Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus LS 460/LS 460L News, Views and Opinions

Comments

• ljflxljflx Member Posts: 4,690
    That is a dealer issue and I wonder if they even turned in the order. My dealer informed me of where the car was in the production process and once he even e-mailed me a copy of correspondence he had with Lexus production with an anticipated completion date. A custom orderred car is given the name "preference order" by Lexus production. I got the car about 3.5 months after I orderred it and it was about 2 weeks after the estimated completion date the factory correspondence that was e-mailed to me showed. So they were on-time and maybe even a bit ahead of schedule given the shipping time and US port clearance times on imports. If you are custom orderring it is best to do it late in the week as Fridays are days that Lexus US processes them to Japan.
  • atlas7atlas7 Member Posts: 126
    Thanks for your reply. Yes, there is no doubt this is a dealer issue. Pohanka Lexus not a place I would recommend to anyone. Pohanka Lexus arrogance and incompetence is amazing. I never would have expected this kind of treatment from a Lexus dealer.
  • rennyboschrennybosch Member Posts: 329
    Hi Len - yes I drove the car once, but I wanted to test the LWB with 18" wheels and air suspension, and they only had a Touring (19") and another one without the air suspension, so my heart wasn't in it. And you're right, I'm used to the '04 LS430 Ultra-Lux with air suspension. Makes for a very high threshold to measure improvement from :-)

Renny
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Hope you'll take a minute and stop by our Dealer Ratings & Reviews page to let others in your area know of your experience. Sorry it's been a bummer. :(
  • feverhartfeverhart Member Posts: 144
    Atlas7, in your bad experience, you are blaming a dealership that includes a lot of people. My experience in buying 3 LS's (including my latest LS460L touring)from Pohanka has been excellent.

I would start talking individual, rather than encapsulating everyone there. My salesman has always been Seth Dwyer. I live in Maryland, not Virginia, so I don't mind passing 4 nearer dealers to get there to deal with Seth Dwyer.

I bought my last car with a telephone conversation and he delivered it to my house the same day.
  • atlas7atlas7 Member Posts: 126
    ok, I don't want to name them personally, but suffice it to say that 2 sales rep's, yes 2 sales rep's, I haven't even mentioned the details on that, 1 sales mgr., and the GM who is just too busy to respond to my multiple inquiries. So, I would say that's 4 people where I have received poor service from Pohanka or no service at all. Furthermore, no apology or anything acknowledging their poor service.
  • lexusls2lexusls2 Member Posts: 2
    I live in Florence, Alabama. I have noticed some wind noise. By any chance, have you opened the rear windows while driving 55+ mph? The sound is horrible. My major problem is the noise we hear from 55-63 mph. On the 2nd trip back to the dealer to correct this problem, we were told again that the noise was normal for the LS 460. We have a LS 430 also. This noise isn't normal! After my husband demanded that they test the wheels "under load", they finally admitted that a tire was bad. The car rides rough. If no one is in the passenger seat, you can see the seat vibrate. I'm afraid when we get the new tire we'll still have all of these problems. Have you had any problems such as this? :mad:
    "The interior air temp has been so perfect that I haven't even thought about it since the day I got the car."

Len, I forgot to ask, did you have the same experience with your 430? In other words, does the 460 represent an improvement, or are you just less fussy that I am?

Best regards, Renny
    NO. With the LS430 I had to change temps a lot and the interior temps took awhile to settle in to a temp that was what I wanted - particularly days that were hot in summer or real cold in winter. Often (to me at least) it seemed the car would adjust interior air based on how hot or cold the outside air temp would read and in doing so would over-compensate. I often found myself lowering the setting to the high 60's on real cold winter mornings to offset the car putting out too much heat and raising the temp to 74-75 on hot summer afternoons for the exact opposite reason. But after about 10-15 minutes of driving in any season the interior temp finally settled in at temps of 72-73 and kept a good equilibrium. In this car I never touch that thing and in fact after your post I made it my business to see what temp setting I was even set to as I couldn't remember the last time I even fiddled with the temps setting.
  • rftrft Member Posts: 1
    I also have a wind noise problem with my new LS460.
    There is a lot of wind noise near the driver and passenger windows. It starts at about 45 mph.

If anyone is aware of a class action that has been started, please let me know.
  • tricky73tricky73 Member Posts: 132
    Go for it!

Numerous posts on this thread describe my experiences with a 460L...wind noise, trunk switch, windshield wiper activation, etc., etc. Note it had laminated glass all around which should lessen wind noise but it was still quite bothersome.

At my age I don't have that many opportunities remaining so I dumped it and replaced it with a 450h. I was convinced with all of the problems I was having that Lexus, nor anybody else, could fix it to my satisfaction. The smaller vehicle has equivalent or better comfort, luxury, and safety features.

Life is too short to spend time in the customer lounge waiting for them to tell you after 3 hours "sir, we apologize for your trouble, but everything seems to be within specification."
  • djmarcusdjmarcus Member Posts: 3
    I read with great interest of the 'wind noise problem'.

I am getting ready to lease (3 yrs) a 2008 LS/460 (this will be the 11th Lexus in my family over the years). I've been an LS driver since 1990 and truthfully noise was never a problem. I've even had a client once ask me if my LS was electric! - it was so quiet

So, is there a problem with the 2008 models? (was the problem only with the 2007 models?)

-Thanks in advance
    David
    My car is the quietest, best riding (and handling), most luxurious LS I've ever had and I've been driving them since 95. I've got no wind noise at all on a May 2007 delivered car. This car is a major upgrade over the 2004 car.
    There are those satisfied with the (lack of) wind noise on the 460 and others who are not. It does a disservice to portray the design free from this phenomena; there are just too many reports from owners complaining about it. Fair to say that some have it while others do not. I am among those who had it, and perhaps carried it to extreme but the problem no longer exists for me.

I would expect previous owners of the 4XX series more apt to report problems than those have not owned one of this series. My experience with 430s' was exceptional and was disappointed the 460 did not live up to my expectations. However, Lexus should welcome these comments and try and improve the product as their Corporate slogan claims. I would like to see a post wherein a dissatisfied owner reports since Lexus could not fix the problem on their particular vehicle they bought the car back and performed tests to determine how it can be improved.

Do purchasers of a $70-$85K automobile deserve anything less?
  • sysweisyswei Member Posts: 1,804
    Has anyone heard any reliable info on when the LS460 will get an AWD option?
    tricky73, did you see mitchellrowe's post on his testing and buying on the spot a new 2008 LS460? Maybe you should test a new one too to see if your prior experience was just a first-year glitch on Lexus' part.

I'm still happy with my 04 LS430 UL, but I keep reading all these enthusiastic posts about the 460 and may go back to test drive another one one of these days.
    Thanks; I'll check it out.

Noting you drive a UL, I read on the latest Lexus post they intend offering air suspension as an option on the '08 SWB 460. That may be a possibility for me...it was this feature that interested me in January to buy the 460L which included it...not offered on the '07 SWB.

However, my 450h is a doozie...I especially like the PCS coupled with radar cruise...a helpful feature for geezers who sometimes drive LA freeways. This package will also be offered on the '08 SWB coupled with park-o-matic...ugh! Perhaps I can negotiate away the $700 option price if I get interested.

Final comment on PA...I received a call from a reviewer with the NY Times who is doing a special article to this feature...he was not too thrilled with it either and said so far couldn't much enthusiasm from other owners.
    Couldn't find the post...can you be more specific?
    It's in the "2008 Lexus LS 460/460L" topic, post #21.
    Thanks...I was unaware of this new forum
  • mauiman1mauiman1 Member Posts: 2
    I have an '07 LS 460 purchased in January. I had brought this to the dealer's attention numerous times. FINALLY, they have acknowledged the problem and have ordered "replacement parts" to fix this. BTW, I am in Indianapolis.
    For all its worth, I ended up getting the 2008 LS 460. I'm glad to report that at least in my car there is no appreciable wind noise (as described by others in this forum). The car is as quiet or quieter than any of the 5 other LS cars I've had since I started with the LS cars in 1991.

-David
  • daryll44daryll44 Member Posts: 307
    Did youi get any kind of reasonable discount from sticker?
    I chose to lease. I got a great price (and money rate for lease) from Lexus of Rockville (Maryland).

-David
    Mind if I ask for details?
  • newrnewr Member Posts: 24
    Hi,

Jsut wondering, does anyone know what exactly is the premium floor mats? According to the lexus website.. there's this option which cost $255..my new one comes with it and I got it for the same price as those without this option...I was told by the dealer there's no difference.. but jsut wanted to make sure?
  • dssxxxxdssxxxx Member Posts: 69
    Mine did not have the floor mats but I asked my sales person to throw them in the deal and she did. But we have also bought 5 Lexus's in the past 4 years from her.
    oh... so floor mats are not standard? On the sales sheet, it says carpeted floor mats on all the vehicle and premium floor mat was on mine for options.
  • sidgriggssidgriggs Member Posts: 122
    "Carpeted Floor Mats" are standard. Look at the last line under Standard Equipment on your window sticker.
    yeah.. I know.. I am trying to figure out what's the difference between "carpeted floor mats" vs. "premium floor mats" which is an option for $255 on the LExus website and listed on the car I bought.

Does anyone know?
  • lexusls2lexusls2 Member Posts: 2
    We paid the extra $250 for the premium floormats. They are "thicker" than the thin "carpeted floor mats". They are a little nicer & more plush than the standard mats. They're suppose to be treated with a stain blocker. Personally, I like the ones that came with our '01 LS much better than either one. To me, neither one is as nice as the old ones. But, I like these better than the standard mats. Worth the extra money? Not really sure about that. I guess it's just a matter of personal preferance.
    Hi,

Does anyone know the specs for teh standard stereo system on the LS? IT says 10 speakers.. and 276Watt.. is there a subwoofer? haven't been able to find any info other than the ML system.

Thanks
  • renrelrenrel Member Posts: 2
    I have the 2007 LS 460 and this is my 5th Lexus. I too have the wind noise and I am very upset that neither the dealer, Keyes Lexus, nor Lexus Corp can do anything about it. I spent $65k on a car, and they are doing nothing for me. A lexus should not sound like the window is down and this occurs at speeds as low as 40 mph.

If you are buying this car, make sure you test drive the car you purchase and listen for the noise. It appears that not all cars have it.
    I too had a wind noise problem with a 460L which I have subsequently replaced with a 450h. My first Lexus ('04) came from Keyes and recent contacts to buy other vehicles have been very disappointing...I will never go back.

Have you tried Vista in Woodland Hills? That is where I got the 450, and I am particularly impressed with the attitude of the service department. There is a man named "Dave" who seems to know more about all cars in their product line than you will ever want to know. Might give them a call if you are a Valley resident.
    Hi,
    I recently got a Lexus LS460.. it's a recent built 07/07..I've read a lot about this wind noise problem...but I am not sure how much "wind noise" is considered normal. Mine seems quiet.. I can certainly hear some wind noise on the highway but i wouldn't say it sounds like the window is open.

So, I am trying to see if mine need a fix or not. I read on another site that there's a fix out and someone even put the VIN number code for those that should require a fix. Mine is above the number which supposedly mean it's already been fix?

Can someone please explain the "wind noise" problem.. I've never owned a LExus before.. so I don't knwo if this is normal or not. Am I to expect not to hear any wind or road noise at all even at 60+ mph? I know I can hear cars driving by and stuff even in normal roads..is that expected or does it mean the window need to be fix.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Is your vehicle the 460L or the SWB? The 460L has laminated glass all around which should lessen the effects of external noise, whether wind caused or otherwise; i.e. the SWB should be expected noiser than the L, all other things being equal.
    You are prob probably OK. I have one built in April, 2007 with no noise. From what I am reading on the CLUBLEXUS bulletin boards, those who have it DEFINITELY know it. It's almost a whistling noise. And a number of the long wheel base owners have it too...the laminated glass doesn't help that much.

So don't worry about it and drive on!
    So when you say you have no noise.. do you mean no whistling noise or no wind noise at all?

I don't experience the whistling noise.. but I do notice wind noises which would probably be within normal for most cars.. just not sure about a LS. I read the service bulletin... and mine won't need any added padding as it's after the VIN change.. but the laminated glass does apply.

Still not sure if it's a good idea to have it taken all apart though!
  • mardaymarday Member Posts: 4
    The alarm on my 2008 LS460 has twice gone off in the middle of the night in a closed garage by itself. By the time I put my pants on to go there it stops. It lasts for perhaps two minutes. This is unacceptable. Has anyone else had this happen and what can be done? The dealer says they haven't heard of this. I had a cadillac that did this years ago and it was still doing it when I got rid of it.
    Thanks for any input.
    Sounds very similar to a problem with my 460 before I dumped it in favor or a GS450h.

One of the more random annoying electronic glitches I had was the windshield wipers operating @ high noon on a cloudless day. Several other problems I experienced have been documented earlier on this thread; I also recall others describing going to their automobile in the morning finding the windows down and the sunroof open...fortunately it was in the garage.

Lexus is vulnerable to repeated complaints...they finally rebated $700 for that miserable park-o-matic feature I had, that neither I nor the dealer could demonstrate as a dependable, useful feature.
  • rogersmithiiirogersmithiii Member Posts: 3
    The 430 with the European handling was a fantastic car - stiff enough to handle like a dream, but soft enough to offer a wonderfully plush ride. I loved my friend's car, which I drove at every opportunity. Awesome. Just awesome.

I found the standard 460 however to be a sorry disappointment. I thought the car rode like an Avalon (with way too much body roll and a way too squishy ride), and was boring as hell to drive down the highway. Edmunds review agreed. Although I haven't yet driven an LS460L with the touring package, I have a feeling that you have to configure the car in that fashion in order to get something worthwhile. I would not buy a straight 460. Why Lexus won't offer the touring package on the SWM 460 is beyond me.
    This exact same thing happened at Lexus of Watertown in Massachusetts. I finally canceled the order after getting a changing story every time I called after the promised due date. It took me weeks to get a refund on my deposit. I get the impression that they don't like to take orders, and prefer to sell what's already been shipped.

Don't take it personally.
    I'd say give it a shot, but corporate doesn't give a darn despite the advertising hype. My letter to the President of Lexus USA, and Toyota Worldwide generated a form letter, and a phone call from the dealer telling me that they were "really really really sorry".

They really aren't that bad if you ignore all of the advertising hype, and discount everything the dealer / sales guy tells you. They're an average car company. Period.
    I would concur with your comments re the 430 w/Euro suspension; I had one and foolishly traded it for a 460 w/touring package. Although the 460TP features were quite satisfying, other parts of the machine soured me on that model. As I read the current Lexus brochere the 460 SWB can be ordered w/air suspension (implying it is part of a TP,) but the print is at the bottom of the page and VERY tiny, and dealers do not know the cost or lead time for the order.
  • sierra7sierra7 Member Posts: 2
    I have an 07 LS-460. Lexus has already replaced the front windows with double pane windows and additional foam insulation in pillars as per TSB. The wind noise issue is still not resolved. Complained to LEXUS HQ and dealership. I have a feeling that LEXUS HQ knows that they have a design flaw and cannot be corrected. After 8 weeks they gave me their standard answer that there is nothing further they can help me with. I have sent them a certified letter evoking the lemon law. I am a Mechanical Engineer and trying to find cause of turbulence around the window pillars. The wind noise is due to turbulence from cross wind. The edge of window pillars where connected to the roof is about 1" higher than the roof. As an experiment I used masking tape, and taped the seam from front windshield to the rear windshield on both sides. I am driving the car for about three days and so far the wind noise is only present on extremely windy days. I am curious to see if others can try this solution and may be Lexus HQ can come up with a TSB. Even Lexus factory engineer agreed that the windshield is not as flushed on LS-460 as LS-430.
    sierra, is there a difference between the 460 and the 460L in the way the window pillars meet the roof? It would seem that studying the differences between the SWB and the LWB should give some useful clues.

Good luck with your analysis -- Renny
  • sierra7sierra7 Member Posts: 2
    I test drove the LWB before purchase. Unfortunately it was raining and during rain neither SWB or LWB has wind noise issues. As far as the design, both cars have similar construction. I drove the car with masking tape in very strong wind on highway and the turbulent wind noise was significantly subdued. The car still allows too much air close to body but that cannot be changed, and it does not bother most people as long as it stays steady.
    tricky73, you should give the 460 another chance. The 08 model seems to be pretty much problem-free. You may remember that I also felt keeping my '04 LS430 was the smart thing to do, but when I kept reading all these great reports I finally decided to jump, and I haven't regretted it.

I did insist on getting the air suspension (but not the 19" wheels -- i.e., not the Touring Package), as well as the Dynamic Cruise Control, so I wound up with the LWB and an 86K price tag. The superiority of the 460 over the 430 is not in major features (the UL version had almost all of them), but in the little details that make for extra luxury, like the way the doors close, the Nav screen, and even, believe it or not, the ride quality.

Best regards -- Renny
    Thanks for remembering my 460L experiences.

Were you able to dodge the park-o-matic feature with your special order? That device really soured me on the car, although the air suspension was a joy. Lexus literature still implies the SWB can be ordered with pneumatic springs although dealerships seem reluctant to enter into a dialog re price, delivery, etc.

Hope your new rig continues to furnish the same satisfaction for you as my 450h has so far for me..