2024 Chevy Blazer EV lease from Bayway Auto Group Click here

2024 Jeep Grand Cherokee lease from Mark Dodge Click here

2025 Ram 1500 Factory Order Discounts from Mark Dodge Click here
Options

Real-World Trade-In Values

Comments

• Options
    bdemasbdemas Member Posts: 51
    ..... #1, what did you offer him ..? #2, did he come off his price .? ... and #3, if I remember correctly SC only has a $300 tax savings on purchases and trades ..

We told them our budget was 20, they said they were a little flexible but not to that degree. I really can't go any more then that, so a counter would be superfluous. Tax is $300 on new, I'm not sure on trades, I don't buy and sell enough to keep that in memory. $300 for a psychiatrist?!, I usually rely on the net for my couch time.
  • Options
    tommydtommyd Member Posts: 10
    dkuhajda and terry,

Thanks for the great info. I'll let you know what happens e.g.; trade vs. self retail.

Semper Fi,
    tommyd
  • Options
    leomortleomort Member Posts: 453
    Terry,

OK, Ok, Ok! So the the windshield has a crack halfway across it. So I should be able to get $3850, right ;)

And stop looking in my ashtrays! *lol*

Leo
  • Options
    20992099 Member Posts: 63
    Terry,

Just got back from Florida and visiting my mother. Saw my uncles "new" to him 2001 Grand Marquis. 16K, GS, cloth interior (grey), some kind of olive/brown looking? metallic paint (ugly to me). Keypad entry, slider, very clean. He paid 9000 to a guy from Jersey who was in St. Pete to settle his mothers estate. Told him I think he stole it. Says he plans to drive it for 10 years(he would be pushing 90!!). Just thought I'd let you know.
  • Options
    JNorthstarJNorthstar Member Posts: 25
    Terry,

It is an OLD body style Jetta. Black, auto, sunroof, air, casette,pwr locks, no pwr windows, no CD. Car is in Portland Oregon.

thanks,
    john.
  • Options
    edwardoplunketedwardoplunket Member Posts: 31
    Hi Terry,

Thanks again for the auction data. What do you know about regional variation in the auction numbers you have posted? Is there a city with a "Glut" of program cars where auction prices are depressed. I have been assuming that I might be able to swing a better deal say in Dallas, compared to Seattle? I am seeing a lot of SUV's from Texas on ebay. Any thoughts?

Ed
  • Options
    bshelbshel Member Posts: 232
    Terry,
    139,000 miles on this automatic Accord, I'm the only owner. Very clean inside and out. No problems except a bit of rust starting over rear wheel well.

What do you think?
  • Options
    taykinitezytaykinitezy Member Posts: 56
    Help, I have a 2000 Civic VP to trade in. Silver, auto, CD, what I consider very good condition, 32000 miles, no defects to speak of. (Ohio). TMV tells me average trade in should be about $7800. I had one dealer look at it and offer me $5000. What should I realistically expect?......thanks.
  • Options
    rroyce10rroyce10 Member Posts: 9,332
    ........ Aaah huh .! .. so the mystery unfolds ...

** We told them our budget was 20, they said they were a little flexible but not to that degree. **

Once in a great while you can get "real lucky" and buy a vehicle for really "El Cheapo" money, it happens, you tried and obviously the private seller was a mature adult and didn't get all bent out of shape .. thats the one bad thing about private sellers, sometimes they get a little crazy and take it personally when you even ask for a $500 discount, let alone a $5,000 discount .l.o.l. .. but you asked and thats fine.

If you really prefer the TL's and your looking to spend around $20,0 or less, then you might look more towards the 02's and the 01/00's for sure .....

Good luck and let me know how it goes ....... :)

Terry.
  • Options
    ....... Not much of a description to go by ...

For starters, the miles are kinda tall, color is kinda maybe ok, we have the leather thing going on and it's a 4x4 Z71 with a slider ...

If it has rubber from yesterday, service is 1 week old, it doesn't have the "I carried a grand piano from Naw Leans to Scottsdale at 80mph look", no I carried 5,000 BIC pens in my back pockets and handed them off to the soccer team in the back seat .. then trade side, in and around the $20/$21ish figure, if it needs stuff - start deducting ......

Terry.
  • Options
    ....... Semper Fi ...... !!

Terry.
  • Options
    ...... Thanks for the update ....... :)

Speaking of "real lucky" ...

I think I saw a picture of your Uncle at the Post Office in the "Most Wanted" list, cuz' your right, he stole that puppy .. l.o.l...

God bless him, 80 ..... it's a $10/$10,5 vehicle on the trade side and it would see at least $12 down Retail Rd .. the nice thing about these Grand Marks is, they are kinda like Volvo's they hit a certain figure and they kinda "hover" in the market place for a few years - even the Greta Garbo greens ......... :))

Terry.
  • Options
    bdemasbdemas Member Posts: 51
    Terry,

I wasn't going to insult the seller by looking for things that were wrong with it, the car was worth more than our budget allows. They were very civil as were we. Maybe we'll get lucky and find an 03 within our budget.

We've been hitting all the lots, checking all the '00s and newer locally. Either they've been hit (thanks carfax), smoked in by the Marlboro man or have more miles that I want to start with. We've called dealers out of the area but within driving range.

Thought we had a one in Savannah, '01 gold color, low miles, under budget. I had the dealer email some pictures, we noticed a dent on the passenger side. Dealer said for full asking price, they'd fix the dent, scratch and front bumper. No thanks.

This week a local dealer took our wish list with him to some of the Manheim's. He'll let us know today how he made out, no obligation.
  • Options
    jwinkyjwinky Member Posts: 59
    Terry, I was wondering if you had a chance to evaluate my earlier post about my Envoy. Below is that post.

What could I expect trade-in and private sale for a 2002 GMC Envoy SLT 4x4 with 30k in St. Louis? Black with gray leather, moonroof, Bose, 4.2 I6, 3.73 rear, non-air suspension, running boards. It has pretty much all of the options except for the DVD and air suspension. Inside is clean and there is only one small nick on the front bumper.

The finish is still top notch (no swirls) as I have been very conscious of the dark color and been careful washing it. No dents or dings and has been serviced only by the dealer with regular oil changes and tire rotation/balance.

Thanks in advance, and sorry if I am being a pest.
    Joel
  • Options
    ....... Hey Joel - good description, thanks ..

Nope your not being a pest, I read about 100 emails and posts a day, plus I'm trying to watch my boys Weir and Tiger get off those lightning fast greens at Augusta, so I get side tracked .l.o.l.. .. anytime you get missed ~ Just Repost ............. ;)

We have a 02 4x4 Envoy SLT, black "without" the crayon marks, grey gut's, slider, Bozo sound, boards and 30k .. deep rubber and the service is up to date ... trade side, in and around the $19ish figure, could "maybe" sneak up towards $20,0 if it's really a nice one .. down the path to Retailville - $22,900 *asking* and get all teary eyed at the first $21,5/$22,5, but wipe your tears off on the way to the bank ........... ;-)

Terry.
  • Options
    jwinkyjwinky Member Posts: 59
    Terry,

Thanks again. That is about what I was figuring. Your input is appreciated. Enjoy the Masters.

Joel
  • Options
    jlawrence01jlawrence01 Member Posts: 1,757
    Purchased the '02 Taurus SE with 52k miles for $5500 and will hold on to it until the wife's job situation stabilizes. I have a couple of buyers lined up should I sell it next month for $6500.

Sold the '01 Bonneville SE for $8k. Better to get $8k cash in hand than to roll the dice on the quality of the body work when it goes to the auctions.
  • Options
    kcc455kcc455 Member Posts: 33
    Hello Terry,

What can I expect for a trade in for my 98 Dakota Club Cab Sport, 2-wd.
    - 68,600 miles
    - V-6, auto
    - premium wheels & wide tires
    - infinity cd sound system
    - tilt, pw, pdl, cruise, ac
    - large power mirrors
    - rhino bed liner
    - bug shield
    - very good condition
    Thank You.
  • Options
    dbgindydbgindy Member Posts: 351
    It would also help Terry to give you a more accurate figure if he knew the conditions of the tires and where it's parked (what part of the country you live in:-).

Duncan

BTW Happy Easter to all!
  • Options
    shellytcshellytc Member Posts: 6
    I asked this question on the Odyssey site, and host Steve suggested I jump over here for your input.

I live in Richmond VA. Just looked at a 2003 Odyssey EX-L, with DVD Silver with grey leather interior, 6500 miles. Pretty clean van.

The owners (private seller) are asking $26,900. It seems that the Honda dealers are starting to deal (according to the site). What do you think of this, and what would be a good price to start negotiating at, and a good price to end up at?

Thanks, Shelly
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 241,029
    Your post rang a bell. I found the following message on the Lease Questions board:

"I am going to lease a 2004 Honda Ody EXL-RES with MSRP $30,480 (including destination charge), Invoice $27,470 (including destination charge). With the Honda Ody's $500 marketing offer, I am able to get this van at invoice."

Same model, only a brand new '04. Just thought you would like to see that for comparison.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    shellytcshellytc Member Posts: 6
    Thanks for your input on the lease, at invoice, message. If I am correct, that is the same model, only with cloth? What would a leather upgrade be worth?

Shelly
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 241,029
    it is the same model.. EXL.. L = leather.. RES = Rear entertainment system = DVD.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    akanglakangl Member Posts: 3,281
    A question for you in case it comes to this.....

We just found out today that the body shop put the wrong fluid in our Dodge's transmission and we will probably need a new transmission, very bad shifting and slipping in o/d.

Anyway, if we have to sue, is there a diminished value for a truck having a replaced tranny *if* it comes to that? We are pretty sure the tranny is gone, but who knows, maybe we can baby it a while longer. Just want to have our ducks in a row for our attorney to get this body shop. They did the same thing to my dad's truck among other things.

I don't think our life can be simple, all we wanted was for them to fix the truck, not destroy it.
  • Options
    corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,352
    Is this body shop the only game in town? When I had a VW, I drove about 100 miles out of my way (roundtrip) to have it serviced at a reputable dealer (as opposed to a crooked one). When it broke down 100 miles (one way) from that same dealer, I still had it towed there. Although I don't live as far out in the sticks as you do, I do live in a rural area and have learned that, in many cases (although there are exceptions), if you want something done right the first time, you can't rely on the locals. Yes, there are some people here who take pride in doing an outstanding job, but large metropolitan areas have a way of attracting a lot of talent.
  • Options
    ....... I think you did well on both, especially on the Bonny .. your were smart, get what you can upfront and fight for the rest .......... :)

Terry.
  • Options
    steine13steine13 Member Posts: 2,819
    ..better check your family tree.

I'd bet your husband is related to Vlad the Impaler.... on his mother-in-law's side.

Good luck on this one... better cross all the t's and double-dot the umlauts on the chain-of-evidence. Dodge V10s are known to throw transmissions without help, just on general principle, when they're worked hard.

On the "May 15th", I'll take the under...

-Mathias
  • Options
    budsbrotherbudsbrother Member Posts: 36
    My daughter is wondering what her 96 Camry LE 4 cylinder 4 door is worth (if anything). First the bad stuff. It has 180,000 big old clicks on it, it doesn't like to go into reverse very often and the radio is dead. Good stuff new battery, good tires, the AC works and the motor runs pretty well. The body is in good shape,no meteorite or missile hits, just the usual nicks and scratches for a car with that mileage. Not that it makes much difference, the car is maroon with the usual power windows,locks,and cruise (they work too!). This fine automobile is located near San Francisco. The daughter knows it isn't worth much, but I figure it is a Camry, so someone, somewhere may want it if only for parts. Thanks
  • Options
    Actually the 47RE is a pretty darn tough tranny. This one didn't start having problems until after the body shop *fixed* it. My dad's Ram is having the same problems and we know they put the wrong fluid in his.

Our truck has 18k miles on it, has never really worked hard a day in its life until we got it. Even now I wouldn't say its worked hard, a load of firewood in the bed here and there, and Friday it towed its first heavy trailer. Heavy being relative since a 1/2 ton could have towed it, was only about 8500 lbs (we had to tow the cursed Chevy into town on our flatbed trailer). Other than that its more of a daily driver and doesn't haul much more than its own rear end.

We'll see what happens, nothing surprises me anymore with that body shop. NEVER again will we use them.
  • Options
    isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    A new or rebuilt transmission won't diminish the value of that truck so don't worry about that.

June 12th is the date I'm picking!
  • Options
    June 12 is mine and hubby's 11th anniversary.

Our frustration with that body shop grows by the day, hopefully they make this mess right.

As for trading the truck, nah, we like it too much and my Explorer isn't going anywhere either. It'll turn 10k here really soon.

'Cides we are probably buried in both of them, just guessing since I have no idea what they are worth nor do I care......not only am I avoiding the car lots, but also the trade in calculators too.
  • Options
    ocean_shipperocean_shipper Member Posts: 70
    Heck... I was going to suggest that they ask for a wire transfer and HOPE the insurance company doesn't wake up and realize what they did before the money hits your bank account!!!

IE: as the Steve Miller Band said, "go on, take the money and run"!!!!! AND HURRY.
  • Options
    ocean_shipperocean_shipper Member Posts: 70
    Terry...

I saw in the Washington Post over the weekend that they trashed the Armada. Given what I have seen on the boards about "issues", ya think this has all the aftermarket value markings of a "leaky canoe"????

Chuck
  • Options
    ohiogoodguysohiogoodguys Member Posts: 19
    About a month ago I asked you the trade in Value of a 2000 Honda CRV SE. Well Friday I wrote a deal on a 2003 Mazda 6 (Pick it up Wednesday) and I feel I got a good deal what do you think?

Trade: 2000 Honda CRV SE 131,000 miles white with gray leather PW, PL, CD and Cassette, cruise, gold package, about 10K on Michellan X-ones, All service done 100% and I am the original owner. I got $7500 (pegged a month ago at $8000)

New Car: 2003 Mazda 6i Sedan (4 cyl) Was a dealer demo with 5180 miles. The car is white with gray cloth, pw, pl, cruise, premium package (power seat and16’ alloy wheels), appearance package (rear spoiler with side, front and rear skirts) and a power moonroof. $15800. The vehicle was NEVER titled.

Both of the vehicles are in the Cleveland Ohio area

Jack
  • Options
    edwardoplunketedwardoplunket Member Posts: 31
    Hi Terry,

Do you have access to the subject data, and if so can you give me some auction numbers for 2003 EB Expeditions in Vancouver BC. Even though the exchange is weak right now, I thought I would look into this option. I think I can get an RI and a speedo changed for around $500.

Thanks for your help.

Ed
  • Options
    driftracerdriftracer Member Posts: 2,448
    Terry devotes his free time while doing 70-80 hours a week, travelling 3-5 days a week, and trying to get in his weekly golf game and Oprah and Dr Phil shows each day. And we can't forget the South Park reruns.

I think you've over-stepped the "free advice" thing when you've tapped his personal database for Canadian exchange/auction information.

Buy a doggone vehicle, will you?
  • Options
    gator430gator430 Member Posts: 40
    Terry,

This is my wife's car so it's hard to say since she owns the car before we met. It's now park in the garage but the last couple of years it has been outside.
  • Options
    dbgindydbgindy Member Posts: 351
    What Terry means is in what part of the Country you are in (city & state preferably). Absolutely no zip codes or drift and I will have to all Ernie Shavers on you. :-)

Duncan
  • Options
    isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    131,000 miles on a 2000 CRV ???

WOW!!!!
  • Options
    jht1jht1 Member Posts: 1
    Do you know which is a better deal?
    2004 VOlvo S60 for $23,271 40 miles on it, standard equipment
    2003 Volvo S60 for $23,271 - 20,000 miles on it, leather seats, moon roof, (the premium package)
  • Options
    steine13steine13 Member Posts: 2,819
    Depends on you... I'd go with the low-miler, but that's me... By any rational measure, 20k miles have to worth something like 20 to 30 cents each.... and that's if the car glows in the dark, no scratches, nicks, dents... so that's $4-6k... is the luxo stuff worth it to you..?

A Volvo with cloth and no slider may be hard to unload later... if you're the type who trades every 12 years whether you need it or not, that doesn't matter much...

Have you made up your mind that it's gotta be one of those two? Then flip a coin. When it's in mid-air, you'll KNOW what you really want.

-Mathias
  • Options
    volvodan1volvodan1 Member Posts: 188
    I would assume the 03 also has heated seats (climate package). Is it the "asking" price on the 03. I would say the 03 is better, especially if it is certified. The 6 yr/100K thing is great!

How long are you going to keep the car? Normally the thinking is one year newer you will get more value when you trade. But that will be more than negated by not having the moo skin and slider. Also, not having the heated seats above the Mason-Dixon line would be killer. If you are going to keep it 10 years, then one year newer won't matter much. If it is sooner, then leather, sunroof, and toasty's are more valuable than one year newer.
  • Options
    corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,352
    I'm not Terry, but I think you got a heck of a deal!
  • Options
    gator430gator430 Member Posts: 40
    Houston, TX
  • Options
    jascott129jascott129 Member Posts: 6
    99 Chevrolet Venture LS Extended w/ 84k
    Trade-In Value is listed around $5700, but I would like opinions...

Good - Reasonable clean (few rock chips, one door ding, minimal "wear" in interior, Rear Air, Powered Sliding Door, CD, Power Seat, Trip Computer, New Michelin 80K tires w/ warranty, New Shocks/Struts, New Battery, Everything works. Service/Maint. records available. Regularly waxed.

Bad - Previous Rent Car. We purchased at 19k as a GM program car. Was hit on left front about 25k ago. No frame damage, but front end is new. Air bags did not deploy. Small "marks" on front & rear bumpers.

-Based on the bad information above, can I expect around the trade-in price? The van will be cleaned and it does look sharp.
    -If I sell it rather than trade it in, can I expect the private party price?
    -Do I have to legally disclose information about the previous rental and wreck? I would not lie, but do I have to volunteer?
    -Lastly, we are thinking about keeping it as a 3rd vehicle, but will the value likely drop significantly once it has 95 - 100k on it?
  • Options
    dkuhajdadkuhajda Member Posts: 487
    I don't want to burst your bubble too much, but people are not knocking down the dealers doors for a Venture minivan.

Shop it around, condition is going to make a huge difference. I would honestly be suprised if you get an ACV offer of much over $4500. I'm thinking trade side $4500 to 5000(if it is a really nice one).

As a point of reference, there are several of those listed locally at dealers, just like yours, with asking prices of $6900 and $7900. Last one we bought was mid winter and a 99 with 95K on the clock and it needed some minor stuff like tires and maintenance up to date, let alone a good detail (it was dirty inside and out), but auction price paid was only $3300.

Private party, get the paint chips professionally filled in, a full and complete detail, ask $7500 and send it packing for any offer close to $6500.
    Stress the maintenance records available and super clean and ready to drive in the big classified ad.

BTW if they ask about the wreck, do not hide anything. If the damage was in the thousands, go ahead and have those records available with the service history. I do hope you used one of the top rated body shops. It is not like you are trying to sell a BMW or other car that really takes a value hit with some body work. You need only mention it was a factory program car if they ask, you bought it used at a dealer.

Last question: will the value drop after 100K. Think about it, the van will be older, and have more miles on it. Yes, the value will drop. You will need to do some research on older similar models to get an expected approximation of its future value at the next time you want to sell it. The future cannot be accurately predicted.
  • Options
    ......... I'm not sure if I understand the post correctly ... you live in the states and you would like to purchase a Canadian vehicle.?

If so, the Canadian vehicle has to be bought "waaaay" back of book .. not because they are any less vehicle or quality, because once you switch Odo, the miles become TMU (True miles unknown) so when you go to sell, trade, market the vehicle in 2/3 years it's value will be about 50% less than the twin sitting next to it with US stampings and title ...

I don't know if I answered your question or not .......... :)

Terry.
  • Options
    jascott129jascott129 Member Posts: 6
    Thanks for the honest answers. Basically, I am paying about 60/mth just for insurance as a 3rd car. We don't plan on keeping the van long-term, unless it is just worth nothing. I am really trying to decide if we will get as much use out of it as the value drops. I have heard that after 100k, the value drops significantly more than it has up to the 100k point.

Thanks again,
    Jim
  • Options
    dmorelli1dmorelli1 Member Posts: 13
    In reviewing the average trade-in prices for my 2002 Toyota AWD Ltd Highlander with 11,000 miles (I am purchasing a 2004 Lexus RX330)which is in brand new condition, I am seeing a huge discrepancy between Edmunds($26,149) vs NADA($25,775) vs KBB($19,875)vs Galves ($25,550).I understand this is not an exact science & there will be some discrepancies, however this is a HUGE swing ($6274). How can this be? Anyone have any thoughts or advice?
  • Options
    dsylvadsylva Member Posts: 2
    I have a 1999 Ford Contour LX, AT, AC,Power Windows and door locks. Has 48K miles in good shape. Exterior is a Slate Green Color, with Tan Interior. Car is in good shape with no exterior cosmetic damage. Was hoping to get about 4K for it. Am I in the right ballpark?