Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

2013 and earlier Volkswagen Passat Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    naveenavee Member Posts: 3
    sounds like a good deal. What is delivery fee? Is that the same as the destination fee?
  • Options
    philiprstphiliprst Member Posts: 4
    navee,

Yes it is... $575.
  • Options
    colodougcolodoug Member Posts: 1
    We just got a 04- sedan 4 motion, ESP with leather and wood trim manual 5 sp. $21,700. Lakewood, CO Osborn VW. It helped to do some internet shopping to have some knowledge of other offers. We thought we would want the 6 Cyl but the manual pulls fine up the Mtns and the stick is much more fun to drive. It just snowed here yesterday so we sampled the 4 motion- no problems and great traction.
  • Options
    gladiusgladius Member Posts: 1
    Negotiated a deal for my mother in mid-October. '04 GLS Auto AWD w/ cold weather package. Sticker was $27,105, sold for $21,900. You should expect invoice minus dealer cash. Only difference I could see on the '05 was 16" wheels come standard on the GLS.
  • Options
    philiprstphiliprst Member Posts: 4
    From these recent deals it seems that GLS Passats with AWD are being sold within a couple of hundred dollars of invoice -$3500 dealer cash. I recommend that anyone looking at a Passat consider the 4motion version because, after the dealer cash, the cost of AWD is only slightly higher than the regular FWD. I should add that I got mine with very little of the usual messing around at the dealer.
  • Options
    moveovermoveover Member Posts: 31
    Just bought one, stickered at $27,385 ( 4motion, black, grey leatherette) paid $21450 before taxes and tags, after the $3500 it is about $400 under invoice. Great car for this price, had to look around to find one. Seems like they are going fast with the weather turning around.
  • Options
    kbryant888kbryant888 Member Posts: 6
    I am graduating in December and really love the Passat. What type of Passat (Sedan) should I be looking for? Which style has the best features/engine for the buck?

I have been emailing back and forth with a dealership, I just want to ask the right questions and tell him which one Im interested in.

I assume 2004 model would be more feasible for me.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

-Chris
  • Options
    nudlenudle Member Posts: 1
    Color: Silver
    Mileage: 8K
    No additional packages or extras.

Is $27,500 a good offer?

Much thanks in advance.
  • Options
    fish8fish8 Member Posts: 2,282
    That price sounds a bit high. If you look at the numbers for used cars within Edmunds you will see the following:

VW Certified Used Car - $ 27,975
    Dealer retail - $26,298
    Private Party - $23,776

Is this purchase from an individual or dealer? I know dealers should be practically giving these things away. Theres a reason they do not make them anymore.

Either way you should be able to do better!!

Good luck!
  • Options
    irisfindcaririsfindcar Member Posts: 2
    2004 Passat GLS 1.8T 5-speed automatic Sedan
    Silver
    Velour Seating Surfaces
    Cold weather
    ESP

After 2,500 dealer cash, Is $20,950 + tax + tags a good offer?
    Advice for the price, many thanks in advance.
  • Options
    turbotorqueturbotorque Member Posts: 45
    Just a heads up - VW is apparently offering 0% APR for 66 months, although it is not advertised on Edmunds. I was told by the dealer that the 66 months applies only to select volume dealerships.
  • Options
    If you can live without a sunroof, the Passat GL 1.8T is the best bang for your buck, both in terms of vehicle price and gas mileage. I highly recommend stick shift. VW's automatic simply doesn't do justice to the 1.8T engine.
  • Options
    djskramsdjskrams Member Posts: 2
    It sounds like a lot of people are able to get dealer cash...was this a promotion? Or just a thrown in by the dealer due to VW sales struggles? Also, for the people who got the $3500 in dealer cash were you able to also get the 0% for a 2004?
  • Options
    You can't combine 0% APR and the $2500, but you can combine 0% APR and customer loyalty.

I am now back to thinking of leasing a new Passat rather than buying, considering how they have depreciated lately. I imagine the older B5 models will take an even bigger hit when the new B6 design rolls out.
  • Options
    uhhhhhhhhhh, I would suggest posting this in the appropriate forum. Maybe the Honda Accord forum.....
  • Options
    djskramsdjskrams Member Posts: 2
    Got the same from the dealer, I have them down to 21.4K on an '04 GLS-Auto with Leatherette, since I'm not using there 0% financing I'm trying to get them to move on $1k prev VW owner cashback...if they won't move I'm going to try to get them to flip me to an '05...I'm willing to pay a little more for it, but not over $22.2...thoughts?

I considered leasing one as well, they have the $289/36 month $2400 down for an '05, but considering the price breaks their giving right now, it makes more sense to buy it and just sell it in 3 yrs...the new design will hurt the value a little, but VW's will still sell...
  • Options
    If it is a 4Motion the price is pretty good, same as I paid. The 1.8T 4Motion's should hold their values pretty well since 04's and 05's are the only model year with the 1.8 4Motion. At this moment there is going to be at least a $3500 difference between the 04 and 05's because of the dealer cash. Also you have to be a current owner to get the extra $1000, tried the previous owner route and it didn't fly.
  • Options
    The $1,000 loyalty bonus belongs to you. Volkwagen pays that money, not the dealer. It should not be a factor in negotiations.

VW dealers are hurting for sales right now. Negotiations should be simple. Subtract all the incentives from the Edmunds invoice, and add $100 for dealer profit. Don't go any higher than $400 over invoice, less incentives. In other words, if Edmunds says the invoice is $20,000, and there are $2,000 in incentives, offer $18,100.

If you're lousy at negotiating in person, do it all over the phone or email. Just make it clear you're ready to buy today so they don't think you're wasting their time.
  • Options
    passatgpassatg Member Posts: 9
    It sounds OK. I want a $14000 trade on an 02 Jetta TDI with 30000 miles, good condition, and will pay $19700 for a new GLS 1.8T w/ESP, MSRP $25235 in VA Beach, VA. What do you think?
  • Options
    Invoice would be around $23200, less 2500 Dealer Cash and the $1000 current VW owner the price should be $ 19700 or less. I got mine for $400 under invoice before rebates.
    You might consider the 4Motion GLS if the dealer has any left, the dealer cash is $3500 so it pretty close in price the standard GLS. I paid $21500, (ESP + ColdW) but did not get the $1000 owner cash, which would have dropped the price to $20500.
  • Options
    What do you think about my trade offer of $14K on the '02 Jetta TDI 5 speed, w/31000 miles. I have a star chip in the windshield, a few scratches and part of the front bumper chiped off. Otherwise, great condition.
  • Options
    robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    Post the trade info over at Real World Trade In Values. Terry will give you a number.
  • Options
    sablegulessablegules Member Posts: 2
    My girlfriend bought a wheat beige O4 GLS Passat for 20990 - 2500 under invoice. The car was a lemon for the dealer though with the invoice dated Dec 30 '03. She also received the $1000 cash customer loyalty. She broke a lease early on a 2002 Golf Wagon with 44,000 miles. Trade in value was 9350 and she owed 14200. The negative difference of 4850 was rolled into the price of the car. In addition she put 2000 down.

She only nets 2000 month and has a credit score of 650. With those numbers, the dealer floated her financing at 72 months with a 6.5% rate.

Those are the terms of the deal. But....

When she went to pick the car up, we noticed the fender had a small dent and scratch. Obviously the dealer will fix the repair, but at this point she is not sure what to do. What do you think? Thankd for the input.
  • Options
    jrct9454jrct9454 Member Posts: 2,363
    ...is that she ought to keep her wagon ["Golf wagon"? Huh?] until she no longer has negative equity. At her annual income, this deal is something a responsible financial planner would tell her to avoid at all costs. But I would suppose it's too late now...
  • Options
    sablegulessablegules Member Posts: 2
    She had a 10,000 year mile allowance on the lease and she was already at 44,000 with 20 months left of the lease term. Each overage mile was charged .15/mile. Even if she kept the car until break even, depreciation and additional milage charges would pretty much put her at the negetive equity number she is in now. A no win situation with the lease. Your correct as to her financial situation. She's way overleveredged on the loan. Fortunately, she has 0 expenses outside of her car. Literally.
  • Options
    !4k is closer to retail then trade-in. You could probably buy a new 04 TDI after rebates etc for around $17.5

Check this site or KKB for trade-in values. Another alternative would be to check Carmax.
  • Options
    aramirezaramirez Member Posts: 1
    Hi,
    I just read your message when I was looking for a CD changer for my Jetta 2001.

Your's is really the best idea, what you can spend on a new cd changer and the compatibility hazzle, you can by an I Pod an have unlimitted music storage capabilities.

Thank's
  • Options
    Regarding the VW 1000 loyal customer rebate. The dealer claims that their is a requirement that I keep with the VW financing for at least 6 months or they (the dealer) will bill me the $1000. Is this at all true? The finance rate was 8.25%, I can get 1.9 from NFCU.
  • Options
    you do have to finance/lease through VW to get the $1k loyalty rebate, but it looks like the dealer is trying to mark up the interest rate in a very big way.
  • Options
    I don't get it. I used to drive EconoBoxes until I could afford to move up to a nicer car. I just don't get these people who keep trading in to yet another negative equity situation.
  • Options
    cogukcoguk Member Posts: 7
    Hi - I am trying to decide on a new lease.
    I've read what everyone says about paying $100 over invoice etc. but is all the haggling really worth it if I'm just getting a lease!?

i've got a lease offer based on total price $25,750. i think that's about $700 over the invoice price, but what does that $700 really translate into in my 48 month lease in the end?

I find the whole experience highly stressful, so if it just comes down to saving $5 a month, I'd like to spare myself the ulcer!

Any advice?
  • Options
    $700 is $700. It can be in your pocket or the dealer's pocket. If you don't care one way or another, just sign the papers and be done with it. It balances things out for when people demanding dead invoice walk through the dealership doors.
  • Options
    Hi turbotorque - thanks, and thanks for your other postings in this area - your threads have been most helpful!

But in terms of $700 "in my pocket" - that's my point ... its not in my pocket, not if i'm getting a lease, right? Its a small fraction of that every month "in my pocket" ...

So does anyone know roughly how much it equals each month? (i.e. $700 extra on total cost of car = "x" per month extra on a typical 48 month lease ... what is the value of "x")
  • Options
    Well, it seems that you're thinking like a "payment buyer" - you're only looking at the monthly payment. When someone tells me "only $10 more a month" for 36 months, I instantly think "$360". If I wouldn't be willing to pay cash upfront for that item that is "only $10 more a month", I won't get it.

Anyway, if you're happy with the deal being proposed, don't worry about the prices other people paid. I think some of the people saying "I just bought a BMW M3 for $300 below invoice, and the dealer gave me Kelly Blue Book on the trade" are blowing smoke up you know where...
  • Options
    joshtjosht Member Posts: 1
    I'm looking at leasing a new 05 Passat GLS for 36-39 months and I'm trying to get a good deal. In other words, I want to take the car's residual value and purchase price into account. I just received a quote from a local dealer stating the following:
    Selling price - $24,440 (MSRP= $26,030)
    Payment - $329.76 + tax (39 months)
    Mileage - 12,000/year
    Residual - 50%

Can anyone tell me if they've received a better deal? That seems high to me. Any thoughts on leasing vs. buying? I'm ultimately trying to get a low payment and would purchase if the price was right.
  • Options
    tf1tf1 Member Posts: 9
    For those, who considering 4Motion(4 cyl,6 cyl or 8 cyl). Compare maintaince schedules, it's "heavier", than without 4Motion. That means more money, time and problems with dealership. I did post my experience here(post 365), and it turned out it's not only my "bad luck": I came to the dealership about month ago and noticed guy(car owner), he was upset and one of dealership emploeeys asked him "What they doing with your car? Engine repare?" As I understood VW owner came there for oil change...
    But, it might be just here, in Memphis, TN.
    Good luck.
  • Options
    Is that to say that the dealer sets the finance rate and not VW? Also, the dealer claimed that if I refinanced before 6 months, I would be charged the $1000.
  • Options
    ksubram1ksubram1 Member Posts: 1
    Hi all,
    I am in the market for a 2004 VW GLS/GL Passat with automatic transmission. I am trying to take advantage of some year-end sales and deals that might come my way.
    Can anybody share their VW Passat buying experiences in the Chicagoland area ? Any dealers that I should steer clear of ?
    Thanks,
    ksubram1
  • Options
    I just leased my new 05 Passat GLS (relief and excitement!). I had a difficult time with the sales manager - slippery character. However I was armed with enough info thanks to this forum to be able to negotiate what I think was a good deal on an automatic with 4motion. I went for the 48 month lease - and got it for $310 including tax, with nothing down. They told me that with the $500 rebate I was actually getting it below "invoice", but then the figures on the deal sheet had so many confusing items that they could have been padding it back in .. the "selling price was $24,739, (MSRP $27,175) ... but then there was an "adjusted Selling Price" line item that read $26,447 and Total Cap cost was $27,247. Meanwhile, I was also able to turn in my Jetta which had 38 months of crap from my kids in it, a few scrapes and an unpainted replacement wingmirror. No charge for that and they are paying the last month on that lease.

So did I get a good deal, or did I get stiffed? ... who knows!? I don't think I ever really will.
    but i'm happy its behind me now for another 4 years!

Good luck everyone ... cheers!
  • Options
    bridgeviewbridgeview Member Posts: 5
    Thanks for your advice on the Owner Loyalty incentive. It didn't work for us. We tried at 2 dealerships. I gave my old 1995 Jetta to my brother one month before buying a new Passat. One dealer said "they have to draw the line somewhere" which ticked me off. How loyal can you be? I told her I had 9 years worth of repair receipts I'd gladly drop on her desk if she'd like. She didn't want to see them. Where we ended up buying the car, the salesman still declined the loyalty incentive, but at least was a little more empathetic by saying "we've tried all sorts of things for other customers, but VW just won't accept it unless you have a current title." Incidentally, the car we were going to buy from the first dealer still is sitting on their lot 2 months later!
  • Options
    bridgeviewbridgeview Member Posts: 5
    We just moved from Chicago and I can tell you that I purchased my old Jetta from Downer's Grove VW and it was a painless process. I had it serviced many times at West Suburban which was OK and then at the old Loeber now called Fletcher Jones which is a complete rip-off for service. They routinely found many things wrong with the car and recommended replacement for things that did not need to be repaired after being examined by other car repair facilities. Fletcher Jones seems to cater to all the LP Trixies that don't care if they pay too much. Good Luck with your car buying experience.
  • Options
    allisonkallisonk Member Posts: 4
    I have been offered $16k for standard GLS, w/cloth seats, automatic, certified w/ 2 year warranty. It has 34,000 miles. List is 17,492.

Is this a good deal? Any feedback would be appreciated.
  • Options
    There's a car dealer ("Terry") on the "Real World Trade Value" forum, who will be able to tell you if that is a good deal.

Still, that number seems kind of high to me given what they're going for new. Ignore the sticker price - Passats are selling much closer to invoice, and that doesn't even take into account the thousands in incentives on the '04 models.
  • Options
    Sounds like you got a great car and a great deal. You already signed the dotted line. so just enjoy your car.
  • Options
    I agree with the above post, $16,000 sounds a bit high for this car. New ones are going for invoice or lower for a brand new car.
  • Options
    jrct9454jrct9454 Member Posts: 2,363
    I wouldn't pay $16k for a 3-year old Passat with 34k miles.

Always work from the back forward when dealing with used car prices; check the KBB and Edmunds and other websites for the WHOLESALE, TRADEIN value of the car in question - and then remember the dealer probably paid even less. Add a reasonable profit [no more than 10%, less for many makes], and maybe $500 for the warranty, and you've got a reasonable basis for a counteroffer.

Example: for my zip code, Kelley lists the tradein value of that car at less than $12k [$11.7 to be precise]. My offer would be in the range of $14-14.5k, they would counter, and I might buy it at $14700 or so, depending on market and competition.

Keep in mind that the "guides" like Kelley allow the dealer 30-35% markups on used cars - so when they talk about "retail value", the trick is to try not to roll on the ground laughing. If you do the math on the original $17k asking price, you arrive at their cost of....voila...$11,900 - right on at wholesale book. Sure, they'd like to think they can make that kind of money on a used car, but it simply isn't in the cards in today's retail market. Caveat emptor.
  • Options
    zscottiezscottie Member Posts: 23
    I'm in a search for an '05 1.8T 4motion wagon...I've been told by 2 dealers that production has stopped, so what's @ the port, or @ the dealers is it. So, is it possible to get a "hot" car @ invoice? So, far, the quotes I've received have been close to Edmund's TMV...
  • Options
    soc1soc1 Member Posts: 2
    i'm in the D.C. metro area, a.k.a. Rockville MD. About to buy a 2005, gls, 1.8T, 4cylinder, automatic for 25,474, plus tax, tags title. Added on teh leather package and 17" alloy wheels all for that price. Hope it's good. Heard that the 2006 models are a new design, and that 2005's will come way down in price (a few thousand) later this year. My info came from other postings on edmunds.

Have fun driving it!
  • Options
    That price seems a bit high. I purchased my '04 Passat GLS 1.8t with Auto for $20,900. I can't see leather and 17" wheels costing almost $5,000.
  • Options
    mjtianmjtian Member Posts: 48
    Hello all, I just purchased a VW and got a GREAT deal. It was snowing here in St. Louis and I had just saw in the local paper that the 2004 Passat is still available at Brand New. I paid $17,995 plus $99 for the paperwork. I was shoked.

The dealer initially claimed that my newpaper ad was a misprint. It was a bitter cold day and it took him forever to bring out the car. I thought he was playing games and left the dealership after sitting around for an hour not even seeing the car. Well, he calls me on my cell phone explaining that he was cleaning the vehicle and that if I were to return to the dealership he would sell me the car at the advertised price (he initially insisted on $19,995 which was still a good price). I went back, drove the car and loved it.

I guess I got lucky partly because VW is redesigning the 2006 Passat and the weather conditions forced most people to stay at home. oh, the post also helped out. The car had only 85 miles on it!!!!