Options

Subaru Legacy/Outback

Comments

• Options
    subaru_teamsubaru_team Member Posts: 1,676
    I'll ask around about this today. Another one of those "unusual" things for me. I haven't heard of this before so I can't answer you.

I'll post this evening.

Thanks

Patti
  • Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Andrew: I would get some black paint and an artist's paint brush. Maybe even a tooth pick for something that fine.

-juice
  • Options
    aps5aps5 Member Posts: 43
    My wife is an illustrator, and I already tried every kind of black pain with the worlds smallest brush, and perm. marker. The paint just won't stick to the plastic. And it is a really bright light now, at night.

Andy
  • Options
    Hmm, tough one. It's too small an area to sand it down. Will a primer stick?

-juice
  • Options
    aps5aps5 Member Posts: 43
    My wife is an illustrator, and I already tried every kind of black pain with the worlds smallest brush, and perm. marker. The paint just won't stick to the plastic. And it is really quite noticeable now, with the A and U merged, at night.

Andy
  • Options
    mrk610mrk610 Member Posts: 378
    Well my 2002 outback has the dreaded piston slap . Thats what the service rep told me today after we went for a test drive . He showed me the up to date service bulletin. He gave me the choice of having a new short block put in or I can wait to see if it gets any worse . He said it is not as common in the phase 2 engines but due the the design of the pistons it can still occur . I'm going to stay with the original engine ,because I feel I'm just opening a can of worms with a new engine rebuild . Plus he said it may not stop with the new short block . I got it documented by the rep and with the 60k warranty I'm not worried . If anybody lives in the Southern New Jersey area I highly recommend Burke Brothers in Cape May Courthouse for service .Patti I was just wondering if there have been other my02 outbacks with the same problem . I feel confident that Subaru will stand by there word for as long as I own this car which I plan to keep for 10 years .
  • Options
    llbean30llbean30 Member Posts: 15
    Tshin, the gate bar is very easy to install, should take a slowpoke less than an hour. no special tools are needed.Just a drill , some masking tape, small wrenches,small pry bar,small amount of touchup paint,or silicone sealer,(I used both).You can download complete factory instructions at www.subaruparts.com. They also sell the equiptment, but my expearience has been that Liberty has been less expensive and excellant service, and low shipping costs. The bar comes in matte black only.
    TIRES--The firestone dealer has agreed to replace two of the bad tires. With 7000 miles on the 4 of them I am a little concerned about the possible circumference difference, Subaru tells me they have to be within 1/4 inch measured around the circumference.I hope I get an honest measure from the tire dealer (ha ha).
    LUCK TO ALL--JACK
  • Options
    c_hunterc_hunter Member Posts: 4,487
    Have them put a new HVAC unit in if they can't just replace the button. It's a fairly easy swap, and I would not worry about rattles too much. Sounds like the button graphics did not get painted/screened on right to begin with.

Craig
  • Options
    jkinazjkinaz Member Posts: 5
    I can't find the test mode connector (said to be under the driver's side dash)to enter the "U-check Mode" for check-engine light diagnosis. Any tips? Thanks!
    Walt
  • Options
    senturisenturi Member Posts: 27
    My wife bought a new '02 Subaru Outback. However, the VIN # registers as a LEGACY/OUTBACK. The name plate on the Subaru only says OUTBACK. No where on the vehicle does it say LEGACY. What is the difference between a Legacy/Outback and OUTBACK??

Thanks
  • Options
    goosegoggoosegog Member Posts: 206
    The bar is black and appears to be a teflony sort of finish to which dirt does not stick well. Perhaps paint won't either. The foam gasket (which shows where the bar meets the sheet metal) is also black.

Try a permanent black marker on the button; it may penetrate the plastic a bit. This worked well on my red camcorder "on the air" light which flashed a warning to all and sundry that I was filming them.
  • Options
    They probably only kept the Legacy label for certification purposes. A Legacy Outback is an Outback. Legacy models come in L, GT, and GT Limited.

-juice
  • Options
    subearusubearu Member Posts: 3,613
    The Outback use to be an option package for the Legacy wagon. But, in '00, they made the Outback it's own model.

My guess is that they haven't updated their VIN database with the difference. My insurance company lists our '00 Outback as a Legacy/Outback also. Even Subaru American Credit does too!

-Brian
  • Options
    paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    It is still a trim level of a legacy. What makes it any different than an "off-road package" on an SUV or pickup? Heck the Denali/Yukons have more differences than say a legacy/outback!

-mike
  • Options
    They are more different in character than you would think. Drive a Legacy GT and an Outback back to back.

Hey, I said "back" three times in a row. ;-)

-juice
  • Options
    But they are nearly identical, except for cladding, tires, paint, and *some* suspension components. Drive a Jeep Cherokee classic v. Upcountry package and they will have different characters too :)

-mike
  • Options
    I guess it doesn't bother me when they're sharing a good basic architecture and powertrain.

They may not be a different line of cars, just different models with distinct character.

But who cares what we think? Outback is a huge sales success, it saved Subaru, plain and simple. And people do at least view it as a separate model (or at least the Legacy is invisible). The profits from the Outback allow them to bring the H6, the WRX, and anything else they have to offer.

-juice
  • Options
    Tru Tru Juice. Mmmm H6s :)

-mike
  • Options
    canoeistcanoeist Member Posts: 12
    Thanks for all of the input on the dust deflector. Looks like some of you feel the deflector works best, and others recommend the spoiler. I can see how the deflector might "deflect" the air down over the rear glass, and help keep the glass clean. I can't imagine how the spoiler, although I agree that it looks better, could help with this. I guess I'll give the deflector a shot, that back glass is dirty in a day the way it is now.
  • Options
    mikenkmikenk Member Posts: 281
    I have the spoiler on mine and have had no problem with a dirty back windshield. I believe that the dirt comes from the pressure back flow behind the car from all the crud flying by; I assume the spoiler disrupts that pressure differential. Besides, the spoiler looks cool.

Mike
  • Options
    bat1161bat1161 Member Posts: 1,784
    I have the rear deflector and would say it helps some with keeping the back window clear, but not 100%. It does add a sporty look to the car as well :-)

Mark
  • Options
    oregonboyoregonboy Member Posts: 1,650
    I believe that the leading edge of the spoiler has "slot" and a curved underside that approximates the profile of a deflector, at least on its leading edge. It trades off some efficiency for appearance.

-james
  • Options
    wolfgang125wolfgang125 Member Posts: 2
    Excuse me for changing the topic, but...

Could anyone tell me how much I should sell my Outback for in northern NJ ?

(Auto, cloth, original owner, no sunroof or accidents and excellent condition)

The new Outbacks are sooo expensive that it is difficult for me to establish the value of mine. For this particular vehicle, Edmunds TMV seems to come in too low compared to real world prices and the KBB value seems way high. What's the best way to find a suitable buyer?

It's my wife's car and it will break my heart to sell, but we may need a (yuk) minivan.

BTW - I think my outback handles almost as well as many german cars, especially in bad weather - what do you think ?
    Also, does Subaru have any plans for something with third row seating?

Wolfgang
  • Options
    rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    I would check with this site as to what you car's worth.

Bob
  • Options
    I think KBB is usually high. You may find Edmunds prices closer to actual market value.

Subaru will have a 3rd row seat in the 2005 SUW, a model bigger than the Outback. Unfortunately, that's too far off for many of us.

-juice
  • Options
    tshin99tshin99 Member Posts: 15
    I've got on my 02 LL Bean. How easy is it to remove and re-attach?

Thanks,
    Tom
  • Options
    goosegoggoosegog Member Posts: 206
    You are right on, oregonboy. The wing only connects with the body at the ends; there's a big aerodynamic-looking slot which directs air down past the rear window.
  • Options
    fibber2fibber2 Member Posts: 3,786
    The hood deflector is held on by the two wrap-under plastic tabs, held to the hood by two screws. Easy enough to take off....

Steve
  • Options
    wolfgang125wolfgang125 Member Posts: 2
    Bob & juice, thanks for your input. I have personally sold a older toyota corrolla for 2.5 times the Edmunds TMV price, and there was no shortage of potential buyers. So in that case KBB was closer to the "TRUE" market value of the car compared with Edmunds TMV.

Third row seat in 2005 eh ? Your right I can't wait. Decided that we can't deal with the minivan option either, so we will have to go with an SUV.

Take care of your Outbacks, because from what I've seen on the Subaru lots, they hold their value extremely well.

BTW- what do you think of those firestone tires, mine came with michelins which handle great.
  • Options
    subearusubearu Member Posts: 3,613
    I can install/uninstall our hood deflector in just a couple of minutes. Since it's that easy, I usually take it off the hood during washes, although it easy enough to slide a washrag or soft towel between the hood & the deflector to clean.

So, yes, it can be done.

-Brian
  • Options
    I haven't pushed my dad's car hard enough to be able to evaluate the tires. He hasn't had any complaints. My cousin has the Michelins, and likes them.

-juice
  • Options
    kazanskykazansky Member Posts: 9
    Hi,
    dealer told me I need to replace air Mass flow sensor on my '99 Legacy 2.2 with 100K and asked arm and a leg for the part. What's the best place to get the part? Any links/phone numbers will be appreciated.
  • Options
    laureng1laureng1 Member Posts: 3
    Hi all. I have a 2002 Outback Wagon in White Birch with 14K miles. Love it!! I am considering having the rear windows (passenger area) and cargo windows tinted at a professional glass shop. Should I or shouldn't I? I have been told that tinted windows would look really good since the car is white. I think it would make it a little more sportier. At the moment, I don't have any children but plan to hopefully have one in the near future and I dread having to hang one of those stupid Winnie or Mickey Mouse baby sunscreens on my car window where a baby would sit. So the tinting sounds even more appealing because it would shade the interior. Has anybody else tinted aftermarket?
  • Options
    armac13armac13 Member Posts: 1,129
    I had the back 5 windows tinted in my Forester. I believe that it helps considerably in keeping the interiour cool. For me, looks are not an issue - purely your personal choice. I found it worth the money.

Ross
  • Options
    ffsteveffsteve Member Posts: 243
    Lauren, I just posted pics of my white Outback with the back five windows tinted. See the Pictures forum/thread under Subaru Crew. The effect is very striking, and I am pleased with it.

As for tinting in general - go for it! I have had it on my last 4 cars and swear by it. Cars are cooler (temperature), you have the benefits of privacy, and the uphostery doesn't fade or crack from the sun. Oh yes, they look "cool" too!

Go for the metalized materials, don't worry about radio reception, don't worry about rolling the windows up and down, but do try to get some recommendations for the shop. I have mostly been fortunate in my choices, but I know that the quality varies out there!

Steve
  • Options
    gam2gam2 Member Posts: 316
    It is with regrets that I must leave this site as a Subie owner. My wife could not drive my 2000 Outback (stick) and after 30,000 miles I never did get comfortable in the seat (a problem others have had). Reliability was another factor although I had a VERY early production model.

I will say this though, this site has some of the most dedicated loonies on it (I mean that in a good way). It was always lots of fun to read the latest happenings. I am sure I will continue to drop in to read the Zany adventures of Subie owners!

GAM2
  • Options
    rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    Sorry to see you go. Good luck in whatever you buy. You can still visit here... ;)

Bob
  • Options
    ffsteveffsteve Member Posts: 243
    Sorry to hear it didn't work out. With 30k miles, you can't say you didn't try. Good luck.
    Steve
  • Options
    fibber2fibber2 Member Posts: 3,786
    Greg,

The other Steve here wishes you well. What are you trading for?

Steve
  • Options
    I see you've been in the TrailBlazer topics, did that 270hp engine sway you? I hope your reliability is good.

Tint: I installed SolarGard, 35% tint, for $170 on all seven windows of my Forester. I'm happy with it.

For parts, try subaruparts.com and subaru-parts.com. Note those are two different sites.

-juice
  • Options
    kmcleankmclean Member Posts: 173
    Lauren -

Ditto everything that Steve said in #4836, above. Had the "back five" in our new 2K wagon tinted a few weeks after we bought it in the spring of 2000. Never regretted it for a moment - like the looks and the increased privacy. If you live anywhere that gets seriously sunny and hot (unlike Seattle), that's even more reason to go for it.

Good luck!

Ken in Seattle
  • Options
    laureng1laureng1 Member Posts: 3
    Well, that was enough to convince me! I am definitely going to have them done. Steve, I checked out your pictures and since you have the white like me I could get a good idea of what it will look like, so thanks.

I've never had a car with tinted windows so it will neat. Thanks everyone.

Lauren
  • Options
    gam2gam2 Member Posts: 316
    Juice and all:
    Yes, I actually bought a Bravada. $7000 off list
    (about $28,500) plus a 5/60 bumper to bumper warranty. The dealer said they put the wrong price in the paper. I test drove almost everything
    and this fit my needs. Outbacks proved uncomfortable on my back and Foresters were just to small to carry 4 full size adults (I may consider one when my wife needs a new car). I will miss the 24 mpg though! I will say this though, for the price, the Outback was a nice car.
    Good ride and quiet. Light years ahead of vehicles like the Escape (NOISY) and the Vue (made my wife and I seasick). I'll check in on you guys to make sure no one gets too far out of line! And Juice, what are you doing on the GM SUV sight? Yes, 270 h.p. is nice.

GAM2
  • Options
    Just becareful of the front A-arms and keep an eye out for the usual GM stuff falling apart (interior etc.)

-mike
  • Options
    Congrats, Greg. I think there are 270 pretty good reasons to choose that vehicle. :-)

That's right, Olds gets a longer warranty than other GM makes, too.

The A-arms were an early recall, I'm sure yours is not affected. paisan is just sour because his beloved Trooper is becoming a GM clone. ;-)

-juice
  • Options
    the Assender will likely have a v8 option which would be nice.

-mike
  • Options
    I think it's Ascendor? I don't know why they dropped the Trooper name. It's really well known in overseas markets. You'll find 20 year old models in Suriname and Belize, still getting around. I don't think I've ever seen one in a junk yard, and I've been to several. They really last forever.

But I still prefer the Aussie name - Jackaroo! ;-)

-juice
  • Options
    It's the Big Horn! :)

-mike
  • Options
    ckfreundckfreund Member Posts: 24
    I've owned my 2001 base Outback wagon with manual transmission a year now and thought I would comment on various items.
    Gas mileage - I average 25 mpg highway (on the Interstate, which means 75+) and 18.5 city (in a winter in Wisconsin).
    Comfort - I find the seats stiff but comfortable. I am 6 feet tall and have more than enough head room and leg room when I'm driving. We've gone on two trips of more than 2000 miles and felt fine despite having the typical middle-aged back pains. The seats are sort of narrow and not meant for wide people. A passenger with long feet may have a problem.
    AWD - We haven't had much snow in southern Wisconsin this year so I can't really comment on snow handling. I've been in some torrential downpours and the car held the road great.
    Power - I judge power by if the car can get up to highway speeds by the time I merge on the on ramp. No problem. I've gone over the Colorado Rockies on I-70 in 4th gear and passed most cars.
    Cargo cover - This is starting to drive me crazy by making noises all the time while flopping around while its retracted.
    Camping - A great vehicle for a couple weeks of camping. I put a Thule Frontier (11 cubic feet) on the original roof rack and it didn't make any noise or effect the gas mileage. On the down side, I can't open the hatch all the way and it hits the dust deflector. A Yakima rep I talked to said getting a set of their towers and bars wouldn't help.
    But otherwise, no problems after one year and 13,000 miles.
  • Options
    Hmm, my cargo cover is quiet. I have a Forester, though. What about when it's deployed?

-juice