Options

Chevrolet Impala Audio

Comments

• Options
    night_owl1night_owl1 Member Posts: 760
    Dunno
    Dunno
    No

I think someone did have the power answers a while ago. Sorry I couldn't provide more info. However, you might want to read the Radio FAQ on the How-To page for more info.

www.ImpalaHQ.com
  • Options
    bulletzbulletz Member Posts: 3
    Hi,

I just bought a 2000 LS with 37000 miles. It has the standard problems: warp routers, etc. However, I have encounter one usual problem that I hoping someone else might have seen.

If I'm playing a CD on the stock system, each time I hit the break the volume goes down and each when I accelerate the volume goes up.

Talk about weird. Any help would be great.

Thanks!

BH
  • Options
    mke9c5mke9c5 Member Posts: 18
    Has anyone installed an XM radio receiver in their LS with the RDS cass/cd stereo? I'm seriously considering the Sony unit that can be in the car or house for my '02 LS...any info would be great, especially any effects to OnStar...
  • Options
    sweigardsweigard Member Posts: 9
    Might be associated with the "auto volume" selection button on the radio... 4 choices, off, low, medium, high.

Select off for no vehicle noise volume compensation.
  • Options
    chet10chet10 Member Posts: 1
    picked up a 2003 impala last wk. its a lease thru my company.it has am/fm/cass/cd, no amp. have some a.d.s. component speakers to use. will machine spacer plates for the 6.5"s . tweeters are another matter. since this is a lease don"t want to cut into doors. am looking into molding some 2-component foam pods that would fit on top of the dash,in the corners,against the front pillar. should give a excellent front stage when aimed right. covered in vinyl/leather to match dash should look fine. this will take some time, will take some photos to post as i go. it is also possible i may be able to use a very small compression horn type speaker (like that used by IASCA grand national winner a few years ago.)i think u.s. speakers will make them on demand.ohh well,so much to do/ so ..... will keep you posted. this is just the start!
  • Options
    2001impala20012001impala2001 Member Posts: 2
    Hey. I hear you want to install a XM radio and Sony deck. sony may have all the neat things on it but the chip they use is just plan crap. I have a 2 year old diskman of there's and I had a home theatre amp. The problem was, if you turn it up about middle to high the speakers sound like they are distorting. They aren't its the chip that Sony uses screwing it up. I'd for anything besides Sony. i dunno anything about on star though.
  • Options
    The "chip"? Yeah. It must be that universal chip that Sony uses on everything it makes. It definitely couldn't have been the speakers.
  • Options
    Thanks guys...I'm not sold on the XM setup yet, but now I found out they will be offering other info in addition to just music/talk next year. Thanks for the heads-up on the Sony unit. I'll have to look at the others now. My OnStar contract is up next month and I'm considering not renewing it...will have to see what cell air time packages they have.
  • Options
    I was being sarcastic. Sony makes fine electronics. Their speakers aren't very good though.
  • Options
    gp....thanks. Hard to tell when it's written. Still mulling over the OnStar renewal. Will take further action then. Thanks.
  • Options
    kenbuzzkenbuzz Member Posts: 99
    I had an XM reciever installed three months ago and have had no problems whatsoever. I got the Pioneer modulated unit, and the stuff I've been hearing has been so clean its brought tears to my eyes. It's like the difference between LPs and CDs, or when you first see a DVD after years of VHS.... absolutely fantastic.

There was one minor installation-related hiccup, having to do with power. Since the Impala does NOT power down all of the radio gear until you open the door, I had to decide whether the XM reciever would be likewise powered after key removal but before I open the door. If I wanted the reciever to continue to operate after key removal, I would've had to use the aux power tap (behind the glove box), but I want to save that in case I decide to install a CD Changer. So instead, we used a line that powers down with the key. Net result, when I get out of the car, XM will shut off but the radio keeps going.

I may rethink my decision later and re-wire power via the aux tap.
  • Options
    2002ls2002ls Member Posts: 11
    Hi Everyone: I have a 2002 Impala LS and am having a problem advancing beyond track 29 on any CD with more than 29 tracks. If I advance to track 33, it goes back to 29. As usual, the dealer says that this is normal and I tried a 2003 Impala and a 2002 Olds and they did the same thing. However, the CD worked fine in a 2001 Impala. The CD plays fine if you let it play all the way through. Can anyone shed some light on this? Thanx, Steve
  • Options
    02lssport02lssport Member Posts: 75
    Has anyone tired to just add a sub with an amp to an otherwise stock RDS stereo? Does it work and how did you do it. Thanks!
  • Options
  • Options
    I guess the answer is no. =)

You could just tap into the rear speaker wires and feed that into a speaker level sub amp input.
  • Options
    otto42otto42 Member Posts: 33
    I don't recall seeing this in the manual, but maybe I missed it.

Anyway, data enabled stations can send out a time signal. If you happen to be on such a station, hold the HR and MIN buttons together for a few seconds and it'll set your time to be the same as the station's signal. If the radio station isn't sending out a signal, it'll say "NO UPDATE" on the display for a few seconds and then go back to normal.
  • Options
    "You could just tap into the rear speaker wires and feed that into a speaker level sub amp input."

Is it relatively easy to do cause I have no idea? I was quoted a price from a sound shop of $350 for the amp, sub, and install. Good price or do they have no idea what they are in for?

Or am I better of just taking out the GM installed AMP and putting in a better one with two new rear speakers? I'm kinda leaning towards this now if it can be done without too much trouble. What do you guys think?
  • Options
    reeferreefer Member Posts: 37
    I have the Sony XM radio in my 02 LS. It works great and I find no interference with On Star. I can take the Sony module out and take it into the house where I run it through the stereo. It's definitely worth the $10 per month. I bought this unit before the Delphi model came out. It looks good too.
  • Options
    teenintyteeninty Member Posts: 9
    hey the amp install is going to require you to get to the amp wiring under the rear deck that means you have to remove the back seat, rear deck covers, side covers and any thing else that may be in the way. i installed a ma system using the help from impala hq i've replaced the stock with a ma-486 800watt four channel to run mids and highs (replaced speakers with ma equipment) then all i had to do to install the subs and subamp was to come off the rca jacks of the new amp
    none of the install from the orginal amp to the new amp was ez but it was simple to replace all the speakers while i had the rear deck out
  • Options
    atbearatbear Member Posts: 322
    Hey guys, I have a 2002 LS with AM/FM/CD/Cass Amp and the "8 speaker" system (it's really only 4, but whatever). Garypen suggested on the other forum that it might be a good idea to change out the speakers... Which speakers are the best? I listen to Rock music (Classic Rock/80s Rock/Metal) that has lots of guitar, both rhythm and solos. Would speakers give me a nice gain in sound quality? Should the amp be replaced (probably no gonna do that)? Should the head unit be replaced (no gonna do that either)? How much gain would just speakers provide in loudness and clarity? Thanks guys...... sure this has been hashed around before a ton, but I'd like a custom diagnosis! Appreciate the help
  • Options
    I can't really say if $350 is a good price. It depends on what amp and speakers they are going to install. Also how are they going to install it and are they running power back there for the amp. Is it a reputable company and will they back their work if something goes wrong?
  • Options
    Woo boy, you just opened a can of worms. You just asked which speaker people think is best. =)

I heard that Sony speakers are not that good and a friend of mine swears by Boston Acoustics. I have a Polk Audio home theater speaker system and they sound great. I would probably get Polk speakers just because I am so happy with the home theater ones.

Changing the amp is always good, but there are a lot of things to consider. Line level-speaker level switching by the factory head unit, new power line, ACC power, etc.

Head unit change out is even more problematic. Do you want to relocate the head unit? ACC source...

Here is my question. I realize that 2 way speakers are better than one full range, but for an automotive application where you are using the stock unit and maybe a better amp, is it really worth getting a 3 way (or even a 4 way)? Because I want to keep stock appearance, I do not want to go with separates.
  • Options
    I probably wouldn't be interested in changing the head unit or the amp. I like what I have and the compatability of everything (RDS). I'd probably want a 3-way speaker so I could listen to my music as clear as it could be (rhythm and solos). Having said that, I don't know anything about it, so I'm asking!
  • Options
    I was advised to get these as a cheap speaker solution, and they look to be good speakers (for the price):

http://www.bsless.com/6987.html

Does anybody have a speaker install procedure for the rear? I'd like to know what I'm doing before I order (although I'm sure it's pretty simple).

• Options
    grvdiggazgrvdiggaz Member Posts: 12
    I personaly would not buy the speakers you linked Pyramid, Crunch, Prestige, Audiovox, Power Acoustics, rampage. I would stay away from unless I had blown my factorys and had only 40 bucks to buy new speakers but then again I am the kind of person who would Dump 3k - 10k into a stereo if i had the money I just spent 1900 on two amps and two subs.

some other Cheeper Brands that a descent Quality you might want to look at is
    Infinty, Poineer, Polk audio You can get a good set of 6x9s 3way for around ~100 - 200
    check out www.Crutchfield.com
  • Options
    How about these: they were suggested to me over the Pyramids.. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=14942&item=1945825808

Anybody have a rear speaker install procedure? Thanks for helping!

• Options
    I just posted something. Check the site

http://www.impalahq.com/

Merry Christmas everyone!

• Options
    Blaupunkt is an ok brand for 33 bux they might be worth a shot I dont really know how much better they are then the stock speakers.

I have never heard they before so I cant say from experiance.
  • Options
    Thanks a lot, Nathan! That really helps me out. Merry Christmas everyone!
  • Options
    I went ahead and got/installed the 12 disc changer from Radio's and More in my 2002 LS. Works perfectly. I had to use the cable/harness they supplied, as there was not one in my car already. But getting Onstar to keep working was a cinch, you just have to yank the pins out of the old connector and put them in the new connector. Easy and simple. Well, annoying, in fact. I ripped the wire off one of the pins while removing it and had to solder it back onto the connector, but it worked well enough when all was said and done.

Of course, getting the dashboard off is neither easy nor simple, but once you've got it off, then you can do the whole thing easily enough. Forget about trying to access the radio from underneath by taking the center console apart. Not going to happen. Just take the dash off and pull the radio out, first thing. The wire can be run around the passenger side easily, just pull the door molding off (it clips on all around) and shove the wire under the carpet. When you get to the back seat, you'll find that it's possible to shove the wire around and get it to come up in the same place that the seatbelt does from the carpet. Tight fit though, would be much easier to take out the back seat, but if you don't want that much effort, you can do it. Then you can drop it behind the seat by removing two bolts from the top of the seat. After that, run it behind the carpet in the trunk and then up to the spot you're putting the changer. There's also a very convienent hollow bump running along the roof of the trunk that you can run the wiring through to connect to the changer and remain hidden, even if you want to put it on the driver's side.

A three point mount is about the best you can do on the trunk roof. Forget bolting, anywhere that you have a flush mount point, use a self tapping sheet metal screw. Get the good ones. Drill the smallest hole you can for a pilot, then put that self tapping sucker in there and drill it in place. It won't ever come loose by itself. Problem solved, especially since bolting that would be a real pain. But for the other distance mounts, buy some two inch bolts and nuts and a bunch of washers. Also, some rubber washers or gromits to give the thing a bit of give wouldn't be out of line.

Anyway, works great. Just some tips from me. :D
  • Options
    I got these speakers for the rear: http://www.bsless.com/6987.html

They sound ok, but I'd like a little more bass. Their highs are pretty good, but they don't have as much bass as the factory speakers in my opinion (maybe they aren't being pushed enough?). What should I do? I have adjusted the bass/treble.. but it's hard because if I turn the bass up all the way the front speakers have too much bass. If I turn it down, the rears don't have enough. Do I need a sub or amp? Is there some simple solution (like maybe putting a box around the rear speakers in the trunk)? I don't know anything about audio systems, so please help. I listen to rock music with driving guitar and good solos. Thanks!!
  • Options
    Would installing a box around the rear speakers in the trunk help bass? How about foam speaker baffles?
  • Options
    I think to get more bass you will have to get an amp for those new speakers.

You probably won't want to do this now but I talked to an audio installer and he said that the best and least expensive way to get more out of the stock system is to add an amp and a sub. Then you turn the bass down on the system so that your bass comes from the sub while the stock speakers just handle the highs. That is what I might do with my system.
  • Options
    ckeseyckesey Member Posts: 3
    Is anyone else having problems out of their 02 LS AM/FM/CD/Cass??? I’m on my 3rd radio because it won't keep time. The first one was a little off...the second one was horrible and the third one is not any better. They (supposedly) checked the wires going to these radios and they checked out ok. The dealer as called HQ to get someone to come in and look at my car and see what they think but I haven’t heard back yet. Any suggestions??? Anyone else having this problem too?????
  • Options
    I have an '02 FM/AM/CD/Cass deck, and it works fine. What exactly is the problem? You say it won't keep time, but do you mean that it resets everytime you turn off the car or what, exactly?

The thing about most car radios is that they have two power wires, one is always on, one is controlled by the key. The Impala radio though only has one always on power line, and it gets turned on or off by a command over the class 2 serial bus. So if the power line somehow hooked to the key instead of being always on, then yeah, it will shut off and lose time when you shut off the car.

Easy way to tell: when you turn off the car, the radio should stay on until you open the car door. That triggers the off command. If you turn off the car and the radio cuts out, then it's wired wrong.
  • Options
    etcarrolletcarroll Member Posts: 87
    I have an '01 LS that I brought in 3 times for radio problems. First, wouldn't tune correctly, then wouldn't light up. After 2nd 'fix' it now loses 1 minute a day, but I've learned to live with it, just tune to an RDS station and reset time time on entering. It's a radio/CD combo unit.
  • Options
    ckeseyckesey Member Posts: 3
    Yes that is exactly what mine is doing. It looses about a min a day but at its worse it lost about 7 or 8 a day. That bugs the crap out of me. Anyone else having this problem? Sorry about not being clear....it won't keep time because it is slow. Sometime by a min a day and then sometimes it gets to 7 or 8 a day. It does seem to be worse when I don't drive it one day and then check it the next. I guess its just another trip to the dealer Any Suggestions?
  • Options
    I can't think of any reason for it to lose time. Mine has stayed synched with my other timepieces (mainly, my cell phone) since the last time I set it (which would be whenever the last daylight time change was).
  • Options
    03_impala03_impala Member Posts: 6
    I found this group while searching for info on why my 2003 Impala's sound is just so-so...not great. It's so boomy. Here, and on impalahq.com, was the valuable advice to see if I had the (bad) 10432572 amp or the (good) 10309548 one. Well, mine says it's 10449235! Man, nothing's ever easy! Any suggestions along those lines? I need to stay on budget, so a factory amp is all that's in the cards...although I'd like the "best" of the factory amps.

The 6x9's will be replaced eventually. The 2003's split folding rear seats should make access to the rear speakers easier.
  • Options
    impala17impala17 Member Posts: 2
    I have read through much of this forum and really haven't found an answer to one of my questions. I have a 2001 impala and would really like to improve its sound. I don't want to remove the stock amp if passable and I am curious to see if anyone has bridged their stock am to a new more powerful one. I want to buy an amp and run some subs off of it. Does anyone have any good information about a really cheap and easy way to do this.
  • Options
    "The 6x9's will be replaced eventually. The 2003's split folding rear seats should make access to the rear speakers easier."

HA! Should be that way huh? It's actually a huge ordeal... go to www.impalahq.com to learn how huge..
  • Options
    my2000impalamy2000impala Member Posts: 4
    Well, I finally got my new amp (Bazooka 750 watt) and 2 MTX 10's hooked up and they hit hard (even with my factory headunit). But I've been reading up on the crappy amp that comes in the 2000's. i emailed my local dealer to see if they would swap it out for me. For those who have the newer one or got the replacement, can you tell a big difference in the sound? I can barely hear the highs being played over all the bass rattling throughout my car. Let me know if anyone likes the new amp. Also, I've got a 250 watt amp left over...is it possible to replace my factory amp with that one?

Thanks
  • Options
    Check out http://www.impalahq.com/ in the how-to section.

Quote - "Actually, if he tapped directly from the factory amp input and left the amp plugged in, I think he could have left out the converters."

Quote - "If you have the factory trunk amp, you can tap into that amp's "enable" line. It should be the white wire in that harness"
  • Options
    impala17impala17 Member Posts: 2
    There are still some things I don't understand. So you can use the white Enable wire to power the new amp?? What would you have to do to it. And after the mods did his front and rear speakers still run off his stock amp or off the new one? And does this pose a threat to blowing the speakers?? Was the new amp getting its signal from the old one or straight from the head unit. And what purpose do the converters serve. It seems to me that if you leave the stock amp plugged in they are useless. I'd appreciate it if you could clear up some of these questions.
  • Options
    The white Enable wire isn't used to power the amp,it is the remote turn on line.

I didn't replace the speakers. I just wrote up how to do it.

In a standard system (not the Impala) the head unit sends speaker level (amplified) audio signal to the speakers. If you install an amp, normally you want the head unit to send a line level (unamplified) input to the amp and have the amp send speaker level output to the speakers. If your head unit does not have line level output, then you need to install a converter that changes speaker level to line level.

The Impala radio is a bit tricky. The head unit knows when a factory external amp in connected. If an amp exists, it sends line level signals to the amp. If an amp does not exist, the head unit uses it's internal amp to boost the signal to speaker level. So if you leave the factory amp connected, the head unit will send line level and you can tap into the factory amp inputs for your aftermarket amp. If you remove the factory amp, the head unit will send speaker level to the back and you will have to use converts or have an amp that can handle speaker level inputs.

Clayton ran into this problem when he left the factory amp in place then tapped line level converters into the factory amp input. So the head unit was sending line level to the factory amp, then the converters would drop the line level to sub-line level and the new amp didn't see any signal at all.
  • Options
    Yes, the white enable line is for power on/off.

I talked to a radio installer and he also said that the audio input line into the factory amp can be tapped into for a new amp but you have to leave the factory amp in place.

You have to run power from the battery to the new amp.

It doesn't sound too bad but this guy actually quoted me a price of $540 for a Poineer amp and one Sony 12" sub with installation. What a rip off.
  • Options
    Does any one know what the AWG of the stock wires are from the Trunk amp to the speakers and is there a Harness someware that I can plug in to the plug that goes to the amp so I dont have to cut the stock plug off?
  • Options
    I read in the specs that the Impala SS has a 200 watt amp. Is this larger then the one we have now in the regular Impala. If it is I wonder if we can buy this 200 watt amp to upgrade a regular Impala system. We will probably need new rear speakers too. Anyone know?
  • Options
    I don't know about the other models, but the LS with the premium sound has the 200 Watt amp in there already. That's the normal one.
  • Options
    OK cool. I have a 2002 LS so I must already have the 200 watt. Its pretty darn loud but I guess you always want more right. I might look into putting new speakers in the rear. I know some have done this. How's the sound with new rear speakers and the factory 200 watt amp?