Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Real-World Trade-In Values

Comments

• Options
    jbolltjbollt Member Posts: 736
    Looking at an '02 Honda CRV EX automatic silver w/roof rack in Southern Calif County. Private party with 26,000 miles. All the usual EX standard equip, slider, CD etc. Please advise what a good offer price is, as we are going to see it Wed (tomorrow) morning, and will have funds availble to purchase if vehicle looks and drives like an '04. Thanks for the quick help.

Jeff
  • Options
    kayalmdkayalmd Member Posts: 2
    My husband & I are considering trading in our 2001 Nissan Maxima SE for a used minivan to a used dealership. It has 34,000 miles. It has one ding on the passenger door and one scuff mark on the front driver's side bumper. Carpets are realtively clean. It has a power sliding sunroof, power doors/windows/locks, am/fm/cassette/ single cd player, power steering, A/C, cruise control, garage copener, power driver seat, automatic 4 speed transmission, V6, rear spoiler, ABS, tilt wheel, dual front air bags, rear spolier, and alloy wheels. We've never had any problems with it and have kept up w/ all the regular maintenance. What is it worth to a used dealer, most likely a Dodge dealer in the Detroit suburbs? We have gotten estimates from $12,000 to $14,000. Thanks!
  • Options
    rroyce10rroyce10 Member Posts: 9,332
    .......... So we are off to buy a vehicle tommorow ..

Lets see here, it's a 02 4x4 EX, we have those tiny little 26,000 miles, auto with the slider .. dealer side they probably got shot the high $16's, maybe the dealer went as high as the low low low $17's .. down Retail Rd, after all the smoke and blood - $18,5ish .. depends how nice it is, it better be like yesterday to get the Big money ..

Don't forget to let me know ..

Terry.
  • Options
    ....... Whats going on with the vacation ..........?

Terry.
  • Options
    ...... Your welcome .. you should be able to find some pretty nice Zcars out there ..

Tell Aaarnold I said Hi ....

Terry.
  • Options
    ....... I'm glad things worked out .. you guys must have had a cold winter, huh.? .. I've been to Houston a few times and in the summertime, it makes the Everglades feel like Aka's neck of the woods with all that humility, I mean humidity ....... :)

Terry.
  • Options
    ....... 01 Century Custom with about 35k, we got the silver thing going on (still under warranty.?) .. if it's nice, deep sneakers, no chainsaw massacre's, no Dutch Boy additions .. then trade side, in and around the high $5's, low low $6's ..

Great little vehicle for Retail Rd .. $8,495 *asking* and wave goodbye at the first $7,5/$7,9 ...

Terry.
  • Options
    Terry, thanks for quick reply...it is for my bro-in-law...we will be sure to check for body work/paint work..etc...etc and we'll let you know.
  • Options
    ...... What are they asking ...?

Terry.
  • Options
  • Options
    .... Great description, thanks ...

In the Land of the Lions, cough .. it's a 01 SE, we got the slider, auto, abs, spoiler, no Bozo sound .? and we have 34k ..

Trade side, in and around the ultra high $12's low $13's in your area .. if you can get $14 for it - Grab it .. the Detroit area isn't known for their hospitality for imports ..

Good luck and let me know ..!

Terry :-)
  • Options
    ....... Their asking $16,999 .....? cheap money, almost too cheap ..

How fast can you be there ....?

As usual, get some history and have a Reeeal Close look .... $16,999 - hmmm ..

Terry.
  • Options
    vgxvgx Member Posts: 40
    I didn't get a response after replying back for your last two quesitons about my BMW 325Ci...

I don't mean to be a bother, but I thought it might have slipped your mind since it was spread out over a few posts...

i'll recap it real quick. 2001, 22,600 miles, premium & sport packages, blue with gray leather, automatic, Central FL, 2 key marks in paint on driver's side (both about 2 inches) one of them with a dent around it, rims on passenger's side scraped from running up on a curb a few times, 4 new tires...

We traded it for a 2004 RX 330 about 3 weeks ago and got $20,500 for it... just wanted to see if we got a good deal or not!

Thanks again!!!
  • Options
    redkey1redkey1 Member Posts: 270
    I'd asked a while back but got buried in the ebay BMW scam......

Comparing deals on a new TSX, put a deposit down but another dealer followed up w/ a better price ($700) and says he should be able to beat the 1st guy's trade offer, so I am going to see him tonight so any advice would be MOST appreciated!!!!

Trade is a 2002 Yellow Jeep Wrangler Sport, 6cyl, 22,500 miles (no offroad), 5 speed, hard / soft top, AC, 7 speakers CD w/ subwoofer (factory), big factory rims / tires.

Thanks! !!!!!
  • Options
       ....... But anytime you get missed, just Repost .. I certainly can't miss my basket weaving classes twice a week ya know ....

Terry.
  • Options
    ........ I think I saw it parked at the Florida Mall ....

It's an 01 325ci, 23k, we have the sport/prem package, auto, no-sale blue and we have a few little kisses .. $20,5 ..? .. that was ALL peso's and a Slurpy in O-town ....

Terry.
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,422
    The '02 CRV was for sale by a private party.. Just looking out for you...

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    ........ In the city of the tea parties .. we have a 02 4x4, 6 banger Jeepster Sport with 23k city miles, plus both tops, we also have the moving around thing between the seats and lotsa noise ..

If the tires are Deep, no Jack the Ripper interior, cold breeze .. then trade side, in and around the ultra high $13's, low $14's (make sure they Know you have both Tops) ...

Good luck and let me know ...

Terry.
  • Options
    ......... Thanks .. I caught that part, I was just wondering why so cheap, especially in the SCal area .. let's hope it's "all there" .l.o.l...

Terry.
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,422
    Considering I have the same exact car with the same exact mileage... I was hoping the number would be higher...

On the CRV, check the tires out closely.. With 26K miles, and if they are the original Dueler HTs, then they will be almost worn out. A very crappy tire.. Fortunately, replacements are cheap in the CRV size... $300 installed for a very good set.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    redkey1redkey1 Member Posts: 270
    Got the 1st dealer (one I have the deposit with) to $14k even....so I guess I did pretty well. They started at $12.5 but I guess the sales mgr wants to buy it for his beach house.

I just wanted to know if I had any leverage w/ the new dealer that keeps bugging me to come by before I take delivery (the car I have the deposit on is due at the end of the month) b/c he says he can beat the 1st guy by $500 all in.

Thanks!!
  • Options
    Thanks..we will be sure to look at the tires, and take that into account. We leave within the hour to have a look....hoping it is a nice one...I'll post back here later today with report.

Jeff
  • Options
    ...... ** They started at $12.5 but I guess the sales mgr wants to buy it for his beach house. **

Yeh yeh yeh, thats what I tell all my customers, I just need to get a beach house that's all .l.o.l...

Anyway, you did Real Good.!

Terry.
  • Options
    wagonguywagonguy Member Posts: 18
    Hi Terry. Posted this end of last week, but it's been a little busy in here so figured you probably missed it. Was asking about my current daily driver -- a '97 Outback Ltd. wagon with about 93,5K... black, auto, 5-spoke alloys (as opposed to the standard Outback rims), grey int with heated leather seats, power everything... single CD player added (though no upgraded speakers), aftermarket alarm system. Unfortunately, no slider.

Aesthetically: In good condition overall... fair number of minor scratches but no dings. Exception is a scratch along the driver's side front fender (keyed), and a crack in the plastic bumper cover in front of the pass side front wheel well (close to the bottom, and not very noticeable). Interior is in great shape (and I don't smoke).

Mechanically: Dealer tells me at least one of my cam seals is leaking, which I now know is very common with these engines. Side story - I'm pissed that they didn't recommend replacing the seals when I had the timing belt and water pump done about 20K ago, since I'm sure they do these ALL THE TIME. The job is all labor, and lots of it... includes removing the timing belt anyway (which, they also tell me, might have to be replaced AGAIN while they're in there if it's been leaked on!). Total of about $440, including $80 for another belt, if necessary. >:( But, that aside... maintenance has been done regularly, all by said dealer. Pads on all 4 wheels are relatively new, and I just (end of Dec) put on a new set of Michelin Harmony tires.

All of that said, wondering what you think I might get for a trade, or if I'd be better off trying to sell it myself. Keep in mind this is Subaru Country. And, regardless, would it pay for me to get any of those things fixed before attempting to do either? Body work is expensive, as is the seal job...

Thanks again for your help!!
  • Options
    kayalmdkayalmd Member Posts: 2
    Hi Terry,
    Thanks for your quick repsonse! Additionally what do you think we could get for it by selling to a private party? Also it it worth it to try to sell it for an 01 Dodge Caravan/Grand Caravan? Or should we wait a year until we can afford a new Odyssey/Sienna? We have one toddler & are expecting #2 in 2 months. Thanks for all your help!
    Melanie Kayal
    PS we think the Lions stink too.
  • Options
    jaserbjaserb Member Posts: 820
    jaserb Mar 7, 2004 9:21pm

and

jaserb Mar 8, 2004 8:11pm

Still trying to figure out whether to fix it or dump it...

-Jason
  • Options
    The CR-V was a stunner, near new BF Goodrich tires, and not a mark on the paint or interior. All service done at dealer as scheduled, and we drove it home for..... drum roll please....

$16,200! Ta da!!!!

Thanks for your help again, Terry...

Jeff
  • Options
    bogeyoneoparbogeyoneopar Member Posts: 4
    Looking for trade/private sale numbers for a 2000 Ford Ranger 4X4 XLT Super Cab with 4 doors. Dark Green, 48K, Auto, Air, Single CD, Bedliner.

New brakes, overall good condition except a small "how do you do" to the rear bumper and quater panel. I have a quote of around $750 for the repair which I would do if I decide to sell myself.

Thanks for any thoughts.
  • Options
    frag235frag235 Member Posts: 81
    Greetings 'o great sage...what say you on this one:

Olympia, WA/Sedan/Gold-Cloth Ivory Guts

4-cyl/Auto/PW/PL/ABS/Cold air/Alloys/Wood Trim/Fog Lights/6-disk CD

Interior looks hovered in (no Big Mac or Shaq attacks); Exterior - no accidents/parking lot kisses, some minor scratches/rock chips; Deep round things, Service is 100% and, and,.........

72,000 miles (I know, I know, I'll get clobbered for this but there's no subways in the deep, wet woods of Washington state - lol)
  • Options
    vgxvgx Member Posts: 40
    "that was ALL peso's and a Slurpy in O-town .... "

riiiiight... does that mean i got hosed, then? I laughed out loud when I read that at first... but now I'm just scratching my head!!

for being as young as I am, I am completely UNhip! =/

P.S. oh yea, if you saw it parked in Orlando, that is some freaky stuff right there! what a small world, eh? =)
  • Options
    corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,268
    Don't sweat it... He said you got all the money and a bag of chips for the BMW in Orlando. You did fine!
  • Options
    akanglakangl Member Posts: 3,281
    I think my dad will be married to his Ram for the rest of his life. The estimate on his latest oops is in, only a mear $9000.........add that to the $3500 for the accident the month before and that's a whopping $12,500 in damage to the truck in 2 months. That will, I'm sure, flat kill any resale value that bad boy might have had (not much considering its the old low hp/torque cummins from 2001).
  • Options
    handsfreehandsfree Member Posts: 25
    I see you have been busy, but what else is new.
    We have some friends that live in NJ and they are wanting to trade their car, the problem is the dealer doesn't think it's worth even $9,000 - could he be right?
       It's a 99 clean Toyota Avalon XL, (not S) it has the sunroof, leather, cd, wheels, new tires 2 months ago and 26K, nonsmoker, it's the white pearl outside with the tan leather interior, no scratches, no dents, 1 small one by the trunk bottom, they keep it serviced and garaged because they drive their suv's in the snow, should they sell it on the private sale?
    Thanks a million!
    M.
  • Options
    steine13steine13 Member Posts: 2,818
    The vacation was short but a lot of fun, thanks Terry.

The reason it was fun was the Zoo in Atlanta (plus a little downtown) and the Aquarium in Chattanooga, which we squeezed in on the back swing. Thanks for the advice, guys!

The reason it was short -- and we never made it to Stone Mountain -- was that my daughter got a little sick; sore throat and all, and we decided to head back early. She pulled herself together for the Zoo and it was big fun strolling around in the sun with temperatures all the way in the tall 50s! I hate MI in March...

The reason this post is on topic is this: I think my resale value just took a hit... not that I'm planning to trade. 03 Sienna CE with 16k miles; and newly keyed on the driver side door, quarter panel, and sliding door. It's mostly on the door, and somebody did it carefully. At least it's "sand metallic" in color, it doesn't show up too much. don't even know where it happened; it's more of a MI thing, I thought, buy American and all... I guess my Vibe is safe...

Anyway, I can live with the scratches, I just gotta make sure (how?) it ain't gonna rust... any advice?

I believe the last thing I want is to get three panels repainted. I don't think it's ever as good as factory. Thank God this is a work van for my wife more than anything... I'm not hung up on my vehicle's cosmetics, and if it had been an accident, I'd be ok with it. But to willfully scratch it up absolutely BURNS ME UP.

Great freeway cruiser btw, 800 miles yesterday in a little over 12 hours. Two stops for driver change; this is the least fun car I've had in a while, but it is perfect for long distances with a kid. 25mpg to boot.

-Mathias
  • Options
    akanglakangl Member Posts: 3,281
    Yup, minivans are great, I've had 2, I miss not having one, but an SUV is more suited to our needs (not to mention our lovely driveway).

Sorry to hear about someone scratching up your van, that sucks, never understood how someone could do that. Glad to hear you had fun on your vacation.
  • Options
    dkuhajdadkuhajda Member Posts: 487
    I agree with Terry, if you are really getting $14K ACV trade in on it take it and run. Locally the Nissan dealer just got in a large pile of 2001 off lease, or factory program Maxima's. The totally deluxe ones are looking at an asking price of $15,900 with the similar SE's to yours with an ASKING price of $13,900, including the certified warranty from the dealer!!!!! All with between 35K and 45K on the ticker.

I checked with some of the online used car listings and several of the Nissan dealers all have a pile of these right now, 2001 Maximas.

Given the recent 'flood' of those used, it is likely you will get a thousand or so less than the lowest typical retail you can find in your area. I would bet if you searched you will get a good idea of the typical low retail asking price for your car.

This is not so far from Detroit either, Northern Indiana.
  • Options
    mirthmirth Member Posts: 1,212
    I advocate public flogging for car keyers...
  • Options
    ghuletghulet Member Posts: 2,564
    My neighbors/landlords had their new '03 Expedition keyed last year (it was probably about two months old), ALL over. Hood, both sides, all the way down. I can't imagine being that vindictive or hateful.
  • Options
    mirthmirth Member Posts: 1,212
    ...and it's ugly no matter what the subject is or what side you're on.
  • Options
    mark156mark156 Member Posts: 1,915
    Akangl, what was the reason for the Explorer being in the shop?

Also, sorry to hear that your daughter has been ill.

Mark156
    2010 Land Rover LR4, 2013 Honda CR-V, 2009 Bentley GTC, 1990 MB 500SL, 2001 MB S500, 2007 Lincoln TC, 1964 RR Silver Cloud III, 1995 MB E320 Cab., 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach
  • Options
    ......... Commie B------'s ..... !

They just need to put these guys in a maximum security prison with Bubba for about 2 days .. after that, the only thing they will scratching off will be Bubba's tattoo ......... :)

Anyway .. (not being able to see it) "probably" a high speed buffer and some Mag26 should bury 75/80% of the idiots vandalism ... gheez I hate that, no respect for others peoples things.

Terry.
  • Options
    ..... ** I think my dad will be married to his Ram for the rest of his life. The estimate on his latest oops is in, only a mear $9000 **

$9grand ...? .. gheez the kid is just fine, you just need to be using that Duct tape on your dad and hubby ...

Terry.
  • Options
    .......... Sorry .. lets see what we have here, it's a 97 Legacy limited Outback wagon, it's got the auto, 94k, it needs $500 of stuff, bun warmers, cd, a few kisses here and there, plus new sneakers ... trade side, in and around the mid to high $5's ....

Down Retail rd, fix the stuff, superb detail, excellent well placed ad, $7,900 *asking* and cut it loose for the first $6,9/$7,5 .. your kinda in a mixed bag here, miles can choke ya, but maybe the area can save it, this will All depend on what the dealer offers you on trade, it may be easier to cut and run.

let me know, I will interested on what #'s the local dealer uses ...

Terry.
  • Options
    ........ Caravans are a dime a dozen and you can buy them on any given day, as far as the Ody's and the Sienna's, you might have to take your time to find a nice one ..

Me personally, I would send the Maxima down Retail Rd .. a complete and glorious detail, wonderful ad in the Mo-town area, $16,900 *asking* and drop-kick that dude loose at the first $15,5/$16,5 .. the miles and the options can help here, most in your area are rentals with the SE "delete" package, no slider, no leather, no wheels and most of all, 16 previous owners .. remember, the hand buys what the eye see's and if the eye see's dirt, dents, matted up carpets, coffee in the console, burn holes and skinny tires, then you will get skinny money.

Don't forget to let me know, or you might get a knock knock from the Posse ....

Terry.
  • Options
    ......... Great description, thanks .. Olympia.? don't you guys make beer there ...?

Ok we have a 00 SE Hoooonda 4dr, auto and a good color -and- we have (ugh) all those miles .. why don't you just buy your beer in cases instead of getting one at a time and piling up all those miles .? .. trade side, in and around the mid to high $6's, "maybe" the low low low low $7's ...

Terry.
  • Options
    ....... $16,2 .? .. Whoa you stole that puppy, I mean "flat" stole it .. Jesse James wore a mask ya know .l.o.l....

Terry.
  • Options
    driftracerdriftracer Member Posts: 2,448
    This was just posted over in the Oldsmobile thread in News & Views. I guess this person's opinions don't reflect what the market is doing?

"I will never buy a Japanese, German, Korean or other foreign car. All of my Oldsmobiles were built in the U.S.A.

I feel quite sorry for anyone wasting their time in cheap, common and unsafe imports that have no appeal whatsoever. In my opinion, if you are going to drive an import car, you're in the wrong country!"

Let's see, Oldsmobile is dead, and their values are tanking hard as we speak, right?
  • Options
    .... ** "that was ALL peso's and a Slurpy in O-town .... " **

American translation: you received the maximum amount of actual cash value for your trade in the Orlando region.

Terry ;-}
  • Options
    agt_cooperagt_cooper Member Posts: 202
    I guess this guy will be happily driving a Chevy Equinox soon, thinking "Yes, I'm driving an American car!!!".

Of course, the transmission in that vehicle will be made in Japan, the engine in China. God knows where all the other parts might come from! Someone needs to tell him there really is no such thing as an American car anymore.
  • Options
    driftracerdriftracer Member Posts: 2,448
    almost sounds like "Alero". Of course, they put a stop payment on the check on those things!!