Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Lexus LS 400/LS 430

Comments

• Options
    ron36330ron36330 Member Posts: 69
    I also purchased the Platinum warranties for my Lexus'. I paid $1800.00 each, one for the LS and one for the SC.
    I used the same rationale, just acouple things go wrong out of warranty and you easily can a couple Large.
    In addition I sleep better at night knowing all those devices/motors/computers are covered.
    Ron
  • Options
    paulchiupaulchiu Member Posts: 378
    I hope everyone is ok in the tristate area. We have had no power since 411pm yesterday. Please stay safe.

Paul
  • Options
    vchengvcheng Member Posts: 1,284
    I just received a Lexus mailing highlighting the new 2004 LS430. The pictures have been quoted elsewhere, so I won't bother, but the other features are:

New 6 speed transmission (with same 290 bhp engine) reduces 0-60 time to 5.9 seconds.

Backup camera with navigation system.

SmartStart system.

17 inch wheels standard (18 inch option with Sport suspension).

Satellite Digital Audio Receiver System (SDARS). (No mention whether this is XM or Sirius though).

The interior is pretty much the same, but the AM button below the cassette player now reads AM-SAT, and of course the new transmission gate with a manumatic shift gate. The instrument needles are now white instead of red.

The readout in the dash is now sentence case rather than all capitals (ie Range Approx instead of RANGE APPROX).

I don't know about you guys, but I now have a black 2003 LS UltraLux, but with only 1200 miles on it, so it is going to be agonizing to say the least!
  • Options
    "agony" is not having A/C in the house. The 2004 has only minor changes over the 2003. Don't sweat it!

Just how often do you (or anyone here) do 0-60 in 6.3 seconds anyway.
  • Options
    b4zb4z Member Posts: 3,372
    Just went by me Lexus dealer and they have a stunning diamond white platinum edition 2000 LS400.
    The paint is absolutely perfect.
    The most amazing part is that the car only has 14,000 miles!
    Asking price 34.9K
  • Options
    gteach26gteach26 Member Posts: 576
    paulchiu, and all other northeasterners on this board.. I'm glad you are all okay and that things are quickly returning to normal.. I can only IMAGINE what it's like to get stuck on an elevator or subway for HOURS!! It's amazing how we take things for granted until it gets yanked away.. I'm taking a second right now to count my blessings and appreciate all of the wonderful things in my life and hope you folks do the same.. we truly are blessed and need to be conscious of it more often.

Now, how the heck the ENTIRE northeast could zap out in seconds is beyond me!! If it happens again, I suggest all LS owners go sit your cars and hear that awesome stereo with a/c on high till the lights come back! Ride out the "blackout" in style! :)
  • Options
    wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    I'm here in Memphis where my sister just went through 8 days without power due to the recent windstorm, tornado, etc.

She said she sat there throughout wishing for A/C, clean clothes, and for the cat to stop looking at her as if this was all her fault.

Be well...
  • Options
    ljflxljflx Member Posts: 4,690
    I have a $37 or $38k buyout on my 2001 in January and it will have a full 36k miles on it. Overall it seems like a good deal given only 14k miles. That car is a baby. The 98-2000 cars were fabulous vehicles.

wwest - Were the tires that you said had the quietest road feel on the LS the Potenza all season or the summer ones. Thanks in advance.

Paul - glad your blackout is over. In central NJ most of us completely escaped it. I was driving home when it started and believe it or not the toll booths and EZ Pass lanes worked perfectly in the blackout areas. Luckily my trip was all highway. We had some blinking traffic lights due to minor - very short - outages down here but by and large from Oldbridge NJ south (exit 123 on the parkway) most of NJ never had any interruptions. I do understand they had problems at Six Flags Great Adventure in Jackson though. Couldn't have been fun to have been stranded on one of their tall rides.
  • Options
    anthonycecilanthonycecil Member Posts: 68
    Did you drive to Memphis?? Remember to eat some barbeq. Tony
  • Options
    erad98erad98 Member Posts: 23
    My dealer offers extended service contracts which are "comparable" to the factory contracts but about 1/3 less expensive.

The vehicle does not come with synthetic oil. Apparently one can switch over at the first maintenance visit.

My current cell phone will not be able to be installed by the service department but will require an after-market installation. Although I don't use the cell phone much while driving, it might be nice to have a hands-free capability. I don't really want to spend hundreds of dollars for this feature.

Anyone have thoughts on these issues?
  • Options
    michael_mattoxmichael_mattox Member Posts: 813
    Is the service contract countrywide at any lexus dealer or just good at your dealer.

Is it bumper to bumper.

Will it pay towing and for your hotel room if you are stranded out of town...does it include a loaner (a lexus loaner)

I am sure there are other issues you would need to look at to make sure the contracts are equilivent.
  • Options
    erad98erad98 Member Posts: 23
    This is what my dealer states regading the comparison of their product and the factory product:

"It is honored in all states and pays the repairing dealership with a national credit card-you don't have to pay up front and be reimbursed afterward.The coverage is as extensive as the "platinum warranty" I believe you are referring to;including roadside assistance and towing."

Has anyone bought a dealer extended warranty versus the factory warranty and if so what has been your experience?

Any other comments on synthetic oil and cell phones?

Thanks.
  • Options
    carfan4surecarfan4sure Member Posts: 49
    I'm a happy Lexus owner since 1990, but if they send me another survey to fill out and return I'm going to scream.

On second thought, if they are monitoring this board, then my silence can be bought... One free oil and filter change for every survey question answered...
  • Options
    sv7887sv7887 Member Posts: 351
    carfan,
      I hear your pain. Those surveys are often exhaustive in their line of questioning. However, I think they DO listen. When sales of the LS were slipping (slightly) Lexus went to great pains to contact their owners about the upcoming redesign. The result: The LS430. With the exception of the insipid exterior, they addressed all of my concerns. If only they could bring back the exterior of the Original LS...One can dream..

Cheers,
    SV
  • Options
    tisliztisliz Member Posts: 13
    If my climate controlled seats are as they should be, I am really, really disappointed. I find that they "heat" up in the places where my body touches both the seat and the back. I expected the cushion to feel cool. I don't feel any air movement coming through the perforations. Should I? Lexus checked them out last February (Kansas City) and said all worked fine and that I'd notice a difference in the summer when the A/C was running. I remember a post a year ago last spring or summer noting that the driver could hear a faint hum of the fan for the heater or A/C, but I don't hear anything. What should I be feeling and hearing to know whether or not I have a problem I need to push to get attention on?
  • Options
    Is this the LS430 you're having problems with? I have found that the cooling seats in my new ultra LS430 is not as fast cooling as my S500 either. The only place where I really feel "cooling" is around the thigh area. I don't feel much "cooling" in my shoulders or back. Although it does not get hot, but that could be due to the powerful A/C overall.
  • Options
    I can hear a small fan noise with the seat. On my latest trip, the seat cooling was not working at all. I pressed the button in and out several times, but nothing but the fan. The air is very light, but you can feel it if you place your hand between legs while sitting in the seat. Maybe on extremely hot days it takes a while to work. I find that when it is working, it gets cool enough to feel it fairly quickly, and is not comfortable to leave on for any length of time. Sort of clammy feel. Tony
  • Options
    rennyboschrennybosch Member Posts: 329
    The seat cooling is embarrassingly ineffective on the LS430 UL. The only way you can actually feel a noticeable effect is by getting out of the car for about 5 minutes while leaving the seat cooler on. Then when you come back you can definitely feel it.

I don't mean that it is totally useless; I think it does help keep your back a little cooler. It's just not very noticeable.

Tony - pushing the button in or out does not control anything on the LS430. Only rotating it controls the seat cooling/heating. Pushing it in just improves the appearance.

Renny
  • Options
    On my car, when the radio is off and the main a/c fan is on low (or off), I can hear a slight hum from the seat cooler fans. In fact, I think I can hear two separate fans, from the driver's side and passenger side.

tisliz - If you hear no fan noise, you either have an exceptionally quiet car, or nonoperational fans.
  • Options
    jbianco12jbianco12 Member Posts: 125
    I have an 02 Custom Lux and found the coolers to work pretty well. Last weekend I was driving in 100 plus degree heat through the desert. I thought the seat coolers, combined with the VERY cold A/C, kept the cabin real comfortable. (But to the points made above, the seat coolers and not going to give anyone a frost-bitten butt.) I could feel the coolers working primarily on the seat, with less cooling on the lower back.
    I think I remember reading that the seat coolers have an air filter, so if it gets dirty it may diminish cooling capacity...Perhaps check that out and it will help.
  • Options
    tisliztisliz Member Posts: 13
    The car in question is an 03 Custom LS 430. I just got it January 7 and have just 3100 miles on it so I doubt it is the filters. I'll have to take a listen to see if I can hear the fan. The heater isn't all that swift either. I had expected the seat heaters to be like a Seville, which, when I get in the car frozen to the bone, heats up fast and strong and make you warm and cozy. The Lexus' heaters eventually get warm enough to keep the seat from being cold, but do nothing about warming me up.
  • Options
    In Augusta and Memphis, memphis was best by far.
  • Options
    whybuy1whybuy1 Member Posts: 43
    The UL uses Peltier devices which have the advantage of switching from heating and cooling by just reversing the current. They are never going to be as good as a freon-based refrigerator or a resistive heater. (I understand that a UL owner should not have to concern himself about this.) The cooling is limited by the fact the device dissipates heat as it pumps heat away from the seat. Its limit comes when it dissipates as much heat internally as it can pump. The heating is limited by the melting temperature of the solder used to connect all the pieces together. A spot welded tungsten heating wire does not have this limitation. It will heat up more slowly. Also, there are thin resistive heating strips can be placed just underneath the leather.
      I live in a mild climate in CA, but I occasionally drive in 100F+ temperatures. What I notice most when I am sweaty and get into a hot car that has been parked in the sun is that the coolers dry of the sweat very effectively after 3 minutes or so. The seat feels cool where my body is not touching the seat and comfortable where my body contacts the seat leather.
      This sort of performance is what I expect from Peltier devices in combination with the fan. This is why I believe my seat coolers are performing as the Toyota engineers designed it. Your expectations may be different and I certainly will not question them after you have paid what is costs for a LS UL.
  • Options
    Learn something new everyday!
  • Options
    Did they ever fixed the rattle "noise" inside your doors? As my almost 2 months old LS is beginning to develop some "inside" door noise too. Hard to reproduce it even when "by myself", let alone at the dealers.
  • Options
    I still have the door rattle. I have never been able to reproduce it at the dealer even though it did occur on the way to the dealer. The problem is intermittent. That makes it hard to diagnose. It only occurs when the window is all the way closed. It seems to happen when I am starting out. One consistent symptom that may be related is that I hear a faint rattle (in addition to the hinge noise) when I open that door and shake it hard. This only happens on the same door that rattles when I drive, but this happens with the window open or closed(!).
       I recently went on a 3000 mi. road trip and I verified that the noise usually stops after an hour of driving. Maybe it has something to do with temperature (I am grasping at straws here.)
       I may take the car in to the local Toyota dealer when the problem is happening so I can make sure I can demonstrate the problem to them. I really do not want to have a dealership open the door again without the service techs understanding the problem and a likely solution. I still believe factory quality is better than dealership quality.
       The cause of your rattle is probably different than mine if your symptoms do not match mine exactly. It will be very difficult to fix as long as the problem is intermittent.

Can anyone share their experience with service of their LS at a Toyota dealership?
  • Options
    dbloodhounddbloodhound Member Posts: 2
    I'd like to update my door speakers but am not sure what size to buy? any ideas?
  • Options
    My service guy told me the Lexus Link firmware update will change the message "The Lexus Link is active" to "The Lexus Link is not active", which means the annoyance will last just a little bit longer, so I didn't get the update.

Is he right? I thought someone on this board said they got the update and the message went away (assuming of course that you do not in fact have the Lexus Link subscription).
  • Options
    The update ,,for me,, is just as you said `the lexus link is not active` tony
  • Options
    trmgatrmga Member Posts: 50
    The center air vent on my 03 LS 430 (3,500 miles) is working intermittently. When I select the "on" position on the vent vane swing button the vents automatically swing left and right for about two cycles and then stop. Anyone else had this problem and, if so, how much of an effort was it to correct it? If the dealership can fix it without taking out the whole center panel and screen I'd like to get it fixed but if it's the type of job that may lead to bigger problems when they start removing things then I'll probably live with it since I seldom select the auto swing position.
  • Options
    vchengvcheng Member Posts: 1,284
    ...has a complex program to determine whether the vents should swing. There are two motors for the vents, so if they swing twice and then stop, it is probably because the program has determined that it is not needed (eg no sunlight, single occupant etc).

I have noticed this on occassion on my car too, but I am pretty sure that it is working as designed.

I am sure wwest will write in too, since he has a far greater in depth knowledge of the LS HVAC system than I will ever have.
  • Options
    The latest LS we own, and will EVER own, is a 95.

Not that I wouldn't like to own a new LS430, but the AWD RX300, or the upcoming RX hybrid is just so much more functional for us overall....

And with a stunningly beautiful wimbledon green 2001 911 C4 on the other side of the garage, virtually no use nor need for an LS.
  • Options
    alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned this, so I apologize for possible repetition, but there is a very interesting photo of the possible 2005 LS in the September issue of PM. The vehicle seems to have a high stance, and a very svelte shape. To my eyes, it is vaguely reminiscent of the introductory Giugaro(sp) -styled GS300. The text also mentioned the 4.3L V8 moving to 4.6L and displacing approx. 360hp. I do not believe there was any reference to AWD, though I was only able to glance super quickly. Any thoughts?
    ~alpha
  • Options
    Lexus' official site, and Edmunds as well, show that just about all 2004 models are out except the LS. Has anyone shopping seen the new LS in showrooms yet or asked any sales people when they will be in. It's possible that both the site and Edmunds are ahead of actual dealer inventory. But it does seem the LS will be late to the 2004 party.

alpha01 - I doubt very much that the car depicted is the 2005 or 2006 next generation LS. Perhaps it is the next GS though. But the pictures shown in Autospies of the next gen GS are much sharper and more like the HPX - which I am told may be built as a 2005 model when the next GS comes out (supposedly in spring 2005).
  • Options
    lenscaplenscap Member Posts: 854
    Clublexus.com has new photos of two 2004 LS 430s, one in silver and one in black. Apparently somebody saw the cars in California and the Lexus reps driving them said the guy could take pictures. Both have the five spoke 18" wheels.

My dealer said the LS will be arriving in mid-September, a few weeks after most of the other models. The ES 330s should already be in.

By the way, I called Lexus to inquire about the 2004 LS preview brochure you and others received and they knew nothing about it. I guess you have to own a current LS to have been on the mailing list.
  • Options
    sysweisyswei Member Posts: 1,804
    Somewhere on clublexus is a scanned image from popular mechanics of the alleged 2005 LS. Most people think it is a photochop borrowing from the current GS and ES. I have my doubts that they would do an all-new LS just 1 year after the 2004 refresh. The only reason to do it would be to move more quickly to the "family" styling that is supposed to get started with the GS in spring 2004.
  • Options
    I own a LX and RX and also didn't get a LS brochure.
  • Options
    I think it is only being sent to those owning or leasing an LS. I wonder if they are sending it to those with expiring leases only.
  • Options
    trmgatrmga Member Posts: 50
    Vcheng--thanks for the info. Your comments certainly tie in with what I have experienced since my previous post. Vents seem to stop swinging or swing intermittently at dusk or in darkness when not in hot sun and work just fine during sunny, daytime contitions.
  • Options
    New ads as well as magazine short takes are everywhere now. I notice that the photos have the "new" LS looking more angular, with sharper fronts and backs closer to a Maxima than the other bulbous Lexus, like the GS and ES line.

The new wheels are almost identical to the AMG Mercedes "55" line wheels.
  • Options
    bitkahunabitkahuna Member Posts: 206
    The back seems identical to the previous years, how is it different? The front end is obviously sleeker (looks great).
  • Options
    I had this problem. The passenger side vent stopped moving automatically. It was fixed under warranty. I suspect my passenger tried to adjust it while it was swinging.
  • Options
    Haven't posted here in a couple of months.
    In November I bought a '95 LS 400 on ebay for $9775.
    Had the car shipped to my home.
    I put 1100 miles on it but found the headroom insufficient.

I am in the process of trying to buy a Cadillac SRX and was offered about 7K wholesale.
    Put it in the paper at $9600 seriously undercutting my closest competitor by $1400.
    Sold it Thursday for $8775 and was glad to get it.

The ebay seller had not disclosed the spark knock, high idle, worn hood struts and missing cd magazine.

Overall I am happy with my 3 months of Lexus ownership.
    I now know that it is not the car for me.
    i got lots of compliments on it and it impressed my clients (more than me).
    I will never buy another car with more than 100K on it no matter how well it has been maintained.
    great learning experience that cost about $2200 for 3 months of ownership.
  • Options
    blackls430blackls430 Member Posts: 2
    The back end had a minor change. The lens has now a complete clear line instead of clear then yellow. Also look at the bottome of the bumber. The exhaust pipes are now exposed.
  • Options
    lenscaplenscap Member Posts: 854
    Below are the changes to the back end of the 2004 LS 430:

1. Tailights lose the orange turn indicator in favor of clear
    2. Tailights when applied are LED (like on the RX 330)
    3. The inner sides of the tailights (closer to the license plate) are angled out more - at the top of the lights, they come to a point right where they meet the trunk line instead of going up and then having a little horizontal piece on the trunk
    4. The chrome bar above the license plate extends past the license plate opening instead of stopping where the opening ends
    5. The dual exhaust now shows through the bumper
  • Options
    A corporate website:

http://pressroom.toyota.com/photo_library/display_release.html?id- =2004ls430_s

provides everything anyone would want to know about 2004 changes.

Audiophiles might want to note "The available Mark Levinson audio system is upgraded for 2004 with selectable Position Optimized Sound"...I wonder if that means that you can switch the stereo to offer optimal sound for the driver, for instance?
  • Options
    harryburnsharryburns Member Posts: 7
    2001 LS 430

I backed the auto into the garage, then I pulled the lever to open the trunk.

I heard the phone ringing and left the auto without opening the trunk. I did not use the auto for several days. When I tried to start the auto the battery was stone dead.

The reason: when the trunk lever is pulled the trunk opens about an inch, enough to turn on the inside trunk light, this light was on for several days.

I shall not have this problem again, I have removed the bulb in the trunk light.
  • Options
    Still haven't bought an LS yet but I found 2 different cars that interest me.
    A '99 with 102,000 miles and a '95 with 47,000 miles. They are within $2,000 of each other.

Which one is the better long term "investment"?

The'99 has the 290 hp engine and 5 speed.

The '95 has much lower mileage.

Do you think the timing belt will need to be changed on the '95 due to age issues?
  • Options
    That will also happen if you leave a door open by accident and have the headlights on auto. They only shut off when all four doors are properly closed. Since they stay on about 45 seconds after you close the doors properly anyway it is relatively easy to make the mistake of leaving a door open slightly and thinking the lights will still shut off. But they won't.
  • Options
    carguyaycarguyay Member Posts: 24
    Thanks so much for pressroom... I printed so I could work on my order.Looks like I am going to need winter tires and wheels.