Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

Cash for Clunkers - Good or Bad Idea?

Comments

• maryh3maryh3 Posts: 263
    STOP. Your are confusing me!!

Just kidding. This car is for my teen sons to drive. Recommend whatever based upon safety and price. I don't want to spoil them by giving them leather seats and plush interiors. I tell them that if they want those things they will have to study hard and work hard to enable them to buy these creature comforts in their own cars someday.

Think about the humility experience my son is coming off of. He had to drive the T&C last year with the trashed interior and body damage. But he actually didn't want to get rid of it!! Says the Infinity stereo system is the best. Was a big hit with his friends until summer came (dead air conditioning).
  • 94gs94gs Posts: 59
    Remember the auto industry wanted a 12 month, $4 Billion, 1 million unit program. It was shaved down to 90 days, $1 Billion and 250,000 units in order to satisfy a certain group of skeptics.

My understanding is that the 1B is for this year's budget. CFC is still a 4B project. That means, there will be CFC from next year's budget (the eligibility requirements may change).
  • fezofezo Manahawkin, NJPosts: 10,376
    Oh, that Infinity stereo would have been the whole value of the car if not for C4C... Had one of those on my old Sebring convertible. Very nice.

I've had very limited personal experience with Chryslers but like you have done very well with what I have had.
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
  • andres3andres3 Southern CAPosts: 10,903
    So if you have a Clunker that's on it's last leg hangin by a thread, and then you get rearended totalling it, and the insurance company offers you $1,000 for it, can you say no way, give me $4,500 because that's what the government says it's worth now?

Sounds like a logical argument to me that this insane illogical program has led to instantly making the value of all clunkers that get poor mileage worth $4,500. ALL clunker TMV's should be adjusted to 4,500.

However, I have a feeling insurance companies will use another illogical argument to wiggle out of this "actual cash value" argument. What do you think?
    '16 Audi TTS quattro 2.0T, '15 Audi A4 quattro 2.0T, '16 Kia Optima LX 1.6T
  • joegiantjoegiant Posts: 90
    That's exactly what I was thinking. I've got to go about 50 miles or so to the dealer in a couple days to make the transaction good. Every car that gets around me on my way better BACK OFF!!! My $50 twenty two year old pickup truck is about to turn into $4500! Don't mess with me. I'm on a mission!!!!
  • stephen987stephen987 Posts: 1,994
    You can hate me all you want, and tell me my experience is not what it is, but I've had good luck with Chrysler's.

I don't hate you. I don't even mildly dislike you. I have no reason to do so. And I have never said anything about your positive experiences with Chrysler products.

Also, I do own a Dodge truck.

But the Jeep Compass has been almost universally panned by everyone from Consumer Reports to Edmunds to Car & Driver to Mother Proof. Hence my joke, which apparently was not received in the spirit intended.
    I wouldn't worry about offending former/current Chrysler owners in general. For every Chrysler customer like Maryh3 who feels Chrysler has provided a great ownership experience, there are a hundred others who feel Chrysler is the Anti-Christ or worse.

100 unhappy unsatisfied customers for every satisfied customer.... hmmm... sounds about right, since they've gone bankrupt twice now. You don't get to being bankrupt without losing a lot of customers. I mean a LOT of customers have been lost forever. Even non-customers are lost because relatives and friends who witnessed your ownership experience first or second hand know better than to mess with Chrysler.

I can't help but think that my ownership experience with a Dodge during the 90's helped influence my other teenage friends to buy Honda's as their first cars that they bought with their own money later on in life. It's not just bad word of mouth, it's knowing that friend you always haad that can never drive anywhere because his car's always in the shop (either that or he was cheap and didn' t want to use his gas).
  • plektoplekto Posts: 3,738
    $9000 off of a Wrangler... I'd still buy a Toyota.
  • 94gs94gs Posts: 59
    From cars.gov:

"NHTSA will provide you with guidance on how to process the transaction, checklist for accurately completing the transaction and examples of mistakes to avoid."

Has your dealership received the checklist? What are they?
  • isellhondasisellhondas Issaquah WashingtonPosts: 20,225
    What do I think?

If you get rear ended just make sure the car can still limp into a dealer under it's own power. That way, you'll get the 1000.00 from the insurance co. AND the 4500.00.

Hmmm..I think I better stay WAY back of any clunkers until this program ends.

Someone just might unplug their tailights!
  • lgradlgrad Posts: 3
    I have a 2006 Town & Country van with 24,000 miles. I tried to buy a new 2009 Town & Country with my 2006 as a trade in and cash. Guess what, the dealer acted like they have a gold plated product. They all start with the ficticious "Manufacturers Suggested Retail Price" and made some "factory" deductions. What a sham.
    I guess they like customers with no cash or no job, just like the housing bubble sales.
    They can't handle a cash customer. I would give them $10,000 and my 2006 van, take or leave it.
    I'm keeping my 2006 until it falls apart.
    Just came from the dealer. We know more than they do about this new rebate thing than they. How Chrysler is handling this is that they will be giving mostly $3500 or $4500 rebates on their 09's. I think that as of tomorrow, the 09 T&C van will have a $4500 rebate.

This would be in addition to any C4C money.
  • gagricegagrice Pahrump, NevadaPosts: 31,432
    They don't include the Wrangler. Arguably the best vehicle they have to offer.
  • fezofezo Manahawkin, NJPosts: 10,376
    No doubt why they don't include it...
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
    I laugh on my way to the bank. My buddies who got the 2000 Oddy, and keep replacing the transmissions, can't even get rid of them with this program. Government says they get 19 mpg as opposed to my 18 mpg 2000 T&C. :P
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Posts: 7,160
    Well as I said in my previous post I personally am pretty certain that they can and will extend the program if demand warrants it. If not then it will go away. Personally being a bettor I'd lay odds that this program will go 12 months with $4 billion being given back to us and involving 1 million turn-ins.

We'll see.
    Yep.
    But the Jeep Compass has been almost universally panned by everyone from Consumer Reports to Edmunds to Car & Driver to Mother Proof.

I am aware of the ripping on of the Compass. But the Manual Transmission does give it as different feel. Then again, I'm coming off of driving a minivan for the last 15 years and anything with a manual transmission feels fun to drive for me.

That said I will probably stick with buying the Mazda Tribute AT because I think it is the safer car. I would be exchanging the AT in the Mazda for a 4 wheel drive in the Compass. Both would be about the same price.
    Well, before you were "certain" and now you're "pretty certain".

Me, I have no idea? I wouldn't even want to take a guess.

And they aren't "giving" us anything. Where do you think 4 Billion dollars will come from? Oh wait...I know...the printing press!

Anyone else scared?
    And smarter people laugh at you ripping off our country using the C4C program.

The Oddy will sell for more than $4,500 without government assistance because it's a good vehicle, your T&C wouldn't sell for $100 to many former Chrysler owners (unless they know about the C4C program) :P

So it's really the Honda owners that laugh on their way to the bank with fantastic resale value that doesn't rip off our fellow countrymen in the process.
    Anybody selling a 2000 Oddy is ripping off the buyer LOL!!

But this isn't the place to address this -- it's about C4C, and I'm enjoying every dollar I'm going to get out of it. Jealous?
    I understand perfectly where the money comes from...it's borrowed. IOW the Feds are using leverage ( the cost of the interest on the loan to stimulate the auto sector ) to generate more business.

However what you're missing because you're politically against it is the beneficial downstream effects which create significant gains all through the system including increased revenue streams at the local, state and federal tax levels. It's not a panacea it's only a 10% boost. But it's a 10% boost for a huge array of participants including local, state and federal tax revenues.

You can be against it on philosophical, ideological or political reasons but it's going to do its job at a small cost or even no cost.
    To be honest, I may be just a tad bit jealous, but much moreso I am just disappointed our goverment and govermnent officials could have such terrible judgement, flawed logic, and ineptitude to inact such a horrific idea and program such as the C4C.

This is such a terrible use of taxpayer money, I will get my revenge by not voting for one single incumbant in the next election, and that includes Obama, and I'm a Democrat!
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Sonoma, CaliforniaPosts: 64,490
    But it hasn't even STARTED yet :D
    That's one view. I'm of the opinion that every stimulus possible should be used across the entire economy to reverse the fall. If this boosts the entire segment at little or no cost then it's well worth it.

You might want to look deeper at what the actual cost will be.

Interest cost on the amount borrowed....$1 Billion x 1.0%
    versus
    Increased tax revenues at the local, state and federal levels from dealers and vehicle makers
    plus
    increased payrolls ( payroll taxes, etc ) in a huge array of employees from steel mills to suppliers to auto makers to truckers to railroads to dealerships

But that's only the cost vs the resulting tax revenue stream. The real benefit is getting buyers out of their houses and breaking the sense of malaise that descended on the country last fall and winter. That's the key benefit of the stimulus. The fact that it's almost revenue neutral is just good planning.
    I don't think I'm missing anything.

I can argue both sides and I hope you're correct.

More borrowed money...oh boy!
    As a republican I think the program is BS too. The government has no business inventing these types of programs. It's not the function of government. But as they take every darn dime of my money they can get their hands on to give to everybody but me, I'll return the favor. If I could opt out of paying taxes, I'd opt out of this program too. But alas, nothing is more certain than death and taxes. :(
  • gagricegagrice Pahrump, NevadaPosts: 31,432
    Interest cost on the amount borrowed....$1 Billion x 1.0%

The only reason we are getting that interest rate is because China wants US to keep buying their crap. What happens when Treasury bills are 15% as they were in the Carter era? I would buy some myself. Your revenue neutral spin is hardly fact. It is your way of justifying a poor idea. Most of the vehicles sold will have been sitting on the lots for 6 months. That will only put salesmen to work and the salvage yards. Hardly a wide array of benefit.

I did drive by the Ford dealer this morning and it seemed busier than it has been for months. Did not see any cars that looked like clunkers.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Sonoma, CaliforniaPosts: 64,490
    Americans have been long in the habit of borrowing ever since the 1970s, when real (inflation adjusted) wages stopped going up (first time in 150 years in US history?). First they started working longer hours to compensate for the standard of living they could no longer afford, and once fried from overwork, then started borrowing like maniacs. C4C is nothing new in that regard, it's just "business as usual", so I don't see what the fuss is about. This is American businesses' newest love child. It's amusing to see some politicos pointing at it as if they weren't the father. :P
    As a republican you can now complain about the current situation because there is a democratic majority creating the laws. However I didn't see any hue and cry from republicans such as yourself over say, Mr Bush's Personal War or $350 Billion given to several favored banks last fall with no strings attached. But on topic I also never heard a peep from the legions of fiscal conservatives about the hybrid and clean fuel tax breaks created for the auto industry back in 2005 ( GOP Pres and GOP Congress ). You personally may be against such programs - as a republican - but the REPUBLICANS are not against such programs if such programs serve their purposes.

I think that the fiscal conservative minority have suddenly loosened their vocal cords because now it suits their purposes to be less profligate then when they were in power. When your former great leader was in office it was awfully silent from your quarters. Hello, this sounds like government as usual.

In fact your statement..

The government has no business inventing these types of programs. It's not the function of government

..is absolutely wrong!! Government and business are one in the same. There is no difference except one creates a state of stability for the other to grow and prosper while the other pays the bills. If you think otherwise then you're just naive.

If you look at Big Business you see Government. When you look at the Government you see Big Business.