Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Real-World Trade-In Values

Comments

• Options
    akanglakangl Member Posts: 3,281
    I feel your pain, I could never get used to FWD, I like my RWD SUV (like the 4WD too). I looked at a Pontiac Vibe and tried hard to make myself like it, but couldn't, just didn't blow my skirt up (as my salesman would say).

However, along with my love of the SUV is the horrible gas mileage. I spend about $300/mo on gas alone for just my truck. Hubby's V10 is another $200/mo (he drives a lot less than me).

Ah well, hopefully you will find something that toots your horn. Good luck.
  • Options
    thelthel Member Posts: 767
    or so I hear, but they are scarce in my neck of the woods.

I may test drive a Wrangler soon, but I don't see how I can afford one anytime soon...those things really hold their value around here. Local used car lot has an orange/copper 2001 Sport (I6 4.0L engine) with a 5-speed and 31,000 miles. He's aking $15,900. According to Edmunds, a similarly equipped 04 has a TMV of about $19,500!
  • Options
    tblazer503tblazer503 Member Posts: 620
    Hey terry, kinda curious how I did here...

Traded 2003 Honda Accord EX 4dr 5MT 2.4L I4 w/16k miles.
    Interior: fair(been smoked in, had some cherry burns)
    Exterior: fair(both bumpers had some minor paint damage, probably needed repaint/repair, alloys got damaged from the cables this winter, some rock chips)
    Converted back all stock.
    Gave me 15,5 for my car on a trade. Owed 17,8

Aquired: 2004 Acura TSX w/ Navi. Graphite... or something like that... that dark gray silver color. Out the door cost for the deal was financing 29,500 financed and 1400 downpayment. Included the tax, title(~300) and the protection package(all weather mats and wheel locks for like $200)...

I'm thinking it was a better than average deal, just curious what you think about it.
  • Options
    chile96chile96 Member Posts: 330
    Pretty sad that NOW I won't buy a pre-owned car without Terry's blessing! :) I've become too dependent on him. Hope you're hitting 'em straight

take care
    frank
  • Options
    rroyce10rroyce10 Member Posts: 9,332
    .......... I remember that LS, and the one behind it is your Dads .l.o.l...

It's almost "thee" (white pearl being #1) right color in your area, I know you take care of your stuff, and this one has nooo miles at 40k .. it's going to have a scratch here and there, but whether you decide to trade or Retail it, a great detail makes you $$ ..

Trade side in and around the super high $20,0 figure, will probably see $21 because of the low low miles .. down the land of the Buckeyes is a little street called Retail Rd, finish any service work, a super detail, a Superb 5 liner big Fat Daddy ad in the paper, $24,900 *asking* and off it goes for the first $23,5/$24,5 ..

Spring is real close up there, I bet you won't have this a week with a great ad, I was just up there on Tuesday and Clean 40k 99's are ultra hard to find, whether it be a LS, ES, GS, RX, LX or a POS .....

The Honda is a pretty nice little vehicle for the $$ .. me personally, I would get the little stuff fixed .. "most" buyers have little knowledge on even who to call, let alone the brain damage they "think" they will incur, so don't give them a reason to pass, fix-it ... $3,900 *asking* and you should see $3,500, $3,300 on a quick sale, $3,0 if they have "instant immediate" CASH ........... :)

Let me know which way the wind blows ...

Terry.
  • Options
    .......... You did fine .. he hit you at dead average, a very fair price minus the miles and the meat clever, exactly where I would want to be .....

Terry.
  • Options
    ......... Would the mileage on one of them be like 32,120 ... l.o.l....

The dealer paid "around" $18 for em' .. add the auction fee's, transport, a little service, detail and it probably hits the table at $18,9ish .. he has to make a profit, so figure $21ish, maybe a little less ....

Let me know .....

Terry.
  • Options
    ........... Thanks for all the breakdown on the prices, good post .... by the way, you did real good at $6,700 ............. :)

Terry.
  • Options
  • Options
    qwallsqwalls Member Posts: 406
    KBB actually wasn't too far off on trade-in value on the LS. My wife decided she likes the Toyota Sienna, so time to begin the search for a good deal. I'll probably wait a while on something (TL maybe) for myself since the Sienna will be a bit more expensive than the MPV. I also figure I'll pay off the LS faster than the value drops, so I won't be any worse off in a year when it's paid off. I told the guy who wants the Honda around $3500, and told him everything that was wrong, so he'll dance all the way to the bank if I tell him $3250 as is. I'll let you know. As usual, THANKS!!! - Q
  • Options
    ........... LE with the V6 and 17k .....? and asking $21ish ... ?

Thats because if you look in the trunk, there is a brand new Corum in there .l.o.l........ let's say the dealer fell down and hit his head, or he's losing big with the final 4, or he has 3 wives, he might "could" "maybe" have $17 in it .. you should be able to purchase it for $19 or less, especially since it needs round things at 17k .....

Terry.
  • Options
    .......... He asking $62,900 ....?

Seems fair if it's "glows" in the dark and it's puuuurfect .. there doing in and around the ultra high $59ish figure, low $60's at the auctions .. that being said, they will start to "heat up" in the next 20/50 days because of the spring action and dealers won't be afraid to stock them and hold-out for $65/$69 .. Left Coasters pay Big monies for these ....

I hope this helps .....

Terry.
  • Options
    dbgindydbgindy Member Posts: 351
    Where's your T- shirt? Heck for all you do on these boards I'm wondering where your stock options are...... :-)

Duncan
  • Options
    .......... No wonder he ran off to the bank .l.o.l.. a Clean low miler rwd in FL ..

It has low miles, (hopefully) cold breeze, if the paint is nice and not all burned off, nice interior, no rust, deep sneakers, it's probably worth almost $3,0 on a trade ... don't tell him this, but with a proper ad he could have probably got $4,5/$4,9 for it ....

Terry ;-)
  • Options
    ......... Thank goodness I have my K-Mart stock or I would be in trouble ............

Terry.
  • Options
    ......... Your welcome ....

Terry.
  • Options
    oacoac Member Posts: 1,594
    My repost here

oac Mar 24, 2004 3:57pm

BTW, thanks stickguy for the advice. Truly appreciated. Now how 'bout the oracle ?
  • Options
    ddeliseddelise Member Posts: 353
    Hi Terry -

Dealer in Connecticut has the following on his lot:

2002 Lexus GS 300
    Silver
    Auto
    Sport Edition/Package
    Rear Spoiler
    6 Disc Changer
    Heated Seats
    16" Black Chrome Wheels
    Black Walnut interior trim.

Car has 20,000 miles, and is in overall very nice condition. No accidents, no scrapes, no scratches, leather is nice, no smoker. Was registered as new in Jan. 03 - so only been on the road for little over 1 year, which means warranty is good until Jan 07.

Dealer is asking $34.5.

What do you think is a fair price to offer?

Thanks so much for your help!

Damon
  • Options
    tsbusinesstsbusiness Member Posts: 2
    I am looking for a 2001 or 2002 Honda Accord EX V6 with 35K or less miles. I have talked to a car broker via telephone who found 28 Honda 2001s matching my criteria at a Chicago dealer auction he is going to attend (I do not live in the Chicago area).

Can anyone tell me what the going rate (or price range) for these Accord EX V6s at an auction?

How much profit is normal for a broker in this situation?

Are auction price results available to me at an Internet site or in some publication?

I have always taken a used car I am interested in purchasing to my mechanic for a thorough inspection. The broker thought the car I was looking for would be reliable (2001 Honda under 35K miles etc) and with his 30 years of experience he could tell if the car had problems by his on-site inspection and written details given at the auction for each car. Any comments are welcome.
  • Options
    hondacbrhondacbr Member Posts: 6
    Terry - could use your help on a real-world trade in value for my 2001 Tahoe. LS, pretty much loaded up w/o leather or third seat. But very clean, power moonroof, power seats, on-star, CD, etc. Chicagoland area.
  • Options
    dbgindydbgindy Member Posts: 351
    Terry will need miles, condition of tires, 2WD or 4WD,etc...

Duncan
  • Options
    .......... Without seeing the damage and without seeing what type of Picasso you "think" you are .. trade side, in and around the $10's because of the damage and the high miles ... down Retail Rd, $13,495 *asking* and let it slide away at the first $12/$13,0 figure .........

Just let me say: that going for a vehicle that will save you gas money is a LARGE expense, new taxes, more financing, plates, stuff like that, plus your driving a vehicle that gets pretty good gas mileage now ... I'm thinkin' you should break even in the year 2011, give or take a year .............. :)

Terry.
  • Options
    ............. 15 months and 20k ...?

It's got the Bun warmers, spoiler, (no Nav.?) all the cute little do-dads ... $34,5 ..? .. he asking the "Moon" for it, probably has the $28ish range in it .. certified.? .. $31,9 or less is fair for both ... $34,500 .....? .. thats a great price if your from Haiti and your looking for a palace driver ..

Terry.
  • Options
    Thanks Terry for the quick response. I am negotiating the deal this weekend - and will post you the results.

While I have your attention...

See next post
  • Options
    ......... 01 EX's with miles in the 30kish range are doing in and around the ultra high $13's, low mid $14's .. 02's with 30kish are doing "around" the $15ish low $16's in the Chi-Town auctions .....

Whats a fair price ..? .. thats kinda between you and the dealer don't you think ..? .. especially since he's putting in the task to find it, pay for it, pay all the fee's and transport upfront .. what do you think is a fair price .?

Also, he will probably have the vehicle run thru the auction service, instead of getting some hinky opinion from "Saddam the mechanic" after putting out his cash .. if ya know what I mean.

And no, auctions reports are dealer information ....

Terry.
  • Options
       ....... ** While I have your attention... **

** See next post **

The next post is my post ....................

So, whats the secret .......?

Terry.
  • Options
    Ok - and here is what I want to trade in for the 2002 Lexus GS.

1995 BWM M3 - White
    Black leather interior.
    Heated seats.
    No CD.
    Power moonroof.
    Not many other options I don't think.

Has 77,000 miles. All services up to date, and most done by a BWM dealer.

Tires have 10k on them , but are still in good shape.

Overall, car is nice. Only issue...

(3 years ago)was that while being transported in a car hauler from FL to CT, the car hauler caused a little bit of paint damage - the hood and roof were pelted continuously for 1000 miles from upper level chains that were not stowed correctly - think SEVERE hail storm damage. Also, hydrolic lift crunched the truck. After a long battle, car hauler company agreed to pay for damages which were - whole car repainted, and truck and hood replaced. Everything (including paint) done by BWM. As a result, the car looks brand new... (dealer knows this story already).

So, what say you on trade in on this BWM?

Thaks Much
  • Options
    .......... I know what a BM is, but what the heck is a BWM ........?!?

Is that like a Caddletrack ..?

Terry.
  • Options
    Sorry about that - got a new keyboard yesterday.

Just realized that the W and M are transposed...

Back to BigLots it goes...

Damon
  • Options
    ........... Who the heck was the transport company .. the Marquis De' Sade ..?!? .. I gotta make sure I never use them guys, what a nightmare ..!

M3's have to be "jam-up" puuuurfect, glow in the dark, cleaner than the Board of Health and "twice as sanitary" to get any money ...!! .. unfortunately yours has had a little Taliban action and a lot of paint by numbers .. whats it worth.? .. gheez, without seeing it, maybe in and around the $6/$7/$8,0 region .. if it was a nice one it would be worth "around" the $12/$13 range .....

If I were you ~ this pup would go right down Retail Rd, great detail, wonderful Ad, complete service records on the front seat -and- a "full" explanation to the potential buyer when he "gets there" -with all that paper work that goes with- ..... $12,900 *asking* and grab the first $11/$12 .. Bimmer buyers are a little "hinky" so park your ego and take $10 if thats the attitude on the Retail Side ..... paint work and Bimmers is like mustard on Filet Mignon, it kills the taste ................. ;-)

Good luck and let me know ...

Terry.
  • Options
    cusafrcusafr Member Posts: 184
    Terry: Have a chance to buy a 1994 Toyota P/U Truck. It is in West Texas, Red, Regular Cab, 2-WD, has only 55,000 miles on it and it is a 2.4L 4-cyl. engine, floor shift. It looks in pretty good shape, no damage, a few dings here and there.

Private sale from a friend. What would be fair to both?

Thanks,

CUSAFR
  • Options
    ......... Base Toyota (not DX) little pick-me-up .. handshaker with low miles, I'm guessing no air right.? no ps ...

If we have no rust, no bondo babies, service is all there, semi-good tires, it's worth $3,5ish *asking* if it's a nice little truck ..... fair for both .? .. between $2,500 and $3,500, so figure $2,900(?) it depends on how good of friends you are ..... ;-)

Terry.
  • Options
    lancerfixerlancerfixer Member Posts: 1,284
    Re-repost...

'99 Volvo S70 T-5, auto.
    60k, cold weather pack, Dolby stereo (the one with the big center dash speaker,) CD changer, trip computer, service records to 45k.
    Bright red over tan leather...both about as perfect as can be expected out of a '99. Been on the local car lot for a couple months now, and they just dropped the asking to $13,995. Whatya think a good price'd be, and how do you suggest I go about convincing Mrs. Lance that a car payment is better than continuing to sink $ in a 15 year old car? :-)

Thanks.
  • Options
    oacoac Member Posts: 1,594
    How many times have you heard that before ? A zillion maybe.... But, really, thanks. I have convinced the missus that we should stick with the Trix, especially since everyone needing a Prius has to get on this waiting list, which just ain't doing it for me.

But your retail number on the Trix is quite interesting. I paid $14,9 for it 10 months ago, and after adding 15K miles in 10 months, it can still fetch in the range of $12-13K on the street. Wow !
  • Options
    crazybabydoccrazybabydoc Member Posts: 32
    Here's a challenge, Terry.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item- =2465161426

I'm interested in this ride and since he's in NC I may pay him a visit.

2004 TSX manual w/ Nav and Aero kit
    4500mi
    Milano Red

It's been a rough winter for NC but the damage this guy is describing to the paint is probably no big deal to the typical buyer but I bet the dealer is offering him a REALLY bad trade-in.
  • Options
    corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,269
    2002 Nissan Altima 2.5 S with 37,000 miles. Automatic, leather steering wheel (cloth seats), RARE ABS and side head/chest airbags (six total), trip computer, auto headlamps, alloy wheels, power driver's seat, alarm, and steering wheel radio controls. White with grey guts. Runs and drives 100%, but the cosmetic condition is worse than it would be if I had owned it since new. It's by no means in bad shape, though. I had some swirls wetsanded out when I got the car, and had $1000 in cosmetic damage repaired on the right side. The repairs are only apparant on very close inspection. Interior is clean with a couple of repaired spots in the cloth. Overall, I would say it's in clean condition, but not excellent. Wheels show no curb rash, and the tires are 6/32 in the front, more like 4/32 in the rear. I'm in the central Kentucky area and have a couple of friends who might be interested in the car, because it's been very reliable, just not my style. If they don't buy, I will probably go back to CarMax. Edmund's has $11,507 trade-in, $12,561 as private party, and $14,516 dealer retail.
  • Options
    ........ ** Here's a challenge .. **

Why is this a challenge .? .. the 05's are starting to roll thru the auctions already .l.o.l..

For starters, this guy writes a horrible Ad ... he should have spent more time getting a quality detail and getting the swirls out of the paint, he should also have spent less time with the long winded "squeaky story" and more time with some really good pics and had it shot at better and lower angles instead of his story of how cool he thinks he is .....

But anyway, low miles, the color is kinda ok, certainly not a door-buster and it's got the nav, the 6-speed and the kit .. their going thru the auctions for "around" the $24/$25ish range with 4/5/6K and being sold by the dealers for the $27/$28ish range ...... Good vehicles, not a TL, but nice vehicles so it's worth whatever it's worth to you, the 2 biggest enemies here will be the color and the handshaker.

Terry.
  • Options
    driftracerdriftracer Member Posts: 2,448
    from that ebay ad -

"THIS CAR WAS BOUGHT NEW BY ME, THE END USER!"

Well, duh, it's only got 4800 miles on it!

"I have sold several motorcycles on eBay, including a Ducati 916, an MV Agusta F4S, a BMW R1100S and a Honda ST1100"

That's one cool guy.

"I am a surgeon in Franklin NC in private practice for 15 years and have a reputation to uphold."

Check me out, I'm a DOCTOR, no a SURGEON...

Luckily, after double-billing the insurance company, Blue Cross can't whack his ebay feedback. I've learned, through trial and error, that one's career position and position on the social ladder doesn't reflect directly on one's character.

"NOW HAVE A FEW BEERS AND START HITTING THAT BID BUTTON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

That's the first time I've ever seen a seller encourage a bidder to bid under the influence!

And....HORRIBLE photos.
  • Options
    ..... ** That's the first time I've ever seen a seller encourage a bidder to bid under the influence! ** ...... .l.o.l...

Terry.
  • Options
    OK I should have known it would not be a challenge for YOU.

"For starters, this guy writes a horrible Ad ... he should have spent more time getting a quality detail and getting the swirls out of the paint, he should also have spent less time with the long winded "squeaky story" and more time with some really good pics and had it shot at better and lower angles instead of his story of how cool he thinks he is ....."

He's a surgeon. It doesn't matter what your eyes tell you. The most important thing in the world is whatever comes out of his mouth. Admittedly, I'm an MD as well. The TSX is getting mad props as the vehicle of choice for those of us that don't want a BMW . . . b/c we cannot afford a good BMW.
  • Options
    ........ Sounds like the dealer might be a little "hung" in this one .. probably-maybe has the ultra high $11's, low $12's in it if he has had since the Super Bowl .... miles are right, color is good .. I would think $12,9ish would get it home, just make sure the 60k has been done ......

Terry.
  • Options
    ........ I don't know if I understand your post .. I really like Acura's, soooo I wasn't knocking the vehicle .. also I might add, that an Acura will be humming down the road when the BMW will be in the shop for it's $3,800 air conditioner .... or am I missing something here ..?

Terry.
  • Options
    My comment was directed at the surgeon. He didn't post more (or better) pictures b/c it doesn't matter. He told you everything you need to know:
    1) I'm a surgeon.
    2) I've got mad toys.
    3) Buy my leftovers b/c nobody has leftovers as good as my leftovers.
  • Options
    steine13steine13 Member Posts: 2,818
    MD, eh? You're obviously the oddball, because most of them start every sentence with "I'm a physician..." and go from there...

Maybe I can use some of that... "I'm a Bavarian goatherder" has a nice ring to it, don't it?

I think there's agreement among all concerned that
    -BMW's are nice but they ain't no Hondas, mechanically speaking
    -Acuras are nice AND they run forever, even without the cachet and the RWD [buy & drive what YOU like]
    -And the seller of this one is a flake.

Mathias
    East Lansing, MI
  • Options
       .... Duh, sorry had a blonde moment .. my head is still clogged up from all that yankee weather from last week ...

1) I'm a surgeon.
    2) I've got mad toys.
    3) Buy my leftovers b/c nobody has leftovers as good as my leftovers.

** Maybe I can use some of that... "I'm a Bavarian goatherder" has a nice ring to it, don't it? **

Terry ;^}
  • Options
    ......... Your welcome and I'm glad I could help ....

Terry.
  • Options
    .......... Great description, thanks ..

Color is good, miles are bad, painted color is even worse, it's an "S", we have a little ABS action, we have the side balloons, auto .. trade side in and around the $12's, probably the low $12's ... and off it to your friends for $13,5ish ..

Terry.
  • Options
    Thanks, Terry. I'm beating my head against the wall here, but I have a hankering for something German.
  • Options
    ...... How about, just ho-hum ... ?

Does that work for ya ..?

Terry.
  • Options
    ...in any case, I can't complain. The reason I've been cursing myself is for wanting another Euro car, not because of the high mileage Altima. Life's too short to spend a lot of it waiting for Teutonic mechanicals to be repaired, but also too short to spend it in a car with the personality of a toaster.