Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Real-World Trade-In Values

Comments

• rroyce10rroyce10 Member Posts: 9,332
    ..... Oh babe, lot's of miles going on here .. no slider, no chromes, good color for the area .. sounds like the high $9's, maybe the low low $10's ..

Aren't you the guy with the Avalon ..?

Terry.
    ....... After seeing about 5,000 of them and talking to around 50 Acura dealers, I have a funny feeling this has become an Urban Legend .. if it makes you feel better, purchase a 01 ..

Terry.
    .... You say it's clean, we have the Xtra's and it's way low in miles, plus it's a 4x4 .. trade side, in and around the mid $12's, "could" "maybe" see $13,0 in your area ..

Down Retail Rd, $15,9 in the paper and say "see ya" at $14,5/$15,5 .. it's a great color for the area, just keep it clean when you go to show it ..

I hope this helps ...

Terry.
    ..... Sounds like it could be a nice one .. now is the time to trade/sell this low miler, we got wheels, we got leather, the color is good anywhere .. trade side, in and around the tall $8'S, maybe the low low $9's ... down Retail Rd, a great detail and a better ad, $10,9 in the paper and $10,0 gets a new owner ..

Thanks for stopping by ..

Terry.
    ...... I have no idea where Edmunds get's some of their figures, but $6,700 is not one of them .. it's a 96 - not a 98, the miles are low for the year, we have 4 new tires, you make it sound almost new, the biggest problem here is: it's a handshaker, manual trannys sell as fast as the watching of the Soap Box Derby .. the dealer might sell this in a week or he "might" sell it in 2 months, the word being here is "might" .. perhaps $4,5 is a little low, maybe $5,0 is the figure, but $6,7 is a retail figure, not a trade figure ..

Get a great detail, put in a great ad in the SF paper, and down Retail Rd ask $7,499, then kick that puppy loose at $6,0/$7,0 ..

Good luck and let me know ...

Terry.
    ... Slider ..? - hole in the roof, moon, sunroof, twisted top, power sun, romance on the ceiling, etc, etc...

Terry.
    .... I'm glad things worked out, $6,500 ..? I didn't think so, he got the right $$, fair for him and the dealer .. your guy with the $12,0 Eldo, he should be putting on a dress and doing cart wheels in the streets .. $55,0 for the 01 SL MB.? - he might as well go down to Home Depot, grab 300lbs of potting soil and make a planter out of it - I'm selling 02's for $56,9 with 7/9k ..

The Infiniti sounds nice, low in the miles dept, right color combo, slider and all the stuff .. as long as there is no re-paint, rubber is deep, no Swiss Army knives through the leather, $16,0 seems a little low, especially in your area ~ low miles can't get em' can't find em', if it's a nice one, the mid to tall $16's ...

Good luck and let me know ..

Terry.
  • jlawrence01jlawrence01 Member Posts: 1,757
    No Avalon ... have an Infiniti to get rid of ... just too many other things going on to sell that car in August...
  • pwein1pwein1 Member Posts: 21
    Went for stroll down Retail Road and came across this deal.

01 Saab 9-3 Convert
    Red exterior, tan leather guts
    Only 14k miles, good rubber
    heated seats, On Star on board
    Asking $22.9

My trade:
    01 Infiniti I30, silver, grey leather, 26k miles, all the standard equipment
    It got into a fight and got scraped up at Kmart, etc. Estimate to get fixed, $500
    He bid me $15k,
    Thoughts?
  • akanglakangl Member Posts: 3,281
    That's hubby's work truck, I told him yesterday.....after it left us on the side of the road with the horse trailer.....that it still has to last 2 years before he can have a new one.

Right now its sitting in the driveway (we limped it and the horse trailer home last night) needing a new alternator and the flywheel fixed.....total cost of repairs needed......$1500. Needless to say its gonna sit there for a while....now I just hope nothing happens to the Explorer.
  • johnnycskjohnnycsk Member Posts: 29
    Thanks for the info Terry!!!
  • ghuletghulet Member Posts: 2,564
    ...the SAAB, is it a base 9-3 or an SE? Automatic or 5-speed?

Not that anyone asked me, but are you sure you want to trade an Infiniti for a SAAB?
  • zueslewiszueslewis Member Posts: 2,353
    In lemon law cases, I don't see Inifinitis (3 in 2 years) - Saabs, though, oh my Lord.
  • pwein1pwein1 Member Posts: 21
    The Saab is an SE model. Here is the deal, I like my Infiniti, but would like a convertible for fun. Maybe get something used as a 3rd car? Anyone have any suggestions on this one?
  • beechmanbeechman Member Posts: 36
    Hi Terry, longtime reader, second-time requester (close to unloading 2001 Rav4 you advised me about a while back)...

My 82-year-old mother-in-law has a 2001 Honda CR-V (last year of old body style) that she is possibly looking to unload here in Phoenix, wanted to get your take on it. Here are the particulars:

LX version, 2wd
    3500 miles (not a misprint!)
    Automatic
    Red with gray cloth interior
    PW, PL, CC, AM/FM/Cassette with dealer-installed OEM CD player
    Steelies (standard on LX)
    Roof rack
    Windows tinted
    Tires virtually new

Interior is pristine, paint is very good to excellent.

I wanted to get your input on trade-in/retail road. Thanks for your help, I truly appreciate it!
  • surfsuppsurfsupp Member Posts: 10
    Thanks for all your info Terry. I knew I had one more question in me before I'm off to work a deal on the '99 Jeep Grand Cherokee.

Do you recommend performing a 60,000 mile service on the vehicle prior to taking it in for trade/sale?

I'm wondering if after a detail, scratch repair, a service (dealers seem to charge about $150-300 for this) would impact the value one way or another.

Thanks again! (How are you not a host on the forum?)
  • handsfreehandsfree Member Posts: 25
    Just another Huge "Thank You". Man, you are good!
       We went with our friends last night with their QX4 and after a 15 minutes of haggling I showed him a copy of your post, he says "who is this guy, your like the 3rd person that has brought him up in a negotiation!", it's a small small world huh.?
       Anyway, they moved the trade up to $16,700 and our friends bought their new Yukon XL, which by the way is really nice, BIG, but really nice!

You might want to license this stuff, it's deadly!
    Again, Thank You for the 20th time, your the best!!
    M.
  • njexpressnjexpress Member Posts: 170
    Hi Terry!
    I had posted a question in the FX forum regarding puting a price on the 03 FX 35 with 4K miles and I was asked to go bug you if I wanted the right answer.. Could you please help? I have pasted my post below:
     saw one listed in an online "Upfront pricing" site for $36.5K ish…
    Since there are no book values available yet: The first year depriciation for the FX for zip code 08854 (NJ) is listed as $10,041. This is based off of the TMV for 08854, which,per edmunds, is roughly $650 below sticker.
    However, from what people keep reporting, we should get a new '03 FX for $500 over invoice which is also roughly $3400/= below MSRP OR $2773/= below the reported TMV (Is everyone confused, yet? ;0) ).
    Now, since we pay 2,775 below TMV, we are looking at a depreciation of 10,041-2775 = $7,268 /= at the end of the first year assuming tht all other parameters are the same. But if we assume that the mileage on the vehicle is just about 4,000 or so, the mileage adjustment to apply would be ~ (4000* $0.15 = $600). This makes the net depreciation 7,268 minus 600 = $6,668/=. (I may be off by a couple of hundred bucks in rounding incorrectly…)
    So, Should the price of a pre owned FX35 with 4K miles approx. be around (6668-500) = $6168 below invoice?!?!?!? This doesn't seem to jive… Am I missing something here? Somebody, please light the candle - This sounds tooooo good to be true..
    (Even if it is true, doesn't it sound too incredible to make an offer based on?!)

TIA!!
    --njexpress
  • stebustebu Member Posts: 204
    How about a used Miata... convert, definitely fun to drive, no room, but who cares if it's a 3rd vehicle toy... I've always thought that if I ever get a motorhome, the Miata would be the perfect tow vehicle.
  • michaellnomichaellno Member Posts: 4,120
    ...his '94 Range Rover. It's the LWB County model, beige in color, 105K miles, a small ding in the rear, otherwise pretty decent condition. 80202 area code.

What would be a good asking price?
    or Terry will take a few days off and leave you all high and dry...
  • eaton53eaton53 Member Posts: 356
    I posted this here a couple of weeks ago....

"I have a '98 Ford Contour SVT
    One owner, 52K miles
    Sharp looking black car with rear wing
    Every option, including sunroof and 10 disc CD
    New tires and rear brakes"

Sold today for $9000, 44% of what I paid new in '97. Not bad for a 6 year old domestic sedan.

Don't underestimate the value of those SVT letters on the back end!!
    Denver, CO is the 80202 area code.

Happy? Will I get an answer now? I'm real curious, as this was a $50K vehicle new 9 years ago.
    .... The 4.2 sounds kinda nice, should do well on the Left Coast, clean, no paint work, deep round things, stand tall and loaded .. it should see $29ish, could see $30 on the left side .. the 5, miles are tall, has to be at least no-paint work, great service, the high 6's, low $7's .. down Retail Rd, the A6 $34,9 in the paper and $33,9/$34,5 gets a new pilot. The Bimmer, depends on a lot of stuff, service, color, how it "stands", a real nice one will see $9ish ..

Good luck .!

Terry.
    .... Gholly Ghee, hard to believe .. what was that one poster saying, can't sell em', can't give em' away .. ?

$9 grand ..? Good job ..!

Terry.
    ..... I flunked my course in Chinese, so all those figures I don't understand .. but right now, Clean 2/6k, FX35 4x4's are doing around $35/$36,0 at trade/auctions and every dealer is fighting over them ..

That means, down Retail Rd they are getting $39ish for them .. by the way, I would take it with a grain of salt with all those buyers at $500 over, I have yet to see an Infiniti dealer sell one at that price, except for the strippys and 2WD's .. the AWD's, I don't think so ..

Terry.
    ..... This isn't an FBI interogation, there's a Big difference in the value of a Land Rover in Colorado then in Miami, DC or Baton Rouge and I don't have the time to look up zip codes ..

Anyway, if all the service is in check, cold air, deep rubber, no rust, no click click in the 4wd, no electrical problems, no paint work, looks and feels like a 50k vehicle .. then trade side, it's worth in and around the high $4's, low low $5's ... down Retail Rd, $7,9 in the paper and $6,9/$7,5 sends it off to ski school ... better be a nice one, these are known for the electrical problems.

I hope this helps ...

Terry.
    ..... Can't hurt, as long as you have someone you can trust and not clobber you with some crazy $500+ bill, so shop around .. the basics are better.

Good luck and let me know ..!

Terry.
    ....... Your quite welcome, they traded a great vehicle and bought a great vehicle .. a fair deal for both .!

Terry.
    ...... Ohhh, right color, no miles, 2wd (so what.!) LX, auto .. trade side, in and around the tall $11's, maybe $12,0 with the right dealer .. Down the path, turn right go another mile, turn left, that's Retail Rd ~ a Great 5 liner Ad, $15,9 in the paper and $14,9/$15,5 sends it off to Camelback for a golf lesson ... this should take about 3 days to sell this little beauty .. :)

Terry.
    ..... Have a wonderful weekend, stay out of jail -- and Aka, stay away from the car lot's ..! ~~ cuz' I'm going to be in your area and I will have my new Special Forces night vison 300 mile range lenses with me .. ;-))

Terry.
  • rdernrdern Member Posts: 11
    Terry,
    It was suggested to me on an Audiworld Forum to ask you about pricing for my TT. I am in Nashua, NH, 03060. I have a 2000 TT Quattro, Silver with Black Leather interior. It has the Audio Package, The Comfort Package, and The Performance Package. 41k miles on it. The wheels have the scratches from the previous owner, but other than that it's in good shape. I am the second owner. I have it listed in a few places for $19500 figuring people can negotiate me down to $18500 (my bottom line). I have been getting some offers that I think are real low $14500, $16900, and so on. Am I shooting too high? What is realistic in this market for a selling prices and trade in values on this car?

Thanks
    Ha, too late.....went to the Chevy dealer today......won't say what I came home with.....*giggle*
  • lancerfixerlancerfixer Member Posts: 1,284
    Hopefully a repaired truck, and nothing else...
    The truck never left the yard....lol. Not giving anymore hints....hehehe.
    Thanks, Terry. Sometimes the right guy just comes along.

Now I'm on the hunt for a '00 or newer Miata. Wife doesn't know how (or want to learn how) to shift, which makes it a bit tougher.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,100
    Heads up... '99 was the first model year for the re-design with the glass back window.. Some of those are dipping under $10K.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

...thanks for the scoop on the RR. Shoulda put a ":)" on my last set of comments ... I can see where the tone of that post could have been misinterpreted.
    1% interest penalty (5.64% vs 4.64%) on older than '00.

Got 2 leads, have to travel to either....
    '00 16.5K Silver w/Tan Leather $13K (should be even less, haven't negotiated yet)
    '02 1K Silver w/Black Cloth $16K (Ebay car, not much time left but might go higher)
  • njexpressnjexpress Member Posts: 170
    I guess I would have to settle for say 3 K below invoice, should I proceed further.
    Thanks again!
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,100
    If the '00 is an LS (might be, considering the leather), that sounds like a pretty good deal, especially if you can knock it down another thousand or so.... The LS has a lot of nice extras... I'm jealous..good luck.

kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• tutterstutters Member Posts: 5
    Terry,I just thought I'd let you know that I bought an '03 Navigator w/ 14000 miles,Ultimate w/ everything except the dvd & navigation system.I paid $40,499+tax&lic.I think I got a good deal.Kbb says that it should sell for around $44,000.Didn't trade in the Explorer.They didn't want it.Thanks again for your help.
  • d_bugd_bug Member Posts: 3
    My neighbor recently bought a 2004 Toyota Corolla S from a dealer, but cannot afford to keep it. I am very interested in purchasing the car but i cant find the Market Value on a "used" 2004 corolla. The man asking for $1000 less than what he paid at the dealer.
    is that a fair price?
    if you need, i can give you more information about the car.
    Thank you
  • cokebear1cokebear1 Member Posts: 2
    I'm thinking of trading in my 2000 Nissan Altima GXE. It has 51,000 miles and some moderate body damage. We have kept up all the maintance w/records and it drives and runs great but it's time for another car. I'm looking at a 2003 Hyundai Elantra GLS. The KBB & Black Book trade-in values are between $5600-$5800, with the body damage. What can I reasonably expect for a fair dealer trade in?

Any input would be helpful.

Thanks!

Chris
  • rerenov8rrerenov8r Member Posts: 380
    Figure around every 300 miles whacks about an equal off of "what he paid" until/unless it over 5000 miles -- then you're not talking "new car" anymore...

Find out if he got an extended waranty & if there is a transfer fee -- if the original warranty "dies" upon sale you might have something else to worry about...
  • cokebear1cokebear1 Member Posts: 2
    I'm thinking of trading in my 2000 Nissan Altima GXE. It has 51,000 miles and some moderate body damage. We have kept up all the maintance w/records and it drives and runs great but it's time for another car. I'm looking at a 2003 Hyundai Elantra GLS. The KBB & Black Book trade-in values are between $5600-$5800, with the body damage. What can I reasonably expect for a fair dealer trade in?

Any input would be helpful.

Thanks!

Chris
  • kf714kf714 Member Posts: 9
    Hi, Terry, I live in Wash, DC and am looking for price of my Silver EX with 81,000 miles, few scrapes on bumpers and in good condition, Just standard stuff on it. I do have Honda Cares 100,000 ext warrenty on it and have done all sceduled maint and have used mobil 1 from begining. Thanks for all of your help - Kenny
  • boatonseaboatonsea Member Posts: 4
    I can't find TMV on Edmunds.com b/c it's too new.
    Need help with trade-in value

All standard features, no leather, no moon-roof, only 5,000 miles. Very clean with few blemishes on the body...

thanks a lot !
    "The KBB & Black Book trade-in values are between $5600-$5800, with the body damage."

KBB and NADA don't do estimates on body damage - prepare yourself for some pretty broad variances on what used car managers think the damage will cost to repair. Your best bet is to get a good estimate from a reputable body shop in the area you're doing business - that will remove a great deal of guesswork on the part of the dealer.