-June 2024 Special Lease Deals-

2024 Chevy Blazer EV lease from Bayway Auto Group Click here

2024 Jeep Grand Cherokee lease from Mark Dodge Click here

2025 Ram 1500 Factory Order Discounts from Mark Dodge Click here
Options

2008 Chrysler T&C & Dodge Caravan brake life expectancy!

Comments

• Options
    abutcherabutcher Member Posts: 33
    edited June 2010
    anewby, sounds like the problem is the brakes because you only hear the noise when you apply the brakes. Did your husband install them correctly?
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    whumfleet, the recals are not for the 2008 minivan brakes, which is what this thread is for.
  • Options
    anewbyanewby Member Posts: 2
    yes he install them correctly he has been doing breaks for years!!!!!!!!! but the noise has stop nw after 3 days after he did the breaks. dont no what it was glad its gone.but not looking forward to replaceing the breaks as often as you all are having too!!! hopefully they will do a recall on them soon!!!! :)
  • Options
    lofrecolofreco Member Posts: 1
    Do not feel bad, my 2008 T&C Signature only has 14,000 miles, brakes have been squeaking since it was brand new. Today I was told it needs ALL new brakes, front and rear, NOT covered since it is over 12,000 miles. Had them checked at 11,500 miles and was told they were OK. Now 2,500 miles later told need a $700 brake job that is not covered.

Anyone else get this story for their service center. Also, they are recommending "value line" non-OEM brakes, claim they are less expensive and last longer (15,000 miles), but will squeak more, since they have more metal.
  • Options
    pamelalebpamelaleb Member Posts: 22
    Do not pay for the brakes. The dealer is scamming you or they don't know that this situation is in the works and that Chrysler is paying for these brake jobs until this whole situation is resolved. This is a recall situation. There is definately something wrong with this design. This needs to be reported to NHTSA. The more complaints the more power we consumers have. Report it to them or keep your yap shut. That's all I have to say.
  • Options
    syracusesyracuse Member Posts: 2
    edited June 2010
    I own a 2008 T&C with 30000 on the clock......and my rear brakes just went south. Last week, I finally had a chance to open up the brakes and take a look around.

Upon inspection, I found that Chrysler used stamped metal "anti squeal" clips to hold the brake pads in place. Using these clips makes the fit between the calipers and the pads entirely too tight. These clips are the cause of the rear brake problems with these mini vans.

As a driver would apply the brakes, heat would generate. This heat would transfer the these metal clips causing them to expand and literally clamp the brake pads in place...not allowing the pads to release freely. After a few miles of driving, a driver would inevitably smell the tell tale sign of burning brakes.

My solution was to simply remove the clips...and give all metal to metal surfaces a liberal coating of the silver anti-seize lubricant. The pads now release freely when the brake is released.

Ive driven the car a few hundred miles with absolutely no issues whatsoever. The rear brakes are working properly. No more burning brakes...no more rear brake issues.

The clips are located at position #4 for both the inner and outer pads.
  • Options
    nucarfairynucarfairy Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2008 Chrysler Town and Country with 17000 miles and the dealer says that we ruined the rear rotors and that Chrysler will not cover the probelm. I have owned a Chrylser mini van since 1985 and have never had a problelem like this, 17K and rear roters are riuned. My wife drives this vand and treats it like a baby. No way rear rotors should be ruined after 17K in only 20 months of driving. Good Grief!
  • Options
    dyemmedyemme Member Posts: 2
    I have 2008 Town and Country and my front brakes pads are worn out at 22000 miles. Chrysler is asking to replace both pads and rotors ($400). They won't sell pads itself because they know rotors are wrong. Nothing covered under warranty..

I can't believe changing rotors for 22K miles in any vehicle...
  • Options
    nucarfairy, what does Chrysler know that is wrong with the rotors?
  • Options
    Report this to the NHTSA
  • Options
    ckoernerckoerner Member Posts: 3
    One of my friends that has a 2008 just like mine called me and said he just had his replaced and only had to pay $100.00. He said there is a recall now. Don't know if the recall is true or not.
  • Options
    tandrjohntandrjohn Member Posts: 1
    edited July 2010
    Hi! I had my brake pads and rotors replaced in January at a little over 22,000 miles. It was approx. $400. The interesting thing -- I just got a letter from Chrysler today saying they will fix them (they are being recalled) or they will reimburse me if I already had to have them done. I am sure you will be receiving a letter soon!
  • Options
    I just received a Front Brake Limited Warranty Extension for my 2008 Dodge Caravan It reads that the brakes may need replacing earlier that expected and that Chrysler will extend the warranty for the first 24 months or 24,000 miles for a free replacement minus $50.00 and an addition 36 months or 36,000 miles minus $100.00. I would assume all who are eligible will get this letter. Here is the deal though. What is the problem? I heard it was an engineering problem. If this is the case I would assume that this brake issue will be an issue for the life of the auto, not just 36,000 miles. So if there is anyone out there that knows law about these situations please advise us. Thanks Much
  • Options
    yahooliganyahooligan Member Posts: 17
    I just received this same letter today, I suspect this will really help with our lemon law case and finally show that there IS and issue AND that Chrysler is admitting there is one. Guess we'll see on Tuesday. :)
  • Options
    Hey Yahooligan whats on Tuesday and where are you? (state) Do you have a lawsuit?
    Pam
  • Options
    focuspullerfocuspuller Member Posts: 3
    I was not taking a chance of failing brakes without warning.

I asked my Dealer to check them when I was last in having my lifters replaced at 12500 miles, another silent recall from Chrysler.

He said all looked fine.

With all the posts on the internet, I checked them myself. The fronts were worn almost to the warning clip (only on the drivers side, no clip on the passenger side).

Went online and ordered a set of EBC rotors and EBC Green Stuff Pads for the front and rear.

Ordered new hold down springs and caliper pins (www.wholesalemopar.com, great service and prices).

Ordered SpeedBleeders from www.speedbleeder.com. Easy way to bleed brakes with one person.

All parts came and I changed the rotors, pads and brake fluid.

Brakes after 200 miles break in (bedding) are better than the junk from Chrysler. Firmer more reactive pedal.

Now to see how Chrysler will reimburse me.
    I doubt if they will pay for what it cost me to replace the fronts (that's all the letter had about replacement) just under $400.00...I then added to the bill 2.5 hours labor at $90 per hour (local dealers rate) for the front labor and brake bleed.

Autozone loans tools to make the job easy.
    Plenty of videos on the internet on how to change pads and rotors.
    If you have any questions pm me.
  • Options
    kope49kope49 Member Posts: 15
    So does the extension only apply to the original purchaser? I am looking to buy a used 2008 or 2009 with probably 30-40K. If the warranty will not apply to a second owner I seriously doubt I will go ahead with this.
  • Options
    The warranty probably does. I will sell you mine. I want to get a car.
    I am in apple valley ca. only 25K and in pretty good shape. No problems except for New brakes about 2000 miles ago. Will sell below retail. I don't know if I can do this on this site.
    Hope so
  • Options
    mturleymturley Member Posts: 2
    I sold my Dodge Caravan 2008. I had the same problems with the brakes as everyone else. I have lost confidence in the company. Their solution to the problem came a week too late. As far as I'm concerned, Dodge is a terrible comapany. Here I thought I was doing my part to help this company out and they turn around and treat me like crap. I will never buy another Dodge or Chrysler product again. I now own a Honda Pilot. I wished I had bought it before the Minivan Nightmare.
  • Options
    jo79325jo79325 Member Posts: 1
    I just got my 2008 Caravan back from the dealer after having the front brakes replaced under the recall. The dealership is telling me the rear brakes are bad too and need to be replaced for $375 more then the $100 deductible I paid for the front brakes. My question is why are the back brakes not covered under the recall as well? Aren't the front and back brakes made of the same defective material? I got the run around at the dealership with no one actually answering the question.
  • Options
    joeguzman10joeguzman10 Member Posts: 3
    The brake issue seemed to have been fixed on the 2009 models. I have 18k miles with minimal wear.

Somebody on another post switched to ceramic bake pads. It seem to solve the problem.
  • Options
    I wish Chrysler would be more forthcoming. Does anyone know what really is the matter with these brakes and rotors?
  • Options
    londamctaggartlondamctaggart Member Posts: 1
    I just received the recall letter for the front brakes...although not really a recall if I have to pay $100. Funny thing is...our car is registered in Canada, but we had an oil change done at the dealership in Cathedral City, California. They registered our VIN # and California address, which is where the letter was sent. We have not heard from Chrysler Canada at all. We have already paid to have the front and rear brakes done in Canada ($700), but we will try to get our money back from Chrysler U.S.A. Hopefully we will get re-imbursed for the rear brakes also. Our car only has 40,000 km's (25,000 miles).
  • Options
    annfromjerseyannfromjersey Member Posts: 38
    I just had the same repairs done. I was told by my dealership to call Chrysler and complain about the back too. I only had 5% left on the fronts and 20% left on the back with 21,000 miles on a 2008 T&C. I received a call today from the dealership, Chyrsler called the dealership and will repair my back brakes minus a $50 deductible. I'm not happy about having to pay a deductible but atleast it is not the whole amount.
  • Options
    There appear to be a couple problems. The brakes are undersized for the 4400 lb vehicles and the pads at least initially were of a material that could not stand up to even normal use. My dealer has assured me that they are now using pads with a substantially longer life - time will tell. If not I guess like some others here I will look for aftermarket replacements that are better than what the dealers use.
  • Options
    ahh65ahh65 Member Posts: 12
    At least it's not some $600, that I've read people have paid. I was jumping up and down when I received the letter. So many people have complained and filed reports that at least they(Chrysler) admit there is a problem. So we can be thankful for what we've gotten and that our voices collectively have been heard!!!
    I can't wait to talk to my dealer about this.. they were trying so hard to convince me that there was not a problem.. I also know I will not be purchasing a Chrysler product again, there's been way too many issues with this van. :)
  • Options
    Does any one know what the real problem is?
    I heard that the wheel base was too small. What ever that means?
    I heard that they were just bad stock. That doesn't make any sence to me. Can any one really get to the bottom of this.
    What I don't understand is why they will do the bakes at 24 and 36,000 respectively but than we are left hold the bag after that?
    Help, I don't understand. Maybe they are trying to circumvent us being able to use the lemon law???
    Thanks,
    Pam
  • Options
    srs_49srs_49 Member Posts: 1,394
    The problem seems to be that the brakes were lightened/cheapened going to the 2008 model year from the 2007. This caused pads to wear faster than most people expected and rotors (disks) to become damaged. Of course all of this depended on your particular driving habits, driving conditions, etc. As they say, your mileage may vary ;) .

On my 2007 DGC, I replaced the front pads (only) at 42,000 miles, and now we have ~68,000 miles on the van. Still haven't had to touch the rear brakes, and the front rotors are still OK. So, based on this sample of one, there definitely were some changes made between the 2007 and 2008 model years.

The thing with brakes in so far as lemon laws go is that they are considered normal wear items, just like wiper blades. I do not think there has been any case law to establish what "normal" and "abnormal" brake wear is. People have expectations based on prior driving experience, but I do not think any of that has been codified.
  • Options
    wrensterwrenster Member Posts: 1
    Anybody else have this problem? I bought this vehicle used in November '09. It now has 38K miles on it and I' was initially told nearly $800 for brake job at the dealer when I just had new tires put on it. Drove a little odd, so I took it back following week. On the way, an odd noise from the rear driver side wheel. Dealer told me rear brakes are shot, need brakes and rotors all around, and that the noise was from some brackets in the rear brakes hanging up causing brakes to stick. Doing so has ruined the brakes. "someone" at dealer hinted Chrysler has been having a problem with these brackets and that I should call them to see if they will cover the now $1100 brake/rotor/bracket job. Meanwhile, it's the only vehicle I have to drive. I called Chrysler, who turned me over to a "Case Manager" who did call once yesterday, and left a voice mail when I couldn't get the phone quick enough. I've called him back and left 4 voice mails, indicating safety issue and urgency. Nothing. When I do call, the initial Customer "Assistance" (ehem, yeah right) person says the ONLY person I can talk to is the Case Manager, who is not calling back. What if he's out today? On vacation? etc? Even the dealer rep has tried to call and supposedly can ONLY talk to the same guy who isn't calling ME back??? Next to letting the Attorney General know of the waste of my tax dollars in stimulus funds provided to this company that I took another chance with, I'm calling the dealer for a loaner until either I or the dealer eventually hear back from somebody at Chrysler.

In response to someone elses message, I've heard aftermarket brakes are better, they do last longer than dealer brakes....
  • Options
    sunburstorangesunburstorange Member Posts: 7
    My father received his letter today for his 2008 gc but mine is not here yet.
    He has had to replaced brakes all around at 12 miles!!!
    Mine is just there and no brake issues yetttttttttttt.
  • Options
    itsme7itsme7 Member Posts: 2
    hi, just bought a2008 dgc, 21,000 miles. the car lot did the front brakes and rotors and also the rears. this is the 3rd set on this. we have a chance to return this vehicle,but what is this letter about brakes, and are they fixing the problem, or just putting on the same stuff. has the braking system changed on the2009,2010?
  • Options
  • Options
    How is it that you can return your vehicle? Just curious as they wont let me return mine?
    Pamela
  • Options
    itsme7itsme7 Member Posts: 2
    we bought it used from a car lot it had just come in and we knew it had to be inspected, the brakes pulsated. the said they would take car of it and they did. we had it 3 weeks now we have to decide has anyone replaced the brakes and rotors with the wagner ones?
  • Options
    rdeltorordeltoro Member Posts: 3
    I have had my front brakes replaced twice and my rear brakes once. Does anyone have a copy of the brake bullentin sent out by chrysler. It extends the warranty of the brakes until 36,000 with a 100 dollar deductible.... if you do please email it to me rdeltoro@cox,net
    Thanks
  • Options
    can you email me a copy of your recall letter.... rdeltoro@cox.net.... i can't find the one they sent me and I really want to read the letter now that my brakes have failed
  • Options
    I am having the same problems with my van... I can't find the letter about the recall... can you email me a copy of yours... please....
    rdeltoro@cox.net
  • Options
    dodge08bosdodge08bos Member Posts: 1
    just sent a complaint to NHTSA.GOV. Suggest you do the same. Maybe then Chrysler will fix the brakes!
  • Options
    yahooliganyahooligan Member Posts: 17
    Just a quick update, we had mediation with Chrysler last week and ended up settling out of court. The Chrysler rep was also pretty confident that the current parts available for the brakes will solve the problem. On the other hand, he also said that replacing brakes every 20k miles is considered "normal." Weird, I've never had a vehicle need them that frequently.

FWIW, our attorney had another mediation scheduled with the same firm and Chrysler reps that same day for another GC/T&C brake case.

With 33k miles and 3 brake jobs (the 4th will be done this week), along with the letter from Chrysler, that made for a strong case. If anyone else is in a similar situation then it doesn't hurt to talk to a lemon-law attorney that represents your state.

Good luck!
  • Options
    giantsargegiantsarge Member Posts: 1
    I am in California and we are in the process of lemon law actions for brakes and electronics. If you could contact me so I can get information from you I would really appreciate it. Email me at cohen_k1@msn.com or giantsarge@gmail.com. I would like to include your info with ours to solidify our case.

Thanks,

Ken
  • Options
    stupidbrakesstupidbrakes Member Posts: 1
    I am an idiot. I got my brakes replaced in July with about 10k miles on the car. 2-3 weeks later I got the letter that the pads/rotors may need to be replaced earlier than expected. I copied my receipt, but for some stupid reason, I didn't copy the letter and ended up sending it back to them with my receipt. Does anybody have a copy of their letter? I am just wondering if there was a phone number I could call to see the status of my documentation.
  • Options
    snoopy71snoopy71 Member Posts: 32
    I have a 2008 GC and the right front brakes wore down and dug into the rotor @ just under 19,000 miles.

Does anybody have a copy of TSB# 05-006-08 they can send me? ... I find mention of it all over the web, but can't actually find it without having to pay for it. Is that another way Chrysler screws you w/o any vasoline? ... By making you pay for Service Bulletins ... complete BS!!!! I have owned all Hondas since 1994 and all their TSBs are online for free.
  • Options
    Telephone numbers Chrysler 18002479753 and Dodge 18004236343
  • Options
    Telephone numbers Chrysler 18002479753 and Dodge 18004236343
  • Options
    sunburstorangesunburstorange Member Posts: 7
    My rear brakes needed replacing today with 25,000 kms. My god Chrysler needs to make a recall as my brakes almost caused a serious accident for me. My rear brakes got so hot and I didnt noticed until I stopped and was PUMPING gas... could of been deadly.
    My dealer had the work performed and DIDNT charge me a cent.
    I thank him alot but Chrysler needs to STEP UP TO THE PLATE and help more of us out in the same situation.
  • Options
    bartbarnbartbarn Member Posts: 1
    I just off the phone with Michael our case manager on the 2008 T&C brake issue. He would not take my complaint but directed me to write a letter to the office that he works for. Michael did inform me based upon their data that the brake issue is limited. He could not provide any numbers to check is statement. That the limited number of issues have been corrected by the new and improved brake pads Front Only. I asked how many people are on their 3rd, 4th or 5th set of pads? He was not aware of very many. But they do not track this. I asked if the Chyrsler is going to keep replacing the pads until they correct the design flaw? No, their are not. It was a pad issue only. I asked what changes to the brake designs were made to the 2009 - 2011 T&C's. He could not comment on that request. We are on our third set! Help!
  • Options
    I will soon be taking my 2008 Grand Caravan in with 35000 miles to get the $100 pad replacement, I don't buy the crap Chrysler is trying to sell about 20K normal replacement. I have a 2006 Nissan Altima with 71K with original pads on all four wheels that the shop tells me are good for another 6-10K. I think part of what Chrysler did was undersize the rotors for this 4300 lb vehicle. Overall I love my Caravan but Chrysler is only hurting themselves by not tackling this issue head-on.
  • Options
    madatchryslermadatchrysler Member Posts: 1
    Having the same trouble with my 2008 Chrysler Town & Country. Changed brakes at 20000 miles and now again at 40000.Called Chrysler & after one week of hell dealing with a bunch of IDOITS they said that they wont help me at all. I own a 2002 dodge 1500 and a 1989 dodge W100 pickup.Also owned a 1999 Dodge Grand caravan before buying this junky 2008 van

I think I will get rid of all of my Dodge & Chrysler products.

What I want to know is what happen to this company. Go ahead and call customer service if you want to be put on hold for 20 mins.then get pissed off.They will provide you with a case manager that will never talk to you, than you will have to wait for ever just to get turned down on them fixing the vehicle.This Chrysler company is sure to go under doing people like this.

My vehicle has been sitting for over a week waiting on them to decide if they will fix it or not. Of coarse NO THEY WILL NOT.

Yeah by the way my ABS on my truck 2002 Dodge 1500 was not fixed either. would you figure, same IDOITS customer service.I think Ford or Chevy or maybe VW will get my money next time I purchase a vehicle.

Once I fix the brakes its going up for sale along with the other Dodge products I own.

I WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER DODGE OR CHRYSLER PRODUCT AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!

Reported this also.
  • Options
    My 2008 Dodge SXT still has the original brakes. I brought in in at 35,500 miles to see if I needed front brakes under the extended warranty. My fronts still probably have 15,000, the rears maybe 10,000 miles left. My only complaint is the dealer charged me $26 to "inspect the brakes" even though I had the car in for some warranty work and an oil change. My only real compaint with my van is the rough shifting by the tranny when making a rolling stop or going around corners and accelerating. The 6 speed seems to have a hard time deciding on the right gear. They reprogrammed the tranny under a TSB and it only made it worse.
  • Options
    usavetusavet Member Posts: 9
    Does your van sort of jerk when accelerating around a corner? I am having this problem when I corner and accelerate at low speeds, it kind of hesitates and jerks!