Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

VW Passat Wagons (GL, GLS, GLX & W8)

Comments

• Options
    vwguildvwguild Member Posts: 1,620
    We have both, and the only difference that I
    can determine is that one has a trunk and one has tailgate...
  • Options
    cupholder1cupholder1 Member Posts: 231
    one is very very very utilitarian. I am glad to see that wagons are making a comeback. Four door hatchbacks are also nice.
  • Options
    izabelajohnizabelajohn Member Posts: 38
    Anyone know if VW extended their 3.9% 24 month financing that was available for Passat Wagon past November 1? Any other current incentives available?
  • Options
    due continue through November 30th...No other
    incentives available on 2002s...3.9-5.7
  • Options
    jed1894jed1894 Member Posts: 337
    Sorry if I'm in the wrong topic, but have any of you guys heard that if the VW oil filter is not used for oil changes the warranty will be void?

If this is true, where does it say it (if anyone knows).

thanks.... John
  • Options
    marylizusmarylizus Member Posts: 24
    Thanks for the cargo info! Now, does anyone have any experience in buying a passat in the ohio/w. pennsylvania area? We're looking at the basic 4 cyl 5 speed manual. Not going to add a thing. Thanks!
  • Options
    john1313john1313 Member Posts: 16
    I'm in the market for a 2002 Passat GLS Tiptronic and already have the package I want decided on (luxury, leather, and Monsoon). I prefer the light silver w/black leather or the silver-blue with black leather. Anyhow, I just came from the local dealership and I was told that the GLS is limited in availability. They don't even know what they have coming in. Is this right?

Also, I have read through out this board of "vwguild". What/who is this? From different posts, it sounded like a dealer/locator? Am I correct? Please enlighten me. Thanks.

John
  • Options
    I think he has the ability to arrange custom orders for all over the country. If all your local dealer did was say it is hard to get a GLS and did not offer any further assistance... I'd definitely be shopping elsewhere.
  • Options
    revkarevka Member Posts: 1,750
    Hi john1313- Well I can answer one of your questions: VWguild is one of our active participants who has been very generous in sharing his knowledge/information about VW's. Good luck with your purchase.

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks / Station Wagons / Women's Auto Center Boards
  • Options
    As stated in our Town Hall membership agreement, soliciting is not allowed in any of our Town Hall discussions. Please note, that messages of this nature will be deleted. We appreciate your participation in this matter. ;-)

Revka
    Host
  • Options
    evilizardevilizard Member Posts: 195
    I'm pretty sure by law they cannot require you to use their oil filter as long as you use a comparable product. A little digging will find out who makes the oil filter for them (Fram, Pulator etc) and the comparable model number. You may save a buck or two, not sure what the markup is on oil filters.
  • Options
    jmaterojmatero Member Posts: 253
    As the owner of a Passat, I'd like to suggest that anyone considering the Wagon, check out the Saturn LW200/LW300 models. They are thousands less than the Passat, the 2002's are put together EXTREMELY well...equal of the passat and they come with all of the same standard safety features. Even the L300 (with the awesome V6) is less expensive than the lowest price passat wagon. Also, Saturn service can't be beat and I can only speak for myself, but check out VWVORTEX.COM forums and you'll learn about how bad the service at VW is, at least in the NY/CT/NJ area. I loved my passat until the noises started creeping into the picture and now feel like I'm driving a K-car it rattles so much. Went to check out the LW-series at Saturn today and was AMAZED at how improved these cars are over the 2000 and 2001 models in terms of build quality. And the interiors are QUIET compared to my passat without a single squeak, rattle, buzz or other odd noise. You also get free loaners, which VW could care less about providing. Just some advice... give them a try.... oh, and there is 0.0% financing on them until 11/18/01... that's free money folks... along with better fuel milage and MUCH lower insurance costs. Sure, they aren't as "sexy" inside as the passat can be, but it's still comfortable in there, quiet and the 6-cyl power is SMMMOOOOOOOOOTH. Also, since it's based on the German Opel Vectra (like the saab 9-5 and Catera) the ride is pure German (particularly the tighter LW300.)
  • Options
    I've read this in some other posts. Is this true? Thanks!
  • Options
    VW's website says to use premium gas for "optimal performance", or something like that. They didn't actually say that premium is REQUIRED.
  • Options
    "Even the L300 (with the
    awesome V6) is less expensive than the lowest price passat wagon."

You may want to check your math. the L30 V6 stickers at $22,850. There is no negotiation, so that is how much you will pay. The Passat Wagon stickers at $23,100, but Edmunds TMV states that it will sell for $21,822.
  • Options
    georgek44georgek44 Member Posts: 81
    The Saturn L wagons are no different than other Saturns - overpriced, mediocre cars that sell mainly to people whose distaste for, or fear of dealing with car salesmen is more important to them than value-for-money. The 2002 L Saturns are an improvement over earlier ones, but still are cheap and nasty. They are rough, noisy and drive like like what they are - Opels. For at least the last 30+ years Opels have been the poor relations of (West) German cars, with well-deserved reputations for poor design, too many corners cut and shoddy build quality.

Saturn's one contribution to automotive evolution is the use of dent-proof body panels in mass-produced vehicles.

On the other hand, "de gustibus non est disputandum".
  • Options
    For those interested in discussing the Saturn L-Series vs the VW Passat, please join us in this new discussion: Saturn L-Series vs VW Passat (Wagons). Also, feel free to copy/paste your recent messages there. ;-)

Revka
    Host
  • Options
    jace1jace1 Member Posts: 23
    I am interested in a 1.8T 5 speed with the cold weather package only. I am in Maine and would love the seat heaters. Has anyone tried to eqip. a car similarly? My concern is that the cold pack. will be mostly found on cars w/ leather.

This will be Passat #2, sharing the driveway with a 99 sedan.

Thanks for the input.

Jace
  • Options
    What kind of gas do you all use? Premium or regular? I'm wary of this turbo engine thing. Thanks!
  • Options
    jmaterojmatero Member Posts: 253
    The Passat 1.8T (4-cyl) with AT can be fetched for $22935 according to edmunds. You did help make my point though: The price of a Saturn LW300 at $22800 also comes with Alloys, AT and V6 engine and you are comparing this pricing to a stripped 5-speed manual Passat. If you want a manual the LW200 with 5-speed is only 20,400. I'll move this discussion to the other forum now, but as for Saturns being only for those who hate "buying cars".... that's not true. We have TWO 2000 pasats in our family and by 5000miles they have both become rattle boxes. I've driven the 4 and 6 Saturn LW models and BOTH are quieter, smoother riding and come well equipped... but the issue here with me is VW service which is the worst in the industry. Saturn treats you with respect, offers the free loaners, yadda-yadda. Again, we have 2 Passats (both with AT and 1.8T). Great cars at first, but once you drive away, beware.
  • Options
    however, since this subject was created for discussion of the VW Passat, let's please continue the subject of the L-Series vs the Passat in this new discussion Saturn L-Series vs VW Passat (Wagons).

Btw, I realize that going off-topic is natural in the course of any discussion, and an occasional off topic comment is certainly okay; but so we don't disrupt the discussion any further, we ask that our members continue their off topic subject in a more appropriate area. For further clarification on this matter, please refer to our Town Hall membership agreement. Thanks for your participation.

Revka
    Host
  • Options
    sniper5sniper5 Member Posts: 9
    My glx drives the same with mid-grade or the good stuff, but I don't "race it" ! My friend just took delivery of a 1.8 fabric seats with cold weather package. No other options other than home link. He told me that he cant tell the diff between the premium and mid grade either. But when I do get the chance to race him, My v-6 will have the 93 octane. check out vwvortex.com. They get into the tech stuff a little deeper.
  • Options
    mauislickmauislick Member Posts: 107
    I use premium in the 1.8t and don't think further about it......
    comparing a used car (matero and his passats) with a brand new car (the saturn) isn't fair.. get a few thousand on the saturn and then report back.....
  • Options
    I too use premium gas in a 1.8T w/auto. Here in south central PA 93 octane usually is 6-10 cents more than regular 89 octane and that is little enough to pay for the added smoothness and performance. Today I filled-up with 93 octane at BJ's @$1.149 a gallon. Even when it reached a high point of $1.599 earlier this year it still was a minuscule expense compared to buying, maintaining and insuring the car. If $1.00 a fill-up is significant to you I think you would be better off buying a less expensive car.

Thus far I am very happy with my 2000 Passat wagon. After 44,000 miles in just over 15 months the car is rattle-free and feels as tight as when it was new.

Recently a short wire connecting an air bag sensor failed causing the air bag warning light and chime to appear, but this was only AFTER the car was rear-ended on I-81. The other insurance company paid for all repairs.

Aside from that only two minor problems arose, all within the first few thousand miles and all fixed in one day by the dealer. This is better reliability and build quality than I have experienced with other cars bought new, including a BMW 318i, two Camrys and a Land Cruiser. The most recent issue of Consumer Reports' annual buying guide rates the 2000 1.8T Passat in the highest reliability category, along with Camrys and Accords.

The two things that might dissuade me from buying another Passat are the high cost of parts and the dishonesty and lies I encountered from the sales manager and, perhaps, the salesman as well. On the other hand, the service manager and staff are as good as those at the local Toyota dealer (both excellent), and the Toyota sales department is worse.

In the end, the best course is to seek out independent statistical evidence from sources such as CR or the insurance industry's crash testing institute, then buy what pleases you and hope that you don't get a lemon. Opinions here and elsewhere are just that, and are not a sufficient basis for deciding on a major purchase.

BTW, my comments above about Saturns and Opels are based on experience with long and short term rentals, and a couple of office cars. All were awful.
  • Options
    Wow... in Los Angeles, premium was going for around $2.30 - $2.40 per gallon just earlier this year.
  • Options
    jellzzjellzz Member Posts: 7
    I'm looking to get rid of my 1998 A4 sedan and get a wagon. I've been quoted around $25,000 for a loaded 2001.5 GLS Wagon and $28,500 for a well-equipped (Triptronic, sunroof, cold weather) 2001 A4 Avant 1.8T. My current A4 has Quattro, which I love and which the Avant has. Is the extra $3,500 worth it for the Quattro, the Audi warranty and the Audi name?
  • Options
    prostfanprostfan Member Posts: 6
    jellz,

If it had been my choice (wife's car) we would have purchased the A4. That is not to say that I don't like the Passat, I do very much. For 2002 VW upped the warranty so if that is a concern (you did say 2001.5, right) you may want to go with the Audi. The main reason my wife liked the Passat better was that it was a tad bigger. The back seat of the A4 was just way to small. Either way I think you will be happy.
  • Options
    in hawaii I'm paying 2.13 per gal for 92 at a wholesale place at a regular gas station premium is 2.29- 2.35
    I bought the car as an upgrade from a beat-up 1989 toyota corolla s/w so I was anticipating to pay more for everything.....next time I hope to up grade to a bmw 5 series wagon or an MB E320 wagon in which I would expect to Pay more....if I ws going to stay level it would have been a ford focus or something like it......so it's all relative to what your buying and why.....I'm a firm believer on NOT LIVING BEYOND YOUR MEANS, I get the best that I CAN AFFORD......I could've gotten a bimmer or a mb on credit but would've killed me to maintain them.......by the way i've got a 2002 passat wagon with just under 5k mi. and it's been really great, i like it more and more each time i drive it.....ALoha From Maui
  • Options
    I'm a few days aways from buying a '02 Passat Wagon. I have the color decided on and the options picked. The only thing that leaves me undecided is the chose of power plant. I would like to ask you current owners how you came to decide on which power plant you chose and if you had a chance to buy another one, would pick what you have now. I know that out of the box, the V6 has an advantage having 190hp while the 1.8T has 170hp (debateable if it really is or is 180hp). Anyway, the 1.8T can easily be "chipped" to produce power over 200hp so this is definitely an option as well. Hrmmmmmm, decisions, decisions, decisions... Your thoughts/comments will be appreciated. Thanks.
  • Options
    Big question is will you be getting auto or manual. If you're getting manual stick shift then there is no question... get the 1.8T. If you're getting the automatic, you may be happier with the V6.
  • Options
    I got the 1.8t for gas milage and tiptronic auto- old/lazy and do a lot of stop and go and don't carry heavy loads much.....the v-6 would've killed me in around town MPG (most of what i do ) driving..... If i lived where there was actually a freeway I would try out the 6 then decide...
  • Options
    The primary driver will be my wife who will do a mixture of both city and highway driving. The transmission of choice is the Tiptronic. I too am after the better gas mileage but the turbo lag is a bit of a concern. That is why I wonder if the aftermarket "chipping" will improve this.
  • Options
    teoteo Member Posts: 2,508
    "The most recent issue of Consumer Reports' annual buying guide rates the 2000 1.8T Passat in the highest reliability category, along with Camrys and Accords."

This is not true. I also susbribe to CR and the predicted relibility of the 2001 and 2002 Passat has been rated at "AVERAGE" at best (Blank circle). Both Accord and Camry have a full red circle for predicted reliability which is rated as "MUCH HIGHER THAN AVERAGE"...big difference there.

My 2001 Impala LS has better predicted relibility than the new Passat, according to CR..."Better than average" which is denote by a Half full red circle.

The Passat might be great but price, long term reliability and dealer network service and support are KIA grade, not Euro near luxury standard.
  • Options
    bluetranebluetrane Member Posts: 67
    I am looking at a Passat wagon as a replacement for my current SUV. I really want the 4Motion. No wagons with 4Motion were available at the dealership to look at, however the salesman indicated the the rear seats do not fold forward in the 4Motion wagon. Is this true - it would be a deal breaker for me if i is unfortunately.
  • Options
    Rear Seats do indeed fold down...60/40...Your
    incompetent Sales Person was referring to the Sedan...Those seats do no fold down, but have a
    pass thru for skis, etc.
  • Options
    Since when do rear seats not fold down for the Passat? Mine do.
  • Options
    You are loking at the April car issue. The "buying guide" is the book-size annual summary issue mailed to subscribers in November.

The one I received a week or so ago gives the 2000 1.8T Passat the same highest rating as for the Camry and Accord - a check mark in outline, not solid color. The V-6 receives the next lower rating. Ratings vary by year as well, but show continual improvement from 1998-2000.
  • Options
    bluetranebluetrane Member Posts: 67
    OK, the sales guy must have been breathing too many exhaust fumes. i couldn't imagine a wagon with non-folding seats, but he seemed pretty adamant.
  • Options
    This is 4MOTION that we are talking about!!!
  • Options
    Seems pretty nutty, but then again, the new Lincoln Blackwood is a $50,000 pickup truck, and doesn't even have a functional cargo bay/bed in the back.
  • Options
    mikenkmikenk Member Posts: 281
    To me the importance of the CR rating is in the back years which indicate long term reliability. Toyota, Honda, and Subaru have consistent above average reliability through all years. You would expect most modern cars to have excellent reliability for the first 1 or 2 years of ownership; the quality difference will show up over the years. My concern with the Passat is that there is insufficient data for the back years to indicate long term reliability, but in general VW cars have a tendency to worsen in reliabilty as the car ages. The existing Passat data indicates this same trend; my guess is that in four years the 2001 Passat will be average or below average in reliability.

In my opinion, too many people look at improving ratings in the CR data over the years as proof of increasing quality; in reality, all it indicates is potential long term reliability issues. The perfect example was my 1994 850 Volvo wagon; in 1995, CR listed it as above average in reliability; by the time I sold it last year, its ratings had deteriorated significantly as well as my personal car maintenance budget.

The CR ratings are statistically correct, but make sure you interpret them properly.

Mike
  • Options
    You OK??? I said that the Wagon/Variant seats do
    fold, but not the Sedan...
  • Options
    but what I meant is that the idea that wagon seats WOULDN'T fold down could not automatically be discounted these days... I mean, if I told you I have a 50,000 pickup truck for sale and you can even use the cargo bed... you know what I mean...
  • Options
    yobobbybyobobbyb Member Posts: 1
    Do your homework and after you are done, buy a Japanese car. My 1998 Passat wagon is starting to act like my 1974 Fiat. And that's not good. $1400 today to fix the ventilation system on a car with less than 48K miles. This on top of two odometer changes, a cracked windshield, headliner problems, non funtioning dash lighting, door seal problems, worn out rotors at 28,000 ( my Maxima has its originals at 89K), and a radio that won't accept the code any longer. And to think that I almost bought that Suburu. And my wife wants an Audi...Think Nissan babe. This car has been in the shop infinitely more times than has my Maxima or my Altima. Fool me once.......
  • Options
    hiflyerhiflyer Member Posts: 79
    It has been my experience that some Service Depts. fix things that are truly not broken for the sheer profit of it. Unfortunately, this leaves the impression that the car is not reliable.

Once I was told that my power steering hose needed to be replaced -AGAIN! First time was under warranty so I didn't mind, but since the second would be on my tab I decided to wait. I put a little fluid in and it hasn't been down since. That was about a year ago.
  • Options
    Let's get this straight... you modify the car from factory specifications in a big way, but then complain when the modified car doesn't work?
  • Options
    dehgenogdehgenog Member Posts: 2
    Why would anyone wantto disable the running lights. What moron does that. They provide the european look and increase the style factor
  • Options
    //
  • Options
    I think someone got to my username and changed post #601 to make it seem like I made the post. I referenced this page to someone and they brought this to my attention. Can you please look into this? I would hate to be accused of saying something I didn't. FYI - I'm a few days of owning one so I can't even say this.
  • Options
    Revka - Post has been deleted and no I did not read the directions. I simply cut and paste the URL. I will be more careful next time. Thank you.