Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Subaru Legacy/Outback

Comments

• Options
    kenskens Member Posts: 5,869
    Great descriptions on the AWD systems. I find the easiest way to think of VTD and VDC as VTD=the actual AWD drivetrain and VDC=the traction/yaw control that sits on top of VTD.

I have a nagging feeling that Subaru is going to put the H6 into the Legacy GT line despite what we've heard. In Japan, there's the GT30 model that the GT here is starting to look more and more alike. For me, a 3.0 GT with the sport shift would be a great choice to meet our needs for a larger, more family-oriented vehicle in the future.

Ken
  • Options
    paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    a 3.0 GT with sport shifter might peak my interest enough to forget about the SVX...

nah...

-mike
  • Options
    99gs99gs Member Posts: 109
    That clears it up for me. Jack
  • Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Yup, Ken, and they didn't have any Legacy Limiteds on the floor at the show. Perhaps it's in the lineup (with the H6), but they just chose not to show it? Or is wasn't ready?

-juice
  • Options
    goosegoggoosegog Member Posts: 206
    nzblade: Hi Gavin boyo. I have read that here in Canada the Subaru Rally Team 2.2 engines are available to the public in two forms, high power and very high power. A journalist tested both and found that he couldn't shift fast enough to keep up with the vhp version, thus he recommended the hp for road use.

Anyway, he went on to say that these engines will fit just about any Subaru on the road today.

An expensive solution, but perfect in every other way!

On another topic the new Forester is to be unveiled here at the show in Vancouver. The picture I saw shows a front end that resembles the OB. There appear to be a lot of changes to this car.
  • Options
    hurler4hurler4 Member Posts: 104
    Any photos out there of the 2003 Legacy or Outback?

Does the Legacy GT Wagon still have two sunroofs?

Did they upgrade the interior materials?
  • Options
    later today. I have a ton.

-mike
  • Options
    rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
  • Options
    nzbladenzblade Member Posts: 2
    Brian
    Thanks mate, I guess I could go wandering into Possum Bournes place and yack to the crew there, cept it plays to know at least what the options are so you dont look a complete prick !

I've been trying, unsuccesfuly, to find somewhere with the tech specs on the TS, I haven't a clue if the drive train is the same as a GT etc etc.. the problem is that the TS is a import and nobody seems to know [non-permissible content removed] about it here.. any clues where I could find detailed specs would be awsum.

Thanks

Gav
  • Options
    ccampbell4ccampbell4 Member Posts: 60
    I've been thinking about getting a little utility trailer to pull with my 02 Outback. I saw something perfect at Costco the other night for $579 - prewired, built in ramp, fold down front and back for long materials, holds 4x8 materials flat. First, do any of you have any bad experiences with that trailer? Second, what kind of hitch should I get and how much should it cost? The hitch I saw on subaruparts.com is $217 and looks like a plain ball type. What's the difference between those and the black square tube type? Thanks for your help.
  • Options
    Oooh, Costco has them now? Gotta go see, gotta go see! :-)

I have the OE hitch from Subaru (it's squared off). It includes the hitch and the harness, and it's a custom fit on my Forester. You still need to buy the ball, I have a 2" one I got at Trak Auto for $7. I think even WalMart has those.

Hidden Hitch and Draw-Tite also make hitches that might fit, but don't forget the harness. Luckily, on Forester and Outback the OE ones plug right in, both are pre-wired.

-juice
  • Options
    ccampbell4ccampbell4 Member Posts: 60
    juice - the Costco near me has them and they seem really nice. It's exactly what I had in mind. Please forgive my ignorance about hitches. What part is the harness - the wiring connection? When you say the OE ones plug right in, do you mean there is already a connection on the car and I could buy the hitch and put it on myself? Is there any reason to NOT do that? It sounds like a no-brainer.
  • Options
    bkaiser1bkaiser1 Member Posts: 464
    www.etrailer.com has a drawtite hitch which is essentially the same as the OEM hitch for $89 (+$12 shipping). It has not arrived yet (so I can't precisely confirm this yet), but according to the specs, the hitch will go up and over the exhaust pipe (as opposed to hanging under it as it does on some cars) and bolts into existing holes in the body of the car. I don't expect to lose too much rear departure angle (which isn't great to begin with). They estimate about 30 minutes for a 'tard like me to install it...so not too difficult.

I would seriously recommend against the Subaru hitch -- they are WAY overpriced and certainly of no better quality or strength than a good DrawTite hitch. My dealership almost refused to sell me one...they would put it on only if I absolutely had to have one that said Subaru, but they pointed out that UHaul (or anyone else in town) would be able to do it for under half the cost.
  • Options
    Yes, harness = wiring, and yes, the OE harness plugs right in. Your dog could do it, it's so easy. :-)

The only catch is the OE kit costs more than aftermarket models. To me, it wasn't worth the savings to hassle with finding the right harness, and worrying about a custom fit. Darlene delivered it to my door in 2 days for $180 or so IIRC.

Also, the OE hitch bolts down with seven 17mm bolts, while some aftermarket hitches I've seen use just four. That's probably OK, but still.

Maybe Brian can tell us how many bolts his attaches with, and whether the harness just plugs in. If it fits nicely, save your cash.

-juice
  • Options
    I'll let you know about the hitch once it gets here...I did not bother with the wiring harness because I'll be using the hitch for an additional bike rack (to go with the 3 up top) but the harness on ETrailer should (?) plug right in with no mods necessary. I'll keep you posted...
    Brian
  • Options
    Do you recall the price? You paid $101 with shipping for just the hitch, while I paid $180 but got the harness and free shipping. So the final cost may be close.

-juice
  • Options
    jimw11jimw11 Member Posts: 4
    Does anyone have instructions on how to install the air filtration kit in a 2002 Subaru Outback Wagon?
  • Options
    Nope, but it wasn't hard on the Forester. I think on the OB you have to remove the glove box.

Anyone know bitman's URL? His site has lots of instructions.

-juice
  • Options
    The wiring harness for the hitch would have added $35 to the tab...it's a direct connection to the OEM wiring with no splicing necessary...plug and play.
    B
  • Options
    Cool, so $136 is still cheaper than $180.

-juice
  • Options
    mortpeaberrymortpeaberry Member Posts: 69
    I think I remember someone saying they had done them themselves. was it bitman?
    also… I will count bolts and take pictures of my hitch (drawtite IIRC) and post them (what is the best way to post pictures?
    steve-v
  • Options
    Image Station? I have not tried it.

-juice
  • Options
    brownwjbrownwj Member Posts: 19
    Regarding message 5117 Jimw11 - the instructions were posted in a previous message to my request for the same info. could be 6-months or so. I do not know how to go back and find it again. If you click on my title it will give my past info it should show the messages I have sent out and the answer should be close to that date and message number.
  • Options
    subearusubearu Member Posts: 3,613
    although, they must have just went through a bit of a disk move or something, as I had to readjust my pics in my profile.

I've even ordered pictures from 'em. Course, now I just print from my Sony DPP-SV55, but for pics larger than 4x6", I wouldn't hesitate to order from imagestation again.

that, and the fact that they've hung around while photopoint went up/down/up/?. still free too.

you can click on my profile to see pics from my imagestation albums too (links to my 3 albums are there now).

-Brian
  • Options
    hondafriekhondafriek Member Posts: 2,984
    Jim, if you go to post #2154 in modifications you will find the URL for the site that gives the install intructions for all the accessories that Subaru sells including the info you want.

Cheers Pat.
  • Options
    aps5aps5 Member Posts: 43
    I know it's been mentioned in this group before, but the automatic trans. gear logic and ratios for the H6 is just plain lousy.

I guess to improve gas mileage, the thing really needs to be coaxed to downshift early, especially if you are already moving. I know 3 liters is substantial for this car, but the engineers designed it to feel quite underpowered.

Having said that, otherwise the Bean is incredibly quiet and smooth when up to speed, and definitely smoother than my previous MB 300E.

No one should think they are getting a powerhouse when buying the H6, though!
  • Options
    mikenkmikenk Member Posts: 281
    How long have you had the car? I have the VDC and complained about the same thing early on. For some reason, as I put the miles on (15K), my perception of the problem or the problem seemed to go away. It seems to accelerate well for me now both from stop or for passing. I really don't know whether it is a break-in issue, me learning the car, vice versa, or psychological. Anyway, give it a little time.

Mike
  • Options
    rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    that Subaru automatics may have an "adaptive" transmission. By that I mean, the tranny "learns" how the driver drives, and adapts it shift points accordingly. From what I understand that may take a week or so.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Bob
  • Options
    aps5aps5 Member Posts: 43
    I will admit that the problem seems less now than earlier on. If stopped and you step on the gas, the accel. is quite acceptable.

On another topic: is there a way to get the Bean to "vent" outside air, that is just fresh air blowing in unheated and no ac? I'm guessing that you turn the auto temp down to 65, and that is "vent".

Andy
  • Options
    Yes all the AT Subie tranies are adaptive. They will learn situations when there is slipping and re-arrange power using the events that led up to that point. A classic one is if you always chrip the front wheels from a dead stop, after some time of doing that often, it will move power to the front when you come to a complete stop so that when you pound the gas out of the stopsign or light, you don't chirp the wheels in the future.

-mike
  • Options
    jacksattajacksatta Member Posts: 2
    I just got a barebones 2001 outback wagon--love it! but, of course, now the sound system is killing me...good recommendations appreciated--best interface (not too flashy), if no faceplate, should i get the subie alarm system? install the alarm myself (voids warranty?)

also, best resources for floor mats (didn't come with that either!) OE cargo mat? negotiate with dealer: bad?

thanks very much!
    jack
  • Options
    If you are ordering a Legacy GT, you can actually get it on the 02s. I was just at my dealer and he said the AWP stuff (leather, heated seats, heated mirrors) is available on the 02 GTs (non limited) as a factory option mid-year change.

-mike
  • Options
    subyaudidudesubyaudidude Member Posts: 136
    Hello all. My dad is looking at a 2000 Suby OB Ltd sedan here in town. The person who's selling it bought it new in May 2000. Am I correct when I say that the 3/36k warranty started on the date of purchase? Thus, since the car has about 23k on it now, it's got 1+ years/13k left on the warranty? TIA.
  • Options
    krgoldmankrgoldman Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2001 Outback Limited Wagon. Ever since I got the car (about 10 months), I have felt that it has unacceptably high wind noise from the driver's side window (in the vicinity of the sideview mirror). The dealer has tried to work on it (3 times), but the noise either was not fixed, or came back after a short time. We don't notice this on the passenger side at all. Has anyone else had this problem? Been able to correct it. I will be meeting with the Subaru rep on Wednesday, so any input would be appreciated.
  • Options
    With imagestation can you hot link a photo and show it here on Edmunds?

paisan: so 2002 GT wagons can be equipped with leather and AWP? Cool. Are they called Limiteds? Or just GTs, with a-la-carte options?

Jack: isn't the cargo mat standard on Outbacks? Carpets too? Forester has both standard. Anyone confirm?

Yes, Seth, you are correct. E-mail Patti (pmickel@subaru.com) if you want her to check the VIN on that car, for a service history.

Kenneth: the window angle is adjustbale, because some one here actually did that themselves. Also check that the roof rack cross bars are in the right direction (like airplane wings, sharp edge at the back).

-juice
  • Options
    I think it's an addon to the GT and GT Limited. Your dealer has to special order it from the factory though.

-mike
  • Options
    my profile has 3 pics that come from imagestation, and I've posted pics in the Subaru Crew

-Brian
  • Options
    peterson10peterson10 Member Posts: 116
    Kenneth, The increased wind-noise comes from the driver's side mirror which is angled 13 degrees flatter than the passenger's side. That, in combination with its size (compare it to other passenger cars, and many trucks) creates a fair bit of turbulance. Also, your window gasket probably has a tiny gap right above the triangular, black plastic mirror (and tweeter) housing. If you look inside the gasket (it is "C" shaped in cross-section), there is a thin molded-on rubber bumper to help seal the window as the gasket bulges past the mirror housing. I've wanted to experiment with adding some additional bumper material (i.e. a short section of 1/8" silicone tubing), but I only think of it when driving on the highway. Also, check the location and orientation of your cross-rails. Take 'em off altogether if you don't anticipate needing them, and the noise will diminish quite a bit. After 2.5 years, I've become immune to the noise (although it drove me nuts for the first year)!

Floor mats and cargo mat? Well, they were standard in 2000.

YetAnotherDave
  • Options
    foxt61foxt61 Member Posts: 2
    I noticed a recent discussion on hitches. I'm looking for a hitch for my 2000 Outback wagon, and I think I recall reading somewhere that the aftermarket models require you to cut out a section of the rear bumper - anyone had that experience? Also, I saw the earlier set of posts about the $136 setup from eTrailer. That doesn't include the towbar ($20) or a ball - did the $180 model from Subaru include those?
  • Options
    our '00 OB came with the carpeted floor mats and rear rubber cargo mat, fwiw. so, they WERE standard, maybe they've become optional (scratching head wondering why that'd be the case).

I added rubber floor mats this past fall to ours.

-Brian
  • Options
    Cost cutting?

You had a Sprint, too? Mine was an '86, also during college. I was lucky - I owned mine during Desert Storm, when gas prices skyrocketed. Once they leveled off I traded up.

Subaru's hitch includes the tow bar but not the ball. I found a 2" ball at Trak Auto for $7 IIRC.

-juice
  • Options
    amazing what coke can sized cylinders can do for mpg, eh? manual steering, non-hydraulic clutch, but the thing was light enough that the steering didn't feel heavy. seemed like you could blow on the clutch pedal to make it move.

it did have a nice smooth shifting manual though. made 80 mph once - on a downhill!

-Brian
  • Options
    My clutch fried and cost me $360. I died just north of Baltimore on the way back from NY.

Mine would only hit 80 if you pushed it off a cliff. Apparently many owners did this! ;-)

Glad to have a real car now.

-juice
  • Options
    juice: I lost 1 cylinder once during a rain storm - spark plug wires were shot. Imagine going from 3 cylinders to just 2! And just before I sold it, the cat went. Would be driving along and slowly power would cease. Letting it idle for a few moments restored power, but the cycle started over again. was an excellent snow vehicle (the narrow bicycle tires helped).

I was very glad to get rid of it. But it did help me out financially during college, so it served me well.

hows this relate to subies? sometimes you have to try the rest to end up with the best. :)

-Brian
  • Options
    "Power would cease"? So how did you notice a difference? LOL!

Mine had 145SR12s which were smaller than my friend's motorcycle tires. I ditched mine just as the bearings were starting to give.

But honestly, it served me well at a time when I was broke.

-juice
  • Options
    krgoldmankrgoldman Member Posts: 4
    Dave and Juice, thanks for replying. The first thing I did to reduce the wind noise was to remove the luggage rack cross bars. The dealer has replaced the mirror gasket and performed numerous window adjustments. Dave's comments about the mirror make a lot of sense as I can make the noise go away by folding in the mirror (not an optimum way to drive). This is making me crazy as the car is reasonable quiet otherwise. I just hate taking it on long trips. Is this a problem with all Outbacks? I never had a similar problem with my '81, '86 and '92 Subarus.
    Ken G.
  • Options
    So it's a whistling noise at the mirror. What about trying some two-side tape in the gaps?

I once read that golf balls travel farther due to the dimples - maybe you could find similar material for those gaps?

Just thinking out loud here, pardon me.

-juice
  • Options
    talk about cheap tires! yep, 12-inchers on my rally blue sprint/metro (ok, it was blue). You could buy a whole set of 4 for $100!

one thing it did introduce me to was a DIY project - adding a rear defrost grid. most Sprints came with hardly an option, mine came without a rear defroster. So, I bought one at the local auto parts store and spent an afternoon putting it on the rear glass. Was skeptical, but it did work quite well too, if I must say so myself!

Ken G: I haven't heard a mirror whistle on our '00 OB, but I also have the hood deflector, which may dissipate some of the wind around the mirror. I noticed that I heard more wind noise through the roof rack (with the cross bars installed) when the hood deflector was NOT installed.

-Brian
  • Options
    armac13armac13 Member Posts: 1,129
    4 cyl., 13" tires, rear defroster, sunroof. Not at all a bad car except for the terrible resale value.

the only Ross
  • Options
    Nice thing was the tires where interchangeable with my Schwinn! LOL.

I do care about efficiency, though, so I pledged back then that all my cars would get at least 20 mpg EPA city cycle, and so far have not broken that promise. Even with AWD.

-juice