Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Subaru Crew - Meet The Members II

Comments

• Options
    jeffmcjeffmc Member Posts: 1,742
    "Our cars have been battered by falling acorns, leaving numerous tiny dents all over them. It looks like hail damage."

That's just nuts, Bob.
  • Options
    fibber2fibber2 Member Posts: 3,786
    I believe I got the long distance award for last weeks chat from our room at that time in Nagoya. Hi tonight from The Granvia Hotel, Kyoto, Japan!

OK, so here we are walking thru an underground mall distantly attached to Kyoto station with my wife and kids, when I hear someone call out to me. We turn around, and there is an acquantance from work who is at a neighboring hotel for a photolithography conference, and his wife, who teaches a dance class that my daughter takes! How is that for pretty strange?

Brenda - congrats!

Steve
  • Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    I'm back, still busy though.

Our retreat was last week, Wed-Fri. But all the staff came in from the field offices and bombarded me with requests starting on Monday, last week.

Most are still here, and will stay all week. So all of last week plus this week has been just insane. I'm coming in early and staying late every night.

I normally support a large group, first point of contact for IT needs for about 180 people. But when you add the field office staff, that number swells to about 250!

I'm multi-tasking so as I write this I have 4 computers at my desk and I'm working on all of them except my own. :sick:

I did get away long enough for a nice drive. The retreat was in Williamsburg, VA, so I drove from there straight to the beach. So basically I went east towards Norfolk, VA, and then north along the coast.

Just before Norfolk you go through a short tunnel then a bridge, it's nice. But turn north and hit the Chesapeake bay Bridge/Tunnel and you get about 12 miles of beautiful tunnel/bridge/tunnel/bridge. I had the Miata so I have a nice tan. :shades:

The catch? $12 toll there, yikes. Biggest toll I've ever seen.

Met the wife at the beach condo, so we had a nice weekend, but then it was back to work early Monday again. I'm exhausted.

-juice
  • Options
    Tell her congrats, Brenda, that's great news.

-juice
  • Options
    c_hunterc_hunter Member Posts: 4,487
    That's a nice drive up the eastern shore, especially in a Miata! Did you get to do any driving while in Wmsbg? The Colonial Parkway is always a good bet in a convertible, especially right after sunrise. I occasionally take that on my way to work when I have spare time.
  • Options
    Boy, I wish. I was first in, last out. Had to set up all the presentations and handle a lot of logistics. Took photos and produced a quick slide show for the finale.

No spare time at all, never even got on line.

-juice
  • Options
    hondafriekhondafriek Member Posts: 2,984
    Rob, ask yourself a basic question, why would a body shop recommend PDR? It is eating into their gravy train.

Cheers Pat.
  • Options
    ladywclassladywclass Member Posts: 1,713
    let me know if you make it this way again ... and we'll see if we can find coffee/tea in the midst of nutty schedules!
  • Options
    I visited that area twice in one year .. once in April as spring was coming .. and once in the fall with the beautiful foliage ...

I do believe the Williamsburg, Norfolk, Jamestown area is one of the prettiest I've ever seen ... and *I* drove in through massive road construction as a squall moved onshore!!

I remember the tunnel/bridge too ... as the rainstorm hit ...
  • Options
    rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    http://www.cbbt.com/

It's pretty neat. We've taken it a few times on our way to the Outer Banks of NC (via MD/VA eastern shore).

Bob
  • Options
    kenskens Member Posts: 5,869
    Steve,

Wow, you're in Kyoto? First time? Any chance to sightsee?

Ken
  • Options
    lucien2lucien2 Member Posts: 2,984
    *phew* Well I remembered something about you and airfare in Brazil, and then you stopped posting the day of the Gol crash. Anyways, welcome back.
  • Options
    kate5000kate5000 Member Posts: 1,271
    *Phew* ... and I was thinking - what "manifest" Lucien is talking about? :surprise: Then I thought Juice crashed on the deserted island in the ocean... assembling a vehicle from the palm branches and coconuts wouldn't be too hard for him, would it? ;)

(Yes, I've watched "LOST" too much lately... :blush: )
  • Options
    Unfortunate coincidence, sorry 'bout that.

I know how you feel, because a Crew member, NYPDAU or something like that, is a NY police officer and quit posting right after 9/11. He popped in much later and I was quite relieved to hear from him.

Some private jet hit the Gol and the Gol plane crashed and killed 150+ people in the middle of the Amazon. Ironically noone in the little private plane was hurt.

-juice
  • Options
    We also had a member at one point (don't remember the handle), who said he was a member of K-9 unit in NYPD, and on 9/11 his Forester with his dog in it was parked near or under the towers... he lost his car and his dog on that day...
  • Options
    PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    I have no doubt Juice could make that vehicle out of island materials :P

I'd like to what he makes the VDC out of though...LOL
  • Options
    lilbluewgn02lilbluewgn02 Member Posts: 1,089
    SUBWAY SERIES !!
  • Options
    to me that means 2 sandwiches back to back...
  • Options
    leo2633leo2633 Member Posts: 589
    Only if the Yankees can get in! HA!

LETS GO METS!

Len
  • Options
    I grew up in Washington Heights across the river from Yankee Stadium and have been a lifelong Yankees fan...my wife grew up in Queens, so she has been a Mets fan...the last subway series, our son sat between us and switched hats every inning of every game to try to be non-partial. However, these last 2 years or so, he has blossomed into a loyal Yankees fan. As long as a NY team wins the series, I am happy. However, the Mets have lost both Pedro and Orlando and the Yankee bats are hot...the best lineup ever.
  • Options
    p0926p0926 Member Posts: 4,423
    "the best lineup ever"

For what Steinbrenner is paying them they ought to be :P

-Frank
  • Options
    Frank, you are right...but they also have that drive and their hearts in it, and they love the game.
  • Options
    How ridiculous is it that baseball is still going on (it's freezing outside) and hockey season is about to start? These sports should not overlap.

At least I have TiVO. :D

-juice

PS Work is finally, FINALLY, settling down. Whew.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I drove eight miles this morning with 780 pounds of tile in the back of the Outback. The label on the door says the rig can carry 900 pounds. I'm 175 pounds so I was just a mere 55 pounds over ... if you ignore the half tank of gas and 2 gallons of adhesive in the wagon too. :shades:

When the forklift operator put the pallet in the back, I did wonder for a minute if the rear struts were going to peek up through the carpet.

Go Mets. :)
  • Options
    I'm envisioning the Lumber Jetta in my head... :surprise:

-juice
  • Options
    There was room to slide the pallet forward another foot or so; I'm guessing it would have been a bit less tail heavy if more of the weight had been forward of the rear axle?
  • Options
    Probably. You want to distribute the load as much as you can, put some of that weight on the front axle. There is a GVWR for each axle.

-juice
  • Options
    We had major connectivity problems at the last hotel we were at, so no posts. Thought about hitting a Starbucks, but no time!

Wow, what a wonderful two weeks. Once I get settled, I will post some more about our travels, and try and get some pictures up. We got home a day late after American blew our connection, and had to put us up for a night in Dallas. Plus side: First class today. That is on top of the Business class trip across the Pacific when they blew the connection on the outbound leg. So with two nights in hotels plus food, $2,000 in travel vouchers, and two flight upgrades, they lost money big time on us!!! And two of our 4 seats were on frequent flyer miles to begin with...

Highlights: Of course the wedding in Nagoya, the Toyota factory tour, and the incredible beauty of Kyoto (yes, Ken, this is my 3rd time there). By stark contrast but still fun was the Namba district of Osaka, which resembles a square mile street fair. And then the very somber day spent in Hiroshima. You cannot appreciate the impact of the A-bomb until you see how this city and it's residents suffered. Right, wrong or indifferent about the decision of the time, it is a must experience event.

Steve
  • Options
    jfljfl Member Posts: 1,396
    Welcome back Steve.

Get some R&R.

Jim
  • Options
    newtosubienewtosubie Member Posts: 39
    As I was flipping through the November issue of Smart Money that I found in my seat pocket during a flight home on Sunday, I came across an article about companies turning to bloggers to market their wares. As I was reading, I thought of these forums and then a few more paragraphs down, there's Juice quoting away about Edmunds and some of the perks he's received from Subie.

Way to be out there Juice - just a few months ago wasn't someone at your house taking pics of you loading up the Forester? How do you keep all the paparazzi at bay? :shades:
  • Options
    Good eye - she was going to send me a few copies because I haven't seen it yet.

The article was about the Subaru Crew and Edmunds.com specifically, pretty cool really. How did I sound?

-juice
  • Options
    newtosubienewtosubie Member Posts: 39
    You sounded fine and represented the crew well. It was an interesting article as I've always thought these forums and blogs were great marketing tools. It was cool to come across your name completely at random.
  • Options
    Is there a link? I searched but couldn't find one.

Bob
  • Options
    bigelmbigelm Member Posts: 995
    Kept it on the DL huh?
  • Options
    Welcome back Steve. Sounds like you had a pretty eventful trip thanks to AA!

Didn't know you were in Kyoto 3x already! And yes, the Namba area in Osaka is quite the difference. Actually, one of my favorite cities in Japan is Osaka. I pratically lived there when I was working in Japan. I find the people and food to be more enjoyable compared to Tokyo.

The a-bomb memorial in Hiroshima is something worth seeing once in a lifetime. As you pointed out, the heartbreaking stories of the everyday civilians are worth knowing for the future regardless of one's context of a war long past.

Ken
  • Options
    volkovvolkov Member Posts: 1,306
    A devoted anti-fan of the Yankees since childhood.
  • Options
    On the down low... :D

Well, I usually wait until something is published before I tell people. Plus it's a lot more fun when people find it for me.

It's not on the web site, yet, at least. It's the November print issue of Smart Money, and wasn't really supposed to be due until next week. I still don't have a copy but I reminded her since Anne Kadet told me she'd sent me one.

-juice
  • Options
    p0926p0926 Member Posts: 4,423
    They're either queuing up for a spot on the Brooklyn Bridge to jump from or they're busy drowning their sorrow and dashed hopes at the corner pub :shades:

-Frank
  • Options
    Mourning the loss of Cory Lidle...and there is always next year...
    A LIFELONG Yankees fan...grew up acroos the river from Yankee Stadium and had my bar-mitzvah a block away.
    Serge
  • Options
    Replying to myself, I guess, but I spoke to the reporter and she had already sent out copies to me last Friday, so I should have them soon. :)

-juice
  • Options
    Hi guys! I will be in Sunnyvale next week, but on a tight leash. If I can escape, any thoughts on dinner, or should we pass this time around?

Steve
  • Options
    jfljfl Member Posts: 1,396
    I'm in NYC Mon & Tue, but back home the rest of the week.

Keep me posted, but I may have very limited access to email until I'm back. (I'm traveling sans computer! :surprise:

Jim
  • Options
    Oops, scratch that proposal.... Got a call from the supplier late last night that they ran into a new technical problem, and will need two or more weeks for a redesign.

So where in NY, Jim?

Steve
  • Options
    Got the magazine, nice article. Very positive, they call me a "Ubiquitous Influencer" on page 95.

I'd be proud if I new what that meant. LOL

CarSpace is also mentioned, again a very positive piece. :shades:

-juice
  • Options
    Yep, a great writeup!

Bob
  • Options
    Y'all be sure and let us know when the Nov. issue is released to the net; if it doesn't get a URL, I may not get to see it.
  • Options
    OK -- let us know when your plans finalize.

Ken
  • Options
    yep, let us know when plans finalize. I'll be happy to meet with you and the rest of the Bay Area Crew.
  • Options
    Had to hit it 5 times this morning to get it to recognize me. That is up from 2/3 times typical of last week.
  • Options
    Worked fine for me just now.

Had a nice road trip to the beach this weekend, probably the last trip this year. We winterized the condo (read: we cleaned it!).

Sandy broke 27mpg with 4 people, a dog, and a full load. Not bad.

-juice