Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

High End Luxury Cars

Comments

• porknbeansporknbeans Posts: 464
    Point noted and thanks for the clarification.
    Porknbeans

Grand High Poobah
    The Fraternal Order of Procrastinators
  • merc1merc1 Posts: 6,081
    Speaking of the Phaeton, it was just tested on Auto, Motor und Sport TV tonight. It's an awesome car. I think VW can sell 5000 a year here, especially if the import the V10 (313hp/500lb-ft tq), and the V8 (335hp) versions also.

M
  • jstylejstyle Posts: 129
    MB has released the press info on the 2003 S and documented the changes/modifications. There really isn't all that much except for engines (500hp V12 is nice) and 4-matic. Interior looks the same and exterior changes are hardly noticable. Worth checking out though

www.germancarfans.com
  • whothemanwhotheman Posts: 169
    The face (front fascia) is awesome! The best in the class. The weight might be a problem, but it will imbue a feeling of solidity and composure.

The three factors that will spell it's fate are:

The buying experience. How will it change from the other VM purchases?

The Price. Will it be more than a well-equipped LS ($60k)? More than a new 7 (High $60's)?

The advertising. Will they get a Lexus ad campaign (Perfect), or an Infiniti ad campaign (lost)?
  • I think if they advertise it as the people's luxury car... like the car any democratic-minded person deserves after working hard for years.. it'll sell well. It's really a fantastic car.

It's so heavy, however, that the base V6 (at least the V6 in Europe) only propels the car to 60mph in 9.0 seconds. A bit slow.
  • wishnhigh1wishnhigh1 Posts: 363
    I dont think you should worry about advertising...Volkswagen has already proven that they are one of the top corporations in the world(not just car corporations) in advertising effectiveness.
    VW can advertise with the best of them! But they can't use the same agency/approach they do with Jettas!

The First W8 commercial, with the kid riding his bike was corny! That wasn't a good ad! To introduce a new level of power and luxury to a car company!

The W8 and Pheaton need their own marketing arm, dealership location, and slogan/motto/tagline. Time to step up into the major leagues!
    Just took a look at the pics on the DC website. Nice front lights and AMG body update. 2003 S-Class rear lights and it looks like the interior buttons are sleeker and smaller. Much bigger 16:9 format COMAND display. But the real news a 500HP V8 with Paddle shifters on the steering wheel. Even an update to the ABC system. Again MB makes the mid cycle updates the best time to buy the car in the model life. Now for the question. With BMW 745i/Pheaton/Jag's 2003 XJ redesign/MB' S-Class update/Audi's new A8...Does anyone know of the rumored significant Lexus LS updates and when these will take place? Looks like all the European models are changed what about Lexus. Perhaps a performance model a la AMG.
  • Jaguar is building a larger XJ on the platform which is being called the X350. The X35 is supposedly the stretched platform of the Lincoln Ls/Jaguar S-Type. British papers supposedly confirmed but I don't know how true it is the Volvo S100 Inline 8 or Inline 10 Sedan.
    Holy cow. That CL55 looks like it would eat my S500 for lunch. Quad exhaust and a huge front intake. I personaly think the S Class is a little over the top. For some reason the exaggerated front looks out of place. Perhaps it is in the picture only and it looks better in the flesh.
    I'm sure it will. What I find "interesting" though is that Mercedes has two cars with the same hp, the S55/S600 and CL55/CL600.

M
    Yes, I noticed the HP is those models. I think the 600 models will probably be much more luxurious inside and have more features if they are to seperate them from the sport AMG models. Interesting marketing move, complete luxury vs. sports driving experience. Hey which would you want? Me CL55 giving the choice.
    Yep, I'd take the CL55 too. But if possible I'd have a S600 also. The sportier, more vocal
    engine for the coupe the smoother one for the sedan. I guess the new SL600 will get the
    same 5.5L bi-turbo V12 too huh?

M
    Actually its not the first time Bentley and Rolls have had to recall their cars. With such a small volume of cars they can pretty much keep it hush-hush, contacting each owner by phone.

M
    Lexus is finishing the details on a new "Sport" model for the 2004 Lexus LS line!

Called the Lexus LS500, with a 5.0L V8, it'll have 360HP! More than the next A8, 745i, or S500!

It'll be available "next summer".

whotheman
  • Is there a link where I can view this for myself?

What's preventing Mercedes or BMW from uprating their engines?

And the A8 will have a W12 (if not here in the US) which will have 400hp.
  • wishnhigh1wishnhigh1 Posts: 363
    And what is the price on this "sport" LS500?

Where is the sport in a full sized luxury sedan anyway? I can see fast, but I would imagine they all handle like whales.
  • ljflxljflx Posts: 4,690
    Based on my dealer info this past Saturday the LS500 was set to become the standard car in 2004 replacing the LS430 and there may be a 12 cyl. LS600 as well. Jury is still out on the latter one yet though. They apparently are weighing a super Lexus 12 cylinder in the middle of the decade and are undecided about building a standard 12 cyl, a super 12cyl (Maybach like but priced a lot lower and more volume oriented) or both. The 500 engine will also go into the SC and probably the GS.

You better have very deep pockets to compete in this space!
  • adu1adu1 Posts: 47
    I wonder if they're moving to a 5.0 V-8 as standard in order to move the car a bit more upmarket? That could be done in order to accommodate the GS line moving a bit upstream (to truly parallel the E-Class Mercedes in its pricing structure -- and, of course, the E-Class V-8 moves to 5.0 liters this fall). I guess that the price of a *loaded* ES moved up with the '02 redesign, so perhaps that creates the need for the rest of the range eventually to shift up a bit. Thoughts?