Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Accent Hatchbacks

Comments

• coronamancoronaman Member Posts: 1
    May be a little late in reply, but it could be the CPS (Crank Position Sensor)

Mine was faulty, and failed to crank the odd time, then completely died one day. Takes about 20 minutes to replace yourself, but the part if around $100
  • tequilasmomtequilasmom Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know how much "play" a parking brake is suppose to have? There is no info in my Owner's Manual about Parking Brakes - just a mention in the service section "parking brake should be inspected every 2 years". I have very low mileage so I need to go by the time (months) rather than the KM's.
  • catasailcatasail Member Posts: 5
    I really like my 2007 hatchback, but this is something that they did wrong. You are right it is revving very high, but it gets great mileage. I am not sure why they made the car so that it could go to 20 mph in 5th gear and pull out fine. In the late 70"S cars reved like this for the power curve, but it does not seem to need to do this. I do not like to drive it over 65 because of the noise. :(
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    I've noticed that the lower gears in my 2007 model also seem to be lower than previous cars I've owned. It must have something to do with changing engine designs and fuel economy, although the logic of it escapes me.

2nd gear seems as low as first used to :confuse:
  • jamesravjamesrav Member Posts: 1
    On a 2004 Accent, I can see the small black electrical plug/box, but
    can't figure out how to remove it. Pulling doesn't seem correct, I do
    see what might be latches on the side - is there a release mechanism
    of some kind? Does the battery have to be removed to get at it
    properly, the space is very limited to maneuver with it there.
  • creeder2creeder2 Member Posts: 1
    i have a 97 hyundai accent and having a bit of a problem. my battery won't stay charged. we have replaced the battery twice and changed out the alternator. took the alternator back and had it checked. it is good. i can charge the battery and it will run untill it runs out of a charge usually at nigh when my lights are on but it happens durring the day. i did notice that my airbag light will come on right before it just dies. if there is anyone who might know whats going on please help.
  • drjohnusadrjohnusa Member Posts: 1
    I had the same car and problem (2002 manual 5spd Hyundai Accent hatchback with 125,000mi that randomly wouldn't start... it would crank like a champ but not start, waiting 30 minutes or jumping the battery would sometimes work). I changed the crank sensor, battery, starting and fuel pump fuse/relays, but it was still intermittently not starting. It would crank like crazy but not start.

Then I changed the fuel pump. It not only fixed the problem, but it returned my mpg to when it was new (40mpg hwy)! My mpg had fallen to 32mpg hwy, now it's back to 40mpg after changing the fuel pump.

Then a few weeks later it wouldn't start again, but this time it was due to a loose and corroded battery terminal (I guess I did a poor job changing the battery a few months prior.) I cleaned the terminal and tightened it up and no more starting problems.

-John
  • zoomuszoomus Member Posts: 1
    at 5k and 11k my 08 accent encountered this problem.When I stepped on the accelerator the rpm stayed constant,and the car felt like the brakes were engaged.Motor was ideling fine.On both occasions I got out of the car pushed it ,and It reverted back to normal . dealer scanned for codes and found nothing.he also checked in archives and found no previously reported problems. Iwonder if anyone else had problems like this.Iseem to think its a faulty CPU. Any suggestion welcome.
  • donnierdonnier Member Posts: 1
    Hi,new to the forum I hope some one can help. My son has a 1999 GSI and we are having a voltage problem. Last night he was driving and both head lights blew out. I had the alternator checked at a auto parts store and they told me I needed a battery. I think the problem is the voltage regulator? Not sure where it is located on this car. Any information would help,thanks
  • DIYtilyoudieDIYtilyoudie Member Posts: 2
    I too had this problem. Here's what's up: there's a fuel vapor filter and close valve one or both of which are screwed. They are located (in my 4-door '01 Sonata) just behind the driver's side rear wheel well. There are 3 hoses leading into the components which are mounted to the underbody by a plastic box and metal strap. Disconnect the hoses so one section of them is still attached to the fuel vapor filter. It would be wise to in some way mark which hose goes to which other section of hose as 2 of them are the same size. Once you've dropped the holder you need to unplug the close valve from the wires coming down through the underbody. Then you have the box(holder) which is zip-tied to the fuel vapor filter (canister) and the close valve. You can stick a small screwdriver in the zip-tie to undo it if you do not have any extra. Both the fuel vapor filter and the close valve are only available through a dealer and together will be ~$211. Remove 4 hose segments from old canister and install in same place on replacement. Remove old close valve and its mount from old canister. Install mount on new canister - make sure to keep the thick bushing for new close valve as it is not included with new one. Put new close valve on old mount and new cannister assy. Reuse zip-tie to mount new set-up to the holder. Before you reconnect hoses, make sure any charcoal pellets that may have seeped into hoses still on underbody have been removed - they're from the old cannister when the tank was over-filled or car driven through deep water. Plug in close valve, connect hoses, install holder, and you're done. it make take a few fills before it all returns to normal, but mine now fills at full speed. Hope this helps
  • 99accent99accent Member Posts: 237
    how do you remove the coin box on a 1999 Accent Hyundai , it either has clips or screws in the inside back?
    :cry: the coin box left side by dimmer interior switch has either clips snaps or screws in the back, how can I remove it
  • sajeevsajeev Member Posts: 1
    Hi ,
    Iam planning to buy a new 2009 model hyundai accent (india) . Can any body point some bad faults or disadvantages in going for this car.??

And advantages of the car.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    I am only familiar with the U.S. spec Accent. If it is like that sold in India, these comments would apply:

Pros:
    - Relatively smooth and quiet ride for such a small car.
    - Smooth 4-speed automatic transmission
    - Nice interior for an inexpensive car, with a very comfortable driver's seat (8-way adjustable).
    - Fairly roomy for its size (has more interior room than a Honda Civic for example).

Cons:
    - Poor crash safety, even with six airbags (standard on U.S. models)
    - Anti-lock brakes are optional except on the high-end SE hatchback
    - High-revving engine with the manual transmission, which results in relatively low fuel economy for its class (this is for the 1.6L engine in the U.S.)
    - Sluggish performance with the automatic transmission
    - Handling is not as crisp as some other small cars e.g. Honda Fit
    - Rapid depreciation compared to makes like Toyota and Honda (not a factor if you plan to keep it for many years); also the resale values of Accents seem to be increasing of late, at least in the U.S.
    - Not available as a 4-door hatchback (may not apply in India)

Hope this helps you.
  • hakohako Member Posts: 5
    I don't think it's entirely accurate to say "poor crash safety" without explanation.
    That would depend on who issued the reports....which institute, because it has been rated differently. It would also depend on what KIND of crash test. The Accent scored poorly in a one or two scenarios, but performed fine in other crashes. Side impact crashes, especially in subcompacts, frequently results in poor score. A heavier, taller vehicle ramming the drivers door can create serious injury, even with air bags.....mainly hip/pelvis injury. Subcompact drivers frequently sit lower than other drivers....usually about bumper height. All small cars suffer in a collision against a large vehicle that strikes them from the side, some worse than others. It's pure physics.
    I don't think it's entirely accurate to say "poor crash safety" without explanation.

Good point. To elaborate: the Accent has the worst IIHS crash test results of any current vehicle sold in the U.S. (tied with its twin, the Kia Rio): Acceptable in front (almost all cars today are "Good") and Poor on the side (the worst rating). "Poor" also in the rear. Many small cars get much better results, e.g. Yaris, Versa, Fit.

I think that qualifies as "poor crash safety."
    Apparently the Yaris and Fit didn't do so good either, not according to a recent article on crash tests and small cars. Both cars were not likely to prevent bodily injury in several tests. This was not noted in the earlier IIHS tests, which illustrates my point....different tests, different testers, different results. Google "small car crash tests" or similar. The article came out recently, and it wasn't just an Accent issue...it's a small car issue.
    From the Associated Press: April 14th 2009
    "The crash tests were conducted by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety. The tests found that drivers of 2009 versions of the Smart “fortwo,“ Honda Fit and Toyota Yaris could face significant leg and head injuries in severe front-end crashes with larger, mid-size vehicles." At least the Accent's tests didn't reveal HEAD injuries. Those are the kind you want to avoid at all costs.
    Of course those small cars would not fare well in a severe front-end crash with a much larger, heavier car! That is a much more severe test than the normal IIHS and NHTSA frontal tests, which simulate a front-end collision with a car of equal weight traveling at the same speed (since they run the car into a fixed barrier). But consider... since the Accent got only "Acceptable" on the normal IIHS frontal offset crash test, while cars like the Yaris and Fit got "Good", would you really want to be in an Accent when it runs head-on into an even LARGER car? I wouldn't. And I'll bet if the Accent had been run into a mid-sized car by the IIHS, it would have fared worse than the Yaris and Fit did.

BTW, an internal injury can be just as life-threatening as a head injury.
    where is the charcoal canister on a 1999 Hyundai accent
    I have seen 2 answers, under the battery box up front under hood and in the rear near a black flap.???need real help a picture would be great
  • DIYtilyoudieDIYtilyoudie Member Posts: 2
    i have an '01 sonata. my charcoal filter is located behind the rear wheel well on the drivers side, almost in line with wheel well. there's a black plastic case/shell protecting it, held on by, i think, 12mm bolt. if i remember correctly, the canister is zip-tied to this from inside, but that's not a problem... there are 4 hoses running from the side of the canister - one leads to the pump on the same side of the canister - canister's ~10"x6"x4"... hope this helps...
    a picture would help thanks anyone
    You seem to be trying to draw some significant difference between the Accent and the other sub-compacts. The latest tests don't support that view. My point is unchanged.....there is no significant difference, and even the small differences frequently disappear when these cars are re-tested. The most recent tests I've seen for the Accent produced a "good" rating for frontal offset. The Yaris and Fit are no safer than an Accent, even if they were thought to be a year or two ago. If you buy a Yaris or Fit believing that you are safer, you may be in for a rude surprise. The best defense you have in a subcompact is alertness and driving defensively, not some false illusion that it will protect you like a larger vehicle would.
    You seem to be looking at different information than I am. Here are the latest IIHS crash test results on the Accent. Note that the frontal offset score is "Acceptable", the side test is "Poor", and the rear test is "Poor":

http://www.iihs.org/ratings/ratingsbyseries.aspx?id=586

By comparison, here are the latest IIHS test results for the Yaris and Fit:

Yaris: Frontal offset "Good", Side "Good", Rear "Marginal"
    http://www.iihs.org/ratings/ratingsbyseries.aspx?id=589

Fit: Frontal offset "Good", Side "Good", Rear "Good"
    http://www.iihs.org/ratings/ratingsbyseries.aspx?id=593

Another car in the same class is the Versa, which scores Good/Good/Good on the IIHS tests.

I think those are significant differences. If you don't, we'll just have to agree to disagree on that.

I have no illusion that a small car like the Accent, Fit, or Yaris will provide me with better protection than a larger car that has equal crash safety. But if someone wants a subcompact car, I think there are better alternatives from a safety standpoint than the Accent. An additional safety benefit to alternatives like the Yaris and Fit is that they have ABS standard on all trims (not so on the Accent), and the Fit even has ESC available, albeit only on the top trim line.
  • tamoshantertamoshanter Member Posts: 33
    picked up a 2009 Accent, GS (hatchback), automatic, option package #02, mudguards and floor mats for $11700. basically OTD price was $12500 (included freight), add 3% VA sales tax, $345 processing fee, $75 title/registration, and subtracting $1500 rebate (was for my mother-in-law, so she wasn't eligible for military and college graduate rebate). $1500 rebate expires today, basically got about $11800 price estimate in the Washington DC area, then took this to a couple of Richmond, VA Hyundai dealers. one said that there was no way he could come close to the $11800. the other said wait, talked to his manager, and offered $11700 out the door. my mother-in-law is VERY HAPPY with this; her first new car, limited budget, and perfect for her needs (green apple color, black interior). this was even better than the TMV and consumer reports dealer price was!
    all dealers are hurting, so it's a buyer's market - waited until last weekend (near the end of the month), and for using the rebate.
  • fitdcfitdc Member Posts: 9
    Anybody have recommendations for a front strut bar for an 09 Accent hatchback?
  • jboz29jboz29 Member Posts: 15
    I purchased them in August of 2007. Have free rotation so i had them rotate around 4,000 miles then I had an illness and forgot to rotate until 9,000 miles after the 4000. had them rotated in March 09 after 4000 miles. And just rotated them yesterday. One tire is wearing on the inside. It was on the right front tire, it had only been 3500 miles. It almost bold on inside, all other tires that been put on right front look brand new. Could this be a manufacuters problem or is it mine. Just cant believe I have 3 new looking tires and one bad one.

TIA

Jack
  • autonomousautonomous Member Posts: 1,769
    One tire is wearing on the inside .... right front tire ...Could this be a manufacuters problem or is it mine

The tire might not be the problem but rather the alignment (position) of the wheel. For example, if you hit a pot hole, the alignment could have been affected and then the associated tire would start wearing more quickly. If that's the case, after you rotate your tires, the tire in that spot (right front) would start showing the same signs. Check the right front wheel for any visible sign of damage and consider a professional wheel inspection / alignment.
    Thnx for the reply. Another question. I have 19,700 miles on them. Should i just buy anew tire and get aligned? Like I said all other tires have nice deep tread. The other one is bold in places and dont want to have a blowout. How will this affect the ride if i did buy a new tire.

TIA

Jack
  • grandpa1041grandpa1041 Member Posts: 1
    Big dummy thought I had got cruise but did not. I would like to know how you find the VSS on a 2009 Accent with Auto Trans and if that is how they hook up the after market cruise controls for a transaxle. I have put a couple on with magnets but have no idea how to hook it up for this car. Also what kit would be best for this car since there are knobs sticking out both sides of steering wheel. I probably need a vacuum resavoir also. Really appreciate any help, I have a broken pelvic and need to move that right leg once in a while.
  • autonomousautonomous Member Posts: 1,769
    have 19,700 miles on them. Should i just buy anew tire and get aligned? Like I said all other tires have nice deep tread. The other one is bold in places and dont want to have a blowout. How will this affect the ride if i did buy a new tire.

If the tire is going bald, you definitely should consider replacing it. Riding with one new tire and three others with close to 20K may be somewhat noticeable. But, in my opinion, that would be better than driving with an unsafe tire. I would call a tire shop and get their opinion - I would expect most reputable tire shops would not charge you for an opinion. Good luck!
    I went today to get my front end aligned and when the did the computer check it showed front left .70 out of line on the camber and .90 on right front. Then they told me that there are no adjustments on the camber. Is this true and is this going to keep ruining my tires. The did adjust the tow in a little.

TIA

Jack
  • stephen987stephen987 Member Posts: 1,994
    I've never heard of a car that had no camber adjustment. By any chance was this less than an hour before closing time?
  • tomekvilletomekville Member Posts: 1
    I gotta electrical problem too.(Hyundai accent hatchback 1999)
    sometimes signal lights wont go on,
    second sometimes we noticed little smoke from steering wheel
    Now i cant start the car!! all controls are clicking but not signal lights ,

to start the car i need to boost but my battery is good shape (new)
    this problem is really weird
    i bought the switch and i removed the old switch and put in the new one and i still have the same problem :cry:
  • aldagaldag Member Posts: 81
    This electrical problem sounds like a bad ground. Bad grounds often happen in cars eight years or older. Try removing and cleaning both ends of the ground connection from the engine to the chassis. At the same time it might be a good idea to clean the ground points in back of the headlights.
  • aldagaldag Member Posts: 81
    Here we have a small economical car that just keeps going and going. I have never had a car with this much mileage, usually I get a new car. But the Accent has been running so well that I decided to get a new timing belt put in along with a new water pump. The water pump was still good, but with this much mileage it was probably time to replace it. These small engines don't like to get overheated. One problem I encountered recently was intermittent operation of the fuel pump. A couple of times the car would not start because the fuel pump would not come on. This problem was traced to the fuel pump ground making poor contact. This ground is not located near the fuel pump. It is under the driver side fuse panel. Cleaning this ground has solved the problem. I have noticed a small amount of rust through in the passenger side rear wheel well. Not bad after being outside for 10 years in the Connecticut weather and winter salt. The outside manual remote mirror adjust cable broke, I repaired this problem with a modification. Everything else is working fine, the AC is still strong, the radio plays well. A very economical car, very practical, still gets great mileage.
  • fitdcfitdc Member Posts: 9
    Anyone have an explanation for the scarcity of Accent SE hatchbacks w 5 speed? I have had a call in for a test ride in a 2010 in the DC area for months. Same issue with 2009 models.
  • stephen987stephen987 Member Posts: 1,994
    Sure. Dealers would rather sell Elantras for a few hundred bucks more. Around here (central Georgia) the Accent SE is an endangered species, five-speed or otherwise.
  • phill1phill1 Member Posts: 319
    Pictures posted of the new upcoming Hyundai Accent (Verna) replacement from the recent Bejing China Auto Show shows a terrific shrunken 2011 Sonata sedan. I hope Hyundai will make available for the N.A. market a 5 door hatchback which is missing now. 3 door hatchbacks are cute an popular with women and young consumers, but lots of folks like my self want the practicality of a mini-wagon that the current Accent is missing. If Hyundai refuses to build it, hopefully its sister company Kia will continue offering a 5 door hatchback like the current Kia Rio5 SX which I own and would like to replace in the near future with a similar vehicle.
    Yes, hopefully Hyundai will bring the upcoming 5-door hatch to the US, and not just to Canada as in the past!

Here's spy shots of the new 5-door:

http://www.hyundai-blog.com/index.php/2010/05/20/2011-hyundai-accent-verna-5-doo- r-hatchback-interior-exterior-images/
  • daniels0ndaniels0n Member Posts: 1
    My 04 hyundai accent started a trend on loosing power after running for about 18 minutes.. THen takes awhile to start up and does it again.. All the components work, it just wont start.. IT cranks over like it wants to.. The mechanic I went to says the relays, and fuel pump are fine.. Can't find anything in his computer.. Can any 1 help me out there?
  • robert_bankardrobert_bankard Member Posts: 1
    Of course, the factory tires only lasted 20, 2012 miles before they defected with sidewall bulges - and Hyundai takes no responsibility - but you can't get 'low profile' tires anywhere with a warranty that exceeds 40,000 miles.

Based on the tires that came from Hyundai, I was burning 3 cents a mile in tire costs, Now that I have decent tires on, I can hope for a little better than 15 cents every ten miles.

If I could do it again, I wouldn't - look for a car with real tires, folks.
  • cathy555cathy555 Member Posts: 2
    Hi,
    I have a brand new 2010 Hyundai Accent and after 1100 miles, it began pulling to the left. I got an alignment and it still continues to slowly drift to the left, especially at higher speeds. I brought it back to the shop and they re-tested it and said the alignment is perfect. Someone suggested since it is such a lightweight car, it might pull to the left slightly because that's where the weight is (the driver.) Has anyone else experienced this? I might have put 100 miles or so on the car pre-alignment service. Would this have worn the tires enough to make it pull? I'd appreciate any help. Thanks, Cathy
  • thunderbird59thunderbird59 Member Posts: 3
    hey cathy I have a 2010 accent se does your car ALWAYS pull to the left ? mine does on the freeway in the fast lane ( because the roads here are crowned a bit ) .. but then every car I've owned pretty much does the same thing especially front wheel drive ..
  • brophbroph Member Posts: 85
    edited September 2010
    We just purchased a 2009 Accent for our daughter yesterday and during our test drive I noticed that our car pulled to the left on the highway. I asked the dealer to do an ailignment before we picked the car up and they said that one was done with in 10 miles earlier. From reading the last two posts, I know they are going to say the ailgnment is perfect. I also noticed that there was a shimmy in the front end pointing to cupped tires. We will see.
  • cathy555cathy555 Member Posts: 2
    hi,
    i had the alignment done twice, and once outside of hyundai. the mechanics acted like i was crazy, but someone explained that the roads are slanted to drain water off the roads. because the car is so light, it veers off. it doesn't do it so much on local roads or at low speeds. otherwise, i love the car.
    I hope that hyundai will still offer a 3 door I have a 2010 Accent SE ... and I am a 50 year old man who grew up in the era of the HOT hatchback GTI etc... I am truely tired of not being able to buy anything WITHOUT 4doors I mean I expect a 4 door Mustang to come out any day now .... Bring the 5 door and paint them all silver like everyone elses car but, please save a red or yellow or Black 3 door for me please ... :)
  • brophbroph Member Posts: 85
    Thanks cathy555. We picked up our daughter's car tonight and it did not pull on the same highway that I took the test drive on. I'm hoping that the ailignment did need adjusting. I'm impressed at how the little bugger rides/handles. Since she is happy, we are happy.
    Tom
    I'm with you on the 3-door. I really liked the Kia Rio5, but I didn't want the extra doors. So, I got a black Accent SE hatch... and it is my favorite car hands down. I've owned a Ford Contour, Ford Escort, Hyundai Elantra and Suzuki Aerio, and I liked the Aerio best of those, but the Accent is sharpest looking, most economical, and the most fun to drive.
    Ironic .. mine is also Black .. a 5speed which, by the way ,was not easy to find I had to order it .. all in stock were automatics .. (another thing I don't really understand ) .. but alot of people like or need autos. I too have owned A Ford Escort , Contour , and an Elantra ... no Aerio but I did have a Swift .. amoung ALOT of other cars From Continintals to Fiats .. I too find this car to be an Absolute Blast to drive .. my 4th new Hyundai .. all 3 before this one were amazingly solid Trouble FREE cars. I trust this one will be tha same ... :)