Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

Real-World Trade-In Values

Comments

• Options
    bwbbwb Member Posts: 12
    Hey Gurus
    Hope all is well. About to let go of our work horse.
    1988 Ford 350XLT
    90K total miles
    4 door crew cab
    8 foot bed
    diesel
    banks turbo
    after market package with lights, side steps etc.
    10,000 pound towing bumper, after market.
    after market exhaust and wheels
    duelly
    paint is in good shape (no oxidation, no rust etc.)
    Appreciate your opinion on real world value.
    Thanks in advance.
  • Options
    taterhearttaterheart Member Posts: 12
    Hi Terry,

I'm a rookie used car buyer.
    A Private owner is selling a 2000 BMW 323Cic convertible
    27K miles
    Steptronic
    Steel Blue/Grey leather
    Premium package
    Heated seats
    Premium audio
    Just detailed, clean engine, excellent condition, small half dime sized paint chip on upper door, owner says it will cost $300 to fix.

Owner is asking $30.5K, Edmunds says $24-25K Private party value, KBB has $27.8-29.2K Private party value. Why the big $4K discrepancy between KBB and Edmunds?

And what should I offer to buy this car? I was thinking $24.5K
  • Options
    rroyce10rroyce10 Member Posts: 9,332
    ....... Whats a "california roof" ...?

Terry.
  • Options
    ddeliseddelise Member Posts: 353
    Sorry Terry -

2WD

How about a 2003 Rendezvous (sp) CXL.
    In FL, Cappuccino Frost (love the colors these days), FWD, 16,000 miles.
    Leather, Captains Chairs, Third Row Seat, Power Everything. No sunroof, no DVD, no Navi, no chrome wheels.

What is a trade-in value, dealer retail on this puppy???
  • Options
    ...... I hafta admit, Buick has some very cool colors .. probably the best on the market right now, maybe Acura, Caddy and Benz should drop a few out and see how they do, I bet the new TL would look great in: Cappuccino Frost ...

FWD, 16k, CXL, leather and the 3rd seat, no-paint work, no alligator kisses ... trade side, depending on the dealer, in and around the ultra high $14's low low $15's ... down Retail Rd, $17,9 *asking* and $16,5/$17,5 sends off to a better place ...

Terry.
  • Options
    ........ 55,000 miles on a 03 ...? .. Yeeeow.!.. this must be "miler month" - must be a California vehicle ..

Lets say it's super clean, tires from yesterday, service was done a week ago, no runs no hits no errors, no science experiments on the interior, no paint, seats look hovered in .. trade side, in and around the $25ish figure, maybe a little more because it's a Left Coaster ...

Wow, 55k ...

Terry.
  • Options
    chile96chile96 Member Posts: 330
    I knew I did pretty darn good on the Boxster sale and last night picked up the 911 ('03 C2) with 7k on the clock for $62K I had it checked out by Porsche Greenville and not a thing wrong with it. Oh yeah, when we got back to Atlanta from Greenville late last night, my girlfriend of 5 yrs was a little upset with me spending all this $$$ on a car and not a ring so I surprised her and proposed a little before midnight. The answer was YES and now I REALLY can't wipe that smile off of my face

thanks for everything
    frank
  • Options
    ....... 2wd ....? .. 4wd ...?

Auto .....? .. how about a little better description ...

Terry.
  • Options
    ........ You did excellent on the Boxster and you did even better on the C2 ... I don't know how well you did on the proposal though - I think I would have just replaced the whole fleet ..l.o.l.....

Terry.
  • Options
    corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,298
    >>>Whats a "california roof" ...?<<<

I remember those. Large soft-top sunroof-type thingee. Bigger and more $$$ than the regular sunroof.
  • Options
    ...... ** Owner is asking $30.5K, Edmunds says $24-25K Private party value, KBB has $27.8-29.2K Private party value. Why the big $4K discrepancy between KBB and Edmunds? **

Believe me, I have no idea where they get their info .. I think the biggest problem is, they don't have any idea how miles "really" effect certain vehicles or the "real" market .. a high mileage (or in this case a low miler) Bimmer doesn't stand the test like a high mileage Lexus and vice versa, also they don't take in affect the area of the country, color, options and Edmunds gives big points for "certified" vehicles, sometimes they can be off by: just like you said, *the big $4K discrepancy* ... I dunno my friend.

Anyway, you can try $24,5 and see what happens, but don't blow it .. cuz, I have a feeling it will probably take $27/$28ish to get it home .. any dealer on the Left Coast will pump $24/$25,0 in a NYsecond in it and sell it for $28/$29 ~ "IF" it's as clean as say it is .. looow miles and spring is busting open all over the north end of the Mason-Dixon line ....

This has my interest, so don't forget to let me know ....

Terry.
  • Options
    ddeliseddelise Member Posts: 353
    Thanks Terri for the info.

I am seriously considering one of these for my wife (and we are only 32 - Buick should give it to us for free and put us in their ads!).

But the depreciation is killing me. CXL with those goodies would MSRP for $34k (at least). Buy at invoice = $31k - $3k in rebates - $1k in 'extra' rebates they are always throwing around = $27k. Add tax, dealer fee, etc you are OTD for $29k.

Drive it for 16 months - make a wrong turn, get lost on Retail Road - and get only $17k?!?! Wow - 50% off of MSRP, 42% or so off of selling price. That is some steep depreciation anyway you look at it.

I am looking at leasing ($33k RDV CXL). The dealership is offering a 48 month lease - 12k miles/yr. $0 out of pocket. 1st month payment paid. 47 payments of $366+tax. 43% residual - after 4 years, not 1 1/2! This includes a $1500 lease incentive which dropped the Cap Cost.

Then I have GM Card funny money that will bring about $70 month off of the price - $295/300+tax.

I really want to use the funny money, but I guess I am going to have to seriously consider a used one.

Thoughts/Advice???

Thanks - Damon
  • Options
    kangekange Member Posts: 11
    Corvette got it right. Basically a larger sunroof. Anyway, this car doesn't have it. Any idea on what to expect for trade in?
  • Options
    ....... I'm not a big fan of leasing, and certainly not a fan of any lease that is longer than 36 months, so I don't know what to tell ya there .. the miles and the "time" works against most folks.

I agree, their pricing is way out of wack .. my feeling is, their AWD with ALL the stuff shouldn't have an MSRP of more than $30grand instead of $39, but they don't call me anymore because I don't agree with the pricing .l.o.l.. it's a tuff market and very competitive ...

Terry.
  • Options
    dbgindydbgindy Member Posts: 351
    Congrats on both your purchase and your engagement! Just remember my mantra that I tell men to repeat to themselves that leads to a happy married life. " I was wrong before I got out of bed this morning." Once you ingrain that into your psyche you will be home free. :-)

Seriously I wish you a long happy relationship with both high mainentence items.........

Duncan
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 239,125
    You can find out a lot on a used BMW by getting the VIN#, and going to the service department at a dealer. They can tell you every dealer repair, warranty issue or service that car has had. Since it is an '00 model, I'd ask the in-service date as well. If it was sold in the summer, it would still have a few months of warranty left, which would come in handy, should you discover a problem right away.

Most BMW afficianados consider the '00 model to be superior to the '01 model. If you are seriously in the market for that type of car, and it is as nice as it sounds, don't lose it over $1k-$2K. If you keep driving it at a rate of 10k miles per year, it will hold its value better than any other car you could buy in that price range.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    romy4romy4 Member Posts: 17
    I'm looking for reasonable trade in value for this car. It has the following options: auto, all weather pkg, security system upgrade, auto dimming mirror, and cargo net. The color is wintergreen and it has less than 10K on the odometer. Oil changed every 3K, dealer serviced, very clean.

Since I now have to transport a mobility impaired elderly parent out and about, I'm looking for something with easier access... probably a minivan ugh!

Thanks in advance for your help. Oh almost forgot, I'm in NE PA.
  • Options
    fkozilfkozil Member Posts: 65
    The following article was printed in several New Jersey newspapers today.

I know the article is long but please take the time to read it!

(Newark, NJ) AP Posting
    The FBI arrested 17 people yesterday and charged them with rolling back the odometers on thousands of cars, then reselling the vehicles for more than they were worth, scamming car dealerships out of more than $7.5 million.

In raids dubbed "Operation Rollback," FBI agents capped a 15-month investigation by arresting suspects in New Jersey, New York and Maryland.

The case began when a Bloomfield, NJ auto dealership told local police that 45 cars on its lot were discovered to have had their odometers tampered with.

Authorities said the ring bought more than 1,000 vehicles from public auctions in New Jersey, Maryland, Pennsylvania and Tennessee. After the odometer tampering, the vehicles were resold to dealers and individual buyers.

If the vehicles odometer was an older style, ring members would alter the mileage reading manually using a small instrument similar to a screwdriver.

If the odometer was a newer digital version, the vehicle would be taken to a Brooklyn, NY auto glass business where ring members would use laptop computers with software applications that could roll back the mileage reading, authorities said.

To complete the scheme, the ring altered vehicle titles to reflect the lower mileage readings. Two ring members known as "artists" were responsible for altering title documents by scraping the original mileage figure off the paper using a pen knife and acetone, then writing the new mileage figure on the document.

Among the examples of fraud cited in court papers, a 2000 Buick Century was sold to someone in Staten Island, NY with an odometer reading of 20,296 miles, when the vehicle had actually been driven 70,296 miles.

In another case, a Ford F250 picku truck was sold in New Jersey with an odometer reading of 51,000 miles, when the truck had actually been driven 150,145 miles.

Additional arrests are expected, authorities said.
  • Options
    jlawrence01jlawrence01 Member Posts: 1,757
    If the states wanted to make odometer rolling less common, they would require that you provide an odometer reading at the time of registration. Obviously, that would not PREVENT someone from underreporting miles and rolling back the odometer but it would make it easier to detect especially when a car is being flipped.
  • Options
    dehartmedehartme Member Posts: 3
    In process of buying new 2004 Ford Escape.
    Currently own 2001 Ford Escape, mileage=70,980
      XLS Value Fwd 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl)
      power steering/brakes, cruise, CD/radio, F/R airbags, luggage rack, keyless entry, no alarm, manual transmission, all tires same(new), excellent condition, no rust

dealer wants $6,000!!!

need suggestion for trade-in price

thanks.
  • Options
    Or not, but in Kentucky you have to have an inspection done at the county sheriff's office if you bring in a car from out of state. Mileage is noted at that time. If they required that every year on every car, it would be a lot of paperwork. Not saying it wouldn't be a good idea though, kind of like retesting every driver every year!
  • Options
    Is this in Corpus Christi, Texas?
  • Options
    I believe the mileage is required to be attested to in Kentucky every time ownership changes.. Even with an in-state transfer.. But, the sheriff doesn't visually inspect it then, like they do when it comes in from out of state.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    Thanks Terry,

I will let you know what happens. The owner is out of town until early next week, so I won't be able to report until then.
  • Options
    >>Most BMW afficianados consider the '00 model to be superior to the '01 model. If you are seriously in the <<

'00 superior to '01? Why? The '01 engine has 15 more horsepower and better gas mileage. What's better about the '00s?
  • Options
    jlawrence01jlawrence01 Member Posts: 1,757
    Requiring mileage readings at the time of registration each year would require one extra data field on the registration form. Sure, there is a cost to it but it would make roll-backs more difficult.
  • Options
    The '01 went to a drive-by-wire throttle, and also had lighter (more numb) steering. BMW even offered a retro-fit to '01 owners for free, to return their steering feel to the previous model. In general, most prefer the throttle response and steering feel on the '00 to the '01, on both 3-series models, even though horsepower is less. I believe the torque numbers aren't as different as the HP numbers between the model years.
    I haven't experienced this myself, as I've only driven the '01 325cic, and haven't tried an '00 323, but that is the general consensus on forums that are exclusively BMW.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 33,015
    I need some help with this one. I heard the report on the radio this morning and it was the same info as in that article above. It raised some questions in my mind.

Here in Jersey, the mileage is reported every time a car is sold/bought/registered. So I'd like to know how this happened? When the cars went to auction, who took them there and why wasn't the mileage recorded? When they were bought at auction, again, why wasn't the mileage recorded? Do the rules of car purchasing and selling in Jersey NOT apply to dealer auctions?

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    driftracerdriftracer Member Posts: 2,448
    odometer readings when you register a car - I've registered three vehicles in the last year that I've bought out of state - the person verified the VIN, but never looked at the mileage - asked me what it was.

That whole "requirement" thing is far from foolproof, especially here, where private businesses handle DMV work and many people are just plain lazy.
  • Options
    yes, in Corpus Christi, TX
  • Options
    I did. Look at message #18171
    color - arizona beige (greyish)
    interior color - grey
    no leather
    Currently own 2001 Ford Escape, mileage=70,980
      XLS Value Fwd 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl)
  • Options
    edwardoplunketedwardoplunket Member Posts: 31
    for 2001-2003 Suburban in Seattle area. Can anyone help out?

Ed
  • Options
    flyingdutchmanflyingdutchman Member Posts: 18
    On the suggestion of a member on the Yukon/Suburban board I am posting my message here. I have a chance to purchase a 2003 white Denali XL dealer demo with 2600 miles. The truck has DVD, second row captain chairs, Navigational System, sand color interior. The price the dealer is willing to let it go for is $42500. I would like to know if this is a good deal because I would like to surprise my husband. My city and state are NY,NY.
  • Options
    jratcliffejratcliffe Member Posts: 233
    You're going to drive a Denali in NYC? Wow, that's going to be fun to park. :)
  • Options
    sorry, we get that a lot here, and all I saw was your post with just the vehicle and location - I deleted my post, by the way.

Not tryin' to start nuthin', especially since I originally hail from Brazoria County (Lake Jackson), just a few miles down the road from you.
  • Options
    Hey Terry,

A couple of what-ifs, if you would (toying with the idea of switching vehicles again, probably just torturing myself):

1. 2003 Honda S2000 (yup, still calling out to me)
    Assume in the wrapper, ~10k miles, silver w/black or red guts (any difference based on interior color?), Boston area. What sort of price is fair from a dealer?

2. 2003 Chrysler Sebring Limited
    Assume, again, in the wrapper, ~10k miles, silver w/black guts, Boston area. V6, leather, autostick, 6-disc in-dash changer, heated seats. Again, a fair dealer price?

Thanks for helping me dream of converts on this incredibly ugly day (raining like crazy, about 45 degrees - I think if I went into a dealership and asked to test drive a convert today, they'd rapidly move all the sharp objects out of reach)!
  • Options
    ... In Operation Rollback, he writes: ... Operation Rollback is a ground breaking
    work of cold-war history, and an engaging one to read. ...
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0395516064?v=glance

Operation Rollback: Americas Secret War Behind the Iron Curtain
    Operation Rollback: Americas Secret War Behind the Iron Curtain. ... Book > Operation
    Rollback: Americas Secret War Behind the Iron Curtain > Customer Reviews: ...
    http://www.history-europe.com/Operation_Rollback_Americas_Secret_War_Behind_the_Iron_Cu...

UltraMookie.Com :: Operation Rollback
    Operation Rollback. So, you ever wonder how you are getting your "low prices"
    (which most of time aren't that low if you go search around at like Target)? ...
    http://www.ultramookie.com/comments/650_0_1_0_C/

H-Net Review: Johanna Granville on Peter Grose, Operation Rollback ...
    Peter Grose. Operation Rollback: America's Secret War Behind the Iron Curtain. ... In
    short, Operation Rollback has many merits and is worth reading. ...
    http://www.h-net.org/reviews/showrev.cgi?path=13050971283342

I have been all over the AP website, and I can't find anything about it .. I must be missing something, at least I know Gotti's g/f committed suicide ...l.o.l.....

Terry.
  • Options
    nobody around that line of work just "goes away", they always have help.
  • Options
    rae52rae52 Member Posts: 102
    Terry, go to www.nj.com to read about "Operation Rollback". The story is in the "Star-Ledger".

Rich
  • Options
    akanglakangl Member Posts: 3,281
    I have a strange question for you......not sure you or anyone else around here would know, but here goes.......

Any idea on where to find blue book prices on big rigs? We are buying a um, something big, for our business in the next 6-8 months. I finally talked my husband out of that $32k trailer that he wanted by pointing out he would KILL his Dodge trying to pull it (trailer GVWR 20k, truck towing capacity 15k). So after consulting his logging buddy (who he works for) it was decided that he needs a semi truck in order to haul short logs.

I've been looking online and prices vary wildly, but it seems we can get a 10 year old one or so with less than 300k on the clock for around $15k or less. Then add log bunks and a self loader and we are still under $30k.

We know we have to travel out of state to find it since trucks for sale here are few and far between. I'm trying to learn as much as I can before we go shopping and I can't seem to find anything that relates to used truck prices. Seems like everyone just pulls a number out of the air and says that will work.

Thankfully his logging buddy knows about big trucks and is helping, plus we have 2 mechanics to look at the truck for us depending on where it is in the USA.

I think I like car shopping better.....
  • Options
    forgot to mention, I was asking about the Sebring convert...
  • Options
    brandmar1brandmar1 Member Posts: 17
    I'd like to know the trade-in value of my 2000 Land Rover Discovery with 56500 miles.

Thanks
  • Options
    for me. No really, although there are 12,000 shades of red, just tell me quickly what "red" is. That's as vague a question, expecting a precise answer, as the question above.

Now, if you'll include color, interior color, miles, a very accurate condition description, options, your location, and given that it's a Land Rover, current mechanical problems, we can figure out a proper value.
  • Options
    Sorry, I wasn't thinking.

2000 DII, 56500 miles, white gold, great mechanical condition, CD changer, lightstone leather, tan interior, running boards, brush guard with hella lights, dual sunroofs, heated seats and windshield, located in Mass.
  • Options
    Its got a windshield?? Hey, livin high on a hog, aint we?

;)
    just joking around.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    LOL. It better have a windshield. I meant "heated windshield". That's the day I'm having.
  • Options
    fkozilfkozil Member Posts: 65
    I think this story would make a great Sopranos episode!
  • Options
    about these scams - like any other scam, it's just another means for folks to make great money, albiet illegally.

This should surprise no one - this has been going on since cars first had odometers.

Wait, you mean people cheat on their taxes, too? And sometimes, during an insurance claim, they claim that more things were in their stolen car than there really were?

And when I was turned down for a date by Jennifer Conway in the 10th grade, it was really because she didn't like me, not because she had to wash her hair that night?

Say it ain't so!

I find it alarmly humorous that people get all freaked out, like this is the first time they're hearing about this. It's been going on for 75 years!
  • Options
    like this is the first time they're hearing about this. It's been going on for 75 years!

man! The guys involved in that outfit must be OLD!