Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2001 - 2006 Honda CR-Vs

Comments

• Options
    stevengordonstevengordon Member Posts: 130
    I wonder if Honda increased the recommended psi for their tires due to suspension and braking changes in the vehicle with the 2005 model year.

Traction control (or is it "vehicle stability") and anti-lock brakes comprise a difference to the braking and perhaps to the suspension (different spring tension).

Perhaps those are the reasons why they Honda increased the recommended psi from 26 to 29.
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,266
    stevengordon... If I had to bet, I'd go with your theory....

I've been going with 29-30 PSI lately, because I like the way it handles at that tire pressure... I doubt 35 PSI would be a problem, either, though I'm sure I wouldn't like the ride or handling there..

But, originally, the number thrown out there was the 44 psi maximum pressure on the sidewall.... I believe that would be dangerous, whether the tire would be safe at that pressure or not...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    That high and you risk a blowout or bent rim when you hit the first pothole. The tires have to "give" at least a little.

-juice
  • Options
    ecotrklvrecotrklvr Member Posts: 519
    As for me, I'd rather hit that pothole at 35psi than 26. Ever crack an alloy wheel?

And with all due respect to the more senior members of this forum, I'm not buying the entire argument that higher psi is going to lessen traction. I've autocrossed cars before, and the one consistent thing that everyone did before racing their street cars, was add air to the tires. Most of them went to max pressure as printed on the sidewalls - a few ran less, but some ran more. I ran 40psi on a 36psi (from memory) tire. It handled better than at the 30psi I ran on the street. Not recommending this for the street, as the higher pressure is great for smooth roads, but not for bumpy ones. When off-roading, my passenger-car tires on my trucks were dropped to 18-20psi - from 32psi - and ran no more than 20 mph - mostly less than 10. I always carried a 12 volt air pump, to get back to 32psi before getting back onto pavement.

All of this may mean very little to what pressure you may want to run in your tires, on your CR-V. I put 50,000 miles on my '99 CR-V, and the best compromise I found, on the slightly oversized (but same diameter) tires of 215-65R15H, was 32psi. I wore one set down after 30,000 miles of "brisk" driving, and it did not wear out the center of the tread faster. I return, I got better mileage, less body lean in turns, crisper handling, less nosedive in quick stops, and less sensitivity to crosswinds.

Whatever number you try is going to be affected by the tires' brand, and speed rating. I found the H rating to need less pressure to give all the benefits above than on an S (stock) or T rated tire. I needed 35psi on the original Bridgestone Duelers to get the benefits listed, but got a really harsh ride. Much preferred was the H at 32psi.

Hope this helps some out there. I really miss driving the 'V.
  • Options
    Keep in mind that the suspension engineers did tune the shocks and springs for a certain amount of "give" on the sidewall.

AutoX is done on perfect pavement and that's fine for that limited, controlled environment.

But over broken pavement you might be bouncing over the asphalt instead of gripping it. At least at more extreme pressures. :sick:

-juice
  • Options
    stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    I was looking at the Duelers; the text on the side says that the maximum weight capability is about 1400 lbs @ 44 PSI. capability of the tire to carry loads increases with PSI.

I think when you are heading out on a long trip with a maximum load in the CR-V, it is good to increase the PSI. That is why I recommended 35 PSI to the original post of the person heading out for a long distance interstate trip. As it happens, I keep 35 PSI in my CR-V all the time, but even when I used 32 all the time, I upped the PSI for long trips.

I think that 44 PSI is a bit extreme, and never recommended it - here or elsewhere.
  • Options
    varmintvarmint Member Posts: 6,326
    "05 vs. 04 suspension...and tire psi" - Stevengordon

In '05, Honda enlarged the brakes, enlarged the rims, changed the tire size, and (through content and structural changes) added weight to the vehicle. It's not surprising that they'd change the PSI recommendation. Almost nothing is the same.

"As for me, I'd rather hit that pothole at 35psi than 26. Ever crack an alloy wheel?" - Ecotrklvr

Ever seen a tire curled back into a fender? Suspension is designed to go up and down. There's no a whole lot of forgiveness in terms of fore and aft movement. I remember reading about Rover boasting that the Freelander had something like 6 or 7mm of fore/aft travel built in for off-roading purposes. In a car not designed for off-roading, the tire is supposed to absorb that shock.

FWIW, I've been running my tires between 26-28 psi for 5 years in New England (where pot holes are something of a cash crop). I take mine on dirt trails several times a year, many times without airing down. I've never damaged a rim.

"I think that 44 PSI is a bit extreme, and never recommended it - here or elsewhere." - Stevedebi

True. I don't think anyone did. It was just mentioned as the uppermost limit for the tires. The only time you would run up against that limit is with a heavier vehicle or a fully loaded one.

I just think that making the assumption that Honda's recommended setting is based solely on a cushy ride is... well... an assumption. I know that they do testing with these vehicles to determine the best blend of ride, performance, braking, and handling because I've read about it with other Honda models.

Nothing personal, but I'll take their measured tests over the preferences of others who have not conducted any such tests.
  • Options
    ecotrklvrecotrklvr Member Posts: 519
    "Ever seen a tire curled back into a fender?"

Nope. Have you? Do you mean the tire, or the whole strut/lower A-arm assembly? Your CR-V?

I really don't get your point about tire pressure versus potholes at 30-35psi. No one has advocated 44psi. The post is only about assuring those worried about 30-35psi being too much for the tire (since it's more than 26), that it's still less than 44.

I've run more tire pressure than most and been better off for it, with my CR-V, with my tires. Others are posting similar results. Have you ever tried 32psi with your CR-V?

Really did like the CSI-related PSI episode title, though.
  • Options
    Yeah. It was an IS300 with low profile tires. I'm familiar with the hole the driver hit. I didn't get a close enough look, but it probably took the whole assembly apart.

I'm not out to push my own opinions on anyone else. Run your tires however you want. I run mine under 30 and get the same gas mileage (if not better) and same happy experience as people running higher PSI. Take that for exactly what it's worth... not much.
  • Options
    stevengordonstevengordon Member Posts: 130
    I'm glad to read all of the interesting takes on the subject of increased vs. recommended psi for the CR-V. (It's gotten a lot more comment than my earlier post about whether the front license plate blocks air to the radiator, resulting in a hotter-running engine...).

If the cold pressure is increased, does that mean there's a possibility of the tire exceeding its maximum psi when the tire has been on the interstate for 18 hours straight?
  • Options
    I believe all the measurements refer to cold pressure, whether on the door jamb or sidewall.

-juice
  • Options
    "I just think that making the assumption that Honda's recommended setting is based solely on a cushy ride is... well... an assumption. I know that they do testing with these vehicles to determine the best blend of ride, performance, braking, and handling because I've read about it with other Honda models.

Nothing personal, but I'll take their measured tests over the preferences of others who have not conducted any such tests."

Ummmm, did I miss the part where you present the evidence of this "measured testing" by Honda? I submit that neither one of us know for sure why Honda chose either the 26 PSI for 2002-2004 or the 29 PSI for 2005 rating...
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
  • Options
    efwqrefwqr Member Posts: 1
    Can anyone recommend online dealerships that sells CR-V accessories? Seems there are quite a few out there, and I just want to make sure that I am dealing with a reputable dealership that has fair prices. Thanks!
  • Options
    red927red927 Member Posts: 118
    Honda Bloomfield in Detroit. Found them on e-bay. Bought cargo cover and mudguards last week. Prices are discounted from what the local dealer charges.
  • Options
    I have not seen posts from him in at least a year or two, but the guy we knew as "CR-V Engineer" always recommended 26 psi. When asked why, he stated that companies do testing to determine the best combination of driving characteristics over a range of conditions.

It's true that we do not know the exact criteria, or the weight of those criteria in the engineers' decision-making process. But I am certain the testing was conducted by Honda. And, no offense, I'm certain you have not.
  • Options
    georgew1georgew1 Member Posts: 31
    I have ordered several times from www.handa-accessories.com
    They are out of CA and have always been great to deal with. Their prices are as good as any I could find on the net. Good luck.
    George
  • Options
    And they have a handy ad with a link at the top of the page. ;)

Steve, Host
  • Options
    motordavidmotordavid Member Posts: 39
    I doubt that practically, one could exceed the sidewall PSI max unless you had 40ish+ to start with, cold. On one high speed 12 hr run to FLA w/daFridge, our '03 CR-V, showed an inc of 4 lbs. My Vette, w/individual real time tire press monitoring per wheel, shows an inc of 6 lbs in extreme road temps/high speed/ and-or crazy cornering here in the mtns. Obviously,if someone pumped in 44 psi cold in a CR-V, it would get past that when heated. BR,md
  • Options
    daryll44daryll44 Member Posts: 307
    Well, I think I am about ready to buy a new CR-V SE. I am wondering about the tires. Most of the vehicles on the local dealer lots have BRIDGESTONE DUELER tires but a few have BF GOODRICH tires. The DUELERS seem more aggressive (which is a plus here in PITTSBURGH) but I seem to recall on here that you folks were less than thrilled with the DUELERS for some reason.

Is there a way to swap the new factory tires for Michelins at an extra (but not full retail) expense? Any other tire suggestions?
  • Options
    sloanesqsloanesq Member Posts: 60
    Hi, a friend of mine is looking to purchase a mini-ute in the next couple of months so I, graciously, agreed to help her do some research. (more of a pleasure than a chore when it comes to cars). One of the top contenders is the CRV. Does anyone know when the new model year comes out and what changes, if any, are contemplated?

Any help will be appreciated.
  • Options
    The 2006 model year will be the last for the current body style of the CR-V. It will likely appear at the dealers in mid October or early November. I would not expect significant changes to the 2006 model. It'll probably include little more than new paint colors.

The 2007 model is due late in 2006. That model is completely new and no one really knows what to expect.
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,266
    Neither of those tires is great... but, really, you'll be much better off financially to just live with them until you are tired of them, then buy whatever you like..

Dealers are not likely to credit you more than $100 for the set, and certainly won't put on a different tire for no charge.. They may agree to swap wheels/tires with another unit on the lot to get the BFGs if you want to go that way...

You may find that the tires are okay.. My Duelers weren't that bad.... they just wore out fast.. So, you may be happy with them... If not, drive them as long as you can stand it, then get something else... I really didn't have any complaints until around 15K with my Duelers... I do like the BFGs better...

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    pierrebpierreb Member Posts: 9
    Any Cananadians here with both? Was wondering if the remote start was overkill if you have heated seats/ :confuse:
  • Options
    isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    Oh, neither are THAT bad. There is a tendency to make mountains out of mohills in forums like this. Wear them out and put something better on.
  • Options
    sloanesqsloanesq Member Posts: 60
    Thanx,

So the bottom line is there really is no reason to wait for an '06 unless maybe totry to get a better price on an '05.
  • Options
    dexter4dexter4 Member Posts: 1
    Hi There , I am about to buy a 2005 CRV new or demo in Canada and was wondering anyone knows if the roof racks are for show or can actually take some weight for say a canoe. Also if anyone could tell me any ideals on negotiating on the CRV.

The optional Back up sensor does anyone know how it works and is it worth buying.

Thanks Dexter4
  • Options
    thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    I had a 2002 CR-V, but I am certain that here in America, no back-up crash sensor is available standard on the CR-V, but only as an aftermarket add-on. I would have to ask my Honda dealer to confirm this, but I dont believe even they offer it as a dealer add-on. This may be different in Canada, however. (By the way, if any reader can confirm or combat my claim to this, please do so, but I am 99% sure its not an option)
  • Options
    georgew1georgew1 Member Posts: 31
    If I recall, the roof racks are limited to 75 lbs. You can get aftermarket ones that will hold much more but you will have to search for them. They have them that use the same rails and lock on and off easily. Back up sensors were not available when bought my 2004.
    George
  • Options
    It doesn't matter what the rack is rated for if the car under it is rated for less.

varmint, "Honda CR-V Owners: FAQ" #4, 24 Nov 2003 11:12 pm
  • Options
    Someone here installed one of those nifty fish eye lens stick-on thingies, that let you see directly behind the vehicle. I think it's a great idea given the location of the spare, plus it was cheap.

CR tested them and also thought it was cheap as well as efffective.

-juice
  • Options
    Thanks to all of you! I followed the threads here and bot my CR-V SE today in Pewter. I paid invoice plus 2%. I also insisted on a JAPANESE made vehicle. I would have NEVER noticed the "England vs Japan" issue without reading the CR-V threads here.
  • Options
    ronfreeronfree Member Posts: 2
    hey darryll44 a question regarding tires on the CR-V. I have heard from a jeep liberty dealer, that if you have a blow on one tire you will have to spring for ALL NEW TIRES, because of the AWD. Do you know anything about this?
  • Options
    Nope, I haven't heard of this. I would imagine that it's best to keep all 4 tires the same or at least be sure they are the same type (make, model) even if 1 or 2 has newer tread. I've been driving for almost 30 years now and (knock on wood that looks like plastic) have never blown a tires or even known anyone (with good tires) who did. I did once damage both the front and back tires on the passenger side by hitting a rebar at a curb, but that was a freak thing that was a puncture.

Your concern is not something that I am going to worry about.
  • Options
    Subaru tires have to be within a certain circumference of each other or you risk damaging their AWD system. So if you ruin a tire, you may have to shave a new one if you don't buy a new set. If Honda has such a requirement, it should be in the owner's manual.

Steve, Host
  • Options
    isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    Just when I think I've heard it all, someone comes up with THIS ?

What a load of B.S.!
  • Options
    If you get a flat, you patch it.

If the sidewall is torn up, and the tire is new, you can replace one tire. If it's old, you replace all 4 anyway. No biggie. You could even shop for one used tire to match the other 3.

CR-V has an open front diffy, but a large difference in rolling circumference (say a new left front tire with a bald right front tire) will confuse the stability control and RT4WD systems. In fact that is how they know when to act - when they sense a difference in speeds from one front tire to the other.

Within reason, you want to have 4 similarly worn tires.

-juice
  • Options
    varmint, "Honda CR-V Owners: Problems & Solutions" #2924, 23 May 2005 9:14 pm

Since the question was cross-posted, I'll cross-post the answer.
  • Options
    payas22payas22 Member Posts: 2
    I am close to buying a Honda-CRV. I don't like the spare tire hanging at the back and I
    know there is a tire-well inside. But I have not seen ANY CRVs without the spare
    hanging at the back. Does ANYONE know of ANY reason why the tire should not
    sit in the tire-well?

Thanks a million,
    payas22
  • Options
    I doubt a full sizer would even fit there. It's a rectangular cooler isn't it? Not even shaped to be a spare tire well.

The section width of the tires is 215mm I believe, is the area that tall? I kind of doubt it. I do think a donut would fit.

-juice
  • Options
    Juice is right. A full-size spare tire will not fit in the well. It's too thick. Besides, when you take the tire off, you're left with an odd-looking tire mount poking out the back.

If you don't care about the bracket, you could probably get a donut spare for the Element and fit that under the cargo floor.
  • Options
    flower3flower3 Member Posts: 4
    hi, i just purchased a 2001 naples gold crv-se at the end of jan.2004. have you had any problems with yours i have been having a problem with the car keeps getting out of alignment i have had different places do the alignment including honda dealer still same problem i have taken it to 4 different honda dealers for this problem plus when you accelerate their is also a vibration in the steering. the dealers tell me their is nothing wrong . called american honda from the beginning they could not help just keep taking it to a dealer that will find the problem i also purchased the honda care extended warranty.
  • Options
    What do you mean "out of alignment"? Is the car pulling to the right or something?

Have you tried replacing the rear differential fluid? I recently discovered that this can cause some unusual noises that sound like they are in the front end (2003 CR-V, different generation, I know).
  • Options
    twdnj08721twdnj08721 Member Posts: 6
    My daughter will be buying 05 CRV EX , she will be moving from New Jersey to California late August she will be taking two surfboards with her. Should she get an after market rack or just go with surfboard rack from Honda ? My concern is with the distance she will be going which would be better. Any thoughts?
  • Options
    flower3flower3 Member Posts: 4
    what happens is as i continue to drive the steering wheel gets loose than it starts to sway which makes it a little difficult to steer. i had the differential fluid done when i did the 30,000 mile check. each time i take it to the place that did the alignment or the dealer they tell me its out of alignment. i have been to 4 different honda dealers they tell me nothing is wrong i was just back at the dealer on monday again all the parts on the car are good . the vehicle has never been in an accident they checked for that to.
  • Options
    Did they balance the wheels? I know, it's kind of obvious...
  • Options
    workin2muchworkin2much Member Posts: 2
    I'm looking to buy a new CR-V SE in the next day/week and want to know more about the Japanese vs. England issue. I searched back through a number of pages of threads, but can't find it. Can you [or someone] please recap for me? Thanks
  • Options
    robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    There is no issue. CRV's are produced in both Japan and the UK. The west coast tends to get Japan product and the east coast gets UK product. AFAIK, there are no quality differences between the two plants. Honda has one quality standard that must be met no matter the plant location.

My Dad has an 02 UK made CRV. 60K miles, not one warranty visit.
  • Options
    Some people think that cars built in Japan are of higher quality than those built elsewhere. Personally, I do not. I've never seen any evidence to support the theory.

FWIW, the cars produced in Honda's Swindon plant (UK) have been awarded several long term quality and reliability awards by UK publications. The CR-V is among the winners. So even if there is a quality difference, I don't see how significant it can be.
  • Options
    workin2muchworkin2much Member Posts: 2
    My thanks to Robr2 & Varmint! I appreciate your explanations on this topic. Edmunds and these forums have been very helpful!

I've been diligently researching new cars to find the "perfect" car & prepare to negotiate the best possible purchase. I'm confident of my decision for a new CR-V (it'll be my first Honda - previously had Fords & Chevrolet) - now to execute a good negotiation !
    Thanks again.