Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Quest/Mercury Villager problems

Comments

• VshunVshun Member Posts: 21
    We used to have left driver-side vibrating mirror shaking on high speeds (lets say above 60mph) or uneven roads, which made it under the circumstances unusable.
    Right mirror was OK.
    While my dealer refused to fix a couple of other things I perceived as potentially problematic and he considered normal, they agreed that vibrating mirror was a problem on my van and changed it. It seem to be OK now as far as I can see, however I cannot be 100% positive - did not have long highway trips to check it.
    So my advice if your dealer refuses to admit the problem - print my message from this board and take it to the dealer, if they still refuse to fix it - go to another dealer. This is definitely annoyance as well as safety hazard.
  • VshunVshun Member Posts: 21
    I believe my van has the same type of noise you describe. I believe I had it before on some of my other cars, so it is probably normal.
  • bma51bma51 Member Posts: 1
    After viewing the many, many questions and concerns, good and bad, about the 2000 Quest, I am really torn. We have always owned Nissan vehicles. I am really surprised about the relationship with Ford. Someone give a few good reasons to go ahead with my plans to buy this van.

Also, what is a reasonable price and how do you feel about financing thru the dealership.

Well, I guess you can all tell, it has been a long time since I purchased a new car but the Edmunds site is wonderful. Thanks.
  • ross17ross17 Member Posts: 3
    new quest SE owner . . .also have a 94 villager which is why i bought a new one 100 miles on the villager with no big problems. like to hear about the "hard ride" (or is it only me) . . .but see nothing but stuff about vibrating mirrors (small potatoes). think maybe i should have got a dodge. does anybody have any real problems?
  • pocahontaspocahontas Member Posts: 802
    Have you checked the air pressure in your tires? When I first bought my SE, I had to let 7 lbs of air out of each tire, because the dealer service had put in to much air in them. The ride softened a little after I did this.

People should be aware that the psi written on the sidewall of tires is often different than the manufacturer recommended maximum psi. The manufacturer takes into account the weight of the vehicle and etc..

Anyway, if you don't tell the techs specifically how much air pressure to put in (quest is maximum 35psi), when you get your tires rotated and checked..., they might put too much air.

Too much pressure can cause a hard ride, not to mention it will cause premature wear. I always double check the air pressure with my own digital gage after I've had anything done with my tires.
    Hope this is helpful. ;-)

Pocahontas,
    Town Hall Roving Host.
  • dhoffdhoff Member Posts: 282
    Well, you certainly have seemed to list all of the problems with the Quest. At least there aren't problems with the power sliding doors. :-)

I did check out my cabin air filter a week ago or so, when I had to re-treat our a/c system for a moldy smell. The filter didn't look like I expected. I thought it would be a white paper filter medium, like an engine air filter. It's actually made of some kind of cloth (or maybe synthetic) fiber that's a dark grey color. Makes it hard to tell if it's really dirty or not.

I examined mine pretty closely. Aside from a few bugs and pine needles, it seemed to be relatively clean. (this is after 33,000 miles). I vacuumed it out and put it back in.

I did notice it was stamped with a Ford logo. I bet if you took it in to a Ford dealer you could get a replacement there. Because of the odd shape, it looks to me like it was designed for some other vehicle and adapted to fit in the Quest.

Dave
    Thanks SR for the "soon to be your problem list" . . .ready to take the "rolling nightmare" back to the dealer. How come I had so few problems with my '94 villager?? I'll try letting a little air out of the tires. I thought that the se suspension would be a good thing but the back end literly leaps when it hits a bump much worse than the "regular" suspension on my old villager. Waassssuppp! with that?? Maybe it is the curse of the solid axel. Gotta say I love the titanium gauges . . .No kidding.
    i was so bummed out by all the stone chips i picked up over the years on my '94 village/quest that in an obvious moment of insanity i purchased a bra for my b-e-a-u-t-i-f-u-l new quest $$. does anyone (male or female) have any experience with bras and do i really have to take it off and dry it and the car to prevent the paint from "clouding" every time it rains.
  • ricksickricksick Member Posts: 5
    I read in the local newspaper (Cleveland -- near where the Quest/Villager is made) a few weeks back that Nissan/Ford will no longer make the quest. Any other info on this out there? I have a '93 and am looking to replace it. It is a pretty nice car, but I hate buying something that may not be supported into the future. Any thoughts or real-world experiences out there?

Thanks in advance
    Rick
  • jkrolakjkrolak Member Posts: 38
    Ford has opted out of their 2002 commitment to produce the Nissan Quest and Mercury Villager. Since Nissan has been bought out by Renault of France, I am sure that the Quest will not die but be resurrected in another form...
  • timberguytimberguy Member Posts: 7
    I bought a '94 Quest new in Nov. '93, and now have 110K on in. I can give some insight into how these vans do over the long haul. It has been very reliable, with one major exception -- the transmission blew at 50K! Luckily, it was still under the 60K-mile power train warranty; otherwise, i'd have been out $2,000. Except for a broken strut when it was delivered, all the other work has been pure maintenance.. brakes, exhaust, battery..
    It is extremely versatile. We routinely haul up to 7 people in it, sometimes with a retriever in the back. The seat pops out easily for cargo duty. Cargo space is somewhat small, but it's easily configured.
    As far as performance goes, it's slightly underpowered most of the time and seriously underpowered with the air on and a full load. On a recent trip to the midwest from the east, i really had to step on it to go 55 mph up those hills on the Pa Turnpike. Also, it doesn't have a very grippy feel on the road, which is kind of scary on those mountain curves.
    The upshot is that i think it still has alot of life left in it, but when i do sell it, i will seriously consider another one. There are so many rebates on nissans, and i hear the dealers will give a big discount on this van because it never really caught on big and Nissan intends to phase it out anyway.
  • sam121sam121 Member Posts: 10
    Does anyone know if the Quest engine is ford or Nissan?
    The Quest engine is Nissans. The powertrain is made in Japan, and the parts are assembled at the Ford plant.

Btw, It's the same engine used in the 99 Pathfinder and Infinity Qx4. Hope this answers your question.

Pocahontas,
    Town Hall Roving Host
  • carpultunnel1carpultunnel1 Member Posts: 2
    I had the exhaust stud problem (covered by emission warranty). Just recently my speedo is intermittently not working. No effect in the tranny or engine. Finally replaced the brakes and rotors and I do city driving! Never had exhaust work done. The stainless steel exhaust is just starting to look brown on the inside of tailpipe... Unlike a Chrysler which looks rusty and carboned in the 1st year.
    Runs smoother, quieter & outhandles the 2000 Windstar & Honda Odyssey I test drove. I didn't expect the same power.
    Would I buy another? For sure. The only complaints are some of the little electrical problems (corrected). Go figure, they were Ford parts.
    These cars never rust !!!
  • imasimas Member Posts: 1
    I am or should say was the owner of a 1995 Nissan Quest. I recently took it into the dealership because I was having a problem with my transmission, conclusion at a mere 60,000 miles the car needs a new trani. I contacted Nissan and after jerking me around for over a week, while I was paying for a rental car, they offered me 10% off approximately what I had already spent paying for my rental car. The total repair bill including the fuel pump that had also gone bad was over $2,600 Dls. In essence Nissan does not stand behind its product, nor are they willing to go the extra mile when a repeat customer, this being my third Nissan, has a major problem like this with their vehicle. So be warned current and future owners of Nissan vehicles, make sure you buy the extended warranty because if you think your car would at least last up to 60,000 miles without a major repair job like I did you will be sorry. Then of course there is another option, which is the one I have opted to take, and this is never again buying any product from Nissan. So thanks for nothing Nissan!
  • mbenjamin1mbenjamin1 Member Posts: 1
    I was just told by the dealer that my rear A/C blower problem on my 95 Quest will require replacing the switch panel on the dash. Total cost = $470.00, $360 for parts, $110 for labor. Does anyone share this experience or know of way to repair the switch?
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,439
    check the posts in the various topics. there have been a number about a rear AC problem requiring a wire on the panel to be resoldered. I would research before spending the monwy on a new part, since dealers often would rather replace than fix.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• mikemannmikemann Member Posts: 8
    I have a 95 quest GXE and bought it at 45,000. Have had no problems in past 1-1/2 yrs except that a notice a hesitation when I first step on the gas. I have to keep pressing down to get smooth acceleration. I changed the gas filter,plugs, cap, and rotor when I first got the car and had the injectors cleaned a few months later. It seemed to help a bit but is seems that it is slowly getting worse( at 59,000 miles now).

Could it be the timing, or wires? Anyone else have a hesitation problem?

Any advise would be helpful
  • carpultunnel1carpultunnel1 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 94 Quest. This is same motor etc. The manual says you should be running 91 octane. With the price of gas this may seem unreasonable.
    I put an injector cleaner in a full tank about once a month. (about every 4 fillups). I also use Ethanol fuel (manufacture approved). If you can get it in your area, its rated at 89.5% octane and cost the same as regular gas. If you can't get Ethanol, I would put a higher octane in every other fill-up. Especially if you drive under a load or at higher RPM's.
  • agt_cooperagt_cooper Member Posts: 202
    Has the throttle body been cleaned? Deposits can end up there that will cause an engine to run rough and/or hesitate.
  • md_techmd_tech Member Posts: 84
    It could be your throttle plate is all gummed up with deposits.... Has the vehicle set any codes in the computer. I have changed quite a few mass-air-flow sensors because of hesitation.. Although, they usually set a code,just because it sets a code dosen't mean the check engine light will come on.. Have you told your dealer of this problem????

Kristina/co host Our Turn
  • johnwngjohnwng Member Posts: 24
    I'm looking for a driver side mirror for the '99 Nissan Quest. The mirror was stolen, but the rest of the assembly is all fine. I checked with my Nissan dealer, and they say they only have the whole assembly (costs about $150), and it comes unpainted, so I have to have it painted at a body shop (another $80-100). Would very much appreciate it if anyone knows a place/store that I can order one? Thanks. JW
    Have you tried calling any Auto Parts Stores???? I hate it when you have to buy the whole assembly for just one piece...

Roving Host
  • concept11concept11 Member Posts: 6
    Yes. I have a GXE '95 Quest, bought it new. Here are the wrong things about it: Rear A/C died, transmission linkage broke, back w/wiper no longer works, antenna motor out and no longer retracts, uneven tire wear and tear (we do very regular dealer maintence), all rear brake lights went out (bulbs), front brakes 2x, wiper fluid no longer comes out, silent engine recall on '95 Quest and Villagers, cassette eats tapes, battery died at 25k miles, and expensive regular maintence services. All this before 52,000 miles and we don't drive it hard at all.
    Did you buy a extended warranty on the vehicle???? It seems like your 95 Quest is draining your pockets.... Have you had all of these repairs done already???? I'm surprised the studs haven't broken on your exhast manifold yet, this is another common problem with this model year...

Roving host
  • concept11concept11 Member Posts: 6
    Oh great, now I have the exhaust manifold to look forward to? To answer your question: I never bought an extended waranty due to a pretty good Consumer Report at the time. Then I read a tiny (and I mean tiny) newspaper article talking about the 95 Quest/Villager engine defect in thousands of these vans with certain serial numbers. I am certain Nissan would not have notified each Quest owner unless you called them on it. Only then they said they would extend waranty on the engine block only.
    Hi md tech,
    The kicker is that Consumer Reports probably never heard of the defect and still gave that 1995 engine pretty good marks. But then again, I think Consumer Reports only surveys their own subcribers (correct me if I'm wrong).

Nevertheless, it is the little things that you can live without and never really need them fixed. It is a shame.
    My first car was a used 87 Dodge Daytona... I think everything need to be replaced on that vehicle.... An I forgot the high pressure power steering hose tend to leak on these vehicles... Just an FYI...

Roving Host
  • mikemannmikemann Member Posts: 8
    How do you check for an engine code on a 95 quest

Also is the throttle body something you can clean out yourself or is this a dealer item? Anyone know a site that would give the procedure?
    The check engine light, can be diagnosed using a Nissan Consult computer that hooks up to the connector in your fuse panel. I'm not sure if aftermarket scanners can retrieve your code...
    *Usually on the Quest, the hose on the bottom of the EGR Vave deteriorates it's called the Back Pressure Valve (BVT)

You can clean your own throttle body

1. Locate the throttle assembly
    2. Loosen the 10mm bolt from the clamp around the hose connecting to the throttle body
    3. Pull back the throttle body lever use throttle cleaner from local parts store
    4. I like to use a Reach toothbrush to clean the carbon of the throttle plate and housing
    5. Be careful not to spay chemicals on other hoses because it may cause deterioration...
    6. Replace the hose and tighten the 10mm bolt
    7. Start the Van don't worry about a little hesitation it will clear itself up..
    Anymore Questions visit Women Automtive Conference

Roving Host
  • slice2slice2 Member Posts: 1
    Hi! I'm new to this site. I have been reading and have found a lot of problems that have been posted are among those wrong with my lovely 1 month old van. We have returned it to the dealer the list included: A/C shuts off while driving only re starts when van re stars, Stains around window seal, mirror shaking, seat shaking and tires or in-linement not rite , making noise when turning corner and now when started (LOUD). From all those complaints I gave up my car for three days to be returned with no gas and no explanations. They basically said I was nuts. To top it all off no gas left when it was returned to me. With this information I have received reading the posts on this board I will be calling dealer again tomorrow. Wondering if there is a time frame the lemon law is good to or a milliage limit?
    Thanks for the tip on using a toothbrush to help clean out the throttle body. I've had to clean mine (on a 99 Quest) three times now in 36,000 miles.

Next time I'll get out an old toothbrush and give it a shot. Hopefully I will be able to go longer between cleanings using with your method.

BTW, do you have any clue as to why I have had to clean it so much? Could it be I am keeping the oil level too high? I have been using a bit less than the manual recommends when I change it, but it still reads just a bit high on the dipstick.

Dave
    (BPT) Back Pressure Transducer
    That's a lot of cleaning... Well you have to take
    in account what the car breathes in....Have you
    changed your air filter recently. Are you cleaning it because the accelerator pedal is sticking????? What kind of solvent are you using to clean the throttle plates???

Kristina/co host Our Turn Roving Host
    I assume you are in one of the states that is using junk fuel to combat air pollution. In addition, every time there is a gas "shortage" our gasiline goes to heck. either they are not refining it correctly or they are scrounging the bottom of all the huge gasoline storage tanks, where all the crud and 50 cent 3year old gas resides. I would definately change my gas station, immediately, before the lousy gas causes more trouble down the road.
    I have been cleaning it because the gas pedal sticks at idle. It's very annoying in traffic, to say the least. I have been using Gumout Air Intake & Throttle Body Cleaner, in a a spray can. It seems to do a good job cleaning. Is there a better product out there?

I did change my air cleaner at 30,000 miles. It was very dirty and seemed to have a lot of oily gunk on it. I just checked it last week (at about 36,000 miles now) and it has a small (about 1 1/2" diameter) oily spot in the middle, but is otherwise clean enough.

Jkrolak, I have been thinking of changing brands too. The problem is there is a local chain that has two stations within 2 miles of our house, and there are no other stations conveniently located. It might be worth the effort to change.

Dave
  • waynerpwaynerp Member Posts: 35
    I'm considering a 2000 Quest and trying to decide between GLE and SE. I know the differences, but am concerned about vibration problems many have discussed here. Is this problem more pronounced with SE, perhaps due to stiffer suspension and lower profile tires? I have driven both, and with those two samples, the SE seemed to have a little more vibration, shaking mirrors, etc. GLE was not perfectly smooth, however. These two vehicles have been sitting on a dealer's lot and may not be representative of vehicle with some break-in miles. I questioned a service tech at the dealer - he agreed that vibration is a problem they often see on these vans - he said to pay careful attention to wheel balance and tire pressures. Any comments from owners? Thanks!
    I drive a 99 Se. My suggestion would be to test drive another SE. I don't think the difference between the Se and and gle are that significant. Also, the SE tires are very good quality (eagle ls). Good luck with your decision. ;-)

Pocahontas,
    Edmunds.com/Roving Host
    We use BG Throttle Body Cleaner at the dealer I'm not sure if they sell this stuff on the regular market.. It seems to do a pretty good job of loosening up the built up carbon deposits.... Do you adjust the throttle body when you do your service to make sure there isen't excessive slack in the cables????(something to keep in mind while your cleaning)....

Roving Host
  • brit3brit3 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2000 quest se. The sunroof stopped working. I dropped it off at the dealer this morning. I was told that the motor had to be replaced. Do you all think this is a bit soon. I brought the van in Oct. '99. Althought I did use the sunroof a lot, I don't see how this justify the motor blowing out so soon.
    The motor could have had a defect in it off the production line.. I would't worry. Now if it happens another three times within a couple of months then be concerned!!!

Kristina/co host our Turn
    Roving Host
  • jharding1jharding1 Member Posts: 2
    In response to Posting #463 and #465:
    I was experiencing this same problem with my 2000 Quest. The doors would automatically lock. I got locked out twice, once with an infant locked inside! I brought the van to Nissan. They had a service bulletin on a cycling locks problem. They replaced some switches and the problem has not reoccured in the past 6 months.
    They had a recall on certain models.. They probably replaced your door actuators and Driver's side master switch... This is one of the reasons for the recall doors locking automatically.

• srg3srg3 Member Posts: 2
    I'm copying my note from the Quest V site below concerning my 94 quest and its intermittent low speed stall. I've taken some corrective action, but if anyone has additional suggestions or a similar problem, I'd appreciate knowing.

Original Note:
    ...Greetings. Over the last two years My 94 quest
    gxe developed an intermittent stall during first
    drive of the day when coming to a stop (or when
    engine at idle, such as coasting through an
    intersection with foot on brake) The engine fights
    to stay at idle, but drops erratically and dies.
    It will start right up but may repeat for several
    stops after that. Once driven for 5-10 minutes, no problem. Originally, months passed between events, but now down to weeks, sometimes days. Visits to dealer yields the "can't duplicate". Several attempts at fixes: fuel pump replaced, knock sensor (a stored code on that one) fuel vapor return line replaced (no more gas smell and puddling under van!). My extended warranty runs out soon!!! This loss of power is distressing. Ive seen several posts on this problem on other sites and a friend just gave up and traded his in. Any thoughts (last one from dealer was maybe the idle air control
    vac, at $470)
    Thanks

...Thanks for all the suggestions!!! I did clean the Throttle body today and in the process, found a disconnected (as well as deteriorated) vacuum hose that connects to the air intake and the EGR Control Solenoid (EGRC), located below the throttle body.
    I'm not sure if thats the same vacuum line others
    have mentioned failing, since several hoses connect to the EGRC but it certainly isn't one that is readily noticable. I replaced it with a new line and will let you all know if the low speed stall occurs over the next week or two.
    (Just some background on what repairs done
    attempting to resolve this problem as well as
    several repairs: Did have coolant sensor replaced
    previously, Dealer supposedly checked daily for the stall condition over a 13 day period while van in for other repairs. During that time repaired passive belts system, both sides, replaced driver door lock switch and actuator (cured the notorious lock by themselves syndrome)replaced the A/C control head assy, replaced two motor mounts. I had the van towed twice from the road when it died for the dealer to check, but no diagnosis. The intermittent nature is the devil in this. I've had some other work done, but most all covered by an extended warranty...) I still enjoy the van's ride and have even looked at the 2000s. Just not sure if we're ready for another car payment yet. Thanks again for your insights!! (I will also post as suggested on the Quest problem forum)

thanks for hanging in for the long read.
    We have had trouble with the A/C on our 99 Quest ever since the summer of 99. The A/C (usually) wouldn't work with the air selector set to the dash vent position. If we switched it to the "foot & dash" position, the compressor would kick in and it would work fine. Only problem was, my feet would get really cold, especially in sandals.

Took it in to our original dealer, and they "could not duplicate" the problem. They told me to bring it back in when it was acting up. Since we were only 10,000 miles into the 36,000 mile warranty, I figured no problem, I'll be able to get it in.

Then the dealer loses it's Nissan franchise, and now I have to all the way to the opposite side of town for warranty service. Now it's summer no. 2 (this summer) and I'm getting sick of this problem, and the warranty is nearly gone, so i take it in. This time I write out a detailed description of the problem with instructions on how to duplicate it with the service writer.

And guess what? The tech "could not duplicate" the problem, and since it was a unseasonably cold day, I couldn't get it to happen either!

So I finally managed to make another appointment and arrange for someone to pick me up on the other side of town. Luckily it's a hot day, and the problem is happening. I drove the van into the service bay and left it running to make sure it was still happening. I had the service writer call the tech out so I could show him what was happening. I showed him that the A/C switch was on, and with the selector set to the dash position it blew warm air.

So at least this time they didn't think I was crazy. As soon as he touched the selector switch, the compressor kicked in. Turns out the switch itself was bad. They had to order a new "control panel" and it was installed today. Now it works fine.

Problem #2- Just after the warranty expired (of course) we somehow managed to leave a door ajar on the van in the garage for a couple of days. Even with the battery saver, something happened to the battery because it would no longer hold a charge. I checked it with a voltmeter and it only put out about 10.5 volts, and it went down to 8 when cranking.It would barely turn over, but since it is still almost brand new it would start.

Just got a new Die Hard Gold from Sears last night, and now it works fine.

Dave
  • bisesbises Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I've been reading this site., and decided to join today to ask: I am about to buy a 2000 GLE Quest, and saw a post sept 14 that made me really nervous! Are there alot of lemons out there? Would an SE with upgrades be smarter than GLE (less to go wrong electrically?) Any advice would be great!!! Thanks.
    The post you name (Sept 14) is not normal at all. In fact, I would not take what they say at all. Just look at the English usage, if you get my drift. Sounds like buyer remorse, if there was indead a buyer. I have a 99 GLE with no problems in 19,000 miles. The Quest/Villager twins have less problems than any other van, probably due to the fact that they have a lot of years of experience. If you want to see problem vans check out the Hoda forums.
  • cookie22cookie22 Member Posts: 73
    I have the other twin ( 99 Villager) with 21000 mi. and trouble free . Great Mini-Van. Handles great ,Too. we enjoy it to the max. Don't think you will go wrong on this one. Just put Fog lights and a power Antenna on ours.
  • waynerpwaynerp Member Posts: 35
    I'm considering adding foglights to my 2000 Quest SE. Can you describe your experience installing foglights on your Villager? Did you do this yourself? Thanks for any advice -
  • cookie22cookie22 Member Posts: 73
    I had it done at the local stero shop. He also installed my power antenna. But the wiring harness and switch ,everything needed come with the set.
  • geha1geha1 Member Posts: 1
    What's your experience with power antennae on 2000 Quests? I'm looking to have one installed (Hirschmann AUTA-2040S maybe [$40]) In my 1997 model, the factory antenna retraced when I played a tape and extended when Radio was selected. Does the high-end radio in the GLE provide connection for that functionality?

What's reasonable charge for antenna? installation?

Thanks
    Geha1
This discussion has been closed.