Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

VW Passat Wagons (GL, GLS, GLX & W8)

Comments

• Options
    casecom2casecom2 Member Posts: 72
    Unless I'm missing something it looks like at $27,000 you're basically paying sticker price:

GLS 1.8T auto = $24,760
    Monsoon = $325
    Leather = $1,500
    Destination charge = $575
    Total MSRP = $27,160

Seems to me you can do better, although these things vary a bit by region. The 03s haven't been out long, but people are getting them for less than sticker. You know sunroof and alloys are standard on the '03 GLS, right?

If you want leather and Monsoon, I'd drop 29 and change on a GLX (sticker: $30,625 plus dest. charge) before I'd pay $27K on a GLS. Leather and Monsoon are standard on the GLX.
  • Options
    lumbarlumbar Member Posts: 421
    Congratulations to Subaru of America on VW's decision to drop the GLS 4Motion for '03. Why sell more cars when you can sell fewer?
  • Options
    vwguildvwguild Member Posts: 1,620
    I simply cannot imagine buying this car...a W8
    Variant/Wagon with the (PJ9) Sport Package thru a *Buying Service*, But...We started ordering our own German built products...
    Passat Sedans/Variants or Wagons/Jetta Variants/Wagons last month...And because Production of W8s with the Sport Package began Week #35/July 29th we were able to order a very
    limited number, and I do mean limited...

I would try your local Dealer for this W8, and plan on November/December Delivery. Production of
    the 6 Speed Manual begins Nov. 4th/Week #45...
  • Options
    hiflyerhiflyer Member Posts: 79
    vwguild,

Given that the Touareg will be offering one within the next year, what's the likelihood that a six speed tiptronic will find its way into the W8 Passat sometime in the '03 MY? It would certainly help distinguish it more from other Passat models.
  • Options
    This is a real possibility...
  • Options
    caw103caw103 Member Posts: 63
    thanks for the info on the touareg before, but my wife couldn't wait until next year. She's happy with her new 03 wagon though. good luck selling the touareg. then again i doubt you'll have much difficulty with that model.
  • Options
    gman69gman69 Member Posts: 5
    Anyone have any info on this feature or where I can get info?
  • Options
    allhorizonallhorizon Member Posts: 483
    G Man,

Take a look at this:

http://www.edmunds.com/ownership/safety/articles/45992/article.html

or at this for an interesting historical view point:

http://www.iht.com/IHT/JS/98/js030798.html

My personal experience:

Two years ago I rented a Golf Diesel with ABS and ESP in Germany for a couple of weeks. On wet cobblestone at 35 mph, someone decided to turn from the right in front of me into my lane at an intersection. Since he was going much more slowly, I needed to break as hard as I could. At the same time I tried to get to the left of him (but by no more than a few feet - else I would have had a frontal collision with oncoming traffic). The ABS/ESP did both beautifully. I was amazed how it managed to steer the car on a track that had an almost 45 degrees angle with respect to my initial approach, while keeping it pointed perfectly straight forward (=yaw control). To make things worse, he had become frightened and had stopped, too. I ended up "parallel parked" right next to him, with no room to spare. ESP worked as (I later learnt it is) advertised.

• Options
    gman69gman69 Member Posts: 5
    Is there any "tinkering" that can be done to 1.8T engine to increase HP, besides replacing the chip which I understand voids your warranty. I heard there is some things that can be done but not really sure what it is. And, thanks AllHorizon for the info on ESP.
  • Options
    wdwwardwdwward Member Posts: 9
    Just took delivery on '03 Passat wagon last night. Availabily in Puget Sound area is tight. The wagon is a GLS 1.8T turbo with automatic, leather, Monsoon Sound, Homelink. MSRP was $27,290. Paid $700 below MSRP. Not a great deal, but the car was on the lot (I could touch & see it) and I did not want to go through the hassle of ordering & waiting.
  • Options
    Congratulations!!! And, Welcome to the Volkswagen Family...Enjoy your Variant...
  • Options
    cone9cone9 Member Posts: 4
    My NY dealership didn't offer it. suggested other shops that did it. Anyone have a darker tint on wagon. Price??
  • Options
    alddrdalddrd Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone had any experience carrying bikes in their Passat wagon? We're thinking of buying one, but would prefer not to have a rack mount.
  • Options
    jb18tjb18t Member Posts: 25
    Purchased a 2003 Passat GLS 1.8t Wagon on 9/9/02. Reflex Silver, Leather Package, Tiptronic, Monsoon, and HomeLink. MSRP $27290. Paid $25755 plus tax and title. Live in Wilkes-Barre, but bought in Philly. Dealer had 12 wagons to choose from and had at least 50 Jetta models. Very light on Golfs. Have been enjoying my new vehicle, especially sunroof and the handling of this machine. Well my last vehicle was a 99 Ford Explorer XLT so it feels like a sports car.
  • Options
    I am considering a Yakima Low Rider crossbar set and Yakima Ankle Biter bike attachments for my Passat Wagon. Potentially will install a trailer hitch and add a bike rack for the back also. We have 4 bikes for family members when we travel and will use our Yakima Rocket Box to haul gear on top.
  • Options
    revkarevka Member Posts: 1,750
    and congrats on your new 2003 Passat GLS wagon! Thanks for sharing the details. We look forward to hearing more about your ownership experience. Happy motoring!

Revka

Host

Hatchbacks & Wagons Boards

• Options
    alfoxalfox Member Posts: 708
    Does the Low Rider crossbar fit on the roof rail? I wasn't sure from Yakima's website if it was designed for the rail, or to grip the roof-edge groove.
  • Options
    bgkanne1bgkanne1 Member Posts: 18
    Are new 5 speed manual transmission Passat wagons, either 4 cylinder turbo or V6, considered rare or hard to find?
  • Options
    feilofeilo Member Posts: 128
    Yep. 5-SP on Passat wagons are rare and they get sold as they come off the transport. And ESP too. That's why I ordered my 1.8T 5-SP GLS wagon (white ext/grey cloth int) with ESP a couple of weeks ago.
  • Options
    I know where a new 5 speed manual, 1.8t 2003 Passat GLS wagon is available...
  • Options
    feilofeilo Member Posts: 128
    bgkanne1 - Thanks, but I am happy to wait it out. I don't need the car until end November when my fleet lease comes up. In any case, I am particular about the color combo. The VW dealer I am working with found 5 white manual 1.8T GLS wagons but they all had black cloth interiors - I wanted grey. Thanks again.
  • Options
    The wagon I found has beige cloth and is what I consider properly equipped with Monsoon, moonroof, alloys and homelink. Frankly, I think no manufacturer should be selling wagons with black interiors (cloth or leather) and dealers are making a big mistake ordering them that way, unless a customer specifically wants black.
  • Options
    I agree about the black interior. I think most people take them on a compromise. I don't think any VW should be ordered without the Cold Weather Package, either, north of maybe Kentucky. But most VW's on the lot up here in the Northeast don't have it.
  • Options
    altair4altair4 Member Posts: 1,469
    Your comment intrigued me as I am in the market and, well, frankly, was strongly leaning towards reflex silver with back leather.

Why would I not want this? The beige looks impossible to keep clean, and doesn't look like a good combo to my mental eye (do they even offer that combo?). Grey's an option, but I worry it will look too monochromatic.

Maybe a little background would help...have wife who cares not about taking care of the interior of cars; have 16 month old child in car seat still facing backwards (when will she ever cross that 20 pound limit?!?!).

Other than that, bring on all the options! I'm ready to be coddled.
  • Options
    dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    I also like the black.
  • Options
    ladypilotladypilot Member Posts: 20
    are beautiful, but they show every conceivable speck of dust. You have to do alot of maintenance to keep the black leather clean. My hubby has the reflex silver/black leather combo and it looks really sharp... as long as the kids haven't been in the car. I think the grey would be easiest to maintain. But, buy what you like!
  • Options
    frapzoidfrapzoid Member Posts: 127
    I have a 2002 Passat wagon with Reflex Silver and black leather. I didn't like the gray or beige interior. The black is easy to keep clean in my opinion. I prefer the color anyway.

As far as getting a five speed... I got lucky. Five speeds were hard to get in particular when mated with the V6. I dealt with a VW dealer who emailed me and had a car that came just the way I would have ordered it. V6,5 speed, Reflex silver, black leather, Monsoon and Homelink. The day I bought the car another VW dealer said that such a car didn't even exist in Northern California. He called right back to say he was wrong and was willing to deal...Bought from the dealer who had it on the lot besides, they were the ones I was dealing with via the internet
  • Options
    The Yakima Low Rider, according to my sport shop dealer is designed for the roof rail. It grips and has an option for locks to the rail. They call it a low rider because it is not very tall(distance between roof rail and crossbar). I am waiting to buy a set so my experience is not firsthand. I have to wait for one to come into stock.
    I like the black interior looks also, seems to show dirt and dust pretty quickly but easy to clean up with a moist cloth.
  • Options
    striebicstriebic Member Posts: 2
    We ended up taking a delivery last night of a 2003 VW Passat Variant GLS Auto with ESP ... paid about $26000 for it plus tag/taxes. We got Indigo Blue with Grey Velour. The black we were told from several friends and saw first hand attracted lint like crazy! Anyhow, took exactly 3 months to order and actually pick the car up .. good luck to everyone.
  • Options
    I was hoping that is the answer. I'd rather have the lower mount for my crossbars. Please let me know how the fit when youo get them.
  • Options
    goblue99goblue99 Member Posts: 4
    I factory ordered ESP, and ESP was listed on my Window Sticker, and I picked up my car at Farrish VW on 9/13/02.

However, now that I've read the manual, I've found out that I should have an "ESP" button on the dash where the "ASR" button used to be. However - my button still reads "ASR".

Have any of the rest of you bought a car with ESP, but received a car with the "ASR" button?
  • Options
    8u6hfd8u6hfd Member Posts: 1,391
    beige is a nice color, but maintenance with the velour....rather go leather.
  • Options
    Received my recall notice on the vacuum actuator line about 3 weeks ago. Less than a week later, the Check Engine light came on, with the message "Emissions Workshop" on the message panel. Had the recall done last week, and the check engine light was indeed a cracked actuator line. Timely recall, I'd say!

Got me wondering if maybe the car has some version of Onstar on board, and they were able to turn on the message remotely. ;^)
  • Options
    acarbonell1acarbonell1 Member Posts: 1
    Hello All,

First.....
    Purchased an '03' GLX, absolutely love the car! Being that it's primarily for the wife and kids, I pretty much get to drive it when I get sent to the market or when I'm going out to surf. Attached the cross-bars for that purpose. Wife hates the amount of wind noise (in fact she cant drive with the sunroof open or tilted. I do not want to add a faring (sp?)actually 'she' wont let me add one. Does anyone know if moving back the front cross bar (well behind the sunroof) will it diminish the wind noise?
    - Second....
    What can be done about the excessive black brake dust? I've heard of plastic covers that you can put between the wheel and the brakes, but I've also heard that it's not good for the brakes since it'll make them overheat.
    Any sugestions would be greatly appreciated.

Alex

PS My primary car is a '02' Acura TL Type S and I strongly think that the Passat out handles the Acura when it comes to cornering through the canyons. What a car!!
  • Options
    1. Only install the crossbars when you need them. That should take care of the wind noise when she's driving the car.

2. Wash the wheels.

;^)
  • Options
    cone9cone9 Member Posts: 4
    03 1.8T - Is ESP always on? When I press the ESP button, Light comes on Dash. Is it then off?
  • Options
    markjennmarkjenn Member Posts: 1,142
    Check your manual, but most implementations are set up so that ESP light on means that ESP is deactiveated. The ESP light is warning you that the safety net is NOT there.

- Mark
  • Options
    pnokelaipnokelai Member Posts: 2
    Is anybody able to describe if there is a significan difference in noise level (coming e.g. from rear tires) between wagon and sedan?
  • Options
    moondawgmoondawg Member Posts: 24
    and wondering if I should go for it.I t was in a dealers lot.It was very early morning.Rxcept for a small scratch,it looked clean.I called the dealer,and was given the specs on it.A '99 with 38K.and VW certified.I haven't driven it yet.The dealers price was $17995.....should I go for it?
  • Options
    acarbonellacarbonell Member Posts: 5
    Funny Al!
    Now do you have any useful information?

Has anyone ever tried an aftermarket brake pad that didnt leave the amount of black dust the Volkswagon ones do?

Where can I get instructions on the removal of Volkswagon cross bars (dealership put them on)It doesnt say anywhere on them who they are made by. As a last resort I'll go to the dealership that installed them but I'd rather down-load a file. If someone has a link.

Thanks!

Alex
  • Options
    Alas, no useful information. Glad you have a sense of humor... ;^)

Don't know about the crossbars at all.

As for the brake pads, I don't have alloys, so it's probably not comparable (I'm assuming you do. Since you have the sunroof you must have the Lux pack.) I am able to wash my wheel covers fairly easily with a wheel brush, and the dust comes right off. It did seem worse when I first got the car, and less so now (45k miles.) BTW, keep an eye on the rear pads. They seem to be wearing faster than the front, and will need replacement in the next 10k or so. I'm learning that is not unusual for VW's.

Enjoy the wagon - I love mine!
  • Options
    mauislickmauislick Member Posts: 107
    I just ordered another passat wagon 1.8t tip candy white grey leather monsoon esp///////

my 2002 was tail ended (no one hurt) I waited a year for it.........there are no other viable options if you want a wagon........I like it so much I am going to wait until january for my ordered car......the only thing I don't like is the rear hatch is always locked.....you have to hit the key or the switch on the drivers door to get in EVERYTIME. I wish you could swith that on and off......other than that I will love my second passat wagon.......
  • Options
    Wondering if any one knows what the space below the steering wheel in dash is for? I am using it for my VW Owners manual, seems to fit pretty well.

Re:Crossbars, another option that I know will allow you to "tune" the wind noise(hopefully reduce) is to mount an after market crossbar. Suggest the Yakima Lowrider. You can move the bars as you would like. They also are easily removable to improve gas mileage and eliminate the wind noise.

Re: Brake dust, I am getting a good amount of build-up also. Currently have 1800 miles on "Gunther" and hope the amount of dust will get lighter. Washing once a week with my kids assigned the task of doing the wheels(little fingers fit between the spokes on the alloys much easier than mine.)
  • Options
    frapzoidfrapzoid Member Posts: 127
    I don't seem to have a problem with brake dust on my 2002 wagon. I wash my car once a week and there seems to very little dust on my wheels. All I have to do is just rinse off the wheels every other week and clean them the alternating weeks. My BMW on the other hand seems to get quite a lot of dust on the alloys. My GTI alloys have to be cleaned at least once a week.
  • Options
    ladypilotladypilot Member Posts: 20
    Yeah, we figured that the manual fits perfectly in that space, too. I assumed that is what it was made for. Good thing, since the glove box is so small. :-)
  • Options
    allhorizonallhorizon Member Posts: 483
    >>Received my recall notice on the vacuum actuator line about 3 weeks ago. Less than a week later, the Check Engine light came on, with the message "Emissions Workshop" … Got me wondering if maybe the car has some version of Onstar on board, and they were able to turn on the message remotely. ;^) <<

Albert,
    I had the same exact experience.

rick wrote:
    >> the only thing I don't like is the rear hatch is always locked.....you have to hit the key or the switch on the drivers door to get in EVERYTIME. I wish you could swith that on and off....<<

Ask your dealer. It may indeed be programmable. No guarantee on this, but many similar features are programmable. I am so used to hitting that switch on the door I don't even realize I am doing it any more.

Carl,
    $17995 sounds a bit steep for a 4 year old car. What does it have (1.8t vs. V6, GLX, …?). Did you check Edmunds' or other's (e.g., Kelley's) market value?

open space under steering wheel - yes, it's for the manual.

- D
  • Options
    Why don't I have an open space under steering wheel? There is no such space on mine (2000 GLS V6 Wagon.)

Was this maybe added part of the way through the 2000 model year? Mine was built in December '99.
  • Options
    mauislickmauislick Member Posts: 107
    I think the slot for the manual and the square box space to the left of the steering wheel were added to the 2001.5 (b5.5)(facelift) in late 2001......someone may corret me on that but it seems that's when it showed up
  • Options
  • Options
    nedzelnedzel Member Posts: 787
    If you wax the wheels, you'll find it easier to get the brake dust off. I've heard of some folks going with Mintex Red Box pads. They apparently significantly reduce the brake dust, but IIRC, they take longer to warm up when cold. You might try asking that question over at vwvortex.com, there was a long discussion about it a while back.