Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Subaru Legacy/Outback

Comments

• Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    The demographics fit me pretty good except I'm your basic 50 year old married ski bum and I substitute frugality for income. After all, I saw a touring production of Fosse just before my trip and then drove the Outback through Canada where I saw a wolf and the first thing I did upon arrival in Boise was hit the slopes.

Oh yeah, I tend to mumble, causing people to think I said "Dave" when I introduce myself as "Steve."

I think the WSJ nailed it :-)

Steve, Host
  • Options
    outback_97outback_97 Member Posts: 130
    Brian said: "The WSJ listed the "average" driver profile as Male, 51 years old, married, with a household income of $91,500. It also said we like skiing, foreign travel, wildlife, and cultural events."

Me: Yes, no, no, NO. 25% correct.
    I like snowboarding, domestic travel, wildlife, and cultural events. 50% correct.

What Graham said, maybe it's skewed by the readership. Interesting though.

Brian, that's very interesting, and kudos to Subaru for marketing effectively. This is incredibly biased, but I think if the Subaru "demographic" is represented on this site, Subaru drivers are very intelligent, helpful, and diverse people. I don't think you can create an "average" from so many different and above average people as I have seen post here.

utahsteve
  • Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    We decided that "Steve" was the 3rd most common name, so you're right at home.

I think we can add "hockey fan" to the list of demographics, too. If you're ever been to a chat, that's the sport most often mentioned. No doubt it's the AWD/cold weather connection.

-juice
  • Options
    ncvolncvol Member Posts: 196
    On the Car Talk website, they did a poll for the most popular gay man and most popular lesbian car. The Outback won the most popular lesbian car poll.
  • Options
    Tonight's the night - link is on the left, at the top, etc.

Steve, Host
  • Options
    nematodenematode Member Posts: 448
    I would have the OB AND and Z06.
  • Options
    otis123otis123 Member Posts: 439
    Not if you lived in NYC, Boston, SanFran, etc. metro areas...

Ralph
  • Options
    nygregnygreg Member Posts: 1,936
    if you are married, have kids, like skiing and cultural events!

Funny, someone over in the Sienna forum asked about the OB. She has 2 kids, a dog and likes camping. Told her if her husband's name is Dave and has a Mac, she is obligated to buy one. Hopefully she will visit this forum.

Greg
  • Options
    fibber2fibber2 Member Posts: 3,786
    I would love to see a copy of it but they require signing up with a credit card to get access now. I was interviewed by Lorraine Farkensen for the OB article back in November and am curious as to whether I made the cut....

Steve
  • Options
    ladywclassladywclass Member Posts: 1,713
    >>The WSJ listed the "average" driver profile as Male, 51 years old, married, with a household income of $91,500. It also said we like skiing, foreign travel, wildlife, and cultural events. Go figure. <<

Hmm ...
    no, no, no, no... also no, no, so-so, and ok ...
    Does that mean I don't fit the profile?
  • Options
    "Drivers Include: Steven Hexxxxxxx, engineer..."

That's you right? Enjoy the 15 minutes.

Steve, Host
  • Options
    I lived in Philadelphia for 6 years. No thanks. I stick with the mid-west. Living 25 miles from work and getting there in 30 minutes door to door. Now thats quality of life!!! Unless I have to I'm never living in or around a major city again.
  • Options
    bkaiser1bkaiser1 Member Posts: 464
    I scanned the article (really, just a small box more than an "article") from the WSJ...I can email it if you'd like. I'd post it here but I have no idea how to imbed a PDF in this text box.

B
  • Options
    We are famous!!! (or is that infamous...)
    Thanks, but I just got back from the site library with some photocopies.
    Host Steve also sent me the text - thanks also.

Lorraine paraphrased my comment which became "Quirky carmaker was one of the few to embrace all-wheel drive on passenger cars".

She never asked me about income, so not sure where her data came from.

Steve
  • Options
    bkaiser1bkaiser1 Member Posts: 464
    The source is listed as RL Polk and Co for the demographic profiles, so it's some outside research firm providing the data.

I prepare demographic analyses for businesses for the Small Business Development Center and have dealt with some of the commercial data providers out there -- most are peddling crap data based on questionable methodologies.

Anyway, it's still an interesting profile.

Brian
  • Options
    I had to crawl under the dash to get to the box with the circuit board, but moving the DIP switch (turned #5 off) killed the chirp. Now just the lights flash when I arm the '97 OB. Much nicer :-)

Don't forget the chat in progress, btw.

Steve, Host
  • Options
    I live in NYC metro area (45 minutes north of Times Square). It takes me 25 minutes and 22 miles to get to work. Good to know I have a mid-west commute! ;-)

Good article on WSJ's Me & My Car box:

http://slate.msn.com/id/2075300/

It's all in the sample population....apples in, apples out... white middle-aged married males are the most prevalent consumers of cars...

Signed - another WMMM,

Ralph
  • Options
    mws1672002mws1672002 Member Posts: 19
    I contacted the main office of Subaru and I now have a case worker. I faxed the 20 pages of documentation that I have kept since this problem started. Subaru had me drop the car off at the dealer again to download the information from the computer. They said it would cost them $8000 to give me a new car so they want to solve this problem without just throwing parts at it. I also informed them I have contacted the Attorney General, and have also contacted my attorney. This problem is not an acceptable to me to live with.
  • Options
    One thing about those demographics is that they probably count who the car is registered to. So if you buy a car for your kids, it'll appear in your name. That makes the buyers seem older.

-juice
  • Options
    K9LeaderK9Leader Member Posts: 112
    Interesting about the skewed demographic information that the WSJ chooses to use. But isn't that what the WSJ is all about? Reinforcing the point of view of its conservative, well-to-do, middle-aged, white, male readers, and confirming that they are the only segment of society that really matters. It seems that the WSJ's political agenda permeates not only the editorial page and all of its "news" reporting, but now it is in car reviews.

I am male, white (of Hispanic and German descent), 42 years old (in 10 days), married, 2 kids, 2 dogs, 3 cars ('00 Outback, '98 Toyota Sienna, '94 Lincoln Mark VIII), mortgage, high school teacher (writing and computer literacy), bicyclist, Boy Scout leader . . .
    but I don't read the Wall Street Journal and I didn't vote for W so I do not exist.

Oops, frothing on my soapbox again. This rain has to stop so I can get out and pedal out some of this pent up angst.

--K9Leader
  • Options
    You want to know who we are?

Name: Dave, Mike, Steve, or at least a "K" in the name
    Pets: yes, usually 2, primarily dogs and cats
    Profession: educators, techies
    Computer: lots of Macs among us
    Hobbies: hiking, biking, gardening
    Type of driver: defensive, curteous in any weather
    Sport: hockey or skiing, WRC (spectator)
    Memberships: IMBA, Tread Lightly
    Catalogs received: LL Bean, Eddie Bauer

Sounds about right.

-juice
  • Options
    hypovhypov Member Posts: 3,068
    you forgot the love for food ;-)

-Dave
  • Options
    I just read it for the car news :-)

Steve, Host
  • Options
    according to juice:
    Name: Dave, Mike, Steve, or at least a "K" in the name ME: NONE OF THE ABOVE
    Pets: yes, usually 2, primarily dogs and cats YOU KNOW ONLY ONE AND JUST THIS WEEK
    Profession: educators, techies GOT ME HERE.. I'M A TEACHER
    Computer: lots of Macs among us NEVER OWNED ONE (BUT I'M REQUIRED TO USE THEM AT *ONE* SCHOOL WHERE I WORK)
    Hobbies: hiking, biking, gardening NOT MUCH, OCCASIONALLY, AND ONLY WHEN I HAVE TO
    Type of driver: defensive, curteous in any weather OK .. THIS IS ME BUT *I'M* COURTEOUS
    Sport: hockey or skiing, WRC (spectator) NO, NO, AND NO ... EXERCISE IS PULLING THE PLUG AND FIGHTING THE CURRENT .. ;-)
    Memberships: IMBA, Tread Lightly (IMBA?)
    Catalogs received: LL Bean, Eddie Bauer NOPE ON EITHER ONE - I PREFER TO DO THAT KIND OF SHOPPING ONLINE>>
    K .. so NOW what do you do with me?
  • Options
  • Options
    There are a LOT of Outbacks and Foresters in the northern NYC suburbs. I'd say about 80% of the Outback drivers are female and 90% of the Forester drivers are female...and they tend to be excellent, courteous drivers.

I tend to bring the Outback mean down traveling too fast...

Ralph
  • Options
    tchase1tchase1 Member Posts: 16
    I suspect there's a lot of truth to judging folks based on the car they drive and how they drive. Just like clothes, they're often symbols of who we are. The profile from WSJ is pretty close, except for the $ part (we're lower) and I only used to own a MAC. On the courtesy trait, I'm afraid I'm a little too aggressive behind the wheel sometimes, but I live in Corvallis, OR and Corvallis drivers are so defensive they're offensive.

But I bet you can tell a lot more about what's inside the car--aside from the people. I know my OB is usually full of sports equipment--racquets, golf clubs, ski gear, hats, shoes, balls--unless my wife asks me to clean out the clutter.
  • Options
    tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Name: Dave, Mike, Steve, or at least a "K" in the name ME: NONE OF THE ABOVE"

Does this include just first names?

tidester, host
  • Options
    tkevinblanctkevinblanc Member Posts: 356
    Please let us know how it turns out. That's got to be very, very frustrating. It's unacceptable for any company to "give up": I'm glad Subaru is not doing so.

On the other hand, I understand their desire not to just give you another car. Then they don't learn anything and there's an unsuspecting buyer of a used car that doesn't work right.

Are they providing a loaner?
  • Options
    schizaschiza Member Posts: 31
    I'm having the same issue, but the cause might be different because all electrical power shuts off on mine. It happens every couple of weeks. I dropped it off yesterday to the dealer. This is the 3rd time. They previously replaced a couple items but the stalling continues. They have been good in trying to fix the problem. Subaru is also sending a couple of their own tech's to look at it. They gave us a loaner. This will be their last chance for them to fix it. Mass law state's 3 strikes your out. I will let you know how it turns out. The car barely has 1700 miles. We do love the car otherwise. It doesn't taint my perception of the car and subaru has been good so far about it. I understand these things do happen but that's why they have lemon laws to protect the consumer.
  • Options
    tidester ... that last name came from the first husband and I don't consider it MINE ... I kept it to make it easier since I still had a child at home, but I have seriously been considering changing it back to my maiden name even though I haven't used it in over 30 years ...
    so under those criteria there is NOT a "k" in any of my names ...
  • Options
    IMBA = International Mountain Biking Association. Membership even gets you VIP pricing for Subies, so yeah, definitely.

I dunno, Brenda, a dog-owning teacher who uses a Mac at work seems close enough to me!

Dave is right, I should have added "loves (turbo) whine, grilled turbot, and rally bread" to the list.

schiza: seems like you got a Friday 5pm build. Sorry 'bout that. Hope you get it resolved quickly.

-juice
  • Options
    nygregnygreg Member Posts: 1,936
    I must say that the Subaru drivers near me are probably the safest drivers on the road as a whole, with the exception of a few young WRX owners. They all have their front right panels bashed in (I guess when the turbo kicked in).

Greg
  • Options
    You bring up an excellent point - What are we going to do with you??? You are adversely affecting our upscale balding male profile averages. Now leave us alone!!! ;-)

(Hope you know I am j/k)...

Steve
  • Options
    I didn't SAY I wasn't 'balding' .. LOL
    yeah .. I hope you know I'm joking TOO
  • Options
    Speaking of demographics...has anyone seen the Honda Element? I think it was supposed to appeal to the younger male crowd but so far all the owners I have seen (n=3, 2 that I know) are women in their 50s. I think its a bad idea to selectively market to people between 18-25. I dont think they like people telling them whats cool.
  • Options
    revkarevka Member Posts: 1,750
    Have you had a chance to check out our Honda Element discussion? There's been plenty of discussion on that subject over there.

And let's get back to the subject of the Subaru Legacy/Outback. Thanks! ;-)

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks & Wagons Boards
  • Options
    revkarevka Member Posts: 1,750
    Very sorry to hear about your stalling problems. Also, please feel free to also post (copy/paste) any vehicle problems (and updates) you discuss here in our Subaru Legacy/Outback - Problems & Solutions discussion. Others experiencing the same problem will be more likely to find your messages over there.... Good luck, and please keep us posted on your situation.

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks & Wagons Boards
  • Options
    tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    ...NOT a "k" in any of my names...

I was just curious!

BTW - I've read that when physicists are confronted with pesky data that doesn't follow the rules they do the only respectable thing left to them: change the laws of physics! Do you think Juice is up to devising new Subaru Legacy/Outback participant naming conventions? ;-)

tidester, host
  • Options
    idahodougidahodoug Member Posts: 537
    I've logged 68 miles of road biking and 43 miles of mountain biking this week! Two rides were in the rain, but that's what Goretex was made for. Sunday, we're doing an early AM road ride and then a night mountain bike ride as our first "two-fer" day. Hooowaaaaaa!

I also put the bike rack back on the Legacy Wagon today (required Sube content). I have about 4 Thule systems, and am bummed that none of the feet or clamps I have will attach to the unusual shape of the Legacy rails. So in frustration at the $100 they want for the clamps, I attached it with 4 H.D. stainless steel hose clamps last spring. After an uneventful summer with several thousand miles, I decided to do the same this year. Best $9 rack feet I've ever had (includes a spare under the cargo floor in case anything goes awry). For security, I pass a cable lock through the frames and roof rails, but still don't leave them on the roof anywhere.

Anyhow, wanted to razz you about biking...

IdahoDoug
  • Options
    rumc3rumc3 Member Posts: 31
    I'm male, a little older than 51, live in New England, LOVE to ski (downhill and cross country..gets the blood flowing, which is more and more important when one begins reaching Old Fartdom), married, household income not that much, and becoming increasingly liberal as I age, which, I guess, you're NOT supposed to do. However, I still listen to the Dead, the Byrds and "Astral Weeks," so maybe I'm not all that typical.
  • Options
    hammersleyhammersley Member Posts: 684
    Doug: Amazing to me that the climate here allows you to bike ride, while on the same day I'm snow skiing, and could have played golf if I had chosen to!

True Subaru country...

Cheers!
    Paul
  • Options
    K9LeaderK9Leader Member Posts: 112
    The closest I've gotten to riding a bike recently was last Thursday night when I took my son's bike to a Boy Scout meeting to do a brief bike safety demo. It did give me the opportunity to mount my bike rack to the Outback for the first time.
    I use a hitch-mounted Saris, and was pleased to find that with the adapter to mount the 2-inch rack into the OB's 1-1/4 receiver, the rack sits out far enough that the hatch will open without having to tilt the rack. Yay!

I returned from that meeting with most of another bike. The Scoutmaster brought in a frame with most of its components that his son had abandoned in the basement. It is a Trek 850 - frame, original rigid fork, cranks, front deraileur, pedal arms, brake levers, rear brakes, and totally trashed rear derailleur. I know it is a pretty base level bike, but it might be worth putting back together, as I already have some wheels, pedals, saddles, and would probably only have to buy front brakes and a rear derailleur. Besides, he was just going to throw it all in the dumpster . . . and we can't be having that now, can we?
    --K9Leader
  • Options
    lark6lark6 Member Posts: 2,565
    Name: Dave, Mike, Steve, or at least a "K" in the name

No "K"s in my first, middle or last name.

Pets: yes, usually 2, primarily dogs and cats

None, though inherited my wife's cat and Siamese fighting fish.

Profession: educators, techies

Yeah, I guess I fit here since I've been doing a lot of training and lecturing the last couple of years. If being a former bench chemist makes me a techie, then maybe.

Computer: lots of Macs among us

Nope. PCs at work and home. Last used a Mac in 1990.

Hobbies: hiking, biking, gardening

If gardening = lawn care, yes. Kayaking and antique car restoration and maintenance here.

Type of driver: defensive, curteous in any weather

I could be better. Living where I do contributes a lot to borderline road rage situations. I've taken to listening to classical when I drive and it helps.

Sport: hockey or skiing, WRC (spectator)

When I was more active in sports as an adult, it was baseball/softball. I played football, baseball and tennis in high school. The former two killed the latter and also led to my favoring cars with automatics. I also played lacrosse briefly in college. Maybe kayaking counts? Maybe auto-x too? I do like the WRC and hope to see a live event one day.

Memberships: IMBA, Tread Lightly

Nature Conservancy, Studebaker Drivers Club, a lot of professional associations.

Catalogs received: LL Bean, Eddie Bauer

Bean yes, Bauer no (I thought they went Chapter 11?), too many others to count.

Ed
  • Options
    Way to re-cycle! :-)

lark has a K, and those cars have a small but loyal following also.

-juice
  • Options
    lark6lark6 Member Posts: 2,565
  • Options
    wrxsoon1wrxsoon1 Member Posts: 158
    K9 and Paul (Hammersley),
    I'll have to join you in this cycling/skiing discussion (hope to join the Sube owners club as soon as that new Legacy w/Turbo arrives). This weekend I skiied in the morning at Crystal Mountain and then did an easy ride with my wife in the afternoon around Mercer Island. It was raining at the base of Crystal but a full on blizzard at the top. Then on Sunday raced in a Criterium in Volunteer Park (on Capital Hill in Seattle). Gotta love the N.W.!

-Ian
  • Options
    hammersleyhammersley Member Posts: 684
    Ian: We were skiing @ 49 Degrees North (Chewelah), and it was warm enough to golf on the hill!(pondering modified golf clubs as ski poles?)Would have been a really muddy bike ride - pure slop in the parking lot & access road - Subie was a brown mess! Rain the next day took care of that. Aaahhhh...spring in the NW - if you don't like the weather, wait an hour!

Cheers!
    Paul
  • Options
    reblack_jrreblack_jr Member Posts: 57
    I posted a question a ways back (post 8031 on 4/6)regarding my roof. It is still leaking and will go back in Thursday. Any hot ideas, I am expecting they will leave the roof liner (headliner) out so I can see it when it rains again. This has been a real pain to trace down.
  • Options
    c_hunterc_hunter Member Posts: 4,487
    Is it anywhere near one of the moonroofs? If so, I would suspect a clogged drain line. There's a well around each moonroof that collects water, and a drain line that carries it away (usually empties under the car). If these drain lines get clogged, you end up with a leaky roof. If you can find one end of the drain line, perhaps it can be blown out with compressed air. Anybody know where these are on Subarus?

The only other places it could really leak are the roof rack mounting points.

Craig