Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Subaru Crew Photo Gallery

Comments

• Options
    fibber2fibber2 Member Posts: 3,786
    Just saw your baby, Loosh. Very cool. I missed out on those early days with our two. Heck, with Annie, we missed most of her first year. Yet I can barely remember a time without them.

OK, you know what I find most interesting? A whole 'room full' of men here, talking about babies, diapers, breast and bottle feeding, etc. Somehow, I just cannot imagine my dad, who is a pretty great guy, doing this during the 1950's. Oh, how times have changed.... (for the better).
  • Options
    lucien2lucien2 Member Posts: 2,984
    heh yea I guess you're right about that!
  • Options
    locke2clocke2c Member Posts: 5,038
    my dad was born in 1956! LOL

~Colin
  • Options
    hammerheadhammerhead Member Posts: 907
    so was I, Colin :)

Cheers!
    Paul
  • Options
    kenskens Member Posts: 5,869
    We're such a progressive group here. ;-)

Ken
  • Options
    hondafriekhondafriek Member Posts: 2,984
    Think in all of the net this is a pretty unique group. From celebrating other members good times and fortunes to commiserating with other members in bad and trying times, this pretty much speaks for itself.

It is more like an extended family you even get the odd squabble thrown in just to keep us on a level keel.

Cheers Pat.
  • Options
    lilbluewgn02lilbluewgn02 Member Posts: 1,089
    I was still a 6-year old boy learning to speak English then. Both my brother and I were born in Paris and my family came to the US in November 55 on the original Queen Elizabeth from LeHavre. I was the only one who didn't get seasick on the 5-day trip across the Atlantic.
    We stayed with cousins in the Bronx for the first 6 weeks in America, then found a place in Washington Heights (the northern end of Manhattan).
    I remember that when we rode in the subway and my parents would speak Yiddish to each other, I would tell them that they needed to speak English since this was America...what did I know? Now I'm sorry that I don't know Yiddish other than a few words here and there.
  • Options
    c_hunterc_hunter Member Posts: 4,487
    Here are some pics from our weekend vacation, including the new OB XT. The last two show my new dent, and where I was parked.

http://members.cox.net/craig.hunter/sh04/

I used a claybar to take off most of the paint and scuff from the other car, and now it's mainly a fist sized dent and a finger sized crease. I am optimistic that the Dent Doctor can fix the rest.

Craig
  • Options
    Looks like you are missing some paint Craig, also you have a crease, dents they can handle a crease is something else.

I hope they can help but I have my doubts.

Cheers Pat.
  • Options
    tsytsy Member Posts: 1,551
    Whatever dinged your car must have been pretty low to the ground. Maybe someone's bumper? Were you parked by a turn? Hope it comes out.

Nice pics, you must be the one with the glasses. ;-)

Maybe you could get your photo in the next issue of Drive!

tom
  • Options
    Yeah, it was definitely a bumper ding; couldn't tell what color the other car was -- the paint sort of crumbled into dust when I picked it off. Kind of odd. I was parked on the side of a one-way drive in front of the hotel. As you can see in the pic it was very wide. I am thinking somebody tried to back out and got askew or something. That's what I get for picking what appeared to be a safe shady spot...

After claying, the only part that is missing paint is the lower cladding, where the black plastic is barely peeking through. I will either have it airbrushed or use touchup. It's a really small scratch at this point.

Lets hope the dent doctor can work some magic. They were able to take a smaller crease out of my WRX (that went across a body line no less), so I am hopeful. The one problem could be the door beams, which are right in that area and may get in the way...

Craig
  • Options
    I agree, looks like a low blue vehicle did it. definitely not a truck.

definitely going to need paint too, Pat is right.

~c
  • Options
    p0926p0926 Member Posts: 4,423
    Craig- Nice pics of the Skyline Drive (and surrounding environs). A really great fall drive is to traverse both the Skyline and Blue Ridge Parkway.

-Frank

P.S. Bummer about the dent and good luck with getting it fixed.
  • Options
    We did a portion of the BRP -- I wanted to jet down to the Wintergreen Ski area and look at their new lift (which will either enhance or ruin the expert area, depending on your perspective). So we went straight at the bottom end of Skyline Drive and took the BRP. Real nice drive. Someday I will try to do the whole continuous route.

Craig
  • Options
    p0926p0926 Member Posts: 4,423
    Craig- The southern portion of the BRP is the most spectacular (highest elevations etc) but then I'm biased as that's where I grew up :-)

-Frank
  • Options
    kenskens Member Posts: 5,869
    Craig,

I would also see if paintless dent removal can fix it first. Even if they can't completely repair it, it might be to the point where it's barely noticeable.

Nice photos, by the way. Looks like you had some great weather.

Ken
  • Options
    Claybar made it look much better already. I have an appt for a quote at Dent Doctor on Friday. Assuming they can get to the dent from inside the door, I think they can probably fix it completely. That would be a major load off my mind! From that point, I can fill in the scratch on the lower cladding with touchup and Langka, or maybe just have it airbrushed.

I also found out that my deductable goes down to $200 for hit-and-run. So if the total cost goes much over $200, I'll claim it on insurance.

Craig
  • Options
    fibber2fibber2 Member Posts: 3,786
    Funny - I was born a year later. So I guess Paul or I could be your daddy!!!

Steve
  • Options
    hey, but I respect my elders! :)

~c
  • Options
    hypovhypov Member Posts: 3,068
    c_hunter Oct 12, 2004 10:19pm

Give the dry-ice over the dent fix a try :)

-Dave
  • Options
    What't the dry ice do??

I went to the dent doctor this morning. They did a pretty good job minimizing the dents, but it's still noticeable from shallow angles sighting down the side of the car (you can see ripples in the reflection off the paint). From side views you can't even tell the car was damaged. So it's probably good for most people, but my OCD is too sensitive. And damned if it isn't on the drivers door where I will see it every day.... Actually, at this point, I need mental help to finish the repair! We joke about OCD, but this event has me thinking I really have it....

Craig
  • Options
    hypovhypov Member Posts: 3,068
    I've read that supposedly it'll pop most dents.
    Heat the dented area or after seating in the sun then put the dry ice over the dent.
    I haven't gotten to try on my dents...
    couldn't buy anything smaller than a 25 lbs. block/slab. :(

-Dave
  • Options
    subearusubearu Member Posts: 3,613
  • Options
    bluesubiebluesubie Member Posts: 3,497
    FXT owners and bigelm aren't allowed to play. ;-p It's not the tint.

That's mrs. bluesubie reading a book in there.

-Dennis
  • Options
    dcm61dcm61 Member Posts: 1,567
    Nice wheels and tires. :-)

DaveM
  • Options
    Nice, what kind of wheels?

What beach are you guys at?

Craig
  • Options
    I thought it would be tougher. :-) I've seen folks on other boards that thought they were stock 16's on other Foresters. I should know better because of you eagle eyes here on Edmunds. :-D

They're UK Forester options, made by Speedline, that I purchased from CC-B automotive. http://www.cc-b.com/ . I contacted them after I saw a post on nabisco about a WRX Euro 17 group buy.
    They used to be sold by Tire Rack, but Speedline got out of the aftermarket wheel business (or so I heard). Tires are Pilot Sport A/S's in 225/55/17 (very close fit). I would have loved to have gone with a summer tire but, as you can see, I need something a little more diverse.

So far I LOVE the tires. That probably goes without saying though. :-) The beach is Island Beach State Park in NJ. I was surprised that they were much better than the Geo's in the sand. Probably due to the wider footprint and there was rain the day before to pack down the sand.

-Dennis
  • Options
    bigelmbigelm Member Posts: 995
    That was just way toooooooo easy :p
  • Options
    Ok, so it must've been a nOOb that thought those were 16's on another Forester. ;-p

-Dennis
  • Options
    bigelmbigelm Member Posts: 995
    Looks like a CD... LOL!
  • Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Looks very clean, not surprised they are stock on UK Foresters.

Nice!

-juice
  • Options
    Tell me more about the tires -- how are they on the highway as far as noise/comfort?

I'll probably get those tires for my OB XT, same size too. One thing holding me back is the cost, about $190 each at TireRack. Pirelli P-ZeroNero is another good option ($125), but I'd have to size up to 235/55-17, just slightly wider (the difference in diameter is not a problem, it's the extra 1/2" width I am wondering about). So I may bite the bullet and get the Michelins just to be done with it...

It would be great to hear any feedback you have about the tires, as detailed as you care to get.

thanks,
    Craig
  • Options
    lark6lark6 Member Posts: 2,565
    Sweet look with the UK 17"s - such a subtle difference yet noticeable to the cognoscenti. Almost like a Prodrive Performance Pack or WRSport car. In fact, those wheels are what the guys at Prodrive UK recommended I use on my old Forester as they were standard kit for the first-gen WRSport package cars. I couldn't find them at the time so I went with their second recommendation, the OZ Superleggera.

I can't help but think I've seen those tires used on another FXT though...;-)

Ed
  • Options
    Moving discussion to Modifications to revive that thread. Ed, head over there for your $.02. :-)

-Dennis
  • Options
    rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    I've always felt the stock Forester "looked" a bit under-tired. Those look just right, not too big or too small.

Bob
  • Options
    paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    Now you need some RacingBrake Rotors and 4-pot calipers on there :)

-mike
  • Options
    Craig, we both have the same problem, if the repair is not perfect then it will drive me insane, especially on the drivers door where I will see it every time I get in the car.

BTW. it doesn't matter if the car is new or 5 years old with me the result is the same, so I am probably worse than you.

Thats the first time I have heard of that use for dry ice, just proves you are never to old to learm something new.

Cheers Pat.
  • Options
    I knew you would understand perfectly! It really is not too bad, but I can feel an ulcer enlarge in my stomach every time I go out to the car (I have to avert my gaze from the door -- too hideous!). In reality, it's damn near invisible from most views, but I know it's there and that's what matters. Oh well, it's just too bad my new car honeymoon ended so soon....

I may make an insurance claim just to be covered in case I decide to get it fully fixed down the road. I could actually get a new door for about $400, which is not too bad compared to the time/labor for having the damage filled and sanded (filler is risky on a door anyway). So I will reserve a full repair as a future option. If nothing else, the insurance money could help offset future $$ penalties if I sell/trade the car with the dents present.

Craig
  • Options
    I was waiting for you to say that. :-)

-Dennis
  • Options
    lark6lark6 Member Posts: 2,565
    Until someone makes a four-pot that fits under the OEM wheels I won't be going that route. With our winter weather I can't see going with 17"s year-round. A higher-performance pad (Hawk? Endless?) and a brace for the master cylinder would be the foreseeable extent for me.

Ed
  • Options
    Funny you should say that. I recently saw a post in nabisco's Tri-State about AZP Installs working with Racing Brake on a smaller 4-pot to fit under the 16's. :-)

-Dennis
  • Options
    Yup, I'm currently testing a set of aluminum 4-pot calipers that are 5lbs lighter each than subaru 4-pots, fit under the OEM 16x6.5" rims, use oem 4-pot pads. Right now I'm running them on my '94 Legacy Turbo, so far so good, other than the HP+ pads have been extremely squeeky, tomorrow we'll be testing various shims to stop the squeeking

-mike
  • Options
    Are they street pads or track pads?

Track pads may just need to warm up. Does the noise fade with use?

-juice
  • Options
    They are HP+ pads which I've used extensively with the Subaru 4-pot calipers as well as the Subaru 2-pot calipers. The noise actually occurs after warmup.

After 4hrs of testing on friday we figured out it was likely a combination of a few items. Mostly it was due to the SS Shims provided by the caliper manufacturer that didn't work very well with our setup. This combined with a slightly taper wear previously on the rotors produced the horrible sqeel. The HP+ pads still squeel slightly but no where near what they did initially and are normal to slightly less than HP+ combined with the Subaru 4-pot calipers.

RacingBrake owner and Chief engineer is working on special shims for the HP+ pads that will actually quiet them down. RacingBrake actually made some of the first shims in the industry back in the early 80s but stopped making them when cheaper parts started being produced overseas for them.

Cool thing about the company is they are small and totally into customer service, where else could a small reseller/racer get one on one sessions with the manufacturer for testing and R&D? I'll hopefully have some pics up later tonight.

I also convinced them to bring their 350z that has special calipers they designed to move them out further and allow a 2-piece larger rotor to fit under them out to the NASA-NE track day at Limerock on Monday Nov 8. Ken from Racingbrake will be driving it in the Novice group and I'll be driving it in the Instructor group. Pretty excited to get some track time with a different car especially one with RWD :) Albeit it's a 5EAT but from the test ride I took on the street it's still pretty powerful!

-mike
  • Options
    Well, since I've only been a member here for 4 years or more, maybe it's about time I let you all in on the deep, dark secret:

http://community.webshots.com/photo/201505105/201521145zvhdLA

After Halloween, maybe I'll take off the mask!

Cheers!
    Paul
    (I'm the one on the right)
  • Options
    and since I'm braggin' about my kids so much...

Mr. Baseball, senior & junior:
    http://community.webshots.com/photo/201505105/201524300ZPoFIf

My baby girl, growing up fast:
    http://community.webshots.com/photo/201505105/204648739Otmozz

Voila... the whole Hammerhead Family!
    Cheers!
    Paul
  • Options
    http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4291908527&p=4134951315- &idx=28

I was Inspector juiceman. Sheriff Bob helped me aprehend "Black Bart", an escaped convict.

The theatrics were fun, and I still have my job! ;-)

-juice
  • Options
    Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    You have a great looking family! How did your boys teams do this year?
  • Options
    Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    Sheriff Bob looks more like Buffalo Bill to me. :-)
  • Options
    tsytsy Member Posts: 1,551
    Nice Pics, Paul. Good thing your daughter takes after your wife! ;-)

Juice- hey, you should have used this pic in the issue of DRIVE. ;-)

tom
This discussion has been closed.