contains the entire US on a single map. Do those of you with the nav option like it?
    A: I like it, but the Lexus unit was better I think. I like yourself decided on the merits of the car (S80 T6 in my case) over a GS-300 Lexus. But the NAV system I think was slightly better than the Volvo one. Don't get me wrong, I am very happy with my decision to get the nav system but it can definitely be improved upon...
  • Options
    kjewelkjewel Member Posts: 19
    It isn't your responsibility to get service bulletin numbers for the dealership. It is THEIR responsibility to know what bulletins are out. Since this may be the only way to get service, your only other choice may be to find another dealer.

Otherwise, scroll back through the dozens of posts and you'll likely find others with the same problems.
  • Options
    scottc3scottc3 Member Posts: 137
    I have about 22K miles on my 2000 T6 and am about ready to replace the front breaks. If anyone else has done this, can you explain the procedure to me. I have done breaks way back when, and have pulled off the front wheel.. and it does not look to bad to do.. a "M" shaped spring, the pads... If I do not do this, does anyone know how much the dealer charges to do it? I'm considering having them do it, but if it's a cake-walk, I don't mind a bit of labor on my part.

Thanks for any advise.

Scott
    scottcov@home.com
  • Options
    nfacbladenfacblade Member Posts: 2
    I am an owner of an 2000 S80 2.9, which now is approaching 22.5 K miles with no problem whatsoever. I am considering to forgo my 22.5 K service with Smythe Volvo in the bay area because they want $420 for it. After looking at the recommended maintenance, I don't see anything extraordinary other than oil change and check fluids that would warrant for such a high cost service. Has anyone done oil change at, say Jiffy Lube? Thanks for your comments.
  • Options
    billiam70billiam70 Member Posts: 54
    I don't know if you've already received replies or bought a car yet, but a good friend of mine bought his 99 S80 from Prestige Volvo in East Hanover. I have taken the car in for service there for him (as it's convenient to my job and there isn't a dealer by his) and I have always had a good experience with them. I went with him to purchase the car and the sales experience was good also.

There have been no problems with the S80 and it now has 27,000 miles on it. Only thing is the stereo had to be replaced (cd player skipped badly), the recall done, headlight bulbs replaced (they burnt out), and the "clunking" in the front end repaired (which started after recall done). These are all minor problems and were fixed without any hassle or headaches. All were done at regular service intervals anyway so it wasn't like the car was making an extra trip.

Good Luck!
  • Options
    I have always done my own oil changes. It's very easy. After reviewing the manual, I will only have my breaks checked, and more than likely the pads replaced, by Smythe. Other than this, I'm in the same boat you are... my car runs perfect. I can check my own fluid levels.
  • Options
    doctordickdoctordick Member Posts: 36
    Re: #578. If you don't want high priced dealer service and yet good quality with Volvo experienced mechanics try Exclusively Volvo in downtown SF or Bo Johnson in San Mateo. Both do excellent work, are Volvo trained persons and are much more reasonable priced. Added goody, if you work in SF, Exclusively will give you a free ride to and from your office. Good Luck!
  • Options
    Does anyone know if the S80 has a service manual out? Haynes, or other? A while back there was mention it was not going to happen.. I'd like to get one for reference if so.

Thanks

Scott
  • Options
    anu0anu0 Member Posts: 13
    I was checking out the S80 T6 at the local dealership and noticed the sticker price stated that the transmission source was United States.

Does this mean that Ford after buying Volvo is now stuffing their crappy transmissions in the T6?
  • Options
    pmvipmvi Member Posts: 63
    I'm pretty sure it's a GM. BMW also uses GM auto transmissions.
  • Options
    dgior11dgior11 Member Posts: 1
    anyone had this problem ,S80 T6, 20,000 miles. any ideas on a fix?? bumpy roads make it worse!!just recently started . thanks DG
  • Options
    thundermistthundermist Member Posts: 1
    I have a Nautic Blue 2000 S80/T6 that I am enjoying. I only have one problem. I only drive the car sparingly on weekends. I didn't drive the car (or start it) for two weeks. I took it out and drove for about 5 miles and stopped into a store for about 15 minutes. When I returned, the battery was dead. The messages were gibberish. The dealer had it towed (at their expense) and checked it over and said the battery was dead from lack of use. They gave me a new battery, just in case.

Has anyone ever had this problem? Is this usual? I will be starting it up at least twice a week, but I'm concerned that the battery is being drained somehow.
  • Options
    barberosabarberosa Member Posts: 1
    We're about to close a deal on a '99 T6 with 46K from a dealer here on LI. This will be the 7th Volvo in our car buying experience -- none of them new.

Overall everything about the car appears to be excellent. I've seen all the service records and nothing major (or repeatedly minor) shows up as a red flag. The service records indicate a somewhat compulsive owner who changed the engine oil every 3K. I've taken the car to my local (very experienced) mechanic for a check-over and except for a worn right front inner tie rod end everything is in good shape.

Several questions that the mechanic warned me of are buzzing in my mind.

First, he suggested timing belt changes at 50-60K when the Volvo recommended interval is 105K. This is a "Zero Clearance" engine so a failure can be fairly expensive. So does anyone have enough miles on their vehicles to be able to add some experience to the equation. Should I do this on GP just to protect myself or is it overkill and unwarranted?

Second, he also recommended changing the transmission fluid at 35K intervals. I don't think this even shows up on the service charts at all and I don't think he is trying to generate business for himself. His experience with other "TipTronic" style transmissions is where this comes from.

Third, it has the Nav system and we've found that it is consistently off by .2 miles no matter what direction we travel. For example it tells us to turn .2 mile after the turnoff has been reached. Is this something that can be corrected with a software upgrade or is a new CD required? Can it be fixed at all?
  • Options
    miker10miker10 Member Posts: 5
    jletkowicz & tennberg,

i'm ready to head back for the fifth or sixth
    time (i've lost count) to fix the left rear
    door lock on my 2001 s80 2.9. my problem is a
    bit different: the lock will not function.
    they've replaced the lock mechanism twice. the
    last visit resulted in a replacement of the
    rear electronics module, which fixed the problem
    for about 2 weeks. this afternoon, the lock failed
    again. this is becoming very frustrating.
    if anyone has some advice, i'm all ears!

mike
  • Options
    jlfoxjlfox Member Posts: 14
    I would suggest using a trickle charger on your battery rather than starting it up for short periods of time. The short running times are bad for the engine for a number of reasons. You should hook up the charger to the post under the hood. No need to go to the trunk for that. 4 to 8 hours, once a week will be more than enough.
  • Options
    derekchoyderekchoy Member Posts: 36
    I am shopping for a Bike Rack for my S80 2.9(99 model), and I am wondering if someone can share their experiences with me here.

I called two dealers here and they quote me $140 for the load bar and $120 for a rack that holds one bike. I guess I have to get the load bar from Volvo cos it fits on my S80 but do I have to get Volvo's rack as well? Are there any 3rd party racks that are more economical but just as good and convenient?

Also, is it easy to install and remove the load bar myself?

Thanks a lot!
  • Options
    jletkowiczjletkowicz Member Posts: 2
    Derekchoy - The Thule bike racks fit the Volvo system. I have been using this combination for about 2 years on my 99 S80 with no problems. You can fit up to four bikes (depending on weight). With respect to removing the Volvo rack, it can be done by one person provided the bike racks have been removed first. In my case I leave the racks on the system and have someone help remove the combination. In this way I do not have to remount the bike acks each time. It only takes a few minutes to unscrew the four mounts. I also suggest getting a four key set (from Thule) for the feet to prevent tampering (or a 6 or 8 lock set to if adding locks to the bike racks as well).
  • Options
    neil2212neil2212 Member Posts: 16
    I'm about to move across country, and will have my '00 S80 T6 transported to my new location vs. me actually driving it. Are there any things that need to be done prior to having the trucking company haul it away? I'm concerned that the car bouncing on the transport will continuously set off the alarm. I know that the battery could be disconnected, but then you have to access the car via the trunk key, and then reset computers, etc. Is there an easier way? Has anyone else transported their S80 after they took possession?
  • Options
    I'm about to move to Tucson, AZ and went to the Navtech site to see what their coverage was for that area. To my dismay, Tucson is not covered? Anyone live in Tucson that can tell me how much detail is/isn't provided on the CD-ROMs? Thanks.
  • Options
    Recently I had a driving light lens broken by a rock. It appears the replacement cost is ~ $80. In order to avoid this repair cost in the future, I'd like to apply some sort of cover to these lenses as well as the headlights (which I understand cost ~$300 to replace). I think that I'm looking for a thick clear rubber protector that has adhesive on the back as my first choice. Does anyone know where I can find such an item? Does anyone have ideas for other options? Thanks.
  • Options
    IPD Sells the headlite protectors you described. I have it on two cars including the S80. You must follow their instructions to the letter to do it right. No problems in 3 years with the first car. Wipers just ride on top of it. I did the foglites too using the excess material.
  • Options
    derekchoyderekchoy Member Posts: 36
    jletkowicz - Thanks a lot for your help! So basically all I need to do is to get a load bar from Volvo, then go to an authorized Thule dealer and get a bike holder, right? Is there any specific model of holder that I would need in order to fit the holder onto the load bar? I asked several shops and they all had conflicting answers.

Thanks very much!
  • Options
    vancetvancet Member Posts: 1
    I just picked up my 01 S80 2.9 and I noticed that the car doesn't automatically lock once I'm going 3MPH, or greater. Before I contact the dealership, I'm wondering if anyone has been successful in enabling this feature. Thanks in advance for any insights, this has been a very enlightening forum.
  • Options
    Two IPD sheets are required. This will cover both headlites and foglites. I did not cover the turn signals. They are plastic, and don't present a perpendicular face to the direction of travel. I also believe this product is not flexible enough to conform to that surface.
  • Options
    drmikkidrmikki Member Posts: 3
    Can any of the members of this board direct me to the articles where the instructions regarding turning off the service light in the Volvo S-80 were published or can anyone tell me how to do it
    Thanks in advance
  • Options
    cali30306cali30306 Member Posts: 4
    The 2001 S80 has been out for over 6 months, yet there is little discussion in this forum or the S80 Reliability forum about the 2001 model. Can 2001 S80 owners provide some insight as to whether the reliability of 2001 models has improved over the earlier models? I like everything else about the car and reliability will be the deciding factor. As much input as possible will be highly valued by myself and others considering a 2001 or 2002 purchase.
  • Options
    gerry14gerry14 Member Posts: 12
    RE: #600 Reliabilityof 2001s: Got our 2001, 2.9 around September 5, and have put approximately 14,000 miles on it. So far the only problems we have had include the failure of the fuel door locking mechanism to engage when the doors lock--condition existed on delivery--and the loss of one headlight bulb after six months.