Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

GMC Yukon XL and Yukon XL Denali

Comments

• Options
    rhanson3rhanson3 Member Posts: 69
    So if I order a LT with flares, they will always match the body color? Also, are the flares still on constraint. I thought I read a while back that they were. Thanks for your help. Bob
  • Options
    subcurioussubcurious Member Posts: 1
    I have heard that 2002 subs will have 6 doors. Is it still a rumor or
    is it confirmed ?

Also, when is a new year model typically available ? Based on
    these answers I will decide whether to buy now or wait for the 2002.
    I plan to buy nine passenger model so the third seat door is important
    to me.

Thanks in advance.
  • Options
    dustyonedustyone Member Posts: 262
    Chevy Truck Silverado
    Front, Victory Red 12495832
    Rear, Victory Red 12495833
    Front, Olympic White 12495834
    Rear, Olympic White 12495835
    Front, Indigo Blue 12496422
    Rear, Indigo Blue 12496423
    Front, Meadow Green 12496424
    Rear, Meadow Green 12496425
    Front, Gloss Black 12497244
    Rear, Gloss Black 12497245

Tahoe/Suburban
    Gloss Black, Front 12497244
    Gloss Black, Rear (Tahoe) 12497258
    Gloss Black, Rear (Suburban) 12497268
    Tracker (Two-Door Only, Primed) 91175245

GMC Truck Sierra
    Front, Gloss Black 12495830
    Rear, Gloss Black 12495831
    Front, Victory Red 12495832
    Rear, Victory Red 12495833
    Front, Olympic White 12495834
    Rear, Olympic White 12495835
    Front, Indigo Blue 12496422
    Rear, Indigo Blue 12496423
    Front, Meadow Green 12496424
    Rear, Meadow Green 12496425
  • Options
    timfarntimfarn Member Posts: 289
    I am interested in knowing if anyone has compared the build quality of Subs or YXLs built in US plants versus the units produced in Silao, Mexico. Are the Mexican products shipped primarily to the South/Southwest? The new Chevy Avalanche is to be built exclusively at the Silao plant and questions on the build quality (especially with the new features incorporated into this design) are the biggest concern. Since the Avalanche is built on the Sub/YXL platform, a comparison of models from each plant should give some insight as to the build quality to be expected. Any input from US and Mexican product owners would be appreciated.
  • Options
    pcalpcal Member Posts: 5
    I posted a message (#679) and have had no responses, does anyone have any advice!
    It would be greatly appreciated!
  • Options
    dustyonedustyone Member Posts: 262
    " #679 of 705 Engine problems 2001 Tahoe by pcal Mar 05, 2001 (11:55 am)

Help! I've had my 2001 Tahoe 5 months and it has started making a clicking noise from the engine(sounds like valves). I took it in last week and the serviceman agreed that (in his words!) that is definetly not a good sound! He called to say it was ready and said it was fine that it had a carbon build up and they had decarbonized it. Picked it up Friday night and believe it or not its clicking even louder. When called he now says that Tahoe engines are just a little loud. Feeling like he was giving me the run around, I spoke with him again this morning and told him it's not the loudness it's the distinctive clicking sound thats a problem. I'm scheduled to take it in again in the morning. Any advice!!!!! ""

Many times when you don't receive any advice from here, it is because no one else has had the problem that you are describing. Sorry about that, but I am glad that I don't have a solution to your problem. I suspect: however, that you are getting the run around from your incompetent dealer's mechanics. Try another dealer if possible
  • Options
    andyl2andyl2 Member Posts: 84
    Nifty has decided not to make the second row floor mat to fit the Denali XL (all other mats fit). The 2nd row mat from the Yukon XL will not fit properly. Theresa Brewer is the customer service director. If enough people complain, Nifty may change their mind. Their phone number is 800-356-5666, ask for Theresa Bower. Tell her that you were told that Nifty will not be making a Catch-All for the second row of a Denali XL. If you want the mats, please call and bug her. She is on vacation until 3/12.

Thanks for your help.

In the mean time, any other mat suggestions would be appreciated in case we can’t get Nifty to change their mind and make the second row mat for the Denali XL.
  • Options
    ethanethan Member Posts: 4
    I live in the San Jose, CA area. Can anyone recommend a dealer who will sell a Yukon XL or a Suburban close to invoice? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
  • Options
    suburbansrulesuburbansrule Member Posts: 34
    Bob, yes if you order a LT the flares, mirrors, front bumper cover, bodyside mouldings, and door handles will match the body color. No I haven't heard anything about them being on constraint.
    Suburbansrule
  • Options
    A dealer can place an order around the last week of July or the first week of August but they can't quote you a price because they don't get pricing until sometime in Sept.
    Suburbansrule
  • Options
    scott152scott152 Member Posts: 1
    I am getting close to ordering a 01 suburban/yukon XL. Does anybody know of or have any experience with dealers in SouthEast Pennsylvania that deal with a under/over invoice price policy? I know of one GMC dealer who I going to talk to next week, but I like to compare just to see what else is available.
    I have compared the two vehicles and found about a $500 difference in price for the same equipped trucks. The yukon gives you carpeted mats and fog lights, but there has to be something I am missing. I'm looking at LS/ SLE package trucks.
    A local dealer called saying that he was getting in a GM program truck, but it is in Blue and we were looking for Gold or Pewter. Has anybody else heard of program vehicles coming available.
    One last question, has anyone found the saddle blanket style seat covers for the 2nd row 40/60 seat and the 3rd row bench seat?
    This site has been a great help in answering some questions, I read all 700 posts in the past week. Guess I got the fever! Been driving Suburbans since 1982 at work and now it is time to have one of my own. They got me a Expedition at work, can't like it no matter how hard I try!!
  • Options
    jamesk4jamesk4 Member Posts: 55
    What the service tech said is correct, carbon build up on the skirt of the piston. Question, did they keep your Tahoe overnight? The spec calls for removing spark plugs, putting in cleaner, also pouring it down the intake and letting it set overnight. You get a free oil change with this repair. Mine did it too at 5000 miles, has been quiet eversince repair, I wonder if the break in oil had something to do with it.

However, I read a post 9 months ago about someone who at 24,000 miles had made their 4th or 5th trip back for tha same ticking noise. He pressured GM and got a 7 year extended warranty for free.

Good luck.......
  • Options
    Is this a problem with ALL SUB's and XL's or just a few? No fix from GM? Thanks
  • Options
    babyangelsbabyangels Member Posts: 32
    Hello,

This is my first post on this board... I have to meekly admit, I've been posting like crazy on the 2001 Chrysler Town and Country board. We were all set to buy a minivan (after I swore I'd never drive one!) when I talked to another mom who just traded their Chrysler minivan in on a Yukon XL after getting in a car accident with the minivan.

We don't currently do any towing... but hope to have that ski boat in a few years, we have 2 kids now and may end up with 3 when all is said and done. We basically need the space and storage capacity of the Burb or Yukon XL.

I've read a lot of the posts on the board regarding both vehicles and am concerned about the cold feet issue for the passenger. I would like to know if there are any other issues that are BIG enough to warrant reconsidering this purchase.

We are looking for a 2000 Yukon XL or Suburban with Quad Captain's Chairs, leather, liftgate, 1/2 ton, running boards... I would love the 2001 but so far can't seem to make it work with the numbers. I've been on the phone all day and have tracked down several Yukon XL's in the 2000's and a couple of Suburbans.

As a mom of 2 who will be doing most of the driving of this new purchase, I would appreciate any advice, necessary options I should look for, etc... I am a veteran Suburban driver from the 80's... I grew up in a 1979 Sierra Classic in a lovely Rust Shade! :o) I'm well versed at driving the larger SUV's but did enjoy the ease of driving the minivans I testdrove.

My husband is thrilled I've decided on the SUV vs. the minivan. He's been dreading the idea and working overtime to change my mind!

Thanks for any help, suggestions, etc...

Maria
  • Options
    rleonardrleonard Member Posts: 17
    Hi 715--Cold air all Subs and yukons except moon roofers which do not have auto htr/ac systems, my info to date. I have 2001 Yukon XL parked pending resolution of arbitration on this problem.
  • Options
    heatwave3heatwave3 Member Posts: 462
    babyangels: I have a 2001 Denali XL (same basic underpinnings as the Yukon XL) without a factory moonroof (I have climate control front and rear and had a sunroof installed aftermarket) and I have not had the cold air experience that others have posted about.

I have had suburbans from the last 3 generation models and they are good vehicles. Not without issues, but I am not sure any vehicle is completely free from problems. Go to a few dealers and take them out to see if they fit your needs. They have for me and I am now purchasing my third one. Many owners of Subs and now Yukon XL's are previous owners, which is in mind a strong testament to the quality of these vehicles, particularly when you consider all the good choices that are available.

Good Luck with your shopping!
  • Options
    Yes, they did keep it overnight. All I know is that they did a decarbonization. As I said I took it back in Tues.9:00am and they still have it(Thurs.9:30am)When I took it in the second time he again said the engine is made of plastic pieces and metal and might make noises, but I'm not buying that! I sounds like valves to everyone and it needs to be fixed! Called the dealership yesterday to check on it and they said they were still working on it and would call as soon as the knew anything. (makes me nervous!)
  • Options
    Has anyone seen the GMC XL after market fender trim? I really like the Suburban factory trim but have been told that because of the door guard, that type wont fit. Can you get after market trim that is thicker like the suburban counterpart. Thanks Any pictures?
  • Options
    henrysbeachhenrysbeach Member Posts: 9
    For what it's worth, I recently experienced the cold air phenom. on a long distance trip through snow country. I have a Yukon XL, 2001 and the problem only surfaced in cold climates--I'm from So. Cal. My wife complained throughout the trip. I haven't found a cure either. Sounds like a design defect that GMC will not acknowledge.
  • Options
    jtbuffjtbuff Member Posts: 25
    Posted several times about cold air on passenger side. Have a 2001 Yukon XL. Dealership could not help me.Called GM and person told me that it was the first time they heard anything about it.Hope they find a fix for it.Hate to pay almost 45000 dollars for a vehicle and have to use a blanket to cover your feet and legs if you are a passenger.
  • Options
    drb2002drb2002 Member Posts: 72
    The cold air problem exists for all of your vehicles (at least the auto climate model for sure)! I picked up my XL Denali in Northern Idaho 4 weeks ago and drove in -13F (without wind chill) weather. The cold air originates from above and to the right of the front passengers feet. Hot air from the system continues to blow from the upper left, but the cold air is hard to miss. I live in Salt Lake City, and I have felt it numerous other times when driving up to the ski resorts with the temp below +25F.

If you just place your feet to the left (even at -13F), the heat takes over.

This was posted earlier in the Denali forum...
    =================================================
    #374 of 417 GMCs' reason for the the cold draft on passenger side on Danali. by conundrum35 Feb 27, 2001 (12:28 pm)

According to GMC the reason given was that this is part of the astro ventilation system which is supposed to prevent the build up of CO2 in passenger compartment. Duh. I have a GMC G20 van with half the engine in the passenger compartment without any cold air coming in and have never had any symptoms of CO2 poisoning.

I hope that when you pass out at 75MPH you don't plow head on into another vehicle also doing 75.

Unsafe at any price.
    =================================================

If this is true, let's just find a way to stick a pillow in it! Ok, who has the factory manual with a diagram?

Long story short, this really won't affect most of the owners, and even though I can notice it a little at sub freezing temperatures, it really is not a problem until it gets below 0F.

If any of you are going to return your new ride because of this, you must be looking for a way out of your lease :P

Dave
  • Options
    xloaded1xloaded1 Member Posts: 3
    I am assuming you are referring to the wheel flares that are optional on chevy suburbans, but not offered as an option on gmc's. Bushwacker now makes flares that are identical to the chevy flares for the yukon and xl, and they are cut out to fit around the big body-side molding that comes on the gmc's. I just purchased some from a local 4x4 shop for $334. They are at the body shop I do business with getting painted now. I hope to get them tomorrow, and put them on over the weekend. I think they're going to look great.
  • Options
    Yes, it makes a sound just like lifters, louder when it is cold outside, no noise after the motor is warm, but believe me, it is not the lifters.
  • Options
    slandersonslanderson Member Posts: 3
    I own a 2000 Yukon XL without the auto-climate control system and to date have not had any problems with cold air on the passenger side.

I have had the following issues:
    Door molding oxiding / rusting.
    Both front and rear bumpers rusting.
    One power window motor failure.
    All have been fixed under warranty.
  • Options
    where do you live that you have rust after just 1 year?
  • Options
    Would it be possible to e-mail a picture of the truck after you have the fender trim installed? I think the trim really finishes the look.
  • Options
    jamek4, what did your friend eventually find out about his truck? Were they able to fix it? At this point they've had my tahoe almost 4 days.
  • Options
    What I remember was that the repair would correct the problem but it would return after 4000-5000 miles on his truck. I had mine rpaired at 4000 and now have 12,000 with no reoccurance. An old race car buddy said the problem was too much slack in the piston skirt to piston wall area. I don't know if they are making these motors looser for better gas ratings or what. I would think that if it was reoccuring that one would have a motor close to the outside of spec, not a pretty place to be with a brand new motor.
  • Options
    Hot off the press, just received a call from Southern GM stating that General Motors made the decision today to allow cross over buying (GMC YXL to Suburban and vice-visa) using the coupon or your title. Funny, I just received an E-mail from GM yesterday concerning my request to allow this, they stated that they were sorry that they could not allow that at this time. I wonder what happened between yesterday and today?????

Anyway, I would like to thank GM for making this decision and allowing loyal GM SUV owners the opportunity to purchase a Suburban or YXL at a $1000 discount.
  • Options
    Both of my neighbors have older suburban's and I am hoping one of them receives the coupon.
    I want to see If I could use it even thought I don't own a GM product. My sister owns a Blazer, could I have her buy it for me? thanks for any in site. A grand is a grand.
  • Options
    inman01inman01 Member Posts: 9
    does anyone know about fitting a 2000 Tahoe (barn doors) with the optional 3rd row back seat. Can this be done and can the dealer do it.

Bill
  • Options
    I live in Northern Illinois. I thought the rust on the moldings was odd at first, but then I looked at other Yukon XL's at malls and store parking lots and notice some of them rusting also. I have not noticed it on any the 2000/2001 Sub's yet. It may be the salt/chemicals they put on the streets here to melt the snow and ice. The disturbing part was when I took the truck to the dealer they didn't seem that concerned. It was almost as though it was a common problem here.

On the bumper, a friend of mine has a 1999 Chevy pick-up truck with a similiar bumper and he has had his bumper replaced also.
  • Options
    balserbalser Member Posts: 90
    Does anyone know if the lights on the back of the Z71 roof rack can be retrofit to the regular 'burb rack? I realize some wiring would be involved, but can the lights replace the standard end cap on the regular rack? Thanks.
  • Options
    btenbten Member Posts: 28
    I just ordered a Z71 and was told the roof rack lights were not available. They were not on the Z71 I test drove (only plastic cirle outlines {knockouts?)). The roof rack on the Z71 is different from the reg Sub.
  • Options
    airboat60airboat60 Member Posts: 1
    Dear brent---Did they tell you that the lights would be available soon? I ordered one of the z-71s last week--they didnt say a thing about the lights not being available. I liked the truck for the lights in particular. Noone has seen a z-71 here in south florida---all of them are supposed to arrive next week from sileo mexico. How did you find out about the ligths so I can check with my dealer? Thanks,charles
  • Options
    jgmilbergjgmilberg Member Posts: 872
    Try your dealer tell them you have a 2000 model, they came with the big wide flares. If that doesn't work or is to costly try a local collision shop, they should be able to get them for you. Performance Products also has a set to fit. The part number is 3611. Price $287. Phone # 1-800-588-7472. I have done business with them before they are pretty quick if the product is in stock. Make sure no matter what tell them a 2000 model, the 2001 has small flares, and if I remember correctly those only come on 3/4 ton. Good luck, and let us know what you did.
  • Options
    btenbten Member Posts: 28
    Dear Air boat,

I test drove a Z71 and it did not have lights. When I placed my order, the salesman said right up front that the lights were not available, before I could ask. I would definitely go back and ask your dealer, especially if it important to you. He did not give a time when they would be available, just said that the Z71 would not have the lights in the roof rack.
  • Options
    jloch3jloch3 Member Posts: 1
    Looking at K2500 4wd for pulling 24ft box trailer w/ wt distrib hitch. Total wt about 8000lbs. Tow 10-12x/yr in midwest. Would like opinions re: 6 vs 8.1 and 3.73vs 4.10. Consider need to feed beast rest of year.
  • Options
    After reading many posts on the cold air problems some with and without climate control I'm wondering if where the vehicles are built might be the problem? Mexico vs. USA easy to tell, first number in the vehicle identification number is #1 for USA or #3 for Mexico I'd like to compare the trucks that are bothering to the ones that aren't. Thank you for your responses.
    Suburbansrule
  • Options
    jtbuffjtbuff Member Posts: 25
    Mine was built in Mexico.
  • Options
    rleonardrleonard Member Posts: 17
    Mine built in Mexico also.
  • Options
    mnbuckymnbucky Member Posts: 16
    Built in Janesville. Sun Roof. No climate Control. 2001 Suburban LT
  • Options
    murmurmusicmurmurmusic Member Posts: 13
    2001 burb 1500LT, sunroof, manual ac, no cold air problem, mexican built.
  • Options
    sanjilsanjil Member Posts: 2
    I live in Minneapolis, MN and own a 2001 Yukon, 5.3L V8. I have about 5,300 Miles on the vehicle. Question I have is about the gas mileage. I get about 11.5 mpg driving in town and about 13-13.5 mpg on the highway. I am curious to find out what other Yukon owners are seeing for gas mileage. Any help would be appreciated. I asked the dealer and he said to drive it unto 10K and then bring it in, he said 10K is a good break-in period. I am going to bring it to another CM dealer this Friday but I thought I would post this questions to see what others are seeing for mileage.

Thanks,
    Sanjil
  • Options
    2001 Yukon XL Denali, no sunroof, auto climate, Janesville.

PS. You really need to drive your vehicle when the temp is below 35F to feel it...

I live in Salt Lake, and have only experienced it about 5 times. The Southern folk just won't be able to detect it! Conclusions can be false when basing your info on drivers from FL and CA...

Dave
  • Options
    Holy Cow, you are getting bad mileage for the 5.3! I have a Yukon XL Denali (6.0L), and I get about 1.5 city and 15 highway (13.5 mixed city and highway). I am getting worse mileage compared to all the other guys with the same vehicle. I have read many many many posts from guys with YXL's and Subs who get 14 city and 16-17 highway.

I admit I floor the sucker all the time, and that is why I get poor mileage compared to my peers. But you are reporting the worse mileage I have read about here! I am just telling you this so you realize that there is a problem.

Dave
  • Options
    rcsuttonrcsutton Member Posts: 35
    I have an 01 XL and get a consistant 16 MPG no more no less since the 1st tank. This is combination driving but mostly city. It has 2800 miles & 1/2 ton.
    Bob
    S. Fl
  • Options
    one4thegipperone4thegipper Member Posts: 24
    I have a '01 Burb, 1500, 5.3L, 4.1 axle ratio, 13,000 miles, and get 12.5-13.0 with mostly city driving. I only wish I were getting 16mpg!!!

Rich
  • Options
    I have a 2000 Yukon XL 5.3L with 7800 miles on it. We average 14-15 mpg around town and 17-18 mpg highway (cruise control 72 mph). My wife drives it during the week and I drive it on the weekend. I have been very pleased considering vehicle weight and hp available when needed.
  • Options
    What grade of fuel do you guy's run in the sub's and xl's?