Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Accent Hatchbacks

Comments

• oldjakd1oldjakd1 Member Posts: 6
    I'm in Florida.. Where are you?? I thought we would be getting a buy back?? I also have a 2004 Hyundai SUV Santa Fe (the most trouble free car I ever owned)

I guess I gota wait and see and explore my options (I am really pissed) I'll try and keep everyone informed.. :mad:
    RATS! I guess I responded to the wrong post.. Basically, I wanted to know how you made out with the buy/back?? I sense that I'm going to be going down this road...
    Thanks
    Jack (I hope this reaches the right 'poster') :mad:
  • 2schooligo2schooligo Member Posts: 2
    Hyundai HMA made another offer today to replace top of engine. I haven't made a decision, arbitration is set for June 1. Obviously something is wrong with the car - will let you know.
    I just got back this morniing from the Dealer and they reset the codes/computer (the recommended repair from Hyundai) The light is out.. Now I guess I gotta wait and see.. The mechanic told me that they only had one other one with this problem and they haven't been back since it was reset.. judging by what others said on this thread, It's going to happen again (I hope not) Now it's a documented waiting game.. Thanks for the input..
    Jack :confuse:
  • misternomisterno Member Posts: 11
    My engine shut off during the drive so I pulled over towed it to my house for free with roadside assistance and called my friend who is a mechanic. He came and checked told me that we need a new alternator. The car has 57K miles but over 5 years so no warranty there. So I called around and found 2 alternators both same price $133.99 and life time warranty. One is BOSCH the other is Duralast. So which one I should go with. This friend of mine wants to charge $40 to replace the alterantor, do you think it is a good price?
    Also, www.car-part.com has a 2007 (mine is 2002) Hyundai Accent used alternator for $60 but 30 days warranty. Would you buy this used alternator?
  • eleazareleazar Member Posts: 1
    yes i is verry easy you will found 2 bolts like motor oil panel and remove the oil pan also dont forget torque the bolts .
    Ok but I realized you have to take out the oil filter which is on the way. Now if you take it out the oil filter, would all the oil flow out or just minimal amount of oil comes out?
    I have my alternator changed in my 2002 Hyundai Accent Automatic shift. Alternator works fine but it seems like it does not accelerate as fast as it used to. Can this something to do with the new alternator? Or should I look somewhere else?
  • gsicurogsicuro Member Posts: 1
    I've got a 5-speed 2002 Hyundai Accent that I've owned for under a year. In the last month the car has failed to start 5 times. It turns but it won't catch, and if I leave it for 30 mins to an hour it will start like nothings wrong.
    It happens randomly... and the only thing that stays the same is that it's hot and humid and in the middle of the day, never at night or early in the morning. I've checked spark plugs, grounds, and the starter... they are all good.

I'm wondering if it's 1) a bad fuel pump 2) the car has a coolant problem leading it thinking it's overheated 3) something electrical or 4) the clutch switch is bad
    I don't want to take it to a garage since I can't predict when it won't start, big waste of time.

Anyone have any ideas? Am I going in the right direction?
    Thanks!
  • accent_tbaccent_tb Member Posts: 2
    I sometimes get a clicking noise coming from the rear of my car during braking, but it doesn't always occur (either that or I can't hear it), and its beginning to get annoying, I thought it might possibly be my rear drums or shoes but I had it checked and it seems fine. Anyone have any other ideas as to what could be causing this?
    my car is a 2000 hyundai accent GS 2 door hatchback.
  • lerzlerz Member Posts: 1
    I've had the same problem. It's the wiring in the Shifter casing getting caught up and faulting out.(It's happened 2x) I've had nothing but problems with the wiring in my 01 accent. The hatch open light was constantly on ( wiring fault in a connecting harness just under the dash) and the dash lights are still dead, and I'm not paying $80 just for the mechanic to pull the dash to take a look....my best advice is trade it in. As fast as you can.
  • lhansonlhanson Member Posts: 268
    Would care to elaborate, so we don't have to use up all of your anytime minutes. One posting is worth a 1,000 phone calls.
  • chastek3chastek3 Member Posts: 5
    I have a 07 Accent 3 door with 3500 miles. The Check Engine Light came on at about 2000. The dealer replaced the Oxygen sensor which fixed it for about a month. The Check Engine light came on again last week. This time the dealer updated the engine management computer firmware. We'll see if this fix is permanent. If nothing else the idle is smoother now and it seems to have more pep.
  • cruxclimbercruxclimber Member Posts: 2
    I bought a new 2007 Accent in New York last October. I commute to New Jersey every day, so I now have about 19,000 miles on the car. During that time, my check engine light has come on about 12 times. I have been back to the dealership so often I think they know my voice:) They have tried replacing the fuel injectors, the manifold exhaust valve, cleaning something, installing a new computer (with a tech they flew in from the company), new software, etc. The light still comes on, after startup, about every 2000 miles. Several times it starting flashing, in the beginning. After that it's just been steady. The last four times the light has turned ITSELF off after four or five days. The last code I saw was a misfire in the cylinder. The light came on again a few days ago; they are going to "check the code" when I take it in for an oil change. Other than the stupid light, I don't notice a performance problem. The dealership has given me loaner cars and once a rental car, but they seem to have no clue about what to do. I haven't gotten nasty at all about the issue yet, since I like the car and they gave me an exceptional deal when I bought it, but it is getting tiresome, especially with a NYS inspection coming up in a few monthes. I'm not sure what to do with the issue, except to point out to them that a lot of other people seem to be having the same problem.
  • altair4altair4 Member Posts: 1,469
    Does NY have separate inspection stations, or do the dealers perform inspections, too? If the latter, I'd go right to the dealer for it and force their hand.

What about lemon laws in NY?
  • cruxclimbercruxclimber Member Posts: 2
    I think dealers can inspect as well. I'm just checking into Lemon Laws, because of this forum:) From what I've read today, four or more attempted repairs of the same problem in 18,000 miles or 2 years is grounds to start pushing for something. Like I said, I like the car, so I don't want to even just get money back and lose the car, but I sure would take one that doesn't happen to have this problem. (By the way, I had a manual Accent and an Elantra before this; loved them all, which is why I chose another Hyundai. For price and quality combined, I've been very happy.)
    Any one have more knowledge of how widespread this problem is? I know several buyers at my dealership are having the same issue . . .
  • smalltownsmalltown Member Posts: 75
    I just traded in my 2002 Accent hatchback--58500 miles, automatic, power windows, mirrors, CD player--for a 2003 Ford Ranger Supercab. The dealer offered NADA book value for the Ranger but gave me $5200 for the Accent. So Accents are holding their value.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Wow, that's a good price for a five-year-old Accent. Maybe it shows how much small cars are in demand now with gas over $3 a gallon, and also that more people are beginning to see that Hyundai makes desirable cars.
  • cypres00cypres00 Member Posts: 1
    I bought my automatic'07 Accent GS in April and noticed that the car seemed to stay stuck in too low of a gear for too long. The tachometer would read 4000 rpms before the car would finally shift itself from 1st to 2nd or 2nd to 3rd gear. Once in 4th gear everything ran smoothly, but shifting upwards through the first, second and third gear were difficult. My check engine light came on at 2000 miles, and the car's acceleration problem became so pronounced that I took the car in for service. After two weeks in the shop and a new transmission the problem still exists. Has anyone had similar problems?
  • aldagaldag Member Posts: 81
    My Accent continues to run well. I recently had the original front brakes replaced and had new rotors put on. I replaced the spark plugs and the spark plug wires. The wires were starting to look dried out and oil from the valve cover caused one insulation boot to swell. The car continues to get 40+ mpg in the summer, slightly less in the winter. This is the most mileage I have ever had on a car. I am looking forward to 100K.
  • juantamojuantamo Member Posts: 1
    I got a similar problem with 2002 accent, although it is idling just at 1300 RPM.
    Did you get to know was has caused the problem in your case?
    Tks
  • 74887488 Member Posts: 1
    On my 02 Accent gl I got dtc 0732 (pulse generator 2nd gear). I replaced the part...no fix. Big surprise. I wanted to ask if anyone had tried replacing the wire harnesses. Also does anyone know if it is possible for an electro magnetic pulse generated by the battery (located right above pulse generator circuit) to interfere with this circuit? I just recently replace my battery, then this.
    This circuit is basically 2 magnetic sensors.
    I heard that GM switched to side post batteries when they started using h.e.i. The reason cited was that top post batteries can generate enough of an e.m.p. that it would interfere with the h.e.i. Don't know if it's true, but if anybody has any insight I appreciate it.
  • omartexomartex Member Posts: 1
    I have the same Acceleration Problem on my Accent 2002, 1.6. It accelerates up to 4000 RPM IDLING!! I cannot use it, I am afraid of breaking down the transmission or engine with such a severe use. Also its fuel consumption has been rising. I will appreciate any advise.
  • blackmaxx1blackmaxx1 Member Posts: 5
    Hi all

Hope somebody can help me out on this problem. I have a 2005 Accent manual transmission with 38k miles on it. It has a problem since I bought it at 10k miles that now worsens. From time to time (at least one a day) the engine won't crank when you turn the key, and then will start cranking slowly and gradually builds up speed until it fires up. In the past it only occurred when the engine was hot and you started the car within 15 minutes after it was shut down. Lately this even happens on a cold engine. I cleaned the battery posts and terminals with no success. I am not suspecting the battery as I am having the problem for the past 30k miles and the battery should have died long ago.... Any advise please?
  • sandnoodlesandnoodle Member Posts: 1
    Did you find out what was wrong with it???

My car does the same thing!! It's also a 2002 manual Accent that i've own for less than a year. I've taken it to the dealership three times and it performs perfectly there so they think I'm crazy or can't drive my own car.
  • accent_tbaccent_tb Member Posts: 2
    I would hazard to guess that since its only happened on manuals that it would have something to do with the clutch pedal, maybe you aren't pushing the clutch pedal down far enough, or if there is a cluch pedal switch, perhaps it is faulty.
  • litesong1litesong1 Member Posts: 39
    My wife has a new Accent...all because of me. Hope I purchased right altho we bought quickly when the Hyundai dealer gave us a price we weren't going to see with any other car including lifetime oil changes. Tried a Vibe & Yaris. Would have adored the extra Yaris MPG, but the extra thousands of dollars, the poor warranty & lack of 6 airbags put me off. Having some buyer's remorse because I never got as far as the Honda Fit or twin clutch Volkswagen dealers. But the Hyundai salesman was nice & I didn't want to risk running into a later 'hyped-up, buy it from me' salesman.

My long ago purchased Plymouth Champ & Ford Festiva(still have it), were great. My 2007 Dodge Caliber also has been a v. positive car. Here's hoping the Accent will also keep us away from repair shops & visits to gas stations will be near as uncommon as a Yaris or Fit would have done. :shades:
  • mannybeemannybee Member Posts: 4
    I own three hyundais. 2 Accents (2002 and 2005) and a new Entourage (2007). Great value cars. The 2002 had engine warranty work done at 85,000 miles and they only charged me $15 on a $2000 bill. MPG may be a bit lower than a Vibe, Yaris or Fit but it would take years to recoup the difference. My five speed gets a solid 32 - 37 mpg depending on city/highway and my daughters automatic ticks in between 28 - 34 mpg. Very happy hyundai owner.
    Hi mannybee....Don't worry about 'recouping costs' as much as keeping the air cleaner. If the Yaris or Fit would recoup the cost, that would mean we are causing $3000 worth of unnecessary pollution. May the Accent NOT be so. Again, hoping the Accent makes my wife happy, & like my previous cars, keeps me a stranger to auto mechanics & won't be far behind potentially cleaner Yaris & Fit.
  • britchickbritchick Member Posts: 6
    I own an '07 Accent hatchback. When I took it in to the dealer for the 15K service they told me it needed an alignment. I was surprised as I hadn't had any mishaps that might cause a problem, but told them to go ahead. They later informed me (after trying to charge me for a 4-wheel alignment) that they couldn't align the rear. I asked why not and they said that the Accent doesn't have the adjustments to align it in the rear. At that time they also said I needed four new tires. When I complained that I only had 16K on them they told me that Hyundai sends the cars from the factory with "crappy" tires. I have also had a problem with occasional rotten egg smell. I filed a claim recently through the BBB, but not getting anywhere. Any advice out there?
    I never ever let the auto dealer mess with my tires or wheels.. I go to a reputable 'tire' dealer to get my wheels rotated and balanced...
    If I were you I'd press for a new car. The dealer has acknowledged the car has an alignment problem. They also admit they can't fix it. They also say the car needs new tires after 16k--VERY unusual for non-exotic tires. I think it's reasonable to conclude the alignment problem contributed to the tire problem. The car is under warranty, and has a problem that could affect safety, and it's a problem they can't fix.

Thus I would ask for a new car, and take it up the chain at Hyundai as far as I need to.

You might not get a new car, but they may discover all of a sudden that it is possible to fix the alignment problem and maybe toss in a new set of tires. ;)
    Oh, I didn't let them fix my tires. I went to a local tire place and bought four new tires and I go back to have them rotated frequently.
    The BBB said I don't qualify for a new car under the Lemon Law because it wasn't off the road for any amount of time and/or they hadn't attempted to fix it more than once. I'm not sure how they could have fixed it 'though when by their own admission they can't fix the rear suspension on this car.
    The weird thing is I can't seem to find any other cases like mine. If it is true that the Hyundai Accent can't be aligned in the rear, how come there aren't other owners complaining about it?
    Forget about the Lemon Law here. Go up the chain at Hyundai. You might also let them know you are filing a complaint with the NHTSA (and then do it), since an alignment problem that apparently can't be fixed could be a safety issue (i.e. causing car to drift out of lane, maybe??).

It could be a defect on this one car, which is why you don't hear of more cases. I've never heard of such a problem on any car. Also it could be that the problem really is fixable, but this particular dealer either doesn't know how to do it or doesn't care to do it.

Have you talked with the dealer's service manager and sales manager yet? If so, have you talked with the Hyundai regional customer rep? That would be a good next step.
    Concerning the 'rotten egg smell'...Is your car an Automatic? Does it 'clunk' when it shifts? If it is an Automatic and it 'clunks' when it shifts gears it MAY be water in the transmission fluid... I had a Mazda that, sometimes, smelled like skunk and after about a year and a half of complaining and putting up with the clunk and the occassional smell, the transmission finally went (started screaming) and Mazda replaced it for free.. You gotta get on record with the dealers with your complaint..

Good luck
    Yes, my car is an automatic, but I haven't noticed a clunking sound. It used to only happen when I was accelerating to go up a long, gradual climb close to my house, and then only briefly. However, twice last week I noticed it when I was making a turn on the flat. It is only a brief whiff and then it's gone, so with all my other problems I haven't focused much on it. Years ago I had a car where it was a big problem and a friend told me it was a catalytic converter problem and he was right.
    I'm waiting for the Consumer Affairs Manager at Hyundai to call re: an appt. with their District Parts and Service Manager and a Field Service Engineer at the dealership to go over my car. Trouble is this same District Manager months ago had passed on a message through the dealers service guy advising me to take my car to a bodyshop! I wasn't impressed.
    I don't know what the NHTSA is but I will Google them and see what I can do. Ther have been other cars, apparently in the past which were designed this way, but I don't know what they did if they went out of alignment.
  • buddygleebuddyglee Member Posts: 44
    Stop by an auto parts store and have them check the battery with a load tester. Often times a battery will limp for quite a while with just one dead cell but will perform badly. Being cold would really cause this more than Hot. But will happen either way.

Clutch switch is either on or of and should not cause slow cranking.

You also could have a bad starter that is drawing more amps than the battery is rated for. Faulty windings or a short could cause that. :D
    The problem with Alignment issues such as this is you cannot prove that you have avoided all potholes, haven't gone fast over speed bumps, curbs etc. A vehicle with a tow hitch low enough to the ground could accidentaly be backed into your tire causing something to be bent ever so slightly like say if you Uncle forgets to set the brake on his toyota pick up and it gently rolls down the drive and stops when the hitch hits the rim of your wifes Kia... If the car had a problem when you bought it or soon thereafter your case would be stronger. You should perhaps get a second opinion and present that to the dealer to back your case up. if the second opinion is the same keep trying to make your point. Write to Hyundi etc.

As for the tires pretty much all dealers put bare minimum rubber on the tires. your terrain and maintenance will ultimatly determine the wear. I was not happy that my tires did not last past 25,000 miles on my new vehicle.
  • lightfootfllightfootfl Member Posts: 442
    re: rotten egg
    There is considerable info indicating that this kind of smell can come from various different gas combinations. Might try changing gas stations. Think it is the chemical makeup of the various brands. Just another point of info.
    van
    My problem is not that my '07 Accent is out of alignment, although I wasn't too pleased, but that it cannot be realigned.
    You might want to check with a Body Shop, Although there are no adjusters, a Body shop could use Hydraulics to put it back into alignment by bending the mounts or subframe slightly. This is somewhat barbaric but necessary after fender benders and such when the sub frame gets out of whack. It is extreme but sometimes necessary.
  • lightfootfllightfootfl Member Posts: 442
    Right on all that... alignment is critical to many phases of the operation of the vehicle. I will affect, tires, (obviously) mileage, handling, etc... Good body shops are able to check the 4 wheel alignment, etc and correct all sorts of "minor" and major problems.

van
  • vlbrooksvlbrooks Member Posts: 4
    Anyone know of a post or have info on how to get the dashboard off to install a radio in the base accent gs car? I cant find the screws or clips that hold it on around the a/c vents. thanks
  • vlbrooksvlbrooks Member Posts: 4
    I just bought a new 08 Accent 5 speed and it seems to tach really high. At 60 mph in 5th the tach is at about 3K and that seems high. I have never had a small car like this and just wanted to ask the group if this seems unusual or what. Any feedback appreciated. thanks vince
    From post # 1667, I talked of any possible extra pollution from the Accent vs either the Yaris or Honda Fit, if the Accent MPG weren't as high as the cars mentioned.

My wife drove her Accent thru a long winter & tough commute to 33MPG. Yaris & Fit may have beat Accent's numbers, but not by much, I don't think. Recently, my wife let me take Accent on day trips to e. Washington & Mt. Rainier over 1400, 3000, 4000 & 5500 foot mountain passes from sea level. Accent scored big, nailing 41.5, 42.6, & 45.2 MPG! Altho Accent has ~7% lower EPA MPG ratings than Yaris & Fit, Accent has acquitted itself very well in our own MPG race.
  • mpattdumpattdu Member Posts: 7
    I have a 2002 and just put in a new radio--might be similar on the 2008. There were two screws behind the pop-out cup holder. Had to push it in half way and peek in there to access the screws. Also had to remove the clips that keep the glove box from coming all the way out. Behind the glove box and up above and to the right of the gas pedal there are cables linked to the temp controls (two on driver side and 1 behind glove). Those needed to be disconnected. Then I just used a flat head screw driver to pry the entire front console off. If that doesn't help, you might find an answer at www.hyundai-forums.com or www.hyundaiforum.com.

Good luck!
  • 99whitegsi99whitegsi Member Posts: 1
    hi there i have a 99 hyundai accent gsi, sadly its an automatic. but i would like to know what things i can do to make this thing fast as posible
  • kevperro2kevperro2 Member Posts: 13
    You would be money ahead to trade it for a car more suitable for speed. I used to have a VW GTI and it was a great pocket-rocket. It also had TONS of aftermarket performance items.