Options

VW Passat Wagons (GL, GLS, GLX & W8)

Comments

• Options
    platypusplatypus Member Posts: 192
    Test drove a 4MO V6 Variant yesterday. Had the same impression as you. The car felt nice - excellent weighting on the steering, fairly smooth. I didn't want to overdo it since the car was new, but it did seem like it struggled to come up to speed quickly. Granted that when the engine downshifted to accelerate, it only went to 4000 rpms, but then again, there were only two of us in the car.

The W8 looks appealing, but at $39K - Ouch! Even with a $4K discount, I'm still looking at $35K.
  • Options
    kcarverkcarver Member Posts: 5
    One thing that most people don't understand about the W8 is that it is not just an 8 cyl add to the GLX. Xenon, suspension, exhaust, headlamp washers, etc. are added as well.

Still, if you are looking for a bargain, probably the V6 fwd is the way to go. I test drove one today. It was nice, and had better p/u than an awd.

However, my wife and I have pretty much decided on the W8. It was a long journey. Even looked at a M-B e-class!

Now we just have to wait on the color and decide if we want the wagon or the sedan... probably the wagon. I have yet to compare the back seat of the wagon vs the sedan. Can anyone give their experience?

Playtpus, what is this you are saying about a $4k discount?

Kirk
  • Options
    pachopacho Member Posts: 9
    2003 GLX Wagon fwd Silverstone Grey / Grey - in the garage for the first night!! I'm a tad excited. I'll probably check on it a few times tonight. Thanks to everyone for the tidbits and info...it kept me sane during my long wait.

FYI, 2003 money factors are HIGH, so I chose to purchase. Don't go looking for a good lease on 2003's quite yet. Anyone who wants details (San Diego area) can e-mail me.
  • Options
    whoughwhough Member Posts: 4
    I think I read somewhere that the Passat wagon was the only wagon where the rear seats folded down completely flat. Can someone who owns a Passat wagon confirm this?
  • Options
    tmcktmck Member Posts: 28
    Yes, they do. Car is a bit underpowered given mediocre gas milage.
  • Options
    Kirk,

Where I live, SF Bay Area, local dealers have started advertising $3500-$4000 off MSRP on 2002 Passats. Some of the ads reflect specific trim levels - "all W8s at $4000 off MSRP", and others are more general - "all remaining 2002 Passats at $3500 off. Over 40 in stock."

Seems like the dealers are making way for the '03 models. It's a great time to buy an '02 if you can find what you're looking for. These prices end up being $1000-$1500 below invoice.
  • Options
    digital_damondigital_damon Member Posts: 1
    Platypus, which dealerships in the SF Bay Area has these 3500-4000 rebates. I am looking for a GLX Wagon or maybe even a W8 if the price is right.
    Thanks
  • Options
    striebicstriebic Member Posts: 2
    FYI, ordered in the DC area a 2003 VW Passat Wagon GLS, Automatic .. with ESP for $26,058 delivered (all fees/delivery/etc). I saw the invoice sheet that was faxed to the dealership from VW in June, so with all options, it was about $100 over invoice. I know there is still some holdbacks available even on orders for VW dealers which is why I think I got it for $100 over invoice. Should be delivered in September sometime. :)
  • Options
    Bob Lewis VW is running an ad here on the Edmunds site that lists various "Internet Specials." I viewed the ad from the the Passat new car research area. The current special is $4K off on two '02 Passat wagons. Last week, the ad specified $4K off on all '02 4MO wagons.

Dirito VW in Walnut Creek ran an ad in the Chronicle this weekend, listing all '02 Passats at $3500 off. It said they had over 40 in stock.

Finally, in post #943, the pearsonrj said that Stevens Creek VW advertised $4K off on '02 4MO wagons.
  • Options
    quahtraquahtra Member Posts: 2
    I just got an offer for w8 wagon for 37100.00 this is before tax and license. I talk to the sales person and there is only 12 left in California. Could anyone tell me if this is a decent deal. I saw someone mentioned about 3-4k off msrp in SF, with around 40 wagons??? Which dealer is this?
  • Options
    vwguildvwguild Member Posts: 1,620
    CRUCIAL to READ the FINE PRINT...I am now at Bob
    Lewis Volkswagen...We have ONE(1) 4MO Variant
    for sale at that price...It is a GLS that is Beige/Beige Cloth, No Lux.Pkg.

A Very Rare and hard to find Variant...if you like
    Mojave Beige with Beige Cloth...;)
  • Options
    djnowickdjnowick Member Posts: 6
    I'm a little confused on the '03 GLS because of the introduction of the GL trimline. My question is - are the base '03 GLS Passats 1.8T or V6 engines, and if the 1.8T is standard, can you get a V6 on a GLS?

Jackie
  • Options
    is only available with the 1.8L Turbo...1.8 & V6
    are both available in GLS...
  • Options
    Do you manage the ads that get served here on Edmunds? I swore that last week the link I saw specified that all '02 4MO Variants were $4K off MSRP (I should have printed it.) When I called this past weekend, the salesperson gave me some story about how the only one they could sell me at that price was this beige one you refer to in post #960. When I went back to check the ad again, it had changed, and it read that the deal only applied to two '02 Passat wagons.

Another question for you? Does Bob Lewis have any '02 V6 5-spd wagons available?
  • Options
    mark2003mark2003 Member Posts: 1
    I've heard conflicting reports on the money factors in use currently.

I'm looking for a 2002 or 2003 Passat GLX 4 motion wagon.

I'm looking at a 42 mo. lease. One dealer said .00245. But they may have selected vehicles at a lower rate.
    Another said, all 2002 and 2003 leases are .0018 through the end of July.

Also, can anyone confirm that the 2003 GLX is the same price as the 2002.

Finally I'm interested in message 948 from Pacho indicating that some dealers are discounting Passats as much as $1500 below invoice. Any one else finding discounts like these?
  • Options
    >Another question for you? Does Bob Lewis have >any '02 V6 5-spd wagons available?

FWIW, two different dealers in the DC area told me that NO '02 5-speed wagons are available *anywhere* in the US - there are only '03's for sale.
  • Options
    Question for you - if anyone will know, you guys will... without the 2003 TMV pricing available yet, is it reasonable to make an offer a little over invoice? Say, 3% or so (I think I found that "modest" percentage somewhere on Edmunds at some point)? Or should I figure my offer price some other way?

jackie
  • Options
    taxitaxi Member Posts: 1
    Can anyone help with pricing on a 2003 passat wagon? Went to carsdirect.com, with no luck.Would like 1.8 litre 4 cyl t GLS.HHHEEELLLPPPP!Thanks, Taxi
  • Options
    pachopacho Member Posts: 9
    Sorry everybody, but mistakes happen when you post too late and half asleep. On my post #948 it should say $1500 under MSRP, NOT $1500 under invoice. (slight difference!! :) Sorry to get you excited mark2003.

Sticker on my 2003 GLX wagon is "Total Price: $31,200" (includes destination charge).

The money factor offered to me for a 48 month/15K lease was .00315, so I purchased instead. That was the best they would offer, regardless of credit. 2002 money factors were around .0018. These numbers are from July 15.
  • Options
    Town Hall protcol suggests that you contact me
    via email...just click on *vwguild*...:)
  • Options
    cmnottcmnott Member Posts: 200
    Currently looking at a number of vehicles and the Passat 1.8 Tip is on my radar screen. Also the V40 and Explorer and Santa Fe.

I have driven all and while I'm partial to cars (I have an 02 S60 T5), the Volvo V40 is very nice. Excellent trubo power, very nice auto tranny, excellent seats and decent handling. Not too crazy about the interior design even though it is nicely finished. I admit the V40/S40 Town Hall sections have given me the willies, but the VW Passat thread haven't exactly been glowing either.

The Passat felt much bigger than the Volvo, especially the luggage space, their wheel wells are not in the way of the cargo area like in the V40. Also the seats, whie not Volvo, are very good also. The car has lousy pickup off the line, but once going has a very satisfying rush. What's with this car off the line...maybe the one I drove was not PDI'd or something but hammering the car off the line, the car does nothing to signify full throttle then it comes in a wallop. I thin it is the Tip gearing, because the Volvo literally bursts out of the gates. Any feedback?

Other than that, it handled better than the Volvo and felt like a nicer bigger vehicle. Price-wise they are dead ringers. So I am looking for owners of 2002/2003 to let me know of their cars and I am not going to put too much weight on what I read on these Boards which basically reflects 50 cars instead of the hundreds of thousands of Passats out there. The performance of the Tiptronic is my only real concern.

Thanks
  • Options
    altair4altair4 Member Posts: 1,469
    We looked at the V40, but climbing into the driver's seat is like putting on a glove, the interior is so tight. To me, the roofline is very low, and interior just seems way to claustrophobic. I'm tall and not particularly heavy, but I just couldn't see "wearing" this car for very long. I'll agree with you...the 'wayback' space is much smaller feeling, too.

That lag you mention in the Passat...it's the infamous 'drive by wire' lag, plus the 'tip' lag, if you were driving a tiptronic automatic gearbox. The car takes its time figuring out if you really want full throttle or not. Both can be corrected with aftermarket chips for the ECU and the AT.
  • Options
    Call re: returned/undeliverable email...
  • Options
    cmnottcmnott Member Posts: 200
    So true...the V40 feels tight.

You pretty much described exactly what the car is doing. It is not turbo lag, but almost as if the car si saying "what...full power? Give me a sec..." than it really goes.

Don't like chipping but thanks for the info...so they are all like that?
  • Options
    allhorizonallhorizon Member Posts: 483
    Dino,

If the automatic you drove is anything like the tiptronic in my V6 Passat, the "learning" of the transmission/ECU could also be a factor. Who knows how the car was driven before you got in. Sure, the V6 does not behave like a turbo, but I think turbo lag is almost non-existent and is not a factor here. For example, a 1.8T Beetle automatic I drove for a couple of days did not have the problem you describe.

Perhaps you could take the car on an extended test drive, at least 5 - 10 minutes, and make sure you do a lot of quick starts with good throttle. See if the behavior changes.

I agree that the V40 should be compared with a Jetta, not a Passat. Also, to me it is a Mitsubishi built under Ford - it doesn't feel much like a Volvo to me.

- D.
  • Options
    8u6hfd8u6hfd Member Posts: 1,391
    Electronic Throttle COntrol programming.
  • Options
    altair4altair4 Member Posts: 1,469
    If you check out the boards @ vwvortex or clubb5, you'll find numerous posts about the lag that cmnott describes. It's the ECU determining what to do when "hammering the car off the line", as cmnott said. I don't know if this applies to your V6 tip, but it's sure does for the 1.8T with tip. There's any number of people on those boards who have described the exact same response who fixed it with aftermarket chips for the ECU and the tip transmission. I don't think it has anything to do with the adaptive learning on the tranny.

The more practical advice might be to apply the throttle in a more linear motion, rather than slamming it down suddenly with your foot.

Or revert to the other cure for the common lag: "chip it!"
  • Options
    passater1passater1 Member Posts: 4
    Strange things have happened during the 18000 mi. life.
    First, rear hatch would not lock electrically. Lock assembly replaced.
    Second, turn signals slowly failed to work. Started by flashing only five or six times, then stopping, then went to one or two flashes before stopping. Eventually stopped completely. Was told flasher was bad. None in stock at dealer and had to wait three days to get replaced.
    Third, since replacing flasher, noticed back lighting for window and lock switches on passenger side front door would illuminate after shutting off ignition and leaving doors unlocked. Locking doors caused lights to go off but would light again, shortly after unlocking doors.

This last problem just occurred and I have not yet called the dealer about it. Seems as though these lights are controlled by a processor and not the main headlight switch. Possibly the same processor also controls the flashing of the turn signals and the locking of the hatch.
    Does anyone have access to the electrical system wiring diagrams?
  • Options
    mpardimpardi Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2003 W8 wagon on order, to arrive in Atlanta during October. The 2 local dealers each tell me the Sports Package is available only w/ the 6 speed. I'm interested in knowing: What size K&N air filter (element) I should get; and, would an aftermarket exhaust system, like Magnaflow, sacrifice low-end torque for high-end horsepower and "sound"?
    Although paying cash, with no trade, I used a buying service and got the Pacific Blue w/ Beige interior for $38,850 tax, tag, title & transport included. That's the drive out price.
  • Options
    quahtraquahtra Member Posts: 2
    could anyone tell me where to look for the function of the headlight washer on the W8 wagon or even how to work it? I look all over the manual but cannot seem to find it.
    thanks
  • Options
    casecom2casecom2 Member Posts: 72
    Edmunds has posted pricing on the 2003 Passat ... I see TMV is the same as MSRP on all models ... I sure hope that's not accurate!
  • Options
    raybearraybear Member Posts: 1,795
    The TMV probably defaults to MSRP when it first is entered. They just have to adjust it.
  • Options
    mpardi posted above that he has ordered a 2003 W8 with a 6-spd. I can't find any information on the specs of the new 6-spd W8, any pricing changes, optional sport packages, etc.

Is there a price difference for the 6-spd? How much does the sports package cost? What does it include? Any other options available? What are the gas mileage and 0-60 estimates?

Can someone either answer these questions for me or tell me where to look for the information? Thanks.
  • Options
    FYI...The Sports Suspension Pkg.(PJ9) W8 was part of
    the Production Schedule a/o week # 31 for Tiptronics(July 29th). Production with the 6 speed does not commence until Nov. 4th( week#45)...I doubt your *Buying Service* will get
    access to these cars, but if they do...good for you!!!
  • Options
    regdor1999regdor1999 Member Posts: 3
    I'm interested in buying a 1.8T Passat, most likely 5-spd, and was wondering if anyone tows a utilitly or travel trailer with theirs? We have a small 6x8' trailer with 12" tires that we use to haul large size items, or to go to the municpal transfer station.

My car (we are keeping this one as the "beater") is a Saturn SW2 with the 4 cyl 1.9L engine, with a max of 124hp. It tows it just fine, and while not setting records going uphill, we use it for camping trips (we have two large dogs as well, adopted greyhounds) and hauling large items round-trip to my parent's house 600mi away.

While the V6 would be nice, I like the write-ups and opinions on the 1.8T 4, not to mention the mileage. Being a turbo-charged engine, I wanted to make sure their aren't bizarre restrictions on it, or that VW isn't a pain in the @$$ about it. I noticed that the don't offer any sort of "towing/tow prep" package, which prompted my question. I realize that I see dozens of turbo-charged diesel trucks every day towing trailers, but that system is designed for that purpose.

Thanks for your input! I can't wait to drive them. I've been lurking around the Town Hall for some time now, and decided to jump in.

For the record, we are replacing my wife's car, and considering the Toyota Highlander (yes, the tall Camry wagon), the Ford Explorer, and although my wife doesn't know it yet (snicker) the VW Passat 1.8T and the Volvo V70 base, although the latter and Explorer are at the very high end of our range. I figure I can lure her away from the SUV's if I focus on extremely comfy wagons that look cool. The nice wagons combine the best of mileage, style and image, capacity, and safety.

And yes, I do have a wagon obsession.
  • Options
    dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    I don't think you will have a problem with one of those small utility trailers especially if the Saturn did not have a problem.

Two other cars you might consider at either end of your price spectrum. The Subaru Legacy "L". This is much more sedate looking than the Outback models, but has the same engine and drivetrain. It is about $18,000 equiped nearly like a Passat GL (no traction control, but it has ABS, and the usual power goodies). The other car is the SAAB 9-5 wagon. It is about $34,000 and comes with much more than Passat (leather, dual zone climate control, headlight washers etc.) SAAB reliability is above averae now, about the same as the Passat.

My father has a Passat w/ the 1.8t and manual tranny and loves it. He has a lifetime average of over 31 mpg, and gets close to 40 on long trips on slower (approx 60 mph) back roads. He has had it up to 142 mph (momentary lapse of judgement for an old man) so it has plenty of power, and it accelerats quite quickly. He has the 150 hp motor, so the 170 should be even better. He once drove it from VA to SD with a Sofa on the roof rack (it was wicker so it wasn't too heavy, but it sure caught a lot of wind). With a speed limit of 75 and going into prevailing winds the whole way, I am sure that put much more strain on the engine than a small trailer would - and he had no problems.
  • Options
    cone9cone9 Member Posts: 4
    Just purchased 2003 Passat wagon. GLS 1.8T 5-spd.

Invoice was 21538, leather 1325. Paid $700 over invoice. indigo blue with grey leather. Don't know if it was a deal - but needed a car and that is the one I wanted. Couldn't find a dealer to take less than that.
  • Options
    Question for those of you who have driven the 1.8T with the Tiptronic transmission: Do you think this engine/tranny is a mismatch, or is it something you can "train" yourself to drive. I test-drove one and was really thrown by how slow it was off the line, then it would suddenly lurch forward. But I'd rather not go up to the V6 if I don't have to -- and I have to get an automatic. Thanks!
  • Options
    tmcktmck Member Posts: 28
    Casecom2. I drive an 02 Audi A4 all wheel drive with the 1.8 Tip and my wife has a 02 Passat wagon 4 motion with the 6 cyl Tip. The 1.8 is fine both in town and on the road. I actually prefer it as an engine to the 6 and the best part is I get about 5 mpg better on the road. Power is pretty similar although the 6 may be a little stronger, but not much.
  • Options
    numbercrunchernumbercruncher Member Posts: 13
    Am interested in the Passat GL wagon with manual transmission and ESP.
    Want the grey velour interior, and preferably (but not necessarily) the Reflex Silver exterior.

Pittsburgh dealer said I would have to order it, with delivery in January. Would appreciate any contrary information.
  • Options
    He be speakin' the truth...
  • Options
    gman69gman69 Member Posts: 5
    I have quite a bit of weight (approx. 500 lbs)that will be put in the cargo area (rear seats down as well) it will be in their for an extensive peiod of time. Will I be getting enough power from the 1.8L turbo? Or should I go for the V6? Also, any suspension problems I should be concerned about with the Passat Wagon?
  • Options
    I would check GVWR first...You can go to www.VW.com for all of
    the specs...
  • Options
    Why the extra-long five-month wait on the GL? I thought ordering from VW was a 90-day process.
  • Options
    regdor1999regdor1999 Member Posts: 3
    Thank you for the reply on post 984, re towing. I just returned from vacation to read your reply.

We are replacing my wife's useless (in my opinion, hehehe) Mitsubishi Eclipse GS. Talk about getting hammered on the trade, especially with Mitsu's special financing deals now to convince people to buy new ones. Therefore, we are selling it ourselves, and then hunting the for the VW after that. So much for instant gratification!
  • Options
    dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    Both the 1.8t and the 2.8 will carry about 1,100 lbs. (more than a Ford Explorer, and almost as much as many minivans - most cars are closer to 900 lbs) The extra weight won't hurt anything - the 1.8t engine has plenty of power. Now if you have 500 lbs plus 5 large adults that might be a problem - I am guessing you won't do this since the rear seats will be down. Make sure you put the weight as close to the center of the car as possible, and strap it down well.

For comparison the 1.8t with the 5-speed is about 400 lbs lighter than a 4-mo automatic v-6.
  • Options
    5speeder5speeder Member Posts: 97
    I bought an '02 GLS wagon 5-speed indigo/gray cloth at the end of May and paid about $700 over invoice. I also shopped around a bit (via phone & net). Not as great a deal as others report here, but I'm OK with it. I wanted the special '02 financing and like you, wanted the car immeditately. I didn't want to wait for the '03s to get here. No regrets whatsoever.

Hope you're enjoying your car!
  • Options
    mpardimpardi Member Posts: 3
    Sorry, my previous post was misleading. I did NOT get the 6 speed on the W8. I was/am trying to get the Sports Package (springs & 17" wheels) on a TipTronic, and I keep getting conflicting opinions from the dealer, even though I put down a deposit thru my buying service on May 6th. Still don't know if I can add the $1,500.00 Sports Package or not.
  • Options
    chalametchalamet Member Posts: 1
    First time I buy a car in US, first time I buy a VW. I'm planning on a 03 Passat GLS wagon, auto. Local dealer has one in stock, leather/sunroof/alloy wheels,moonson sound system. Best price I can get is $ 27 000 plus local tax and 130 $ fees. What do you experts think ?
    I also have checked w/ CarDirect but am waiting on their answer.
  • Options
    njdadnjdad Member Posts: 9
    I'm thinking about buying a used Passat wagon (1.8T or V6 w/ auto). Our plan is for my wife to drive the Passat wagon for 3 years or so at which point I'll take it over for commuting to work. My question is this: is it reasonable to expect to get 200K miles on the Passat 1.8T and V6(with performing proper maintenance)? Is one engine more likely to go 200K? Will the Tiptronic transmission get to 200K without requiring major work? I'm curious to hear everyone's thoughts.

We really like the Passat wagon, but I'm trying to get away with saving a few bucks. I'm just a little nervous about the reliability of the Passat. I've owned Hondas in the past and they've been quite reliable. I've heard good things about the Passat's reliability - I just wanted to hear what you guys (and gals) thought.

Thanks in advance for any insights.