-June 2024 Special Lease Deals-

2024 Chevy Blazer EV lease from Bayway Auto Group Click here

2024 Jeep Grand Cherokee lease from Mark Dodge Click here

2025 Ram 1500 Factory Order Discounts from Mark Dodge Click here
Options

2008 Chrysler T&C & Dodge Caravan brake life expectancy!

Comments

• Options
    kope49kope49 Member Posts: 15
    I think that is the same problem. When I corner or come to a rolling stop and step on the gas the engine revs up while it decides on the gear and the car then kind of lurches when it engages. It is not terrible but is aggravating, the transmission shifts smoothly otherwise.
  • Options
    usavetusavet Member Posts: 9
    I wonder if it could be fuel pump starting to go?
  • Options
    ashdavashdav Member Posts: 2
    edited November 2010
    We purchased our 2008 Town & Country with 15,000 miles on it in March 2009. Eight months later(11/27/2009), with an odometer reading of 27,121 miles we had to replace the front brakes. The pads were completely gone and had dug into the rotors and ruined them. The wheels were completely BLACK with brake dust. We put out $385 for this despite arguing with the service dept at Chrysler that there HAD to be something wrong with the braking system. In June 2009 we recieved our letter from Chrysler admitting that there was a problem with brake pads wearing out prematurely and also with the pads causing excessive wear to the rotors. We sent in our reciept and were reimbursed $285. Sadly. On 11/19/2010 we took the van in to Brakes Plus to have the rear brakes replaced, as we had heard a very slight grinding noise the day before. The odometer reading was 46,126. Imagine my surprise when the service manager came in and told me that my front pads were also needing replaced and my front rotors were wore down almost to scrap thickness.Again...my wheels are BLACK with dust. The man thought I was joking when I told him the front rotors had been replaced 19,000 miles previously. I had to put out $780 for new brakes and rotors all the way around a month before christmas. Looks like everyone is gettin cheap gifts this year! Thanks Chrysler.

Incidientally, the tech at Brakes Plus told me that the pads should last 30,000 to 50,000 miles (pretty much confirmed by Chrysler's letter offering reimbursement for brakes that failed before 36,000 miles) and that the rotors should last through 2 sets of pads. Interestingly, I know one of the service advisors at the local dealer and so asked him in my aggravated state why Detroit was still using the same crap parts at the time my brakes were done. It's obvious from this forum that ceramic pads were available prior to my first brake job. He told me that the vehicle is big and heavy and the brakes are too small for it. NICE!!! Who in their right mind puts too small brakes on a FAMILY vehicle with a gross vehicle weight of 3 1/2 TONS!! IDIOTS!! Hubby wanted to unload the van, but we owe more than it's worth at this point. I told him the brake shop assured me that these new pads would last longer. I have to admit that the difference in the way the vehicle stops is unbelievable. Used to be rough and jerky...even after the dealer replaced the front. Now it stops smooth and with a very slight bounce if you have to stop quick.
  • Options
    Incidientally, the tech at Brakes Plus told me that the pads should last 30,000 to 50,000 miles (pretty much confirmed by Chrysler's letter offering reimbursement for brakes that failed before 36,000 miles) and that the rotors should last through 2 sets of pads. Interestingly, I know one of the service advisors at the local dealer and so asked him in my aggravated state why Detroit was still using the same crap parts at the time my brakes were done. It's obvious from this forum that ceramic pads were available prior to my first brake job. He told me that the vehicle is big and heavy and the brakes are too small for it. NICE!!! Who in their right mind puts too small brakes on a FAMILY vehicle with a gross vehicle weight of 3 1/2 TONS!! IDIOTS!! Hubby wanted to unload the van, but we owe more than it's worth at this point. I told him the brake shop assured me that these new pads would last longer. I have to admit that the difference in the way the vehicle stops is unbelievable. Used to be rough and jerky...even after the dealer replaced the front. Now it stops smooth and with a very slight bounce if you have to stop quick.

You have to wonder why they did not correct the stupid mistake on the 2009 or 2010 models. I guess they are afraid of the admission that the brakes were undersized.to begin with. When I DO get around to replacing my pads it would be nice to know where to go (probably not the dealer) to get the best ceramic pads and rotors on the market.
  • Options
    ashdavashdav Member Posts: 2
    I just replaced front brakes again that the dealer replaced 19,000 miles ago. A friend of mine is a service advisor at thedealership and the first time the brakes were done he gave us this shmeel about how the heavy vehicles like these just run through brakes faster. This time I emailed and told him I just had to have them replaced again...somewhere else...and wanted to know if he could tell me why the brakes they put on last year were apparently the same crappy quality it came from the factory with. No shmeel this time. He flat out told me the brakes are too small for the vehicle.
  • Options
    gdfthr3gdfthr3 Member Posts: 1
  • Options
    chryslerlemonchryslerlemon Member Posts: 1
    Year:2009 T&C
    City: Windsor, ON
    Dealer: Windsor Chrysler Dealership

We have 25000 Km presently on the van. At 20,000 Km the rear rotors showed excessive wear. We had it looked at by Windsor Chrysler and the mechanic pulled us to the side and said they see a few a week come in with break issues. He stated that the issues is a design flaw issue with the size of the breaks used. In short he said if we keep the van, we will be replacing all of the breaks every 2 years.

Chrysler did send send us a letter that they will replace the FRONTS only..IF...issue comes up within 2 years or 40,000 KM.

Talked to Dealership and they said we have to pay for the rears as this is NORMAL wear pattern. This is our 5th car from this dealership, and will be our last. In all our cars, 3 of which were Town and Country's we have never had to replace breaks within 50,000 KM let alone at 25K.

On a side note, the MyGig has given us nothing but issues. We have had it replaced twice already by dealer. They replace it with a USED unit from Crescent Ele located behind Devonshire Mall as they have the contract for Windsor area. I paid over $1000 for that option, why am I getting and older used replacement?

Another issues, the van has just died twice on us. Just will not start at all. No power to it, no lights, nothing. Then after 5 or 10 min, it will start. Dealer said we can not help as we have to have it here to look at when this happens, not after when it is working again.

In short, we have done our part for our fellow Windsor plant workers that make the van here. We will not buy another product from them as they will not stand behind there issues. Dealerships need to step up to the plate and support what is built here!
  • Options
    nocrysler4menocrysler4me Member Posts: 1
    I own a company that purchased two 2008 Chrysler vans new. The brakes went out on both vans at the same time after 40,000 mi The driving is all Highway maybe 2000 mi city driving The mechanic replace rotors and pads. They both went out 1000 mi later replaced calapers rotors and pade, again they went out , He informed me that after checking with other mechanics they are all experiencing the same problem and that the hoses to the calipars collapse and keet the pads from retracting. He changed the hoses on the first van and we have had no further problems the second van is now having the same problem. What is with this problem? One of my employees bought a 2009 Chrysler and is having the same problem ?

Dealer was not responsive. Bought the van new from the showroom and had a low tire warning off the showroom floor. He said I should go to the gas station and put air in the tires. What ever happened to service ? I will never buy another Chrysler. Going to trade in both vans this year. I bought a Scion new at the same time 150,000 mi and no problems Go american engineering and service!
  • Options
    allsbpallsbp Member Posts: 1
    edited January 2011
    With our 2008 T&C -- purchased new -- had nothing but problems with the brakes. Currently have about 50,000 miles on the vehicle -- on our 3rd set of front brakes, 2nd set of rear brakes. Now the right rear ones are shot -- while the left rear brakes are fine. Chrysler says they are only warrantied for 12 months, 12,000 miles -- and they will only replace them with more Chrysler brakes. SO --- my old mechanic says he can put "after-Market" brakes on with a lifetime warranty. Chrysler will no longer being doing work on this van --- and I'll probably never buy another Chrysler. We also had several problems with the sliding side door -- and had to replace a wheel bearing at about 38,000 miles.
  • Options
    sunburstorangesunburstorange Member Posts: 7
    I have a 2008 GRND CRVAN and have replaced front and back brakes at 30,000 KMS!!!

Not happy with CHRYSLER but my local dealer took care of me THIS time , so it was NO CHARGE to me THIS time..
    Next time, ITS my turn and from what I read it WILL happen sooner than later!!!!!
  • Options
    ricschricsch Member Posts: 540
    We have a 2010 Grand Caravan w/12k miles on it, rear wheels get very dirty quickly, front wheels are fairly clean at the same time.

Had the dealer check it out-stated this is common for this year and model! Nice job Dodge!
  • Options
    We traded a 2005 Mazda with 4 wheel disks in on our 08 Grand Caravan. The rear wheels on the Mazda were always dirty with brake dust - I think it just goes with the territory. We now have 37K on our van and when I had the oil changed last week they said I probably have another 15K on the original brake pads - a pleasant surprise after all the negative posts here.
  • Options
    sstv1317sstv1317 Member Posts: 1
    I bought my 2008 Dodge Grand Caravan SE with 15,000 miles. I didn't do any research further becuase the Dodge and Chrysler mini vans have always ahd a great reputation. I no have 40000 miles on the van, and at 25,000 miles I had to replace front and rear brake pads. Yesterday at the 40,000 mile mark I had to replace front pads, rear pads rotors and calipers. This is absolutely ridiculous. In my opinion Dodge and Chrysler should ahve to replace these vehicles or just put on brakes for free for the life of the vehicle
  • Options
    adviceneeded1adviceneeded1 Member Posts: 1
    I am getting conflicted advice. My 2004 needs a new engine, it was burning through oil and knocking. The van is otherwise in great condition otherwise. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
  • Options
    With proper maintenance these vehicles should be good for 200K. Before sinking that much money in your van you should have someone go through it and see if there are any other big buck issues (transmission, heat and a/c, front suspension for example).
  • Options
    pamelalebpamelaleb Member Posts: 22
    I would ask myself if you really need a van as the gas prices just keep rising and I don't suspect it gets great gas milage. That being said if you need it, I would price around and see what your best deal is for a replaced engine. And don't forget the warranty on the work. Don't do it without. But I would then go ahead and have it replaced. Go to ask.com for more info. You pay a little but it is worth the advise. Hope this helps.... Oh and if you don't need the van sell and get you a little gas saving car. I know the trasition will be hard but hey, save money.
  • Options
    stanoskistanoski Member Posts: 76
    If the rest of the van is in good shape, then Id replace it with a good used certified motor (do web search). Will be cheaper than a new one by far and usually guarnteed for 12 months or so. I have a 2005 and would do this if I needed too.

Just my 2c worth.

Ski in TX
  • Options
    abutcherabutcher Member Posts: 33
    edited January 2011
    This thread is for 2008 and up van brakes. not 2004 engines.
  • Options
    imnwsncimnwsnc Member Posts: 1
    Our 2008 T&C has all the same problems everyone else's does. 3 sets of brakes in 50000 miles , no help from our local Dealership and running out of options.. I have checked with several local shops and they all say the same thing...TRADE IT! I have purchased every car I have owned since 1994 from North Point Chrysler in WS North Carolina and it drives me crasy that they act like theres no problem with the brakes on this van. Needless to say I wont be back! Someone told me that there is a class action lawsuit forming against Chrysler over this issue but I have been unable to find any info! Anyone heard anything??? let me know please! :cry:
  • Options
    poorvanpoorvan Member Posts: 4
    In addition to the brake issue, and having to replace two front wheel bearings, I have had four TPM sensors fail on me. Three of them had hair line cracks and started to leak, while the other one just broke off while filling the tire with air. Has anyone else had the same problem? I have opted not to replace them, since they are faulty. I still intend to drive my 2008, with 88K miles on it until it dies, but aside from the interior, and radio set up, everything else has been a major disappointment, and this will be my last Chrysler product.
  • Options
    Get a lawyer and sue on the lemon law.
  • Options
    24sam24sam Member Posts: 10
    If I was you I would go to your dealer and ask them if they want you as a customer they should start proving it. I told my fathers dealer WE were so mad I was going to stand out front with sign telling everybody how much they really cared for there customers,I wrote to every big shot at Chrysler, the local paper .car blog,call your senators ( state and Federal),call #800 ask to speak to the area rep for Chrysler. Keep calling their 800 # ask to speak to supervisors, be polite but DONT GIVE UP!!! thats what they count on. We had the first 4 sets (rotors and brakes ).replaced at alittle over 10,000 miles and received a full refund minus $ 50.00 that are dealer offered to take care of us for that on anyother futre repair, made sure the brakes were checked before the dealers warranty was up on them they have had to replace front rotors and brakes before another 2000 miles were on them. You just can not give up . Put in ad in local paper for other area owners . I f you had a lemon law in your state should have filed there its too late now I guess for that but dont give up. Every car mag that tried to talk about them write letters , call. They count on us giving up...DONT!!!!......... GOOD LUCK
  • Options
    pippy814pippy814 Member Posts: 1
    I bought my 2008 Grand Caravan new in June 2008. In April 2010 at 16,000 miles I had front brakes and rotors replaced. Two weeks ago, I had a problem with my right front brake grabbing and not releasing - dealership told me that I needed again front brakes and rotors at 20,000 miles. I told them that can't be possible b/c I just had them done in April. I still got charged almost $600 b/c they told me that they were not under any warranty. After driving 60 miles from the day I picked it up after work was done, I am now having the same problem with the left front brake grabbing and not releasing. Also, I am not stopping when I hit the brakes. I'm returning it to the dealership to be fixed correctly and I told them that I am not paying for the repair since it was just in there for brake work and I should not have had to pay for the brake work they just did b/c it was the brake gripping and not releasing. Dodge/Chrysler needs to have a recall and get the brake system fixed on all of these vehicles.
  • Options
    arsvillearsville Member Posts: 1
    edited February 2011
    I have the same issue. Imagine that. At 38.000 miles my front brakes needed new rotors and pads (and clips etc...). My back breaks needed new pads. I took the vehicle to Brakeway in Louisville. The manager there explained that this is a known issue. Here is what he did:

Replaced front rotors and pads with ceramic pads
    Replaced back pads with ceramic pads (rotors were fine)
    Gave me a 50K mile warranty on all parts and labor

All I have to do is come see him once a year or whenever I have an issue. He is pretty certain he can keep me going with this crappy Chrysler/Dodge break system.

All in all I spent $366 with a 15% off coupon.

All that said, I'm not really happy with what I am reading but if you live where there is a Brakeway... I'd give them a try.
  • Options
    You are luck that it was at 38,000 . Many of us were at 8 and 10,00 thousand. Anyway yuo can try calling this numbr and see if Chrysler will help pay the bill 1800-247-9753
    Good Luck
    Pam
  • Options
    mkunzemkunze Member Posts: 29
    I replaced the rotors and brakes on my 2008 T&C at about 22,000 miles. Went through the usual malarky - "brake too hard", "too much city driving", "cars usually get 20,00- out of brake linings". Disgusted I went to Meineke and they told me how much better their brakes were than my OE.

Chrysler DID issue a recall and refunded the cost of my brakes and rotors about a year ago.

Lo and behold, went in for a recall and at 42,000 miles they say I need new brake lining AND rotors AGAIN.

That means I only got 20,000 out of the REPLACEMENT linings and rotors from Meineke as well.

WHAT IS GOING ON!!!

Any Advise on finding a brake place and lining that will actually last a NORMAL length of time?

:mad:
  • Options
    It's any enginering problem. The brakes are too small for the design and weight of the car. Thats what I was told. Has anyone sued on the lemon law and won. Onle guy contacted me a while back but then I never heard from him again..
    Pam
  • Options
    bennett4bennett4 Member Posts: 11
    I brought the van in to dealer for door recall and asked them to check brakes as they are once
    again pulsating. Dealer calls a few hours later and tells me that the rear rotors/pads are shot (blue colored rotors!) and fronts are "decent". This is my 4th full replacement in 19K miles on my 2009 T&C. Chrysler pays for the repairs under warranty and the dealer gives me a loaner but I am so done with Chrysler. Too bad too becuase this is my 6th Chrysler product since 1993. I am surprised that Chrysler has not upgraded the brake components on this vehicle to date.
  • Options
    mama2dutchiesmama2dutchies Member Posts: 1
    2008 dodge grand caravan SE- purchased new Sept 2008.

First set of brakes- 12k miles
    second set 18k

22k miles and it at the garage today being checked, yet they tell me there is nothing wrong with the car.

?? nothing wrong?? Brakes are not suppose to be changed every 3-12k? I have my kids in this car! I expect safety.

We're looking to trade it ASAP.
  • Options
    sunburstorangesunburstorange Member Posts: 7
    Its a known issue that the brake system on the 2008's SUCK!! Has this been resolved as the newer year models come out? or are they the SAME brakes, too small for the vehicle?
    My dealer told me its the same brake system from 2008-2011 but I dont read too much about other (newer) years having as much issue with the brakes as the 2008 model year.
  • Options
    poorvanpoorvan Member Posts: 4
    After several sets of Chrysler brakes, front, and rear, I learned to do my own from a friend, and purchased the best aftermarket available from Advanced AutoParts. They worked very well, and I'd recommend you give it a try if you are handy. I also experience 4 failed tire pressure monitor sensors (TPMS), and a slipping transmission at 85k..so I finally moved to the new Honda Odyssey. I'm happy with my decision. Good Luck.
  • Options
    srp11srp11 Member Posts: 1
    Bought a new, top of the line 2008 T&C in April of 2008. Absolutely every extra and spent a mint. At 9000 miles the front and rear brakes went out. I took it to the dealership and was told it was due to my "poor driving". Had them fixed. At 15000 miles got the recall. The dealership refused to refund my money, saying that they were not responsible as I had the brakes fixed at a private facility rather than at the dealership. At 22000 miles the brakes went out again - requiring front and rear pads and rotors... $800. Again, the dealership told me that this was not a design flaw or anything they would help me with, rather, it was a result of my poor driving.

Two days after we bought the car it wouldn't start... turned the key, power to the radio/lights, but engine wouldn't turn over. It has had starting problems ever since. Every time I took it in the dealership told me they couldn't find anything wrong with it. It got to the point where I would start the car 4-5 times - it would turn over, then die, before it would actually catch and remain running.

After the second set of brakes in less than 25k miles and continued terrible services from Chrysler I went out and bought a Toyota Sienna. I will never buy a Chrysler/Dodge again.
  • Options
    You are suppose to mail bills to the company and they will re-inburse you. The address was on your recall statement, well here it is
    Chrysler Cutomer Assistance
    P.O. Box 21-8004
    Auburn Hills Mi 48321-8004
    Attention: Reimbursement
    The telephone # is 1800-247-9753
    Good Luck
    Pam
  • Options
    plum2plum2 Member Posts: 1
    We are getting ready to put on our 2nd set of brakes on our 2008 T & C. The mechanic at the dealership said that the brakes are too small for this van. We are going to an independent repair shop to replace the brakes and we're going to install larger brakes to hopefully alleviate this problem. We've also had issues with our AC and had two repairs to the system. We had a Grand Caravan before this car and we NEVER had these issues, very few as a matter of fact, with our Grand Caravan. We have been disappointed with this vehicle and will not buy another Chrysler product. Does anyone know how to directly complain to Chrysler? With all of these problems with the brakes that we and others have had, I'm surprised that Chrysler has not had a 2nd recall on the brake system. There obviously is a design flaw.
  • Options
    botadodgebotadodge Member Posts: 3
    rear brakes are not covered under recall, only front and it's only partial
  • Options
    anyone had any sucsess fighting chrysler on the brake issues
  • Options
    if there is overheating the brake fluid develops air bublbes
  • Options
    kvanhowekvanhowe Member Posts: 4
    Here is my history on 2008 Chrysler Town and Country brakes:

8/27/08 Purchased new

8/31/09 12,725 miles - Replaced front brake pads and rotors - $328 (Reimbursed by Chrysler since just past warranty)

6/16/10 19,614 miles - Replaced front and rear brake pads and rotors (warped) - $420 ($370 for rear and dealer $50 "goodwill" deductible for last front brake job)

6/14/11 28,854 miles - Back in the shop today, needs new front and machined rear rotors (warped), pads OK -$350 ($100 Chrysler warranty deductible on front - $250 to machine rears)

Next stop NHTSA website and a call to Chrysler to try and get reimbursement for rear brake jobs!
  • Options
    yahooliganyahooligan Member Posts: 17
    Just an update, the post-lawsuit repairs performed and paid for by Chrysler less than a year ago are no better than the previous ones. The rotors are warped again. After Chrysler pays for the next brake job I'll just do it myself with some good aftermarket pads and rotors because this is just pathetic.

My wife and I had discussed selling the van if this last fix didn't do the trick, but at this point I'd rather spend a few hundred bucks and maintain them myself than spend a few hundred bucks a month on payments for a different vehicle.
  • Options
    I have been worried with all the negative posts here. I took my 2008 GC SXT to the dealer at 36K just to make sure my original brakes still had some useful life with the extended warranty. They told me I had another 25K on the fronts and more on the rears. At 42K I just took the minivan in to a reputable brake shop and they said I still have considerable miles left on my 3 year old rotors and pads.
  • Options
    kipndebkzookipndebkzoo Member Posts: 2
    I just paid my garage $469 to do rear brakes with quality (already had it done once under warranty). Is it possible to get it reimbursed?
  • Options
    dkm72dkm72 Member Posts: 3
    If you did front pads and rotors at 16,000 miles and they were needed again at 20,000 miles they should have been under the parts warranty. Service parts warranty at a dealer is 12 months 12,0000 miles.
  • Options
    annfromjerseyannfromjersey Member Posts: 38
    I was told by Chrysler that a recalled item is under warranty for the life of the part.
  • Options
    dodge_suxdodge_sux Member Posts: 2
    I've got a 2008 Grand Caravan. I already had the front replaced at a few mile over 24,000 (mostly highway) and had to pay $100. My last car went 80,000 on the original brakes and I've had similar with all my previous cars so having the front ones wear out at 24,00 was outrageous to me. The car is now about 2.5 years old and has 28,000 miles on it. A few weeks ago returning from a long trip in the wee hours the rear brakes started rubbing and locking up, smoke was pouring off the right rear wheel. I pulled off the highway, the wheel was to hot to touch and the rim was black so I let it cool down for a few hours and drove the rest of the way home. Later that day I made an appointment with the dealer to check out the brakes. I wanted the work done under warranty because the majority of the brake wear was from the brakes "sticking". I left the car and also had them do the fuel injector cleaning they had been pushing on me.

The service writer gave me a spiel about how it's normal for these vans to go through brakes every 10 - 15,000 miles, it might be common but it certainly isn't normal or acceptable.

I got a call a few hours later with the service guy trying to sell me a $100 + throttle body cleaning and a $500 + rear brake job telling me the brakes were normal wear and not covered under warranty. I told them not to do the brakes or throttle body and I would pick up the van. I actually had checked the brakes before the trip and they had plenty of material so it was not normal wear and tear.

I needed the van so I decided I would just pick up the parts and do it myself (I worked in a shop doing brakes when I was young and have probably done more brake jobs than most Chrysler "technicians). I picked up the parts drove home, jacked up the car, removed the wheels and the brakes on the left side had plenty of material remaining and the brakes on the right side were worn but not down to metal on metal. I was pissed and decided I would fight Chrysler to get them fixed under warranty as it was clearly a defect as indicated by one side wearing out and the other not. I called the Chrysler assistance line and they in turn called the dealer who told them that all the brakes were metal on metal which they were not. As a matter of fact I took the brake apart and took pictures and put them on the internet so I could guide the Chrysler people there to see them. They didn't want to see them and told me they take the word of the dealer. I called the dealer and talked to the service manager who looked at the pics and agreed they were not metal on metal. I then called Chrysler back and told them about the call, they told me the dealer had to call them. Eventually Chrysler got word from the dealer acknowledging that the brakes weren't metal on metal as they had told Chrysler previously, they lied but no one at the dealer or Chrysler seem to concerned about it, I was shocked.

So Chrysler tells me I can take the van back to the same dealer for another look, I told them that I didn't want to take it back to a dealer that lied as well as the fact that I had moved further away and would prefer to take it to another dealer. In the mean time I continued to drive the van (it's all I have) and the right rear outer pad did wear down to metal on metal.

So I made an appointment last Thursday to bring the van to a closer dealer that was going to charge me $40 to inspect the brakes. The appointment was for 7:30 am the following Tuesday, I brought the car in and also told them about a few other concerns they ignored. They did ask if they could put license plate frames from their dealer on the van, I said okay, it seemed kind of weird but I didn't care, they did as I was talking to the service writer (seemed odd to me). I heard nothing from them until 3 pm and was told they didn't get to the van. They said I could pick it up and bring it back the next day or just leave it, I left it there.

They called me today telling me I need an air filter, a throttle body cleaning and rear brake pads and rotors. I asked if they talked to Chrysler warranty, they didn't so I called Chrysler, they called the dealer then called me back and said that it was normal wear and the dealer said all the brakes were metal on metal (which is not true) and they would not assist me but I could take it back to the original dealer that might assist me. It seems as if they are trying to force me back to the original dealer.

I'm fed up with Chrysler and will never buy another vehicle from them again, they are liars and cheats that don't stand behind their inferior products.

The pictures of the rear brakes and the damaged wheel can be seen here:

www.mickeyco.com

mickeyco(dot)com in case the web address is removed by the software.
  • Options
    dodge_suxdodge_sux Member Posts: 2
    I was told and Chrysler confirmed to me today that the dealer gets less money from Chrysler for warranty work than if the car owner/customer is charged so they have a motivation to deny warranty claims.
  • Options
    sam01msam01m Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2008 Grand Caravan with the same problem. I bought the vehicle with 14,000 miles on it, from the dealer. When we test-drove it the brakes were pulsating, so I had them check it out for me. They claimed to have checked it out and everything looked good. I took their word for it and drove it home. 30-days later and just over 15,000 miles on the vehicle, the back brakes were grinding. I called the dealer and they said, "how do we know it wasn't caused by the way you drove it?" Long story short, I was fuming by the end of the call and vowed never to buy another Dodge.

I replaced the rotors, pads, and seized calipers. 10,000 miles later, I had to do the same thing to the front brakes, then @30,000 miles I had to do it all over again with the rear brakes. We just crossed the 50,000 mile mark on the vehicle and again, I had to change the rotors, pads AND calipers, yet again!!

Every 15,000 miles, like clock-work the calipers seize up. Chrysler's warranty covers them up to 12,000 miles I wonder why? I've owned a lot of cars in my life and this has been my worst experience EVER!
  • Options
    I had no TPM problems until I had new tires installed because the Yokohama prematurely failed. That's another story. The day after the tires were installed, the TPM sensor came on and after two trips to the dealer still dealing the problem. Extremely annoying since the warning chimes every 15 minutes!

I fortunately purchased the extended warranty, going back for a third time!
  • Options
    hatemycaravanhatemycaravan Member Posts: 3
    Thanks so much for all of the posts on here. At least I don't feel alone now. I bought a 08 Grand Caravan as an impulse buy in June 09. Van had 5,000 miles at the time. It now has 57,000, and it is working on the 5th, YES 5TH, set of brakes and rotors. I was able get a slight refund on the 2nd set as the recall had come out after that. By slight, I mean like $100 on a $500 job. I cannot believe this! I talked to the sales mgr at the dealership where we bought it, and he gave me some BS about how they aren't allowed to put asbestos in their brakes for the last 7 or 8 years per the EPA. WTF? I have been driving for 19 years now, and I have NEVER had to replace brakes. I drove a Nissan Sentra about 200,000 miles and literally replaced them maybe twice. Trying to get rid of this POS as we speak.
  • Options
    We are trying to decide what to trade our 08 T&C for. I had the first set of brakes done at 19K miles and now the brakes are squeaking again today with only 31,000! What car gets 12k miles on brakes! Never seen anything like it. On top of all the recalls and the issues with the sliding doors (which one is broken again) and I still have a car payment :(
    Can't wait to get rid of it!

BTW...Forbes named the 08 T&C one of the WORST cars ever
  • Options
    hatemycaravanhatemycaravan Member Posts: 3
    I am looking at a Kia Sedona. I had a 2005 Sedona right before this, and I wish I never would have traded it. Never had any problems with that van. This Dodge was an impulse buy. Now I am upside down in this Caravan, so likely I will lose on this deal. Also, there have been many other problems with this van other than the brakes. Wheel bearing went out at 10,000 miles. Back door wouldn't shut from the beginning, but they said something about previous owner (had 5000 miles when we bought it), had broken back glass and glass was down inside motor. So last Sept when it again would not close I had to take it in. That was great seeing as how I was at Walgreen's and my back gate would not close. I mean everytime I tried to drive off it would fly back up. So my sister who just happened to be with me, had to get in the back with my kids and hold the damn thing the whole way home. Then I had to bungie cord it to hold it closed until I could get to the dealership. Then they wanted to charge me $1400 for it to be replaced. After raising hell with the dealership, the service mgr agreed to replace it if I just paid a $50 deductible. In my opinion, I shouldn't have had to pay anything for a van with 40,000 miles on it! But I did b/c I had no choice as I had to have something to drive. And then one day at work I came out and my driver-side sliding door was wide open! On it's own it came open! WTH? My pocketbook was inside the car b/c I am a home health RN, and I do not go to nice neighborhoods. Thank goodness nothing was missing. I was furious. Now it takes about 3-4 times of hitting the button to make the door close. I might as well just have manual doors and close them myself which would be just fine. At least I would know it's closed. Oh, and it started running hot the other day. Was all the way up to "H" on the thermometer. Had completely run out of antifreeze and water b/c some hose inside is leaking all of it out and burning on some other pipe before it hits the ground. Therefore, I didn't see any puddles of antifreeze on the driveway. This explains the lovely odor of antifreeze that I get to smell all day while I'm driving around. Oh and the best part? I'm paying $394/mo to deal with this crap.:lemon: Like I said, this weekend this van will be traded!!!!!! Bye bye Chrysler products.