Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Subaru Legacy/Outback

Comments

• Options
    bostonoriolebostonoriole Member Posts: 53
    I have heard that there is a good low price Subaru dealer in Maryland. I have heard talk of prices below invoice. Can anyone tell me who it would be and what what they have heard about them?
  • Options
    rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    This dealer is often recommended on Edmunds. They list all their vehicles in stock (vin #, options, MSRP, and two Internet prices from which to choose from). We bought both our Subarus there. It's a no hassle experience. The Subaru dealer is located in the Rockville/White Flint area.

Once you find the vehicle online, do a print out and cross-shop it with other dealers if you wish.

Bob

http://www.fitzgeraldautomall.com/
  • Options
    ctnativectnative Member Posts: 4
    I can't believe the price differences between Fitzgerald's Auto Mall and the my local dealer. How willing are dealers to match/beat Fitzgerald's prices? If they are not, have any of you had Fitzgerald's deliver directly to your homes?

Thanks.
  • Options
    rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    Fitzgeralds ships all over the country. I know they were trying to swing a deal with a fellow from Alaska.

Bob
  • Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Pat: I've had two aftermarket ASC roofs put in, and neither one ever squeeked or leaked.

On the Forester, they added a reinforcement beam. Indeed, they had removed the one from B-pillar to B-pilalr, but still no squeeks almost two years later.

-juice
  • Options
    hondafriekhondafriek Member Posts: 2,984
    When we first decided on the Subaru our first order of preference was a factory sun roof everything else was factored in around that, we do not have the same selection of sunroofs that you do in the states there are installers there who can practically dublicate the factory roof, our choices are limited to either a pop up style or a power slider which opens above the roof, like I said both of mine was less than satisfactory so never again.
    Cheers Pat. ps they never leaked we just had squeaks that were not there before.
  • Options
    subearusubearu Member Posts: 3,613
    Aren't the roofs like ASC waranteed against leaks and squeaks (at least here in the U.S.)? I'm almost positive about the leak part, but thought there was something about squeaks too. I'll have to poke around at the ASC site to see.

-Brian
  • Options
    the_gladiatorthe_gladiator Member Posts: 58
    Hey,
    Have any of you crossed the border to buy in Canada?
  • Options
    mikezakmikezak Member Posts: 95
    This past week I took the plunge and bought the Outback Wagon (Wintergreen) with All-Weather Package, Premium Sound Package, Air Filtration, and Security Package w/Auto Dimming Mirror. Got a great deal (@ invoice) from a Milwaukee area dealer via Autobytel.

I have two questions for the group:

1). It was mentioned to me that so as to not void the warrenty to only use Subaru Perculator Oil Filters -- is that your understanding as well? I can not expect my neighborhood lube garage to have the Subaru brand, and I am a little embarrassed to bring in my own filter.

2). I know that a majority of Subaru owners say that the extended warrenty is a waste of money. Yet I always have brought one, as I can then 'budget' for the warrenty, but not for A/C going out for example. Should I only consider the Subaru warranty or should I consider a RELIABLE firm such as 1 Source or Warranty Direct or Warranty Gold?

If you like to correspond directly rather than post, my email address is listed in my profile.

My thanks -- as always in advance.
  • Options
    hammersleyhammersley Member Posts: 684
    ctnative: The sales tax/purchase location question comes up frequently here (Spokane), due to the proximity of an abundance of dealers in Post Falls & Coeur d'Alene, Idaho (20-30 miles east) We pay the sales tax to the state that the vehicle is registered in. Washington tags are $30/year, but sales tax is 8.1%. Your state's procedure may vary, but I'll bet it's similar.

mikezak: Just use quality oil & top-notch filters, as the difference between them & inferior products ain't worth the risk, IMHO. The more important thing would be to document the frequency of your self-service for warranty purposes. Dated receipts with your notation of mileage would probably suffice.

Whenever I've purchased an extended warranty, I've never had to invoke it. I have one on my motorhome now because of the variety & complexity of systems on it, but don't have one on my car. If I were in the market, I'd go with one of the Subaru packages, and attempt to negotiate the price, as well as perhaps rolling it into the loan. A few extra dollars per month over the life of the typical car loan. I probably will buy the extended warranty on my next vehicle, simply because repair/replacement costs for major components continue to rise.

Cheers!
    Paul
  • Options
    debbie35debbie35 Member Posts: 3
    When I purchased my 92 Subaru Turbo I got the extended warranty because of concern over Turbo problems. It covered the car to 100,000 miles. Well, I never had any problems with the turbo, but at 97,500 miles I tried backing into my driveway and couldn't. Long story short, the transmission was shot and so were the two axles. I hadn't had any real problems with the car until then. The warranty covered the total $5,600 repair bill (minus a small deductible) without any problems. By the way, I loved that car.
  • Options
    nygregnygreg Member Posts: 1,936
    Congratulations on your new Subie! I too hope to own an OB soon with similar options (in Winestone). I also have the same questions as you. I guess you can argue what is a high quality oil filter (off topic?). Fram use to be the one to have. No more from what I can see. For me OEM or the manufacturer that supplies the OEM part is the safe bet.

-Greg
  • Options
    subearusubearu Member Posts: 3,613
    Congrats! Welcome!

I've only had 2 oil changes on our Outback which now has just over 7,200 miles. Both times, I've taken it to the dealer. I intend on getting all future oil changes and service at the dealer.

I also got the extended Subaru warranty. I only got the 4 year one - I think it only cost a couple hundred dollars. Our local Subaru rep (Patti) states that they'll be more lenient on out of warranty work if you had the Subaru warranty.

My dealers charges $5 for the Subaru oil filter and gasket. If I were changing my own oil, I'd be buying the Subaru filters until I heard something bad about them.

The 2 closest Subaru dealers to me are about 30 minutes away from me (Libertyville, IL and Racine, WI). If not on a Saturday, I typically try to schedule my service appointments (even for my previous vehicles) on a day that I have off or time available.

Would you be able to work your business schedule around your Outback's oil changes or other service? It may not always be the most convenient, but at least you'd know the work would be done right. Whenever you travel around central WI, maybe just lookup a Subaru delear near where you'll be and get the work done there. Just a thought.

-Brian
    (Sorry Mike, I'm a Chicago Bear fan.)
  • Options
    Hi Gang!

As you can see once again, I am anxiously awaiting my FIRST Subaru,(acutally my first non-BIG 3 Car) and am trying to learn everything I can.

Reading through the Subaru Web Site, I unfortunately just found out the the cigarette lighter can not be used to power my cell phone on my 2001 Outback (I pickup the vehicle this week). A bummer as I travel for business alot, but I know this must be a common issue and someone must have bridged this before me...

I have a US Celluar contract and Audiovox Car Phone. What solutions have been used, as well as where have people gotten their solution?

My thanks in advance...

Mike Zak
    Plover, WI
  • Options
    phowell1phowell1 Member Posts: 35
    I used my cell phone all the time in my lighter in my 2001 OB with no problem and my son uses his in his 2000 OB we leave them plugged in 24/7 only problem is when the key is off the lighter plug is off so they want charge while the vehicle is off
  • Options
    originalbitmanoriginalbitman Member Posts: 920
    Mike -

A little tip for a new memeber... I bet most us regulars read all of the Subaru Crew topics so you probably don't need to post the same stuff everywhere.

bit
  • Options
    on the multiple posts. I'll tell you one thing, it'll sure save me alot of time :-)

With me being a rookie of sorts, I figure this thing out (hopefully!), and find out what goes where, etc...

Thanks again.
  • Options
    bostonoriolebostonoriole Member Posts: 53
    I heard that 2002 Subarus are coming out next month. Why so early? Will the new Legacies be drastically different?

Is it worth it to buy a 2001 at a deep discount or wait for a 2002?
  • Options
    oregonmanoregonman Member Posts: 60
    When the oil is changed, a new washer for the drain plug should be used. The lube places may not have the correct washer. I was at the Subaru dealer when a women was purchasing a drain plug gasket because the lube place she went to just reused the old washer and the oil was leaking out. So if you do use a lube shop, get a few drain plug washers from the dealer's parts department and give one to the lube shop to use each time they change your oil. Personally, I use the dealer for all my service, so that if I ever have a warranty problem, there is no question that the car has been serviced correctly. And since I know the dealer didn't make much profit selling me the car, I don't mind letting them make their profit on the service.
  • Options
    barresa62barresa62 Member Posts: 1,379
    Stuart: I believe the only 2002's that are coming out currently are from the Impreza line-up. This is a new body style led by the WRX leaving the gates first (no pun intended). Someone correct me if I'm wrong about this.

Stephen
    (picking up the WRX wagon any hour now!)
  • Options
    cwbarrettcwbarrett Member Posts: 40
    Its been 5,000 miles on the LLBean. I got it Nov 17,2000. Hers the GU.
    Good:
    The wife loves it. She's so happy to be out of the Ford Explode. The 6 gives good pickup when you need it. So far the kids (7&12) have not been able to destroy anything. I thought the cheesy back seat arm rest was a goner but so far I'm wrong. The overall quality of this car is excellent.
    Bad:
    Brakes still squeal. Looks like I'll have to live with it. The dealer said all's fine when I brought it in for 3,500 service. The squeal showed up again shortly after. I also had this problem with my Nissan until I changed pads. The steering still floats. You really don't get used to it. The brakes overall are spongy. Its the way these cars are built. They stop the car fine but I still don't like the feel.
    Ugly:
    Don't drop your AAA. The roadside assistance is worthless. My wife locked the keys in the car and they said they'd be there in about 5 hours. I got home first. Last week while I was out of town she got a flat and when she called the assistance number she was given a recording that said due to the inclement weather they were too busy... try again later. AAA was there in an hour.
    I guess no car is perfect. Overall if I had the chance to look at this again I'd look a little closer at the Rav4 or CR and push the Subie dealer carder on the price.
  • Options
    francophilefrancophile Member Posts: 667
    That's really, really interesting news about the roadside assistance. Thanks. I haven't needed them; now if I ever do I'll know that I'll probably have time for a movie and a hot bath before they show up!

The steering on my Legacy sedan is very precise. The power assist makes it feel light, which is fairly common among among Japanese cars. But there is no dead spot on center, no "floating", and when I turn the wheel the car goes. If your car does not steer like this I strongly recommend that you have the dealer check and adjust the alignment, front and rear. My car's alignment was off when I received it new; I had to constantly watch it, and in any kind of windy condition the car was a real handful. Adjusting the alignment made a huge difference.

Regards,
    -wdb
  • Options
    yellowbikedonyellowbikedon Member Posts: 228
    Chris,

My LL Beaner has just under 3000 miles and I don't have the steering float you mention. Before you do an alignment, check your tire pressure. This is a critical thing.

As for brake squeal, this happens only during the first mile or so which makes me think the damp Midwest climate plays a role. I've owned an SVX and a '96 Outback previously and have not experienced prolonged brake squeal. Perhaps the dealer should clean the pads.

Last month I locked the car with the keys inside. I did call the roadside assistance gang, gave them my key number, and within 20 minutes, a duplicte was brought to me. Perhaps your negative experience is local.

I don't want to sound as if I am trying to rebut each and every negative you've mentioned but, merely letting you know of my experiences.

Oh, I do have things I'd like to see remedied such as the passenger sun visor which can block the rear view mirror and the lack of duel controls for air/heat and lack of duel seat memory. Other than that, at this stage, I'm delighted with the LL Bean!

Please keep posting your comments for I know all owners want to learn of the good and the bad.

Don Braverman
  • Options
    francophilefrancophile Member Posts: 667
    Last word, I promise ;-) Alignment is free during the "adjustment period", so it really is worth it to have it checked right away. Tire pressure is very important too, of course!

Cheers,
    -wdb
  • Options
    soon2bsubeesoon2bsubee Member Posts: 137
    When is your move to Boynton...let me know...we can get together..Serge
  • Options
    rangerron7rangerron7 Member Posts: 317
    I'll echo what the rest say about tire pressure being critical. I have a 2000 OB (4cyl) and when I inflate to 33F/32R psi, it runs as if on rails. If the pressure drops to 29 (which BTW is the Sube recommended pressure) I feel it "waddles" down the road.
    Ron
  • Options
    Serge,

Move date is the end of April. I'll be in Boynton Beach by the 30th! Two more Subarus on the East coast!

Don
  • Options
    I'd be surprised to see the 2002 Legacy before August at least.

The 2002 Impreza came out early, but that was a new model. The 2001 Forester was the same way. Other than that, model year change overs have always happened around the beginning of fall.

Brake pads have some metallic content, and when they sit some surfact rust will develop. That should pretty much vanish after the first time you use the brakes each morning. If it persists throughout your drive, I'd be concerned.

That said, my dad's Outback squeeks, but my Forester never does.

-juice
  • Options
    jdlanganjdlangan Member Posts: 48
    Thank God the OB's are built like tanks - this past Friday with my kids in the car I was rear ended in a chain reaction collision on I87. I have about $3400 damage to the back end, all body, I only have about 6700 miles on the car so needless to say I'm not happy. But, the other two cars involved were towed away, we drove...... the first car was a late 80's mid size Buick, the second who she hit and who hit me was an 89 VW sedan. I was still moving at around 20 mph, there was another accident up ahead, the lady who caused it was pretty much still at highway speed (limit is 65 in that stretch). All I can say is that with all three of us coming away unhurt I'm very grateful that I took the advice of all of you and bought the OB! Thank you!
  • Options
    Glad you were not injured. That's what counts.

-juice
  • Options
    dannykadannyka Member Posts: 115
    Sorry to hear about your OB, but I'm just glad to know that you and your kids are okay.

-Dan
  • Options
    now I just have to get used to the idea of driving a Grand Am or Allero or something like that for a week :(

Jeannette
  • Options
    Do you really think you can become "used" to a Trans Am or an Alero? Glad all is well and thanks for reminding us OB owners of another reason why we bought the wagon!

Don
  • Options
    Ask for something less mainstream. Some rental places have Outbacks, even.

-juice
  • Options
    orthobillorthobill Member Posts: 3
    Hi all!! I'm new and was hoping some of you could help me. I'm on the verge of buying a 2001 Outback (Limited probably) and I'm not sure what the going price is (relative to invoice) for them these days. I've been told everything from $1000 over invoice by online sites to $100 - $400 over invoice at some dealers. I live in Kansas City in case that matters. Should I be getting better deals since the 2000 is getting closer to release? I also heard that Subaru is adding a second bank to do their financing so that could spur some rate reductions - in case it interests anyone else looking
  • Options
    Welcome, Bill. Yes, pricing is very regional, but I'm not sure about KC. You should be able to get close to invoice. Try a pricing service (from a credit union or Costco) to get a reference point, or browse the web sites of local dealers. Some give no-haggle on-line pricing.

My dad got his 2001 OB Ltd for just invoice exactly, but that was in the DC suburbs where there are lots of Subaru dealers competing for your dollars.

Jeannette: Focus ain't bad for a rental car. That's what I would have asked for.

-juice
  • Options
    mrglickmrglick Member Posts: 19
    Hi all,
    I caught the tail-end of a news report regarding subaru recall. Anybody here anything?

-lick
  • Options
    Bill -

I am picking up my OBW tomorrow which I got AT invoice via Autobytel. Dealer was in the Milwaukee area. Being you are in a metro area you should be able to get an OB at invoice or very near to it.

When I decided to start looking, people told me the same, and yes, I was skeptical too! But not anymore....I even got within $100 of what the wholesale tradein value is for my '94 Voyager.

Best of luck.
  • Options
    red927red927 Member Posts: 118
    I also have a 2001 Outback with 3700 miles that was involved in a chain reaction accident. I was sitting at a traffic light when someone plowed into the Toyota Corolla behind me. The Toyota was pushed into my rear bumper. There was $1800 worth of damage to my car. The bumper had to be replaced along with some work on the supporting structures and exhaust pipe. No damage to the rear hatch, sheet metal or anything. The body shop remarked that the spaces around the rear doors were still even all the way around. The other cars had to be towed and the Toyota was severely damaged both front and rear and will probably be totaled. The Outback held up much better than I imagined.
  • Options
    I need the bumper, hatch and passenger side rear panel replaced, along with all the lights on the passenger side and the red "Subaru" logo panel above the rear latch handle. I have the lift gate bar too, that did a number on the front end of the VW that hit me :) Somehow she seemed to go up over my bumper, I haven't figured out how since I'm definitely higher. After I was hit I was literally afraid to get out and look, but very surprised when I finally did. I know I'll always feel very safe in the OB now, I couldn't believe how solid it felt even on impact. Please tell me yours isn't Wintergreen too!

Jeannette
  • Options
    Glick: call the 800# with your VIN to see if yours is included. They are sending letters in phases so it could be a while.

Mike - where'd you go? Out driving? Come back!

Hey folks, join our chat tonight (9pm eastern, 6pm pacific). I'd especially like to hear impressions from the new owners. There is a link at the top of this page.

-juice
  • Options
    ferraro1ferraro1 Member Posts: 44
    Hello ~
    I am new to the forum, but i need some help in choosing a Legacy Wagon 1998 or 1999 are their certain models to avoid? are their common problems i need to keep my eyes open for ? I think I want an Outback (Wagon)but I do like the Wagons that have the power Antannas what Model are those and I dunno I just need any Helpful advice in choosing a good Legacy thanks everyone .
    Paul
  • Options
    hondafriekhondafriek Member Posts: 2,984
    The model with the power antenna is the limited, it also has the leather interior, upgraded stereo along with a lot of other add ons, as a new Subaru owner I feel you cannot go wrong in just about any year, however I would advise that any potential purchase you have it checked out by a competent mechanic.
    Cheers Pat.
  • Options
    drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    is on now! (6-7pm Pacific/9-10 pm Eastern). Hope to see you there!

http://www.edmunds.com/chat/subaruchat.html
  • Options
    red927red927 Member Posts: 118
    No, mine is Winestone. I was thinking of getting the Wintergreen, but since my kids also liked the Wintergreen, I went the other way.
  • Options
    Paul: those are still under warranty, at least the powertrain is for 5 years/60k miles.

My cousin has a '99 base Outback, and is very happy with it. He beats the crap out of it, and actually crams 3 kids in the back (no kidding). It's been bullet proof reliable.

He just wishes he had more room, but his wife isn't willing to give up the fun 5 speed for an automatic minivan.

-juice
  • Options
    hammersleyhammersley Member Posts: 684
    Hey! another Paul!
    Long way to go to catch up to Daves & Mikes... but it's a start!

Cheers!
    Paul
  • Options
    I got my car back today, looks great. After driving the Focus for a few days I appreciate the OB even more. Fortunately, they found no structural damage, so they just replaced the hatch and bumper and popped out the dent under the tail light. Now to fill out all the paperwork for insurance :(
  • Options
    That is good news. No frame damage, then.

Glad you're back on the road, and happy.

-juice