Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2000 Toyota Celica GTS

Comments

• Options
    00gts00gts Member Posts: 42
    Heh, if you want to see a Lamborghini that looks like a Celica, check this one out:

http://myhome.netsgo.com/handman/car/cala/cala.HTML
  • Options
    coupe2001coupe2001 Member Posts: 100
    cool!
  • Options
    oxhoofoxhoof Member Posts: 8
    Does anybody have information on a mod chip that's
    gonna change the high speed cam to kick in earler
    than 6000 rmp? maybe at 5000 rmp?
    if there is such a thing, when is it gonna come
    out and what's the price?
    What company is gonna make this upgrade?
  • Options
    So far, I've heard El Prototypes and HKS are working on VVTL-i controllers that will allow you to change the RPM's required for the second cam changeover (no prices as of yet). Right now, the second cam kicks in at 6000, but with these controllers, it could possibly be set as low as 5000! So far, there have been reports of a 20 hp gain at the wheels at the lowered changeover! The controllers may also be combined with an air/fuel controller like A'PEXi's Super Air Flow Converter (http://www.phronline.com/super-afc.htm). Can't wait!
  • Options
    roadroachroadroach Member Posts: 131
    I would take these reported 'gains' with a grain of salt. If there was such a benefit to setting the changeover at 5000, why would Toyota set it at 6000? What possible reason would they have for purposefully restricting the engine by having the changeover so high?

What is the possible downside to installing one of these chips?
  • Options
    If you look at dynos of the 6-speed GT-S, you'll notice a large increase in power at 6000 RPM's (second cam kicking in). The 20 hp gain should be right at the changeover point (wherever it was set during testing), not throughout the entire rev range. Exhaust and intake can gain around 15 hp at 6000 while losing power at low RPM's and gaining at high RPM's. If anything, it would be good to buy this so you won't have to be as hard on the engine and trans. with the 6-speed to keep it in the second cam. Auto owners will benefit the most from this as they will finally be able to stay in the second cam.

I have no clue why Toyota programmed the changeover at 6000, but there's got to be a good one. Otherwise, they wouldn't have needed to put in a 6-speed to keep it in the second cam.

The only downsides of the controllers I can see at the moment are that they will probably void parts of your warranty, and there may be a reduction in fuel economy.
  • Options
    mt_kilimanjaromt_kilimanjaro Member Posts: 3
    Coin Holder - One "convenient" feature that is missing from the Celica is a coin holder to store quarters, dimes, and nickels. I've got a my coins scattered in the cell-phone/sun-glasses storage compartment, the cup holders, and the larger CD case between the seats. When I zoom up to a toll booth, I'm scrambling to find $0.40 from these three places. I wish I could buy a coin holder that would replace the cigarette ash tray compartment. How and where do you organize your coins?
  • Options
    mangohaggismangohaggis Member Posts: 4
    Has anyone tried installing child seats? I realize how tight the back seats are and that an adult has to be a contortionist to fit back there, but is there enough room to fit a child seat with the front seats reclined all the way back?
  • Options
    uapiggeuapigge Member Posts: 1
    i am considering buying a 2000 celica GT-S and i was wondering if any of you think i should wait for the 2001's becuase of the problem with the shifting. have any of you had good luck with the price being lowered alot.
  • Options
    I recommend you buy the 2000 GTS at clearance price. The car is same exact in the 2001. Only it's about $150.00 more. So get the 2000 GTS!
  • Options
    jerry61jerry61 Member Posts: 14
    I know this is a message board for the GTS but I didn't want to create a new topic for the 2000 GT. I just picked my new Carbon Blue 5 speed GT on Friday and I love it!!! It has alloy wheels, spoiler, rear windhield wiper and moon roof. I got the alloy wheels and spoiler for FREE (long story) and the rest of the options and car at invoice prices in Portsmouth, VA. The only criticism thus far is the not so much head room (I'm 5'11".) But I had an Acura Integra with the same head room and it never bothered me too much. I love the smooth and crisp shifting and the pep it has for 140 HP. I cannot wait until after the break-in period is over. I am happy I bought the GT over the Tiburon.
  • Options
    I ordered a absolutely red 2001 GT loaded with ABS,ACCULASER CARBON FIBER DASH, UPGRADE PKG, 3 IN 1 COMBO-GTS 8 SPEAKER STEREO W/AMP, SPOILER/FOG LIGHTS, CARGO NET, MATS, ALL WEATHER GUARD PKG . SKIPPED ON THE ALLOY'S CAUSE I WANT CHROME 17"'S AND DUMPED THE SUNROOF CAUSE I NEED THE EXTRA HEAD ROOM. MY DEALER TOLD ME I MAY WAIT 120 DAYS. Got it for $18,400 thanks to Edmunds price report!!! roughly $500 over invoice!
  • Options
    roadroachroadroach Member Posts: 131
    00gts - still gotta wonder why Toyota went to so much trouble to have the changeover point at 6000 rather than 5000. I don't doubt you'll see SOME gain in power; just wondering what the downside is (after all if 6k was good enough for Toyota yet the chip makers say 5k is better, then hey, why not 4k or 3k? There's got to be a damn good reason why the engineers choose 6k for the changeover).

mangohaggis - I bought my GTS when my daughter was less than 2 months old. When placing a rear-facing infant seat in the back, you can't run the front seat all the way back or recline it at all. I put the infant seat behind the passenger seat and when the whole family had to go somewhere, we took my wife's 'runner. My daughter is now old enough to use a forward facing seat. It fits just fine; the front seats can go all the way back and recline a moderate amount also. We no longer have to take my wife's car everywhere 8^).

mt_kilimanjaro - isn't there a coin holder at the front of your CD holder between the seats? There is in mine......or at least that's what I think it is.....

uapigge - no difference in the 2000 vs 2001. Toyota made a running change in the shifter springs to address this issue. I believe the new springs started showing up in cars around Jan. or Feb.
  • Options
    toydrivertoydriver Member Posts: 227
    I have a 2000 gts, and live in a northern climate. I would like to store the car in our garage for the winter. What do I need to consider if I won't be driving it for 4 months? Gas, tires, etc. Should I start it and warm the engine occaisionally? Any recommendations for a cover to keep it from getting scratched while in storage?
  • Options
    mangohaggismangohaggis Member Posts: 4
    Thanks roadroach. My daughter turns three in December so she's in a forward-facing seat. I want this car, but my conscience is holding me back. Is it cruel and unusual punishment to put your daughter back there? The window sill looks so high, and the close proximity of the front seats would obscure any forward view. Should I care? Or just buy the car? My other option is a GTI; but god I want the GTS.
  • Options
    Here's a theory for why Toyota programmed the changeover at 6000 RPM's:

I've just heard the GT-S will be available in Germany in November (called "TS" instead of "GT-S"). It will have 192 hp! It's just about the same thing as we have here (same engine, body, tranny,etc.), except in Germany, they have less strict emissions laws, so the exhaust system must be less restrictive. I would imagine Toyota might have put the changeover at 6K for emissions. The Japanese Celica also makes more HP than ours because of it.

Since the second cam increases the intake's airflow, it also increases the exhaust's airflow. The amount of exhaust fumes put out at changeover might have been beyond the limit of a Low Emissions Vehicle at 5K, so Toyota raised it to 6K. And since most countries have different emissions laws, they programmed the ECU for the highest limit (USA) for mass production.

Well, there's my theory. Any opinions?

As for setting the changeover below 5K, it would cause a decrease in performance because the engine won't be able to use that much air at one time. The second cam is there to increase airflow at higher RPM's. That's the reason most every other engine without one (or at least variable valve timing) has their power drop off around 4K: not enough air. Just like with VTECH controllers, you need to experiment to find the best changeover point. Weather will also play a part in this, since warmer air and humidity have a negative effect on power.
  • Options
    carameltigercarameltiger Member Posts: 1
    Well my friend is planning on buying a Celica next month and was wondering about a couple of things. Well one would be does anybody have the automatic, cause driving in D.C. everyday during traffic hours(which is pretty much all day) is a pain in the [non-permissible content removed]. So is it worth buying an automatic instead of having to shift all day in this terrible stop and go traffic. The other question is that he has his rims from his last car and was wondering if they could fit on the Celica, they are 18x8 rims. ANy feedback would be greatly appreciated.
  • Options
    See comment #324
  • Options
    marktestmarktest Member Posts: 43
    Unless you want the 4-wheel discs, get the GT/Automatic. I have the GTS/Auto - and it's a disappointing performer, requires premium fuel, and it appears that it may not give any better acceleration than the GT/auto. You'd also save a couple grand.

I doubt an 18x8 wheel would fit in the Celica wheel well.
  • Options
    I have the 2000 gts auto, fully loaded, and love it. I enjoy the optional steering wheel mounted sport shift, which is a fun toy, but normally I drive in auto D mode. I don't think the gt model has a sportshift option. I don't pretend that this is a high performance race car, but just a sporty, economical, good looker.
  • Options
    I have the 2000 gts auto, fully loaded, and love it. I enjoy the optional steering wheel mounted sport shift, which is a fun toy, but normally I drive in auto D mode. I don't think the gt model has a sportshift option. I don't pretend that this is a high performance race car, but just a sporty, economical, good looker.
  • Options
    shatheedshatheed Member Posts: 1
    I want to replace factory air filter with K&N filter.
    1. Has anyone done this?

2. How do you get in air filter box (not in manual that came with car and dealer had no clue)?

3. Did you notice a change in performance or MPG.

Thanks
  • Options
    the 18" wheels will fit! I ordered the TRD exhaust for my GT from Sterling Motors in TX, and the TRD sales guy said they have a TRD Celica show car with 19" rims and 35 series tires. They will fit, but he is gonna hear alot of road noise from the tires. Toyota didn't sound proof this car due to the weight. I agree with marktest on the GT auto. The GT is much cheaper and it will be alot cheaper on insurance. Your friend can upgrade to TRD exhaust and Intake mod. and easily gain 25 HP.
  • Options
    rascal8rascal8 Member Posts: 54
    Yes, I have changed out my factory filter. Getting to the filter is not rocket science, I don't know why the dealer had no clue. Open the hood. On the lower right side of engine bay is the air filter box. It is held shut with some metal "clamps". All you have to do is loosen the clamps and the top of the filter box will pull up. It is tightly fitted in there so you may have to exert some force. Once the top is off you can see the stock filter.
    I did not use a K&N and never have. I have heard the air flow is better but the filtering ability of K&N is not that great. I used, and highly recommend, an Amsoil foam filter. It is an oil soaked two stage filter. From what I have read it provides better air flow AND filters better. You can check them out at www.amsoil.com. Of course with these things it is difficult to determine for yourself how well it is filtering or how much additional horses it provides, so it is hard to answer that.
  • Options
    wscc1wscc1 Member Posts: 21
    I have replaced the air filter on my GTS with a K&N filter. (I had one on my '88 CRX-Si for over 200K miles, it worked great.) I have the GTS shop manuals and there is no info on how to change the filter. Here's how: from the front looking at the engine the filter box is on your right. At the back of the box are three "snap-spring" clamps (at about each end and in the middle) - pop them off. The front is held by a few tabs in slots that you have to push - hard - to the back of the engine to release. Then remove the filter, pop in the new one. Slide the top of the filter box into the front tabs and push down. Then clamp the spring clamps. Not all that easy. The one under the air tube is impossible to get with normal sized hands. I had to use a strong wire looped around the clamp then lifted it into position and then prey it on with a screw driver. Great engineering! Good luck.
  • Options
    jared10jared10 Member Posts: 1
    Hello!? If you've ever driven down the road and
    thought about the luxury of being away from the
    rain - and liked it, don't by a Celica! I love
    the car to death, but I think Toyota really screwed up on this one. First of all, let it be known that the car was great when I first bought it... Since then, I've already had the headlamp
    assemblies replaced - due to extra moisture, the
    cd player replaced - because I like to actually hear music (the old one skipped non-stop) and now it is in for the windows. If you drive a Celica or even look at one closely, you'll notice that the driver's and passenger's window has no frame
    connecting with the actual chasis of the car.
    Although this may not be a problem at first, as
    the car ages - about two weeks, the seal becomes
    relaxed and the next time you wash your car, you
    notice some splatters on the window that just
    won't dry no matter how many times you run a towel, shami, etc. across the drops/splatters. DON'T BE ALARMED - this is because the water is on the inside of the glass. Just simply open the door and wipe the excess water off. I'm not the only one - I have two friends with the same problem. Now don't get me wrong, I expect a car to lose it's seals and water-tight luxury........ after a few YEARS! But hello people - it's brand new! Check into those lemon laws!

ps. I'm really a nice guy.
  • Options
    swankydudeswankydude Member Posts: 3
    Is anyone out there having problems with the fuel gauge in their 2000 Celica GT (auto)??? For some unexplained reasons, the fuel gauge in my car has been acting up, especially, during the cold start in the morning. The fuel gauge will register as empty (or really low) when in fact I pumped a full tank of gas in car the night before. The good news, however, is that the car’s computer corrects itself usually in 5-10 minutes of driving. It is problem shows up predominately in the morning. Any suggestions???
  • Options
    I haven't experienced any fuel guage problem on my Celica yet. However, It's been a confirmed fact there are some minor problems car. CD Player skips,(i got that problem) noise coming from the sunroof, water seal leak around the window door, dom light won't shut off and rust forming around the brakes which sticks to the car rims. You better bring the car back to the dealer!!!
  • Options
    I've never heard anything about problems with the dome light yet! Could you fill us in on it?
  • Options
    sergeissergeis Member Posts: 134
    During ride fuel gauge has a long time constant to filter out fuel level fluctuation in the tank due to bumps/hills/etc. Similar thing would happen if you fill your tank without turning off the engine - it will take long time before the gauge moves up. When you start the engine computer should pick up the current level, i.e. effectively turn off this long time constant for a moment. You may try the same aproach as with Windows - turn the engine off and start it again if that low level annoys you. Obviously there is some random time gap between the fuel sensor reporting right voltage and computer ADC picking it up.
  • Options
    Well, may GTS dome light sometimes won't shut-off. I tried opening and closing both doors and the rear hatch. i had to turn the car on and off to make it shut off. i guess i kinda fix the promblem when i installed a viper security alarm. Everybody know that when you engage the alarm the car's electrical system is linked to the alarm. i guess the alarm makes it shut off.

Has anybody out ther installed the Rod Millin body kit?
    is it good? does it make the car really low to the ground? How about the RMM spoiler?
  • Options
    bindaasbindaas Member Posts: 1
    Hello,

I am planning to buy a Celica GTS 2000 in this week and i wanted a few suggestiosn from its owners. I want know how comfortable it is in Winters, the heating system, the window wiper - does it run fine in the cold weather and the snowy roads

AR
  • Options
    mistizamistiza Member Posts: 1
    I bought a 2000 GT after a week of internet reviews and research and comparing it to other cars, as well as the GTS. I love my GT! It's a 5 speed - and I've driven an automatic ALL OF MY DRIVING LIFE. I test drove both the GT and the GTS. Do yourself a favor and drive both (more than once). The 180 hp only kicks in the GTS after 6800rpms - that's near redline! Unless you plan on driving that fast on a regular basis, go with the GT. Save yourself the 4000+ dollar difference. It even feels more powerful than the GTS in the lower gears. I drive in city traffic so I'm in the low gears most of the time. I used to hate driving. Now I volunteer. Mine's fully loaded and comfortable. I haven't had any problems like the ones I've read in this forum. Maybe I'm lucky. The handling is tight. Sometimes I have to control my urge to take those curvy off ramps at 55mph. The a/c, heat, CD player, etc. run great and instanly heat or cool. Toyota makes a dependable car. I'm extremely happy with the GT. Research the dozens of comparisons between the GT and GTS before you buy. Not in forums, but by car& driver, edmunds, MSNcarpoint, etc. I think you'll find that the GT is your best bet for performance and money. Good luck!
  • Options
    I paid 19,400 before tax for my 2000 Celica GT with automatic trans., power windows and locks, alloy wheels, VIP sercurity system, and cold package (back viper).
  • Options
    Has anyone out done this yet??? I went to Circuit City, and they told me that Panasonic makes the factory Toyota changer. They have the changer that would connect to the car, but as of yet, they have not received the adapter that would allow the aftermarket changer to interface with the factory radio. The adapter that C.C. currently have was for the 1995-1999 Celica models. The radio adapter is made by Blitz. I am not interested in RF-modulator. I want a changer that connects directly to the car to obtain the best sound possible. Any suggestions???
  • Options
    aim9aim9 Member Posts: 9
    Please repost the "screwdriver fix" for the sunroof rattle afew messages back.

This small rattle is the only problem in 6000 miles on my 2000 GTS 6-speed. This is my 4th Celica since 1977. (Second vehicle is a '98 $-Runner that I don't think I'll part with for years.)

To those debating the auto or stick, esp. the folks who will do mostly stop and go city driving, the auto is the way to go, IMHO.Those might want to consider the GT For mixed driving, I like the 6-speed with the GTS engine,or,the 5 speed GT . FYI,I got 35 mpg on a 300 mile highway trip at an avg speed of 74.5 mph on mid-grade premium. I agree with those who recognize that the car is a compromise, and is not an M-3/5 or Indy car. It is, though, an extremely reliable, comfortable (once you're in it), fun car.

I can recommend two excellent dealerships: Southtown Toyota in Bloomington, MN (Ron MacCallister, salesman) and Mike Erdman Toyota in Merritt Island, FL (Dan McLeod, salesman). Both gentlemen are extremely fair, repect you for doing your homework at this and other sites, and are willing to participate in the "dealing" process. Both dealerships' service departments are superb in both attitude and technical proficiency.

Good driving to all,
    aim9
  • Options
    spaceman1900spaceman1900 Member Posts: 2
    And I still love it! The CD player has stopped skipping. It keeps me dry in the rain. And I've put 22,000 miles on it. It has given me the quality I presumed I'd get when I bought it.
    I wash it all the time and water never gets past the door seals. My fuel guage works perfectly.
    I drive in Dallas and the auto in the traffic is fine. If you don't like it shifting alot, take the overdrive off in traffic (or use the sport-shift!). I've gotten used to the sport-shift and like it more now then when I bought the car. The stereo in the GT-S ROCKS!!!
  • Options
    kwrohrerkwrohrer Member Posts: 11
    spaceman1900, if you're keeping your CDs cleaner or preferring CDs that don't skip, you won't hear as much skipping. But once I find a spot on a CD that skips (or once there's even a tiny scratch that wouldn't bother any other CD player), it will skip at least 75% of the time when it hits that spot, if the car is going at least 20-35 MPH, no matter how smooth the road.

The CD changer never skipped for me, but that's way back in the trunk so it's a pain to change the magazine (and it cuts into the cargo space; why couldn't they have installed it behind the large removable panel on the left side of the trunk?).

My sunroof is fine, unlike some others', and the window seals are still decent. So far I've found two (different) black plastic plugs with no holes to replace them in.

Is anyone treating their seat leather with anything? Mine's starting to feel not quite so nice, and I bought my GT-S 10/99...
  • Options
    Glad to hear your impressed with the stereo Spaceman. I opted for the amplified 8-speaker upgrade when I ordered my GT. Personally, I have just gotten sick of buying new cars only to change out the stereo system for some bass. I figured at $275 invoice cost it had to be a significant improvement. One more thing. HOW BOUT' DEM COWBOYS!

As for making your leather like new again. Take at look at this brand. Everyone is raving about their products at celica.net : www.zainobros.com/
  • Options
    dbsltd2dbsltd2 Member Posts: 4
    I test drove the GT-S some time ago, and I wasn’t particularly impressed. The acceleration was reasonable up to 6000rpm, and then when this “thing” (whatever it is) kicked in it was pretty impressive. However, I noticed you couldn’t keep the “thing” open through the gears – when you red-line the car in first gear and shift to second the “thing” closes and you go back to moderate acceleration until you reach 6000rpm. (I didn’t check the spacing between 2 and 3 gear, but I assume it’s the same.) Now I would ideally prefer a progressive acceleration without a drastic change halfway though the rpm range. But more importantly, after you’ve reached the high acceleration range there is no way to keep the revs within this range when going through the gears. That I didn’t like at all. I would actually rather forgo this higher (but very narrow) acceleration range altogether and go for the GT (and same some money). For the GT, it seems, you can get almost everything else that the GT-S has. Except for the 4-wheel disc brakes (and leather seats). So this is my dilemma – what is the difference between the rear disc and rear drum brakes? I’ve seen some pretty impressive stopping distance numbers for the GT-S. What about the GT with the drum brakes? And how about their reliability/durability? Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.
  • Options
    desertlilydesertlily Member Posts: 15
    I have similar concerns. I want to get the GT and wonder if the "standard equipment" brakes are good enough or if I should get anti-lock ones (what ARE anti-lock ones?? And what does ABS mean?) Info on that and the "wheel & tire" matter (what's wrong with the standard ones?) would be very much appreciated.

P.S. I can't stand the thought of saying goodbye to my 10 year-old MR2

• Options
    Oh my God.....it's Friday the 13th......!!
  • Options
    aim9aim9 Member Posts: 9
    GTS STD brakes are extremely good! All discs. ABS are great if you are comfortable in their use.
    AIM9
    2000 GT-S 6 speed, std brakes.
  • Options
    doug_x90doug_x90 Member Posts: 5
    The change in power at 6000 rpm is due to the
    engagement of a larger cam lobe which produces
    more valve lift (the "L" in VVTL-i) and lets the
    engine breathe more air. It's in the sales brochure
    if you look carefully.

The gear ratios are not set up so that you can
    keep this second cam engaged continuously. You
    can come closer if you push to the fuel cutoff
    past the redline, but you still can't do it.

The good news is that 0-60 is only one shift, so
    you can impress your friends more easily.

Sport Compact Car, October, has two good GTS reads.
  • Options
    ------------------SECOND CAM---------------------
    It IS possible to keep in the GT-S second cam (6000+ RPM's). You need to slip the clutch in between shifts to keep the revs up. Using this, I can land at 7000 RPM's shifting from 1st to 2nd, but I rarely ever go for higher than 6200 because it's hell on the clutch. It gets easier to stay above 6000 in the higher gears.

-----------------DRUM VS DISC--------------------
    Disc brakes are tougher to lock up than drum brakes, due to their construction. They can also dissipate heat faster, which is responsible for brake fade. The GT still has a very good stopping distance due to it's light weight. If you're going to drive the car hard, though, I would suggest going for the GT-S, because there is just as much braking in hard driving as there is acceleration. That's why I bought one!

----------------------ABS------------------------
    ABS enhances braking ability by pumping the brakes when the wheels lose traction. It pumps the brakes faster than any human could ever do. With ABS, the GT-S has been tested 60-0 in around 111 ft.! Magazines compare it to a Porsche because they have just about the same braking ability.

The ABS system available is also more advanced than many on the market today. Most systems brake either the front two wheels or the back two, depending on what's happening. The Celica's can also control the two wheels on the right and the two on the left individually, increasing braking and maneuverability ability.

There's only one problem with ABS: many people don't know how to use it! They're used to regular brakes that you need to pump to regain traction, so that's what they do, defeating the whole system. Others get scared when the system activates, vibrating the brake pedal, so they release it. The whole point of ABS is to keep the wheels constantly in contact with the road during braking, allowing the driver to maneuver around whatever obstacle they're trying to avoid. Just mash the pedal and let the ABS do it's job. Having ABS is definitely safer than not, you just need to know how to use it.

The other thing to know about emergency braking is that once you step on the brakes, don't concentrate on what's in you're way. If you do, you're more likely than not to hit it! You should be concentrating on finding a way around it. People have a tendency to steer the car in the direction they're looking in.
  • Options
    bcloughbclough Member Posts: 97
    I'm planning to buy a 2000 Celica GT (or maybe a 2001, if I stall so long that the older model year is no longer available). The one thing I do not like about the car is the spoiler, which I find obscures the rear view out the window. I have set my unfortunate and long-suffering car dealer to look for a spoiler-less Celica. Is this worthwhile? What useful function does the spoiler serve? I do not plan to drive it fast enough so that I need to have the back end steadied.
  • Options
    second cam......thanks!!!
  • Options
    It was you I meant to thank!
  • Options
    That spoiler relects like crazy when the sun's in front of you. I'm not going to have it on mine. It's hard enough, to get a decent view out of that much-too-low-tilted rear window! I've decided not to get a 2000 by the way, because it's got a lot of stuff wrong with it that's expected to be cleaned up for 2001.
  • Options
    I still don't know what "anti-lock" brakes are (optional extra for the GT) or what the letters ABS stand for, exactly, like in "could someone spell it out"????(...American Band Stand....?)
This discussion has been closed.