Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Real-World Trade-In Values

Comments

• kate61880kate61880 Member Posts: 3
    I am trying to trade in my car and have gotten many different values for it on the web and in person. Could you please help me.
    Orlando
    2002 Toyota Solara SE coupe 2 dr
    4 cylinder automatic
    FWD
    62,500 miles
    Red/Beige cloth
    alloy wheels, sunroof, JBL sound system, power driver seat, rear spoiler, tinted windows, CD/AM/FM
    A couple of door dings and scratches, normal wear and tear, cigarette burn in back seat(size of a dime)
    tires are brand new
    it is a lease so, new battery recently, oil changes, brake pads/rotors replaced
    no ins. claims or accidents
    NADA trade in-$11,425
    Kelly Blue book trade in-$7,780
    Edmunds TMV trade in-$9,549
    Dealers have said between $6,500-$8,500

Plus all the retail and private party values listed everywhere. I just want to know what is fair and reasonable and what to expect.

Thanks so much
  • gregjohnsongregjohnson Member Posts: 117
    Did you overlook the "50 years" part.

Nope - the original poster implied the customers were judgment-proof, but it is probably a topic for another forum.

-Greg
  • ghuletghulet Member Posts: 2,564
    My neighbors (newlyweds) have a car (the bride's), they'd like to trade or sell, probably for a Jeep Wrangler (not necessarily new, perhaps my S.O. will sell them his before we go broke on the $3 gas!). Anyway:

2001 Mazda Protege DX (base, no power windows or locks)
    5-speed manual transmission, factory hubcaps and rims
    metallic light burgandy with tan cloth (not my favorite, but not objectionable)
    fortunately, has A/C and factory CD AND cassette
    ~58k miles
    in great shape, no scrapes/dents, a couple of parking nicks and bumper rubs
    nice interior, new brakes, good recent matching tires
    in Chicago
  • dakotashopperdakotashopper Member Posts: 14
    Hi Terry,

A small dealership has the following vehicle that has peaked my interest. What say you on a realistic counter offer? I am a cash buyer, would $13,2k be too low? His advertised price is $14,990.

Huntsville, Alabama
    2003 Dodge Dakota
    Quad Cab
    SLT Laramie 2WD
    4.7 liter, V8 magnum, automatic
    62,000 miles
    Dark blue/silver on bottom exterior, grey leather interior

Options/Condition: It's got A/C and is loaded...power windows, door locks, windows, and seats; spray in line-x bedliner, cruise/tilt, aluminum wheels. Mileage is high, but overall in good, clean condition. Paint glows in dark, no signs of french fry invasions or terrorist attacks at Walmart, no dings, just a couple of light scratches. Looks to be a local trade, with one prior owner, carfax is clean.

Other: We''ve had a good experience with this dealer in the past, got a 2002 Bonneville from them last year...no problems and the price was right. They are a small independent privately owned company with around 40-50 vehicles, mostly trucks, on the lot at any given time. But not a BHPH place. Also, he's been in business around 20 years and has a good reputation in the community. No pressure, friendly sales staff and feel comfortable buying from them again. All their vehicles are backed with a 3-month, 3k mile warranty.

Also,

I would like to get some realistic numbers for the following vechicle I own. Due to it's high mileage and age, I plan to sell it on my own after a good detail. I'm the original owner, bought new in Nov '94.

Huntsville, Alabama
    1995 Honda Accord
    EX 4 dr sedan
    2.2 liter, 4 cylinder, handshaker
    138k miles
    Dark green, with tan leather interior
    A/C, power windows, door locks, seats and mirrors; cruise/tilt, power slider, new JVS cd player installed 6 months ago, allow wheels, wood grain option near manual gear shift /radio console area

Condition: New tires installed about 12k miles ago, new brakes 6k miles ago, driver side window motor replaced a couple of months ago. All routine maintenance is up-to-date and oil changes every 3-5k miles. Suggested maintenance by manufacturer not yet performed includes a new water pump and timing belt, but car still drives great and shows no symptoms/indication that these items are in need of repairing. If I planned on keeping it, I would definitely get these items replaced, but YIKES. I have all service records. Car has been great. Other than oil changes, tires, and the occasional battery, the only major repair was a new starter about 5 years ago.

Other: Exterior...small ding in rear left corner panel near trunk (size of my hand) where I hit a light pole backing out of a long driveway about 7 years ago. Otherwise, just a few light scratches, but no rust. Interior...it's a smoker's car, but ashtray was never used and leather interior helps some. Wood grain console is starting to peel due to sun exposure, driver side seat is worn with some minor cracks in leather. Rest of interior looks good given it's age.

I plan to have the Honda detailed and try to sell it on my own. Is $3,900 realistic to ask private party? And if I did get a bite from the dealer, what can I expect...$2k if I'm lucky?
    I know there is no market for a 138k, 11-yr old anything on a car lot.

Thank you for your time, for making me laugh, and telling jolie? to stay away from car lots.. You do a great service on this forum and are very much appreciated. :)

Peace,
    Lara
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,145
    Have you ever had the timing belt replaced? If not, you are on borrowed time, and at least 50K miles past when you should have replaced it...

If you are trading in, no big deal... but, any informed private party will drop $500 off the price, just for that needed repair..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,946
    AHA!
    Thanks a bunch, Terry.
    So I'm going to now assume that dealer has all the cheap cars because they all have bad histories.

I appreciate it VERY much.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

I think this might be a good compromise between economical and maybe still a halfway decent car (??)

'00 S40 automatic
    65K miles
    cloth seats, no slider, but does have the bun warmers
    same dealer i bought my s70 from is asking $8550 for this baby illegitimate brother.

what ya think?

I'm thinking my volvo and $3K difference might be tempting .... hinging on the wife's approval, of course.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

I seem to remember the '01 having significant upgrades from the '00....

No slider and cloth? Not sure I'd want to trade a Volvo you already own plus more money for another Volvo out of warranty.... I'm not wild about the 1st Gen S40s, anyway...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• jaserbjaserb Member Posts: 820
    It spends half its time in the shop, and Volvo can't make it right. A Protege5 or Impreza wagon is probably a better car all the way around, and really isn't any smaller inside. Just remember, the old V/S40s are really just a Mitsubishi that wasn't good enough for Mitsu to sell here.

-Jason
    oh, i know its just a Charisma underneath it all.

i checked one of my favorite volvo boards and didn't see anyone jumping up and down screaming about it being a piece of junk. Maybe yer coworker should spread the word more ... or maybe he's just got himself a problematic vehicle ... even Honda has their share of problematic vehicles.

I want a P5, personally, but the wife is all about safety and, although i know there isn't a big difference in the cars in a crash, she feels better about the volvo name. And, if you are married, you know there are some (most) arguments you can't win or just aren't worth pursuing.

Anyway, the wife just went by that dealership and didn't find the car there. Oh well. I'd still like to know what its worth, though, Terry, when u get a sec. Thanks!

• dkuhajdadkuhajda Member Posts: 487
    Definitely get the timing belt replaced. If it goes, you or the future buyer may be looking at a new engine!!!!!

If the maintenance were up to date and the car was ready to go, $3000 would not be out of line even for the handshaker and the miles. Asking $3,900.

As it sits, any buyer who knows the car will have some serious maintenance to get it up to par. Maybe $2000 out the door as is with full disclosure.
    Borrowed time...I know, I know.
    Thanks for the input. Think I will get it replaced. Feels like I'm sitting on a time bomb.
  • woodywwwoodyww Member Posts: 1,806
    I agree about the *1st Gen S40s*, & V40's. My ex-wife traded a '95 Volvo 850 for an '00 V40. I drove them both, & liked the 850 (with 100K+ miles) WAY better--better seats, way more "solid", etc. As far as the 1st Gen S40-V40, I was thinking, why not just get an Accord, Subaru, etc.....
    I've shopped TL's a little bit. What do the people on the TL boards say? Very hard to get a "deal" on slightly used TL's IMO as they don't depreciate much. Which makes it a great choice to just buy/order a brand new one. BTW, don't string this car shopping out too long, is my advice.....you're skating on thin ice already it sounds like.....for $700? come on, spring for the new one!

*My long-term car hunt continues and my wife is getting frustrated with my indecision.*
  • metro123metro123 Member Posts: 100
    Went to the local BMW dealer in Ft.Lauderdale the other day and happened on what seemed like an interesting deal. Certified pre-owned 2002 745i, 40K on the clock. Silver with black interior. All the goodies. Car was as near mint condition as I've seen. 6 year, 100K mile bumper to bumper warranty from BMW included at no charge. They are also running a special 2.9% financing up to 5 years. Carfax shows it was a lease return. I know these cars were problematic but according to the salesman the problems have been fixed with a software upgrade. They were asking $51,000 for the car but with almost no negotiation I had them down to $45,000. Thoughts?
    Update...test drove the '03 Dakota. Drove nice, sharp truck. Pulled slightly to the right thinking it may need an alignment. No leaks or funny stuff under the hood. All service records were in the glove box, regular maintenance performed on schedule, including some warranty work. Owner paid $25,6k for it new in 5/03. No dents, only a couple of minor scratches not even worth mentioning. It's a 1-owner truck just traded in 4 days ago.

Dealer was asking $14,990+taxes. I offered $12,900 OTD. He countered with $13,990+tax (about $14,4k OTD). I told him I would be in touch, but don't think I can meet that. We were close, but no enchilada. Should I just keep looking or should I meet him halfway with $13,6k OTD?

Edmunds TMV shows...
    $12,016 trade-in
    $13,187 private party
    $15,237 dealer retail

NADA was much higher..and was what dealer showed me
    $14,800 trade-in
    $17,900 dealer retail

Yeah, I know these are only guides.

Correction on Honda mileage...it's 130k, not 138k as originally stated. Shouldn't really make a difference, it's still alot of miles and it's old. LOL
    my s70 with 110K miles feels nowhere even remotely close to "solid" anymore.

As a new car, I agree with the previous gen s40 vs. Cam-cord. But, as a used vehicle, the S40s are a bit cheaper than comparable Cam-cords, and you get climate control and heated seats as an added bonus.

• frankygfrankyg Member Posts: 32
    Still need real world trade in value on the 00 Quad Dakota. NADA is $13,800 & KBB is $9,800. Which does the dealer use??? :confuse:

Thanks
  • paulieppauliep Member Posts: 19
    In Southern Cal
    a 1998 Volvo S90
    4 door sedan, special edition with nicer wheels and leather and suede interior
    3 liter 6 cylinder, auto, rwd
    67,000 miles
    silver color
    moonroof, leather, alloys, cd player
    nice condition, good paint, clean interior, no accidents, new brakes, Michelin tires 30% worn, all maintenance up to date

never smoked in, always garaged, a very nice car.

Looking to sell it to a private party. Any help in valuing it appreciated.
  • volvodan1volvodan1 Member Posts: 188
    Terry will tell you the deal on the Dakota........ but if it's what you are looking for, been maintained w/ service records, in good shape, etc. go for it! Offer something in the middle and take what his counter is.

"but don't think I can meet that." Why? Because of Edmunds, NADA, etc. Check w/ Terry then go buy it!
  • ronsteveronsteve Member Posts: 1,195
    Waaaayyy back in June, you said of my '02 Accord Coupe...

....then trade side, in and around the mid/tall $12's, might maybe get a dealer to travel towards the low low low low $13's depending on the barometric pressure and what moon phase we are in ....

Of course, that's when I was thinkin Saab. Somewhere in this parade of hurricanes that all stayed away from NC, the winds of change shifted my attention to the Acura TSX. Actually had a test-drive Friday before last, and without actually playing hardball, the sales manager's first number on my Accord was $13,5. (Mind you, I was not inclined to negotiate trade until after negotiating a new car price, but they wanted to look, and put this number on the table first thing). I figured if anyone would travel into the 13s, it would be a Honda/Acura store, but I'd hope he wasn't using up all his "room" in the deal there.

But... an attack of long-term fiscal responsibility makes me hesitate to go back. Otherwse I'd really love to pull the trigger if the numbers on the new side worked out too. And I will admit, I've started to flog my Accord just a bit to remind myself that it can be fun... tho still not as much fun as that TSX 6-speed.

That said, Terry, I'm sure I'll be back in here sometime. :shades:

--Ron
    2015 Acura RDX AWD / 2021 VW TIguan SE 4Motion
  • heyjewelheyjewel Member Posts: 1,046
    1997 Lincoln Continental, 4.6L V8, Auto, FWD
    65000 miles. Very well maintained. Beautiful inside and out. Pearly white on beige.
    Brand new tires. Has all the goodies incl cassette and CD changer and moonroof.
    Being sold by an Acura dealer, price is $5993 which is about $3K under KBB.
    We're in SF Bay Area.
    Any thoughts on real value? Why dealer selling so cheap?
    Thanks
    Terry will tell you the deal on the Dakota........ but if it's what you are looking for,

Is it not such a good buy? Whatever I buy, I plan to keep for the next 5-7 years, so reliability is a huge factor. If I can do better, I'm open to suggestions.

"but don't think I can meet that." Why? Because of Edmunds, NADA, etc.

Not b/c of Edmunds or anything, just financially. Planning to pay cash, and that's all da money. I can finance if I choose, good credit record and everything...just don't want to go that route. Crazy to some in this day and age, but we pay cash for everything. Only debt is the mortgage and credit cards are paid off each month. Sure we could take the popular route and finance everything, but that's why people end up living hand to mouth, paycheck to paycheck. Been there and no thanks.
  • corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,265
    ...according to the salesman the problems have been fixed with a software upgrade.

Sounds like this link 2005 Acura RL...

"The Carfax and the title are clean but as a courtesy Acura took the car back because the owner had trouble with the battery going dead in the Keyless Access System."

Well, it's in Arizona now, and it still has the snow tires on it from wherever it came from... I saw this a couple of days ago and wanted to post it because it's the hinkiest thing I've seen on eBay above $15,000...

As for the 7-series, they have a bad reputation for a reason. I wouldn't buy one used without the CPO and Full Maintenance upgrade, and unless I lived in a state with a used car lemon law. Even then, you will probably want to plan on replacing it after 60,000 more miles. Good luck.
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,168
    Hey Terry

I just bought a car...but I'll post it here just to see what you think:

Seattle

98 Mercedes C43, V8 sedan of course

54K miles, 1 local owner/bought new at local MB dealer

Silver with black/silver interior

It has xenons and CD changer, the only options avaliable

Not a ding or dent on the car, a few minor parking/shrubbery scratches, which dealer is removing

Brand new Yokohama tires with 0 miles on them

All maintenance up to date. No prior damage.

I paid 19K for it.

Is this good? The cars are so rare the market is hard to define.
    Looks hokey. I would like to see the carfax on the vin yet tonight on this one.
  • dbell1dbell1 Member Posts: 40
    I was offered $6500 from Toyota. Walked out. They tried telling me the KBB Dealer price was what I'd get if I sold it myself. :P They also pulled the "We'll give you another $1000 just to show we're nice people" line.

Tonight, the Ford dealer offered $10,000 for it. I'm seriously considering it, but will check another dealer on Friday.

Here's the details:

Year 2001, Jeep Cherokee, SE, Red
    Mileage: 29, 400 (yep, wasn't driven much by original owner, 18,000 miles on it when purchased 1 year ago).
    4.0, V6 Engine
    4 Door Wagon, PW, PB, A/C, Power Door, Alarm, AM/FM/Cassette/CD
    Tinted Windows, Roof Rack, 4WD (Sport Package)
    Brand new tires on it, brand new spare - 3 months old, 2,000 miles on them.
    Brakes just serviced 2 months ago.

Have all original owner's service records and all of mine. Have Carfax from when purchased (7/04) and it was clean. Purchased new windshied in 8/04 due to crack.

Accident: 2/05 - t-boned a Honda Civic. $3,000 of brand new replacement parts by authorized dealer (who fought the insurance company to get them due to vehicle condition). Back in mint condition, one ding in plastic bumper

Interior - no rips, stains.

Any feedback from anyone is appreciated. TIA! :)
    Since when is:

http://www.edmunds.com/used/1991/acura/integra/18131/options.html?tmvaction=vdpresult&tid=- - edmunds.u.options.utmv.vdpoption.1.Acura*

a 15 year-old base Integra automatic @ $1000 over 'clean' private retail a 'great deal'? Aye yi yi, and I have the feeling this unit isn't as nice as the seller thinks it is, not that he said much (a car that old rarely is):

http://chicago.craigslist.org/car/91701722.html
  • rroyce10rroyce10 Member Posts: 9,332
    .. **.. about what someone paid for a "leftover" '04 Cayenne Turbo.. I was just wondering what these were going for at the auctions, in comparison to what they paid..
    Porsche Cayenne: Prices Paid** ...
    ==============================

Well ........ these ain't the hottest things invented by man, and depending on the color, I'm sure the dealer wanted this one gone with the 06's riding on the transports and spending $400+ a month on floorplan --
    **2004 CT with ~ 500 mi. The warranty started when I received the car so it is essentially new. The MSRP was $98,215. The invoice was $84,926.
    The car was offered at $79,000. I offered $75,000 over the phone and in about 20min the offer was accepted. The dealership was Park Place in Dallas** ..

I'm not sure of the "correct" MSRP/invoice on this particular one .. but they did have $5,000 in "trunk money" and another $1,500 in value pricing, and that was probably consumed in just keeping it on the ground ..... they probably pulled the plug at a loss because the 04 "T"'s aren't seeing much more than $65/$67 at the auctions with 5/6k, and they better be "in the wrapper" and glow in the dark, put a few miles on these dudes and you're seeing the $50's .....

Terry :shades:
    ...... Sorry Andy ....

No Ad's ...............................

Terry.
  • steine13steine13 Member Posts: 2,818
    I dunno about "great deal", and I wouldn't pay it, but the miles are low, and if it isn't rusted or otherwise rotted out, the guy will see $2k, or $1,900 so it sounds better....
    These cars have a lot of friends.

Speaking of deals, I got a 17' Old Town Penobscot in really nice shape for $450 :P
    Now I've got 4 canoes... I'll need a trailer... and a vehicle that can pull it... hmmm... anybody got Jolie's phone numer? :P

-Mahtias
    My long-term car hunt continues and my wife is getting frustrated with my indecision. Is there a chronic car-shopper's anonymous?
    How about a retail price on this guy:
    Year/Make/Model: 2005 Acura TL
    Body Style: Sedan
    Engine: 3.2 Liter v6
    Driveline: FWD, Automatic
    Mileage: 5100
    Color: Dark Gray outside, dark gray inside ("Anthracite and Quartz")
    Major Options: Navigation is the only option, as these guys come fully loaded
    Condition:
    Nearly new in all ways. Only has 5.1K miles and it looks good. I can't find anything wrong.
    Certified pre-owned.
    TMV is about 33,200 (without the cpo), but carsdirect sells brand new ones for only $700 more. The dealer is asking 34K. How low can he go?
    I'm hoping "a lot lower" so I won't have any excuse to be indecisive.
    ===================================

Nice vehicles .... this one has no miles and the right color .. (trade/auction bought.?) ...... if it's a clean vehicle, no paint by numbers, no curb burners and no Swiss Army knife interior ... then the dealer probably paid in and around the tall $28's low low low $29ish figure for it ... add a this and that, and it probably hits the table in the tall $29ish figure ....

$34.? .. he ain't trying to kill anyone, but $31,9 would be about all of it .. and paying for a CPO on a 5k TL is like paying to see the same movie twice .. it's a waste of money, wait for it to hit cable ..l.o.l.....

Terry ;)
  • mark156mark156 Member Posts: 1,915
    If you were to purchase that car (even at a wonderful deal) you would have to pay at least $300 a month to garage it in Chicago!

My best friend lived in downtown Chicago for 7/8 years and the garage fee was almost as much as his car payment. He ended up moving to Schaumberg closer to his office.

Mark
    2010 Land Rover LR4, 2013 Honda CR-V, 2009 Bentley GTC, 1990 MB 500SL, 2001 MB S500, 2007 Lincoln TC, 1964 RR Silver Cloud III, 1995 MB E320 Cab., 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach
    Hi Terry,

A small dealership has the following vehicle that has peaked my interest. What say you on a realistic counter offer? I am a cash buyer, would $13,2k be too low? His advertised price is $14,990.

Huntsville, Alabama
    2003 Dodge Dakota
    Quad Cab
    SLT Laramie 2WD
    4.7 liter, V8 magnum, automatic
    62,000 miles
    Dark blue/silver on bottom exterior, grey leather interior

Options/Condition: It's got A/C and is loaded...leather interior, power windows, door locks, windows, and seats; spray in line-x bedliner, cruise/tilt, aluminum wheels. Mileage is high, but overall in good, clean condition. Paint glows in dark, no signs of french fry invasions or terrorist attacks at Walmart, no dings, just a couple of light scratches. Is a local 1-owner, carfax is clean. Drives nice, no leaks or funny things going on under the hood. All service records were available for inspection and routine maintenance, including warranty work, has been performed. New 16" michelins put on about 12k miles ago...tread is good with about 75% life left.

Other: We''ve had a good experience with this dealer in the past, got a 2002 Bonneville from them last year...no problems and the price was right. They are a small independent privately owned company with around 40-50 vehicles, mostly trucks, on the lot at any given time. But not a BHPH place. Also, he's been in business around 20 years and has a good reputation in the community. No pressure, friendly sales staff and feel comfortable buying from them again. All their vehicles are backed with a 3-month, 3k mile warranty.

Also,

I would like to get some realistic numbers for the following vechicle I own. Due to it's high mileage and age, I plan to sell it on my own after a good detail. I'm the original owner, bought new in Nov '94.

Huntsville, Alabama
    1995 Honda Accord
    EX 4 dr sedan
    2.2 liter, 4 cylinder, handshaker
    130k miles
    Dark green, with tan leather interior
    A/C, power windows, door locks, seats and mirrors; cruise/tilt, power slider, new JVS cd player installed 6 months ago, allow wheels, wood grain option near manual gear shift /radio console area

Condition: New tires installed about 12k miles ago, new brakes 6k miles ago, driver side window motor replaced a couple of months ago. All routine maintenance is up-to-date and oil changes every 3-5k miles. Suggested maintenance by manufacturer not yet performed includes a new water pump and timing belt, but car still drives great and shows no symptoms/indication that these items are in need of repairing. If I planned on keeping it, I would definitely get these items replaced, but YIKES. May still get the timing belt replaced regardless, seems like the right thing to do. I have all service records. Car has been great. Other than oil changes, tires, and the occasional battery, the only major repair was a new starter about 5 years ago.

Other: Exterior...small ding in rear left corner panel near trunk (size of my hand) where I bumped a light pole (at a speed of about 5mph) backing out of a long driveway about 7 years ago (it was dark and light was out). Otherwise, just a few light scratches, but no rust. Interior...it's a smoker's car, but ashtray was never used and leather interior helps some. Wood grain console is starting to peel due to sun exposure, driver side seat is worn with some minor cracks in leather. Rest of interior looks good given it's age.

I plan to have the Honda detailed and try to sell it on my own. Is $3,900 realistic to ask private party? And if I did get a bite from the dealer, what can I expect...$2k if I'm lucky?
    I know there is no market for a 130k, 11-yr old anything on a car lot.

Thank you for your time, for making me laugh, and telling jolie? to stay away from car lots.. You do a great service on this forum and are very much appreciated. :)

Peace,
    Lara
    I guess if the low-mile '04 CTs are pulling $65K-$67K at the auction, he didn't do too bad paying $75K for a brand-new one with full warranty...

Thanks for the update...

Anyway.... getting an itchy trigger finger...

'03 BMW 325i sedan
    Steel Blue/Black leather
    Sport package
    Premium package
    Automatic
    Bun warmers
    Xenons
    HK audio
    33K miles
    Tires only have 8K on them.
    Interior/Exterior condition very good for an '03.
    Non-smoker
    In Bengals country..

Private party and trade-in price?

Oh yeah... don't tell the wife I asked.... it is her car..

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• keralykeraly Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2005 Audi A4 3.0 Convertible (Cabriolet) with 4800 miles. The car is in immaculate condition...However, circumstances are forcing me to trade for a slightly older highline vehicle. Any thoughts/suggestions on the value of this car if I approach a dealership or auto broker. Thanks so much. PS. Has premium package, premium sound: Bose (including sirius satellite radio), 17" premium wheels (Pirelli), xenons and heated seats. Black ext/Blk top/Tan interior

regards,

kerry
  • zodiac2004zodiac2004 Member Posts: 458
    Before you frustrate the experts here post all relevant info about your car

Suggested Information for posting trade-in values:
    Year/Make/Model:
    Body Style: [2dr/4dr/wagon]
    Engine: [3.5 liter, 4/6 cylinder, auto/manual]
    Driveline: [FWD/RWD/AWD/4WD]
    Mileage:
    Color: [exterior/interior]
    Major Options: [alloys, sun roof, etc.]
    Condition:
    Details of interior and exterior, including dings, scratches etc.
    Tires - new or % worn
    Brakes
    Maintenance
    Other: Indicate prior damage/insurance claims, repaints, etc.
    ...the thing about Chicago is that most 'out of towners' tend to end up living in the touristy/downtown neighborhoods, where everything is terribly expensive (Gold Coast/Streeterville, where all the shopping centers are, or Lincoln Park or the south Loop, and parts of Lakeview). Most people are trained, whether by real estate sales people, 'tourist magazines' like Chicago, or just by simple ignorance/lack of knowledge. These entities would have you believe that you'll be marooned or murdered if you live west of Halsted. I live in West Lakeview, a very safe, nice neighborhood, not too far out (~5 miles from the central Loop as the crow flies, still about 30 minutes by public transportation) and I park for free on the street, without drama or tickets, in front of my place every day. Chicago is one of the few cities, if you stay away from the lake, where it is very easy to own a car, and very easy to not own a car, I guess that's why I vacilate between the two so much!
    Someone else here has often said that Hondas often get stupid money, especially maintained clean one. Even if they have what seems like high miles, just not miles in the stratosphere.
    We have two wonderful ones listed in our autotrader.
    2001 Hyundai Accent GS base, 138K miles, $4,000!!!! Smells like a stale cigarette. Owner owes the $4,000, yikes!!!!
    1986 Hyundai Excel (yes still running with all its parts), 58K, $1900!!!!!

Both are at best $1000 winter drivers.
    It's been driven an average 12k/year...totally normal. Mileage is going to be high, dude; it's an 11-year old car. I've seen cars less than 5 years old with higher mileage than mine. Just trying to get a realistic figure, that is all.
  • michlmmichlm Member Posts: 1
    I would appreciate a real-world valuation on the following that I plan to trade-in:

Southern California
    2001 Acura MDX Touring w/ Navigation
    4dr SUV
    6cyl auto
    AWD
    63,000 miles
    Silver exterior, black leather interior
    Exterior is clean except for scratch over rear right fender
    Interior is clean except for small car seat rip in second row seating
    Two tires are 95% new, two are 50%
    We are second owners, have good maintenance history
    Carfax clean

Thanks for any input.
  • keralykeraly Member Posts: 3
    Gainesville, FL
    2005 Audi A4 3.0 Cabriolet
    3.0L 220hp V6 CVT
    FWD
    4800 miles
    Black/Beige
    Options: leather, premium pkg, premium bose sound, sirius satellite radio, xenon lights, 17"alloy wheels,
    Excellent condition
    Tires...new
    Brakes..new
    1st owner...Getting ready for 5k maintenance
    Other: Carfax clean

I would greatly appreciate if someone could please respond for trade value...thank you
    My dad has a ~2001 (may even be a 2000) Hyundai Accent stick hatchback, I'm certain it has more miles than that by now (he's a traveling solar energy consultant). Not a car I'd choose by any means, but I think he's gotten his $10k or whatever out of it by now. Good thing, given what it's worth now!
  • kate61880kate61880 Member Posts: 3
    I am trying to trade in my car and have gotten many different values for it on the web and in person. Could you please help me.
    Orlando
    2002 Toyota Solara SE coupe 2 dr
    4 cylinder automatic
    FWD
    62,500 miles
    Red/Beige cloth
    alloy wheels, sunroof, JBL sound system, power driver seat, rear spoiler, tinted windows, CD/AM/FM
    A couple of door dings and scratches, normal wear and tear, cigarette burn in back seat(size of a dime)
    tires are brand new
    it is a lease so, new battery recently, oil changes, brake pads/rotors replaced
    no ins. claims or accidents
    NADA trade in-$11,425
    Kelly Blue book trade in-$7,780
    Edmunds TMV trade in-$9,549
    Dealers have said between $6,500-$8,500

Plus all the retail and private party values listed everywhere. I just want to know what is fair and reasonable and what to expect.

Thanks so much
  • bidyutbidyut Member Posts: 18
    Year/Make/Model: 1998/Mitsubishi Eclipse GS (non-turbo)
    Body Style: 2dr
    Engine: 2.0liter, 4 cylinder, auto
    Driveline: FWD
    Mileage: 76000
    Color: black exterior, grey interior
    Major Options: infinity speakers, cd + tape, alloy wheels, power everything, sunroof
    Condition:
    Bumper is torn at the bottom and bent, minor scratches
    Tires - Toyo tires changed 6 months ago
    Brakes - changed during 60K mile service
    Maintenance: all services and oil changes are done
    Other: Two accidents, repaired under insurance

Thanks
    Oh, man.....this is the first year of the "Bangle-Butt" 7 Series, right? A lot of bmw fanatics hate those (E65's). And I've seen Terry talk about what awful resale they have. There are a lot of choices out there for $45K, most of them better than this, IMO. Heck, there's a lot of nice slightly used Euro-sedans you could buy @2 for $45K.....then there's the black interior in FL issue.....(good if you want to fry eggs on the seats tho).

*Went to the local BMW dealer in Ft.Lauderdale the other day and happened on what seemed like an interesting deal.*
  • chris_txchris_tx Member Posts: 15
    How much should we ask for:

2002 Ford Ranger XLT SuperCab
    Dark Blue/Gray cloth
    26,000 miles
    bed liner
    chrome wheels with good tire tread left
    nearly perfect condition
    AM/FM/CD/XM
    PW/PL, etc.
    It does NOT have the swing out rear door(s)

Thanks, Chris
  • steine13steine13 Member Posts: 2,818
    You're gonna have to try a leeetle harder.

2.3l four ? 3.0 or 4.0 V6?
    transmission?
    2wd or 4wd?

You have a factor of two swing in value depending on those factors.

-Mathias