Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Subaru Legacy/Outback

Comments

• Options
    K9LeaderK9Leader Member Posts: 112
    I've considered the aftermarket versions, but they all use pressure on the floor and headliner, and I have the moonroof, so I don't want to put any additional pressure there.

I have to have something there, though. While the headrest trick will work for my Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever, who is 11 years old and will stay in the back if he is told to stay in the back (and contented with staying in the back), the one-year-old Brittany, nicknamed "Pinball," would be all over the place.

So, I will try the "inner tube shims" method on the Subaru gate (when I eventually get the right one!)and hope for the best. It sounds as though the setup for the Forester would be preferable.

--K9Leader
  • Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    XC90? Sure, copy the concept, but not the price, please!

At 25k miles per year, who has time to use a warranty? ;-)

Do you ever turn the engine off? My only concern would be it would expire in 4 short years. See if they offer a 5 year/unlimited mile option, but I think 100k is the max.

The H6 is about smooth power delivery, not brute force. Still, Edmunds' model outran the Highlander, and I think the Pilot too. I guess it's so smooth that it doesn't feel as quick as it is.

-juice
  • Options
    bmc824bmc824 Member Posts: 5
    I'm just having a hard time getting past the lack of folding rear seats in the sedan. I cannot believe Subaru decided to omit this versatility-enhancing feature that just about every major competitor offers standard. Perhaps they believed it would cannabilize wagon sales?? I know that if I think I might need hauling capacity on a regular basis I should just get the wagon...but we already have a Mazda MPV. I just like the flexibility of fold down rear seats. Do you sedan owners miss that feature?

Still, it seems like I can get a leftover 2003 sedan with 5 speed for around $19k...which is amazing for the overall feature content of the car.
  • Options
    I have to admit - I think Subaru's wagons are better than their sedans. Just one opinion, but...

The folding seats are just a start. Then look at rear headroom. Wagons feel airier, too, so EPA cubic measurements don't tell the whole story. 4 times the cargo capacity, practically speaking. Roof rack standard. No gooseneck hinges to crush groceries, you get nice struts instead. The door glass is taller so ingress/egress is easier.

Why not get a wagon? Do you not like the dual moonroof setup?

If that's it, wait for a 2005, which gets a single big moonroof.

Wagons, Ho!

-juice
  • Options
    sebberrysebberry Member Posts: 148
    You're right, the H6 is not the fastest animal off the line, but once it gets going it impresses.

I find that after 50Km/hr (30Mph) it really starts taking off, and all hell breaks loose when you hammer the throttle while cruising on the highway. And this is with the 4 speed.

Yes, as Juice stated, it is more about smoothness and refinement, but if you plan on doing people and cargo hauling, go with the H6.

The AWD system really digs in and grabs on in an emergency situation, and greatly enhances traction in the rain, especially on the highway.

More on power: When experimenting with the FWD fuse (It puts the car in front wheel drive mode), there was plenty of power to spin the front wheels on dry pavement.

The AWD system does a bad job of selling itself. Rarely do I notice wheel slip, unless the road is wet and I am on a hill. It never feels that the system is doing anything, I am always expecting to feel slip then it reacting. Now, when you accellerate hard, more torque is sent to the rear wheels, further limiting slip on the front wheels. This feeling of not having excess power to spin wheels comes from an AWD system that reacts very well.

Again, if you haul people and cargo, or have a lot of hills around, the H6 is a nice way to go.

Just my $5 worth...
  • Options
    dcm61dcm61 Member Posts: 1,567
    Just my $5 worth...

Which is the equivalent of 2 cents here in the US. ;-)

DaveM

P.S. The H4 is a hand full in FWD mode; plenty of torque steer and wheel spin.
  • Options
    firstovfirstov Member Posts: 31
    I got rough transmission shifting from 3d to 2d gear while driving in hill area (Vermont) at 60mph.
    Later when engine was cold I checked transmission fluid and found it way high above all marks on the dipstick.
    At this moment the car has 9000 miles.
    Did I get my transmission damaged because of overfill fluid?
    Diler checked the fluid level and returned me the car stating "Fluid is at normal level" After I checked (when engine is hot) the level was OK.
    Either something is wrong either dealer is lying either I do not understand something.
    How tranny suppose to shift under heavy load?
  • Options
    Interesting to hear how noticeable the difference is when you have either engine in FWD mode. Feels like any other generic FWD, I guess.

Stan: was the ground level when you checked? I wonder why readings would be inconsistent like that.

-juice
  • Options
    paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    You shouldn't be driving around much with the FWD fuse in place.

-mike
  • Options
    dcm61dcm61 Member Posts: 1,567
    I was diagnosing my slow speed binding. Only ran in FWD mode for a day or two. Got tired of spinning the wheels all the time.

DaveM
  • Options
    c_hunterc_hunter Member Posts: 4,487
    Going from 3rd to 2nd at 60mph is quite a jump, are you sure it's a reasonable evaluation?

I have noticed that the transmission can shift poorly when on hills (at lower speeds). My LL Bean will mosey 80% up some hills, and then downshift a gear right as I get near the top. Maybe I should be more aggressive on the throttle, I don't know. If I had to do a lot of hill driving, I would probably override the shifter.

As for fluid, park the car on a level surface and check the fluid when cold. I think that's a more reliable measurement. I have seen "hot" measurements be all over the place.

Craig
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
    ffsteveffsteve Member Posts: 243
    The car, not the owners!

There were some posts over the last year or so of Outbacks experiencing a barely audible whining noise in the 60-80mph range. My Bean does this, with the whine appearing when on the throttle, but then going away when the throttle is released a bit. Noisy traffic conditions or the radio is typically enough to mask the noise. But load the car with 4 guests, turn off the radio for conversation, and it is very apparent, especially going up a grade on the freeway.

Anyone else experience this still?

Anyone who did, and had it corrected?

I'm contemplating taking it in for service, but am not really sure it's necessary.

Any opinions or experiences?

Steve
  • Options
    LL-bean didn't see that.

"Thunk" is probably just the tighter AT in the subies. It doesn't allow a lot of torque converter slippage, like american ATs. I experience this on both my subie and Isuzu (GM unit interestingly) Transmissions.

-mike
  • Options
    lovermontlovermont Member Posts: 13
    Howdy folks,
    I have an '03 Outback Wagon (Ltd, 4 cyl, 5 spd), and wonder what range the RPM's should be within when cruising in 5th gear on the highway. Sometimes I feel as if it's running too high for the speed I'm going.
    For instance, I notice that it typically runs about 3,500-3,800 when my speed is pushing 70-75-80 MPH (in 5th gear, of course)....is this too high? Basically, it's around 70ish that the tach pushes above 3,500 RPM. Maybe it's just that I'm used to other cars, but this seems off.

thanks
  • Options
    mjc440mjc440 Member Posts: 76
    There's nothing wrong with your car - my '04 Legacy L sdn 2.5 / 5 spd is exactly the same way. It needs another gear.
  • Options
    I have heard it's "normal" and varies from car to car. Apparently it's a pinion gear in one of the diffs.

I have the same exact noise on my Bean, but it doesn't bother me too much. Just another ringing noise in my head...

Craig
  • Options
    I have one coming from my back seat. It says "Are we there yet" every 5 minutes! LOL

I think only a turbo would fix that...

-juice
  • Options
    fibber2fibber2 Member Posts: 3,786
    Kickdown from 3 to 2 at 60mph would put the tach at about 6k rpm (on an H4 auto). I am sure you would feel a real kick! I wouldn't do this too often if you want to keep that tranny.

Whine - I hear it some mornings also on the Taconic Pky "at speed". Pretending it is not really there.

Rear Seat Whine - got that one also!

Steve
  • Options
    trek2002trek2002 Member Posts: 17
    read message #1371 in Subaru Problems

Good Luck
  • Options
    jfljfl Member Posts: 1,396
    With 225/60 R16 tires, a 2000 Outback 5-spd turns about 3250 rpm at 70 mph. This assumes that Subaru hasn't changed the gear ratios or final drive.

Jim
  • Options
    grahampetersgrahampeters Member Posts: 1,786
    G'day

Gee, the Rear Seat Whine must be a Subaru problem. I have one here in myy Australian Outback as well. The only comfort is tha fact that her brother really enjoys the travel.

We recently resolved the rear seat whine for a time by stopping and telling her to get out of the car. After a moment's contemplaton of the wide open spaces (and distance to nearest town), the whine reduced markedly.

Cheers

Graham
  • Options
    ladywclassladywclass Member Posts: 1,713
    In my experience, the rear seat whine which says "are we there yet" is replaced in later years by the bone-chilling whine "can I drive" which is met by front seat silence pretending "i can't hear you" which eventually melds into rear seat silence when they all grow up and you're driving all alone with the music YOU like on the stereo!
  • Options
    firstovfirstov Member Posts: 31
    LL-Bean/H6 owners, how AT suppose to shift ?
    Mine shifts very rough under load. It got it shifting much smoother after dealer reduced ATF level to normal (it was too high).
    I've heard changing AT fluid to synthetic helps sometimes.
    If anyone has experienced this and got it resolved, please let me know.
    Another q: Was AT for H6 got redesigned to sustain more HP from an engine?
  • Options
    The 4EATs can handle roughly 300hp on the subies in general.

-mike
  • Options
    jlemolejlemole Member Posts: 345
    I have two distinct rear seat whines: one coming from each side! Sometimes there's a distinct grating sound coming from the front passenger side also..., but it seems to happen only when I decide to take backroads :-)

Jon
  • Options
    lfdallfdal Member Posts: 679
    Also read #1372 under Subaru Problems which refers to the Endwrench article.

Larry
  • Options
    robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    Is not only limited to Subes. It happens in Hondas as well. It gets really bad in stop and go traffic and sounds like this: my belly is floppy!!

It is usually fixed by a quick pull out of traffic and a mommy diving into the back with a bag procured from an airplane trip.
  • Options
    I think the fuel pump is directly below the rear seat, that's probably the whine some of you are noticing. The ones that do probably have excellent hearing!

-juice
  • Options
    fibber2fibber2 Member Posts: 3,786
    thought I recognized your handle from the Ody boards!
    Fortunately, my current rear seat whiner is of the cast iron stomach variety. She loves bouncy trips in small prop aircraft. It is mommy that is at risk of losing lunch!

A friend of mine offered a solution. Now you may consider it bribery, but it might still be worth a try. Give a quantity of quarters at the beginning of a long trip. You lose one for each 'are we there yet'.

Steve
  • Options
    She'd be broke! ;-)

-juice
  • Options
    zman3zman3 Member Posts: 857
    This may not be the case in your situation but make sure the engine is running when you check the transmission fluid level. I made the mistake of checking with the engine off and almost croaked when I saw how high the fluid level was. Once I started it, the fluid dropped back down to normal.
  • Options
    cptpltcptplt Member Posts: 1,075
    you want to hear diff whine, sit in the back of any 3 series bimmer!
  • Options
    outback589outback589 Member Posts: 6
    OK guys, jokes over...lets get back to talking about the outback not your whining children
  • Options
    goosegoggoosegog Member Posts: 206
    When cleaning the interior of Erfie yesterday I found a mystery fastener on the left rear floor. I have been unable to find out where this came from. Anyone got any ideas? It seems to be smaller than all the ones I can see in the cabin. The photo at http://community.webshots.com/photo/94552735/95619697VkljFh shows it compared with the ones holding the dash together. Thanks for your help.
  • Options
    ebony5ebony5 Member Posts: 142
    I have a '96 AT Outback Wagon(155 hp). When going 80 mph what should the the tach read? While on a trip a couple of weeks ago cruising comfortably along at 75 mph I uped to 80 and the trach held steady at just south of 3000 rpm. I thought this might be putting a strain on the engine so I backed off to 75. Is 3000 rpm to high to maintain for this engine? If so what is the proper range for highway cruising?
  • Options
    nematodenematode Member Posts: 448
    The 2k OB. Ltd. auto is at 3k when you hit 75mph.

I've held it there for 300 miles at a time on a 1200 mile trip. I think its better to do that than light to light driving.
  • Options
    Is nothing for these cars. I've done 400+ miles at a shot with the SVX @ 3000rpms (about 90+mph) :) No problems or issues, it locks up the tranny in 4th gear anyway.

-mike
  • Options
    Any chance it has always been there? I often find extra fasteners in new cars, usually in the spare tire area. Seems worse on American cars....I once found 4 different extra fasteners on a Dodge!

Craig
  • Options
    jfljfl Member Posts: 1,396
    FWIW a 2000 OB 5 spd turns a calculated 3250 rpm at 70 mph. It's due to gearing, final drive, and tires.

If your '96 OB auto has the same gearing as a 2000 auto, you'd be turning close to 3250 at 80 mph.

Jim
  • Options
    sebberrysebberry Member Posts: 148
    Nice BC plate! Thought I'd be the only one for many miles obsessing about my Outback on the internet!

Anyway, no idea about the "spare" part... maybe you could sell it to the dealer at an outrageous price...

I dunno

Ciao
  • Options
    Erfie's bigger fastener had a baby? ;-)

4000rpm is nothing. I'll let you take a drive in my Miata, that thing revs seriously high to do any significant speeds.

Watch the temp gauge if you want to, but it's fine.

-juice
  • Options
    ffsteveffsteve Member Posts: 243
    Thanks for your responses on my whining Outback. Even the OT ones were appreciated, made me appreciate not having any kids in the back seat :)

I decided to just take it to the dealer, let their service department have a look at it.

Steve
  • Options
    ebony5ebony5 Member Posts: 142
    Thanks for the feedback concerning rpm's,it certainly will make me feel more comfortaable the next time I take a trip and I will periodically check the temp.
  • Options
    toboggantoboggan Member Posts: 283
    My '98 OBW Ltd. 5 speed turns about 3700 rpm at 78 MPH (supposedly the highway patrol won't stop you unless you're going at least 10 MPH over the speed limit). When the OB was in the shop several years ago I had an OB with an automatic for a loaner. About 3200 rpms was around 75 MPH - as I remember (1st thing to go is the mind....).

MNSteve - 78 degrees today, 55-60 tomorrow
  • Options
    jlemolejlemole Member Posts: 345
    Yeah, Subies seem to rev on the high side, and I'm not at all concerned about turning over 3000 revs at normal highway speeds.

My brother has a Honda S2000. Talk about screaming rpm's! That thing redlines at like 9500 and sounds like an F1 when you give it a good run through the gears.

Jon
  • Options
    ptrekkerptrekker Member Posts: 51
    It's called a roof. Works well on noisy children too.
  • Options
    lasubeguylasubeguy Member Posts: 18
    Just got an '03 L/SE and mostly love it. Great laundry list of options, styling is cool, nice wheels, etc. It is a great car for the money--handles beautifully rain or shine. Last had an Audi A6 Quattro and only miss a few things that Subaru could provide at nominal cost but gain big points for comfort/convenience. Those would be:

Trunk net (to anchor cargo)in L/SE Sedan
    Remote trunk opener
    One-touch PW switches on all windows
    Lumbar support adjustment in both front seats
    One-touch sunroof switch (no stopping 1/2 way please!)
    Down-tilting right side mirror (GREAT for parallel parking)

These are not expensive additions and would make the car so much more user-friendly. It is the little things that count.
  • Options
    jlittererjlitterer Member Posts: 39
    What is the length of the finance terms for Subaru's 0.0% financing? (24,48,60 months etc.)