Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Subaru Legacy/Outback

Comments

• Options
    idahodougidahodoug Member Posts: 537
    What, exactly, is a "roof carrier"? Box? Rack? Basket? A little more info.

IdahoDoug
  • Options
    raybearraybear Member Posts: 1,795
    The place where I work sells the smaller one (11 cu. ft.) for $349 and the larger (16 cu. ft.) for $379. Hope that helps.
  • Options
    self_mechanicself_mechanic Member Posts: 95
    Check out REI.COM under car rack. Price range from $169.00 to 599.00.
  • Options
    otis123otis123 Member Posts: 439
    Bob,

So the Subaru SUV will be a MY2006 out sometime in 2005, while the new MY2005 Outback/Legacy will be out around this time next year. Got it.

Thanks,

Ralph
  • Options
    otis123otis123 Member Posts: 439
    Rear end of the 2005 Legacy sedan looks like the rear end of a last generation A4?

http://www.subaru.pl/mmedia/legacy_b4/004.jpg [Subaru of Poland]

Ralph
  • Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Yes, but that's a good thing. The new A4 is less attractive than the old one was.

People have compared the profile to the Mazda 6, and the front to an Acura.

The package is definitely "Japan, Inc.", but I still like it a lot. It's very sharp IMO.

-juice
  • Options
    nygregnygreg Member Posts: 1,936
    I like it a lot too. A lot, lot. I've always felt the side view of the Legacy has BMW 3 series resemblances (Did I make up that word?).

Greg
  • Options
    rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    All new Legacy, due next spring here will be MY2005.

I'm guessing the yet-to-be-shown 7-passenger crossover will arrive a year later, and that will be a MY2006.

Bob
  • Options
    grahampetersgrahampeters Member Posts: 1,786
    G'day

The current model Outback is in run-out here in Australia and Subaru is offering free on-road costs (tax, dealer delivery, plates) on the balance of the stock. They are expecting to sell the 05 from September/October.

Given the imminent new model and the even closer arrival of the XT, I am off to the bank this morning to refinance my 99 Outback for an indefinite period. Lease comes up in two weeks and it would seem a waste to not look over the new model. Even if I decide against, there will be some dealer demonstators and such like still around from the 02 stock.

Cheers

Graham
  • Options
    Pics on I-Club too.
  • Options
    SteveSatchSteveSatch Member Posts: 20
    I have a '98 Outback limited with auto trans that I bought in the summer of '97. It has about 65,000 miles on it and runs great. I've had no problems with it and my only complaint is the lack of power. I think I made a mistake getting the auto trans. Oh well. Anyway I want something with more power and I'm sure I'll get a manual trans (I just hope I haven't forgot how to drive one in the last six years!). Should I get a turbo Forester or wait for a more powerful Outback? How much smaller is the current Forester than an older Outback? I'm a bit worried about that. Driving my Outback daily makes me feel like it isn't big and I wouldn't want to go smaller. My kids are 6 and 3, but most of the family trips are in her mini van. This would be a daily driver but would need ample room for kids in back. I fear the leg room isn't enough since I put the driver's seat all the way back. When I bought my Outback the Forester just came out and I got in the rear seat and I was not impressed with the leg room-but that was six years ago and it may be different now. I'm also not sure about cargo room.....But the price is right and it's here now. I've heard the next Outback might have a 3.0 250 HP non turbo engine in a lighter car than the current Outback. Will there be a turbo Outback? Any thoughts on how a non turbo Outback would do performance wise against the turbo Forester? I tend to think a bigger engine Outback would cost at least several thousand more than a turbo Forester. The price of the turbo Forester, the performance one gets for the $, and maybe having just enough room makes it looks real nice. It sounds like the perfect little bit of everything car.
    Satch
  • Options
    oregonmanoregonman Member Posts: 60
    Why wait for a new engine in the Outback? You can get it with the 6 cylinder engine now. Probably about the same price as the turbo Forester. Fitzmall has the 2004 Forester XT for about $25K and the 2003 Outback H6 auto for about $25K too. There is an LL Bean advertised in my local paper for $25K too. There are plenty of reasons to like the Forester, but if you prefer the Outback, but just want more power, you can get it. If you really want the manual transmission, though, you can't get it in the H6 Outback.
  • Options
    SteveSatchSteveSatch Member Posts: 20
    I do want the manual and I've heard that the Outback has increased in weight so much that the H6 auto Outback does not have the power I want. I don't want to buy an underpowered car again.
  • Options
    The XT 5 speed I drove was just under $24k.

I like the H6, don't get me wrong, but the XT is substantially faster at all rpm. No contest. At least with the manual.

The auto is a closer match, but I'd still give the edge to the XT, especially above 3500 rpm.

I think if you're willing to buy a manual this time, an XT won't disappoint. It's lighter and more fun, IMO, than the H6 Outback.

-juice
  • Options
    K9LeaderK9Leader Member Posts: 112
    I have a 2000 OB Ltd (auto trans). I agree it is not very powerful, but I knew that when I bought it, and I bought it for its many other great features. The big power is not really needed for commuting or errand running or kid-hauling, which is what I do most of the time.

But there are times when some driving fun is called for. That's why I keep a 280 HP V8 Lincoln Mark VIII in the garage for sunny weekend days (which we haven't had one of for many, many weeks).

--K9Leader
  • Options
    pathtomaxpathtomax Member Posts: 215
    Hello everyone,

I just wanted to join the group here. I just purchased a 2001 Subaru Outback Limited 4-cylinder wagon with 19,000 miles on it. I leased an Outback years ago and they really have improved! Being in New England, I feel secure again owning a faithful Subaru.

Question: Any insight on the type of gas? I just recently owned a Nissan Maxima and it would only take Super PREMIUM 94 unleaded or else it would knock and ping. The manual lists 87 octane as fine for the 4-cylinder Outback. I do all highway driving of 24,000 miles/yr.

Any insight would be great. Any other comments would be great.

Thanks!
  • Options
    tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Welcome aboard! The folks here are pretty knowledgable - I'm sure they'll be able to help you out!

tidester, host
  • Options
    Welcome to the crew. I have an 01 OB also. I use 89 octane and depending on brand will sometimes get a small amount of pinging on load - nothing to worry about. Moving up to 93 octane eliminates it completely (I use the higher octane when the price is the same as 89). There are people here who use 87 with no problem.

Congrats on the new car. Give more details - color, accessories, etc.

Greg
  • Options
    vpotlurivpotluri Member Posts: 47
    I am ready to buy/lease an Outback wagon in September. Is an updated wagon coming soon? I like everything expcept that navigations system is not an option. That frankly sucks. I had driven a friend's outback wagon a few years ago and loved it.
  • Options
    Regular is fine.
  • Options
    bat1161bat1161 Member Posts: 1,784
    Congrats Michael! As for the gas, 87 Octane should be fine. I know that is what I put into my 00 OB.

Mark
  • Options
    When you have a Subaru getting lost is fun. The new legacys will be out next spring. They are lookers! You might want to wait.

Greg
  • Options
    vpotlurivpotluri Member Posts: 47
    My lease runs out in September and I need to get another car in September. I can't wait till next Spring to get one. I saw a photo of what the new one looks like sometime ago. Not impressed. May be the wrong photo. What is new with the one coming in Sprint next year? Any links to photos of the new one? Thanks.
  • Options
    I have used nothing but 87 octane in my Forester, and it never, ever pings. Nor does our 2002 Legacy L, with the same engine in yours.

The 2005s will start trickling in next year, and many expect a Navi option. Why not get a nice Garmin portable GPS for now? CR reviewed a few and for about a grand, they'd serve every car in your fleet (instead of $2-3000 per car).

-juice
  • Options
    erics6erics6 Member Posts: 684
    This is the 1st photo I've seen of the 05 Outback from The Car Connection. This is what I'm waiting for. Best looking Subaru so far. You won't be able to get it until next year so if you want an Outback in September you'll have to get the current model. If it were me, I'd extend the lease and wait for the O5.
  • Options
    sebberrysebberry Member Posts: 148
    I find that the look of the new Outback, while pretty nice, blends in too mucn with the Legacy. I think they need to make it a little more distinguished, like the current model is from the current Legacy.

Also, I hope they offer some more luxurious appointments from what I have seen from the new Legacy photos. They better offer a wooden steering wheel similar to what is in the current LL Bean, I find it a very nice wheel to grip.
  • Options
    Thanks to everyone who posted information. It is good to see a happy Outback family!

My 2001 Outback Limited is the wine color- with the acrylic shield and rear spoiler. I am bringing it in next week to have installed:
    -Auto Dim rear view (LOTS of highway driving)
    -Security System (trips to Boston)
    -Air filtration (does this actually work?)

I just drove 130 miles in it today and all went well. The pickup is pretty good even with the A/C on.
  • Options
    Me too. Winestone with front deflector, security, CD, AWP. Just gave it a good cleaning yesterday (after the rain). That rear bumper collects a lot of dirt. Anyway, needs a wax soon.

Greg
  • Options
    jlemolejlemole Member Posts: 345
    Can you go through a car wash with the deflector on?

Jon
  • Options
    sebberrysebberry Member Posts: 148
    ...one of those hood deflector people

After my recent road trip, I noticed many small nicks in the paint from dust kicked up by trucks on the highway.

Has anybody tried any products that will make these less noticable? It is definately not the kind of job for touch-up paint.

Pathtomax: I have a feeling that on your car the air conditioner compressor is shut off temporarily under hard accelleration. I know that it does on my LL Bean model. As fot the air filter, I think that the air is cleaner inside the car. I have bad seasonal allergies and I have fewer problems while in the car than in my old car. I also live in a fairly dusty area and have noticed that the inside doesn't get anywhere as near as dusty as my old car did. The only thing it won't filter out is bad odours. I drove over a venting sewer cover and... well, you can guess what that was like.

My advice with the security system, be sure to get an immobilizer system. People pretty much ignore car alarms these days due to all the false alarms. Besides, it will also give you peace of mind when you can't hear the alarm.

Have fun on your trip, I did with mine :)
  • Options
    Outback does looke more like the Legacy, but a lot of people like the toned-down look.

Right now it has two-tone paint that looks like cladding, the new model gets a discrete layer of real cladding over the fenders. Plus it's raised.

IMO, to distinguish more, I feel the Outback should get the H6 standard and exclusively. It's supposed to get 247hp for MY2005.

Then let the Legacy L sell with the base engine, the GT with the turbo, and the STi with the twin turbo H6.

Zero overlap.

-juice
  • Options
    taomantaoman Member Posts: 14
    I've been lurking in the Subaru discussions for a couple of years since we purchased a 2001 Legacy L sedan for my wife. I live in Louisiana
    and we really make use of the all-wheel drive with all of the rain we get. I just purchased a 2003 Outback wagon (automatic transmission) for myself with the all-weather package using Subaru's VIP Partner's program through IMBA. The options I purchased are the automatic-dimming mirror/compass, security system, tweeter kit, upgraded door speakers, trailor hitch, differential protector, air-filtration system, locking lug nuts, and leather shift handle. For anyone considering purchasing a new Subaru, the VIP program is the way to go. I purchased my 2003 Outback with the factory-installed options for $1,000 under invoice, as there was a $1,000 rebate to the dealer. However, I did have to negotiate for the dealer-installed options.

Having driven a manual for the past fifteen years, I am impressed with the smooth shifting of the automatic transmission and quiet nature of the engine. I should say quiet nature during normal driving !!!. My last car was a 2 seat coupe that felt like it was a couple of inches off of the ground. I've been driving the Outback for 3 weeks now and I could kick myself for not purchasing one sooner. Great visibility and driving position and tons of room in the cargo. It is a smooth and refined driving experience and fits my recreational lifestyle. My outdoor hobbies include mountainbiking and rollerblading. Can someone recommend a hitch mounted bike rack that will hold 3 or 4 bikes? What kind of gas mileage can I expect when the engine is broken in?
  • Options
    Congrats Neil.

The engine is still very green. My mileage improved by 2mpg when I compare brand-new to 15k miles later.

The OE hitch-mounted bike rack only holds 2 bikes, though I've rigged a 3rd one on there. I'd get a different one to carry 3-4 bikes regularly.

-juice
  • Options
    bat1161bat1161 Member Posts: 1,784
    Congrats Neil and welcome to the "Outback Family".

BTW, what color did you get?

Mark
  • Options
    Thanks for the welcome Mark.

The color is Seamist Green.

Neil
  • Options
    francophilefrancophile Member Posts: 667
    I have a MY '00 Legacy GT. My mileage improved 1.5 to 2 MPG as the engine became more broken in.

Congratulations on your second Subie! Nice to see folks buying Legacies (your 2001 model) and not just Outbacks; Subaru is pinning a lot on the success of the next iteration of that model.

Cheers,
    -wdb
  • Options
    That was a new color for 2003, replacing the Wintergreen. Wintergreen was more silver, Sea Mist has a touch of gold in it. Both are nice.

-juice
  • Options
    c_hunterc_hunter Member Posts: 4,487
    "Right now it has two-tone paint that looks like cladding, the new model gets a discrete layer of real cladding over the fenders. Plus it's raised."

Current generation Outbacks *do* have lower bodyside cladding (painted).

Craig
  • Options
    Not over the fenders, though. It only goes up to about knee height.

-juice
  • Options
    Our 2001 Legacy L sedan is Wintergreen metallic, and that was my favorite color until I saw the new 2003 Seamist Green color.
  • Options
    Our 2002 is the same color. Same model as yours, too, an L.

-juice
  • Options
    bhuppertbhuppert Member Posts: 9
    I posted a message in Mar. asking for info on how to fix the intermittent failure of the latches on both of our 98 Outback wagon rear hatch doors.
     We are now totally unable to open the rear hatch doors on BOTH of the Outbacks. They are permanently closed! The probability of both failing is astronomical unless this is a common defect inherent in the 98 Outbacks. Does anyone have a solution and if I can't find a do-it-yourself fix, do we take it to a locksmith, body shop or the Subaru dealer? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
  • Options
    cptpltcptplt Member Posts: 1,075
    I have a 98 GT, had this problem a year ago,initially it was intermittent and seemed temperature dependent and woudl be ok the next day then one day it was just stuck solid ! Took it to the dealer, no clue what they did but it hasn't happened again. They didn't charge me either and it took them no time to do whatever they did.
  • Options
    jlemolejlemole Member Posts: 345
    I've had days where the hatch on my Outback has been "sticky" and hard to open. I find this on the sliding doors of my Quest too. It must have something to do with the weatherstrip seals and temperature or humdity. Perhaps keeping the seals well conditioned would prevent the problem.

Jon
  • Options
    andrewkandrewk Member Posts: 59
    We bought a new Sea Mist Green '03 Legacy L SE Wagon about a month ago. My wife absolutely insisted on this color. This created a certain amount of grief for me, having to find that color, in addition to the 5 speed, the right option package, the right price, decent trade, etc. I must say it was worth all the work and effort. We absolutely love the car and color. The color of car is what most people comment on first.
  • Options
    fibber2fibber2 Member Posts: 3,786
    Unfortunately, the choices in 4 bike racks are limited by the small receiver used on class I (1.25 x 1.25") hitches. Plenty of 2 bike units, but most 4 bike rigs are heavy duty and made for 2x2" receivers. Let us know what you find.

Steve
  • Options
    You can fit a hitch with a 2" receiver, but keep in mind the max tongue weight is still 200 lbs. If the bikes are light that's OK.

-juice
  • Options
    amsbearamsbear Member Posts: 147
    I have a 98 also and do experience this from time to time. In my case, I need to push the release lever before pulling it. I think that the springs inside have rusted somewhat and don't return the lever back to its normal position after opening it. When you close the hatch in this state, it then becomes stuck and the lever does not release the lock.

I try to remember to always push the lever towards the car body after closing the hatch so that the next time it will open without the hassle.

Alan
    98 OBW Ltd
  • Options
    Hello again,

After my first week with my new Outback, things are going great. I have noticed that my steering wheel shakes sometimes going about 75 on the highway. It has been really hot in NH this week (around 95 with humidity) and my car is trying to keep up with me and the air conditioner running full time.

With AWD, do you notice increased shakes with high speeds and hot weather??
  • Options
    subearusubearu Member Posts: 3,613
    You've likely got a tire (or tires) out of balance. Have a shop that has Hunter equipment balance them properly and you should be rid of the vibration, provided that the tires themselves aren't at fault (out of round, shifted belt, etc.)

-Brian