Options

Toyota Sienna Future Models

Comments

• Options
    nofeernofeer Member Posts: 381
    is it true that to get NAV you must get the dvd system (1700 is a lot, after market systems run800-1000 at best buy and circuit city)
  • Options
    mjoinesmjoines Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone had success ordering a van to your specs? Our local dealer is way behind the curve and unifomred.
  • Options
    flynn4flynn4 Member Posts: 7
    Ken or anyone, with the tumble and fold middle seats, is there a locking position so one could leave the seat folded while driving? I do a lot of car pooling so the 8th seat option is attractive to me, however, that extra seat reduces the rear seat accessibility. We currently have a slowly dying Villager and we are able to slide the passenger side middle captains chair forward and fold it flat for rear seat access. I would like to be able to keep the middle seat of my new Sienna, when purchased, folded. Possible?
  • Options
    jenr1jenr1 Member Posts: 17
    Ronghai - I totally agree with you. I want the dual sliders on the Le, $1600 would bring the Le to 25,860 and that would be ideal!! I would even be willing to pay a little more since the Ody Ex is 26,900. To go to the Xle just for dual sliders is like a $2500 difference. And that is if the xle even will exsist without any options, never mind without leather. At the most I am figuring that the xle will at least have the $900-1000 option, bringing it to almost $30K. That is crazy, I think it is a big mistake for toyota not to have the dual sliders on at least the LE model. As in comparing it to the Ody Ex for 26,900, anyway. I am bummed about that.
  • Options
    jmjkonjmjkon Member Posts: 17
    Sorry for the dumb question here, but what exactly is Homelink?

All help appreciated, thanks - JK
  • Options
    I heard from a Honda dealer that it is something that you program to your garage doors and home lights. I don't know too much detail but I assume it is the same for the toyota. But someone else might have more details on that.
  • Options
    toocajun4utoocajun4u Member Posts: 26
    Jenr1's got it pegged: Homelink is a built-in transmitter that can be programmed to operate you garage door, the gates of a gated community, etc. There are even Homelink accessories to allow remotely turning on/off house lights, lock/unlock the house door, arm/disarm the home alarm. Of course, those accessories aren't cheap...mine only operates the garage door ;-)

Check out http://www.homelink.com for more info, programming instructions, vehicle availability, etc.

Larry R
    2002 Sienna XLE
  • Options
    jrhchgojrhchgo Member Posts: 8
    I attended the preview night Thur and spent quite a bit of time by the 2004 Sienna. I went in trying to convince my wife to stay with an SUV and walked out wowed with the 2004 Sienna. I don't want to go into the dealer to anxious, but my mind is 99% made up. They look like they hit a home run with this.
  • Options
    alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    I just dont understand the arguments being made.
    It seems very lazy to NEED this.

~alpha
  • Options
    jmjkonjmjkon Member Posts: 17
    Thanks guys, for the clue on Homelink. Sounds like something I don't need, but I see it's included in a base package.

Now the question: I looked at the website mentioned last week or so from Jack? I think is his name? The site where you can choose the model and options you want and it quotes a price for you? Anyway, one of the criticisms was that this was for 2003 models. Was this correct? Or does the site actually price the 2004 model?

Thanks again in advance - JK
  • Options
    shabbycatshabbycat Member Posts: 65
    of our daily routines. For instance, I have a small 7 yo that I drop off daily in a drop off line at school. I don't get out of the car. Of course, there are adults there to help her, but with 100 other cars doing the same thing every day, anything to help the line go smoothly. I occasionally have to take a sleeping child to the car. Since they weigh from 30-55 pounds (my kids that is), it would be nice to have an auto door. I think many families with small children might feel the same as me. But, even with all that, I'm on a lean budget and the power doors are not on my list. Give me a few more $$ in my budget and they would be.

Hope this helps.
  • Options
    they seems to me to be safer than slamming a big heavy door closed and hope that noone is hanging a limb out. The power sliders stop and open back up if anything is in the way. Also, I have two very young ones 2 1/2 and 6 mths, it will be quite a long time before either one of them would be able to shut the sliders on their own. I think it would be a great convenience...but also there is some laziness involved too :)hehe
  • Options
    Ahhh, but one man's laziness is another man's efficiency....

C'mon, Alpha...you're taking all the fun out of it. After all, we only NEED transportation from point A to point B for X number of passengers and Y amount of cargo. If you're going to ask us to prove NEED for everything in our vehicles, we'll all be driving base CE's...shoot, half of us would be driving base model Corollas.

Spoilsport... ;-)
  • Options
    I *am* driving a base model Corolla CE :)
  • Options
    the official Toyota website. I think the numbers on there are from the 2003 models. Go to the official Toyota Web site and look under vehicles.
  • Options
    Shabby,

That's hysterical... I'd still be driving a '90 Corolla (base model, no letters) if it hadn't been totalled during a burglary. Stupid kids...$2200+ of damage, and all they took was a $100 radio. In any case, I was going to drive it until it dropped, but due to the circumstances, ended up with the Sienna! With dual power doors, because I'm an efficient sort of guy! ;-)

Larry R.
    2002 Sienna XLE
  • Options
    dplachtadplachta Member Posts: 109
    I got word from my dealer that they aren't getting any CE's. The lowest price model is the LE with the AM and CF (which is floor mats)packages. With destination, the sticker price is $25776. This is in line with what is happening with the Sequoia. You cannot buy the base model--still can't on the Sequoia as they just don't make them that way.

The AM package is $810--fairly steep for a trip computer (I wonder what this does?), homelink, and a power door, which I find useless like some others have commented. None of the other doors are power in any other vehicle--even on a Rolls Royce! Still, I'm fairly pleased as the LE price has dropped some and the content has improved. My biggest worry is the seat comfort. I like firm seats and the present Sienna's are fairly soft.

By the way, I can't seem to find that new Sienna site or club that Sequoiasaurus provided a link to--were those references deleted?
  • Options
    beckyokbeckyok Member Posts: 15
    I emailed 3 or 4 dealers in the St. Louis area yesterday and I just got a response from a dealer who really knows what he's talking about! He is getting a CE with the AG pkg. unfortunately it has alloy wheels. The msrp is 24,830 and he will sell it to me for 23,850. I am waiting for him to check on LEs, I am just so happy to find someone with good info and good prices!

Peace, Becky
  • Options
    alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    alloys typically increase the resale value of a vehicle, so they arent all bad.

regarding my previous post about power doors and laziness, i just think its ridiculous that consumers will cross this seemingly best in class minivan off their shopping list simply because dual power sliders arent standard at the reduced price (as compared to last year) for the LE. yes, they are nice to have, but if youre getting a great vehicle, suck it up!

~alpha
  • Options
    danhirschdanhirsch Member Posts: 20
    I told my wife that we got the prices, and at first, she said "I just a basic Sienna - they're all the same." Then I asked her if she wants an electronic seat, and she said, "of course - I wouldn't want one that is manual - I NEED that". Then I asked her if she wants power doors, and she said "of course - the kids Need that". Finally, she wanted to know which one comes with DVD..... oh boy.... I guess its time for the second job. Of course, if it is comfortable enough, we can sell the house and buy a second Sienna... does this thing get cable?
  • Options
    innovations2innovations2 Member Posts: 22
    ..not to mention, you're adding a component that can easily fail especially as the van gets older and beyond warranty. I'd personally rather do without.
  • Options
    Alpha: when you state it that way, I agree. I am one of the "lazy" folks who bought dual power sliders - but I would not have 86'd the purchase if the power doors had been unavailable.

innovations: yup. Roll the dice, pay the price.

danhirsch: NP...I bet you could even get one of those 8-foot tall cable spools on a trailer for long trips. It'd be well over 3000 lbs with a full spool, though - do you have the tow package?

;-)
  • Options
    amhjmsamhjms Member Posts: 14
    With the arrival of our third kid in December we realized we had to take the leap to Minivan-city. I'm extremely analytical about things, especially cars, so have spent the last six months on a journey to find the best overall vehicle in this class. I was attracted very early to the Mazda MPV and Honda Odyssey. We ultimately preferred the Odyssey realizing that while we could see ourselves potentially regretting buying the MPV, it wasn't likely, after buying an Odyssey, that we'd wish we had purchased the MPV (hope that makes sense). However, I've been a Toyota fan (had a '97 4Runner some time back) and realized that they're products have been improving significantly in the last few years (I love the new Camry). So upon hearing of the Sienna, decided it would virtually have to the best, even if certain features weren't optimal. This led me to do something I can't believe I did: ordered a car w/o ever seeing it (we're in Oregon, Portland's Autoshow didn't have it) and without knowing the cost. This was just on Monday, but I figured they wouldn't make the cost uncompetitive and knew I'd want it really regardless. I wasn't 100% sure on options so I also went safe: Bought the XLE Limited and deleted what I knew I didn't want, NAV and rear wing. Thanks to this site, I now know it is going to cost me about what I guessed (with the 2% over invoice I pay to the seller, about $34,500) and am very excited that we'll have the minivan on US roads, at least for now. Only bummer is I've been told I won't see mine until June or July, anyone want to loan me a car for a few months after my wife's V70 comes off lease May 31? Best luck to you all!
  • Options
    ash21ash21 Member Posts: 10
    What did I tell you... "this is not a limited edition Tbird or....." People are already getting it discounted. I am not surprised, with a huge target (120,000 per year I think) Toyota will have to really do some good marketing to keep them moving. Good for us. Huuum.... I wonder what Honda thinking about the fate of their current Odyssey.
  • Options
    I'm very excited, my CE with the AG pkg. and alloy wheels is on its way! The dealer said it should be there a month from today. I know if I waited six months I would get more than $1,000 off msrp, but it's valentines day and I'm going for it!

Peace, Becky
  • Options
    jdubbsjdubbs Member Posts: 8
    How did you pull off 2% over invoice?
  • Options
    Please come and report back once you have driven around for a while. :)
  • Options
    rootwahrootwah Member Posts: 4
    I am also here in St Louis and very interested in the new Sienna (XLE)...which dealer did you find your deal at ?? i am planning on sending emails out as well to test the waters here...was there any word on LEs or XLEs ??
  • Options
    amhjmsamhjms Member Posts: 14
    There is a company in Beaverton, Oregon called Columbia Fleet that can order some cars at a such prices, including Toyotas. I think this board does not allow posting of phone numbers. If you want the number either call information or e-mail me at acsims_1999@yahoo.com and I'll reply w/ their phone number. Not sure where you're at, but they might be able to even ship or deliver to you. They are great, no games or anything - I met the co-owner, very nice lady. They can do it due to minimal overhead (they are in a business park, 4-5 car inventory from cancelled orders) and they are still making ~$500/ $600 per average car. I worked w/ Dave Schrock - tell him Adam sent you (he'll remember me and my wife). By the way, I'm an accountant w/ a major shoe company, don't worry about me doing anything funny w/ your e-mail address! Best of luck.
  • Options
    It was the dealer in Washington MO., Straatmann. Yates was the salesman, he was extemely helpful. Good luck and tell him I said not to sell my CE!

Peace, Becky
  • Options
    canuck13canuck13 Member Posts: 73
    I just got back from the auto show in Toronto. They had 3 Siennas. The show guys had a reference brochure from Toyota Canada with lots of detailed info in it. They let my son photograph the manual with his digital camera. There are about 24 pages in the booklet. Can someone tell me how to get these pictures up on Jack's web site?...or get them to you some other way?
  • Options
    I spent a long time looking under the AWD vs the FWD models. With the FWD the exhaust appeared to run pretty much down the middle of the van. With AWD, the drive shaft runs down the middle (of course) meaning that the exhaust is running to one side. The exhaust seems to get in the way of where the spare tire would be on the FWD. I think that is the reason there is no place to put a spare...and why run-flats are necessary.

The AWD vehicle in Toronto had Dunlop runflats. They are called DSST on the sidewall..Dunlop Self Supporting Tires I think. So it looks like Toyota may have 2 sources of supply, Bridgestone and Dunlop.

Also, the Dunlop tires don't look like they would be much good in snow. They looked more like summer only tires (although I'm sure they are rated as all season). No way I'd want to take them out in the snow...especially when they get worn a bit.
  • Options
    sail5sail5 Member Posts: 7
    If $34,500 w/o spoiler and NAV equals 2% over invoice,

Then,
    Base MSRP: 34,480
    Console/DVD: 1,750
    Total MSRP: 36,230

Invoice: $33,804? Does that suggest Toyota is clearing >$1,000 margin on the DVD alone?!
    I'll go aftermarket DVD based on sheer disgust...It's not too late to change your order.
  • Options
    lb535lb535 Member Posts: 10
    Canuck13,
    You know what they say about not judging a book by its cover? You can't judge tire traction by its tread design either. Specifically, many modern winter tires (i.e. Michelin Arctic Alpin) don't look anything like the knobby snow tires of old; indeed, with mostly smooth-looking straight ribs they look like they'd be awful in snow. In actuality, they have excellent snow and ice traction.
  • Options
    rootwahrootwah Member Posts: 4
    Is anyone considering this ?? Are there any details as to cost and various terms for these available yet ??

Thanks Becky for the dealership help -- are you going to test drive a new Sienna at all or will your test drive be as you pull off the lot in your new one ?
  • Options
    Ok. I registered at siennaclub. Same name. Can you send me an e-mail and I'll reply with the pictures?

Re the tires...I don't know the model.. I thought 4000 but I might be wrong.
  • Options
    toyotakentoyotaken Member Posts: 897
    From what they have told me, the reason that the AWD model will not have a spare tire and will use the run-flat tires is that the rear drive-shaft is in the place where the spare tire normally is. So to allow for this option, they went to run-flat tires.

Also to the question about AWD and 8 passenger configurations, From what I understand, a similar reason is why the AWD models only have 7 passenger seating. The mounting brackets and re-inforcing for the 8th seat are not able to be placed because of the drive-shaft for the rear wheels.

Hope this helps.

Sorry it so long for me to get back to post here, but Fridays are normally my days off.

Ken
  • Options
    hansiennahansienna Member Posts: 2,312
    OUTSTANDING information on detailed pricing (and all the other details about the 2004 Sienna).
        warde post # 1216: Agree with you on "Why would anybody buy an 8 passenger Venture"? You hit the nail on the head with the expose of GM pricing and then offering huge discounts. Based on experience with current Corolla Wagon, the 99 Chevy Tracker and all the Toyotas I got prior to it, GM will not sell me another vehicle.
  • Options
    windstarloserwindstarloser Member Posts: 11
    My apologies if anybody's mentioned it already, but I don't recall any discussions of warranty. Anybody know what it'll be on this puppy? Thanks.
  • Options
    leknlekn Member Posts: 78
    Canadian Warranty:
    comprehensive: 3 years/60,000 km
    Power train: 5 years/100,000 km
    Emission: 8 years/130,000 km
    Corrosion: 5 years/unlimited
  • Options
    puzzlingpuzzling Member Posts: 5
    Can someone please tell me what is the difference between a sunroof and a moonroof?

TIA
  • Options
    Ken, that is not correct re the drive shaft getting in the way of the spare tire. The drive shaft is a long way from where the spare tire is on the FWD. The spare tire is tucked under the middle of the van to one side. There is lots of room for the spare between the drive shaft and the side of the van. The problem is that they the exhaust pipe is moved over to make room for the drive shaft and the exhaust system prevents the tire from fitting.
  • Options
    toyotakentoyotaken Member Posts: 897
    Each manufacturer calls them different. For Toyota, a sunroof is a metal panel where a moonroof is a glass panel. Currently Toyota doesn't have any vehicles that use a metal panel, but they used to and that's where the difference in terms came from.

As for warranties, the basic warranties on Toyota's are as follows:

Bumper to Bumper: 3yrs/36,000 miles
    Powertrain: 5yrs/60,000 miles
    Corrosion perforation: 5yrs/unlimited Miles

Hope this helps.

Ken
  • Options
    1stminivan1stminivan Member Posts: 2
    Did anyone ever respond to Flynn (msg #1234) re: the 8th seat? I'm also worried about the accessibility issue with having an 8th seat, but would like the extra seating option.

Am going to the Pittsburgh Auto Show today... will let you know if I see/hear anything new.
  • Options
    olizerolizer Member Posts: 38
    I would suspect that the reason run flat tires are used is because AWD needs tires of equal size on all four corners to operate correctly. The diameter of a donut spare would be much smaller than required.
  • Options
    njbaran99njbaran99 Member Posts: 69
    Does anyone know if you will be able to order DVD Nav w/ DVD Entertainment. Honda Odyssey does not let offered this combo. I would like both options.

Saw the Sienna at the Chicago AutoShow. It is an absolute hit! Was considering the Chrysler Pacifica, but back seat are too complicated.

Will likely wait 6 mos to a year, but this is definitely the front runner for future purchase, likely the XLE Limited.
  • Options
    quantusquantus Member Posts: 6
    Hi Ken,

I have a stupid question in the big picture, but... we do not really like the current trend everyone has of adding wood trim to their vehicles. To me, even the "real" wood trim looks fake, and takes away from a nice vehicle. I haven't seen a 2004 Sienna in person yet, but I'm thinking I'll like the Black trim from the LE better than the wood trim of the XLE.

I was hoping the wood trim would be an option on the XLE model, but I see that it is standard. Is that something a dealer can swap out for a nominal fee? Or is it not possible or worth the time, and I should just learn to live with it if I buy an XLE?
  • Options
    leknlekn Member Posts: 78
    > I would suspect that the reason run flat tires are used is because AWD needs tires of equal size on all four corners to operate correctly.

Sounds reasonable, except that many of the Audi Quattro also come with space-saving spares and not full size ones.
  • Options
    njbaran99njbaran99 Member Posts: 69
    Does anyone know if you will be able to order DVD Nav w/ DVD Entertainment. Honda Odyssey does not let offered this combo. I would like both options.

Saw the Sienna at the Chicago AutoShow. It is an absolute hit! Was considering the Chrysler Pacifica, but back seat are too complicated.

Will likely wait 6 mos to a year, but this is definitely the front runner for future purchase, likely the XLE Limited.
  • Options
    lb535lb535 Member Posts: 10
    I haven't seen the AWD Sienna yet, but it would seem to me you could have the driveshaft running down the center, the exhaust system running parallel to the driveshaft on one side, and the spare tire (at least a donut, or even an inflatable spare) on the other.

Is it the norm not to include a spare tire on cars or trucks equipped with run-flats? More to the point, are there any situations where a run-flat would be less effective than regular tires and a temporary spare?

I also wonder if the ride quality suffers on the 4WD model due to the run-flats, since they need stiffer sidewalls in order to do their thing. Or conversely, if handling suffers due to the suspension being softened so the ride stays smooth even with run-flats.