Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

Real-World Trade-In Values

Comments

• Options
    mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,315
    How much more would a 13k mile 06 C4S run? Arctic silver/blue leather/blue top
    5 speed, navigation?
    Thanks,
    Mark
  • Options
    volvomaxvolvomax Member Posts: 5,238
    There are VERY few cars in that price range that don't depreciate like a falling safe.
  • Options
    My guess would be low $50's wholesale.
  • Options
    mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,315
    thanks volvomax
  • Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    The usual knee-jerk response is "don't do it", but you may actually not be upside down if you got $4500 to begin with.

That money's gone, and buying another new car you'll lose any equity you do have.

It's bad, but it's less bad than it would have been had you not gotten the C4C credit.
  • Options
    british_roverbritish_rover Member Posts: 8,502
    Few years ago we took in a nine month X5 4.8is with 9,000 miles on it from a repeat customer of mine.

We gave him good money for the X5 not stupid money just right money. I don't remember exactly what it was at the time.

We tried to retail it for 10 days while we waited for the title had some lookers but no one with the steam to buy that expensive of a car used.

By the time we got it to manhiem 10 days later the book drop was about 6,000 dollars.

Six grand in a little over a week.
  • Options
    woodywwwoodyww Member Posts: 1,806
    Are you sure you want a previous rental, with high miles, & cigarette burn holes (?). I'm guessing most people would just buy new, instead of a year-old car with 33K miles & cigarette burn holes....
  • Options
    Almost sounds like a beater when you put it that way...
  • Options
    ocelot4arkocelot4ark Member Posts: 9
    Any real world estimates on the following would be appreciated:
    07 Tundra Double Cab 4.7L
    4x2
    Texas Edition with leather interior and 20" wheels
    38,000 miles
    aftermarket indash navigation
  • Options
    Figure @ $18,000
  • Options
    tkfitztkfitz Member Posts: 95
    Located in New Hampshire,
    White
    Leather, no other options FWD
    27,000 miles
    Car is clean, no dings, still under warranty, also is offered as a Ford Certified Used car
    What do you think? Dealer is asking about $16000.
    Am I correct in assuming the value will go down somewhat after the new '10 comes to dealerships?
  • Options
    $16k is a good price. Wholesale is @ $14k.
  • Options
    Thanks for the quick reply.
    How about a value on my possible trade.............
    2000 Dodge Intrepid
    about 90000 mi
    Gold, tan interior, no real options except a front bench seat,upgrade factory radio/cd.
    Brakes and tires 75-80%-recently changed.
    A couple small door dings, Clean int
    runs drives 100% everything works . No accidents.
    Edmunds says $2000 trade. What about the real world value?
    Thanks
    ps. for all those laughing it really has been a great car for the last 9 years.
  • Options
    I think $2,000 is a little optimistic. $1000-1500 is more likely.
  • Options
    Thanks again. If it was up to me I would just drive it until the wheels fall off or something major goes. But it is my wife's car....and it is almost 10 years old.
  • Options
    fezofezo Member Posts: 10,384
    Maybe you could pawn the Intrepid off on Andre. It's got way fewer miles than his...
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
  • Options
    woodywwwoodyww Member Posts: 1,806
    What could he get selling the 2000 Dodge Intrepid privately? Or if he likes it, it runs great, for $1000 trade-in it might be worth keeping around as a spare car.....?
  • Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,429
    i was thinking andre could give him a pep talk. ;)
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    beofgodbeofgod Member Posts: 17
    Want to trade this into a local dealer, what would be a fair trade in price?

Year/Make/Model: 2008 Honda Element SC
    Body Style: 5dr SUV
    Engine: 4 cylinder, automatic
    Driveline: FWD
    Mileage:19000
    Color: Rootbeer (brown) exterior, black/brown interior]
    Major Options: 18" alloys, upgrade sound system
    Condition: Good
    Details of interior and exterior, including dings, scratches etc.
    Tires - Maybe 80% worn
    Brakes - Maybe 80% worn
    Maintenance - current
    Other: None.
  • Options
    I have exchanged a couple of forum entries with Andre over the last couple years. I think the situation is a bit different for me. It is my primarily my wifes car. I work a couple hours commute away from home many days. She would be on her own if anything let go, and we have a long winter here. I try and prevent her from being stuck on the road as much as I can. I always feel it is better to go looking for something when I have a car that runs-the better deals always seem to dry up just as the old car dies. Or do the dealers have ESP???"Hmmmm needy customer". I like making an offer and being able to drive off, if necessary.
    Should just keep it and use it myself- does get 30 mpg on the highway. But that would make it the 6th vehicle in the yard.
    I am going to lowball the dealer and see what happens. Not a popular car, they seem to be slow sellers.
  • Options
    itslisaitslisa Member Posts: 10
    I just met with the -lease end- guy at the dealer my VW Bug convert. came from. The guy says he can't do anything about the residual bcse VW owns the car and VW is not licensed in the state of CO. (He claims that CO. is one of 3 states that is the case.) My red flag alert and b.s. meter went up. Q- Is this true and what does VW not being licensed mean (to any one who buys or leases a car in one of these three states?) MY objective, like everyone is to pay a fair buyout. This guy is telling me they are powerless to do anything.....I rather doubt that. Am I up a creek w/o a paddle? Thank you in advance
  • Options
    houdini1houdini1 Member Posts: 8,328
    Is it eligible for cash for clunkers?

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,429
    you seemed to be apologizing for owning an Intrepid, for which there no need.
    i was trying br a humorous.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    sebring95sebring95 Member Posts: 3,241
    Helping my aunt find a replacement for her '97 Caravan SE (4cyl 3-speed auto) that now has about 250k miles and starting to really nickel and dime her as well as the rust is getting serious. She would be happy to keep it forever because it's exactly what she wants....manual everything, short wheelbase, etc. These stripped down models are rather hard to find but one popped up locally so I'm trying to get an idea for what the dealer has in it. I'm sure these are about as UNpopular as a Dodge Caravan can get so that sounds like a bonus!

2007 Caravan SE, 4cyl, 4-speed auto, 38k miles. No options, A/C is about it. They're asking $9,995 and located in Ohio. $9,000 sounds pretty good.
  • Options
    boomchekboomchek Member Posts: 5,516
    Your lease end guy is correct in saying that residuals are not negotiable. 99% of the time they're set in stone, unless it's an inhouse dealer lease (funded by the dealer, not by a large lease/car company), then there might be some leeway.

Of course you'd like to pay a fair buyout, but you agreed to the buyout amount when you singed the lease. So if that figure is not what you think is fair, then return the car when the lease is up and walk away.

2016 Audi A7 3.0T S Line, 2021 Subaru WRX

• Options
    lablover2lablover2 Member Posts: 115
    located in chicago suburbs
    2005 mercury mariner
    6cylinder
    auto trans
    awd
    30,000 miles
    white
    heated leather seats,power seats,luggage rack
    good condition
    former hail damage repaired
    what can my sister expect for a trade in value? thanks
  • Options
    lablover2lablover2 Member Posts: 115
    chicago suburbs
    07 toyota yaris hatchback
    auto trans
    22,000 miles
    red
    power windows,power locks, cd, split folding rear seats
    good condition
    maintenance up to date
    what can i expect for a trade in or private party? thanks
  • Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 33,032
    What would trade value be on the following?

'98 C70 coupe. Auto. Premium pack. Only 60k miles. Saffron over black.
    In PA.

As always, thanks, vmax.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    Figure somewhere @ $17,000
  • Options
    Auction price is gonna be $6-7,000

I'd try offering $8-8500
  • Options
    Unmolested, it's probably worth @ $11,000
    If the Carfax is bad or the repair is easy to detect, figure a $1-3,000 drop.
  • Options
    Trade in $7-7500 Private party $9-10,000
  • Options
    To the wrong person,nothing. :P

Good ebay car. Figure $5-6,000 on a trade.
    Might push $10,000 to a Volvo fanatic.
  • Options
    Interesting. That's more than I expected. Guess the miles count for ALOT in this case, huh?

Found it on autotrader at a no-name dealer. Asking $8495. Doesn't sound bad based on your numbers. Maybe one of his better deals since most other stuff on his lot seems grossly overpriced. [$5k for a '98 170k mile prelude? $12k for an '02 100k mile 325i?]

Still, even at $7500 for the C70, its more than I'm thinking of spending right now. Thanks, though.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    itguy79itguy79 Member Posts: 4
    I'm having the same situation...almost the same exact car, year, miles options.... Dealer is asking 22900 and really won't go less that 1500 below that. I was hoping for 20K...is this unreasonable? It is a certified car as well. Got any feedback?
  • Options
    lrguy44lrguy44 Member Posts: 2,197
    If he will not go lower it means that either he owns it close to his asking proce (recon etc.) or that your local market commands a higher price.
  • Options
    Not sure $20k will get it done.
    Lets say he bought it for $17k, CPO adds $2k, lets say another $500 for PAC and cosmetic recon. He's in the car $19,500. At $21,400 he has a $1900 gross. Pretty much the minimum for a good U/C dept.
  • Options
    icedog97icedog97 Member Posts: 141
    Zip: 15237
    2006 SRX AWD 46K miles
    White Diamond Pearlcoat
    3rd row Seat
    Navigation
    Rear Seat DVD/headphones
    Panoramic Roof

Paint is good to excellent...very few/minor things...
    Inside is very clean...

Has just about all the gadgets you can get...
  • Options
    itguy79itguy79 Member Posts: 4
    Thanks I appreciate it....haven't bought a used car in quite some time and wasn't aware of how far I can take it.
  • Options
    wanderer_xwanderer_x Member Posts: 2
    When it comes to actually trading in a vehicle it used to be next to impossible to get anywhere near the stated TMV or NADA trade in for my vehicle. Usually the dealer would either offer $2000 below or throw KBB (which looks like a dealer's tool to me) under my nose, or say I should sell it outright.

A shiny new Truck has caught my eye, but I want to make sure I get something reasonable on my trade. I felt totally raped when the dealer shined my last trade up and had it on the lot asking dealer retail for it.

What frustration!

The trouble is where do trade in values come from when the 7 or 8 dealer I spoke to say they are junk? If that is the case, why post them? Is KBB with it's low trade and high retail values closer to right? If so what good is TMV and NADA? :confuse:

I am hoping that car dealers are a little more hungry for business this time now that CARS is over and I can work something decent.
  • Options

A shiny new Truck has caught my eye, but I want to make sure I get something reasonable on my trade. I felt totally raped when the dealer shined my last trade up and had it on the lot asking dealer retail for it.

Um, that s what dealers do. Seriously, is this what is out there for consumers???

Look, if you want retail for your car its very simple. Sell it yourself. Otherwise, don't begrudge a dealer trying to make profit because you were unwilling to take the time to do it yourself.
    I cannot stress this enough, if you don't like the trade in value, SELL IT YOURSELF.

The trouble is where do trade in values come from when the 7 or 8 dealer I spoke to say they are junk? If that is the case, why post them? Is KBB with it's low trade and high retail values closer to right? If so what good is TMV and NADA?

They are mostly junk. They are always at least 60 days out of date and they exist mostly as a place to start a conversation and to give banks a universal lending guide.

I am hoping that car dealers are a little more hungry for business this time now that CARS is over and I can work something decent.

What is decent? Your car is worth what it is worth. NOBODY is gonna put retail, or anywhere close to it on a trade no matter how "hungry" they are. You still have to move the trade. That is a recipe for going out of business and there aren't that many dumb dealers left in business.
  • Options
    houdini1houdini1 Member Posts: 8,328
    Carmax is not your typical dealer. I would certainly have them appraise and give you an offer. The price they offer is good on a trade or for cash.

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• Options
    Well said.

• Options
    wanderer_xwanderer_x Member Posts: 2
    What is decent? Your car is worth what it is worth. NOBODY is gonna put retail, or anywhere close to it on a trade no matter how "hungry" they are. You still have to move the trade. That is a recipe for going out of business and there aren't that many dumb dealers left in business

I'm not looking for retail, I didn't say I was looking to get retail. I am looking for something close to what the books say TRADE IN value is. The last time I bought 5 years ago it was hell to even get $2000 below TRADE IN value.

My point was what good is the book trade in values if they prices in them are not even close to accurate (even though it seems dealer retails are pretty darn close to accurate).

While dealers may be all pissed about consumers attitude toward them, they really need to look at the practices of so many other dealerships and their treatment of customers to know why people like me hate to car shop. I have walked out of places over stupid tricks like misplaced keys, bait and switch, and trying to charge $500 for a $20 can of Teflon treatment.

I won't begrudge a dealer for wanting a fair profit, they shouldn't get all wound up when I ask why their trade offer is so much lower than book value.
  • Options
    My point was what good is the book trade in values if they prices in them are not even close to accurate

Very simple. Because they (the "guides") don't make money buying and selling cars. They make money publishing those figures, regardless of their accuracy.

You think The National Inquirer makes money publishing ACCURATE news stories?

• Options
    Wow, a 2 year old Element is really worth that much?
  • Options
    Is pretty good ... but also keep in mind that, although an Element, the SC model is like $24k new.

• Options
    My point was what good is the book trade in values if they prices in them are not even close to accurate (even though it seems dealer retails are pretty darn close to accurate).

We don't print the books, so we can't be held accountable when they end up being wrong.
    As for dealer retail, you HAVE to start somewhere. Virtually no one pays dealer retail for a used car so it is just a place to start a conversation.

I won't begrudge a dealer for wanting a fair profit, they shouldn't get all wound up when I ask why their trade offer is so much lower than book value.

I think you really should be asking the publishers of these books why their prices are unrealistic. Good luck getting an answer.
  • Options
    think you really should be asking the publishers of these books why their prices are unrealistic

Especially true when all the dealers a customer has been to place the trade in the same range of $2k below bottom book.

• Options
    icedog97icedog97 Member Posts: 141
    Just wanted to add this to the discussion...and bump my post ( :blush: )...

I will just go out on a limb and say that the past 6 months (people on the inside let me know if this is anywhere near true) has been about the most volitile in the auto industry since probably the early 80's...of course back then, there wasn't an internet.

I think it would be safe to say that "averages", TMV. trade-in, retail values...etc...have all been turned a little sideways by the US auto makers problems and by the recent clunkers program.

What happens to the new cars that were sold LAST year, when this year's models have average "buy" prices that are less? Obviously it creates a new wrinkle in how things are factored...right?

I did hear something strange at 2 dealerships in PA...they said they are paying MORE for used cars at auctions than they were 6 months ago. Anybody know if there is any truth to that?

Anyway...2006 SRX with 46K miles...trade-in of $3.95??? (I joke....).