Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

Real-World Trade-In Values

Comments

• Options
    lrguy44lrguy44 Member Posts: 2,197
    said they are paying MORE for used cars at auctions than they were 6 months ago
    It is true
  • Options
    cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,511
    My point was what good is the book trade in values if they prices in them are not even close to accurate. . .

They're not worth a bucket of warm spit.

A used car is worth whatever someone will pay for it. You can want whatever you want to want, but you'll get what you get. It won't be anything close to what the "guides" say.

This board allows us peons access to auction prices, which is what dealers have to pay to get a given car to put in their used car inventory. Then they have to clean it up and make a profit.

Max and the equally competent gluttons for punishment who came before have made this board what it is, which is probably the most useful board on Edmunds. They have been kind enough to take a look at the auction prices (acutally sold for, not dream values) and give us a clue. Consumers don't have access to this data. The numbers are rock-solid accurate, plus or minus 5% or so. It's good stuff. Used car values depend on where you are in the country and a bunch of other stuff that many people feel is irrelevant (color, etc), but isn't.

Welcome to the real world.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • Options
    british_roverbritish_rover Member Posts: 8,502
    Yes it is for some models we are paying much more then we did six months ago. As the supply of discounted 2009 new cars dry up the prices will just keep going up. Pretty soon we are going to be paying new 2009 XC70 retail money for a year old regular miles 2008 used XC70 if we want one.
  • Options
    And since there are fewer leases (short turn around to the used market) now combined with 2 years of slow sales, the used market is just going to get tighter, resulting in even higher prices.
  • Options
    Yes used prices will be very high for the next 18-24 months. Might be one of those times where buying new makes more sense.
  • Options
    longislander1longislander1 Member Posts: 112
    What could I expect to get for my 2005 Porsche Boxster S with 11,000 miles that's in immaculate condition? It's been garaged from new, dealer serviced since new, has rarely seen rain and has never been driven in winters or raced. It's Seal Grey with grey top and sand beige standard leather interior. It has bi-xenon headlights, navigation, six-speed, heated seats, windstop and Bose sound system, as well as all service records. Sticker was $60,600. I'm interested in both private party sale price and trade-in price. Any thoughts would be appreciated, since I'm thinking of selling.
  • Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    $24 grand, yikes. Makes sense, then.

Thanks.
  • Options
    delthekingdeltheking Member Posts: 1,152
    This would be a ton of depreciation for a very low mileage car.My guesstimate is around 26-27k if as you say it is in a very good condition.
    Volvomax can give u the most accurate value.
  • Options
    My gut without looking anything up was 28k but then I saw his name and figured he was in Long Island and has already missed convertible season.

I am not even sure he could get to 26k maybe 25k.
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 239,649
    Yowza!!

I say right around $20K.... and.. here is the shipping address.. :P

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    I'll offer $21k.

Let the auction begin! :D

But seriously, it's not too late, though Spring is probably the best time to sell. A cherry car like that will command top dollar, but the problem is finding someone willing to pay top dollar for a used car, that buyer usually just buys new.

Miles are uber-low so that was probably a 2nd car, I imagine.

Sell it privately for $29.9 and put "immaculate" in the header.
  • Options
    davemskinnerdavemskinner Member Posts: 2
    :) I am trying to find the retail and trade-in values for the above mentioned truck. It is loaded. 7.3 L PS Diesel over-sized turbo, Extra heavy duty transmission, two speed rear end, 100 gal fuel tank, dually, crew cab, grey leather interior, CB radio, 167K miles, in very good condition for the year and miles, No rust - AZ truck, custom white/silver paint, fifth wheel hitch, 19.5 inch rubber 80% wear remains, this truck is located near Syracuse, NY. The truck appears to have been well maintained. No known deficiencies.
  • Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 33,032
    OK... this is a 2-part question.

1. What would trade value be on an '01 Mazda Protege MP3 5-spd with 80k miles in NJ?

2. What would the trade value be on that same car if an aftermarket turbo was added? (it never came with a turbo from the factory)

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,770
    I'll play!

trade value on that car? Very little, def. a private sale. I say the trade offer is 3K, private ask $5995?

The turbo? Trade value could be negative, because for sure no dealer will want ti! And who knows about private. Depends on how well done it was, and what kind of sucker (er., buyer..) you find. I wouldn't touch it.

I do love the Pro5 though. Should have snagged one when the 3 came out, and they were going dirt cheap (I also should have bought the last gen Civic Si hatch when you could get a stray for less than 15K, but another missed opportunity)

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    actually, depending on the color, I would love something like that Protege if it was cheap enough. I could sell my Accord and pocket the difference, since I have that and a TL now, and don't go anyplace. Migth as well get something I can fit the dog into.

• Options
    longislander1longislander1 Member Posts: 112
    Thanks to all for the good-natured responses. I hope Volvomax will be able to weigh in on the value. However, I suspect that he, too, will come in somewhere in the mid- to upper-$20s. I think this is probably one of those vehicles that's cheaper to keep and enjoy than to sell because of the head-spinning depreciation. It's a nearly new car that's worth about the same as a new Miata. Operating and insurance costs will remain fairly low for this kind of car, at least until I have to deal with major wear items. What's disappointing is that my last Porsche, a 968 cabriolet, cost me $44K new and I sold it for $20K . . . 10 years later, which was a fair market price at the time. I'm guessing that the Boxster will be worth that much or less after only six years.
  • Options
    Well.. if the number comes back at $18K.. just remember who was the first person to step up with the real money! ;)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    jayriderjayrider Member Posts: 3,602
    Who are the morons that actually buy used cars for a few grand less than new? There must be a bunch since used car prices wouldn't be jumping if consumers weren't waiting in line to buy them.
  • Options
    you and I have strangely similar thinking ... or similarly strange thinking.

"I wouldn't touch that!" ........ "on the other hand"

I also noticed you commented on that wagon on swedespeed I was closely studying the pics on. ;b
    The no AC kills it for me, though.

Anyway, on the Pro, it is at one of those many private dealers on Rt 88 in Lakewood.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    volvomaxvolvomax Member Posts: 5,238
    In season, trade in would be @ $24-25k, private party $28-29k.
    Don't think you will get this now because you are coming out of season.
    Maybe if you put it on ebay and someone in Florida saw it.
  • Options
    Sorry, no idea. Don't deal in heavy trucks.
  • Options
    Trade in @ $4000
    Aftermarket turbo adds zero value,and would make a dealer more hesitant to put real money in the car. Find a kid who wants a hot econobox and charge him $6995.
  • Options
    What's disappointing is that my last Porsche, a 968 cabriolet, cost me $44K new and I sold it for $20K . . . 10 years later, which was a fair market price at the time. I'm guessing that the Boxster will be worth that much or less after only six years.

What you need to remember is that there are a TON more Boxters on the market than there were 968's.
  • Options
    yeah, that white V70 didn't look half bad, if you are willing to role the dice on the mechanical parts. I suspect there may be a few more "issues" the seller isn't mentioning.

And no AC belt usually doesn't mean the belt broke and they were too cheap to replace it.

But, if you are interested, it is about 15 minutes from me. And 2 sets of wheels, with 1 set of new tires, is worth a bit all by itself.

• Options
    It is a funny phenomenon. People think that buying used is a cheaper solution when the economy is bad and they are concerned about their incomes. However, they still want as nie a car as they can get. So they go for a 1 or 2 yr old car. If it is a CPO car,they end up with more warranty than a new on would have.
  • Options
    icedog97icedog97 Member Posts: 141
    So...any thoughts on the 2006 SRX trade-in value?

I was figuring couldn't be much higher than $16K?

Anyway...saw a few for sale listed...not CPO...at right around $20K.

I thought that was pretty cheap...
  • Options
    Thanks, vmax.

I figured the turbo might actually DEvalue it.

Dealer has it listed @$6499.

• Options
    I would say trade in with all those options would be around 13k,maybe 13.5k.So asking price around 16-17k would be reasonable.Infact Ebay has 04 and 05 SRX`s with all these features with less than 55k mileage listed anywhere between 15.5k-17k.So 20k would be very high I guess.
    Let`s see what Volvomax says.
  • Options
    jipsterjipster Member Posts: 6,251
    I say right around $20K.... and.. here is the shipping address

I always thought Boxsters were girl cars. :blush:
    2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
  • Options
    deltheking -

Thanks for the reply.

Interesting too...Volvomax said '04 would get ~$12K (this was about a month ago - low miles, 22,500 now...)

So I was naturally curious how an '06 would work out...
  • Options
    rprossilrprossil Member Posts: 62
    Chicago, IL
    2007 Nissan Quest (base model)
    Minivan
    3.5 L V6 FWD
    36,000 miles
    Silver exterior / Gray Cloth interior
    Folding rear seats, cargo cover, auto dimming mirror with homelink transmitter
    Good Condition, minor scratches on bumpers and sliding doors
    Tires - 50%
    Brakes - done at 24K
    Other maintenance is current

Lease is up in 6 months and am considering buying it out. Doesnt' look like too many lease deals coming up on new ones. Buyout now is $14,900 or in 4/10 at $12,600 after paying the last 6 payments of $364/mo. What do you guys think?
  • Options
    nick9nick9 Member Posts: 2
    Have a Black with tan leather 04 Tundra Double Cab Limited 4x4 with 83,000 miles.Leather,JBL Stereo, moonroof, heated seats, towing package, colored keyed running boards and limited slip differential.
    new front brakes at 82,000 miles, new tires at 55,000 miles
    Condition is average to clean with minimal body dings and dents. Bed has rhino liner that has faded over the years.
    Moved into the city and need a smaller city car. Wondered what I can really expect on trade and would I better off buying another Toyota (XD maybe) for maximum trade value?

Thanks
  • Options
    If its a V8 figure @ $18,000. V6 @ $16,000
  • Options
    Current wholesale is @ $12-13,000
  • Options
    Trade in the $12-13,000 range.
  • Options
    It's a V6...so $16,000...thanks volvomax...
  • Options
    Sorry my mistake.I overlooked that it was an 06.I thought it was an 04..So around 19k for an 06 is appropriate asking price.
  • Options
    rprossilrprossil Member Posts: 62
    Thanks volvomax - so the buyout of $14,800-$14,900 isnt that bad,compared to what I'd be looking at retail, and I know the history.
  • Options
    I always thought Boxsters were girl cars.

Then, put a dress on me and call me, Shirley... :)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    Shirley, I'll bet you look good in a Boxter :shades:
  • Options
    jayriderjayrider Member Posts: 3,602
    Shifty,at least have the decency to shave your legs.
  • Options
    I'd hold on to the Boxster if you can, even just buy another (used?) car and drive 2 cars.

Look at what happened to NA Miatas. They were hot when they came out, people paid over sticker. I knew a guy who paid $1750 above sticker price for his, and it was a '91, 2nd year they were out.

Then came the steep depreciation. As they produced enough that everyone who really wanted one, was able to buy one, supply finally met demand, values started to plunge. What was $25k became a $10k used car in just a few short years. Ouch.

But then something strange happened. Not only did prices bottom out, values of well maintained NA models actually started going UP! Some folks were nostalgic for the simple, basic original, as Mazda kept adding weight and complexity to it.

Right now a Miata in any sort of decent shape won't go for less than $3-4 grand no matter how old or how many miles.

I have a feeling that Boxster prices will level and not go below a certain point, either. Question is, what price level will that be? $10 or 15 grand is my guess. If you maintain it well, it will probably never be worth any less than that.
  • Options
    Pretty much echoes what a lot of folks here say:

Dealers: Prices in used-vehicle guides often outdated

They have a whole article about it.
  • Options
    bvdj84bvdj84 Member Posts: 1,724
    Hello,

I know that I have inquired about "trading" my car before. 2008 Pontiac G6.
    However, I am now wondering if I should just bite the bullet, and offer it as a lease transfer on Swapalease. I have a cheaper lease, its loaded with everything! except the V6. But, I wonder whether or not someone would want one now that the brand is done. I have a feeling that its a 50/50 chance that if I hold onto it, I might be deeper in the hole as a go. I cannot possibly trade now, dealers just shun me on the phone, but never actually tried in person yet! People trade and get new cars all the time.

So, investing $150 or so to have it transferred or hold onto it.
    Has anyone had luck in doing so?
    I just want to be done with it!
  • Options
    sebring95sebring95 Member Posts: 3,241
    I've done some lease assumptions...and generally I look for a killer deal. Generally the leases that are assumed quickly have a very low payment, very low miles, a big cash incentive, or some combination of all three. For example...the first lease I assumed was a 12 month old Chevy Silverado 4x4 Ext. cab with 5k miles for $249/month. The "seller" paid the $595 that GM charges to transfer a lease. That was a very good deal and I snatched it up right away. Nobody in their right mind would assume someone else's BAD deal, which is most of the deals on the lease trader sites.

So I don't know the details of your G6, but expect to throw some money on the table AND pay the GM transfer fee as a starting point. Look at other G6 deals out there that are pending....that should give you a good idea of what it will take.
  • Options
    itguy79itguy79 Member Posts: 4
    Thought I would just follow up. Just bought an '06 TSX w/Navi and 32K miles. Dealership listed it for 21,980....I paid 20K even. Based upon dealing with multiple Acura dealerships in my area, this was the best I could do. Also, the car was certified. Location..suburbs of Chicago. Love this car.
  • Options
    robbiegrobbieg Member Posts: 346
    Looking for "new" car in Pittsburgh. I am torn between a 2008 Passat with 30,000 miles on it for 16,500 or a S40 with 20,000 for 17,500. They both basically have a few options but are clearly not loaded. Anyway, I think they are pretty similar cars with the Passat being slightly larger. I only really need to have a backseat big enought to hold a couple of kids. What would you do?

The are both at independent used car shops and are not certified. The price on the S40 seems very good in comparison to "asking" prices of similar cars elsewhere on the web. I had a VW in the past, a 1999 GTI and it wasn't the most reliable car. Is a Volvo significantly better than a VW in terms of reliability or is is pretty much a wash?
  • Options
    In my experience and knowledge, for what its worth, the Volvo is more reliable.

I think, maybe, possibly, Volvo has better resale, too. But don't quote me.

• Options
    I went on a road trip from DC to NYC in a Volvo V50, I forget the model but it was a turbo with a manual trans.

It's a bit small inside, but certainly roomy enough for kids.

My complaint was road noise - after a while it got really tiresome.

If you plan to take long trips with the kids in the back seat, do them a favor and get the Passat.

On that same trip we swapped cars for the last hour or so, on the way back, and drove a Volvo XC90 from Baltimore to DC. Now that was nice....
  • Options
    Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,981
    I was looking last month for a pre-owned S40, my mechanic warned me about costly repairs & parts when work is needed and basically told me I was an idiot for even thinking about swapping my Civic for one. After being totally unimpressed with the driver seat comfort & flexibility, I have severe spinal issues which are just getting worse, I basically gave up on the idea and will be keeping the Civic. Took my Relax The Back Store seat cushion and threw it in the Civic which solved the one problem with seat comfort. The other problem with seat height flexibility will be solved when I do purchase new, whenever that will be.
    So, though I still love the looks of the S40, and the Jetta also for that matter, no new car and I'd give you the same advice. The S40 was on the smallish side, sat in the backseat and was underwhelmed with it's small size, I'd go for the slightly larger Passat if I were you. Good prices for both but the bigger Passat seems likr the logical choice for you & your situation.

The Sandman :sick: :shades:

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)