Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Focus Wagon

Comments

• jazvanjazvan Member Posts: 106
    Compared to a Honda Civic for example I think you are correct and you are more likely to have more of the "small to medium size" problems like you stated. I think the major powertain items though are at least as good as Civic from my observations. Then again, you do get a bumper to bumper warranty and a 60/100K mile powertrain warranty with $100 deductible in my case. I'm not sure what the deductible is currently. The only downside I have is now people accuse me of going "NASCAR" becuz it's a Ford.

-Jaz
  • carglowcarglow Member Posts: 91
    Well I currently own an 05 Corolla LE, but I could use the space the Focus Wagon provides.

Do you think the Focus Wagon would compete favorably with the Corolla in terms of ride quality?
  • thaicatthaicat Member Posts: 19
    carglow; I too own a Corolla, mine is an 03 Sport, Last week I took a Focus Wagon and a Mazda 5 and my Corolla on a test drive down the exact same roads, one right after the other. The Mazda was the clear looser in this test, and the Focus seemed a little stiffer than my Corolla but not sharp and jarring as the Mazda was. I have a bad back and was able to find a very comfortable position in short order. Now bear in mind that this was only a 50 min test drive, so over the long haul....????? I love my Corolla but desperately need more cargo room and the Wagon is on the short list right now and will probably be my next vehicle. Just hope it is as comfy after 12 hours as it was after 50 min....lol

Hope this helps
    Thai
    Thanks for the input, thaicat

Wow ... that's surpising I thought the Mazda5 would outperform both the Corolla and Focus Wagon.

The FW is the perfect size for my needs I really don't want a minivan. The FW seems to have considerable more room than the Matrix and the rear seats fold flatter ( I think ... can someone confirm this?)

The deal on the FW with the family plan and rebates puts an SES with a MSPR of $19,400 for $15,100.

My biggest concern about the FW at this point is resale value.
    carglow; well.....the folks over on the Mazda5 Forum weren't happy with the review I gave of my test drive, but I was honest, honest, honest!!! There were 2 things that I was negative about and that was the comfort of the seats (and that is a personal thing after all) and the fact that in order to get cruise control, I would have to get the Touring model and this gets you 17 in tires, moonroof, some fancy stereo system and so on...... Everything else about the vehicle, I loved....:-))) It handles like a dream, is really a sharp looker, the sliding doors are awesome, BUT, if I am crippled when I get to Florida coming from Ontario, then the sharp looking wheels are a moot point...????

The FW rear cargo area is flatter than anything else we have seen and the floor is perfectly even, whereas in the M5, there are nooks and crannies and gaps but it too is flat.

We also do not want to do the SUV or minivan thing and the selection of wagons is poor, to say the least. So it is certainly looking like FW is my next car.

As for pricing, I am Canadian, so not sure what you mean by rebates and family plans? but the cost here is lower than the M5 would be, for sure. And again, I agree the resale is poor, BUT sometimes we have to do what we have to do in order to get what we want, if that makes sense. For us, we would rather take a hit on resale, than go with the majority, and get the gas guzzling SUV or a minivan.

Thai
    In Canada you get the Yaris/Vitz hatchback don't you? Is that too small?

I'm still undecided I still have to consider a Matrix. I'm scared to get the double whammy with trading in my Corolla and poor resale value of the Focus SW.

I believe the Focus is a much improved car, but I'm not sure the general public recognizes that so resale value is going to suffer.
    No we don't have the Yaris/Vitz....had to do a Google to see what it was and it looks like an Echo that we get here and yes that would be too small.

Not sure how much cargo area you need but you will be very disappointed in the Matrix if you need what the Focus offers! There is no comparison at all. we looked, believe me as I would prefer to stick with the Toyota BUT they just don't make what we need.
    Yeah it looks like the Matrix has enough length, but it doesn't have enough height.

Still want to check out the Chevy HHR too.
    Oh my gosh....this is new to me!!!!
    This is such a cool vehicle...:-))))
    Have to do more research on it such as pricing, cargo area, gas mileage, etc.
    Have you done this yet on the HHR?
    Yes ... they have info here at Edmunds and there's also an HHR website. Google it, I don't think we're allowed to post websites here.
    Thanks!! Got a lot of reading to do..........
    Max cargo HHR = 63.1 cu ft
    FW = 73.7

-Jaz
    thanks for the info on this, jazvan. As you know, cargo is a HIGH priority for me. And while I am not too impressed with the resale of the FW, I am not liking the idea of the HHR being a first year model and now you say it has 10 cu ft less space......mmmmmmm
    You have a good point on the 1st year. Focus was basically an existing vehicle brought to North American manufacturing and it took a couple years to get it reasonably reliable. I would think Chevy HHR will be comparable.

For me cargo was also high priority. We were looking at MPV's, Outbacks, mostly cars that were almost a foot longer then FW, and were really surprised when we started measuring inside the FW. Then we saw it had the 220lb rated roof rack which is at a height where I can actually use the rack. Then I realized we can sleep in the FW while camping if need be (45" almost as wide as the big minivans)... and I can easily fit it in the garage at 178". The footprint is about the same as a Civic, just a few inches longer.

As for resale, of course the longer you own the car the less this will matter.

-Jaz
    I believe that it was you that suggested I take a tape measure and compare the vehicles that I had on the short list?? I did this and was VERY surprised, and so were the dealers....LOL.

While I think that the HHR is a very cool looking vehicle, we are almost 100% decided on the FW at this point. It just seems to have ALL that we need, while giving us GREAT mileage, the size of vehicle is what we want to drive around town, the roof racks and very reasonable cost.

Thai
  • raabooraaboo Member Posts: 1
    I couldn't agree more. We're buying a 2005 wagon this week, and I was SHOCKED by how ugly the dash is. I have a 2000 sedan and I love the dash. *sniff*

The sales rep said "I hated it at first, but you'll get used to it."

And the plastic/vinyl interior is totally cheap. BUT...so is the price of the car. :)

The value for me is under the hood on this one, and in the cargo space.
    Hey, congrats. It's a smart choice. The new dash is probably a better layout, I just really like the flair of the old one. As much as I like my 04, you are also getting bigger brakes.
    BTW I'm finding all sorts of neat tricks like how to disable and enable the seat belt chimes. Keep us posted on how everything goes.

-Jaz
    Jaz-Am going to order my 05 wagon probably this afternoon and would love to know all the neat tricks you have discovered......please share. :D

Thai
    First of all, always wear your setbelts.

From another site:

#Before starting, make sure that:

# The partking brake is set.
    # The car is in Park(automatic), Neutral(manual).
    # The ignition is OFF.
    # All doors are closed.
    # The driver's safety belt is un-buckled.
    # The parking and headlights are OFF.

1) Turn the ignition switch to ON, but DO NOT START.

2) Wait for the safety belt warning light to go OFF(1-2 minutes).
    Steps 3-5 MUST be completed within 60 seconds!

3) Buckle, then un-buckle the driver's safety belt 3 times, ending with the belt un-buckled.

4) Turn on the headlights, turn off the headlights.

5) Buckle, then un-buckle the driver's safety belt 3 times, ending with the belt un-buckled.
    After step 5, the Safety Belt Warning Light will be turned on for 3 seconds.

6) Within 7 seconds of the safety belt warning light turning OFF, buckle then un-buckle the safety belt. This will disable the Belt Minder if it is currently enabled, or enable the Belt Minder if it is currently disabled.

Confirmation of the disabling of the Belt Minder is provided by flashing the safety belt warning light 4 times per seconds for 3 seconds. Confirmation of the enabling of the Belt Minder is provided by flashing the safety belt warning light 4 times per seconds for 3 seconds, followed by 3 seconds with the safety belt light off, then followed by flashing the safety belt light 4 times per second for 3 seconds again. After confirmation, the deactivation/activation of the Belt Minder procedure is complete.

Procedure not recommended for people who need the seat belt reminder for themselves or passengers.
    Thanks Jaz. Have printed this out for future reference.

Ordered my new wagon this afternoon and will have delivery next Thurs.... :D

Thai
  • fchoyfchoy Member Posts: 3
    Currently checked out a few used 2005 focus wagons at a non-ford large dealership.
    I have noticed that on all of the four wagons concerning the following :

1) On all four, the screws above the bump are visable, while the hatch door is closed.
    Is this common, and can this be fixed - DIY, or even covered under ford warranty ?

2) Three out of the five wagons, the muffler seems to be heavily rusted. Started one wagon with rusted muffler, it spits out small amounts of water.
    Is this a mounting problem, and would it be covered under ford warranty ?

3) The model, that i took the test drive is ZTW, there was no additional lettering.
    I checked on carfax, and it does not indicate SES or SE. What is the difference between ZTW and SES ?

Thanks in advance.

My test drive :
    1) feels like the wagon is going much faster, but not really. I guess this car is very light, and think that winter tires may or may not be required.
    2) the brakes feels very solid and comfortable.
  • trixwagentrixwagen Member Posts: 4
    ZTW is a pre-2005 model. 2005 Focus wagons are ZXW. SE and SES are trim levels with SES being the top-of-the-line wagon model. The SES gets a tachometer, fog lamps, 6 disc CD player, tilt/telescoping steering wheel, aluminum wheels, whereas the standard SE doesn't.

Not sure what to say about the other questions.
    1) OK, you made me curious so I took a look. There are some torx fasteners partly visible right under the hatch lip above the bumper. I had to really look to see them but there they are and it is normal. The designers were clearly not intent on completely hiding all the fasteners, for example you can see a few in the interior but you have to look for them.

2). The muffler is stainless steel, but it seems like a grade where you do get some visible oxidation (rust). Mine (04) is not what I would call heavily rusted and I am confident it is stable and will not rust through. There is a corrosion warranty but I think that applies mostly to the body. Water coming out of the exhaust is normal for all cars.

3). It is a pretty fast car considering the MPG. In the proper engine/transmission combination it will leave the Mazda5 (for example) in the dust.

ZTW is 04 or earlier.

-Jaz
  • kaiserbkaiserb Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 Focus Wagon that has overheating issues. The fans do not come on and cool the radiator unless the AC is on. I know the AC circuit probably has an override. My question is where are the temp sensors located on the car to turn the fans on and off during non AC mode.
  • bchancellorbchancellor Member Posts: 1
    Around 45k-47k miles my focus SE started falling apart.

Charging System went bad, both rear window motors went bad, valve cover leaks. Since I don't have an extended warranty (long story itself), I find myself paying nearly what the car is worth in repairing it.

-Brett
    Sorry, my mistake I think it is ZXW.

I decided to make the purchase and will be picking it up this week.
    It is fully loaded with sunroof.

Thanks trixwagen and jazvan, you both are very helpful and quick.
  • magneezomagneezo Member Posts: 15
    Just saw this cool flyer at the Ford dealer stating that the '06 will start having an 'Appearance Package', a 'Safety Package' and select choice options like 15 inch alloys as stand alone option,S Models get an MP3/CD standard, or deleting the overhead compartment on the SE(customer can now choose more or less), The convenience group -minus the dup. radio controls, Price adjustments and options to make Focus more competitive in the Marketplace, and it looks like they are saying interior trim upgrades and three new body paint colors.
    Can't Wait!
    Which Dealer?
    I am from Charlotte.
    Bought Mine at Town and Country.
    Great deal.
    Heard different things about them but I have been Satisfied.
    Hope your experience has been a good one.
    I really like how the seats in my '03 Wagon handle the road.
    It has some sort of spring action that when you hit a dip in the road it bounces slightly and cushions the ride.
    I really like the seats in the '03 focus Se Wagon, more comfortable- and they are pretty much the same as the 03 Taurus fabric. in a crossweave.
    This is one good riding wagon. I can't say my Old Astrovan was any more comfortable. It was an LT with custom seats! That thing floated like a ship on high seas...wavy and side to side.
    I've seen so many posts where people are asking 'what is the difference between an Se and ZTW?
    Well, for 03 it was pretty simple (and '04 wasn't far off this track)
    The SE for '03 came fully loaded with standard features:
    15 inch alloys
    Cargo Cover
    CD/MP3-Blaupunkt
    Roof Rack WITH CROSSBARS
    Zetec 2.0 standard
    Premium Paint and interior amenities like Center console
    and Faux leather trim on doors.
    The SE had No tilt/Cruise option for this year, as there was no Convenience group for the SE Wagon (but available only on fleet)
    Upgraded cloth upholstery and more cushioning. Sound deadening added
    to increase comfort and reduce noise.
    (It's amazing what armor all can do for the 'Virgin' Focus dashboard)
    The ZTW(base) came with Tilt/Cruise, but deleted the cargo Cover. ZTW Had ugly cloth seats that look as though they had cigarette burn holes all over.
    The ZTW Sport came fully loaded with all that stuff and then you could go leather, traction control, 16 inch wheels, etc.
    The '04 SE wagon saw the start of some major shaving, but gained the powerful 2.3
    nationwide.
    No Crossbars on roofrack,steel wheels w/ covers/ base CD player/no cargo cover.
    Still no convenience group offered for SE wagon, and fleet lost that option as well.
    Last year for 16 inch wheels on ZTW.
    05 SE comes with a bevy of packages and is well worth the cost if you shop them right. SE lost the Color coded side trim, but gained a convenience group- and Sport group is now an option! The seats suck because they are ZX3 'washable' trim, but actually look somewhat cool (No more cushy cloth seats) 2.3 motor given solely to ST, so no big motor for '05.
    Pricing an 05 wagon is challenging in some ways because you can equip an SE so close to an SES you'll be scratching your head wondering which is best pricewise.
    ZTW is the SES of earlier Focus Wagons.( this Taurus lettering thing is silly)
    The ZTW can be topped out w/ options and can be a hell of a good deal if you shop it right.
    1) I would suggest to anybody to get their hands on the Ford service info DVD, if you have a DVD drive on your computer. You can get them on EBAY or the like for about $25.

2) I'll take a look at my Ford DVD later and tell you what I find. Sensor replacement sounds like the 1st thing to try.. Does the temp guage run high?

3) There are some Focus sites where you can just do a search and usually find the info you need. WIll I get in trouble for this, focusfanatics?

'later
    -Jaz
    I think the temp sensor is just measuring coolant temp.

Is your temp guage going up well past 1/2 way?
    If not, you may not have a problem.

From what I have gathered, a properly functioning Focus' handles high temp pretty well and it is not unusual for the radiator cooling fan to Not come on even on a hot day in stop and go. Most Focus' have 2 cooling fans and one is dedicated to the air conditioner condensor. The only time I hear a fan come on is when my AC is on and I
    am stopped on a 100F day. My heat guage never goes above 1/2 way so I think everything is OK. FWIW

-Jaz
  • ajweeksajweeks Member Posts: 5
    We recently bought a 2005 ZXW in May and one of the main selling points for this car along with the great cargo room and price, was the gas mileage (26/32 MPG).

So far we really like the car, but the gas mileage has been no where near the estimated values. We drive mostly on city streets and it is summer, but we are still only getting around the low 20s MPG--not even close to 26! We have around 1500-2000 miles on the car so far and it is an automatic.

What MPG are others getting with the focus wagons? Do you keep the overdrive on when driving on city streets?

I'm hoping the gas mileage improves in the future. If we had wanted low 20s MPG, we might have have opted for a larger car like the Freestyle.
    This topic has been raised on several forums and the conclusions I see are not very surprising. Driving style is key and of course if you really push it, MPG can be surpisingly low. Your engine will improve a bit in a few thousand more miles.

I think the most meaningfull baseline is your max MPG under ideal conditions like going through an entire tankful on a long highway trip with few stops. If you get that opportunity it should be close to your EPA Highway number. My best was 35 mpg over 2 tankfuls at a steady 75 mph. I average around 29-30 in mixed driving but it drops when I have "episodes of enthusiasm". . That is with a 2.3 and 5-speed.

-Jaz
    The owners manual suggests keeping the O/D on during all normal driving,
    only turn it off when hitting steep hills or curves (mountain driving-up the hill)
    It was opposite of what I expected to read, and had initially driven the car for 3 weeks with it off.
    Check your owners manual. It will state that.
  • bobw3bobw3 Member Posts: 2,989
    O/D on is always the norm because at every gear it shifts a little earlier, thus giving better gas mileage. Every automatic is that way.
  • bnordbergbnordberg Member Posts: 2
    I have a 03 SE focus wagon with the 2L ZETECH. So far I am getting almost 40MPG Highway 30ish City. So I am pretty happy with this. I have had to learn to control my lead foot and accelerate slowly to get this however.
    I found an OEM cruise control unit on Ebay and was assured it was a plug and play install. I keep getting stuck trying to find a 7 pin ignition plug connector in the directions. I have a 9 pin ignition lock connector when I remove the steering column shrouds, but the 7 pin connector is MIA. Anyone ever done one of these installs before? Or know where this 7 pin ignition plug is?
  • penguinfrostpenguinfrost Member Posts: 5
    Remember, using the A/C on a hot day can drop the mileage significantly in City driving, as it increases fuel consumption, particularly during idle (as a percentage). So if you are in stop and go city traffic with th A/C cranked up on a hot day, you will not get close to the EPA indicated mileage. I have heard estimate of A/C fuel consumption (how much more is used with the A/C on) of about 1/4 of a gallon per hour, e.g., if you are in town getting 26 MPG and only drive an average of 26 MPH, the A/C could drop your mileage from 26 MPG to 20-21 MPG. Of course, if you are driving 65 MPH on the freeway, the A/C will have less of an impact on MPG.
    Bnordberg, Wow, almost 40 mpg is really super. Note the wagon drag coefficient is actually a tad better then the other Focus models. I think the Focus responds really well when you strive for max MPG, you just have to be patient. Re: cruise control, I can not offer too much constructive on the connector. I do know that Ford sells a retrofit unit that reportedly works well, but it's pricey.

Re: AC. I have to agree with penguinfrost's comments. I notice the AC seems to have more of an effect on my Focus MPG that it did on my Civic MPG. Maybe a bigger and/or less efficient AC unit?

BTW I test drove a Mazda5 and took interior measurements. Interior cargo area height from deck to ceiling is the same as our wagons, about 36". Second seat floor to ceiling height is also the same on both cars. That's in a vehicle that is 4" higher. Lastly, I verified the MZ5 is 41" wide in the back vs 44-45" for our cars. Clearly, the Focus Wagon has more cargo volume.

-Jaz
    And I can verify that Jaz is correct in his measurements... :D
    I too did a test drive of the Mazda 5 and the cargo space in the Focus Wagon is not only bigger, it is IMO better configured with a flat floor space.

Lovin' my wagon, so far.
    Thai
  • smariasmaria Member Posts: 279
    BTW I test drove a Mazda5 and took interior measurements. Interior cargo area height from deck to ceiling is the same as our wagons, about 36". Second seat floor to ceiling height is also the same on both cars. That's in a vehicle that is 4" higher.

Yeah, the Mazda5's "theater-style" seating raises up the 2nd and 3rd row, so no more head-room in back even though it's a taller vehicle.
    I also have recently purchased a 2005 ZXW SES (used) and the gas mileage is also not close to 26.

I keep the air conditioner off, and am very light on the gas pedal. When driving, I look in advance for a red light ahead and will not bother accelerating to reach the light.

With the engine cold, I noticed that when first starting the vehicle, the rpm is at 2, and will slowing go down to .4, a few minutes. After this with the engine hot it will be at .4
    Also when accelerating the engine doesn't seem to be as smooth as my previous vehicle, or it could be just me.
    The fuel gauge seems to be precise, since the needle moves noticeably.
    Is the newer Taurus a better choice ? I had 1994 before (head gasket blew).

Haven't been driving much because of gas prices and have been feeling sick because now I want to trade it in (but can't afford to),

Having a hard time getting a gas cap lock that will fit, so will try again next month.

I am thinking about installing a K & N air filter, if it is possible.
  • davidh2837davidh2837 Member Posts: 4
    Just Saturday I bought a 2000 wagon. I wish I'd have camped out in this forum before I did so. Of course for every problem that is brought up there are those who will also say they have had nothing of the sort and love the car.

This vehicle had 26,000 miles on it and I thought gee what low miles for a car that is almost 6 years old now. I test drove it and noticed nothing to dissuade me.

When I drove it off the lot I got an education. Without warranty it looks like I now own the problems.

The directionals broke or were broken and amazingly I did not detect this during the test drive, the dealer insisted they were were working. They do not turn off on turns and have to be manually turned off. When I went to fill it up it took only 6 gallons despite the gauge showing 1/4 tank. Upon closer inspection I could see where the previous owner had gouged the plastic instrument facing trying to make it work. Broken gas guage which I have been reading on the forum here is very common on these cars. Finally after driving it for some time I noticed the high pitched whinning noise that either comes from the engine, transmission or rear end, take your pick. Of course this may be just how they sound in general but nonetheless I find it irritating and have never owned a car with this.

I am thinking my best bet is to fix these things and get it in the paper quickly and consider myself lucky if I can get rid of it

Any comments would be appreciated. Caveat Emptor. :lemon:
    I heard that Stanton make a locking gas cap for the 2005. This cap is different then previous years. An internet search should find you a supplier. Re: K&N filter, there are different ways to do this. If you mount it right off the throttle body you will be drawing in warm air instead of the cold air that the stock air filter takes in. You may not gain anything at all either in MPG or HP. If you go the Cold Air intake route then the K&N filter is mounted low and some say is a potential danger to pick up water in wet areas. On the other hand, this system will gain you some HP, there are claims and some data stating 8+HP gain, but what often happens is the MPG goes down 'cuz the driver likes using the power more. In either event you would have to put the stock air filter back in every few years if your state smog check requires a visual inspection, and you need to put it back in before going to a Ford Dealer 'cuz they may void your warranty. Also note the stocker does not require filter change for over 100K miles I believe. IMO I would leave the system stock.

-Jaz
    I may not be able to offer much constructive except to future potential buyers. The 2000 and 2001 had lots of problems and recalls being the first years of a totally new car designed in Germany and produced in Wayne, Michigan (wagons). But even in these years plenty of people do not have problems and get over 100K miles easy. From 2003 on there is a 36/36 bumper-to-bumper transferable warranty and 60 month/100K mile powertrain warranty also fully transferable and I would recommend these years and the quality increases as the years go on. As for the 2000 in question, some states have laws requiring the dealer to take the car back during a short grace period, but I assume you are not in one of those states or it's too late. Also, if it was a Ford dealer there may be a short warranty on it. But assuming that neither is the case you are right to fix the indicator and fuel guage. The whining noise is not normal and that could be a big problem. If the sound is coming from the rear end - that is good news cuz there are no moving parts back there other then wheel bearings. If you know a trusted and reasonable mechanic I would have him troubleshoot it. You may be able to tell if it's the engine by seeing if the frequency of the whine corresponds to engine rpm or to vehicle mph. If you are going 30 mph and down shift one gear and are still going 30 does the whine frequency increase or stay the same? It is also possible that it is something not quite as expensive like wheel bearings or differential. One last thought is that 25K miles is suspicious for a 2000 car and I would do a Carfax check if you haven't already.

-Jaz
  • davidh2837davidh2837 Member Posts: 4
    Thanks Jaz,

I should have done my homework and lot checks better, shame on me.

The dealer which is an off lot supposedly with a good reputation is looking into possible Ford recall notices on the non working directional auto off. I am seeing that the non working gas guage is a common problem in reading the board.

As far a the whine, I am not optimistic. I thought at first it was just how the car ran and sounded but I believe it comes from either the trans or the engine as it rises when I accelerate but is not loud.

Sorry to admit but it looks like my best bet would be to get rid of this turkey before it costs me much more to keep fixing and fixing.

I guess the lesson here is that a vehicle with low miles should be viewed with as much suspicion as one with high mileage should be with caution!

Dave
    BTW you can check for Technical Service Bulletins here:

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/tsb/tsbsearch.cfm

I would venture to guess the whine is not the engine, more likely the tranny ( I assume it's an auto). Here's one possibility that would be good to eliminate - have the ATX fluid completely changed and defintiely replace the filter. It can get really gummed up and clogged in 5 years even with low miles and cause some noises.

-Jaz
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Member Posts: 3,855
    I am thinking of buying a used 2000-02 focus wagon (if I find a buyer for my Windstar). Drove one today and the only problem I had is the steering wheel was a little farther away for me than I would like. The 2002 I drove had only a tilt wheel no telescoping.

Would the telescoping wheel allow the wheel to get closer to me than the standard non-telescoping, or only further away?

Was the telescoping wheel part of an option package for these? It might help me identify listings for ones that have telescoping, if I know they had to have some other option(s) to get that.
    I didn't realize my tilting wheel was also telescoping at first. While the lever is disengaged for tilting, give the wheel a good tug - it also telescopes. It could be that they also made a tilt-only wheel, I just don't know. Yes, the wheel does seem a little far away depending on what car you are coming from, but the tele gets it just right for me.

-Jaz