Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2000 Toyota Celica GTS

Comments

• sergeissergeis Member Posts: 134
    Someone here told that it takes almost 10 seconds for 0-60 with automatic. I don't know, may be there is something wrong with my GT auto, but it does it in ~8.5 seconds. The main advantage of manual is 6 speeds versus 4 in auto, so if one is mostly interested in 0-60 times the manual is the way to go.

alex2364, it would be better for people around if you get your ticket for speeding like that and cutting over three lanes of traffic. It is not like I mind you slamming into some post, its your choice, but such guys tend to do damage to others around. Just hang the picture of a police car on your rear window, if that's the only way to keep you driving safely.
  • bmathewsbmathews Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know if there is (will be) an aftermarket chip that will change the cam swap from 6000 rpm to say 5000 rpm?

I also saw a mention on a parts web site (forget which one) that a turbo for the GTS is coming soon. Does anyone have more info?
  • alex2364alex2364 Member Posts: 7
    Why the hell are you telling me this?? There was some other guy that said he was speeding around 30 mph above the limit. It's not like I do that, I didn't even tell you how fast I go! I didn't even go into any details about the two tickets so how would you know how fast I drive??? Getting two tickets doesn't absolutly mean I don't drive safely. I'm sure everyone doesn't always go the speed limit. Even police officers go above the limit around here.
  • kwrohrerkwrohrer Member Posts: 11
    I had no problems getting them to replace my radio. When the second replacement didn't fix it, they did ask me to demonstrate the problem (which I did, on mine and another Celica in the lot, with their CD as well as mine). Eventually they gave me a free 6-cd changer (which does not skip, but it's in the trunk in an annoying spot). I'm sad to hear that people are still having the CD skip problem (even the Edmund's long-term test vehicle has it!) after all these months, though.

My GT-S (auto, loaded) had unevenly worn rear brake pads ("sticking calipers") and a "deformed" transmission gasket at my 15k service, but they fixed all that under warranty.

I'll try the Armor-all suggestion for the plastic, but didn't see anyone suggest anything for the leather...
    You should get your in dash CD player fixed even though they gave you a CD changer. Giving you a CD changer should only be a temporary fix. You should keep bugging them til changing the CD player until it doesn't skip. In a couple of weeks you'll probably regret not having the player fixed.
  • cornutzcornutz Member Posts: 5
    Can someone please tell me what GT and GTS stands for? I'm new to these "car terms". Oh, I just also wanted to share that I just got a Front End Mask for my Celica GT, I got it first to protect the paint from highway chips and scratches and those pesky bugs that stick to the car after a long drive on the highway, I also didn't realize how nice it looks with it on when compared to it's old look, it's one way I'm trying to distinguish the uniqueness of my car with all these new celicas driving around in my city. The look is nice and I highly recommend it, just don't buy one if you live in Stockton. The best deal I got on this is $97.00 at www.toyotapartswharehouse.com, this is nearly $30 off the list price of $129.00. If you know of a cheaper place to get one please let me know.
    GT and GT-S doesn't really stand for anything. It's just two different trim levels of the Celica. GT is the lower trim with a 5 speed manuel and 140 hp. GT-S is the higher trim with 6 speed manuel and 180 hp.
  • 00gts00gts Member Posts: 42
    I always thought "GT" stood for Grand Touring or Gran Turismo (like the game), and the "S" stood for Sport.
  • rpinks_99rpinks_99 Member Posts: 6
    I've had my 00 GT since February, and absolutely love it. I'm 47, and am going through the best mid-life crisis ever! Anyway, I've been reading these posts since January, when I first contemplated the Celica. I've just now gotten around to putting my two cent's worth in. My only problem with the Celica is the low front-end fairing. I went from two late-model Mustangs, and I admit I was a bit careless when pulling into a parking slot and ended up getting a few nasty scrapes on the front fairing. After the first time (and when I finished crying!),I was much more cautious when pulling into slots with bumper curbs. One thing I did was to go to my local parts store and purchase a roll of 1/2 inch black door molding and affixed it on the lower fairing between the fog lamps. Not only did that cover up come of my scrapings, but I hope it will help similar to a "bumper guard" in case I get a bit too close in the future. Surprisingly, it doesn't really look after market, either. But regardless of the looks, it makes me feel better knowing it's there! Anyone else discovered a few scrapes on their fairing and viewed them through tears as I did?
  • arena3arena3 Member Posts: 2
    OK I had a 2000 blue GT 5 speed for 8 months. I loved the car but just recently upgraded to a 2000 red GT automatic with the spoiler. FACT: the manuals on these cars are a tad faster but the shifts are always crud compared to a nice Nissan 300Zx or whatnot. I also dropped all my engine revs down by 30% with the automatic!!! This is the absolute best reason to buy the automatic. Please , do not even pretend to want a GT 5 speed. The engine is smooth of course but sounds like all hell on the freeway. Way to noisy. The GTS compensates with the 6 speeds if you dont mind an insanely tight gearbox and missing gears or whatnot. Hell I would buy one myself except it's 4 grand more for the same engine screaming like hell on earth.
    The GT is plenty fast and you will not be disappointed I assure you. You can order these cars with no options or all options. If your dealer tells you otherwise he absolutely sucks. A few of the options are an incredible waste of money and the dealer just wants the cash. So my advice is definitely the GT with an automatic and maybe the spoiler package with foglights. The moonroof and leather is decent for the price but I don't no a single Ferrari with a moonroof and I feel it distracts from a classic work of art that the celica is. By the way, I have had manual cars for years and am just not impressed with Celica ergonomics by the pedals. Get the 2002 Nissan 300zx coming out in manual if u must have a shifter.
    The celica is hands down the best deal going in cars unless u let the dealer stiff you. I cannot believe how many post on here are incorrect and it bothers me that people are so confused. Option ?'s, GT doesn't stand for anything ( duh, of course it does), how "wonderful" a blown 1.8 engine is when it is damn near impossible to even illegally use all the power of a regular GT. Oh well, just take this away I guess.........these message boards typically have the most wacked bunch of advice and incorrect information out there....... except mine of course party on then :)
  • arena3arena3 Member Posts: 2
    I forgot the best advice of all. Get these cars with the wheel covers. Then take the 550 dollars you saved and visit the tirerack.com Locate some awesome wheels there from Borbet, Momo, Moda etc. These german wheels absolutely kick [non-permissible content removed] in comparison to the same old tired design toyota puts on their car. Plus, your car will be even more distinctive and be the absolute "bomb" . I guarantee it. AAAAANNNNNNNdddddddddd, the front overhang on a celica is higher by several inches compared to Corvettes or Supras. It is very easy to work around and u really have to go out of your way to swack it , party on
  • blwblueblwblue Member Posts: 5
    Does anyone know the top gear speeds for GTS? Thanks.
    From the owners manual:

1st - 37 mph
    2nd - 58 mph
    3rd - 80 mph
    4th - 101 mph
    5th - 129 mph

6th doesn't have enough power to keep up after 5th and will actually pull you back. I would imagine these speeds would have been measured at redline. During racing, and going to the limiter, the speeds increase a few mph.
  • silverrocketsilverrocket Member Posts: 2
    I'VE HAD A WONDERFUL TWO MONTHS WITH MY SILVER GTS
    BEFORE I BOUGHT THIS CAR A HAD A 91 SUPRA TURBO WITH 147,000 MILES AND IT WAS FEELING OLD, I REALLY WANTED A NEWER SUPRA BUT THEY ARE SO HARD TO FIND. I TOOK THE WIFE OUT TO DINNER ONE NIGHT AND COAXED HER TO THE TOYO DEALER, JUST TO LOOK AROUND FOR ANY USED SUPRAS, AND SHE SAW THE CELICA, BUT I REALLY WANTED A SUPRA. WE LOOKED AT A BLACK GTS 6 SPEED AND I STARTED TO GET A LITTLE EXCITED AND SHE SAID LETS TAKE IT FOR A TEST DRIVE.( I COULDN'T BELIEVE SHE OFFERED B/C OF THE TIME IT USUALLY TAKES) SO OFF WE WENT WITH THE SALESMAN, HIM DRIVING FIRST, HE REALLY DIDN'T SELL ME THE CAR ON HIS LACK LUSTER ABILITY TO REALLY DRIVE THIS CAR. THEN IT WAS MY TURN, WHAT A DIFFERENCE THIS CAR WAS SCREAMING DOWN THE HIGHWAY AND WHAT REALLY GOT ME WAS WHEN I WENT UNDER AN OVERPASS AND HEARD THE EXHAUST SOUND, ALTHOUGH BE IT FOR A SPLIT SECOND, I WANTED THE CAR, BUT IN SILVER. TWO WEEKS LATER I GOT IT AND HAVE ENJOYED IT GREATLY. I JUST GOT BACK FROM A TRIP AND IT WAS AWESOME. AFTER ABOUT TWO WEEKS I REALIZED I HAD TO PERSONALIZE THE CAR SO I HAD THE WINDOWS TINTED AND I BOUGHT THE BRA. THE CAR REALLY LOOKS SHARPS. THE STEREO IS ONE OF THE BEST SOUNDING STOCK SYSTEMS I'VE EVER HEARD, BUT I HAVE A FEW QUESTIONS AND HOPE SOMEONE COULD ENLIGHTEN ME. FIRST WHAT IS THE POWER/WATTAGE RATING OF THE STEREO AND SECOND I CAN ONLY SEE SIX SPEAKERS, THE BACK SPEAKERS ARE HARD TO SEE WITH THE GRILLE, HOW ARE THE SPEAKERS CONFIGURED IN THE BACK?
  • roadroachroadroach Member Posts: 131
    Can't help you with the wattage on the stock stereo. The GTS speakers in the back consist of a single speaker (coax I believe) on either side of the back seats. The fronts consists of the tweeter mounted high on each side and a PAIR of speakers in each door down low (stacked one inside the other). That totals 8 speakers. I've had my door panel off and the ones in the door look pretty weird.

Welcome to Edmunds, silverrocket. Try turning off your 'Caps Lock' next time.
    I've heard the stereo puts out between 180-200 watts. I had a 140 watt stereo in my old car, and I usually kept the volume up to 25 out of 30. In my Celica, I only turn it up about half way and it's loud enough, even with the windows and moonroof open. There is also an amplifier mounted to the right of the glovebox, though I've heard it is pretty low quality (causes distortion, harsh frequencies)

The speakers in the lower part of the door consist of a mid-bass driver(6 1/2") and a midrange/tweeter combo (2"?) on a platform mounted above the woofer. The speakers in the rear panels are also 6 1/2" mid-basses, but seem to handle midrange better than the front.

Here's a page with pics of all of the speakers and the stereo:
    http://www.members.home.net/6spdceli/stockstereo.html
  • mznmzn Member Posts: 727
    Thank you, roadroach, for your community spirit. I appreciate your hospitality!

carlady/host
    I couldn't believe it when my dealer told me that oil changes for this new Celica is every 7,500 miles, based on the fact that it's a newly redesigned VVTL engine with top of the line engineering. Is he full of crap? Then the manual also says 7,500. That's more than double the usual oil change every 3,000 miles. Is this trustworthy or will we all blow out our engines taking it in for a changer every 7,500?
  • roadroachroadroach Member Posts: 131
    Read the fine print. I don't have my manual in front of me but I think that they recommend half of that interval (3750 miles) for "extreme duty" or "adverse conditions" or some such language. What qualifies as 'extreme duty'? I don't know, but I don't want by GTS to grenade on me if I go 7500 miles between changes and then have some lawyer tell be that 'stop & go' driving qualifies as 'extreme duty'.

I go 3750 between changes on mine which helps the oil change intervals to line up nicely with the remainder of the maintenance schedule. Besides, I get lifetime free oil changes where I purchased my car (Champion Toyota - Austin). Of course, they can't seem to change the oil in less than 2 hours........
  • kwrohrerkwrohrer Member Posts: 11
    according to the book. If you're *primarily* towing, driving very short distances, or any of the other "harsh" conditions, they recommend oil change every 5k, but stop-and-go isn't "harsh" I don't think. Check your maintenance manual, though, as I don't have the list of "harsh" conditions memorized.

The 7.5k oil change interval goes nicely in hand with the 7.5k tire rotation interval. Of course, the 15k service is $180 or so, but most of that is labor on 90 minutes of poking around...

(On the other hand, the dealer where I bought it recommends oil changes every 3.75k and the 15k work every 7.5k. And that's what they give the coupons for.)

As for getting my in-dash CD player fixed, their continual replacement efforts and their inability to find anything wrong with the ones they took out of my car told me that Toyota and the radio manufacturer didn't have a flippin' clue between the two of them. Their idea of trying a "different kind of radio" was giving me one "direct from Toyota" rather than direct from the actual radio manufacturer. Without some evidence they came up with a clue about why all of mine, plus the one in the car they had me test drive to see if I could swap radios with it, skip, I wouldn't waste my time taking it back yet again.

Illinois lemon law doesn't say the defect has to affect drivability, but it does have a 12,000 mile limitation, and I drive too far to work to have gotten in my four radio repair failures in the 12k miles. But if I'd found my brake problem at 7.5k instead of 15k, I would've seriously wanted a new car, maybe my money back. (Especially since the brake-rubbing sound in the rear came back despite cleaned calipers and new rear pads and rotors...)

Let's just hope Toyota knows what was wrong and has quietly fixed it for 2001. I may test drive a 2001 just to see if the radio works, then ask for a replacement if it does...

(looking for a spare magazine for the 6-changer; Best Buy has magazines with every other icon but that one...)
  • alex12601alex12601 Member Posts: 6
    Hi? I went to dealer and ordered from Japan and now i got another a month until I get a car. I got Celica GTS with all options but no alarm. Anywayz I'm trying to replace light bulb to Hyper white but nobody knows what type of bulb 2000 Celica takes. They said they don't have any info yet. Can anyone tell me what type of Bulb it takes? I know there are low beam and High beam. I'm talking about one with projector one wich is low-beam. Is it H-7 or 9005?
  • QX498QX498 Member Posts: 9
    Hello

I know this has prob. been asked a million times but i want to know if $23000 is a good price for a gts loaded with everything

Thanks
    Rob
  • oxhoofoxhoof Member Posts: 8
    I just bought a 2000 Celica GT-S automatic with the sportshift. I'm concern about how the sportshift works. The dealership told me that i could keep the accelerator pedal down as i'm shifting up or down. However, the manual stated that i must release the accelerator before i shift. My friends tell me all i have to do is just ease the accelerator a little bit, but not fully. Please somebody tell the facts on what i can or cannot do with the sportshift. i don't want to damage the transmission
    It's safe to keep the accelerator floored. It's still an automatic transmission. The only difference is that you can control when the shifts occur (to a point, anyway), not how they are executed (no clutch). What you read in the manual was about Park -> Reverse -> Neutral -> Drive shifting, not using Sportshift (yellow caution on p. 89, right?). Your friends are probably talking about a regular manual transmission.
    Heh, I don't know if the forum admin. will remove this post, but I figure what the hell, it's my opinion!

I think the drivers are way too critical of the Celica in their Long Term Road Test.

-------------------TRANSMISSION-------------------
    Mr. Brauer complained about difficulty in shifting smoothly from 1st to 2nd at full throttle. I haven't had any problems with this since I became accustomed to the transmission (and this is my first stick). The key to smooth shifting is to gradually release the clutch, not just dumping it.

Mr. Romans complained about clutch engagement, too. He says it happens to quickly, and he even stalled it twice. Solution: again, release the clutch slower. It's all about finesse. He also said the throttle and brakes were not progressive. If they were not, you'd be peeling out/crawling from every start and screeching to a stop/rolling through every light! The brakes on this car are excellent. There is always more braking power in the pedal, even when it seems like you're at the max. And I love his comment "It is possible to drive this car smoothly, but it takes an unnecessary level of concentration." I'm sorry if it interrupts his cellphone conversations! I thought driving a car was supposed to be about concentration (many people may disagree, and their driving habits show it!).

Mr. Chirico complained about not being able to stay above 6000 RPM's on each shift. The key to this is to powershift. Just slip the clutch while giving gas into the next gear and you'll stay in the second cam. You can also take it up to 8200, and it will land you at or about 6000. I've actually been able to shift from 1st to 2nd and land at 7000 RPM's. And, unlike Mr. Brauer's comment, it makes the shift much smoother.

--------------------VISIBILITY--------------------
    Once you get used to this car's blind spots, you'll adjust. The mirrors need to be adjusted correctly (I posted about this some time ago, topic #281). I've never had to adjust my mirror to see the curb next to me, and I've never hit a curb.

---------------RATTLES, NOISES, ETC.--------------
    Enough of the comparisons to BMW's! This is a Toyota, not a BMW/Lexus/Mercedes/Acura/etc.! It's a sporty car, not a luxury car! It costs $25k, not $40k! It has a 4 cylinder that revs all the way up to 7800 RPM's (and beyond)! It is not loaded down with lots of heavy sound deadening material! Of course it's gonna be loud! I've even heard that the Integra Type R is much louder. You keep complaining that the Celica isn't a "Type R killer." Of course not, it's a mass production car, unlike the ITR. Try comparing the comfort and everyday driveabililty of the ITR to the GT-S and you'll see the difference! Besides, The GT-S was aimed at the Integra GS-R, which it surpasses in every category.

The rattling sunroof is caused by the the rails the cover slides on. They are not tight enough, so it vibrates and rattles. The rails just need to be slightly bent outward at the rear to tighten their contact with the cover (a screwdriver will work).

And give me a break about Mr. Gardner's date! I'm sure she wouldn't be complaining about loud engine noise if she were in a Mustang, Camaro, Corvette, Viper, Porsche, etc. BTW, the reverse beep can be disabled by cutting a wire. And if she is concerned about people looking at her, she's in the wrong car!

-----------------MINOR NITPICKING-----------------
    This is just me being pickey about minor mislabeling.

June '00: The GT-S engine was called VVT-i (Variable Valve Timing with Intelligence), when it's really VVTL-i (Variable Valve Timing and Lift with Intelligence). The lift part is the second cam profile which engages at 6000 RPM's to increase intake and exhaust volume. This is pretty much the main difference between the GT and GT-S engines.

August '00: Variable valve timing was described as engaging at 6000 RPM's, when it is actually engaged all the time (this is what makes VVTL-i more advanced than VTEC). The second cam is what engages at 6000 RPM's.

--------------------------------------------------
    I'm sure most of these problems are the result of the drivers not being accustomed to the car. I just don't want these reviews to scare off potential buyers. This is an amazing car with incredible potential. It is fast, responsive, and comfortable. The only real problem listed in these reports is the sunroof creak, which can be resolved.
  • dabeldabel Member Posts: 1
    You hit the nail on the head; however I think this can all be attributed to false expectations for the Celica.

One complains of lack of performance, another complains of lack of luxury. Some of us like a car that can give us adequate performance (0-60 under 7secs is enough for me, at least until parts start coming in) and a nice enough ride. Everyone that has seen my car has complimented every little bit. They sit inside in awe of the lush leather seats and gripping console which wraps delicately around the driver and finally they all ooohhh and ahhhhh when they notice the pedals. Then I start the car, warm it up, and lurch it past 6k rpm and all I heard were "whoahhh"'s.

It's a car that will get you where you want to go, quickly if you want, and in reasonable comfort. It's not a barely-legal street racer. It's not a luxury suv. It's a sports car for the masses. One can only hope the editors stop comparing the car to what it isn't and start looking at what it is.

SIDE NOTE: I've had no prob with the sunroof. The dealerships know of this problem, stop it by, eat a doughnut, and drive away. If you can see the side of your car in the side view mirrors they're wrong. If you don't wanna turn your head when changing lanes, fix the mirrors. I'd hope that people that are around cars for a living would know how to adjust mirrors. And finally - it's a 1.8 liter 4 cylinder stick shift japanese car. It's not gonna pull like a viper - so give her a little gas when starting and whoever Mr. Experienced Stick Shift Driver was shouldn't have any more problems with killing the car. And again - a Ferrari is a Ferrari, a Rolls Royce is a Rolls Royce. You could complain of the bumpy ride in the Ferrari or the of the Rolls Royce not being a McClaren killer, but then you would have the Long Term Road Test of the Celica GT-S. I think I've made my point.
    Does anyone know if TRD is coming out with an Intake System for the 2000 Celica GT-S? I've seen other companies like Rod Millen have long come out their own version of intakes. i don't really trust the 3rd party ones. Is TRD worth the increased price? Or is the cheaper stuff just as good when it comes to performance and reliablity.
  • djtrancedjtrance Member Posts: 3
    I went to a dealer today and they had 2001 celica GT's. I have been looking around on the net and didnt even know they were avaiable yet! The dealer told me there wasnt really any noticeable changes between the two models and I couldnt really see any myself. Anybody else seen the 2001 and now of any differences???

Thanks!
  • wscc1wscc1 Member Posts: 21
    Has anyone had any problems with their Celica's fuel gauge? The one on my 2000 GTS will ocessionally go blank (all bars off) and the low fuel light will come on. Then it clears up after a short while. This always happens in the morning, usually (I think) on a cool morning after a warm day. Other than that, I can find no consistent factors. Of course, it will not do it at the dealer and they could find no problem.
  • hbarkhbark Member Posts: 26
    To djtrance, where did you see those 2001's? I'm in PA, haven't seen them here yet.
  • djtrancedjtrance Member Posts: 3
    I am in Phoenix, Arizona. They *just* got here with more on the way. I guess all celicas are made over seas then are shipped over by boat to L.A. and then distributed from there. At least this is what i was told. I ordered one that will be in L.A. in the next few days then here. I just havent seen any specs on the 2001 gt but I have seen the car. Go figure. Dealer told me everything was the same.
  • dianne4toyotadianne4toyota Member Posts: 343
    Yes, Celica 2001 is a "carryover" model from 2000. No changes other than an average $110 increase in pricing...

-Dianne
  • toydrivertoydriver Member Posts: 227
    I've owned my 00 gts for 5 months and have ignored the hatch and back cargo room, until yesterday. Well, while at a local garden store I purchased seven potted plants. Laying the back seats down and covering the carpet with plastic, I managed to get everything home undamaged. I assure you that stuff would not have made it in the trunk of the usual 4-door sedan.

Just a positive note for the versatility of this little sports job. Great car.
  • alxalx Member Posts: 1
    I am trying to figure out if I should buy a gt or a gts. I am definitely getting stick. I'v read all the post and considered the only real difference between the gt and the gts with all the upgrades is the 6th gear , which I read it isn't as powerful and pull's the car back. I just need a car not for racing though. So which one...

Also what is the normal gear ratios for the gt and gts?

Does the gts really require premium gas?

Is there really a big difference between the 6 or 8 speakers?

I was looking at the sunroof in the car and barley has any space to go back douse it slide all the way back??

In the dash there is a little ash tray looking compartment,what is it??

Is the antenna a retractable, is it automatic or do you have to push a button?

Are there ducts in the back of the car??

I know it a lot and a pain but I would really appreciate the help?? Thanks in advance!!!
    Does the TRD air filter really make a significant difference in the performance in the 2000 Celica?
    How much more horsepower does the air filter give the engine? Will it cause my car to consume more gas? If anyone knows the true facts please let me know. Thanks!
    OK, here we go! :)

-------------------GT VS GT-S---------------------
    The main difference between the GT and GT-S is the engine. The GT's engine has 140 hp and 125 lb-ft torque, and uses VVT-i (Variable Valve Timing with Intelligence) to maximize power and fuel efficiency. The GT-S engine has 180 hp and 130 lb-ft torque. However, it uses VVTL-i (Variable Valve Timing and Lift with Intelligence), which is the same technology used in the GT, plus a second cam profile (Lift) which increases air flow through the engine at 6000 RPM and above. The GT-S's engine's power rises dramatically at this point, whereas the GT's power drops. If you really don't need the increased power, go for the GT. Best thing to do would be to test drive both. I was planning on getting a GT, but I'm extremely happy I went with a GT-S (VVTL-i ROCKS!!!!!!). Oh yeah, 6th gear in the GT-S only pulls the car back when you're around 130 mph!

-------------------GEAR RATIOS--------------------
    GT gear ratios:
    1st: 3.17:1
    2nd: 1.90:1
    3rd: 1.39:1
    4th: 1.03:1
    5th: 0.81:1

GT-S gear ratios:
    1st: 3.17:1
    2nd: 2.05:1
    3rd: 1.48:1
    4th: 1.17:1
    5th: 0.92:1
    6th: 0.73:1

----------------------GAS-------------------------
    The GT-S doesn't require premium gas, but using it is the only way to achieve maximum performance. It has a knock sensor that adjusts to prevent damage to the engine.

----------------------STEREO----------------------
    The only difference in the speakers is the addition of extra tweeters mounted on the top of the doors, near the side view mirrors. The other thing you get with the premium stereo option is an amplifier that produces a noticeable increase in treble, bass, and overall loudness. If you're planning to get an aftermarket head unit, don't waste your money on the premium stereo. If not, the premium stereo is pretty decent.

--------------------MOONROOF----------------------
    The moonroof (can anyone tell me once and for all what the difference between a sunroof and a moonroof?) rises first, then slides back, outside the car. I saw the last generation Celica's moonroof, and it looked much smaller.

------------------COMPARTMENT---------------------
    If you're talking about the little compartment above the radio, is just for storage. Fits tapes fine, but forget about CD's (I'm planning on putting a monitor in there for my car MP3 player!:D). It has a rubber mat on the bottom to stop vibrations and to keep things from sliding around. If you're talking about the little compartment in between the HVAC controls and the shifter, yes it is an ash tray.

---------------------ANTENNA----------------------
    The antenna just sits there, swaying in the wind. You can unscrew it easily, but that's all it does. There is also an additional antenna in the rear window (looks like part of the defroster), though it does not pick up AM signals.

----------------------DUCTS-----------------------
    There are no ducts in the bumper. The black horizontal groove is there just for show.
  • coupe2001coupe2001 Member Posts: 100
    I would like to know how much louder the TRD exhaust is over stock. It seems like a easy Mod. for extra HP, but I don't like the glasspack sound. How loud is it.
  • doug_x90doug_x90 Member Posts: 5
    The October issue of Sport Compact Car has an
    interesting, and I think honest, comparison and
    ranking of these four cars.

The Type R was top dog, followed by the GTS. The
    Lude and the GSR were third and fourth. The
    article has horsepower/ton vs speed curves for each car which are pretty interesting.

Toyota has left the GSR behind and given the ITR
    some very healthy competition. With everyone
    buying SlowUtilityVehicles these days,
    we should all hope that these companies keep
    pushing each other in the affordable compact
    sports market.
  • marktestmarktest Member Posts: 43
    00gts has the main scoop, but I would differ on the use of regular fuel. The GTS engine runs at 11.5:1 compression ration, I think it would be foolish to run low octane fuel. The engine will try to compensate, but performance and long term wear and tear will be the price. Also, it would void the warranty should you have an engine related problem and they find out.

The engines are also completely different bore and strokes, but who'd notice. For the 5 ft-lbs of extra torque it's pretty much up to a personal test drive and your desire to pay 20 cents more per gallon for fuel. I strongly recommend AGAINST the GTS/automatic. The GTS engine overall is not an impressive performer and is only made acceptable with the 6-speed.

The top gear does pull down the top speed, but that is common with many cars. The 6-speed gives you the ability to keep the RPM at or above 6000 during hard accelerations. This is the only place the engine performs well, unfortunately thats only 28% of the allowable rev range.

Don't get me wrong, I like the car, but you have to realize that is more of a sporty economy car than an economical sports car.

The GTS also gives benefit of the 4-wheel discs (N/A on the GT). The small compartment above the radio is for GPS navigation in Japan, which is not available here in the US, so it's just storage.

If your question about ducts in the back is regarding ventilation of the back seat - NO, but that's not a problem. No one will ever want to sit there. The back seat is only acceptable for small pets and amputee children.

Good luck and good deal hunting.
    I'm a celica GT owner and of course one of the main reasons for purchasing the celica is for it's dynamic design and look, totally unique and stylish as well as sporty looking, but that's if you are looking at it from a frontal view. The front looks awesome but the backside isn't very attractive. I would have to say that the design of the back really pales in comparison to the look of say an Mitsubishi Eclipse or a Ford Mustang even. The 1999 or 1998 Celica GT has a much better look from behind than the newer 2000 one, wouldn't you all agree? The back has a huge bumper and it just looks very empty and plane as well as squarish and large. You would think that the uniqueness of the frontal design would somehow extend to the back but Nope! It hasn't! I think as a very good suggestion, they should redesign the back look for newer models so that it would look good ALL AROUND. I would love to get your opinions on this, agree or disagree, and if you disagree, why? What makes you like the look?
    I agree that the back end of the Celica is not it's best feature. I don't find it to be all out ugly, but it takes a little time to get use to. The high tail wedge shape results in a driver's view being limited to the ears-forward. The blind spot on this car is far and away the worst of any car I have driven.

Others claim that you never need to look back if the mirrors are adjusted properly, but they'll be the first whining to the cop that they couldn't see because of the poor rear view. You just can't see to back up in parking lots and a quick lane change borders on dangerous. Any redesign to improve the outside appearance should also try to improve the view from inside-out.
    I think the back side has a tough clean look like a lamborghini or a Esprit. The clean look is functional too because it allows for lower wind turbulence. stick your hand out of a stationwagon rear window and you will see what im talking about? I would like to see clear tailights though.
    A lamborgini looK??? You gotta be joking me, now where close. It's too big!!! Although my car has a spoiler, that does add a better look to it, so if you want your car to look good from the back side, add a spoiler, but even then it looks somewhat ordinary, but not UNIQUE as the front.
    Does anybody have information on a mod chip that's gonna change the high speed cam to kick in earler than 6000 rmp? maybe at 5000 rmp?
    if there is such a thing, when is it gonna come out and what's the price?
    What company is gonna make this upgrade?
  • mah3mah3 Member Posts: 2
    Has anyone heard of any problems with the 2000 Celica GTS concerning the engine, clutch or gear box? I just took my GTS in this morning to have the engine, clutch and gear box replaced. I was told mine was the third or fourth GTS that this has happened to in the past month or so. They said that they have been having problems with this car and they are very frustrated with having to replace so many engines. They said some combination of problems with the gear box and clutch was causing the engines to overrev and as a result, the engine is blown. I just wondered if this was only happening where I live or if anyone else has experienced it or heard of it.
    Yep, this has been happening for a while now, almost ever since the new Celica was released. The gear ratios in the 6-speed GT-S are very close, and so are the shifter gates. The problem happens most often when someone is shifting from 5th to 4th at high RPM's, and they mistake 2nd for 4th since they are so close. This causes the engine to rev beyond the limiter, causing valve float.

Valve float is when the pistons are rising and falling so fast, they don't return to their lowest point, but still rise the normal amount. Eventually they will rise so high that they hit the valve covers, damaging the covers and themselves beyond repair (generally called bending the valves).

Toyota did install tighter shifter springs after 1/00 to try to alleviate this problem, but apparently it hasn't. Any Celica with 019684 or higher as the last six digits of their VIN has these springs.

You're lucky your dealer is replacing your engine. Some dealers will tell you it's your fault and try to get out of replacing it.

I haven't really heard of dealerships replacing the transmission and clutch due to bent valves, though. Did the dealership say what was wrong with them, or if they're replacing them with different parts than the originals?
  • mah3mah3 Member Posts: 2
    I haven't been told much about the actual repair process as of yet. I was told someone from corporate would be contacting me on Monday to discuss it with me. They said they needed to replace the engine and shifter springs. I also told them that my clutch felt "wrong" or "loose". I couldn't come up with any other way to describe it. They said they would take a look at that as well. They said they have also had to replace clutches on some of the cars that have had this same problem. Hopefully, come tomorrow, I will know more about the problem and exactly what needs to be done to remedy it. Do you have any idea how this will affect the long-term performance and resale value of this car? I don't want to end up with a car that will be worth significantly less than it should be because of this problem.
    no, im not joking, it doesn't look exactly like a lamborghini, but a scaled down modern lamborghini, yes! Both cars have a steep front end and Jacked up looking rear end. the rear end is flat with high taillamps and bottom scoop. Even the spoiler looks exactly the same. People have been droolin' over the Lamborghini all these years and now toyota has captured some of that flavor. Its so subliminal though most people dont realize it.
    I got lost in the description of valve float. I learned in school damage was the result of the the pistons hitting the valves because the valve springs could not return the valves quickly enough due to the high rotational speed. In other words, the valves "float in mid-air" (off the cam).
    Since they are replacing the engine instead of rebuilding it, there should be no loss in performance (you also get a second chance on breaking it in). However, it probably will affect the resale value. How much I don't know, but any repair that major usually has a negative effect.
This discussion has been closed.