Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Saab 9-5 Wagon

Comments

• marciemarcie Member Posts: 6
    Well, It's finally here! Glad I waited( Even though my trade in car just blew the head gasket). I have been test driving cars since last September and NOTHING seems to beat the wagon. I happen to own a 1993 CS and the wagon far surpasses mine and all the rest, including the Audi and Volvo. I tried not to be a SNAAB... I will order the standard model, I am not sure why there is no traction control , but I have alwyas fared well in the NewYork State winters without.
    One question...what's your feeling about Cosmic Blue for a color choice? The salesman and my male friend sputtered and coughed at this...I think it might be unique...hmmmph.
  • gclugclu Member Posts: 23
    marcie

Can't say that I've seen that color on our local dealer's lot. The color (from the Saab website) looks alot like a blue Sienna minivan I say around town today -- I'll agree its unique, but IMHO, it doesn't seem like a color for a car. But hey, look at all the color options for the Audi A4's!

IMO I would get either the green-silver or cayenne red. (One's more classy the other more sporty, and they're both not too common).

BTW, who are you getting your car from and what kind of deal are you getting?

George
    marcie

Can't say that I've seen that color on our local dealer's lot. The color (from the Saab website) looks alot like a blue Sienna minivan I saw around town today -- I'll agree its unique, but IMHO, it doesn't seem like a color for a car. But hey, look at all the color options for the Audi A4's!

IMO I would get either the green-silver or cayenne red. (One's more classy the other more sporty, and they're both not too common).

BTW, who are you getting your car from and what kind of deal are you getting?

George
    Hi George,

The reason you have not seen a Cosmic Blue wagon on your dealer's lot. (if you are on the east coast) is that, there aren't any! That's what one dealer told me. Hmmm...perhaps this should tip me off. There is also a midnight blue, nice, very close to black though. The cosmic is a bit lighter than a royal blue ( geesh, now I sound like Myrna Loy)

I have only been to one dealer so far and they offered me $1,500 off. Dosen't seem like a great break, but seems like the Saab dealers never budge much.I am ordering cloth seats and standard which brings it to about 31G. perhaps you could give me some pointers.

Marcie
  • goldbergergoldberger Member Posts: 58
    My second favorite in the new 9-X color pallatte, with "sand gold" being the first. Of course, the gold was discontinued almost immediately, and the last time I was in a dealership, they told me that Cosmic Blue is also discontinued :-(. That leaves "arrest me red" and "Cayenne red" as the only bright colors left (even the white has a grey tinge to it.)
    I'm assuming by the way the numbers you listed that the $575 dest charge is in $31K price.

Aside from the generic advice of shopping around (generally limited by how many Saab dealers are in your area) and negotiating from the invoice price up, you may want to try this online Saab dealer located in Lancaster, PA (near you???).

Check out http://www.buysaabonline.com

Once you fill out a request form for the specific vehicle you're interested in, they will display their standard quote -- which is roughly 3% above invoice cost. I haven't tried to negotiate with them yet. However, they have been prompt about responding to my inquiries.

Also, although the quote you got doesn't sound great in general terms, you have to consider what you are trying to purchase. This is not a Honda Accord or Chevy Cavalier y'know ?!?! -- so I would'nt expect invoice price or cash incentives.

What also makes your purchase somewhat more difficult is your desire for a manual trans and cloth interior. These two features are less attractive in this "near luxury" car segment. Not to say that its impossible, but a wagon with these items is unlikely to be sitting on many dealers lot. Therefore, dealers are probably less likely to bargain with you.

Oh BTW, one more thing, if you have the interest, time, and extra $$$ for a European Vacation, consider Saab's IDS program. That way you can get a customized wagon right off the assembly line and a nice trip too!!
  • spence530spence530 Member Posts: 2
    I am very interested in the 9-5 wagon and have driven the 6 cylinder. The test drive sold me on the car immediately, not only because of its superb handling and utility, but also because of the plethora of good idea that I find in this car. Of course, the price is daunting, so I am considering the 4 cylinder with a manual transmission. Can anybody give me information on how the two match up? Thanks.
    Thank you all for your response re: color and bargaining on the wagon.

I finally made the decision and have ordered the manual in Cosmic Blue with leather seats. I wasn't thrilled about the leather though, seems like it might be sticky in the summer and cold in the winter . In addition, I didn't want to be responsible for the demise of our wide-eyed friends. I have spoken to some owners of leather interior and they assure me they hold up well , heat quickly, and are not being killed specifically for my car ... thus, I have dubbed my new car " Cosmic Cow" catchy ?

Spence530 in response to your question, you should test drive the manual. I can't speak in technical terms, but I can tell you that I drove both the V6 and the manual. I found the manual very zippy and held the road beautifully. I feel I have more control over a car with a manual especially in the snow Personally, I don't like a car that takes off by itself and the V6 felt that way to me. The mileage is better I believe and how much more power do we really need?

marcie
    Congrats on your purchase!

Were you able to find a better deal than the $1500 off invoice you mentioned previously?
    You didn't happen to lease your car did you??? (if so, what were the terms)

George
    George,

Thank you. Well, They didn't do much better than the $1500. They knocked off a few hundred on the bike hitch and rack. I told this guy I thought they ought to throw the heated seats in too,seeing as they were always inclusive before. he laughed at me. No, I didn't lease, I do quite a bit of driving so it wouldn't have been cost effective for me. I have been searching since last October for a car and I was tired of haggling so I decided to decide...now if the teamsters are good boys I should be sporting around within 6 weeks.

Marcie
  • kengailgriffkengailgriff Member Posts: 1
    Hello

I'm new to Saabs. How do you think they compare in reliability and durability to something like a Honda or Toyota?

Ken
  • sinawalisinawali Member Posts: 2
    Hi folks. I'm new to this board and I am curious as to the rear storage capacity of the 9-5 versus the volvo wagon. Any thoughts or experiences??
  • FREDERICKFREDERICK Member Posts: 228
    I leased a 9-3 because I doubted the depreciation value of this automobile. I bought a Volvo 850 because I felt its depreciation was a known factor. I personally feel that give Saab's quality track record in the past that you are opening yourself up to a lot of risk in the market when you purchase a Saab.

The 9-5 wagon really is a nice vehicle and you should definitely consider it. The engine is something to die for especially in the V-6 form. As far as thrill to drive factor might influence your decission the Saab is the car to have, but the depreciation is steep. Buy the car because you love it not because you think its the smart buy. This is a car for the passionate and the enthusiast.
  • tom123tom123 Member Posts: 15
    My cousin in England drives a new 9-5 and I have tracked his experience carefully. He loves the car but is on a two-year lease and says emphatically he would NOT keep the 9-5 any longer... he has no confidence that it will age well. From the fussy cupholder that lives vertically in the dash to the brakes and exhaust... he doesn't want to keep the 9-5 long enough to suffer. I listened to him and bought a Volvo V70 AWD. Lease the Saab, have fun, and walk away afterwards... buy the Volvo and get comfy with it.
  • jeheymanjeheyman Member Posts: 3
    Just drove them today.

V70: Tried base model and the R version. Former was wheezy and later was too stiff for day-to-day. Both felt heavy in handling. I think that if I was going to drive a Volvo station wagon I would try to find the guy to whom I sold my 240 (5 speed) these many years ago.

9-5: Sweet machine. In normal driving almost zip difference between the 4 and 6 cyl. engines. On the highway, the 6 was a little quieter and passed a little quicker. Considering what most other companies charge to add a pair of cylinders, I'm not sure I see a reason to go with the 4. Am I missing something here?

A4: Quatro, Tiptronic - lots of fun. But... To how much pain do I want to subject the back seat passangers? The smaller size isn't a problem for us per se but it's hard to justify given the price tag.

Any other thoughts out there?
    I rode in the middle back seat of this car from Munich to Prague last January and it was a total nightmare. The 2.8 V-6 auto version of this car is completely anemic.
    The overriding consideration is transmission and interior choice. If you want a 5-speed rather than an A/T (world wide), or if you want cloth seats instead of leather (in the USA), you must choose the 4 cylinder. Bear in mind that this choice is worth $4.5K: 1000 for leather, 1000 for A/T, and 2500 for the V-6.

Performance wise, the V-6 is deceptive because the "drive-by-wire" throttle response is very linear. We have been trained by Detroit and their tendency to build in a very "quick" throttle that just a nudge should produce mucho torque. Driven that way, the V-6 seems almost lethargic. Press down harder, though, and it FLIES. the LPT 4 doesn't do that.

I haven't driven a 9-5 4-cyl A/T, so I can't comment on the idle shake. In most cars, this is the worst part of a 4-cyl a/t combo. I can say that the 9-54 V-6 is very well behaved at idle.
  • thornthorn Member Posts: 91
    Check the new Car & Driver for a full test of Euro
    wagons.

Needless to say, the two Swedes - Saab and Volvo -
    take the rear behind the superlative German wagons
    from Audi, Daimler and BMW. Volvo's Frigidaire
    styling is easily the worst, but the new Saab came in last place.
  • jculfsrjculfsr Member Posts: 2
    Saab USA has just confirmed that Saab Scania has "run into production constraints on the V6 engines" and that, as a result, Saab 9-5 V6 Wagons and Sedans will not be available "until the situation has been resolved at the factory." I just had two dealers in the Washington, D.C. area tell me that it might be 4 to 6 months before any V6 models become available in the USA. Does anyone have any more detailed information about the so-called "production constraints"?
  • seebagoseebago Member Posts: 1
    Help Me!!

A4 Quatro -- too small, thought great for city parking

A6 Quatro -- Big, ungainly, and pricey

V70xc -- I already own a refridgerator

BMW 540i -- Expensive but very nice

Subaru -- Wonderful reliability, but who ran it through the gaudy patch?

SAAB 95 -- Is this the one?

I have owned a 4x4 Subaru Legacy for 12 years and love it -- I know nothing about the reliability and quirkiness of Saab.

Suggestions?
    I have traced this rumor, and will continue to do so. All the information I've received indicates that demand is greater than predicted, and thus the supply is being rationed. That the V-6 was 6 months later to market than the 9-5 itself, and the 9-5 was already held back 6 months from its original schedule, certainly doesn't help.

I'd expect the demand for the V-6 to slacken some when the High Output Turbo becomes available, sometime in the 2000 model year. Especially if the HOT 2.3 is available with the A/T.
    Now there is a car I could get my passion going for. Would it have a sport suspension?
  • kandacekkandacek Member Posts: 5
    Since discovering Saab had a station wagon, just a few days ago, I trotted over to the only Saab dealer in my area to see what I could find out. The salesman has one wagon coming in, they have one 9-5 sedan on the showroom floor. He's supposed to call me when the wagon comes in, so I can test drive it. I asked him what the configuration is, and he said it's green with the V6 engine. It didn't know for sure when delivery would be, but not for several weeks. He confirmed that there had been some production constraints on the V6s, but that has now been resolved. I think this car might just have my name on it. :) I wanted the V6 in blue, but green is my second choice. :)
  • wcfwcf Member Posts: 21
    In regard to the rumor about a high output turbo 4 cylinder engine in the wagon, is this a serious option? What timeframe? I would love the sportiness of the Viggen (especially the suspension & sport seats) in a functional body like the 9-5 wagon.
  • jeheymanjeheyman Member Posts: 3
    Read some postings on the 9-5 Sedan that sound like dealers are willing to, well, deal. Local guys (southern california) seem to holding tight to MSRP. Local auto-by-tel was invoice + 1500. Plus destination. Is it me or does this seem high?

Would be willing to take a cross-country drive for a vacation for the right deal(er).

Any ideas?
    Has anyone heard about the price list for the new model year? I've heard Saab sometimes introduces new models at a lower price and boosts them once they're established. Since I am still in the market, I would like to avoid getting surprised.
  • rfellmanrfellman Member Posts: 109
    See SAABUSA site under online then news for info on 2000 Aero model. Assume a wagon version will be available by Spring of 2000.
    Well, I am quite frustrated to about the production constraints. I ordered the 4 cyl., standard in cosmic blue 3 weeks ago. I called periodically so they could track it. My dealer called yesterday telling me that they have stopped making the cosmic blue till 2000 so I would have to wait 4 more months till they possibly become available. What's with these guys? Is this just a dealer trick to get me to buy existing colors on their lot?
    Marcie
    Sorry to hear about your problem,

How much did you have to put down to order the car?

I don't know if you recall an earlier post where I mentioned a dealer in Lancaster, PA who sells Saabs Online (http://buysaabonline.com/index.html)
    I'm still debating on the V6, but I noticed that they now sell at invoice. They have quoted me a 1 month wait for a green silver V6 wagon. You may want to check with them about getting you a 4cyl 5-speed in the cosmic blue. The online rep is Jay Barry.

Good Luck

George
    George,

Thank you I will try these guys. I E-mailed autobytel ( from Edmunds) and don't you know the dirty dogs contacted the dealer I was using. Embarrassing.
    I asked to put money down to secure the car and they said it wasn't required. I thought that very odd.

Marcie
    I had the opportunity to drive the US spec Saab here in Germany. Unfortunately, the US spec version seems to have a much softer suspension which I didn't enjoy. Until a sport suspension (which would be the standard german spec version) is available, I will pass. In all other regards, I was very impressed with the car. By the way, the german versions come with Michelon Pilot tires while we get the Michelon MXV4--no fair.
    As Rfellman pointed out, Saab has "announced" (a teaser on the web site, nothing more) the 9-5 "Aero" sedan (and, presumably, wagon) which will be shown at the Frankfurt(?) show ON MY BIRTHDAY! (does that mean I get one as a present?) They have indicated that the car will have "upgraded brakes, sports suspension, 17 inch wheels, and special seats." In other words, about half the Viggen treatment - the main bits and pieces, but without the "extra mile" of tuning by TWR (I'm guessing here), and the "off-site assembly". The Aero WILL be available with an A/T, but the engine's torque will be held back to the level of the V-6 (330 NM vs. 350 for the 5-speed).
    AFIK, the tire choice is the difference in the suspension between the European and American Spec cars. It really CAN make that big a difference!
  • kingameyakingameya Member Posts: 4
    Anyone have a good lease deal on a 9-5 wagon or sedan? How does the Harmon and Kardon sound system sound? What do you guys think about the Michilen MXV4 tires? I plan to change them to the excellent Michilen Pilot series. Anyone put different tires on their Saab? If the AERO comes in Wagon form, then there is a god!!!
  • jculfsrjculfsr Member Posts: 2
    I recently queried SaabUSA about the possible availability of an Aero version of the 9-5 wagon in the next model year. The response: They will be releasing a 9-5 Aero sedan this fall, but no decision has been made about the wagon. They suggested that I check back in September when they would have brochures and specifications to mail.
    I also had asked about the wagon and received a somewhat ambiguous answer which gives me hope that they might spring for it. I also sent a question asking if they would at least offer a sport suspension for the wagon and have not received a reply. If you rapidly move the steering wheel back and forth at about 30 mph (simulating going through pylons), you will understand the need for a sport suspension. If I had my way, anyone selecting the manual transmission would probably want a sport suspension as well; they should just tie the two together.
    That should be a fun car. It actually has some personality, which is becoming rather rare now in cars. That is something about Saabs that I have picked up; the people who buy them really seem to enjoy them.
  • goohousegoohouse Member Posts: 10
    Just took delivery of a frost grey 9-5 wagon with leather, heated seats and an automatic transmission. Very pleased. Got the car for invoice (actually a little less), and the price was agreed to prior to any discussion about my trade in. They also threw in a child seat (which I didn't want) free (although they did make one attempt to sell it to me at invoice). Took advantage of a current financing incentive program (3.9% APR for 48 months) and SAAB's loyalty program $1,000. I know it's the end of the model year, but I doubt the incentives will be around in the fall, and besides, I needed it now.
    Did you get the 2.3 or 3.0L engine -- I assume the former since you specifically mentioned the auto tranny (the 3.0L only comes with the auto).
    Also, what dealer didi you use??
    Thanks,
    George
  • goohousegoohouse Member Posts: 10
    I got the 2.3l engine. My understanding is that the V6 is essentially unavailable at present, particularly in the wagon. (Apparently this is a production problem, see earlier posts.) The dealer was SAAB of Framingham (Massachusetts), which is part of Charles River SAAB. Salesman was Randy Wheeler. I would recommend this dealership and salesman to anyone.
  • kandacekkandacek Member Posts: 5
    I've been pestering my local dealer for a test drive. When I went a few weeks ago they had *one* 9-5 sedan on their showroom floor. They had a v-6 wagon on order and were going to let me know when it came in so I could drive it, but it was sold before it even arrived. Wahh. Currently they have no 9-5s period, but plan to order a couple of wagons soon, but they will be the 4-cyl. Since the closest I've ever been to a Saab was at the dealer a few weeks ago, I want to test drive one before I make any firm committment to buy.They sound good, now if I can just manage to find one to check out. :-( I really want a new car by the end of the summer, and had hoped not to get a 2000, but the later it gets the less likely that is. Bummer.
  • bustabusta Member Posts: 1
    Hello I have been shooping for a volvo for 5 years ever since 850 came out... now its so far that they're releasing the V40 and in 2 years a V80!!??? But I want to get a wagon by the end of summer. Now I heard of this new Saab 9-5 which is giving more mileage than V70 also more taller than the XC version with a very nice price... I also have my eyes on the V40 but I cant make up my mind between Saab or V40??? Can some one help!!!
  • garvgarv Member Posts: 1
    busta, Saab 9-5 vs the V40, no brainer. The Saab will blow it away. Bigger, Faster, Better looking, and Probably at a similar price. The Saab 9-5 in my opinion beats the V70. If your considering the V40, you should be considering the VW Passat or the Subaru Legagy wagons. I have done extensive research and test drives and will be ordering a Saab 9-5 over the Volvo V70XC and the Audi A6. If you need any info, please let me know.
    I have to agree with garv, no comparison when it comes to a Saab 9-5 vs. a V40 -- although I can't say that I've driven a V40 yet. The V40 is priced and sized to compete with the likes of the 2000 Legacy, Passat, and A4 Avant 1.8T. Expect MSRP to be around $25-28 K. There will be no AWD version (just FWD) so its unlikely to match the performance of the A4 -- I anticipate it will compete more with those looking at the Passat -- ie more refined, less performance oriented.
    If you need the cargo capability of the 850/V70 then the 9-5 is the right competitor. The V40 is classified as a sub-compact wagon and has a smaller cargo space compared to big brother V70.

Hope the info helps

George
    see topic #218 , response #5 for the prices on the V40
  • spencer1spencer1 Member Posts: 2
    Anyone know of Canadian (Montreal, Toronto) dealers willing to sell 95 wagon off the net? does this make sense with the favorable exchange rates, or did the Canadian dollar fall against the Krona too?
  • gozartgozart Member Posts: 9
    The wife & I just bought the 9-5 Wagon in Midnight Blue with the dark leather. WOW! For anyone considering this nifty car, allow me to share our experience:

We were first turned on to the wagon by Warren Brown, (the superb) car reviewer for The Washington Post. You can read his review on www.cars.com. The Wagon review will be the more recent of the two 9-5 reviews he has listed (March 99?). As DC residents, if Warren Brown likes it, we like it.

We also read every other review we could find -- perhaps 15 in all, being sure to note all the positives and negatives and to check each out on our two test drives. IMHO, the negatives, such as the mirrors being too small, were minor things that any driver would probably forget about or subconciously correct for after a couple days of getting accustomed to the car.

The long and the short of is that SAAB engineers put of lot of good ideas into this car (Why can't the American auto-makers do this?). That SAAB chose to make a lot of "good things" standard in this vehicle means that they're serious about meeting people's needs. (Although there could be more storage space and cup holders for the rear passengers, but that's a minor point for me.) I also thought the $695 sliding shelf was too much to pay for the 12 or so inches it extends.

We shopped against other wagons: Legacy Outback, V70, Passat and the Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo.
    The Jeep was probably our second choice, but the heartburn associated with the SUV bandwagon was a bit much for me. Pursestrings note: 9-5 Wagon with leather and automatic compares to a fully loaded Grand Cherokee. Don't buy the myth that some of the SUVs carry more cargo: There really is no difference on the gross cargo capacity (@ 73 cu. feet for each!)

The bottom line was that the 9-5 wagon offered for us the unique combination of style, utility, elan, and pricing for what we sought: An anti-SUV that can serve as the family car.

I heartily echo the other posters on this message board who noted specific advantages in the design and execution of the car. No need to repeat them here. New users are advised to skim the entire message history in this list.

I'm not one to wear blinders...and it was all I could do not to remain objective once we got the inkling that this would be our car. But I think we made the rational and correct choice and I'm proud to own this pleasantly quirky set of wheels.

I'll post more as we drive it about.
  • cermakcermak Member Posts: 2
    Ready to get a new wagon and considering both the Passat and 9-5. Does anyone have experience trying to fit a 6'-6" tall driver in these cars? Dimensions don't mean much as far as actual driver position, comfort and legroom. Also - does anyone know if a 4' wide sheet of plywood could fit in the cargo opening, without tilting?

When I drove the 9-3 a few months ago, it seemed to have much less visibility than the Passat. Is this a Saab characteristic? Could I learn to accept it?
  • ckamm1ckamm1 Member Posts: 2
    I've been to buysaabonline.com and it seems like they're legit - email back to my queries sounds like it's easy to get invoice price here (only drawback is that I'd have to go from Ann Arbor, MI to Eastern PA to pick up the car, or pay a delivery fee). I'd rather buy local, but my local dealer seems to balking at matching the invoice price. I'd appreciate hearing from others on their price negotiation experiences with Saab dealers.
  • allynvallynv Member Posts: 2
    I just test drove a 9-5 Wagon and I'm really impressed. I'm comparing it to an A6 and a Volvo XC. I drove the A6... it is really slow. I haven't driven the XC.. but, the styling is pretty boring. I like just about everything in the 9-5, but the sound system. Does it just take some getting used to? The speakers in the front are mounted on the dash. Seemed like all sound was from the front. Can any of you 9-5 Wagon owners comment on this? Also, I'd love to hear your thoughts on the whether to go with the Auto 4clndr, Manual 4clndr or Auto 6 clndr.

Thanks!