Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Real-World Trade-In Values

Comments

• Options
    rroyce10rroyce10 Member Posts: 9,332
    ......... All things considered, Old's has been holding it's own as far as resale values are concerned, pretty good vehicles and probably the one of the biggest mistakes by GM, again.!

** feel quite sorry for anyone wasting their time in cheap, common and unsafe imports that have no appeal whatsoever. In my opinion, if you are going to drive an import car, you're in the wrong country!" ** ..

But this is just one of many crazy things that get posted, it's the same for the Honda or the Yota or the VW guys, or the Benz owners (pick any of them .l.o.l.) I had one Benz owner drop a 15,000 word post at me when I showed him "real $$" for a Benz, you would have thought I jumped his mother .. they ALL believe their vehicle is the best - just ask them. ........ :)

Terry.

ps: I wish I could make my words slant like his .. ho-hum I'm a computer illiterate ..
  • Options
    driftracerdriftracer Member Posts: 2,448
    lesson again - drop me an e-mail.
  • Options
    agt_cooperagt_cooper Member Posts: 202
    the letters look slanted!!!
  • Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,558
    over on the tires thread, the host gave a lesson on how to do subscripts.

Imagine Terry loose with italics, subscripts, and god only knows what else....

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    akanglakangl Member Posts: 3,281
    The Explorer was in the shop because the transmission was shifting weird, it would bump shift into 3rd, sometimes refuses to downshift, just in general not acting right. They all but accused me of trying to make a lemon law case and told me the truck was acting just fine. This is the service dept with the dealer where I bought the truck.

I went to the dealer closer to home yesterday and asked my favorite service advisor, I described what it was doing and he knew exactly what the problem was. I guess the computer for the tranmission has been a bit of a booger, they just replaced one in an 04 Explorer for the exact same symptoms. He said it won't leave me and just swing it by when its acting up and they will diagnose it, then replace the computer.

Guess I know where I won't be buying my next Ford.
  • Options
    I agree about the duct tape for my Dad, but hubby has been a good boy lately. His Ram dropped a tranny cooling line Sunday, body shop's fault, they fixed it Monday.

All this has got me worried, its been 5 years and probably 200k miles since my last oops (wasn't my fault, guy rearended me, less than $200 damage to my blazer). I figure I'm due.......*cringe*
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,409
    I have May 15th in the pool..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    Unless someone wrecks it for me, no way, I like my Explorer. It will turn 7000 miles today and is in despirate need of a bath (maybe next weekend, only wash it by hand).
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,409

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    frag235frag235 Member Posts: 81
    Thanks for the real-world quote! (the Edmunds calculator said approx 8400 for my car in good condition - maybe they will send me a check! ;D)

Anyway, I going to purchase an 04 Accord EX-L sedan 4-cyl soon (there's a demo w/3000 miles at my local dealer for a few hundred over - good deal?) and sell my old one to my mother...for a good price of course ;)

...Well they used to make beer here; the parent company closed down the local brewery last year...would have cost too much to make upgrades to the equipment for the (small) capacity of the facility I read :(
  • Options
    soccerchiccysoccerchiccy Member Posts: 2
    i currently have a silver 2000 passat Station wagon. it is a 1.8 turbo dual transmission, automatic, front wheel drive, four door, with moon roof and alloy wheels. how much should i get at trade in?
  • Options
    Need that little (or big) number called MILES, also the trim line (GL, GLS?) and where do you park that thing (i.e. what state/city).
  • Options
    lancerfixerlancerfixer Member Posts: 1,284
    I'd like to know what the $ add is for having a dual transmission...
  • Options
    gogyroswingogyroswin Member Posts: 4
    Thought I would try Terry on this one...sisters tired of the German thing. She cannot decide between dealer or PP...

1998 GL New Beetle
    Red Exterior
    Tan Cloth Interior
    Automatic
    VW Factory Alloys
    36k Miles
    (No heated seats or sunroof)

Other than a few fixable problems, someone tried to get the fog lights out while it was parked, it just needs a good detail.

Thoughts?
  • Options
    I think she meant the tiptronic, but I had to think about that one for a minute.
  • Options
    ........ Hmmm .. aahh .... well uh .. can't see ...

I must be getting a bad signal, because I'm looking at my Crystal ball and no matter how much I squint or shake it, I can't tell if it's a 3.0 ...... or a ..... 4.0 V6 ......

maybe you can just tell me ..?!?

Terry.
  • Options
    ....... Sounds like it could be a nice one ..

Right color anywhere, noooo miles, it's a XL with "ALL" the stuff, new round things and it's been serviced and garaged (bucket/bench seats.?) ... If ~ it's like brand newish, no repaints, no hinky dash glue on's, "factory" slider and leather (same as a XLS) - then trade side, in and around the high $9's, "could" "maybe" "might" see $10ish, I have a feeling the dealer doesn't know these cars and is looking at some book .. this one I would shop around.

This is the old body style, but still, Veeeery popular .. Me personally, off to Retail Rd .. you now the routine, super mop and glo, Blaster ad in the paper, service records tattooed to the dash, $13,900 *asking* and wave goodbye at the first $12,5/$13,5 .. properly done, this might take all of 5 days to get rid of, can't find em' and can't get em' like this - if it's everything you say it is ....

Let me know .....

Terry.
  • Options
    bogeyoneoparbogeyoneopar Member Posts: 4
    Sorry I forgot a most important detail. I drove a 3.0 once and thought I was going backwards so it must have slipped my mind.

Thanks for your help in advance!
  • Options
    larryd1larryd1 Member Posts: 2
    Terry, I am getting ready to sell my wife's 1999 Mitsubishi Montero and buy a new car. What do you think would be a good price to ask for the car from a dealership/private party?

Miles: 47,850
    1999 Mitsubishi Montero 4x4
    Headlight Washers
    Power Driver Seat
    Luggage Rack
    Heated Front Seats
    Power Moonroof
    Locking Differential
    Sport Suspension
    Keyless Entry System
    Alarm System
    Leather Seats
    Power Heated Mirrors
    AM/FM/CD Audio System
    10 Disc CD Changer

It is in very good condition. New brakes last month and added about $800 of tires during the winter.

Please let me know what you think a good offer on this vehicle would be.

Thanks.
  • Options
    soccerchiccysoccerchiccy Member Posts: 2
    hello again
    That silver 2000 Passat wagon is a GLS with the optional moonroof and upgraded wheels. It has 52000 miles on it and I live in Phila PA. Thank you.
  • Options
    dklaneckydklanecky Member Posts: 559
    Overall excellent condition, gold color exterior, tan interior, 58,000 miles, 90% tread left on second set of tires, 60,00 mile service done recently.

What's reasonable price on a trade in vs a private local sale in Southeastern Wisconsin?
  • Options
    hondacbrhondacbr Member Posts: 6
    Looking to purchase a 2001 or 2002 T&C LTD - what's the going trade-in? NW Indiana area. Also, have a 2001 Tahoe LS 4x4, Power Seats, Moonroof, CD, On-Star, no leather, no 3rd seat, tires good, 45K - what could I expect if traded?
  • Options
    maxximaxxi Member Posts: 3
    hello, I wanted to find out what I might look at getting in a trade in for my 1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ in good condition. The jeep has the following:

pearl blue SE, 4 cyl, 5 sp, hard top, am/fm stereo, sound bar, locking center console unit, neoprene car seats, smittybilt nerf bars, Hella 500 driving lights, 15 x 7 alloy American Racing rims, 1" spacer lift, borla catback w/sq. stainless steel tip, OME shocks, 90,200 mi.

Thank you for your help.
  • Options
    ...... Ya know, your right ..!

Terry.
  • Options
    ...... A few Hundred over is a good deal on anything, go for it ........ :)

Terry.
  • Options
    ...... A little red bug, how cute ...

The color is good for the model, miles are Xtra low, auto, wheels and a few little fixations (no repaints, deep rubber, etc) .. Depending on where you live - trade side, in and around the high $5's, maybe the low low $6's .. the miles and the auto saves this one.

Down the path to Retail Rd .. fix the stuff, great detail, superb ad, $8495 *asking* and do the pp dance at the first $7,5/$7,9 ...

Happy hunting ....!

Terry.
  • Options
    ......... Oookay, it's a 4.0 XLT 4x4 Ecab, no sale green, auto, bedliner, only 48k, new stoppers and a little meteorite hit to the tune of $750 ...

If it's a nice one, no click click in the 4wd, deep sneakers, interior looks 18k and 100% service .. then trade side, in and around the ultra high $8's low $9's, that little "kiss" will hold this one back .... down the curvy path to Retail Rd (with the kiss fixed) with a Picasso detail and a Donald Trump Ad, then $11,900 *asking* and somersault at the first $10,5/$11,5 .. the miles can help it and the hit can take it away, so be very reasonable and park the ego at the door.

Let me know how it goes ...

Terry.
  • Options
    steine13steine13 Member Posts: 2,818
    Terry et al.

(i) There's this '00 Tacoma 5sp reg at the street corner that I asked about. The seller is firm (ooh doggy) at $7; Terry hit it at "maybe" $6.

Update: I had my Vibe serviced and talked to the UC mgr for a few minutes... he said that a truck like that in this area would be a $6 RETAIL piece. I'm putting this out strictly for FIY, dunno what he knows.

Meanwhile, the local Toyota dealer has got the cousin in today's ad. $10,500 for a new '04 Taco reg cab 5sp ac radio. Everything but the alloys and the chrome. Mid-MI is a good area to buy new imports, I recon. Too bad the Mrs. doesn't want a Taco; she's TIG-welded to her Sienna :-(

(ii) " and do the pp dance at the first $7,5/$7,9 ... "
    I'll pay $20 for a video of Terry doing the pp dance. Who's in?

-Mathias
  • Options
    ........ Actually I try not to think, it causes me problems ...

Not a "Sport", right .?

This is another funny little critter, kinda like Troopers, either folks love them or they hate em', no in-between - actually pretty nice vehicles, they do a big business in the Mid-East and there all over the Islands "Mon" ... miles are low for the year, we have all the stuff, slider, heated leather, big cd sound, washers, all the stuff, plus new stoppers and round things ... trade side - depending on the dealer, in and around the mid to high $9's, might "maybe" see $10,0 if it's Jam-up puuurffect, no hits no runs no errors and it looks and drives like 20k, with 100% service and needs -0- ..

Down Retail Rd, great ad, great detail, service papers on the seats, $12,495 *asking* and be ready to grab the first $11/$12,0, it's not like everyone is looking for these ...

Don't forget to let me know on this one ..!

Terry.
  • Options
    dbgindydbgindy Member Posts: 351
    I'm in. I'll match your $20 and we'll split distribution rights... :-)

Duncan
  • Options
    ......... These little Tacoma's can do psycho money, for alot of different reasons .. mainly they work forever .. second, there is so few of them (50,0 production) it's "almost" like a baby lottery ticket, I mean they just don't depreciate after they reach X in miles and condition ..

I'm "always" on the hunt for a Reg cab or a Ecab Tacoma 4x4, - Reg cab 4banger 01's with miles in the 40/50kish range will do (are you holding on.?) - I have seen them do as high as the Tall $11's, throw a V6 Ecab in there, and lets all do the pp dance at the $17's, and thats up and down the East coast and just an hr from you, thats Tundra $$, getcha some of that - those Yota dealers clamor for them .......... usually I just scratch my head and wander away and look at the pretty little auction girl with the tight skirt. When Yota pumps up the production (if) then the prices will come down.

Terry ;^)
  • Options
    ....... ** I'm in. I'll match your $20 and we'll split distribution rights... :-) *** ......l..o..l.......
  • Options
    axiomowneraxiomowner Member Posts: 76
    Hi Terry,

Thank you for your help regarding my previous post at #17534. You stated high $11'S LOW $12'S on trade. The dealer won't budge beyond $10k. What should I ask/expect if I sell privately?

Again, 02 blond grey Axiom 2wd, black + tan interior. 24k miles. small door ding or two. deep rubber. Clean in and out. Located on Cape Cod MA.
  • Options
    ....... Can't get more than $10,0 ..? what type of dealer .? .. again, like the Troopers and the Montero's unless your in a Isuzu dealer or a well built large dealership, this might fall a little short, but not $1,5/$2grand short .l.o.l.. are you sure this little dude hasn't been smacked ..?

That being said, he can take this little wonder to any auction in your area and see $12,0 for it, I guess those in the Cape Cod area don't want to be bothered - (are you sure Ted Kennedy doesn't own this one and he and the UCar Mgr wasn't a little heavy into the Bourbon that day .?) ...

Anyway, down the glorious path to Retail Rd, super duper Big ad, wonderful Independent detail, $13,900 *asking*, then hop and skip when you see the first $12,5/$13,5 ...

Terry.
  • Options
    ................... Your killing me here ......

4 banger ....? V6 .... ? Special custom built V12 ..................?

I

N

F

O

Terry .. ugh.!

ps: read the post right above your last one ~ now thats a description .... got it.?
  • Options
    ....... Sounds nice, auto right.? .. 98 Honda 4dr EX V6, good color anywhere, low in the miles dept and high in the rubber dept, plus the 60k service is already done .. ya know, your my kind of person, except there is no such thing as "excellent" condition - unless, your driving a 04 TL with all the stuff and 3,000 miles .... so lets just say, it's in Great condition for the year ~ as long as there is no repaints, no I bounced off the Wendys sign and ended up at a Burger King drive thru ..

Trade side, in and around the mid to high $8's, "maybe" could see the $9 figure if all the planets are aligned with Pluto and you have less than 2" of snow on the ground .... down Retail Rd, amazing detail, superlative 5 liner ad in the biggest paper in cheesehead land, $10,900 *asking* and Muenster it away at $9,9/$10,5 .. remember, your in competition with every EX V6 from 97 and up, so park the ego and grab the cash .......... :)

Let me know the deal Lucille .....

Terry.
  • Options
    axiomowneraxiomowner Member Posts: 76
    Hi Terry,

Thanks Again! It was a high volume nicely built lincoln/mercury/mazda dealer. I was looking at a towncar. btw, it was smacked in the rear to the tune of $750 in cosmetic repairs. Even though it is fully repaired, could that explain the lowball? Am I forever doomed?
  • Options
    lancerfixerlancerfixer Member Posts: 1,284
    In her first post, soccerchiccy said it was a 1.8T (presumable with the tip...I think akangl's right when she guessed that's what "dual transmission" meant, unless soccer carries around a bunch of spare parts, which with a VW isn't a bad idea.) :-)
  • Options
    explrsportexplrsport Member Posts: 34
    2001 BMW M5, 43k miles, dark blue. Nav, chrome M wheels. Very good to excellent condition....New Pilot Sport tires and brakes. 6-speed, southern CA.
  • Options
    mikefm58mikefm58 Member Posts: 2,882
    I just left the Toyota dealership trying to work a deal on a 2004 Highlander that was marked down to $21K. My problem was that they only offered $8500 for my 2001 Accord LX 4 cyl. with 22500 miles. It's up to date on all it's maintenance, just had the brakes done yesterday (ouch), and has it's original tires which have about 50% tread left. Priced on Edmunds it has a trade-in of between $11.5K - $12.2K depending on how they rate the condition. The more I think about it, the more I feel like they slapped my face with such a low ball trade-in. Is $8.5K unrealistic for a trade-in?
  • Options
    sweetv12sweetv12 Member Posts: 58
    Terry, friend is looking for a late model s430 - preferably brilliant or smoke silver - as loaded as possible - what are the going trade/auction/retail #s please? BTW, for what its worth, buyer is on the west coast...thanks...
  • Options
    steine13steine13 Member Posts: 2,818
    Go back tomorrow, do the deal on the HL, borrow money from your aunt or a 0% credit card, whatever you have to do, and pay off the loan on the Honda the same day.

Then sell the 01 Accord on the street. $8,500??? With no miles? I don't know or care what the "books" say, that ought to be a no-brainer to sell on the street for $10 in a weekend and for $11,5 in 20 days...

Anything wrong with it? Paint work? Smoked in? Dogs? 5sp? Even that shouldn't be that big a deal on a Honda...

-Mathias
  • Options
    ........ Oh great .. you just kinda left out that minor little implosion of $750 off the radar screen, like no one would notice .l.o.l.. guess what, they noticed.

I gotta feeling that the dealer picked it up and thats why your seeing $10, especially if he's a bigger dealer and see's lincoln/mercury/mazda and various other products ... you know what they say: you can't fool Mother Nature.

If you go down Retail Rd, you need to throttle back the figures a little to cover the damage, $12,500 *asking* and send it south for the first $11/$12,0 ... $750 on a Isuzu is like $3grand on a Lincoln.

Terry.
  • Options
    mikefm58mikefm58 Member Posts: 2,882
    My Accord is an auto. and in excellent condition, no dogs, smokers, maybe a ding or two on the paint but barely noticeable. I see on autotrade dot com, there's 5 vehicles that are almost identical to my Accord. The asking prices are $12700-$14999. I'd be an idiot to give them my Accord for $8.5K. But I do agree with you that the price of the Highlander is outstanding. However we never got to the financing and I'm quite sure there's a "dealer fee" on top of the $21K.
  • Options
    romy4romy4 Member Posts: 17
    Located in Northeastern PA. It is wintergreen with auto, cold weather pkg, auto dimming mirror w/compass, security upgrade and cargo net. It has 9,300 miles, has been dealer serviced, very clean, no accidents, no smokers, barely broken in. Looking for trade-in value. The books seem to range from $14,5 to $16,5. It this about right?.....Thanks
  • Options
    bogeyoneoparbogeyoneopar Member Posts: 4
    I guess at those numbers I will get it fixed and try to sell it. Although, I'm not sure a Donald Trump ad will work in rural VT. But I've got nothing to lose. It'll need a detail anyway after mud season! Thanks Again!
  • Options
    ....... Glad I could help, let me know how it goes ....

Terry.
  • Options
    ....... Tough one ...? .. there's nothing tuff about yours .. now, if it was one of Aka's fine pre-owned vehicles with the extra 57lbs of bondo and the 33lbs of paint and living in the land of "no ones home", now that is tuff ....

01 BMW "M5", with the miles in the 45k range, no-sale blue, nav, chromee's, new stoppers and sneakers, plus we have the meat clever .....

It's gotta be nice, clean, no paint by numbers, seats look hovered in, all the service from yesterday .... depending on the dealer, trade side in SCal - in and around the $44/$45ish range, thats if it needs -0- ...

Let me know .....

Terry.
  • Options
    **** now, if it was one of Aka's fine pre-owned vehicles with the extra 57lbs of bondo and the 33lbs of paint and living in the land of "no ones home", now that is tuff****

Hmmm, um, not sure how to take that one. I know my present vehicle will NEVER see paintwork or bondo....cause hubby don't drive it, my dad is ordered to stay away from it, and during a windstorm I go outside and move it away from the house at 2 am. Now that I've said that someone will smack it at the next intersection I'm at. Poor little truck is closing in on 7500 miles very quickly.

On another note, little one is hopefully getting out of here on Wednesday. I'm sure she's ready to go home, I know I am.
  • Options
    acorbyacorby Member Posts: 14
    Dealer here in Denver has an 04 GLX 4 Motion Passat black in color - automatic on the showroom floor with 4,000 miles on the clock - Finance guy has been driving it. MSRP is $32,300, invoice is $29,952 and there is $2,000 dealer cash on the car. It is essentially a used car now, but they are asking new car money - window sale tag shows $31,000!?!

Don't need financing or lease, buing straight up. What do I offer?