Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Impreza WRX Wagon

Comments

• axp696axp696 Member Posts: 90
    2% over invoice isn't bad by any means, but if you're going to be paying a percentage on financing I don't see a reason not to ask for invoice. More than once when I've been buying a car, I stated I was ready to buy and I wanted invoice price at whatever percent financing they were offering and they declined, so I thanked the rep for his time and got up to leave. It's amazing how quickly they change their minds when you're walking out the door. This might not be a great plan if there's a single Subaru dealer within a 200-mile radius of you, but in general, dealers will be more than happy to have you buying a car at all in this economy.
  • lippoldslippolds Member Posts: 39
    With all the talk of the smaller sway bar in the wagon vs the sedan, has anyone upgraded their wagon to use the larger sedan's swaybar? If so, was there a noticeable difference?

Thanks
  • lippoldslippolds Member Posts: 39
    About a month and a half ago, I paid $200 under invoice for my 2003 wagon and other dealers futher away from me were going even lower. It is a buyers market right now when it comes to cars....
  • merrycynicmerrycynic Member Posts: 340
    Look up Barresa62 in wagon pictures.
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    Almost everyone I know who has a wagon has bought a used rear sedan swaybar for it.

-mike
  • bluesubiebluesubie Member Posts: 3,497
    SubieGal is considering getting a WRX wagon for rallies:

http://www.subiegal.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3

-Dennis

• locke2clocke2c Member Posts: 5,038
    interesting. and "MGXSport" in that discussion is obviously mistaken about the weight distribution (balance) of his OBS.

-Colin
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    She'll find a sponsor, I bet.

-juice
  • merrycynicmerrycynic Member Posts: 340
    Great! Maybe more of this and Subaru will start seriously think about giving us a full boat STi wagon! Gotta love that gal! You go girl!
  • stupendousmanstupendousman Member Posts: 36
    I was one (of the many) who switched to the bigger sway bar on my wagon to match the sedan. I noticed a pretty immediate difference. It became a little more tail happy and doesn't seem to understeer as much. I think the different sway bar is the only difference one can actually feel between the performance of the stock wagon vs. sedan. Just my own opinion though...
  • ponmponm Member Posts: 139
    I upgraded the sway bar on my wagon with the 20mm sedan and really didn't notice much of a difference. Than I got 17 inch wheels and that is when I noticed a large difference. I pulled the 20mm off and put the 17mm back on just for a while to see the difference. A new swaybar and 17inch wheels makes a huge difference on the handling of the wagon. Speaking of which, unforantely I have to sell my wagon. Any takers, its a 2002 with 8000 miles, and of course upgraded wheels, tires and the ole' sway bar. I don't want to get rid of it, but my wife and I feel we already pay to much in car payments and I tried talking her into taking my wagon and getting rid of her jetta. Shes thinks the wrx wagon is ugly and would rather stay with her jetta. Needless to say, Shes keeps her jetta, and I probably get and old beater pickup. Oh well, such is life.
    -scott
  • celica115celica115 Member Posts: 169
    Let your wife drives the WRX in a snow day, and think of The Beauty And The Beast. She may then think the look is not important anymore. lol ...
  • djasonwdjasonw Member Posts: 624
    I had to get rid of my WRX wagon too because of spousal issues. Quotes like... it's ugly and cheap feeling... made me trade it for an allroad. I love the allroad but the wagon in my eyes was very unique indeed. I really miss it... <<sob>>. Try and convince her before it's too late.
  • stupendousmanstupendousman Member Posts: 36
    Funny, I am in the exact same dilemna with my girlfriend. She has a jetta, I have a WRX wagon, and we are thinking that when we get married next year, one of the car payments have to go. Fortunately for me, she agrees that the Jetta get the boot.

How long have you had the Jetta? My girlfriend has had her's for 2 years (35,000 miles or so) and EVERYTHING is falling apart. Just taking it from a reliability, safety standpoint (important issues in her eyes) and the decision is pretty easy for the WRX. I can't wait to dump the VW. My next battle is trying to convince her that we need to replace it with a '96 miata...
  • corkfishcorkfish Member Posts: 537
    A woman in my office leased a Jetta for three years and the car only has a two year warranty! The warranty just expired and she still has a year left on her lease. Unfortunately, the car now needs some expensive repairs so she's paying out of pocket for a car that isn't even hers. I don't know why anybody would buy a VW.
  • p0926p0926 Member Posts: 4,423
    Hi gang, was in a bookstore yesterday thumbing thru the current edition of C&D and found an article on a modded WRX. Don't recall the company's name but they previously specialized in RX-7s and are located in the Bay area. The mod package (M2 WRX) consisted on a new turbo, brakes, wheels/tires and suspension upgrades and costs $12k. HP was upped to 320, skid pad was .9 G's and 0-60 was something like 4.3 sec! What really caught my attention though was C&D's comments on obtaining the 0-60 time. They stated that because of the WRX's AWD system, they really had the slip the clutch to get a fast launch. They said that it took about 10 tries to get the best time and observed that the WRX's clutch must be pretty good cause it appeared no worse for the wear. They made a point of highlighting this fact because, as they pointed out, a clutch upgrade isn't part of the $12k package.

So what gives? (pardon the pun) From what I've been reading, the failure rate of clutches has been higher than normal. I realize that much of these failures can be attributed to severely modified WRXs driven by testosterone poisoned young adult males but still, C&D seems to think the clutch is up to the abuse. Is it just that it takes many more than 10 instances before the clutch is fried?

-Frank P.
    Frank - the company is the same name as the package, M2 Performance.

Road & Track also has a comparo with the Rexes. Stock, one with STi bits and a Tommy Kaira modified 2.2L WRX. They said the dealer STi/SPT optioned WRX was the best bang for the buck. It beat the stock WRX by almost 2 secs. on the track, mainly because of the 17" wheels and STi suspension. It also had the STi shifter and muffler.

-Dennis
    Dennis- Yeah, I saw that article also. R&T liked the STi best because it offered the best compromise between performance and every-day drivability.

-Frank P.
    This is M2's site for anyone that's interested:

http://www.m2performance.com/wrxpackage.htm
  • lark6lark6 Member Posts: 2,565
    Just read that this morning before work. They said the WRX was the best $25K spent on a car or words to that effect. Yet their cover article touts the three retro-cute-mobiles Mini Cooper S, PT Cruiser Turbo and New Beetle Turbo S as the most fun cars under $25K. I'd give them the Mini but that's all. Methinks there's some inconsistency there.

Ed
    FYI- Either C&D or R&T (can't remember which)picked the WRX as one of its "10 Best" again for 2003.

-Frank P.
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    It was C&D.

Bob
    Tasty. $13 grand plus $22k for the donor car is just about $35 grand. You can't beat that performance for the price.

But 18s are not practical at all for DC streets laden with pot holes. My buddy just lost two hub caps and bent one rim from his van with 70 series tires, imagine a WRX with 18s.

And definitely I'd add a Stage Master or ACT clutch to the package.

-juice
  • himilerhimiler Member Posts: 1,209
    The cover story makes a point of mentioning the fact that the Mini, New Beetle and PT Cruiser are all retro-themed designs (as if that matters when you're behind the wheel).

I think they're trying to make a point about how a car's design can be part of the fun. Hmmm. Considering that 2 out of the 3 cars ride on rear beam axles, I'm somewhat mystified, but R&T's editorial style has traditionally been weak.
  • lark6lark6 Member Posts: 2,565
    Agreed, himiler, on all your points. I think the only reason I still subscribe to R&T is for Peter Egan's column. I can relate to his auto restoration articles, even if what I've been restoring is not so exotic as his Porsche 356 or Jaguar E-type. He is entertaining and occasionally humorous.

Ed
  • saintvipersaintviper Member Posts: 177
    I've heard that most new Jettas are made in Mexico. My 4 year old German made Audi A4 has only had 1 very minor problem. (Seat heater fixed under warranty.)

FWIW, I can live without the seat heaters in my WRX wagon, but heated mirrors would be really nice.
    Lots of Golfs are now being made in Brazil, not sure about the Jetta. Check the VIN, I think Mexico means the first digit is 3.

-juice
  • hurler4hurler4 Member Posts: 104
    I have turbo-related questions that have probably been asked a thousand times--how reliable is the turbo, how long will it last if taken care of, and how should it be cared for?
    I test drove a WRX the other day and couldn't wipe the smile off my face. But I had a Ford T-Bird Turbo Coupe a few years ago an the turbo died after 70,000 miles. And I didn't drive it hard at all.
  • WarpDriveWarpDrive Member Posts: 506
    But you have to make sure you keep up with maintenance. Changing the oil properly and often, and don't shut the car off right away after driving it moderately hard. A 1 minute cool down period is still a good idea if you just got off the highway for example....(Subaru claims you don't have to do this but I still think it's a good idea). My friend's 1991 Eagle Talon turbo is still going well at 100,000 miles so there is no inherent time limit about turbos engines.
  • hurler4hurler4 Member Posts: 104
    Thanks, WarpDrive. Is it pretty easy to do regular maintenance on the WRX? I have an Altima now an do all the basics, such as oil change, filter changes, spark plugs, coolant flush, etc. I'd like to keep being able to do that with my next car.
    I think you'll be fine. The turbo will outlast the clutch, and probably lots of other wear and tear stuff like brakes, axle boots, hoses, belts, etc.

Even the early 90s Legacy turbos tended to last. Some had rebuilds done at well over 100k miles.

-juice
    are a bit of a pain to change. You have to move washer bottle, airbox and possibly the battery to get at it. Using a small extension and swivel joint helps a lot, but it's all do-able. I haven't done it myself though. Nothing inherently difficult about the oil change or filter change.
  • saintvipersaintviper Member Posts: 177
    My MR2 turbo had 145,000 miles on it when I sold it. The original turbo had never had any work done on it and was still going strong.

Changing oil and filters on the WRX is about as easy as it can get. That's all I'm willing to attempt myself.
  • j0elboyj0elboy Member Posts: 32
    I had a record-breaking experience with my german-made '99 VW Golf. Owned it 22 months, had 20 dealer visits! Never once did the dealer fix it right the first time, or have the correct parts in stock. I tried 4 different dealers in this area. Finally sued, and dang, they bought it back. That's when I got the '99 forester s....

I am lately dealing with WRX Sportwagon-lust...
    There are quite a few Forester and Legacy owners that downsized for more power. :-)
    Subaru just can't get the rest of the turbos to N. America fast enough!

-Dennis
  • ctwrx1ctwrx1 Member Posts: 34
    My WRX has just over 9000 miles. While changing the oil this weekend I discovered two oil leaks. The valve cover on the driver's side and an alley head flat plug next to the oil pan just started leaking. The valve cover on the passenger side is hidden behind covers so I don't know if there is a third leak. I'm more than a little surprised. I have an appointment with the dealership to have them taken care of. Anyone had oil leaks?
    Haven't heard of any on the WRX.

The Phase I 2.5l had some issues with the front main seals and the gaskets, but not the WRX. I hope it's an anomaly.

-juice
  • celica115celica115 Member Posts: 169
    I had my WRX fixed for this issus at 4000 miles. The dealer replaced something called O Ring seal.
  • tripoketripoke Member Posts: 2
    my apologies if already discussed (new to board -- i looked but couldnt find this question). anyway, just got my '02 wrx last week from a private party (13k miles) and notice a siren-like noise from the engine that is directly related to pushing the accelerator (most apparent below 3k rpm). i didnt notice during test drives i think because i kept the rpm's high enough for the natural engine noise to drown out the siren-noise. i called the seller and he said it has made that noise all along -- can anyone comfort me by telling me it is normal? its my first turbo.
    You should be able to hear a bit of whooshing noise as the turbo starts to spool up when pushing the accelerator around 3000 rpms, but it shouldn't sound like a siren (thinking of the "whee-whoo" sounds). Above 3500 rpms, you should start to hear more whirring noise from the turbo.
  • hunter001hunter001 Member Posts: 851
    I think he is talking about the turbo whine, which comes across as a whistling noise. It is normal.

Later...AH
  • btimmons710btimmons710 Member Posts: 8
    Hey everybody, I've read up over at the NASIOC on the debate to switch to synthetic, but was hoping to get some of you to weigh in. I'm about to roll over 10k on my WRX and am really thinking about changing, probably to Mobil 1. I've heard a litte about synthetics leading to leaks - True? I was hoping to get some personal experiences - good and/or bad. Is this a worthwhile investment for a turbocharged car? And once you change, there's no going back (to dino), right?

Thanks,

B

I actually had an oil leak on my 97 OBS. It might be similar to Sonya's. It was the cam-shaft o-ring that needed replacing. It wasn't enough for me to notice. My dealer does my major services (15K,30, etc.) and they spotted it. It was covered under the powertrain warranty.

Bryan - You can change it now. There was a Subaru Crew chat (here at Edmunds) a few months back with a guy from the US Rally Team and a Subaru or Prodrive tech. The tech said it's better to do it very early (3-6K IIRC). Yes, you can go back to mineral oil.

The leaks usually happen when the car has higher mileage. After years of build-up from mineral oil, sludge starts to form around the seals. Putting synthetic in too late will loosen up the sludge and possibly cause leaks.
    The techs were not specific, but even 20k miles wasn't too late, when one person asked that. I was at 46k miles, and that was late.

-juice
    They said you should stick with it, although most oil manufacturers say it's ok to switch back.

I think I'll ask a Sr. Master tech at my dealership just for his thoughts. ...

http://www.edmunds.com/townhall/chat/transcripts/subarumaintchattranscript041802.html

"<bratman>: It's time for my WRX's first oil change. How early can I switch to synthetics?

<rick_subaru>: Do it NOW... but stick with it after you make the switch

<bazzal>: RE Synthetic Oils: You say that if you "start out" with Synthetic, stay with it. I have 6500 miles on my LLBean with regular oil. Am I risking problems if I were to switch at the upcoming 7500 mile oil change?

<rick_subaru>: No... But if you switch, stick with it, don't look back!"

• kevin111kevin111 Member Posts: 991
    With my car, I do not notice any whine what-so-ever. The turbo is pretty quiet, and when I do hear it, it sounds like a lower pitch than a Siren.

tripoke - take it in to a dealer. Something might not have set right, or might be warped. Just to make sure, have them look at it.

Now- if it was an RSX, I would say it was normal. When I was testdriving it, and would get the engine reving, I kept looking over my shoulder to see if there was a fire truck, ambulence, or a police car around me
  • locke2clocke2c Member Posts: 5,038
    It could be modified. A non-stock blow-off valve in particular could make a lot of noise, but it wouldn't be under throttle really, it would be when you lifted.

-Colin
    ZZZZZING

*pssst*

ZZZZZ.....
    I guess the turbo whine and whoosing can be described as siren-like :)
  • lilbluewgn02lilbluewgn02 Member Posts: 1,089
    Could it be the AWD whine?
This discussion has been closed.