Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2000 Toyota Celica GTS

Comments

• Options
    bcloughbclough Member Posts: 97
    Desertlily, what flaws do you expect to be cleaned up in the 2001 models?
  • Options
    doug_x90doug_x90 Member Posts: 5
    Yes. Please elaborate on the "cleanup" for 2001.
    The dealer told me the 01 was unchanged.
  • Options
    00gts00gts Member Posts: 42
    -----------------------2001----------------------
    There are no changes in the 2001 Celicas. All the major changes were done in the 2000 model. New stiffer shifter springs were added in January, and a passenger side C-pillar welding problem was also cleared up earlier in 1999. Everything else is exactly the same, so if you see a 2000, you can probably get it cheaper than a 2001.

----------------------SPOILER--------------------
    The main function of a spoiler is to keep the back end from losing traction at 100+ mph. Since most people will never see speeds that high, it is not necessary. There is another advantage of having a spoiler on this car: it blocks the headlights of cars behind you at night. Not completely (you can still see the auras), but enough to reduce a lot of stress on your eyes.

------------------------ABS----------------------
    ABS stands for "Antilock Braking System." It keeps the wheels in contact with the road during hard braking by pumping the brakes extremely fast when traction is lost, allowing you to maneuver your car around the obstacle in front of you.
  • Options
    I went over to driveoff.com and priced out a Celica with everything I want (and none of the stuff I don't want). It came to a quite reasonable $17,740. Has anyone dealt with driveoff before? How did it work out?
  • Options
    desertlilydesertlily Member Posts: 15
    There was additional stuff wrong with it according to new owners talking in several different forums of which I read every single post......but I'm too much of an automotive retard to remember it except that people from Toyota said it would be corrected for the 2001 (most of it was minor stuff but one thing was fairly major).........thanks for the straight-talk information double O!
  • Options
    marktestmarktest Member Posts: 43
    Anti-Lock brakes, more specifically, use sensors on the wheels and solenoids on the master cylinder. When the wheel sensors detect a loss of traction during hard breaking, it causes the solenoids to pulse the breaks. This prevents a loss of traction.

I believe most if not all insurance data indicates that ABS has no measurable effect on the rate of accidents. Some claim this is because people panic when they feel the brakes pulsing and lift their foot off the brake pedal. I think that's bull, when I've slammed on the brakes, I don't care about a pulsing under my foot. I just don't want to hit what's in front of me. I also think some data indicates that ABS increases your stopping distance on dry roads.
  • Options
    hbarkhbark Member Posts: 26
    We also wanted a GT without the spoiler, and with ABS. We found it impossible to find one in this area (southeastern PA) equipped this way, even though the dealer did like a 5-state search, this was back in July.

We ended up ordering one from the factory, equipped the way we wanted it. Many dealers in this area did not even want to bother with that, they had all kinds of excuses, but we finally found one (in New Jersey) that did.

We ordered it 8/30, they said 8-12 weeks (Celica's are still made in Japan). I'll be happy if I get it by Thanksgiving.

But we're in no hurry, still driving a '93 Camry with 118K+ miles on it...
  • Options
    Interesting, hbark. I just had a call from my dealer, and he says he's found the one and only spoiler-less Celica GT in a six-state area. And it's red! Which means this may be meant to be. All it has is the power package -- and floor mats, which are easily rejected. This may have been Meant To Be. He says he could get it here in a week.

Brenda
  • Options
    doug_x90doug_x90 Member Posts: 5
    I read the fine print in the "full disclosure"
    section at driveoff.com: the catch is that you
    are still wide open to "fees"

After you price it out, proceed as if you're going
    to buy it--but stop before entering any REAL info
    into their site. At some point you will see a
    small link called "full disclosure" or something
    to that effect. Read it carefully.

I found auto-by-tel to be the most honest. The
    price the dealer calls you with is everything but
    sales tax, and it is usually unbeatable in your
    area.

-Doug
  • Options
    You thrill me, Doug. How very helpful! I will keep your advice in mind. I called about the Toyota rebate certificate, and found out that there are no more for my region. So any little savings will be very nice.

Brenda
  • Options
    coupe2001coupe2001 Member Posts: 100
    I delt with Oak Ridge Toyota here in Lynchburg. I went to High School with the Sales Manager. I ordered a 2K1 Celica GT for $500 over invoice with no sweat involved. The difference in his base invoice price was $12, but all the option invoice prices matched. Anyways, if your close by you could drop my name and get the same deal if you don't mind ordering. I ordered on September 22, and he told me that it would take 60-120 days.
  • Options
    I'm kind of far from Lynchburg, but you never know. Still haven't heard back from my dealer.

Brenda
  • Options
    You're the only other person I've seen write that they ordered a Celica from the factory. They told me 8 - 12 weeks, which I guess is around 56 - 84 days, which is somewhat less than what they told you?

I ordered on 8/30. How about posting on here when you get it? I'll do the same?

Thanks.
  • Options
    Today my dealer informed me that it is possible to take the spoiler off of any Celica I fancy. Is this really so? I should think there would be holes in the bodywork?

Brenda
  • Options
    roadroachroadroach Member Posts: 131
    The spoilers are afixed with 4 bolts through the rear deck lid. Taking off the spoiler leaves 4 nice neat holes. If your dealer has a nice neat way of fixing the holes, I'd love to hear it.

Personally, I think your dealer was lying to you and/or doesn't have the slightest idea how the spoiler is attached. I've got a GTS w/ the spoiler and noticed a slight rattle when shutting the rear hatch after a couple of months. The spoiler was a little loose so I popped the inner liner loose, found the 4 bolts, and tightened that sucker up.
  • Options
    Yeah, I hear ordering Toyota's from the factory are pretty rare, especially the one's made in Japan. I will definitely post when I get it including photos. I started working a deal on a Red GT that was on the lot, but it really wasn't equipped the way I wanted it. I ordered a Red one with the pwr. upgrade pkg, GTS stereo, Carbon fiber dash trim, spoiler/fog lights, ABS brakes, all weather guard pkg, cargo net, floor mats. paid $18,500.I did not want the alloy wheels cause they are the same ones they put on the camry, and also didn't want the sunroof cause I wanted the extra headroom. I especially wanted ABS brakes and the Carbon fiber dash which could not be found on this planet for a GT. In my estimates I am getting a one of kind. I just ordered the TRD exhaust on a Group Purchase at Celica.net and looking at getting 15" Team Dynamics yellow alloy wheels. The sales manager said 60-90 days initially too, but then admitted that he had never actually ordered a car from Japan for an individual so he wrote on the buyer's order 60-120 days. I'm getting exactly what I want at a great price so im very patient.
  • Options
    roadroach is right. Removing that spoiler will leave holes and the dealer isn't gonna plug them for free. Your paying 400 to 500 for the spoiler and fog lights and then your gonna pay a couple hundred to get the holes pluged and painted.
  • Options
    Thank you, roadroach and coupe2001. I had a feeling they didn't stick those spoilers on like post-it notes. I wonder if the salesman was ignorant, or just twisty as a corkscrew...

Brenda
  • Options
    I ordered a GT in Spectra Blue Mica, with all weather pkg, power upgrade, sun roof, ABS, floor mats, alloy wheels. Paying 19,100 (MSRP is 20,450) which is about $1000 over invoice, 6.3% over invoice, which is higher than I wanted. But I had no competition, I only found 1 dealer who would even bother to place the order. She said they do it from time to time, it's no big deal other than the wait.

And like you, we get exactly what we want (although certainly not at a "great" price
  • Options
    If I order, I ought to get a great price, since I will be omitting many costly options. But I would prefer to buy one right off the lot. Have to mull over how to do this, if there are no spoiler-less Celicas in a six-state radius. Go to Florida or Boston, perhaps?
  • Options
    About ordering a Celica, I have heard time spans from six weeks to four months! What have others heard, about how long it takes?

Brenda
  • Options
    roadroachroadroach Member Posts: 131
    Regarding the rarity of the ABS and carbon fiber dash:

Yes, ABS on the GT is a bit of a rarity. But the carbon fiber dash is simply an applique kit which you can either buy from the dealer, order from Toyota, or even get aftermarket (the aftermarket kit is even available is your choice of colors). Try Celica.net for the dash kit.
  • Options
    Yeah, I know about the aftermarket carbon fiber kits, but they don't look the same as Toyota's factory kit. If you order the Toyota kit after you have bought the car you can plan on paying $400. I got it for $199! Most people would turn away on $400. I know I would. I think the aftermarket kits look cheesy.

BRENDA
    If you don't mind waiting 60-120 days for your new Celi then you should definitely order one. You will save a lot by ommiting costly options like spoiler, sunroof, alloy wheels etc. Personally, I only like the car in two of it's colors Red and Carbon Blue so if you have any color preference that is gonna make your spoilerless Celi search even harder.
  • Options
    marktestmarktest Member Posts: 43
    I'm looking for information on 0-60 time for GT & GTS both trannys. I have a GTS/auto and 0-60 is 10.8 sec. I have a hard time believing that there was much point in the GTS engine, could the GT be any worse? I'm trying to figure out if this is normal or is something wrong with my car.

I got that time in manual-matic mode olding the revs to 8000. It repeated twice from a dead stop.
  • Options
    00gts00gts Member Posts: 42
    Whoa! That time's way off! Here are the times most people agree upon (except Honda and Acura owners :)

GT-S manual: 6.6
    GT-S E-shift: 7.5
    GT manual: 7.5
    GT auto: 8-8.5

Nobody has really timed a GT auto, but this is around what it should be. The GT-S manual is the fastest, while the GT auto is the slowest. The GT-S E-shift and GT manual are almost dead even. In a race, it would all depend on reaction time and shifting skills.

Oh yeah, you can take the GT-S's engine up to 8300 RPM (rev limiter) to keep the revs high into the next gear, though I don't know how far the E-shift will let you go.
  • Options
    sundevil57sundevil57 Member Posts: 2
    I got a 2000 GT-S sixspeed with sunroof, leather, abs, spoiler, foglights, 16-in wheels, mats, and the dimming/compass mirror. I really love this car. I had a 95Mustang GT, and I like this one better.
  • Options
    jodikjodik Member Posts: 1
    Can anyone give me an idea of a good lease price for a loaded GTS. I have dealt with several dealers, and I don't have anything nice to say about them. I am very frustrated and do not want to find out later that I paid too much $$$. PLEASE HELP ASAP!!!! THANKS.
  • Options
    I'm slowly getting ready to order a GT.....could anyone tell me what happens if I do NOT get the power package (window & door locks)? Do I get roll-up windows? Does Toyota even install those still?.......also: are the rear-window wipers (and cleaner-dispenser) standard equipment or do I have to get the all-weather package just to get those?.....also: on some info the all-weather package includes a more powerful starter-motor but on some other info it does not? Thanks for helping me out here! Many thanks also, for the previous time someone did!!
  • Options
    How will you go about your ordering, desertlily? I'm considering the same thing. I assume you'll have to negotiate the deal and give your dealer a deposit.

Brenda
  • Options
    The other iron I have in the fire is the possibility of having a car configured the way I want shipped in from some other dealer. Am I correct in thinking that my own dealer either gets no money, or much less, for handling this for me? They're dragging their feet on the job terribly.

Brenda
  • Options
    I'm rather tall, desertlily, so airbags have never been a problem for me. It is sufficiently a hassle to get the new car I want, that I am tempted to buy a used Audi that a friend of mine is selling. Just to save the trouble, you know?

Brenda
  • Options
    Yes, toyota still makes "you crankem" windows. If you don't order the power package not only will you have to crank your own windows,but ya won't get cruise control or power door locks. Power locks is esential if you plan to add a aftermarket security system which comes with keyless entry. You also have to order the all weather guard package to get the rear wiper,the heavy duty rear window defogger and heavy duty starter, battery etc. this package is for areas up north which have frequent nasty weather. I think a rear wiper is essential with a hatchback though.

BRENDA
    When a dealer gets a car from another dealership from you they are making a profit. Your dealers profit margin is the difference between the invoice price and what you agree to pay. The dealership from which they get the car gets the holdback money which is 2% of the invoice. This amounts to about $400 for a Celica GT. The 2K1 celica dealer trades may be different though cause I noticed that for 2K1 Toyota has stopped dealer holdback money according to Edmunds price report. I don't think my dealer even knew that when I ordered back in Sept. cause he had no 2K1's on the lot. The dealer will definitely know this if you try to negotiate a 2K1 dealer trade. I sold cars for a year so I perfectly understand yall's situation. Salespeople don't like to order vehicles or dealer trade. They want to sell what's on the lot. quick sale!! Before you buy that Audi Brenda you should check out it's reliability. Repair prices on those high output engines are comparable to Mercedes and BMW. My advice is to order what you want. You can't go wrong.
  • Options
    I will indeed check carefully, coupe2001. I really do want a Celica, but it's getting to where I'm wondering if it's more trouble than it's worth.

Brenda
  • Options
    Thank you, for the info!! I want "you crankem" windows, because my present power-ones just stopped working and a) I felt imprisoned and b) it cost me $250. to replace that one tiny little relay board. Who needs cruise control? I don't think my MR2 has it. I don't even know what it's for?
  • Options
    Cruise control is very nice for long highway trips, but how many of those would you do in a sports car? I have power windows in my minivan, which is very nice. You can power the rear windows up and down from the driver's seat. If they were crank windows I'd have to climb into the back to reach the controls, the car is so large. (It's a 4-door Honda Odyssey.) But in a small car with only 2 windows, to reach across is not so difficult.

Brenda
  • Options
    aim9aim9 Member Posts: 9
    Brenda, the Celica is, in fact, a great highway car for anyone who wants to use it for the purpose. The cruise control is a helpful option, which also, I believe, contributed to my most recent best mileage, 37 mpg for a 4-hour trip at avg. of 76 mph. Previous best was 35 mpg for 3 hours at 79 mph. The heavy duty battery is a good idea for any locale, not just cold ones. Only premature battery failure I had was in DC w/a 1987 Celica in the heat of the summer of '88! Older technology, to be sure.

It is a pleasure to read this forum and the reports of generally satisfied drivers-our complaints w/this car seem few, and our questions focused on improvements in an already good machines. Compare w/the "Focus" forum!
    Great driving to all,
    aim9
    2000 Silver GTS 6-Spd
  • Options
    What is frustrating is that I can't seem to get hold of a Celica formatted the way I would like. Ordering is a depressing prospect.

Brenda
  • Options
    Don't despair. I think I've decided to buy over the Internet. Am still doing research regarding that.
  • Options
    Maybe my MR2 DID have cruise-control under the name of "overdrive"? In which case I love it because it clearly protects the engine. You're right about batteries.....they die fast in desert-heat temperatures, that's why I'm getting the heavier one - always had to do that with my MR2 as well.
  • Options
    Let us know which internet car service you go with, desertlily. What I wonder is, if I call on somebody like carsdirect.com, can they access cars that my dealer cannot? In other words could they find a spoiler-less Celica in Minnesota or something?

Brenda
  • Options
    carsdirect.com doesn't operate in VA. You can use the site for research, but you can't buy. I initially tried to deal with Autobytel.com. They sent my info. to Shelor Toyota in Roanoke which is pretty large. Shelor was terible though. They just sent me a e-mail saying they had no red Celica's in inventory. I tried autoland and driveoff also. Autoland found me a red Celica, but it was gonna cost $1000 over invoice, and wasn't equiped exactly the way I wanted it so the price was even higher. I suggest you try Priceline.com. You get to name your price for the car, and if they don't match it, your not obiligated to buy. Priceline may have a greater area to search from.
  • Options
    Hi! I tried longotoyota which is supposed to be the largest Toyota dealer in the world. They've got an internet team (choose your person from a picture). In the very first Email the guy said ALL Gt's come with a spoiler (lie), I could only get one in blue (lie), and he would deliver to my front door as requested, but for cash only. Boy, he sure made me feel uncomfortable! On to the next one....... are we becoming a nation of criminals???
  • Options
    You know what just occurred to me? That the 2001's haven't arrived yet and those guys are trying to dump their 2000's on us before no one will want them anymore...
  • Options
    Brenda,
    Go see Ron MacCallister at Southtown Toyota in Bloomington, MN on the 494 and Penn Ave. They are a great dealership and he is a genuinely fair person. He sold me my 1998 4-Runner and would have sold me my 2000 Celica, but I had to move to FL practically overnight.

I really agree that the spoiler seems expensive, but I really do like what it does to the lines of the car, and it is especially helpful at night in reducing the glare from others' headlights.

Having driven the GT and owning the GT-S, if cost is a factor, get the GT with a 5-speed and whatever other goodies you want. The difference between the 2000s and the 2001s is essentially zero, so you might realize further savings that way.

Good luck,
    aim9 (George)
  • Options
    Brenda,
    Go see Ron MacCallister at Southtown Toyota in Bloomington, MN on the 494 and Penn Ave. They are a great dealership and he is a genuinely fair person. He sold me my 1998 4-Runner and would have sold me my 2000 Celica, but I had to move to FL practically overnight.

I really agree that the spoiler seems expensive, but I really do like what it does to the lines of the car, and it is especially helpful at night in reducing the glare from others' headlights.

Having driven the GT and owning the GT-S, if cost is a factor, get the GT with a 5-speed and whatever other goodies you want. The difference between the 2000s and the 2001s is essentially zero, so you might realize further savings that way.

Good luck,
    aim9 (George)
  • Options
    Email me their phone number, would you, George? I don't live anywhere near Minnesota, but I have to go out there on business in the new year, and could easily envision buying a car and driving it back.

And how annoying, if carsdirect doesn't operate in Virginia. I wonder if I could accept delivery in Philadelphia? I'm going to be there on business too. Must discuss it with them. In fact, if anyone knows of a reliable and honest Toyota dealer in the Philadelphia area, email me -- it might be worth talking to them.

Brenda
  • Options
    I live in the Phila area, and it was practically impossible to order a Celica. After contacting many dealers (and there are many around here), I finally ordered one on 8/30 from Cherry Hill Toyota in Cherry Hill, NJ, only about 15 minutes from Phila. Very pleasant to deal with, we'll see how it works out, she said 8-12 weeks.

I also wanted no spoiler, also want ABS, which was impossible to find.

Regarding someone's comment about the spoiler blocking the glare of headlights -- while that is probably true, think about it also blocks your vision of what is behind you, which is not so good.

And don't try and tell me that spoilers help the car aerodynamically [sic?], not at the speeds that normal people drive, i.e., less than 100 mph.
  • Options
    hbark, I am told that if you order a Toyota made in Japan that you have to put down a $1K nonrefundable deposit. Also, this deposit doesn't lock in your price -- if Toyota raises the prices within the 8-12 weeks then you're stuck. Is this so?

Brenda
  • Options
    I only put down $500 deposit on my 2k1 Celica, and my dealer didn't mention raising prices. The Buyers orders list the agreed upon price. I believe this is a binding contract which you could hold the dealer too.
  • Options
    Brenda

I did all my "dealing" over the phone and via email. When it came time for the deposit, all she asked for was $500 on my credit card. Then she faxed over the agreement, signed by the dealership, with the agreed upon price (+ tax, tags).

They never even put the credit card charge into the system, i.e., it has never shown up on my charge yet. I called and ask, they said they won't do that, even though they ask for the #.

So far, so good... but it seems so long! I know, I know, patience is a virtue....
This discussion has been closed.